Anime Central Forums: Handicapped & Special Needs Feedback - Anime Central Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Handicapped & Special Needs Feedback Here's your chance to let us know

#1 User is offline   Smokey 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 6522

Post icon  Posted 19 May 2008 - 10:48 PM

So How did we do? We were running with new ideas this year, did they work? What can we do to improve things?
The Special Needs & ADA Compliance Department is dedicated to making sure that nobody has to miss anything that ACen has to offer because of a physical challenge or medical condition.

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Compliments? Complaints?

Visit us at http://acen.org/cont...-ada-compliance or send an email to adacompliance-dh@acen.org

Number of ACens attended: 15, Number of years on staff: 6, 2010 Staff MVP Award

#2 User is offline   Caerulea Windseeker 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Purge for Inactivity
  • Member No.: 18564

Posted 20 May 2008 - 12:09 AM

View PostDave, on May 19 2008, 10:48 PM, said:

So How did we do? We were running with new ideas this year, did they work? What can we do to improve things?

Not all disabilities or special needs are visible. There are some folks who have medical conditions that necessitate hydration and bathroom breaks. So, along the lines of my other thread about this issue, ACen needs to have a realistic policy that allows people to hop out of lines to use the facilities or grab a cup of water and then rejoin their friends. It will prevent a lot of problems both for con-goers and the I.R.T., plus ward off any public health catastrophes that would mean the con ceases to operate.

Lines are a fact of life at a convention, and the length of lines at ACen only seems to increase every year. It is time for ACen to have sensible plans for how to handle them better, both for guests with special needs and those who don't have those extra things to worry about.

#3 User is offline   rei_0 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 4098

Posted 20 May 2008 - 11:29 AM

I don't think there was quite enough space in between the artist alley tables for a wheelchair to get through. Heck, there wasn't even enough room for me to get through if anybody was looking at any of the tables in the back row. (The rest might have all been ok?)
2013 Cosplay - Fluttershy
Red Mage (maybe)

Artist Alley Table 165! Forest for the Trees
Come say hi!

#4 User is offline   alunde 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 4739

Posted 20 May 2008 - 06:13 PM

Having a ground-level entrance via the expoteria was helpful. I'm not what most people would call disabled, but I use a wheeled back-pack because of a bad back, so having a direct alternative to the long winding road over the rooftops was a relief.

#5 User is offline   Dogao 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 18531

Posted 20 May 2008 - 06:22 PM

View Postrei_0, on May 20 2008, 12:29 PM, said:

I don't think there was quite enough space in between the artist alley tables for a wheelchair to get through. Heck, there wasn't even enough room for me to get through if anybody was looking at any of the tables in the back row. (The rest might have all been ok?)

Seconded. I chilled in my friend's AA booth for a couple hours Saturday and I saw TWO people in wheelchairs patiently struggling to get through. :( It's like people just didn't see them. I don't know what was wrong with them.

Both graciously passed on my offer to get up and "clear a path" for them. ;) Hey, my little sis used to be in a wheelchair, it's a sensitive subject for me.

Not sure how to handle this :( Sorry for the lack of suggestions!!!

#6 User is offline   Smokey 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 May 2008 - 07:24 PM

View PostCaerulea Windseeker, on May 20 2008, 01:09 AM, said:

Not all disabilities or special needs are visible. There are some folks who have medical conditions that necessitate hydration and bathroom breaks. So, along the lines of my other thread about this issue, ACen needs to have a realistic policy that allows people to hop out of lines to use the facilities or grab a cup of water and then rejoin their friends. It will prevent a lot of problems both for con-goers and the I.R.T., plus ward off any public health catastrophes that would mean the con ceases to operate.

Lines are a fact of life at a convention, and the length of lines at ACen only seems to increase every year. It is time for ACen to have sensible plans for how to handle them better, both for guests with special needs and those who don't have those extra things to worry about.

