Anime Central Forums: Car Show - Anime Central Forums

• 8 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Car Show Should it stay or should it go now?

Poll: Car Show (256 member(s) have cast votes)

Is it important to you?

1. It's very important to me (34 votes [13.28%])

Percentage of vote: 13.28%

2. It's ok I guess (50 votes [19.53%])

Percentage of vote: 19.53%

3. It's unimportant (63 votes [24.61%])

Percentage of vote: 24.61%

4. It's a waste of space (109 votes [42.58%])

Percentage of vote: 42.58%

Should it stay or go?

1. Keep it (81 votes [31.64%])

Percentage of vote: 31.64%

2. Get rid of it (160 votes [62.50%])

Percentage of vote: 62.50%

3. I'm afraid of haveing opinions (15 votes [5.86%])

Percentage of vote: 5.86%

Wich neads expanded floorspace the most?

1. Registration (54 votes [21.09%])

Percentage of vote: 21.09%

2. Car Show (25 votes [9.77%])

Percentage of vote: 9.77%

3. Artist's Alley (113 votes [44.14%])

Percentage of vote: 44.14%

4. Dealer's Room (64 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

Vote

#61 User is offline   duochan 

• Pip
  • Group: Purge for Inactivity
  • Member No.: 18257

Posted 22 May 2008 - 01:51 PM

Personally, I would be very upset to see the car show removed. It's an original idea, something you never see at conventions these days. You can go to Ohayocon, Otakon, Anime Expo and tiny little Cleveland Colossal Con, and see all the same things, just in varying sizes. Go to ACen, get a car show!

If it was up to me, I'd re-arrange the expo center and enlarge the car show. Place an info card with each car, set up a "cruise" on Sunday's schedule, where attendees can watch/photograph the cars leaving the convention center and traveling down the street between the convention center and Hyatt, ask for more volunteer models to patrol the car show (Like the lovely Pamelaneko for awhile, this year.). Yes, I am honestly that interested in the car show. I could go from photographing cosplayers, to cars, to cosplayers on cars.

As for the music, call me a techno junkie, cause I loved it... Was subconsciously jamming to it all weekend. And Sunday, when my friend and I heard, "One more time... WE GONNA CELEBRATE!"... :heart: Love.

#62 User is offline   Smeet 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 17115

Posted 22 May 2008 - 01:53 PM

View Postduochan, on May 22 2008, 02:51 PM, said:

As for the music, call me a techno junkie, cause I loved it... Was subconsciously jamming to it all weekend. And Sunday, when my friend and I heard, "One more time... WE GONNA CELEBRATE!"... :heart: Love.

Gah, they played Daft Punk and I wasn't around to hear it? D: Well, most of the time all I heard was the bass thumping since I wasn't close enough to hear the rest anyway, so oh well. xD
Leader of the Raccoon City Zombie Squad.

#63 User is offline   duochan 

• Pip

Posted 22 May 2008 - 01:56 PM

View PostSmeet, on May 22 2008, 03:53 PM, said:

Gah, they played Daft Punk and I wasn't around to hear it? D: Well, most of the time all I heard was the bass thumping since I wasn't close enough to hear the rest anyway, so oh well. xD

Was the only time I heard them play Daft Punk, and it was beautiful. Friend and I have theme songs for every convention we attend. Next one's Youmacon, and we kept saying if our endeavors at ACen went well, Youma's theme would be One More Time... It came on Sunday afternoon and the deal was done. Fate I tell you, fate. XD

#64 User is offline   AkaneNoHime 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 8396

Posted 22 May 2008 - 05:43 PM

View Postduochan, on May 22 2008, 07:56 PM, said:

Was the only time I heard them play Daft Punk, and it was beautiful. Friend and I have theme songs for every convention we attend. Next one's Youmacon, and we kept saying if our endeavors at ACen went well, Youma's theme would be One More Time... It came on Sunday afternoon and the deal was done. Fate I tell you, fate. XD

