Anime Central Forums: I Want To Start Making My Own Cosplays - Anime Central Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

I Want To Start Making My Own Cosplays And I really, really need some advice

#1 User is offline   Kankokujin 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 11262

Posted 27 May 2008 - 10:03 PM

For every Acen I've been to thus far, I've always cosplayed in some form but never really tried sewing or things like that. So far, I was lucky enough to find what I needed at military surplus stores or had someone make it for me. I've been feeling really depressed for not being able to make my own so I need helpful advice on where and how to start. Thanks.
えっ?これが読める?すごい!
그럼, 이걸 읽을수있나?

#2 User is offline   simonsaz3 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 8785

Post icon  Posted 27 May 2008 - 11:03 PM

View PostKankokujin, on May 27 2008, 11:03 PM, said:

For every Acen I've been to thus far, I've always cosplayed in some form but never really tried sewing or things like that. So far, I was lucky enough to find what I needed at military surplus stores or had someone make it for me. I've been feeling really depressed for not being able to make my own so I need helpful advice on where and how to start. Thanks.

1) If you've got an idea of what characters you want to cosplay, that's a great place to start.
2) The next thing to do would be to find reference pictures that give you an idea of the details of the character's outfit.
3) Know where your local fabric and crafts stores are-- a cosplayer always knows where to run for materials!
4) Break the cosplay outfit or props down piece by piece-- know the biology of your stuff!
5) Contemplate what type of materials you can use for making the outfit... vinyl or leather? Foam or paper mache?
6) Begin construction!
7) If you're stuck, ask for help! We're all here for assistance if you're stuck with anything.

I may have missed some things... feel free to add/ask. Hope that helps!
=)
~Saaema
deviantART || Cosplays
=D
**Need help making something? Check this guide for tutorials!**

Hubby: '07: Elite Beat Agent ||
'08: Makoto Shishio ||'09: Cobra Commander ||'10: Golbez ||'11: Cats ||'12: Makoto Shishio
Me: '07: Cloaked Zelda ||'08: Myself =P ||'09: Queen Rutela ||'10: Fi (Skyward Sword) ||'11: Tali'Zorah ||'12: ??

#3 User is offline   AVA 

• Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 7214

Posted 27 May 2008 - 11:35 PM

All of the above is excellent advice! :)

Also, think about what you already have to work with. Do you have any experience sewing, making props, or styling hair? (If not, don't worry -- neither did I, when I started cosplaying!) When choosing your first costume, you might think about what the most important, recognizable details are for each character you want to cosplay, and consider whether or not that costume is within your current skill set. For example:

- If you're cosplaying Sakura from Naruto, the most salient detail is a red tunic. Therefore, this costume will probably at least some sewing, since you can't really cosplay Sakura without a red outfit.
- If you're cosplaying Gaara from Naruto, the most important detail is to have some kind of sand/gourd thing on your back. Therefore, this costume will probably require at least a little bit of prop-making, since Gaara isn't really recognizable without a sand container.
- If you're cosplaying Cloud Strife from Final Fantasy VII, or Sora from Kingdom Hearts, it's important to have really spiky hair. Therefore, these costumes will probably require some wig or hair styling.

Now, if you want to cosplay a character whose costume is beyond your current costume-making knowledge, GO FOR IT! But be prepared to learn some new skills along the way, and don't be afraid to ask for help. ^_^

As an additional reference, the Cosplay.com forums are a great place to find tutorials and get help with your costumes. My Cosplay.com username is AVAAntares, and you're welcome to PM me with questions.

Good luck! :D

#4 User is offline   CrimsonAnime 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 18090

Posted 28 May 2008 - 05:31 AM

View PostAVA, on May 28 2008, 12:35 AM, said:

Also, think about what you already have to work with. Do you have any experience sewing, making props, or styling hair? (If not, don't worry -- neither did I, when I started cosplaying!) When choosing your first costume, you might think about what the most important, recognizable details are for each character you want to cosplay, and consider whether or not that costume is within your current skill set. For example:

- If you're cosplaying Sakura from Naruto, the most salient detail is a red tunic. Therefore, this costume will probably at least some sewing, since you can't really cosplay Sakura without a red outfit.
- If you're cosplaying Gaara from Naruto, the most important detail is to have some kind of sand/gourd thing on your back. Therefore, this costume will probably require at least a little bit of prop-making, since Gaara isn't really recognizable without a sand container.
- If you're cosplaying Cloud Strife from Final Fantasy VII, or Sora from Kingdom Hearts, it's important to have really spiky hair. Therefore, these costumes will probably require some wig or hair styling.