Everyone with special needs that we were aware of were given every advantage needed for their benefit, including a special pass for those whose needs were not visible. Offers of assistance were announced on the forum and mentioned in the guide book. In addition, a provision was made on the web site for those with special needs to contact us in advance so the we could have those needs met upon arrival, as well as a handout prepared summarizing the steps that we'd taken to ensure ease of access.

But we're not mind readers. We aren't going to know if you have special needs unless you tell us. IRT was stationed there as well as paramedics. In addition, I was patrolling the line myself on a regular basis. All someone who was having any physical difficulties needed to do was let any of us know and their needs would have been met. We don't want anyone to get sick any more than you do. If anyone with such needs were denied access to nourishment or bathroom after being informed of impending illness, let me know who that person was (their names were in bright orange lettering right on their chest) and I'll take your complaint to the head if IRT myself.
The Special Needs & ADA Compliance Department is dedicated to making sure that nobody has to miss anything that ACen has to offer because of a physical challenge or medical condition.

Visit us at http://acen.org/cont...-ada-compliance or send an email to adacompliance-dh@acen.org

#7 User is offline   Smokey 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 May 2008 - 07:41 PM

I inspected AA for accessibility before the con began, and while the width of the aisles were borderline, they still conformed to the requirements of the equal access laws. In addition, I went through there on a regular basis to make sure that those who had chairs on the customer side of the tables kept them turned inward when not in use. I admit there was a crowding issue, but as I saw it, the difficulty stemmed from people standing 4-5 deep at tables and stopping in the middles of the aisles, and none of them were paying the least bit of attention to what was going on around them.

If I had my way, those aisles would have been at least 20 feet wide, but with the expense of renting convention space by the square foot, that's just not a very realistic expectation. As it has been mentioned in so many threads already, in a con as big as ACen, crowds are to be expected. We just have to deal with them as best as we can.

#8 User is offline   Smokey 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 May 2008 - 07:46 PM

View Postalunde, on May 20 2008, 07:13 PM, said:

Having a ground-level entrance via the expoteria was helpful. I'm not what most people would call disabled, but I use a wheeled back-pack because of a bad back, so having a direct alternative to the long winding road over the rooftops was a relief.

For the first time I found myself using that route quite a bit myself. Thanks to the restaurant for allowing us to use their entrance as a shortcut, even though they really need to get legal and install an automatic door somewhere.

#9 User is offline   Smokey 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 May 2008 - 07:49 PM

View PostDogao, on May 20 2008, 07:22 PM, said:

Seconded. I chilled in my friend's AA booth for a couple hours Saturday and I saw TWO people in wheelchairs patiently struggling to get through. :( It's like people just didn't see them. I don't know what was wrong with them.

Both graciously passed on my offer to get up and "clear a path" for them. ;) Hey, my little sis used to be in a wheelchair, it's a sensitive subject for me.

Not sure how to handle this :( Sorry for the lack of suggestions!!!

Have you ever considered signing up to help work at the con? I'm going to be adding some staff and could sure use someone that has experience in working with the handicapped.

#10 User is offline   Purplegodess 

• MAPS Director & Art and Publications Manager
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Administrator
  • Member No.: 5803

Posted 20 May 2008 - 08:19 PM

I agree there needed to be more aisle space I will do my best to get more space for the alley next year. :heart: :heart:

Art and Publications Manager
Convention Officer:Secretary 2008-2014
M.A.P.S. Director
Artist Alley DH 2007-2008

Live like there is no tomorrow, and dream like you'll live forever...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

#11 User is offline   Purplegodess 

• MAPS Director & Art and Publications Manager
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Administrator
  • Member No.: 5803

Posted 20 May 2008 - 08:21 PM

View PostDave, on May 20 2008, 08:41 PM, said:

I inspected AA for accessibility before the con began, and while the width of the aisles were borderline, they still conformed to the requirements of the equal access laws. In addition, I went through there on a regular basis to make sure that those who had chairs on the customer side of the tables kept them turned inward when not in use. I admit there was a crowding issue, but as I saw it, the difficulty stemmed from people standing 4-5 deep at tables and stopping in the middles of the aisles, and none of them were paying the least bit of attention to what was going on around them.