Well, expanding on the techno idea, while it's true that we don't want the sound to get too overbearing (I had tables in Artist Alley that were right next to the dealer's room, and sometimes it got too loud even over there!:::untz:::untz:::untz:::), if you have cars that were in different anime series, why not download and make a mix of the techno remixes of the songs from the anime series that the cars come from? That's yet another way to tie in the relavent Japanese aspect - Japanese car, Japanese show, Japanese music...what more could you ask for? And I'm 100% in favor of the plaques in front of the cars detailing the series they're from, and a list of the mods they've got.
Please check out my Etsy and Artfire store! http://www.etsy.com/shop/designsbymiyu ~ and ~ http://www.artfire.c...o/designsbymiyu

"That book was awful! Halfway through the book the main character changed genders! And that was BEFORE I was into Anime so I wasn't used to it then!" -- Akane

#65 User is offline   Soulcrash 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 72

Posted 22 May 2008 - 07:28 PM

Allen will stab me in the eye for saying this...

Another random idea to make the car show more attractive for the lesser car jocks... Why not get those "myspace (rock) bands" and perform that area??? lol???
Ronald "SoulCrash" Ladao, age 25, I'm a photographer for hired......
The new home for my convention photos, videos, and side projects.....
**FaceBook**; **Twitter**; **DeviantART**

#66 User is offline   pmbassist 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 18070

Posted 22 May 2008 - 07:46 PM

I'm glad this turned from a general bash into an honest to goodness suggestion thread. I'm hearing some great ones! I can supply a projector + garage pics and interesting other Japanese - car info next time around.

I totally understand the average non-car dude wanting some tie-in information. It's like when you go to a museum. An interesting museum will supply info and media that everyone can relate to. As long as we're set up legally for power (no tripping on cords >:| ) i'll bring out some interesting materials next time.

I actually had a full lighting rig in my trunk the whole time for cosplayers to get some quality shots with the cars but the fire marshall dueched that out of existence. I think Allen solved the fire marshall issues for next year.

I wouldn't be against putting the cars closer together and i'd definitely like to see the Artist's alley expanded next year. I don't think that has anything to do with the car show as there's excessive space all over the convention center.

Btw: those taillights are stock on the third generation Miata :P :D.
May all your lulz be @ epic
Liker of Llamas
Player of Yellow Yoshi

#67 User is offline   ExentricSage 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 976

Posted 22 May 2008 - 11:21 PM

Oooh, another idea.. I heard about how there were random people breakdancing at one point... What if the carshow heald a breakdancing competition, or just a brakedancing show... Something that's actualy listed on the programming schedual?

As for the problem with the bass of the music being too loud... What if the show were rearanged so that the DJ and equipment have their backs to th wall, so that the full range of sound can be heard outside the carshow, thus making the music more of an aset. Also, maybe there could be more variety? I respect the musical tastes of those who like all varieties of techno, but I only like a little of it myself, and would rather not have to listen to just techno music the entire day, know what I mean? And maybe the music doesn't have to be so loud all the time... just during certain times... maybe makeing it more of a scheduled feature that people set aside time to go to instead of something that's constant.

Another thought... I noticed when my dad draged me to car shows that there were often model cars and artwork depicting the cars on desplay as well as the cars themselves. Creating desplays of anime art and toy models from the anime could help flesh out the desplays and better tell the story of the cars. Just the added visual interest would help, I think. Though desplay cases would be needed then. Heck, of the car show were alongside the dealer's room, maybe you guys could set things up so that dealers who sell models involving mecha and cars would be alongside the show. Then you'd enhance their sales, and their goods would atract interest to your show.

There's a lot of posabilities. At first I didn't think the car show was relivent, but if it can be made relivent, then that's even better.

Honestly, I think they do need to completel revamp the floor layout for the exhibition hall. It was realy random this year, with sectioned off areas that didn't look like they served any purpose, etc. It gave me the impression that each area was planned by seperate departments and then had to work around eachother or something. I wonder if that was the case? If that was the problem, then it should be easy to fix.

Mug Paris

#68 User is offline   Dogao 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 18531

Posted 23 May 2008 - 02:50 AM

View Postpmbassist, on May 22 2008, 08:46 PM, said:

I'm glad this turned from a general bash into an honest to goodness suggestion thread.

Btw: those taillights are stock on the third generation Miata :P :D.