Now, if you want to cosplay a character whose costume is beyond your current costume-making knowledge, GO FOR IT! But be prepared to learn some new skills along the way, and don't be afraid to ask for help. ^_^

As an additional reference, the Cosplay.com forums are a great place to find tutorials and get help with your costumes. My Cosplay.com username is AVAAntares, and you're welcome to PM me with questions.

Just so you know...I'll be attacking you failry soon for prop advice. I went to your site and saw that YOU were in charge of the two panels that I missed at the con. No skills, no budget, no problem: wigs and props / a beginner's cosplay
A-Cen 2014 Cosplay (links are of me): Angewomon (Digimon) / Sailor Luna (Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon) / Hikaru (Angelic Layer) /
CURRENTLY SELLING ANIME/MANGA/WALLSCROLLS! PM FOR MORE INFORMATION!
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2013: Pocahontas //// Raven (Teen Titans TV Series)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2011:Edward Elric //// Anthy (Rose Bride) //// Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Diva(Final Battle)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2010:Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Saya (Vietnam/Crazy Form) //// Sailor Pluto //// Anthy (Rose Bride)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2009:Diva(Final Battle) //// Sailor Pluto //// Edward Elric
The Official "Forum Kitten", A Rini Fangirl, TekoMuto fan

#5 User is offline   this_chick25 

• Registration Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderator
  • Member No.: 7489

Posted 28 May 2008 - 06:41 AM

I think the key element to any and all of cosplay is "don't be afraid to ask for advice!"

As cosplayers, we have to be a community! We bring to life things that would normally defy conventions of physics and cheap construction. We are the masters of illusion! If you run into a wall or can't figure out what method/materials are best to make something, don't feel afraid or ashamed to ask.

Now for my recommendations:

Stores vital to cosplay :
JoAnn Fabrics
Hobby Lobby
Hancock Fabrics
Vogue Fabrics
(or basically any fabric and craft store)
Menards
Home Depot
Lowes
Wal-Mart
(if it has a craft section, and you can get some tools and materials cheaper)

Online resources:
Cosplay.com forums -- a priceless wellspring of vital information! People there are friendly and willing to help. Search first--it's likely that someone has already asked before you!
eBay -- a good source for wigs and items you can't find at brick-and-mortar stores
mjtrends.com -- a good selection of quality, hard-to-find fabrics that would be expensive otherwise
syfabrics.com -- same as mjtrends.com

Books for the beginner at sewing/patternmaking:
Simplicity's Simply the Best Sewing Book (don't worry--you can find it at Borders and some Wal-Marts :lol: )
How to Make Sewing Patterns (I ordered this online, because I got it cheaper, but you can find it at Borders as well)

Be prepared to learn skills you never thought you'd have a use for, or to use things in ways you never conceived. An open mind and a little abstract thought are some of the keys to cosplay!
Acen Attendee since 2001
Wondering how much to save for ACen? Click here!
FREE! Cosplay construction and materials advice--get yours now!
Never cause more mischief than that which is necessary for success.
Sig invade'd'd'd'd'd'd'd'd'd by Alk <3

#6 User is offline   CrimsonAnime 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 28 May 2008 - 06:54 AM

This thread is going to make me soooo happy! I wonder why I didn't start something like this. Everyone is giving advice that I desperately needed ^_^
A-Cen 2014 Cosplay (links are of me): Angewomon (Digimon) / Sailor Luna (Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon) / Hikaru (Angelic Layer) /
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2011:Edward Elric //// Anthy (Rose Bride) //// Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Diva(Final Battle)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2010:Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Saya (Vietnam/Crazy Form) //// Sailor Pluto //// Anthy (Rose Bride)

#7 User is offline   AVA 

• Pip

Posted 30 May 2008 - 12:42 AM

View PostCrimsonAnime, on May 28 2008, 11:31 AM, said:

Just so you know...I'll be attacking you failry soon for prop advice. I went to your site and saw that YOU were in charge of the two panels that I missed at the con. No skills, no budget, no problem: wigs and props / a beginner's cosplay

You're welcome to attack me all you like! ^_^ Just be aware that I don't check this forum really frequently, so if you want to PM me with a specific question, you'll have a better shot at getting a response on Cosplay.com.