If I had my way, those aisles would have been at least 20 feet wide, but with the expense of renting convention space by the square foot, that's just not a very realistic expectation. As it has been mentioned in so many threads already, in a con as big as ACen, crowds are to be expected. We just have to deal with them as best as we can.

If I had my way I would as well, but unfortunately I was limited. The difficulties did stem from people standing several people deep. The popularity of the Alley this year was outstanding but did make it harder for special needs people to access it. I will do my best to rectify this

Art and Publications Manager
Convention Officer:Secretary 2008-2014
M.A.P.S. Director
Artist Alley DH 2007-2008

Live like there is no tomorrow, and dream like you'll live forever...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

#12 User is offline   Smokey 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 May 2008 - 12:47 AM

View PostPurplegodess, on May 20 2008, 09:21 PM, said:

If I had my way I would as well, but unfortunately I was limited. The difficulties did stem from people standing several people deep. The popularity of the Alley this year was outstanding but did make it harder for special needs people to access it. I will do my best to rectify this

Space and budget permitting, that would be great, thanks.

#13 User is offline   Lady Leopardess 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 11572

Posted 24 December 2008 - 01:38 AM

I'm not sure if they were available last year I didn't think to ask. But if you guys could print out enlarged program schedules (or some how have one online) that would be helpful , since I do remember the one on the website last year was like really small( I"m guessing like size 10 font?). Just since I'm visually impaired so something in a size like 14 font would be helpful.

This post has been edited by Lady Leopardess: 24 December 2008 - 01:41 AM

ACEN 09 cosplay
Battle outfit Ichigo - Tokyo Mew Mew
Manga Bride outfit Makoto- Sailor Moon
ACEN '10 cosplay:
Espeon (Friday and Sunday)
, Princess Kakyuu from Sailor Moon, Euphie (wedding outfit from Code Geass (both Saturday)
ACEN '11cosplay:
Friday : Flareon Gijinka Saturday:Eternal Sailor Jupiter,Bride Princess Euphemia(?), Kiki (?) Sunday Belldandy

#14 User is offline   Smokey 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 December 2008 - 06:23 PM

View PostLady Leopardess, on Dec 24 2008, 01:38 AM, said:

I'm not sure if they were available last year I didn't think to ask. But if you guys could print out enlarged program schedules (or some how have one online) that would be helpful , since I do remember the one on the website last year was like really small( I"m guessing like size 10 font?). Just since I'm visually impaired so something in a size like 14 font would be helpful.

They were available, as well as large maps. As I was working alone the last two years and didn't have any Help Desks set up yet, getting them distributed to the people that needed them was a bit of a problem. Starting in '09, there will be 2 Help Desks available. In the Stevens it's located right at the entrance to Registration, and in the Hyatt, you can find us at the Customer Service desk. Stop on by and we'll take care of you.

#15 User is offline   Lady Leopardess 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 11572

Posted 27 December 2008 - 01:46 PM

View PostDave, on Dec 24 2008, 06:23 PM, said:

They were available, as well as large maps. As I was working alone the last two years and didn't have any Help Desks set up yet, getting them distributed to the people that needed them was a bit of a problem. Starting in '09, there will be 2 Help Desks available. In the Stevens it's located right at the entrance to Registration, and in the Hyatt, you can find us at the Customer Service desk. Stop on by and we'll take care of you.

