Anime Central Forums: When Did You Start Watching Anime - Anime Central Forums

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

When Did You Start Watching Anime

Poll: When did you start watching anime (244 member(s) have cast votes)

Year

1. -1975 (6 votes [2.46%])

Percentage of vote: 2.46%

2. 1976-1980 (1 votes [0.41%])

Percentage of vote: 0.41%

3. 1981-1985 (11 votes [4.51%])

Percentage of vote: 4.51%

4. 1986-1990 (24 votes [9.84%])

Percentage of vote: 9.84%

5. 1991-1995 (66 votes [27.05%])

Percentage of vote: 27.05%

6. 1996-2000 (76 votes [31.15%])

Percentage of vote: 31.15%

7. 2001-2005 (39 votes [15.98%])

Percentage of vote: 15.98%

8. 2005- (21 votes [8.61%])

Percentage of vote: 8.61%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   jsieczkar 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 17116

Posted 26 August 2008 - 06:18 AM

When did you start watching anime, and what was the first program that you saw?

My first anime was a grainy VHS fansub of the original Mobile Suit Gundam, fallowed by Macross. In the late 1989 I saw Akira in the theaters.

This post has been edited by jsieczkar: 05 March 2009 - 10:17 PM

2008-2009 IRT - Callsign JR
2010 IRT Dispatch - Callsign JR
2011-Present Industry Relations Manager

#2 User is offline   opimus.rm 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 28

Posted 26 August 2008 - 08:03 AM

Poll does not go back far enough I started with Marine Boy on WGN in 60's.
I'm just a Mazinger in a rock and roll band!

#3 User is offline   Voxx 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 16994

Posted 26 August 2008 - 08:15 AM

Well my uncle says that I was watching anime since I was born XP when hed babysit me he would watch Patlabor and Macross. The first anime I remember seeing was Slayers and Record Of Lodoss War XP
Allons-y Sugar Pea!

#4 User is offline   McWeen 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 9359

Posted 26 August 2008 - 11:13 AM

For more recent fans (last 15 years) how many bought anime on VHS?
I wish I had something clever to put here :-(

#5 User is offline   this_chick25 

• Registration Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderator
  • Member No.: 7489

Posted 26 August 2008 - 11:24 AM

I remember seeing Astro Boy as a child, and this one (that I can't remember the name) about this group of people looking for the Seven Cities of Gold when I was 4 or 5. From that point on, I always loved the anime style, and later on when I saw my first epis of Sailor Moon, I latched back on with a vengeance!

I have anime on VHS--Dragon Half, Ranma, Utena, Otaku no Video, and some others that I can't recall right now. I would have to sort through my stuff and find that box.

This post has been edited by this_chick25: 26 August 2008 - 11:25 AM

Acen Attendee since 2001
Wondering how much to save for ACen? Click here!
FREE! Cosplay construction and materials advice--get yours now!
Never cause more mischief than that which is necessary for success.
Sig invade'd'd'd'd'd'd'd'd'd by Alk <3

#6 User is offline   Voxx 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 26 August 2008 - 12:37 PM

View PostMcWeen, on Aug 26 2008, 12:13 PM, said:

I actually have Slayers, Those Who Hunt Elves, Yu Yu Hakusho, and Vampire Hunter D on VHS ^.^
Allons-y Sugar Pea!

#7 User is offline   XenoBlade 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 9384

Posted 26 August 2008 - 12:40 PM

Voltron! I almost forgot about Voltron. I liked that show as a kid.

But what got me into anime was *cough Dragon Ball Z *cough.
ACen 2013 Cosplays
Dragon Ball Z-Piccolo
Zero Escape 2: Virtue's Last Reward-Sigma
3rd cosplay:Either Zoro(One Piece),Sazh(Final Fantasy XIII), or Gintoki(Gintama).
"Sometimes I do suspect, I'm an actor in a well scripted live divine comedy..."-Shing02

#8 User is offline   jsieczkar 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 17116

Posted 26 August 2008 - 01:33 PM

View PostMcWeen, on Aug 26 2008, 01:13 PM, said:

I'm not sure if I bought any, but I worked on several VHS fansubs. I still have the Streamline Laser Disc of Akira, although I have nothing to play it on.

