• You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Artist Alley 09 Questions: Merged

#1 User is offline   stuffedpandastudios 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 18942

Posted 18 June 2008 - 05:01 PM

I know it's insanely early (and sorry if I'm asking something that's already been posted about), but does anyone know how much it cost for a table last year? I'm thinking about coming up next year, but that would depend on how much the tables cost (and how fast they sell out, do they sell out in 2 minutes like boston?) Thanks in advance for the info!

#2 User is offline   Lezzy-cat 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 7032

Posted 18 June 2008 - 05:22 PM

If I'm remembering correctly, tables were $50 each, $25 for a half. They sold out pretty quick this year--not in 2 minutes, but I think it was a few days to a week or so.
Artist for Catstered Creations
http://www.catsteredcreations.com

#3 User is offline   stuffedpandastudios 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 18942

Posted 20 June 2008 - 10:07 AM

View PostLezzy-cat, on Jun 18 2008, 06:22 PM, said:

If I'm remembering correctly, tables were $50 each, $25 for a half. They sold out pretty quick this year--not in 2 minutes, but I think it was a few days to a week or so.

Alright, thank you for the info!

#4 User is offline   Millions_Knives 

• Masquerade Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 8636

Posted 01 July 2008 - 11:38 AM

hmm
well id rather not spam the forums with more threads
so ill just ask hear
well i was thinking of getting rid of some the props i have made (largely out of boredom)
im talking large weapons ranging form two to twelve feet in length (and meet con rules)
am i able to sell these props in artists ally
want to learn about cosplay materials? click here->my youtube cosplay tips and tricks<-click here

#5 User is offline   Krystal 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 14958

Posted 10 July 2008 - 09:58 PM

So here's my plan; I want to make a panel called "The Lighter Side of Evil", and it will be all hand-made, chibi plushies of anime villians. It'd have villians that normally haven't been made in plush form, like most of the Hellsing characters, evil Lucy from Elfin Lied, Yami Bakura, Cell(DBZ), and Naraku. I want to know if you guys think it would be a good idea. I have a picture of an Alucard plush I made, and if this Idea were to work, the plushes would be smaller, have more intricate faces, and would look a little crisper, because I'd use a sewing machine instead of completely handsewing like I did Alucard.

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk45/Fa...um/PIC_0218.jpg

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk45/Fa...um/PIC_0222.jpg

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk45/Fa...um/PIC_0223.jpg

I found a better looking material for boots, so I ripped his feet off. So in case you were eondering about that first pic, YES. They ARE missing.
Acen 2011: I lost my red kodak camera. If you found it, PLEASE contact me. I really miss it.

#6 User is offline   Unka Josh 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 13162

Posted 10 July 2008 - 11:50 PM

Well, if I have time to visit AA this year, I'd find them awfully tempting, depending on price.
There is a slight flaw in my character.

#7 User is offline   akaikurama 

• Panel Programming Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 10043

Posted 11 July 2008 - 08:19 AM

awww an Alcuard you can cuddle....
I'm going to move this thread to the Artist Alley section of the forurms, K.
Remember...
Pics
Short but sweet!!

#8 User is offline   Krystal 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 July 2008 - 08:24 AM

Well, I'd think each plush would be 30-35$...depending on how hard a time it gave me, the material I used, and the size of the plush.

I saw one who vendor sold quite small ones(though cute) for 50$ and nearly sold out.

This post has been edited by Krystal: 11 July 2008 - 08:32 AM

Acen 2011: I lost my red kodak camera. If you found it, PLEASE contact me. I really miss it.

#9 User is offline   Rini 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 17020

Posted 11 July 2008 - 08:36 AM

awwww.
I'd want a pierre plushie.
So i could snuggle and squeeze the ogre prince.
<(^_^)> Rewr :3

#10 User is offline   Krystal 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 14 July 2008 - 09:39 AM

That would be a good one...

#11 User is offline   thatreevesgirl 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 5892

Posted 22 July 2008 - 01:20 PM

I think it depends on whether you are local or not. If you aren't local, then you have to take the costs of hotel and travel into consideration.