Okay cool thanks :heart:
ACEN 09 cosplay
Battle outfit Ichigo - Tokyo Mew Mew
Manga Bride outfit Makoto- Sailor Moon
ACEN '10 cosplay:
Espeon (Friday and Sunday)
, Princess Kakyuu from Sailor Moon, Euphie (wedding outfit from Code Geass (both Saturday)
ACEN '11cosplay:
Friday : Flareon Gijinka Saturday:Eternal Sailor Jupiter,Bride Princess Euphemia(?), Kiki (?) Sunday Belldandy

#16 User is offline   psyco_chick32 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 1735

Posted 13 February 2009 - 07:55 PM

View PostDave, on Dec 24 2008, 08:23 PM, said:

Maybe could a stack of them be over by bags o' loot as well? Everybody swings by there to grab their stuff anyway, so it'd be easy to grab one and they wouldn't have to be hunted down :)

#17 User is offline   Smokey 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 February 2009 - 10:57 PM

View Postpsyco_chick32, on Feb 13 2009, 07:55 PM, said:

Maybe could a stack of them be over by bags o' loot as well? Everybody swings by there to grab their stuff anyway, so it'd be easy to grab one and they wouldn't have to be hunted down :)

Thanks for the suggestion.

#18 User is offline   akaikurama 

• Panel Programming Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 10043

Posted 27 February 2009 - 09:46 AM

I would like to just ask about the Hyatts handicap parking situation, it seems that the Hyatt has a section of their designated parking spaces filled with storage lockers (by the loading docks and the exit of the garage) and have thus limited the handicapped parking to two spaces by the East entry door. Will those spaces be available come con time?
Remember...
Pics
Short but sweet!!

#19 User is offline   Smokey 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 February 2009 - 06:43 PM

View Postakaikurama, on Feb 27 2009, 09:46 AM, said:

I would like to just ask about the Hyatts handicap parking situation, it seems that the Hyatt has a section of their designated parking spaces filled with storage lockers (by the loading docks and the exit of the garage) and have thus limited the handicapped parking to two spaces by the East entry door. Will those spaces be available come con time?

Those are just the outside spaces. There are many more on the second floor of the garage (right at the top of the ramp,) and IIRC, there's one by the glass doors on each of the other floors. Overhead clearance is 6' 10". My van just fits.

I'll be going to the Hyatt tomorrow, and will check out those outside handicap spaces. If they're obstructed, you can trust that I'll be raising some serious hell about it.

#20 User is offline   akaikurama 

• Panel Programming Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 10043

Posted 27 February 2009 - 10:15 PM

View PostDave, on Feb 27 2009, 06:43 PM, said:

Those are just the outside spaces. There are many more on the second floor of the garage (right at the top of the ramp,) and IIRC, there's one by the glass doors on each of the other floors. Overhead clearance is 6' 10". My van just fits.

I'll be going to the Hyatt tomorrow, and will check out those outside handicap spaces. If they're obstructed, you can trust that I'll be raising some serious hell about it.

Thanks. I drive a truck, I'll have to see if it will fit but I prefer to park outside.
Remember...
Pics
Short but sweet!!

#21 User is offline   Ulrike 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 29733

Posted 10 May 2009 - 11:45 PM

I don't know if I'm supposed to post this here or at the IRT board, but it seems to fit both.

I remember reading on the forum that there would be help for people with disabilities or special needs. My medical illness is not horribly severe but needs immediate attention in a crisis. When waiting in the long, outside line for the Soap Bubble, I asked an IRT if it would be possible to leave the line and use the bathroom in case of an emergency since I do suffer from overactive bladder. I made it clear that this was a true illness, but I had no medical identification or physical forms on me for this situation. He said that if I got out of line, I wasn't allowed to get back in, but he wouldn't stop me if it happened. I didn't have to go then, but I wanted to know in case of an emergency. But by the time we finally got inside the building (still in line, though) I was having severe problems and knew I could not make it into the Soap Bubble without a bathroom break. So I left the line and tried to ignore the IRT screaming, "Once you are out of line, you are NOT allowed back in!!" After barely making it to the bathroom, I came back toward the line where my friends were waiting but was immediately stopped by a giant, bearded IRT. I explained that I HAD to leave the line, told him I suffered from overactive bladder (much to my humiliation) and asked if it was possible to get back with my friends. The immediate response was no. I went back outside to the IRT I spoke to before and told him the situation. He said, "You should have gone when I told you to. That was over an hour ago." Obviously he did not understand the concept of this illness. But he turned to his fellow IRT in front of the entire line and explained the situation that "this girl has overactive bladder and got out of line!!" He told me I could get into line where I stood, which would have been another hour-long wait and would have been a repeat of what just happened. Finally getting a hold of my friends after much embarrassment, they found a nice staff person who let us in immediately with little questioning and confusion.