View PostXenoBlade, on Aug 26 2008, 02:40 PM, said:

Voltron! I almost forgot about Voltron. I liked that show as a kid.

But what got me into anime was *cough Dragon Ball Z *cough.

Dragon Ball Z really was the first show that was on TV in a unaltered state and I would be interested in seeing if DBZ or Narato has gotten more people into anime for the long run.
2008-2009 IRT - Callsign JR
2010 IRT Dispatch - Callsign JR
2011-Present Industry Relations Manager

#9 User is offline   chamgirl89 

• Tentacle Glomper
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 10098

Posted 26 August 2008 - 02:03 PM

I started watching anime when I was in 7th grade (2003/2004). Dragon Ball, DBZ, Yu Yu Hakusho, and Ruroni Kenshin were my first shows.
Tekosexual

cosplay plans for '14- Friday: Battle City Mai Valentine (Yugioh), gijinka Tentacool (Pokemon). Saturday: Casual Mamoru (Sailor Moon), Gracia Hughes (original FMA), Lady Bow (Paper Mario), Fluttershy (MLP: Friendship is Magic)

add me on Facebook!

#10 User is offline   cloudacmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 17980

Posted 26 August 2008 - 02:11 PM

in 96 for me. didn't know pokemon was an anime then though, as well as other shows.
facebook: http://www.facebook.com/cloudacmaster
Cosplays did not happen in 2009, thanks to finals. Things are not looking good in 2010 either :/ I may not make it til Acen until Sat. evening.
Forum Doctor and Forum weather man!

#11 User is offline   Professor_Hojo @_@ 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 10054

Posted 26 August 2008 - 06:24 PM

Pokemon was the first show that i was aware was an anime. I prolly shoulda voted 91-95, cuz my Grandma had these obscure weird cartoons that must of been in a dollar store bargain bin. But there was some anime like Bumpity Boo and Sherlock Hound. Bumpity Boo was a favorite. Only until much later at the copyright that i found it was an anime. Nippon TV made it.
ACen '12 Cosplays!!: ??????????????????

Visit me on Facebook! Tumblr! Twitter! DeviantArt!

#12 User is offline   sentinel28a 

• Mad Irishman
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 1435

Posted 26 August 2008 - 06:59 PM

I actually answered wrong in the polls--I watched Battle of the Planets (extremely kiddified and dumbed-down version of Gatchaman) when I was six years old...back in the 70s. (Now I feel very old.) Then I watched Robotech in the 80s of course.

But the first "real" uncensored and unchanged anime I watched was Bubblegum Crisis in 1990. That's what got me hooked. It's still one of my favorites.

Ben Da Mad Irishman
"Konya wa hurricane!"
See my art. Love it. Hug it. http://sentinel28a.d...art.com/gallery
Read my fanfiction. NOW. You'll thank me later.
First Place, Yahoo ACen League, 2006
First Place, NFL.com Otaku Amefuto League, 2012

Those who stand for nothing will fall for anything.
BEAR CAV!

#13 User is offline   Lezzy-cat 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 7032

Posted 26 August 2008 - 08:17 PM

I'm pretty sure Sailor Moon was my first anime. ^^ The first non-TV anime I got into was Tenchi--my friend rented the first movie from Blockbuster and inflicted it on me (waaaaay before Cartoon Network picked up the series), and I rented things on my own there after (hah, I remember digging through the Action section looking for anime XD). Some of my old faves are Devil Hunter Yohko and Project A-ko ^^ Anyone else remember Sci-Fi's Saturday Anime? That was great.. Hah, I still have an old TV recording of Urusei Yatsura: Beautiful Dreamer from when they did Anime Week with Apollo Smile XD