Sorry you missed the panels, but... **shameless plug** If you're in the area, we're giving a series of hands-on costuming workshops at GenCon (more info at http://andsewingisha...om/gencon.shtml), and we also usually present the No Budget... panels at IkasuCon, YoumaCon and OhayoCon. Hopefully you can catch us at some future event. :)

#8 User is offline   Seph 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 11372

Posted 30 May 2008 - 08:10 AM

im going to need my own thread.. i building a mechwarrior for my first cosplay ever :(

#9 User is offline   Kyu 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 16676

Posted 30 May 2008 - 08:20 AM

I've started with drawing ideas of what I want my outfit to look like. Then I colored it in and experimented n stuff like that. Then I tried the stuff that i already have on and found out what I need to do next.
I am Kyu-Sama!

Looking forward to next year!

Future Cosplay:

2008-Bandana Kyu(not really cosplay)
2009-Kyu Hiyama (Destiny 7)
2010-Undecided

Myspace | GaiaOnline | Tokyopop |

If you love Naruto and love to rp, then this is the place to do it! It's a new Naruto rpg forum. Follow your own path and experience the future of Naruto! Naruto Infinite Adventure!

Looking for a dream? Or want one to come true? Visit Dream Dream Academy rpg forum to experience your dreams...A Dream Come True...

#10 User is offline   simonsaz3 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 30 May 2008 - 08:46 AM

I <3 this thread... ish SiMoN approved!!
=D
~Saaema
deviantART || Cosplays
=D

'08: Makoto Shishio ||'09: Cobra Commander ||'10: Golbez ||'11: Cats ||'12: Makoto Shishio
Me: '07: Cloaked Zelda ||'08: Myself =P ||'09: Queen Rutela ||'10: Fi (Skyward Sword) ||'11: Tali'Zorah ||'12: ??

#11 User is offline   Kankokujin 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 May 2008 - 11:23 AM

View PostAVA, on May 28 2008, 12:35 AM, said:

OMG! I was at your wig panel! I missed the first two because of the infamous line con. Hehe. You guys were very helpful so I'm glad I was able to find you here.

I appreciate that you guys are willing to help me here. For one thing, I was thinking of fixing my Edgeworth cosplay. It was commissioned for me but it just wasn't right. That would be a good start. Also, I feel a powerful urge to cosplay as Major Raikov from MGS3.
Here's a pic. http://www.megaemin.com/CMExclusive/mgs/Ka...AlbayRaikov.jpg
It's the guy in the middle.

One question I have for now is: Do all cosplayers make their own costumes? Is their something wrong with wearing a commissioned cosplay even if I give credit?

This post has been edited by Kankokujin: 30 May 2008 - 11:32 AM

えっ?これが読める?すごい!
그럼, 이걸 읽을수있나?

#12 User is offline   Aj-chan 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 6981

Posted 30 May 2008 - 11:29 AM

As was already mentioned: Cosplay.com. This is an absolutely wonderful website for beginners. There are so many tutorials and people who can recommend other helpful sites for supplies, patterns, etc.

And of course, don't be afraid to ask for help, most people who love cosplay are more than willing to offer suggestions.

#13 User is offline   AVA 

• Pip

Posted 30 May 2008 - 07:44 PM

View PostKankokujin, on May 30 2008, 05:23 PM, said:

One question I have for now is: Do all cosplayers make their own costumes? Is their something wrong with wearing a commissioned cosplay even if I give credit?

There is absolutely nothing wrong with wearing a commissioned or prefabricated costume for hall cosplay; for various reasons, a lot of cosplayers choose to do that rather than making their own. However, you cannot compete in Craftsmanship judging with any costume that you did not make, and many conventions do not permit any commercial costumes in the Masquerade. If your goal is to participate in the Masquerade, you'll need to make your own costumes. (Plus, it's fun and challenging to make your own costumes, and I usually have more fun wearing/showing off a costume I made myself, rather than something I bought... but of course that's a matter of preference!) ^_^

Since Raikov's costume is reality-based (unlike many anime costumes), it could probably be largely assembled from found objects. Unless you're planning on entering it in Craftsmanship, I don't think there's any reason to make the jacket and such from scratch; you can just modify an existing jacket, alter a hat, etc. (If you want to start exercising those costuming skills and make some things just for that costume, you might focus on the defining props, such as the gun.)