I'm worried about this for next year's Acen. Even if a person doesn't have a medical illness, I don't think anyone should be denied the use of bathrooms. Blatantly being told NO put me in a panicky situation and I fear missing more activities next year because I can't wait in line. For unseen medical illnesses such as this, do we need some kind of identification or badge? I'm sorry if I overlooked this. I'll make sure to get some kind of I.D. so this doesn't happen again.

#22 User is offline   Smokey 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Post icon  Posted 11 May 2009 - 07:44 PM

View PostUlrike, on May 11 2009, 12:45 AM, said:

I don't know if I'm supposed to post this here or at the IRT board, but it seems to fit both.

I remember reading on the forum that there would be help for people with disabilities or special needs. My medical illness is not horribly severe but needs immediate attention in a crisis. When waiting in the long, outside line for the Soap Bubble, I asked an IRT if it would be possible to leave the line and use the bathroom in case of an emergency since I do suffer from overactive bladder. I made it clear that this was a true illness, but I had no medical identification or physical forms on me for this situation. He said that if I got out of line, I wasn't allowed to get back in, but he wouldn't stop me if it happened. I didn't have to go then, but I wanted to know in case of an emergency. But by the time we finally got inside the building (still in line, though) I was having severe problems and knew I could not make it into the Soap Bubble without a bathroom break. So I left the line and tried to ignore the IRT screaming, "Once you are out of line, you are NOT allowed back in!!" After barely making it to the bathroom, I came back toward the line where my friends were waiting but was immediately stopped by a giant, bearded IRT. I explained that I HAD to leave the line, told him I suffered from overactive bladder (much to my humiliation) and asked if it was possible to get back with my friends. The immediate response was no. I went back outside to the IRT I spoke to before and told him the situation. He said, "You should have gone when I told you to. That was over an hour ago." Obviously he did not understand the concept of this illness. But he turned to his fellow IRT in front of the entire line and explained the situation that "this girl has overactive bladder and got out of line!!" He told me I could get into line where I stood, which would have been another hour-long wait and would have been a repeat of what just happened. Finally getting a hold of my friends after much embarrassment, they found a nice staff person who let us in immediately with little questioning and confusion.

I'm worried about this for next year's Acen. Even if a person doesn't have a medical illness, I don't think anyone should be denied the use of bathrooms. Blatantly being told NO put me in a panicky situation and I fear missing more activities next year because I can't wait in line. For unseen medical illnesses such as this, do we need some kind of identification or badge? I'm sorry if I overlooked this. I'll make sure to get some kind of I.D. so this doesn't happen again.

I'm so sorry that you had this problem with the lines. PLEASE don't blame IRT. They have to deal with literally hundreds of people wandering in, out and around lines and other crowded areas. They have no way of knowing if that person heading to the middle of a line had a legitimate medical reason to leave and is now returning, is coming late and trying to join friends that DID wait or is just some slacker trying to cut in. That's why they have the rule about not leaving the lines. They have to be fair and treat everyone the same, no matter what reasons or excuses they're told.

We know that there ARE people that have a medical need to leave, be it a problem that requires frequent or sudden need for a bathroom, have physical conditions that make it vital to get food quickly, are autistic or crowd phobic and have to decompress or need to medicate themselves (diabetics should NOT be required to inject themselves in the middle of a huge audience as far as I'm concerned.)