As for the VHS question, hah, most of my collection is VHS XD I just bought a whole bunch at Acen this year too ;) I went crazy picking up Dirty Pair and my missing Project A-ko's ^^<3 One booth just had them so cheap, so I bought a ton of tapes :D
Artist for Catstered Creations
http://www.catsteredcreations.com

#14 User is offline   Voxx 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 26 August 2008 - 09:34 PM

View PostLezzy-cat, on Aug 26 2008, 09:17 PM, said:

I'm pretty sure Sailor Moon was my first anime. ^^ The first non-TV anime I got into was Tenchi--my friend rented the first movie from Blockbuster and inflicted it on me (waaaaay before Cartoon Network picked up the series), and I rented things on my own there after (hah, I remember digging through the Action section looking for anime XD). Some of my old faves are Devil Hunter Yohko and Project A-ko ^^ Anyone else remember Sci-Fi's Saturday Anime? That was great.. Hah, I still have an old TV recording of Urusei Yatsura: Beautiful Dreamer from when they did Anime Week with Apollo Smile XD

As for the VHS question, hah, most of my collection is VHS XD I just bought a whole bunch at Acen this year too ;) I went crazy picking up Dirty Pair and my missing Project A-ko's ^^<3 One booth just had them so cheap, so I bought a ton of tapes :D

Oh man I remember Project A-ko and Urusei Yatsura! XP Ah 80's anime style. I havent seen much of Devil Hunter Yohko though (just clips). I loved Tenchi Muyo! ^.^ Ryo-oh-ki was so cute! I never really got into the newer series of it. I dont know when Ah My Goddess came out but I loved that as well! ^.^
Allons-y Sugar Pea!

#15 User is offline   Lezzy-cat 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 7032

Posted 27 August 2008 - 05:24 AM

View PostSa-chan, on Aug 26 2008, 11:34 PM, said:

Oh man I remember Project A-ko and Urusei Yatsura! XP Ah 80's anime style. I havent seen much of Devil Hunter Yohko though (just clips). I loved Tenchi Muyo! ^.^ Ryo-oh-ki was so cute! I never really got into the newer series of it. I dont know when Ah My Goddess came out but I loved that as well! ^.^

YES Ah My Goddess! XD
Ooo and Ranma, thats old and fun! ^^
Devil Hunter Yohko is great. Its semi serious, semi comedy, semi something you can't watch around your parents (well, the first episode anyway ^^* First stuff I saw was the second and third episodes since Blockbuster had those on one tape, and I loved it--I was also like 12 at the time o.o). I totally want to cosplay her, and make her sword... x.x
I never got into the newer Tenchi series either.. I love Tenchi Universe and Tenchi Muyo Ryo-Ohki, but after that, I couldn't get into it. I tried watching Tenchi in Tokyo when they aired it on Cartoon Network and I couldn't stand it. The artwork just bothered me. o.o I love the movies too! Well, at least the first two, I still haven't gotten around to watching the third (pretty sure I picked that one up at Acen too, I don't remember for sure..).
Artist for Catstered Creations
http://www.catsteredcreations.com

#16 User is offline   nukiuchi 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 9995

Posted 28 August 2008 - 01:07 PM

81-85 for me. Scoobie Unico!! And Battle of the Planets, Gundam, Voltron, Robotech... Man, old school rocks. It's surprising how many series were butchered, rearranged, and edited for the American audience back then, and we didn't even know it. Sure I whine about dubs sometimes, but at least these days they make an honest attempt to be faithful to the original versions (with some exceptions). Thank goodness for contract clauses against editing.

I think at the time I didn't know these shows were called "anime". Or maybe they were already throwing around the term Japanimation by then? *ackchokegag* I was just kid and simply noticed that ooh these shows have awesome drawings and ooh things are exploding and people are actually dying and kissing and omg they killed Roy Fokker nooo!

