Anime Central Forums: Death Note - Anime Central Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Death Note who did U feel the most sorry for on Death note?

#31 User is offline   Aj-chan 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 6981

Posted 18 July 2008 - 01:29 PM

View PostEzERawk, on Jul 18 2008, 09:36 AM, said:

Man, how can you be into the Death Note manga if you don't like to read. It has to be the wordiest manga I've ever read. Oh well, to each his own. I've got Mushi Shi on my list to watch, but not to read. I get weird with what I pick to watch and/or read.

:lol:

I was thinking the same thing.

#32 User is offline   TheMagicWithin 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 5842

Posted 18 July 2008 - 05:20 PM

Spoilers for peoples deaths, yay

I feel bad for Mello. Through the series he is working to be better than Near...he's working to prove something, and in the end all he can do is die FOR Near without getting much credit for it (when asked who brings Light down, Mello isn't your first or even second thought). Poor, poor Mello. I love him so.

Hm. Tied to that can I say Matt for barely getting a part? xD I mean he didn't even do anything and he got one of the more violent deaths in the series.

And Light and L, for the same reasons as mentioned. Wow there are so many people to pity in this series. You can really find a reason to pity almost anyone.
ACen 2014:
John Watson: Sherlock
Charlie: Supernatural

Tardis: Doctor Who

#33 User is offline   KusanagiRobin 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 17338
  • Location:Wanted in the Seireitei for impersonating Byakuya Kuchiki

Posted 18 July 2008 - 05:40 PM

To the point about Death Note being one of the wordiest manga ever, that's so true it's not even funny. It felt more like a novel than a manga. :wacko: So....much...inner dialogue....
ACen 2015 Cosplays ("Personal Idols"):
Lulu (Final Fantasy X/X-2) :: Yomiko Readman (Read or Die OVA) :: possible 3rd??

#34 User is offline   KusanagiRobin 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 20 July 2008 - 09:15 PM

Oh! Thought of another person to pity!

Having finished the manga and going over the anime again, I realize that Aizawa should also be pitied, for the following reasons (spoiler warning ahead!):

1. Ukita's death. While L was right in preventing him from running out to Sakura TV when the whole Second Kira mess went down, you couldn't help but feel sorry for him. I mean, we knew almost squat about Ukita, but you could guess that he and Aizawa were close colleagues, and for him to die so soon so easily, and for him to not be able to help him...that had to be torture.

2. During the Yotsuba arc: when he had to make a decision whether to abandon the investigation or quit his job (plus the fact that he's the only other family man in the team besides Souchiro, and his kids are much younger). And L didn't really make it any better by using his little tests.

3. During the Near arc: coming to terms with his growing suspicions about Light.

4. Souchiro's death, but then again that was a hard blow for everyone (and though Light was his selfish Kira self, I don't think we can say for certain that his tears were completely fake...)

5. This is the biggest reason, and also one of the main reasons I hate Near. After getting that far and that involved in the investigation, he gets told that the rest of the investigation holds no further significance other than to be watchdogs for Light until Near takes all the glory.
Now I realize some fans give the investigation team heat for not suspecting Light sooner, but we also have to remember that we're reading the story objectively. Of course we know what Light's been up to all this time, he's made fools of his family, the investigation team, to a certain degree L, Misa (but we can argue about that), Takada, Mikami (but he kinda made a fool of himself in the end), and half the world. The only thing that really saved Light up until the end was the fact that the Death Note is a supernatural item, something most people have a hard time wrapping their heads around anyway.
And I guess what bothered me about Near was that he was objective to the point of callousness, thinking of people as radicals in an equation, and the fact that the resolution came about mainly from luck. Ironically, while he believed to predict people's actions down to the letter, wasn't the reason that Mikami did what he did arise from the unpredictability of human emotion? Also, he himself admitted that his plan would've probably been a complete bust if Mello (always criticized for acting out of his feelings) hadn't burst in at the last minute and put Takada in the incident that eventually spelled Light's downfall.