For those folks, we have a special pass that allows you to return after you've tended to your needs. It does not give you free rein to come and go as you please, you have to check in with the nearest IRT or other crowd control person before you leave along with other restrictions, but it DOES allow you take care of yourself and return to the point you came from. Yes, on occasion, we DO need proof of that condition, but those instances are rare. I require all of my nakama to have a certain level of experience in interacting with people who have special needs, so they know what you're going through, what you need (and how to weed out fakers just looking for a free ride.)

This has been posted on the web site, on the forums and in the large convention guide book (half of page 38 if you saved yours,) but it does bear repeating. If you have a disability, or a medical condition that interferes with leading a "normal" life, please stop by one of our Help Desks when you arrive. We're here to make sure that you don't have to miss out on anything because of it. This year we were located at the entrance to Registration as well as next door to Customer service in the Hyatt. These locations have proven to be very convenient to those that needed us, and I intend to request these two spaces again for all future conventions.

In addition to this pass, we also offered our version of the MedicAlert bracelet (just a card that's displayed in your badge case, but it works just the same) that gives our emergency medical personnel your most vital medical data on the spot while the rest of your emergency info is being looked up from your Registration form.

#23 User is offline   Lina 

• Queen Of Posts
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 10570

Posted 16 May 2010 - 08:02 PM

I wanted to thank you guys so much for giving me the pass even though I forgot my medicine at home on Thursday. I brought it with me the next day because I slept at my house Thursday night. I explained to them that I had forgotten my medicine and told them I had talked to Dave on the forums about getting a pass and they were really nice about it. I would not have been surprised if they told me to bring them my medicine, which I would have the next day and would not have argued with them at all because I understood that they would need proof because some people could just ask for one just so they could abuse it, but they trusted me. I am very grateful to have met such wonderful ADA and Compliance staff members. Keep up the wonderful work.
ACen '14 Cosplay
Fem!Gundam Tanaka [Super Dangan Ronpa 2] [100%]
ACen forum's number one poster and Disney nut.

View PostFoolish Humon, on 13 June 2010 - 07:19 PM, said:

Ladies ladies ladies, if you find a man whose only concern about a woman is her breast size, he just may be dumb enough to believe you if you say you have Ds when you have Bs. :thumbup:

#24 User is offline   Smokey 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 May 2010 - 10:57 PM

View PostLina, on May 16 2010, 09:02 PM, said:

I wanted to thank you guys so much for giving me the pass even though I forgot my medicine at home on Thursday. I brought it with me the next day because I slept at my house Thursday night. I explained to them that I had forgotten my medicine and told them I had talked to Dave on the forums about getting a pass and they were really nice about it. I would not have been surprised if they told me to bring them my medicine, which I would have the next day and would not have argued with them at all because I understood that they would need proof because some people could just ask for one just so they could abuse it, but they trusted me. I am very grateful to have met such wonderful ADA and Compliance staff members. Keep up the wonderful work.

On behalf of my team, thank you. As their DH, I'm convinced that I have the finest Disability Services staff of any anime con.

#25 User is offline   Lina 

• Queen Of Posts
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 10570

Posted 16 May 2010 - 11:00 PM

I hope they stay apart of your team because they were such wonderful people. =)
ACen '14 Cosplay
Fem!Gundam Tanaka [Super Dangan Ronpa 2] [100%]
ACen forum's number one poster and Disney nut.

View PostFoolish Humon, on 13 June 2010 - 07:19 PM, said:

Ladies ladies ladies, if you find a man whose only concern about a woman is her breast size, he just may be dumb enough to believe you if you say you have Ds when you have Bs. :thumbup:

#26 User is offline   Jguy 

• Elite Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Elite
  • Member No.: 18261

Posted 16 May 2010 - 11:01 PM

View PostDave, on May 16 2010, 11:57 PM, said:

On behalf of my team, thank you. As their DH, I'm convinced that I have the finest Disability Services staff of any anime con.