What needs modified on your other costume? (I assume it's Miles Edgeworth from Phoenix Wright? I don't know of any other Edgeworths...)

#14 User is offline   AVA 

• Pip

Posted 30 May 2008 - 07:46 PM

darn double post. :P

This post has been edited by AVA: 30 May 2008 - 07:47 PM

#15 User is offline   Kankokujin 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 31 May 2008 - 12:28 AM

View PostAVA, on May 30 2008, 08:44 PM, said:

There is absolutely nothing wrong with wearing a commissioned or prefabricated costume for hall cosplay; for various reasons, a lot of cosplayers choose to do that rather than making their own. However, you cannot compete in Craftsmanship judging with any costume that you did not make, and many conventions do not permit any commercial costumes in the Masquerade. If your goal is to participate in the Masquerade, you'll need to make your own costumes. (Plus, it's fun and challenging to make your own costumes, and I usually have more fun wearing/showing off a costume I made myself, rather than something I bought... but of course that's a matter of preference!) ^_^

Since Raikov's costume is reality-based (unlike many anime costumes), it could probably be largely assembled from found objects. Unless you're planning on entering it in Craftsmanship, I don't think there's any reason to make the jacket and such from scratch; you can just modify an existing jacket, alter a hat, etc. (If you want to start exercising those costuming skills and make some things just for that costume, you might focus on the defining props, such as the gun.)

What needs modified on your other costume? (I assume it's Miles Edgeworth from Phoenix Wright? I don't know of any other Edgeworths...)

Thank you. That was very helpful to know.

And yes, it was Miles Edgeworth. Here's a pic.
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o111/Ka...me/HPIM1048.jpg
The problem was that it was way too large; it was not symmetrical; and the collar was so far apart that I looked like I had no shoulders. It would've slipped off if I walked around in it.

And oh yea. I tried using spray dye for my hair to look like his. I know first hand what you meant about not doing that at your wig panel.

This post has been edited by Kankokujin: 31 May 2008 - 12:32 AM

えっ?これが読める?すごい!
그럼, 이걸 읽을수있나?

#16 User is offline   CrimsonAnime 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 31 May 2008 - 10:37 AM

I figure I'll ask here too.
I know how to stitch and will be learning how to handle a sewing machine from my loving mommy but I don't know how to take body measurments and translate them into a fabric pattern to then make a dress. And other than my mom the only other person I could have asked is gone (she went a little cuckoo and I never saw her again O.o) so I figure anyone that makes cosplays should be able to tell me.

Also - what fabric would you suggest for Dark Magician Girl's tight fitting bodice?

#17 User is offline   simonsaz3 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 31 May 2008 - 05:13 PM

I've been looking around a lot of sites and I found this that may be of help to anyone who wants tutorials and other links to "how-to" pages. http://www.cosplaywi...x.php/Main_Page
=)
~Saaema
deviantART || Cosplays
=D

#18 User is offline   princemercury1 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 9047

Posted 31 May 2008 - 08:28 PM

View Postthis_chick25, on May 28 2008, 12:41 PM, said:

I think the key element to any and all of cosplay is "don't be afraid to ask for advice!"

As cosplayers, we have to be a community! We bring to life things that would normally defy conventions of physics and cheap construction. We are the masters of illusion! If you run into a wall or can't figure out what method/materials are best to make something, don't feel afraid or ashamed to ask.

Now for my recommendations:

Stores vital to cosplay :
JoAnn Fabrics
Hobby Lobby
Hancock Fabrics
Vogue Fabrics
(or basically any fabric and craft store)
Menards
Home Depot
Lowes
Wal-Mart
(if it has a craft section, and you can get some tools and materials cheaper)

Online resources:
Cosplay.com forums -- a priceless wellspring of vital information! People there are friendly and willing to help. Search first--it's likely that someone has already asked before you!
eBay -- a good source for wigs and items you can't find at brick-and-mortar stores
mjtrends.com -- a good selection of quality, hard-to-find fabrics that would be expensive otherwise
syfabrics.com -- same as mjtrends.com

Books for the beginner at sewing/patternmaking:
Simplicity's Simply the Best Sewing Book (don't worry--you can find it at Borders and some Wal-Marts :lol: )
How to Make Sewing Patterns (I ordered this online, because I got it cheaper, but you can find it at Borders as well)

Be prepared to learn skills you never thought you'd have a use for, or to use things in ways you never conceived. An open mind and a little abstract thought are some of the keys to cosplay!