Anyway, enough about that; I've talked too much. I feel sorry for Aizawa; end of story. <_<

This post has been edited by KusanagiRobin: 24 July 2008 - 12:11 PM

Lulu (Final Fantasy X/X-2) :: Yomiko Readman (Read or Die OVA) :: possible 3rd??

#35 User is offline   simonsaz3 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 8785

Posted 22 July 2008 - 02:08 PM

View PostKusanagiRobin, on Jul 20 2008, 10:15 PM, said:

Oh! Thought of another person to pity!

Having finished the manga and going over the anime again, I realize that Aizawa should also be pitied, for the following reasons (spoilter warning ahead!):

1. Ukita's death. While L was right in preventing him from running out to Sakura TV when the whole Second Kira mess went down, you couldn't help but feel sorry for him. I mean, we knew almost squat about Ukita, but you could guess that he and Aizawa were close colleagues, and for him to die so soon so easily, and for him to not be able to help him...that had to be torture.

2. During the Yotsuba arc: when he had to make a decision whether to abandon the investigation or quit his job (plus the fact that he's the only other family man in the team besides Souchiro, and his kids are much younger). And L didn't really make it any better by using his little tests.

3. During the Near arc: coming to terms with his growing suspicions about Light.

4. Souchiro's death, but then again that was a hard blow for everyone (and though Light was his selfish Kira self, I don't think we can say for certain that his tears were completely fake...)

5. This is the biggest reason, and also one of the main reasons I hate Near. After getting that far and that involved in the investigation, he gets told that the rest of the investigation holds no further significance other than to be watchdogs for Light until Near takes all the glory.
Now I realize some fans give the investigation team heat for not suspecting Light sooner, but we also have to remember that we're reading the story objectively. Of course we know what Light's been up to all this time, he's made fools of his family, the investigation team, to a certain degree L, Misa (but we can argue about that), Takada, Mikami (but he kinda made a fool of himself in the end), and half the world. The only thing that really saved Light up until the end was the fact that the Death Note is a supernatural item, something most people have a hard time wrapping their heads around anyway.
And I guess what bothered me about Near was that he was objective to the point of callousness, thinking of people as radicals in an equation, and the fact that the resolution came about mainly from luck. Ironically, while he believed to predict people's actions down to the letter, wasn't the reason that Mikami did what he did arise from the unpredictability of human emotion? Also, he himself admitted that his plan would've probably been a complete bust if Mello (always criticized for acting out of his feelings) hadn't burst in at the last minute and put Takada in the incident that eventually spelled Light's downfall.

Anyway, enough about that; I've talked too much. I feel sorry for Aizawa; end of story. <_<

Good points!! Haha, you really thought this out, didn't you? Now that I think about it, I agree with the last point especially. I mean, it was a blow to me when Near said that bit about them no longer being needed.
=P
~Saaema
deviantART || Cosplays
=D
**Need help making something? Check this guide for tutorials!**

Hubby: '07: Elite Beat Agent ||
'08: Makoto Shishio ||'09: Cobra Commander ||'10: Golbez ||'11: Cats ||'12: Makoto Shishio
Me: '07: Cloaked Zelda ||'08: Myself =P ||'09: Queen Rutela ||'10: Fi (Skyward Sword) ||'11: Tali'Zorah ||'12: ??

#36 User is offline   sentinel28a 

• Mad Irishman
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 1435

Posted 22 July 2008 - 10:37 PM

I'm not much of a Death Note fan, so ignore me if you wish...but I do not understand any love or pity for Light Yagami as a character. He's a megalomaniacal, psychotic, manipulating bastard. In that respect, he's not unlike Sesshoumaru, except that Fluffy had some redeeming value and better fashion sense.

One of the reasons why I'm not a DN fan is because Light isn't shot dead in the first three episodes. Granted, I think we're supposed to hate him (unlike Heero Yuy, who for some inexplicable reason we're supposed to like), but still...geez, I don't like reading about serial killers in real life, much less ones for entertainment.

