Anime Central Forums: I Want To Start Making My Own Cosplays - Anime Central Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

I Want To Start Making My Own Cosplays And I really, really need some advice

#31 User is offline   CrimsonAnime 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 18090

Posted 02 June 2008 - 11:17 PM

View PostAVA, on Jun 2 2008, 11:49 PM, said:

Hmm. That's a deceptively simple costume... making it (and making it wearable) may be challenging! Be sure to plan out how you're going to make everything before you start cutting and sewing.

Before looking for a particular fabric for that costume, I'd take a close look at how you're going to build the support system. Are you going to have clear straps to hold the top up? Boning to support the bodice? What is going to hold the costume securely on your body? (It *must* be secure for con wear -- gravity and crowded con hallways will conspire to relocate your costume, and over the years I've actually seen a few cosplayers' tops slip down...) If you're going to have the fabric covering a stiffer understructure, you could use a lighter weight fabric. If you're relying on the fabric to hold its own shape, you may want to go with a heavier fabric and use interfacing or fabric stiffener to reinforce it in places.

Also, BEWARE of shiny fabrics. On most costumes, satins or glossy fabrics spell D-O-O-M to your overall appearance. Shiny fabrics make you look lumpy, show wrinkles, reflect flash in photographs, are more prone to running and snagging, and generally just make costumes look bad. When the time comes to choose your fabric, take a digital camera to the store with you and take flash photos of all the fabric you're considering. Choose one that doesn't reflect and stays color-true under flash.

Wow...I didn't think about alot of that stuff...
mostly the top slipping down part. I will look into that first. Clear straps huh?
And fabric wise I was thinking something stretchy enough to give it that pulled look but to not show off bulges. I know there is one like that but I'm not too good with fabric names... T_T
And to stop the top from falling weight wise..it might be smarter to have he shoulder 'armor' seperated...
A-Cen 2014 Cosplay (links are of me): Angewomon (Digimon) / Sailor Luna (Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon) / Hikaru (Angelic Layer) /
CURRENTLY SELLING ANIME/MANGA/WALLSCROLLS! PM FOR MORE INFORMATION!
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2013: Pocahontas //// Raven (Teen Titans TV Series)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2011:Edward Elric //// Anthy (Rose Bride) //// Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Diva(Final Battle)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2010:Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Saya (Vietnam/Crazy Form) //// Sailor Pluto //// Anthy (Rose Bride)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2009:Diva(Final Battle) //// Sailor Pluto //// Edward Elric
The Official "Forum Kitten", A Rini Fangirl, TekoMuto fan

#32 User is offline   this_chick25 

• Registration Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderator
  • Member No.: 7489

Posted 02 June 2008 - 11:39 PM

View PostAVA, on Jun 2 2008, 11:49 PM, said:

@ this_chick25 - BTW, I loved your Merle! You were the best catgirl I've ever seen. ^_^

:blush: Thank you! After seeing what Knives had planned, I had to do my best if I was going to be standing next to him.
Acen Attendee since 2001
Wondering how much to save for ACen? Click here!
FREE! Cosplay construction and materials advice--get yours now!
Never cause more mischief than that which is necessary for success.
Sig invade'd'd'd'd'd'd'd'd'd by Alk <3

#33 User is offline   Kankokujin 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 11262

Posted 03 June 2008 - 12:36 AM

View PostAVA, on Jun 1 2008, 11:53 PM, said:

I don't think you're going to find a complete costume that is identical to Raikov's. Rather, what you want to look for is pieces that look like, or could be modified into, *parts* of Raikov's costume:

- The jacket, for example, could easily be altered from a U.S. Army dress jacket. (I have one hanging in my closet right now; I got it at a garage sale for 50 cents.) Depending on your luck at thrift stores, it could even start as a blazer or sport coat from Goodwill, with an extra button and some minor changes to the front lapels.

- You can actually buy olive green jodhpurs commercially, but they (like all equestrian gear) can be kind of pricey. (I think they start around $50...?) Instead, you could make the jodhpurs yourself -- patterns aren't that hard to come by -- or you could try starting with a pair of very baggy pants, and just take them in drastically above the knees.

- The boots are standard equestrian dress boots, available at any tack store. New leather riding boots usually start around $130, so look for a consignment shop in your local phone book, or watch eBay for a while.

- The belt is a couple of bucks at your local thrift store. ^_^

Hopefully that gives you some ideas, or at least a place to start...!

Thank you. But do Army dress jackets come in small sizes? I'm pretty small and I want something that looks fitted(Is that the right word?). What if I got some baggy pants and tucked them into the boots and pulled them up? You think that would work?
えっ?これが読める?すごい!
그럼, 이걸 읽을수있나?