Perhaps the first anime that left the greatest impression on me of the difference between "cartoons" and "anime" was Nausicaa. Fortunately I watched the original back then and not the chopped-up US version. One of my cousins always had fansubs and bootlegs. Probably from my uncle renting at the shady Asian video store nearby.
(O_o) nukiuchi + kai (^_^)

俺を誰とが思ってやがる~?!

#17 User is offline   Voxx 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 29 August 2008 - 04:08 PM

View Postnukiuchi, on Aug 28 2008, 02:07 PM, said:

81-85 for me. Scoobie Unico!! And Battle of the Planets, Gundam, Voltron, Robotech... Man, old school rocks. It's surprising how many series were butchered, rearranged, and edited for the American audience back then, and we didn't even know it.

*cough* CARDCAPTOR SAKURA & Sailor Moon*cough*

now THOSE were butchered waaay back when! XP
Allons-y Sugar Pea!

#18 User is offline   Kitsu-chan 

• 2+2 = 5
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 6190
  • Location:Hiding from my Sewing machine. Shh... Don't tell it I'm under the bed.

Posted 30 August 2008 - 04:49 PM

I watched Ronin Warriors, Sailor Moon, & DBZ when they were on Cartoon Network. The first series to really hook me though was Ranma 1/2. It was the first anime I ever bought.
Resident Ladyboy of the ACen Forums

Sadly won't be attending ACen 2012. So I'll be taking my cosplay up a notch for 2013.

#19 User is offline   Ashori 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 10991

Posted 30 August 2008 - 10:45 PM

Hmm...around 94-95 with DBZ, then later on with Pokemon. I'm not quite sure what was the correct year; I'm just guessing. I just know DBZ was on Cartoon Network, and I was watching the part of the series where Piccolo was training Gohan before Vegeta and Nappa arrived on Earth. XD
Cosplay Status: Maya Kitajima - Bianca Mask (Pirate Form - 100%; Glass Mask), Lucy Heartfilia (2%; Fairy Tail), Castle of Hearts Alice Liddell (100%; Kuni no Alice series)
My dA | My YouTube Page | My FF.Net Page

#20 User is offline   richan 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 18156

Posted 02 September 2008 - 02:15 PM

My friend suggested to me and my sister in about 6th grade to watch Inuyasha (on Adult Swim). I thought it was going to be really really stupid and was against it at first and making fun of my sister for wanting to watchi i, then, I sat there for a few moments, and couldn't leave after that. It was hypnotized by it. Ever since, I have always loved anime ^__^

Otherwise, I guess Pokemon when I was little, but i had no idea it was anime or from Japan. I jsut thaought it was a wierdly drawn american cartoon

This post has been edited by richan: 02 September 2008 - 02:17 PM

#21 User is offline   LADY SAKURA 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 18295

Posted 06 September 2008 - 01:12 AM

wow i thought i didnt start getting into it until 06 but ive watched pokemans and DragonBall years ago and i actually remember seeing Astro boy but had no idea since i pretty much watched everything on tv back then as a child socially awkward i was and still am lol

i started getting into anime when my boyfriend Showed me Inuyasha :wub:
The Forum Seductress ^_~To be a Tekosexual you must first become one with the tentacles

Facebook Me
Check Art My Dev art page
AIM ME: dsbabygyrl2021

#22 User is offline   KusanagiRobin 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 17338
  • Location:Wanted in the Seireitei for impersonating Byakuya Kuchiki

Posted 06 September 2008 - 02:41 AM

When I was 10. I know I was in the fifth grade. I picked up anime right after I had moved to a different town, and while I was waiting for the cable to be hooked up again, I caught Digimon on FOX. I even still remember my first thought:

"Why are a bunch of weirdly dressed kids walking through the desert?" :lol:

Then AFTER that, I found Sailor Moon on one of those other cable access shows early in the morning before I left for school; I'd always be running for the bus, so a couple of minutes I would have to miss. Not long after that Toonami got it (oh goodness, remember THAT?), so I could watch it AFTER school. I actually started watching Tenchi as well, but then I lost interest for some reason.