Ben Da Mad Irishman
"Let the flames begin" :ph34r:
See my art. Love it. Hug it. http://sentinel28a.d...art.com/gallery
Read my fanfiction. NOW. You'll thank me later.
First Place, Yahoo ACen League, 2006
First Place, NFL.com Otaku Amefuto League, 2012

Those who stand for nothing will fall for anything.
BEAR CAV!

#37 User is offline   FlyingElf 

• Honorary Forum Therapist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 447

Posted 22 July 2008 - 11:09 PM

View Postsentinel28a, on Jul 23 2008, 12:37 AM, said:

I'm not much of a Death Note fan, so ignore me if you wish...but I do not understand any love or pity for Light Yagami as a character. He's a megalomaniacal, psychotic, manipulating bastard. In that respect, he's not unlike Sesshoumaru, except that Fluffy had some redeeming value and better fashion sense.

One of the reasons why I'm not a DN fan is because Light isn't shot dead in the first three episodes. Granted, I think we're supposed to hate him (unlike Heero Yuy, who for some inexplicable reason we're supposed to like), but still...geez, I don't like reading about serial killers in real life, much less ones for entertainment.

Ben Da Mad Irishman
"Let the flames begin" :ph34r:

We're not supposed to like Heero...Tomino just hates Gundam so he wants everyone else to hate it too...The only problem, no matter what he makes, the fans eat it up.

But yeah, on DN, Light is clearly an anti-hero...I thought it was one of the good things about DN that a lot of people feel differently towards him. But still it just went on too long...I mean by the end, he was so far off course, it just kinda left you not caring anymore...
Armageddicon!!
Columbus, OH December 21-23, 2012
http://animepunch.org/armageddicon/

#38 User is offline   KusanagiRobin 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 23 July 2008 - 01:56 AM

Thanks, simonsaz. I just think too much, is all. :P

And I kinda agree with sentinel. I never liked Light that much either; if you remember from the very first chapter/episode, Light didn't do it so much to create a perfect world (the end unto the means), but he was, as he told Ryuk, just simply bored. "Oh, I'm Japan's top student and I can't find anyone with my intellect to relate to and the world is scum. Oh, a Death Note. I can use this to act out my delusions of being a living god and maybe I'll get some mental stimulation along the way. Also, I'm going to be a complete player and risk my family's lives while I'm at it." <_< Obata and Ohba kinda made it too easy to hate him...I guess the only reason I (or any other fan) has even the slightest inkling of sympathy for Light is because we know he had the opportunity to just drop the Death Note and leave it where it was, and none of this would've happened.

And some people are fans and hate Light (like me). I like DN because it's just unlike other manga/anime I've seen. It offers us some mental stimulation as well without being TOO mundane.

Speaking of mental stimulation, did anybody notice this? Light seemed to grow into complacency the second L died. He actually missed him, not because out of any remorse, obviously, but because L was really his biggest opponent, and there wasn't much of a challenge without him around. I think that drove the point home that a part of Light regarded his plan as more of a game than anything. The whole reason this started was because a Shinigami wanted fun. Meanwhile, the readers are engrossed, trying to "put the pieces together", so to speak. Maybe that's why Near beat him; because he was also able to treat this as a game, and it was simply a matter of who was the better player. In the words of L, "He who moves first wins."

This post has been edited by KusanagiRobin: 24 July 2008 - 12:56 AM

#39 User is offline   sentinel28a 

• Mad Irishman
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 1435

Posted 23 July 2008 - 10:15 PM

View PostKusanagiRobin, on Jul 23 2008, 07:56 AM, said:

Speaking of mental stimulation, did anybody notice this? Light seemed to grow into the complacency the second L died. He actually missed him, not because out of any remorse, obviously, but because L was really his biggest opponent, and there wasn't much of a challenge without him around. I think that drove the point home that a part of Light regarded his plan as more of a game than anything. The whole reason this started was because a Shinigami wanted fun. Meanwhile, the readers are engrossed, trying to "put the pieces together", so to speak. Maybe that's why Near beat him; because he was also able to treat this as a game, and it was simply a matter of who was the better player. In the words of L, "He who moves first wins."

