Anime Central Forums: A Week Has Passed, Time For A Response. - Anime Central Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

A Week Has Passed, Time For A Response.

#1 User is offline   Jazhed508 

• ACen Staff - Masquerade
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 109

Posted 02 June 2008 - 10:55 PM

Last year, I got onto these forums less than a week post ACen and got into a lot of trouble because of it. This year, I didn't want to make the same mistake.

I will try to cover what topics I can remember at this moment, but I will forget some. In this case, I will try to cover them as people bring them up.

1. New MCs. I was leery about the old MCs picking their replacements, but since they asked, I went on the risk. Personally, I am not the most pleased with their new MCs performance since they did not have the same chemistry as Isaac and Dave. I am left with two choices: A.) Have a sitdown, serious talk with both people to come up with a solution, or B.) Replace them with people of my own. At this moment, I can not give a solid, definite answer about this.

2. Awards. This topic has always been a sore spot for me. What number is the 'right' number of awards to have? If you have too many awards, the competition aspect is lost. If you have too few awards, the competition becomes too fierce, too heated, too ugly. Will there be changes to the awards list for next year, quite possibly after I have a chance to sitdown and do a full review.

3. Naming the Series. That was my screw up. With the flood of people requesting(read "demanding") their names not be read, I cut out a little too much information. This will be fixed for next year.

4. Saturday Noon Shutdown. For 2009, I will be holding to this with an iron fist. This year, I kept the office door open until 1 PM because two groups opted not to show up until 12:05 PM with only partial groups, having to try and rush to get their full groups in and skit reviewed. This is why I put on the forums and in the Rules to not wait until Saturday Noon to check in. The chief reason I will be the time nazi: a member of one late group cussed me out under his breath because "I" forced him to have to run from the Convention Center, how the noon shutdown was stupid, and that he didn't want to be there in the first place.

5. Room Layout. When the diagram of Main Progtramming Alphas was submitted in early April, Grand A(the masq Green Room of year's past) was completely walled off from the get go. When I got onsite and the hotel had already laid out the room, I saw the mistake and asked to see a diagram. It had completely changed from what I and Gendo had submitted. I was not happy and it was too late to make changes. So, the Green Room that we had this year was a kit bash between myself, Gendo, and our Hotel Contact.

6. Hanna. That is the name of the Green Room wrangler, the young woman with the big voice that did her best to get you all into order. I hope to work with her again in the future.

Now, for some definite changes for 2009:
1. All skit dialogue/music will have to be pre-recorded. There will be no speaking from the stage. Each year, the stage gets harder and harder to microphone. Jon and I will be reviewing economic/easy ways to record said skit dialogues and post the results in the Masquerade section.

2. Series. For the walk-ons, the 'Series' will be read.

That is about all I can think of at this moment. I will cover others as they are brought up.

Jazz

#2 User is offline   sailorgaia 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 3856

Posted 03 June 2008 - 08:48 AM

All skit dialogue/music will have to be pre-recorded.

I'm glad we were able to do our skit this year live as we will not have the opportunity again, or so it appears. I understand why you're doing this but I do feel like some of the audience interacton is lost when you can't perform live. But it may be a wise decision as the convention continues to expand and the acoustics for those on stage dwindles. After all, most theaters now'a'days rely on headmics.

As for the Emcees, I feel bad critiquing them because I find them such wonderful people personally. I do think picking Emcees who've had a little bit of public speaking experience might be a good idea though. As someone with a degree is Communication, I feel this point acutely. The mix between Isaac & Dave, as you mentioned, was really nice. They both were easy speakers and their reactions were always golden. My favorite type of Emcees are those who can take a backseat to the show itself (people who don't insist on performing their own show on the sidelines--you know the type) but know how to transition each skit well and control the audience. If you can find such a mix, that'd be awesome. I think maybe a girl & a guy would be a welcome change.

As for awards, I'm not sure if this is just me but there didn't seem to be enough skit awards. I can't recall how many awards were given so please don't jump me on this one if I'm wrong, I just recall what it *felt* like. ^^; I'll reserve my full comments on that.

Anyway, I loved the "green room" this year as it made us feel so much more a part of the show. The staff was great and the cosplayer wrangling went very well and quite smooth. Kudos to those staff members. I loved how we got to stretch out and sit in the Main Programming as we were sorted. That was so much better than years previous.

This year was definitely a step up from the year previous!! Looking forward to next year!
"I like it when you clap for me, Ultros. I can just close my eyes and imagine that four people are clapping for me at once!"
Locke, the Hand of God

#3 User is offline   Saeru 

• Masquerade
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 984

Posted 04 June 2008 - 10:41 PM

In regards to awards, I completely understand the conundrum. I'd vote for what we talked about in the Masq feedback panel: Keeping about 3-4 certificates of Merit that the judges can hand out if they feel there are an extra few costumes that deserve recognition. The cost for those will be very low so you wouldn't have to worry about trophies, but it would still give us the opportunity to work a little outside of the boundaries of 'Best in Class, Runner up.' Since they're optional certificates also, if there isn't anything extra that deserves the award it won't necessarily be given out, which preserves that competitive edge and maintains the actual meaning for each award.