If you are local in Chicago then I think you might do well enough. People love their plushies, and it is something that conventions are often lacking in in the artist's alley. If it is just you, then I would go for a half table. It would be cheap enough for you to make back your costs. I know that my studio spent almost $800 on going to ACEN, but we made it back fairly easily by Friday afternoon (but we had a good spot in 2008 and we consistently sell a lot at conventions).

With plushies though, you have to consider the amount of time you work on them. I do plushes too, so I know how much time you can spend sewing. Even if you make back your money, you have to consider the many, many hours you spent making it. You could walk away making only pennies per hour after the costs of selling in an artists alley.

First, I want to say that I find your Alucard very, very cute; but as an artist alley veteran I want to be completely honest with you. Machine sewing would be even harder with smaller and more intricate plushes, and there is some parts you should always do by hand. I would work on your hand stitching a lot, because it is fairly rough. I think you have a pretty good start on your pattern design, but I think you could tweak it a bit more. I think they might sell for $30-35, but if you work hard on your skills you could up your price. Your faces are cute, but the stitching is distracting. I know a lot of the plush makers use iron on transfers and computer colored eyes, but I think it would make your design so much better, because you are good with expressions. I know not everyone has the resources for that, but even if you don't I'm sure you have some friend with an computer illustration program and a printer. ^__^ You have a whole 9 months before the convention, so I'm sure you could accomplish all of this.

As every artist who is successful says, it is practice, practice, practice. Good luck.

#12 User is offline   OmNefarious_05 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 12081

Posted 02 August 2008 - 02:03 PM

I really dont like using other people's topics for my stuff, but I guess since it is a general question topic it should be fine.

Anywho, my sister wants to get a table in artist alley next year or the year after. I see in the above posts that it is $25 and $50 for a set table. Now is that for the whole weekend or just for like one day?

Also, if my sister does AA next year she will only be 15. Is there an age limit to a person selling stuff in AA or will I have to sacrifice part of my con time to help my sister out?

And I think this should be the last question, but if she gets a table when would she have to show up to find out where she is located, set things up, etc?
Acen 2010 cosplay lineup: Byakuya Kuchki- Bleach, Stein- Soul Eater, Luffy- One Piece, Staraptor Gijinka- Pokemon

Twilight fans are the Scourge and Stephanie Meyer is the Lich King

#13 User is offline   frzndaqiri 

• Webmistress
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Administrator
  • Member No.: 4043

Posted 04 August 2008 - 03:18 PM

I can answer some, and then the DH can step in for the rest.

Yes, the table fee is for the weekend, but does not include your badges (which gets you into the con). They do not offer single day table rates. To reiterate for anyone else reading: The tables are 8 ft, and include 2 folding chairs. It was 50 for a full table, or 25 for half (meaning split a table).

The age question I defer to the DH.

You may check in and claim your table Friday morning before AA opens to the public (and historically Thurs night as well). If you will be late, you can let the DH know and make arrangements.
2013 will be my 11th year at ACen! Staff for '09/'10/'11/'12/'13
Currently: Webmistress and Registration System Admin - my answers on them are as STAFF - PM if you need help

Come visit DisjointedImages in Artist's Alley for Cosplay photo buttons and custom made buttons
Get a button or upgrade it to a keychain/zipper pull/magnet/bottle opener/mirror for just a quarter more.
Visit the blog for latest news and contests! Disjointed Images Blog
100% guarantee on buttons. If it breaks, come see me for a FREE replacement.

#14 User is offline   Voltaire30 

• Exhibit Space DH
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Department Head
  • Member No.: 8053

Posted 04 August 2008 - 11:04 PM

View PostMillions_Knives, on Jul 1 2008, 12:38 PM, said:

hmm
well id rather not spam the forums with more threads
so ill just ask hear
well i was thinking of getting rid of some the props i have made (largely out of boredom)
im talking large weapons ranging form two to twelve feet in length (and meet con rules)
am i able to sell these props in artists ally

In the artist alley you would be able to sell "weapons"(swords) as long as they can be customized (ex. custom engravings that are done on site in view of customer, hand creating the sword......etc all must be safe! and an ID check is required). The Alley is not the place to "get rid of" unwanted items.