Seconded. :D I'm actually more excited about the Car Show next year than any of the other evends. :heart: :heart: How cool is it to see the actual car from the actual series :D

Also, regarding the Miata: SWEARWORD OBSCENITY ANGRYFACE :angry: i r fail at car :( *sniffle*
Maybe the Miata's placard should say "THE TAILS CAME WITH THE CAR, STUPID" :blink:

#69 User is offline   tsukareta_lua 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 4432

Posted 23 May 2008 - 08:53 AM

I skipped a lot of the posts because they seemed to be just not arguments, but something like that... So if I repeat anything that was unnecessary, I'm sorry! And on the poll I put "I'm afraid of having opinions" or whatever because I don't think it's my place to say whether it should go or stay due to a reason bellow:

I am not a car person at all (all I can do is just drive v_v) but I was still interested in the cars at the car show and I wanted to know more about them!
I figured that these cars were cherished by the owners who spend time and money to take care of them. And even though I personally don't really care for spending that much time and money on aesthetic elements or cool things (again, not a car person) I still understand that it's a hobby and passion for others, so I'm cool with it.

But as interested as I was, I had no idea how they related to anime or the Japanese culture other than what... they're from Japanese car companies?

So yeah, I think that this event should be worked on and make it better! Placards would be awesome! It would be like a museum exhibit! ::geek::
Or a handout? Though that's probably tricky since people can drop out of the cars how at the last minute since this is entirely voluntary.
But really, anything would be helpful for an auto-illiterate such as myself ^_^

I think it should be given a chance since it is the car show's second year, and with how unlucky (yes, I'm calling it that) Acen is, it's not surprising that this show isn't all that impressive to some. I don't know the work that goes into, but I imagine it must not be easy to find anime related cars for this con.

As far as registration goes... I don't think that more room would really benefit it since it seems that the occuring problem is computer problems. But I'm not in registration, so I could be completly wrong too.

#70 User is offline   XCMNate 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 17840

Posted 23 May 2008 - 09:48 AM

The music was great! It helped keep me sane in line, but the cars? I don't care about cars at all, especially when that space could be used for hopfully a shorter line (add more computers and booths) or more stuff to buy!
Darker Than BlackTrigunRurouni KenshiOutlaw StarxxxHolic

#71 User is offline   SpicyNinjaCat 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 10841

Posted 23 May 2008 - 10:13 AM

That doesn't make sense, adding more space for registration isn't going to make things go faster if it's a computer malfunction or delays by staff. That area where the cars were wouldn't have impacted much significance in getting reg faster; probably slower if anything with the confusion in which line to be in.

I'd have to be on the car show's side and keep it. They put hard work into their cars just like the artist's in AA. I don't know about those empty tables for gaming though. I've been everywhere at the convention but those areas. Hopefully the cars get to keep their place in the programming schedule. Hey, why not do a panel with an open mic during specific times there while having bunny girls around the cars? I remember seeing that one girl in the bunny costume :D
I was in the parking lot from the false fire alarm in '12.
I overcame the ACen rapture in '11.
I survived the ACen fire in '10.
I dodged the H1N1 outbreak in '09.
I was denied ice cream at the ACen 10th Anniversary ice cream social in '07.

#72 User is offline   tsukareta_lua 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 23 May 2008 - 10:54 AM

View PostSpicyNinjaCat, on May 23 2008, 11:13 AM, said:

Hey, why not do a panel with an open mic during specific times there while having bunny girls around the cars? I remember seeing that one girl in the bunny costume :D

I think there were at least two 'car show girls' cuz I know one of them and she did the car show last year too. I'm not sure how long she stayed there though.

#73 User is offline   duochan 

• Pip

Posted 23 May 2008 - 04:19 PM

View Posttsukareta_lua, on May 23 2008, 12:54 PM, said:

I think there were at least two 'car show girls' cuz I know one of them and she did the car show last year too. I'm not sure how long she stayed there though.

*Excuse the off-topic banter*

I only know of Pam being there, for sure. She was there in at least two different costumes through the weekend, but I never saw a second model. I could be wrong... If I missed something, I'm mad now.

Moral of the story, more models! Please the photography gods.