Now that is one of the things I do like about DN. Light and L very much have a Sherlock Holmes and Professor Moriarity thing going. Like Machiavelli said, you can be judged not so much by the company you keep rather than the enemies you make. Once L was gone, Light had no more reason to really exist--it wasn't fun anymore.

Ben Da Mad Irishman
"Maybe Jack the Ripper would be a better analogy"
See my art. Love it. Hug it. http://sentinel28a.d...art.com/gallery
Read my fanfiction. NOW. You'll thank me later.
First Place, Yahoo ACen League, 2006
First Place, NFL.com Otaku Amefuto League, 2012

Those who stand for nothing will fall for anything.
BEAR CAV!

#40 User is offline   KusanagiRobin 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 24 July 2008 - 12:59 AM

That's true; that's why it shocked me when they decided to off L right in the middle of the series. After that I just kept reading to see how Light's eventual downfall would play out. Needless to say, it still left me as every bit of confused as ever, no matter how many times I go back and reread it.

#41 User is offline   Yumei 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 17438

Posted 24 July 2008 - 10:38 AM

When Death Note first started I wasn't really into it. I think I started getting into it when they showed L more and more and then of course he dies. For me the show ended when L died cause it was kinda boring or predictable after that. I agree with what was said by Sentinel28a "Once L was gone, Light had no more reason to really exist--it wasn't fun anymore."
Also I don't think Near should get too much credit for catching or stopping Kira cause it seems everyone around him did most of the work and sacrific......he never really put himself in any danger. Light really kinda was the one who stopped himself. Overlook things and being careless. Too high on himself to be cautious. But the ending was kinda a surprise.....to me anyways so I enjoyed it.
I was disappointed with the way Light/Kira lost it when he found out he was caught. <_< :mad: I was almost embarrassed by it. I always like the bad guy and I really liked Light for some reason(can't really explain way) but he lost me when he broke like that. He should have been more dignified and taken it like a man and found some calm intelligent way to get away.
Acen10cosplays:(Trinity Blood)Esther Blanchett,(Bleach)Nel resleased form,(KH2)Card form Sora,(Code Geass)Li Xingke,(FMA)Edward decoy
Acen11 Cosplays:FMA:Brotherhood-LanFan,Gravitation-Shuichi,Fruits Basket-Shigure,Avatar-Toph All cosplays are complete!:)
Next con: ACEN

#42 User is offline   ninjaxllama 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 17215

Posted 26 July 2008 - 02:20 PM

L...

Waa I miss him
[color="#9932CC"]
ACen 2011 cosplay: Kakashi and Hiro from Gravitation
ACen 2012 cosplay: Hotohori from Fushigi Yugi, Kakashi, Tseng from ff7
ACen 2013 cosplay: Professor Chaos from South Park, Raven from Teen Titans, and Scott Pilgrim
ACen 2014 cosplay: Butters from South Park Stick of Truth, Him from Powerpuff Girls, and Scott Pilgrim
I am the Forum Llama...Beware my cute and fuzzy exterior

#43 User is offline   accelerated 

• Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 19010

Posted 26 July 2008 - 06:19 PM

so...am I the only one that felt bad when Watari died?

#44 User is offline   TheMagicWithin 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 5842

Posted 27 July 2008 - 07:53 PM

View Postaccelerated, on Jul 26 2008, 07:19 PM, said:

so...am I the only one that felt bad when Watari died?