View PostOmNefarious_05, on Aug 2 2008, 03:03 PM, said:

I really dont like using other people's topics for my stuff, but I guess since it is a general question topic it should be fine.

Anywho, my sister wants to get a table in artist alley next year or the year after. I see in the above posts that it is $25 and $50 for a set table. Now is that for the whole weekend or just for like one day?

Also, if my sister does AA next year she will only be 15. Is there an age limit to a person selling stuff in AA or will I have to sacrifice part of my con time to help my sister out?

And I think this should be the last question, but if she gets a table when would she have to show up to find out where she is located, set things up, etc?

Their is no age limit that has been created, yet it would be advised that someone accompany her to help with staffing at the table and food/bathroom breaks.
Exhibit Space Department Manager 2009, 10, 11, 12, 13, & 14
Exhibit Space Assistant Manager 2007 & 08

If you have any Questions, Comments, and/or Concerns, Feel Free to Contact us by using one of the emails below.
ArtistAlley@ACen.org - ArtShow@ACen.org - ExhibitHall@ACen.org - ExhibitSpace@ACen.org

Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance & Promotes Premium Productivity
"The optimistic way to look at your own art, performance, or results when someone tells you that you're not good enough, is to think that there's still room to improve. When you believe your artwork, performance, or results are perfect, it's the end of your career."

#15 User is offline   Millions_Knives 

• Masquerade Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 8636

Posted 06 August 2008 - 10:25 AM

~tackles Valtaire30~
yay
ive made several prop weapons that i was hoping to sell (largely pvc no metal or working projectiles)
and they can be customized with ammo, decals, and additions
not so much paint
maybe engravings and small hand paint
how does that sound
want to learn about cosplay materials? click here->my youtube cosplay tips and tricks<-click here

#16 User is offline   BlackWaltzPinion 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 18824

Posted 06 August 2008 - 05:02 PM

That's awesome, and the price ain't that bad considering the amount of detail put into it. People will pay the price for good plushies, especially if there aren't any that are commercially produced. But consider other little crafts or cheaper plushies as a supplement, otherwise you'll find your disappointed when you only sell two or three over the course of a 9 hour day.

magefeathers of Cello Raptor Studios
Love thy plague.
2012 Cosplay = Flam
My DeviantArt

#17 User is offline   Rinkuchan 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 6347

Posted 07 August 2008 - 04:37 PM

Hello everyone! My friend and I are planning to sell our art and we are new at this artist alley procedures so sorry if our questions are too simple . We have multiple questions for Artist Alley for next year~ I know it's early, but we need to prepare and confirm if we can do this. Here ae a list of questions please:

1.) Is it possible if we can have two artist/people in the same table?

2.) Out of the three Acen days, can we both stay for only one day in the artist alley? (if we really stayed for one day, wouldnt someone else take our place?)*we plan to stay only for friday or saturday*

3.) For pre-registration delivery, are you sending out two badges one for artist alley badges and one for regular Acen badges? Or do we get our artist badge somewhere else?

4.) Can one Artist Badge count for two people? or do we need one individually?

5.) Will the artist alley time slots from this year be the same for next year?

I would appreciate it if our questions will be answered as soon as possible. Please and thank you~ :D
(I understand if some of my questions cant be answered because there might be changes in the near future...)

THANK YOU~ See everyone next year!! Buh bye~ @W@

#18 User is offline   Lezzy-cat 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 07 August 2008 - 04:46 PM

I'll answer what I can based on last year (last year was my first year ^^)

Each full table comes with four chairs.. Its up to you if you want to have multiple people selling or not (at my table last year, we had three people crammed into one table selling their stuff x.x).