#74 User is offline   KnitChick 

• ACen Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 9629

Posted 24 May 2008 - 12:53 AM

I kinda skipped by the car show a bit, it was a little harder to get in close for good pictures (last year I got a lot of nice shots, of course I'm drifting further from the car enthusiasm as I leave memories of my ex-bf behind, but still, I couldn't get in close for pics), plus I barely had any time to spend in the convention center this year.

I would love to see placards. I do kinda know my cars, but I don't know anime too well yet so I had no clue what the connection was on any of them.

The music, I could care less. I'm not a big techno or eletronica fan. Give me classic 60s/70s rock or Broadway showtunes and I'm happy.

And, the Skyline was there??? Which one was it? I tried to spot it but I didn't see anything that looked like a Nissan!
Special Needs and Compliance DH for Acen! Come see us in the Hyatt Grand Boardroom!!
Acen 2014: 50s Sailor Mercury, Agent Simmons from S.H.I.E.L.D., Kim Possible, Ghostbuster, frazzled DH
Youmacon 2014: (tentative) Captain Marvelous, Agent Simmons?, Ace from Doctor Who?
Chicago TARDIS 2014: (tentative) Fourth Doctor, Ace

Member of Team GEEK for the Norridge/Harwood Heights Relay for Life! Please join us or donate!
Ninja on the Glomp Team! Member of the Crossplay Alliance! / My blog / My pictures! (Flickr)
Resident Ghostbusters, Doctor Who, Firefly, Quantum Leap, Transformers, Harry Potter, Highlander, Girl Genius, Super Sentai and Nerima Daikon Brothers obsessor!

#75 User is offline   pmbassist 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 18070

Posted 24 May 2008 - 01:17 AM

View Posttsukareta_lua, on May 23 2008, 11:54 AM, said:

Not long enough for me to get pics :( ah well, next year B)

There were actually two skylines, a second generation which was purple and located closest to the registration area and a black 3rd generation located closest to the walkway. Part of what makes that car so cool (aside from the fact that they were never released in the USA and are ultra rare here) is from the outside they can be mistaken for any average two - door car.
May all your lulz be @ epic
Liker of Llamas
Player of Yellow Yoshi

#76 User is offline   frzndaqiri 

• Webmistress
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Administrator
  • Member No.: 4043

Posted 27 May 2008 - 04:15 PM

Hi. I'm in AA, and would LOVE for more room all around. I'm not sure what governs how the layout is determined to begin with, but I'd figure we could fill it out however we want in that space, and not sure why we aren't spread a bit further. Especially given, as someone said, there was so much extra sq ftg in the back of the dealers.

I am also a car enthusiast (own an RX-7 myself, and well before Initial D was around ;) ) and I think it can be better managed/set up. More information clearly visible. A big sign as you walk up explaining ANIME / Japanese themed / influenced etc car show. So random walkers by don't have to get close to figure it out. Placards, as was said, detailing what makes the car worthy of being there (meaning how does it tie in) and what work has been done.

Perhaps having them more as a row than in squares (think typical show cars in a field type show). To give a cohesive look and feel to them. I think the music was better this year, actually. I didn't have quite the same headache, but it may have been positioned differently.

So not necessarily gone, if it's being well received by those who are in the know, but definitely reworked, and more of the different department heads discussing the entire layout. (Not to sound as though none of you talk to each other.) ;)
2013 will be my 11th year at ACen! Staff for '09/'10/'11/'12/'13
Currently: Webmistress and Registration System Admin - my answers on them are as STAFF - PM if you need help

Come visit DisjointedImages in Artist's Alley for Cosplay photo buttons and custom made buttons
Get a button or upgrade it to a keychain/zipper pull/magnet/bottle opener/mirror for just a quarter more.
Visit the blog for latest news and contests! Disjointed Images Blog
100% guarantee on buttons. If it breaks, come see me for a FREE replacement.

#77 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 9075

Posted 27 May 2008 - 04:47 PM

Keeping the car show sounds dandy...but it would be nice if it could be held outside. Problem there, weather and available pavement to display them.

#78 User is offline   tsukareta_lua 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 28 May 2008 - 12:39 AM

View Postduochan, on May 23 2008, 05:19 PM, said:

I only know of Pam being there, for sure. She was there in at least two different costumes through the weekend, but I never saw a second model. I could be wrong... If I missed something, I'm mad now.