Dave, you are pretty awesome :)

I forget what for, but ADA helped out one of my friends on Saturday morning and she wanted to say thank you for your help. :)
Go ahead and stop by my website: My Site

jguy@jguy:~$ apt-get cookie
apt-get: cookie not found
jguy@jguy:~$ apt-get cake
apt-get: cake not found[/font][/center]

#27 User is offline   ZomgBlue 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 29826

Posted 17 May 2010 - 03:12 AM

I did not have a problem, but i have been suffering from JRA from age 5 of course now at age 24 it is just RA. all of my group i hang with knows of this and i have never felt to worry as i do keep my medical info on me at all times. now tough i do wonder with the medic alert card you tried this year if i should now bring the info needed and do that along with what i normally do as a person with needs. also this year i did take a rather big risk i guess as i have very decreased ability to clot due to pharamacology related issues.

will you from now on be doing the alert badge?

also would you mind schooling my boss at work about ada compliance?
the one the only princess neon plaid mix'n'match confusion of colour

#28 User is offline   KnitChick 

• ACen Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 9629

Posted 17 May 2010 - 01:49 PM

View PostZomgBlue, on May 17 2010, 04:12 AM, said:

I did not have a problem, but i have been suffering from JRA from age 5 of course now at age 24 it is just RA. all of my group i hang with knows of this and i have never felt to worry as i do keep my medical info on me at all times. now tough i do wonder with the medic alert card you tried this year if i should now bring the info needed and do that along with what i normally do as a person with needs. also this year i did take a rather big risk i guess as i have very decreased ability to clot due to pharamacology related issues.

will you from now on be doing the alert badge?

also would you mind schooling my boss at work about ada compliance?

We plan to continue the Medic Info cards, as they are really great for EMRT. I actually saw a young lady being helped by one of our EMRT members when I was on shift in the Stevens and he pulled that out to use. So yes, even if you have no medical issues but might be allergic to penicillin, please stop by either of our locations to get a Medic Info card, because then EMRT has all the important information at their fingertips.

I don't know about schooling your boss ;) but there is a book I found out about recently, the Pocket Guide to ADA Compliance, that you could always get from the library and show it to your boss.
Special Needs and Compliance DH for Acen! Come see us in the Hyatt Grand Boardroom!!
Acen 2014: 50s Sailor Mercury, Agent Simmons from S.H.I.E.L.D., Kim Possible, Ghostbuster, frazzled DH
Youmacon 2014: (tentative) Captain Marvelous, Agent Simmons?, Ace from Doctor Who?
Chicago TARDIS 2014: (tentative) Fourth Doctor, Ace

Member of Team GEEK for the Norridge/Harwood Heights Relay for Life! Please join us or donate!
Ninja on the Glomp Team! Member of the Crossplay Alliance! / My blog / My pictures! (Flickr)
Resident Ghostbusters, Doctor Who, Firefly, Quantum Leap, Transformers, Harry Potter, Highlander, Girl Genius, Super Sentai and Nerima Daikon Brothers obsessor!

#29 User is offline   ZomgBlue 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 29826

Posted 17 May 2010 - 07:01 PM

View PostKnitChick, on May 17 2010, 02:49 PM, said:

I don't know about schooling your boss ;) but there is a book I found out about recently, the Pocket Guide to ADA Compliance, that you could always get from the library and show it to your boss.

you have just been so much more helpful than you will ever know. i will most likely be buying the book though because i have had so many work related ada non compliance issues.

also next year i will be stopping by for a medic info card
the one the only princess neon plaid mix'n'match confusion of colour

#30 User is offline   retro 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 17321

Posted 18 May 2010 - 08:29 AM

I want to thank you and your team my freinds mom brought her service dog on fri morning and you guys were awsome. we even had an emrt ask about her and the dog when we bunbed into him latter and it was nice to see that level of care and attention. thank you from all of us
In life you can laugh or cry I interned to die laughing

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users