The badge you get covers you for the whole weekend (well, providing you register for a full weekend badge, assuming you'll be still at con the rest of the weekend).. I'd think it would be up to you if you want to sell in the Alley only one day, it would just leave an empty table the other two.. I don't know if they'd offer it up for grabs once you're done with it, or if you want to just talk to your table neighbors and tell them they can take over your space the days you're not there.

For being in the Alley, you get a special badge (has the regular badge info, as well as your table name, and it looks different than regular badges). This you pick up -at con- in the Alley. Don't do badge mailing, as you won't get the badge you need. Also, each person needs their own badge (just like each person needs their own regular badge for con stuff, the AA badge is exactly the same, but enables you to sell in AA).

#19 User is offline   Voltaire30 

• Exhibit Space DH
  • PipPipPip

Posted 07 August 2008 - 06:02 PM

View PostRinkuchan, on Aug 7 2008, 05:37 PM, said:

Hello everyone! My friend and I are planning to sell our art and we are new at this artist alley procedures so sorry if our questions are too simple . We have multiple questions for Artist Alley for next year~ I know it's early, but we need to prepare and confirm if we can do this. Here ae a list of questions please:

1.) Is it possible if we can have two artist/people in the same table?

2.) Out of the three Acen days, can we both stay for only one day in the artist alley? (if we really stayed for one day, wouldnt someone else take our place?)*we plan to stay only for friday or saturday*

3.) For pre-registration delivery, are you sending out two badges one for artist alley badges and one for regular Acen badges? Or do we get our artist badge somewhere else?

4.) Can one Artist Badge count for two people? or do we need one individually?

5.) Will the artist alley time slots from this year be the same for next year?

I would appreciate it if our questions will be answered as soon as possible. Please and thank you~ :D
(I understand if some of my questions cant be answered because there might be changes in the near future...)

THANK YOU~ See everyone next year!! Buh bye~ @W@

1. A Max of 4 people with Alley Badges can be behind the table.
2. No sorry, if you purchase a table you must be present for the full ACen alley, unless you clear it with me to leave a little early.
3. The only badge you will recieve is an Alley badge, it is only avalable for at con pick up.
4. It is a one badge per person thing.
5. The time is not fixed as of yet, but it should be around that time frame.

View PostLezzy-cat, on Aug 7 2008, 05:46 PM, said:

Each full table comes with four chairs.. Its up to you if you want to have multiple people selling or not (at my table last year, we had three people crammed into one table selling their stuff x.x).

The badge you get covers you for the whole weekend (well, providing you register for a full weekend badge, assuming you'll be still at con the rest of the weekend).. I'd think it would be up to you if you want to sell in the Alley only one day, it would just leave an empty table the other two.. I don't know if they'd offer it up for grabs once you're done with it, or if you want to just talk to your table neighbors and tell them they can take over your space the days you're not there.

For being in the Alley, you get a special badge (has the regular badge info, as well as your table name, and it looks different than regular badges). This you pick up -at con- in the Alley. Don't do badge mailing, as you won't get the badge you need. Also, each person needs their own badge (just like each person needs their own regular badge for con stuff, the AA badge is exactly the same, but enables you to sell in AA).

Thankyou very much for your help :)

If you have any Questions, Comments, and/or Concerns, Feel Free to Contact us by using one of the emails below.
ArtistAlley@ACen.org - ArtShow@ACen.org - ExhibitHall@ACen.org - ExhibitSpace@ACen.org

Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance & Promotes Premium Productivity
"The optimistic way to look at your own art, performance, or results when someone tells you that you're not good enough, is to think that there's still room to improve. When you believe your artwork, performance, or results are perfect, it's the end of your career."