Nicely added on the How to Make Sewing Patterns book. I can save money by not always buying a stupid pattern. xD
What did you say?

*tableflip*

#19 User is offline   princemercury1 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 9047

Posted 31 May 2008 - 08:30 PM

View PostAVA, on May 30 2008, 06:42 AM, said:

You're welcome to attack me all you like! ^_^ Just be aware that I don't check this forum really frequently, so if you want to PM me with a specific question, you'll have a better shot at getting a response on Cosplay.com.

Sorry you missed the panels, but... **shameless plug** If you're in the area, we're giving a series of hands-on costuming workshops at GenCon (more info at http://andsewingisha...om/gencon.shtml), and we also usually present the No Budget... panels at IkasuCon, YoumaCon and OhayoCon. Hopefully you can catch us at some future event. :)

I was going to go this year to your panel but the IRT prevented me from staying in the hotel because of my prop. !_! I'll defintely be coming to your panel this Youmacon. ^^
What did you say?

*tableflip*

#20 User is offline   Kankokujin 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 31 May 2008 - 09:30 PM

That tutorial seems like a good way to start. Thanks. ;)
えっ?これが読める?すごい!
그럼, 이걸 읽을수있나?

#21 User is offline   CrimsonAnime 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 31 May 2008 - 09:52 PM

View Postsimonsaz3, on May 31 2008, 06:13 PM, said:

I've been looking around a lot of sites and I found this that may be of help to anyone who wants tutorials and other links to "how-to" pages. http://www.cosplaywi...x.php/Main_Page
=)

That site is SO helpful!
Simon-chan strikes again!
-glomps-

#22 User is offline   Kankokujin 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 31 May 2008 - 11:47 PM

Hehe. Now I really regret missing Simonsaz's panels.
えっ?これが読める?すごい!
그럼, 이걸 읽을수있나?

#23 User is offline   CrimsonAnime 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 31 May 2008 - 11:50 PM

View PostKankokujin, on Jun 1 2008, 12:47 AM, said:

I don't think she had any panels.
AVA did though. They are both being really helpful here. It's just the so far Simon-chan has given me like 5 or 6 different links with GREAT stuff and great advice each time ^_^

She should have her own panel though:

Internet Cosplaying: the best the www can offer.

This post has been edited by CrimsonAnime: 31 May 2008 - 11:51 PM

#24 User is offline   Kankokujin 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 01 June 2008 - 02:19 AM

I must've confused her with Ava. My mistake.

But man, I can't seem to find a uniform that is even close to Raikov's. The surplus stores don't seem to carry any soviet uniforms either. Does anyone have any ideas? Maybe if I knew what it was exactly called I'd get better results.

This post has been edited by Kankokujin: 01 June 2008 - 02:21 AM

えっ?これが読める?すごい!
그럼, 이걸 읽을수있나?

#25 User is offline   AVA 

• Pip

Posted 01 June 2008 - 10:28 PM

View PostCrimsonAnime, on May 31 2008, 04:37 PM, said:

I know how to stitch and will be learning how to handle a sewing machine from my loving mommy but I don't know how to take body measurments and translate them into a fabric pattern to then make a dress.

There are several possible methods of creating a pattern that fits your body:

- I refer you up to the aforementioned book(s) on how to make your own sewing patterns (I'm not familiar with the titles mentioned, but the reviews are favorable).
- You could use a commercial sewing pattern that is similar in design to the costume and modify it to match the character design. One of the most useful sites for this is http://www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr/making.../ShapeIndex.htm, which sorts patterns based on certain design elements, such as a particular type of seam or collar shape. (Be warned, however, that commercial pattern sizes LIE. They have no relation whatsoever to "normal" clothes sizes.)
- You can find an existing dress at a thrift store, make sure it fits your body the way you want, and then cut it apart to use as a pattern for your costume. Just be sure to add seam allowances to all the edges, since you'll need an extra 1/2" or so to sew the pieces together.
- You can look on Cosplay.com, CosplayWiki or other sites to see if someone has already made a tutorial for the character you're trying to cosplay. There are costume patterns posted online for many popular characters.
- You can measure your own body and draft the patterns from scratch. This is what I do, but I don't recommend it unless you have a really good concept of spatial 2D-to-3D relationships... or whatever that's called. I make little paper doll garments to design my 3-D costume patterns, as anyone who has attended my panels has seen. ^_^

Also - what fabric would you suggest for Dark Magician Girl's tight fitting bodice?