D: I'm not calling you mad, but i know for sure the other model was there because a friend and I stopped by and said hello when we spotted her (my friend knows her better than I do); I only saw her at the Car Show once but I wasn't looking, though I saw her again at the Hyatt later, Saturday night.

#79 User is offline   PepeluTivursky 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 8314

Posted 29 May 2008 - 10:51 AM

View PostSoulcrash, on May 22 2008, 01:24 AM, said:

If "we" were to get rid of our car show, what do we replace it with. Cause it'll suck to see a dead space being unused. If they want more dealer room space for the dealers, we don't mind, if the artist needs more space, we don't mind.. as long it's VERY high on demand we sure don't mind. On the plus side... if you "really want" to get rid of us that bad, and want to use that dead space, Why not make it into a damn cosplay photoshoot place.. (VERY SORRY on that Allen for saying that, I'm only saying that cause my unofficial record attempt video game group got kicked out of our spot(s) from IRT). Hell.. if you want to keep both parties happy!... it'll be freaking sweat as hell if I got cosplayer posing by my car... AS LONG they don't cause damage to it....

Make it into a lounge area, like someone else said. Bring in some more tables so those of us who wander over to the snack area don't have to sit on the floor. Or just make it a nice place where we can rest our feet without someone coming up and shooing us away.
"It could be worse. There could be zombies."
My Cosplay.com Profile | Kentucky Geeky LJ Community

Cosplay for '09
Katsura Kotonoha - School Days | Fumika - Shigofumi | Maya Fey - Phoenix Wright | Enma Ai - Jigoku Shoujo | Yako Katsuragi - Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro

#80 User is offline   DJFLuFFKiNS 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 745

Posted 29 May 2008 - 04:26 PM

I believe there are lots of things we could do with that space. I like the concept of the car show, but I feel like sitting around in that space for the entire weekend is somewhat wasteful. I would love to see us put out a real show for like 2-3 hours, leave the cars in that area for the rest of the day (like say Friday) and then re-purpose that area on Saturday and Sunday.

Yes that would mean we wouldn't exactly be able to use it for extra dealers space, or artists alley. But as variable event space it could be amazing :).
Sam Chen - Email me

ACen 2011 - Vice Chair
ACen 2008 - 2010 - Guest Relations - Assistant Section Chief (Industry Liaison in 2009, Programming Liaison in 2008)
ACen 2005 - 2007 - Panel Programming - Department Head (ADH in 2005)
ACen 2002 - 2005 - Live Programming - Staff

Follow me on Twitter: djfluffkins

#81 Guest_Sudou_*

• Group: Guests*
  • Member No.:

Posted 29 May 2008 - 05:55 PM

i dont no about everybody else but i like cars and wen i finally get my badge and i waited 8 hours to get it, its nice to c a beautiful gt-r34 waiting there. i do think it takes up a lot of space but wat else could u put there? basically the cars r there so the room doesnt look so empty.

#82 User is offline   PepeluTivursky 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 30 May 2008 - 09:24 AM

View PostSudou, on May 29 2008, 11:55 PM, said:

i dont no about everybody else but i like cars and wen i finally get my badge and i waited 8 hours to get it, its nice to c a beautiful gt-r34 waiting there. i do think it takes up a lot of space but wat else could u put there? basically the cars r there so the room doesnt look so empty.

As DJFLuFFKiNS said, you could put other events there.
I'm liking the idea of the car show lasting one day. That way you could turn the space into a lounge area, particularly for folks waiting for friend's to get out of line as we did for most of Friday, or use it for other events.

Cosplay for '09
Katsura Kotonoha - School Days | Fumika - Shigofumi | Maya Fey - Phoenix Wright | Enma Ai - Jigoku Shoujo | Yako Katsuragi - Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro

#83 User is offline   Dogao 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 18531

Posted 31 May 2008 - 12:42 PM

View PostPepeluTivursky, on May 30 2008, 10:24 AM, said:

As DJFLuFFKiNS said, you could put other events there.
I'm liking the idea of the car show lasting one day. That way you could turn the space into a lounge area, particularly for folks waiting for friend's to get out of line as we did for most of Friday, or use it for other events.