I think a lot of people tend to overlook that because L dies within the same like...minute haha. But when you think about it, I do feel bad for him too. My friend was devestated that Watari died.
ACen 2014:
John Watson: Sherlock
Charlie: Supernatural

Tardis: Doctor Who

#45 User is offline   KusanagiRobin 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 28 July 2008 - 03:07 AM

Watari was awesome. :o My respect for him went through the roof when he went all expert sniper on us towards the end of the Yotsuba Arc (one of the few redeeming qualities about that part of the series; even the creators admitted that the Yotsuba guys were stock villains! :lol:)

#46 User is offline   Hell Testament 

• Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 19198

Posted 07 August 2008 - 12:42 AM

Man, I feel like I'm necromancing this topic seeing that nobody has replied in it for a little over a week...

Anyways, I felt the most sorry for Lawliet(L).
He was orphaned at a very young age, and grew up with no actual friends or family, save for Watari.
He'd watched over Light for months, trying to confirm whether or not Light was Kira. He chains himself to Light, and follows him everywhere. He develops a close friendship with Light, and even meets his idol, Misa. For the first time in his life, he claims that he actually feels like he has friends other than Watari, going as far as to say that Light is his best friend.

And a few months later, his best friend, Light, has Misas', L's idol, shinigami kill L. He falls out of his seat from the heart attack, and his "best friend" comes to his side, only to look L straight in the eyes with that evil look, letting L know that, seconds before his death, Light, his best friend, was also the person he had been trying to stop, the one he despised most.

I'm not going to lie, when I saw L's death for the first time(I had not read the manga, I went straight to a dubbed anime), a few tears escaped my eyes :(

#47 User is offline   KusanagiRobin 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 07 August 2008 - 11:08 AM

Yeah, the anime death of L was MUCH more dramatic than the manga (and I'm not saying that just because the anime's moving and in color). The anime also gave us a bit of insight into his past, which just made me even more empathetic for L. I kinda wonder about the beginning of Episode 25, when L actually went down to Watari's office...

#48 User is offline   Kawii_Kitsune 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Purge for Inactivity
  • Member No.: 17481

Posted 16 August 2008 - 02:33 PM

Well, I have to say that I feel bad for nearly everyone in the anime/manga...

1)Light...I agree with the others about Light having no meaning without L...There was no point in it. If he just wanted mental stimulation , he got that from L...They were equals on a mental level...and when L died, there was nothing left...He was basically just living til he died.

2)L...Well, I feel bad for obvious reasons...but its just sad that he was killed by his only friend. But after thinking about...and after whating the live action...I think L was just sorry for not being able to save Light. And then he died.

3)Mello and Matt...In the end, it was because of these two that Kira was caught, yet Near got all the glory. Mello, as it has been said, was just trying to prove something. And he proved it. But he died proving it...As for Matt...he was with Mello til the end, even dying so that Mello could get away...but Mello didn't.

4)Near...Yea, I kinda feel sad because in the end, he was all alone. No Kira. No L. No Mello. No Matt. Alone. Maybe its because I happen to be a yaoi fan and love to make combinations with these five, but it had to be hard to be alone. He grew up in Whammys with Mello and Matt to become the successer of L. But Kira, struck down L, Mello, and Matt...and ultimately, himself. Even though Near became the successer, it didn't have as much meaning because they were dead.

5)The team...especially Matsuda...They were all tricked and in the end, their leader was the one they were looking for. For Matsuda to be the one to shoot Light...I can't even explain it...It seemed to fit...
Yepp...Yaoi is definately one of the best things ever created...

My cruchy roll account

my myspace

#49 User is offline   YokaiShinigami  

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 19171

Posted 16 August 2008 - 07:27 PM

Light, L, and Misa.
Also Jelous or that Shinigami that Rem was talking about
My Deviant Art: http://yokaishinigam...deviantart.com/
Well since I'm part of the Spam Squad, *pulls out an imaginary aresonal of Spam Busting equipment that would look awesome if it were real*SPAM SQUAD HQ
3351 1113 6925 : my pearl friend code BYAKKO's the name
Youtube

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users