Do you have a reference picture? (When asking for suggestions, it's generally a good idea to post a reference image, since not everybody knows every character from every show.) ^_^

#26 User is offline   AVA 

• Pip

Posted 01 June 2008 - 10:53 PM

View PostKankokujin, on Jun 1 2008, 08:19 AM, said:

But man, I can't seem to find a uniform that is even close to Raikov's. The surplus stores don't seem to carry any soviet uniforms either. Does anyone have any ideas? Maybe if I knew what it was exactly called I'd get better results.

I don't think you're going to find a complete costume that is identical to Raikov's. Rather, what you want to look for is pieces that look like, or could be modified into, *parts* of Raikov's costume:

- The jacket, for example, could easily be altered from a U.S. Army dress jacket. (I have one hanging in my closet right now; I got it at a garage sale for 50 cents.) Depending on your luck at thrift stores, it could even start as a blazer or sport coat from Goodwill, with an extra button and some minor changes to the front lapels.

- You can actually buy olive green jodhpurs commercially, but they (like all equestrian gear) can be kind of pricey. (I think they start around $50...?) Instead, you could make the jodhpurs yourself -- patterns aren't that hard to come by -- or you could try starting with a pair of very baggy pants, and just take them in drastically above the knees.

- The boots are standard equestrian dress boots, available at any tack store. New leather riding boots usually start around $130, so look for a consignment shop in your local phone book, or watch eBay for a while.

- The belt is a couple of bucks at your local thrift store. ^_^

Hopefully that gives you some ideas, or at least a place to start...!

#27 User is offline   CrimsonAnime 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 June 2008 - 11:12 PM

View PostAVA, on Jun 1 2008, 11:28 PM, said:

Do you have a reference picture? (When asking for suggestions, it's generally a good idea to post a reference image, since not everybody knows every character from every show.) ^_^

Thank you for all the suggestions. ^_^ I'm thinking of getting a witch costume pattern and using that for the Diva cosplay.

As for Dark Magician Girl - there is a picture link in my signature. She's the one in blue and pink. The picture can be expanded if you click on it as well.

#28 User is offline   this_chick25 

• Registration Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderator
  • Member No.: 7489

Posted 02 June 2008 - 06:22 AM

I refer you up to the aforementioned book(s) on how to make your own sewing patterns (I'm not familiar with the titles mentioned, but the reviews are favorable).

The "How to make Sewing Patterns" book also gives good modding tips for making changes to commercial patterns as well. Simplicity's book gives some advice on it, but not as much.

- You could use a commercial sewing pattern that is similar in design to the costume and modify it to match the character design. One of the most useful sites for this is http://www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr/making.../ShapeIndex.htm, which sorts patterns based on certain design elements, such as a particular type of seam or collar shape. (Be warned, however, that commercial pattern sizes LIE. They have no relation whatsoever to "normal" clothes sizes.)

:lol: Not so much "lie" as "off the rack" clothes are better for one's self-esteem. The numbers for commercial pattern sizes tend to be around twice that of the same size of clothes you buy off the rack. Why else do you think there's size "0"?

As a rule, when sewing for yourself, you should

ALWAYS KNOW YOUR MEASUREMENTS!!

(^ see how important that is? :lol: )

Although you get the best results if you get a trusted friend or family member to measure you (because the twisting of the body that happens when you measure yourself will cause them to be inaccurate), it is possible to measure yourself, but it's cumbersome and time-consuming. Measure yourself in your underwear, NOT OVER YOUR CLOTHES, unless you're a habitual wearer of spandex.

Both books I mentioned have spaces to keep track of your measurements, and Simplicity's book translates your measurements to sewing pattern size (for their own line of patterns, of course :lol: ). How to Make Sewing Patterns tells you how to measure yourself for every measurement you'd ever need to take.

The most useful measurements to know for buying commercial patterns are chest, waist, and hip measurements (and inseam if you're making pants)--if you know those, you can easily pick almost any pattern available. If you want a custom-tailored fit required with some garments, you will need more detailed measurements for the applicable parts of your body.