Wow, can someone show me the list of events waiting for space, which is apparently so long we need to cancel existing events? Apparently I'm the only one who noticed the 75-foot-walk between the hotel lobby and any actual events, but we're not exactly hurting on space here. It's not like the cars were parked IN artist alley booths, or up against the restroom doors or anything.

What is it about the presence of Scions and Hondas that made it impossible for you to wait / lounge in that area just exactly the way it was? Because I hung out there for almost two hours on Friday AND Saturday, since it already WAS the only place in the con you could just relax without either IRT or hotel employees chasing you off. That was where my friends and I met every morning because it's a better landmark than "the booth with the stickers."

I think a one-day car show is a bad idea because a) there's no gain, and b ) now you're moving 30 vehicles out of a building full of people, as other major events are setting up and breaking down. I saw the breakdown at the end of the con, and even before the union guys descended to pull the stanchions and carpets it was kind of bedlam-y. If it's that bad after everyone has gone home, how do you think it will be, say, Saturday night?

None of these reasons for cancelling the show are compelling. There have been excellent ideas for improvement, but as far as I'm concerned cancellation is not even an option.

#84 User is offline   PepeluTivursky 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 31 May 2008 - 05:19 PM

View PostDogao, on May 31 2008, 06:42 PM, said:

Wow, can someone show me the list of events waiting for space, which is apparently so long we need to cancel existing events? Apparently I'm the only one who noticed the 75-foot-walk between the hotel lobby and any actual events, but we're not exactly hurting on space here. It's not like the cars were parked IN artist alley booths, or up against the restroom doors or anything.

There has to be space due to fire regulations I imagine, correct me if I'm wrong however.

View PostDogao, on May 31 2008, 06:42 PM, said:

What is it about the presence of Scions and Hondas that made it impossible for you to wait / lounge in that area just exactly the way it was? Because I hung out there for almost two hours on Friday AND Saturday, since it already WAS the only place in the con you could just relax without either IRT or hotel employees chasing you off. That was where my friends and I met every morning because it's a better landmark than "the booth with the stickers."

It's not exactly a lounging spot. When I think lounging, I think tables/some chairs. Sure, I can go sit on the floor near one of the walls but that wasn't exactly what I was meaning.
No need to get up in arms over this though :) These are all just suggestions from me IF they did decide to get rid of the car show/reduce it to one day. Frankly, I don't really care what they do with it.

This post has been edited by PepeluTivursky: 31 May 2008 - 05:20 PM

Cosplay for '09

#85 User is offline   LightBringer 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 18842

Posted 31 May 2008 - 11:02 PM

Personally, I don't get cars. Other people do. It's all good.
I like the idea of presenting many aspects of Japanese culture. Whether it's fashion, anime or cars.
I think having placards next to the cars describing the modifications, what show it was in, etc. would help someone like me get into the car culture. Honestly, I like the fact that the Con isn't modeled after my tastes. Usually, I find something interesting that I wouldn't normally be into.
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov
US (Russian-born) author & translator (1899 - 1977)

#86 User is offline   DJFLuFFKiNS 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 745

Posted 01 June 2008 - 08:16 AM

View PostDogao, on May 31 2008, 02:42 PM, said:

Some of the other posters did touch on this. The hotel isn't a freeform space we can use for programming. The stage that the Spoony Bards was on was an improvement because they weren't allowed to use it last year. Yes a lot of it is fire code.

As to your other concern of list of events. We are all about creating new events that push the boundaries and are fun things for everyone to see. Our limits on space in panel rooms and even generic setups makes that hard. So for example... I would love to see our charity auction make a reprisal and have an open stage area for the auction on Sunday. We'd get a lot of crossover traffic from the exhibit hall and the alley as well.

Other events such as Cosplay chess (I'm not a huge fan of it personally but many other are) which happens to require a lot of space. We could use the area to do any number of various demonstrations. In the theme of cutural function space we can do a maid or bulter cafe, in fact we've looked into this for a number of years now with some friends of one of our Department Heads who happens to run a cafe in Japan to come over and recreate the experience here (I will admit space wasn't the biggest issue in not having it happen, but it can be used for a great space like that). There's also been talk about being able to do room displays where we recreate a scene or a room or a tea party or anything like that where we'd need a location to set up a semi-permanent structure.