#20 User is offline   Rinkuchan 

• Pip

Posted 07 August 2008 - 07:21 PM

thanks for reply and info. helps alot. ^_^

#21 User is offline   Rinkuchan 

• Pip

Posted 07 August 2008 - 07:31 PM

View PostLezzy-cat, on Aug 7 2008, 10:46 PM, said:

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! ^_^ info helps! @W@

#22 User is offline   Rinkuchan 

• Pip

Posted 07 August 2008 - 07:59 PM

View PostVoltaire30, on Aug 8 2008, 12:02 AM, said:

1. A Max of 4 people with Alley Badges can be behind the table.
2. No sorry, if you purchase a table you must be present for the full ACen alley, unless you clear it with me to leave a little early.
3. The only badge you will recieve is an Alley badge, it is only avalable for at con pick up.
4. It is a one badge per person thing.
5. The time is not fixed as of yet, but it should be around that time frame.

Thankyou very much for your help :)

Hey, thanks for the reply. I'd also like to ask when would be the right time to reserve space for my friend and I? Is there a specific time we have to stay there in a day (even though we only want to sell for one day)? Would it cost less for a single day stay in at the alley or will we have to purchase a 3 day table spot regardless? also, how do we clear it in order to leave early? Sorry for the bother. thanks again and have a nice day! :)

#23 User is offline   Voltaire30 

• Exhibit Space DH
  • PipPipPip

Posted 07 August 2008 - 09:53 PM

View PostRinkuchan, on Aug 7 2008, 08:59 PM, said:

Hey, thanks for the reply. I'd also like to ask when would be the right time to reserve space for my friend and I? Is there a specific time we have to stay there in a day (even though we only want to sell for one day)? Would it cost less for a single day stay in at the alley or will we have to purchase a 3 day table spot regardless? also, how do we clear it in order to leave early? Sorry for the bother. thanks again and have a nice day! :)

I am sorry but the tables are only a full con purchase. To leave early you would need to notify me the DH.

#24 User is offline   Voltaire30 

• Exhibit Space DH
  • PipPipPip

Posted 07 August 2008 - 09:57 PM

View PostLezzy-cat, on Aug 7 2008, 05:46 PM, said:

Just to clarify there is only 2 chairs behind the table, unless extra chairs become available. Don't count on the extra chairs though.

#25 User is offline   Lezzy-cat 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 11 August 2008 - 05:17 AM

View PostVoltaire30, on Aug 7 2008, 11:57 PM, said:

Just to clarify there is only 2 chairs behind the table, unless extra chairs become available. Don't count on the extra chairs though.

Oh, sorry, I thought there were more than two ^^* Maybe I meant up to four people per table, I don't remember.. I remember we had a bunch of chairs somehow though o.o

#26 User is offline   screamforme 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 19321

Posted 29 August 2008 - 01:28 PM

what if two people want to share a table? my friend and i designed and wanna sell the same stuff at the same table. do we just register for half a table??

am confused :unsure:
Scream For Me
From Our Nightmare to Yours

Cosplay for 2010
Obscure Kyo and Gothic Lolita

#27 User is offline   Voltaire30 

• Exhibit Space DH
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 August 2008 - 10:16 PM

View Postscreamforme, on Aug 29 2008, 02:28 PM, said:

what if two people want to share a table? my friend and i designed and wanna sell the same stuff at the same table. do we just register for half a table??

am confused :unsure:

You and your friend can register for a full table, and you can be studio mates. Unless both of you want to purchase a half table and be at the same table(make sure you put it in the special requests).

#28 User is offline   screamforme 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 19321

Posted 03 September 2008 - 02:38 AM

when will we be able to register and reserve tables for AA?
Scream For Me
From Our Nightmare to Yours

Cosplay for 2010
Obscure Kyo and Gothic Lolita

#29 User is offline   Lezzy-cat 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 03 September 2008 - 05:08 AM

View Postscreamforme, on Sep 3 2008, 04:38 AM, said:

when will we be able to register and reserve tables for AA?

Keep your eyes to the forums. ;) Last time they opened it up in January I believe...

#30 User is offline   Worldlygate 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 5907

Posted 09 September 2008 - 06:35 PM

Why was the table price highered??? =[ It's like-60$ now. I'll have to buy a half table this year then...
Btw, when does alley registration open?
DeviantART

Cosplaying as...

Haruhi Suzumiya~

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users