But if you are the type of persom whose measurements fluctuate a lot and you're buying a commercial pattern, measure yourself every couple of months, and especially before you buy the pattern.

This post has been edited by this_chick25: 02 June 2008 - 06:24 AM

Acen Attendee since 2001
Wondering how much to save for ACen? Click here!
FREE! Cosplay construction and materials advice--get yours now!
Never cause more mischief than that which is necessary for success.
Sig invade'd'd'd'd'd'd'd'd'd by Alk <3

#29 User is offline   simonsaz3 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Post icon  Posted 02 June 2008 - 08:57 AM

View PostCrimsonAnime, on May 31 2008, 10:52 PM, said:

That site is SO helpful!
Simon-chan strikes again!
-glomps-

You're welcome, as always! I should collect all awesome tutorials, add them to one of my pages online, and then have a link to it in my signature for everyone out there attempting to make stuffs, but then again... that's what the wiki pages are for.
=D

View PostKankokujin, on Jun 1 2008, 12:47 AM, said:

Haha, I didn't have any panels... although that's not a bad idea at all! Maybe I should for next ACen for anyone and everyone who wants to learn a thing or two about cosplays... thanks for the idea!!
=)

View PostCrimsonAnime, on Jun 1 2008, 12:50 AM, said:

I don't think she had any panels.
AVA did though. They are both being really helpful here. It's just the so far Simon-chan has given me like 5 or 6 different links with GREAT stuff and great advice each time happy.gif

She should have her own panel though:

Internet Cosplaying: the best the www can offer.

Yes!!!!!!!! That's so awesome... I gotta learn what it takes to run a panel and all but I'm certain it will be so beneficial to everyone. Hehe, I bet I can collect what the world wide web has to offer for next year's ACen and make a little pamphlet for everyone to hang on to... or a mailing list for people to join!
=D

View PostKankokujin, on Jun 1 2008, 03:19 AM, said:

I must've confused her with Ava. My mistake.

No worries! ^.^ It happens... but you know, I really do appreciate the thought of having a panel that I can run...
;D
~Saaema
deviantART || Cosplays
=D

#30 User is offline   AVA 

• Pip

Posted 02 June 2008 - 10:49 PM

View PostCrimsonAnime, on Jun 2 2008, 05:12 AM, said:

As for Dark Magician Girl - there is a picture link in my signature. She's the one in blue and pink. The picture can be expanded if you click on it as well.

Hmm. That's a deceptively simple costume... making it (and making it wearable) may be challenging! Be sure to plan out how you're going to make everything before you start cutting and sewing.

Before looking for a particular fabric for that costume, I'd take a close look at how you're going to build the support system. Are you going to have clear straps to hold the top up? Boning to support the bodice? What is going to hold the costume securely on your body? (It *must* be secure for con wear -- gravity and crowded con hallways will conspire to relocate your costume, and over the years I've actually seen a few cosplayers' tops slip down...) If you're going to have the fabric covering a stiffer understructure, you could use a lighter weight fabric. If you're relying on the fabric to hold its own shape, you may want to go with a heavier fabric and use interfacing or fabric stiffener to reinforce it in places.

Also, BEWARE of shiny fabrics. On most costumes, satins or glossy fabrics spell D-O-O-M to your overall appearance. Shiny fabrics make you look lumpy, show wrinkles, reflect flash in photographs, are more prone to running and snagging, and generally just make costumes look bad. When the time comes to choose your fabric, take a digital camera to the store with you and take flash photos of all the fabric you're considering. Choose one that doesn't reflect and stays color-true under flash.

this_chick25 said:

Not so much "lie" as "off the rack" clothes are better for one's self-esteem. The numbers for commercial pattern sizes tend to be around twice that of the same size of clothes you buy off the rack. Why else do you think there's size "0"?

True. Actually, unlike commercial clothing sizes, for which there is no industry standard, sewing patterns are based on a functional measurement system... but since very few people really make their own clothes anymore, nobody goes by the "correct" sizing -- they just look at the size printed on the clothes tag, which is a completely arbitrary number (which is how I can wear a jeans size 2 or size 8, depending on the brand).

Someone from my grandmother's generation would have understood the sizing system just fine. We lazy GenX / GenY / GenZ -ers just don't know how to count in real sizes. ^_^

@ this_chick25 - BTW, I loved your Merle! You were the best catgirl I've ever seen. ^_^

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users