I believe this would provide a nice cushion to alleviate those years like this one where there are so many outstanding entrants. ^.^
Friendly neighborhood Anti-Sora.

#4 User is offline   vinny 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 18907

Posted 16 June 2008 - 10:20 AM

View PostJazhed508, on Jun 2 2008, 11:55 PM, said:

Last year, I got onto these forums less than a week post ACen and got into a lot of trouble because of it. This year, I didn't want to make the same mistake.

I will try to cover what topics I can remember at this moment, but I will forget some. In this case, I will try to cover them as people bring them up.

1. New MCs. I was leery about the old MCs picking their replacements, but since they asked, I went on the risk. Personally, I am not the most pleased with their new MCs performance since they did not have the same chemistry as Isaac and Dave. I am left with two choices: A.) Have a sitdown, serious talk with both people to come up with a solution, or B.) Replace them with people of my own. At this moment, I can not give a solid, definite answer about this.

2. Awards. This topic has always been a sore spot for me. What number is the 'right' number of awards to have? If you have too many awards, the competition aspect is lost. If you have too few awards, the competition becomes too fierce, too heated, too ugly. Will there be changes to the awards list for next year, quite possibly after I have a chance to sitdown and do a full review.

3. Naming the Series. That was my screw up. With the flood of people requesting(read "demanding") their names not be read, I cut out a little too much information. This will be fixed for next year.

4. Saturday Noon Shutdown. For 2009, I will be holding to this with an iron fist. This year, I kept the office door open until 1 PM because two groups opted not to show up until 12:05 PM with only partial groups, having to try and rush to get their full groups in and skit reviewed. This is why I put on the forums and in the Rules to not wait until Saturday Noon to check in. The chief reason I will be the time nazi: a member of one late group cussed me out under his breath because "I" forced him to have to run from the Convention Center, how the noon shutdown was stupid, and that he didn't want to be there in the first place.

5. Room Layout. When the diagram of Main Progtramming Alphas was submitted in early April, Grand A(the masq Green Room of year's past) was completely walled off from the get go. When I got onsite and the hotel had already laid out the room, I saw the mistake and asked to see a diagram. It had completely changed from what I and Gendo had submitted. I was not happy and it was too late to make changes. So, the Green Room that we had this year was a kit bash between myself, Gendo, and our Hotel Contact.

6. Hanna. That is the name of the Green Room wrangler, the young woman with the big voice that did her best to get you all into order. I hope to work with her again in the future.

Now, for some definite changes for 2009:
1. All skit dialogue/music will have to be pre-recorded. There will be no speaking from the stage. Each year, the stage gets harder and harder to microphone. Jon and I will be reviewing economic/easy ways to record said skit dialogues and post the results in the Masquerade section.

2. Series. For the walk-ons, the 'Series' will be read.

That is about all I can think of at this moment. I will cover others as they are brought up.

Jazz

I realize why you don't want to have a mic'd stage, but i think that a live performance would be most entertaining - my school has had a play for many years, i worked on the crew for five years(all that i could) and we never had problems with mic's. i think that the problem is the wireless mic's - i realize these are handier, but wired mic's work much better( and can be hung from rail or something of the sort), we never have had a problem(unless batteries died). the main problem is all the wires, but that problem can easily be dealt with
Proud ANIHILATOR of SPAM

and also a Proud member of Excel's DARK ARMY

#5 User is offline   vinny 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 18907

Posted 16 June 2008 - 10:37 AM

woops, i accidently clicked twice...just ignore this

This post has been edited by vinny: 16 June 2008 - 10:39 AM

Proud ANIHILATOR of SPAM

and also a Proud member of Excel's DARK ARMY

#6 User is offline   Millions_Knives 

• Masquerade Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 8636

Posted 30 June 2008 - 11:13 AM

~thinks thinks thinks~
umm it would be nice if the on and off ramps were a bit wider
~rubs back of head~
it is somewhat difficult to get the
maybe ten
large cosplays on stage
good times to all
want to learn about cosplay materials? click here->my youtube cosplay tips and tricks<-click here

#7 User is offline   Jazhed508 

• ACen Staff - Masquerade
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 109

Posted 02 July 2008 - 03:00 AM

View PostMillions_Knives, on Jun 30 2008, 05:13 PM, said:

~thinks thinks thinks~
umm it would be nice if the on and off ramps were a bit wider
~rubs back of head~
it is somewhat difficult to get the
maybe ten
large cosplays on stage
good times to all

Unfortunately, we are stuck with what the hotel has on hand for a ramp. However, i had asked in my layout request that the ramp only have one set of handrails. That request did not seem to go through... along with a host of others I had made for this past year.

Jazz

#8 User is offline   Millions_Knives 

• Masquerade Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 8636

Posted 02 July 2008 - 10:22 AM

thank you
want to learn about cosplay materials? click here->my youtube cosplay tips and tricks<-click here

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users