And I'm sure if I opened it up to other people and other areas we could come up with a plethora of ideas to fill that space. Space at ACen has always been a premium. And again, I'm personally not opposed to the car show. I like cars, I wish I had the time to get more into cars, I wish I could mod my car the way that some of those cars are done at the show. My issue as someone who does help organize our events, is the broader base appeal. When someone creates a thread saying they want to see something else, I have to look at the merits of the argument but more importantly the consensus of the attendees. We always say we're here for you, and if an overwhelming majority say nix it... I'd have to take a hard look and decide whether we should try to do something else. This is true of any of our events, I don't want to make it sound like this would only happen to the car show.
Sam Chen - Email me

ACen 2011 - Vice Chair
ACen 2008 - 2010 - Guest Relations - Assistant Section Chief (Industry Liaison in 2009, Programming Liaison in 2008)
ACen 2005 - 2007 - Panel Programming - Department Head (ADH in 2005)
ACen 2002 - 2005 - Live Programming - Staff

Follow me on Twitter: djfluffkins

#87 User is offline   frzndaqiri 

• Webmistress
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Administrator
  • Member No.: 4043

Posted 01 June 2008 - 10:26 AM

I was talking to someone about this, and they had a suggestion of having the Drift Panel (I presume it's still going on every year) held AT the car show. What better way to incorporate it further with the con.

See if anyone has a drift setup and would like to bring their car in and talk about the mods made and how it differs from other racing.

Have the owners of the cars come in at a specified time and talk about the car personally.
2013 will be my 11th year at ACen! Staff for '09/'10/'11/'12/'13
Currently: Webmistress and Registration System Admin - my answers on them are as STAFF - PM if you need help

Come visit DisjointedImages in Artist's Alley for Cosplay photo buttons and custom made buttons
Get a button or upgrade it to a keychain/zipper pull/magnet/bottle opener/mirror for just a quarter more.
Visit the blog for latest news and contests! Disjointed Images Blog
100% guarantee on buttons. If it breaks, come see me for a FREE replacement.

#88 User is offline   Ritched 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 5017

Posted 15 June 2008 - 11:42 AM

View Postsaiyajinimport, on May 21 2008, 05:30 AM, said:

ok first things first there were absolutely no stock cars in that show. you call yourself "a big fan of cars JDM in particular" if you would've really looked then you would have noticed that every single one of those cars were modified. Don't hate on other peoples stuff seriously cuz your only gonna get owned like right about now.

2nd you say that car was and R32 GTS-T SORRY YOUR WRONG. That Purple car was 1997 SKYLINE R33 GTR VSpec 2 seriously if you knew anything about cars you would know that R32's had sqaure head lights and R33's had rounded out headlights also the R32 had more of a square body as well and the R33 was more rounded. So don't go around calling other people Fanbois when you don't even know what the hell it is your talking about.

now on to the 240's for you to say they were average as far as chicago 240's go you must be crazy those 2 are one of the cleanest 240's in the city, but then again this is coming from the guy who said an R33 was an R32 so i can't take to much stock in what you really have to say about much of anything and by the way the 240 hatch was done up exactly like the BLUE SIL-80 in INITIAL D.

This is probably my favorite post on this topic. Allen, you totally rock!

#89 User is offline   DJ F00P 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 15390

Posted 15 June 2008 - 05:18 PM

I am mutual about this. i really dont care

#90 User is offline   Jadante 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 12483

Posted 24 July 2008 - 03:34 PM

Personally, I think the Artist's Alley could use the room. It can get a wee bit cramped back there.
ACen 2013 - Pharaoh Atem
ACen 2011, 2012 - Summoner Yuna, Sailor Yuna
ACen 2009, 2010 - Summoner Yuna
ACen 2008 - Summoner Yuna, Eternal Sailor Jupiter, Kino Makoto (Schoolgirl)
ACen 2007 - Original character (Enika)
ACen 2006 - Eternal Sailor Jupiter
ACen 2005 - Original character (Jakoku)

• 8 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users