Then one of my friends recommended manga to me when she told me the Sailor Moon manga was way better, and I didn't really get back to anime until I caught the premiere of Witch Hunter Robin in...what was it? 2005? Something like that. And the rest is history.
ACen 2014 Cosplay ("From the Spirit World"):
Fem!Ikkaku Madarame (Bleach) :: San (Princess Mononoke) :: Boogiepop/Touka Miyashita (Boogiepop Phantom)

#23 User is offline   akaikurama 

• Panel Programming Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 10043

Posted 06 September 2008 - 05:27 AM

View PostSa-chan, on Aug 29 2008, 05:08 PM, said:

*cough* CARDCAPTOR SAKURA & Sailor Moon*cough*

now THOSE were butchered waaay back when! XP

Oh man tell me about it. They hacked episodes out and tried to pass these off as good series. When you watched the "real" series it was competely different and better.
Remember...
Pics
Short but sweet!!

#24 User is offline   Voxx 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 06 September 2008 - 09:29 AM

View Postakaikurama, on Sep 6 2008, 06:27 AM, said:

Oh man tell me about it. They hacked episodes out and tried to pass these off as good series. When you watched the "real" series it was competely different and better.

Oh yeah and they completely made it look like a kids show when in reality, if they included what the show was REALLY about it wouldnt have been able to even be aired on tv in america XP
Allons-y Sugar Pea!

#25 User is offline   Caffeineaddic125 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 16783

Posted 06 September 2008 - 01:08 PM

View PostSa-chan, on Aug 26 2008, 01:37 PM, said:

I actually have Slayers, Those Who Hunt Elves, Yu Yu Hakusho, and Vampire Hunter D on VHS ^.^

Yeah, my sister gave me some slayers tapes along with tenchi muyo, and my neighbor totoro. I later got a copy of kiki's delivery service. <3
See you space cowboy...

#26 User is offline   i~liek~mudkipz 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 19248

Posted 06 September 2008 - 05:14 PM

1996-2000. The first anime I ever saw was Speed Racer (1996), but the first anime I really got into was DBZ. (Around 2000)
Cosplays for ACen '11:
-Yami Bakura/Florence (Yu-Gi-Oh! Abridged) (0% complete)
-Scar (Fullmetal Alchemist) (0% complete)

#27 User is offline   DJ F00P 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 15390

Posted 08 September 2008 - 06:14 PM

Since I'm only 15, I started in 2001 with dragon ball. since i was 7 ive been watching anime

#28 User is offline   nouseforaname 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 18421

Posted 11 September 2008 - 08:14 PM

When the first episodes of Sailor Moon and Dragonball were aired back to back on tv.
Mighta been a time when I loved her too but you take that away, you always been the one.

ACen cosplay 2012:
Bioshock - Sander Cohen
Fullmetal Alchemist - Greedling

#29 User is offline   Aya 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 16803

Posted 12 September 2008 - 02:10 AM

When I was in kingdergarten I watched Sailormoon. I forgot what tv station it was on but it was when we had cable back then. After that...Speed racer in second grade. And sooo many more.
Possible Cosplay's for ACen 2011
~Futuristic Blood Elf: World of Warcraft/Original Design.(5%)
~Team Rocket Grunt: Pokemon

~Lightning: Final Fantasy XIII (5%)
~Umbreon Gijinka: Pokemon (5%)

#30 User is offline   milesprower06 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 19262

Posted 13 September 2008 - 10:27 PM

Season 1 of Digimon. Episode 4. I didn't even know it was called 'anime' until a few years later.
ACen '09 was the time of my life!

Finished Cosplays:
Takato Matsuki (Digimon Tamers) - 100% Complete
Takato Matsuki and Miles 'Tails' Prower (Hybrid) - 100% Complete

Planned Cosplays:
Miles 'Tails' Prower (Sonic the Hedgehog) - 30% Complete
Albert Wesker (Resident Evil 5) - 0% Complete

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic