• This topic is locked

Making Patterns By Scratch

#1 User is offline   stinababe 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 3355

Posted 11 June 2008 - 10:03 AM

Ive come to notice that my pile of patterns has grown way too big and costly lately and I was wondering if anyone knows of books or online tutorials on the basics of pattern making. Also, any classes in the chicagoland area that anyone has taken for patternmaking would be super helpful. Thank you so much.
_~*!Stina!*~_
~ACen 13~
-Fri- Amano Esper Terra (Final Fantasy VI)
-Sat- Elysium (Soul Calibur V)

Innocently Rebellious <3

#2 User is offline   this_chick25 

• Registration Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderator
  • Member No.: 7489

Posted 11 June 2008 - 10:38 AM

Quoted from another thread:

View Postthis_chick25, on May 28 2008, 07:41 AM, said:

Books for the beginner at sewing/patternmaking:
Simplicity's Simply the Best Sewing Book (don't worry--you can find it at Borders and some Wal-Marts :lol: )
How to Make Sewing Patterns (I ordered this online, because I got it cheaper, but you can find it at Borders as well)

Acen Attendee since 2001
Wondering how much to save for ACen? Click here!
FREE! Cosplay construction and materials advice--get yours now!
Never cause more mischief than that which is necessary for success.
Sig invade'd'd'd'd'd'd'd'd'd by Alk <3

#3 User is offline   spazchan 

• EMRT
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 18860

Posted 11 June 2008 - 11:11 AM

Not sure if you have any near you, but I do know Jo-Ann Fabrics do have courses every so often on sewing and what not. I don't think you have to pay for it either. I learnt my sewing from my mom. She should me how to sew when I was in middle school along with teaching me how to cook and bake from scratch. She had all of us (my siblings and I) learn how to be independent and be able to live on our own. At the beginning, I thought it was a pain, but now I enjoy doing this type of stuff. What I learnt to be very helpful with making my own patterns is a bust form (male style) that way I have reasonable idea what the form has to be.
Costume ProgressProject Riddler = 100%
Project Steam Punk Riddler = 0%

I B Back

#4 User is offline   Demon Slayer 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 5413

Posted 11 June 2008 - 02:15 PM

An easy way to make patterns is to copy parts of existing clothes. I get a sewing magazine called Threads and they're always talking about how you can make your own patterns by copying existing clothes... Just don't ask me how to do it, I just know it's possible. xD Also if you look at patterns you already have you can start to see how clothes start to come together and can make pieces to fit accordingly. =D
My name's Mary, and I am a student from Chicago studying in Canada.
Facebook Cosplay.Com
---------------------------------------------------
Anime Midwest 2012
Yzma (The Emperor's New Groove), Jane Porter (Disney's Tarzan), probably Belle

#5 User is offline   SFPrincess 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 3900

Posted 17 June 2008 - 09:53 AM

View PostDemon Slayer, on Jun 11 2008, 03:15 PM, said:

An easy way to make patterns is to copy parts of existing clothes. I get a sewing magazine called Threads and they're always talking about how you can make your own patterns by copying existing clothes... Just don't ask me how to do it, I just know it's possible. xD Also if you look at patterns you already have you can start to see how clothes start to come together and can make pieces to fit accordingly. =D

That's how I do it too. Don't get me wrong, patterns are probably great -- I've just never used 'em. :D
deviantART

7 Years of ACen...
ACen 2011 - Kairi, ACen 2010 - Misao & Aoshi, ACen 2009 - Xianghua & Kilik, ACen 2008 - Refia (Freelancer) & The Archangel Tyrael , ACen 2007 - Kagura Sohma & Finkle's Lava Dredger, ACen 2006 - Lady Magdaria & Prince of Persia, ACen 2005 - Beatrix & Edge

#6 User is offline   simonsaz3 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 8785

Posted 17 June 2008 - 02:16 PM

When I was sewing the yukata for my husband's Shishio cosplay, I found tutorials online that helped with measurements. DeviantART, random wiki pages, and the good ol' Google search feature can help with searches for online instructions and even patterns on how to sew stuff. It just needs a little bit of looking. And of course, there are ways of contacting cosplayers who've made their own outfits-- just ask them for a little help and I'm sure they'll be willing to share with you great advice.
=)
~Saaema
deviantART || Cosplays
=D
**Need help making something? Check this guide for tutorials!**

Hubby: '07: Elite Beat Agent ||
'08: Makoto Shishio ||'09: Cobra Commander ||'10: Golbez ||'11: Cats ||'12: Makoto Shishio
Me: '07: Cloaked Zelda ||'08: Myself =P ||'09: Queen Rutela ||'10: Fi (Skyward Sword) ||'11: Tali'Zorah ||'12: ??

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users