#34 User is offline   AVA 

• Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 7214

Posted 03 June 2008 - 03:23 AM

View PostKankokujin, on Jun 3 2008, 06:36 AM, said:

Thank you. But do Army dress jackets come in small sizes? I'm pretty small and I want something that looks fitted(Is that the right word?). What if I got some baggy pants and tucked them into the boots and pulled them up? You think that would work?

Well, I have an Army dress jacket that fits me pretty well. I'm not *really* small (5'4", 125 lbs.), but I believe they also come in smaller sizes than the one I have. (I'd check the label for a size, but I'm on a business trip right now and the jacket is currently 2,400 miles away.) If the jacket is just a little too big, you could take it in a little bit with the very simple method of moving the front buttons a couple of inches.

If you just blouse the pants over your boots, I'm not sure you'll end up with the clean-cut military look you're going for. However, if you start with a pair of baggy pants, it's really easy to take them in at the knees to get that jodhpurs shape. And I can even point you toward a reference for this one! :) In my FMA military tutorial, I have a diagram that shows how to curve the pants in at the ankles to give the legs that round, "fluffy" look. If you curve the pants in just above the knee instead of at the ankle, and continue that seam straight down the leg, you'll end up with a shape that is more-or-less like jodhpurs.

For a visual aid, scroll down to "PANTS" and click on FIG. A. The shape you're looking for is the bottom half of the dotted line on picture #3: http://www.andsewing...orial-fma.shtml

Let me know if that doesn't make sense; I can draw you a custom diagram. ^_^

#35 User is offline   simonsaz3 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 8785

Posted 17 June 2008 - 02:32 PM

^ Wow, AVA... there is so much I want to learn from you! *glomps* You're very knowledgeable about details, which is awesome.
=)
~Saaema
deviantART || Cosplays
=D
**Need help making something? Check this guide for tutorials!**

Hubby: '07: Elite Beat Agent ||
'08: Makoto Shishio ||'09: Cobra Commander ||'10: Golbez ||'11: Cats ||'12: Makoto Shishio
Me: '07: Cloaked Zelda ||'08: Myself =P ||'09: Queen Rutela ||'10: Fi (Skyward Sword) ||'11: Tali'Zorah ||'12: ??

#36 User is offline   CrimsonAnime 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 17 June 2008 - 04:28 PM

All hail AVA

and T_C

and Simsonsaz

^_^
A-Cen 2014 Cosplay (links are of me): Angewomon (Digimon) / Sailor Luna (Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon) / Hikaru (Angelic Layer) /
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2011:Edward Elric //// Anthy (Rose Bride) //// Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Diva(Final Battle)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2010:Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Saya (Vietnam/Crazy Form) //// Sailor Pluto //// Anthy (Rose Bride)

#37 User is offline   simonsaz3 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Post icon  Posted 19 June 2008 - 09:07 AM

View PostCrimsonAnime, on Jun 17 2008, 05:28 PM, said:

All hail AVA

and T_C

and Simsonsaz

^_^

*feels loved*
=)
~Saaema
deviantART || Cosplays
=D

'08: Makoto Shishio ||'09: Cobra Commander ||'10: Golbez ||'11: Cats ||'12: Makoto Shishio
Me: '07: Cloaked Zelda ||'08: Myself =P ||'09: Queen Rutela ||'10: Fi (Skyward Sword) ||'11: Tali'Zorah ||'12: ??

#38 User is offline   this_chick25 

• Registration Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderator
  • Member No.: 7489

Posted 19 June 2008 - 09:10 AM

Ditto! :blush: :heart:
Acen Attendee since 2001
Wondering how much to save for ACen? Click here!
FREE! Cosplay construction and materials advice--get yours now!
Never cause more mischief than that which is necessary for success.
Sig invade'd'd'd'd'd'd'd'd'd by Alk <3

#39 User is offline   simonsaz3 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 19 June 2008 - 09:13 AM

There are lots of sites out there like Cosplay Wiki that have so much info, but I know it can't beat what cosplayers know from experience of having worked with so many materials, fabrics, and more. Yay us!
=)
~Saaema
deviantART || Cosplays
=D

#40 User is offline   CrimsonAnime 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 19 June 2008 - 10:01 AM

View Postsimonsaz3, on Jun 19 2008, 10:07 AM, said:

*feels loved*
=)

View Postthis_chick25, on Jun 19 2008, 10:10 AM, said:

Ditto! :blush: :heart:

I have to love you guys. If it wasn't for you two I'd probably ruin everything OR spend too much money trying to buy things I think I need but don't

#41 User is offline   simonsaz3 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Post icon  Posted 19 June 2008 - 10:25 AM

View PostCrimsonAnime, on Jun 19 2008, 11:01 AM, said:

I have to love you guys. If it wasn't for you two I'd probably ruin everything OR spend too much money trying to buy things I think I need but don't

It's always good to seek advice for anything-- it's just like reading reviews before buying a product. Plus, I like telling people to save moneys, hehe.
;D
~Saaema
deviantART || Cosplays
=D

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users