Anime Central Forums: Are They Frustrated Or Just Plain Rude? - Anime Central Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Are They Frustrated Or Just Plain Rude?

#31 User is offline   keitaro-849 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 9285

Posted 05 November 2008 - 11:31 PM

So is it at all possible to have the IRT get some training before they attend the con on how to handle huge crowds of people? I'm sure many of the IRT's just crack under the incredible stress of dealing with the troublesome members of acen. It's not like everyone is going to cause them trouble either. But nonetheless they need to find a way to just relax a little and not snap at someone that just happens to bump into them or someone who accidentally knocks over one of the dividers to the registration line (Actually I was there when that happened I just thought it was funny). IRT have the icredibly difficult job of maintaining control and trying to make things run smoothly (at least thats my impression about them). You can't just yell at people because you 're taking out your frustration of the situation. It's just not right to do that. I'm glad that IRT has apologized for some of their actions. We want change, we want IRT to be able to handle situations they aren't typically used to. Can acen at least give them some sort of preparation for what they may face?. These people don't know what their getting themselves into most of the time when they decide to join IRT.

I was a little pissed that IRT moved my scheduled Gaia get together meeting to a different location. I plan these gatherings way in advance and alot of the members on my list probably didn't realize what happened so they didn't get to meet up with us. I originally planned the meeting to be in the con. center lobby area, but no one informed me that the location was not open for gatherings. The least IRT could of done was redirect my group or people looking for my group to a new location.

This post has been edited by keitaro-849: 06 November 2008 - 12:26 AM

If you wanna chat to me ;)
aim: keitaro849
msn: alan849@hotmail.com
yahoo: dejiko849
facebook: http://facebook.com/Dashy.of.harmony

#32 User is offline   Riker 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 17316

Posted 06 November 2008 - 02:11 PM

View PostImulsion, on Nov 3 2008, 06:37 PM, said:

I plan to help around for next year NOT to act like a dick, but just to stuff some extra dollars into my pocket.

Uh, how exactly do you think that helping out IRT is going to put extra dollars in your pocket? We're not paid. No ACen staff is paid.

View Postchompzie, on Nov 4 2008, 10:43 AM, said:

Not saying that there is any excuse for name-calling or anything like that, but the perceived rudeness and 'arrogance' is probably just normal human beings fed up with the ridiculous stunts being pulled.

View Postkeitaro-849, on Nov 5 2008, 11:31 PM, said:

So is it at all possible to have the IRT get some training before they attend the con on how to handle huge crowds of people? I'm sure many of the IRT's just crack under the incredible stress of dealing with the troublesome members of acen. It's not like everyone is going to cause them trouble either. But nonetheless they need to find a way to just relax a little and not snap at someone that just happens to bump into them or someone who accidentally knocks over one of the dividers to the registration line (Actually I was there when that happened I just thought it was funny). IRT have the icredibly difficult job of maintaining control and trying to make things run smoothly (at least thats my impression about them). You can't just yell at people because you 're taking out your frustration of the situation. It's just not right to do that. I'm glad that IRT has apologized for some of their actions. We want change, we want IRT to be able to handle situations they aren't typically used to. Can acen at least give them some sort of preparation for what they may face?. These people don't know what their getting themselves into most of the time when they decide to join IRT.

Bingo. You two both hit the nail on the head. In 2007 for example, I was up for 86 hours straight. But that still doesn't excuse rudeness and hostility. We are trying very hard to get everyone in IRT a lot more training this year in how to keep their cool and do their job professionally. The new DH of IRT has made it very clear that this behavior is not acceptable. So a lot of this should be better next year.

View Postkeitaro-849, on Nov 5 2008, 11:31 PM, said:

I was a little pissed that IRT moved my scheduled Gaia get together meeting to a different location. I plan these gatherings way in advance and alot of the members on my list probably didn't realize what happened so they didn't get to meet up with us. I originally planned the meeting to be in the con. center lobby area, but no one informed me that the location was not open for gatherings. The least IRT could of done was redirect my group or people looking for my group to a new location.

This is where I have to disagree with you, Keitaro, on almost every point:

a) You planned a meetup in one of the most heavily-trafficked areas of the entire hotel?? Did you consider the number of people that would inconvenience or the fire hazard it causes?? No offense, but I think that was a very short-sighted decision on your part. IRT doesn't "inform people" that all of these locations are not open for gatherings because we expect people to have common sense, and schedule informal meetups in places where they will not be right in the way of everyone trying to get in and out of the hotel.

b) You say we should have "redirected people looking for your group to a new location." While it's true that would have been very nice of us to do, we have neither the manpower nor the time to be your signposts. We don't keep track of every informal gathering going on -- we have enough trouble just keeping track of the insane amount of official events going on at ACen! It certainly isn't our job for all of our operatives to know about one particular meetup and be able to direct everybody there.

I'm not trying to be rude about this, but I really think that you might want to reconsider your position.
Riker
Night Shift Dispatcher, IRT
Programmer and Network Tech, IT Dept.
Convention Committee Member, Operations Section

Property of SongstressLenne ♥

Orbis Arangiam Nostram Est

#33 User is offline   keitaro-849 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 November 2008 - 08:47 PM

View PostRiker, on Nov 6 2008, 02:11 PM, said:

Uh, how exactly do you think that helping out IRT is going to put extra dollars in your pocket? We're not paid. No ACen staff is paid.

Bingo. You two both hit the nail on the head. In 2007 for example, I was up for 86 hours straight. But that still doesn't excuse rudeness and hostility. We are trying very hard to get everyone in IRT a lot more training this year in how to keep their cool and do their job professionally. The new DH of IRT has made it very clear that this behavior is not acceptable. So a lot of this should be better next year.

This is where I have to disagree with you, Keitaro, on almost every point:

a) You planned a meetup in one of the most heavily-trafficked areas of the entire hotel?? Did you consider the number of people that would inconvenience or the fire hazard it causes?? No offense, but I think that was a very short-sighted decision on your part. IRT doesn't "inform people" that all of these locations are not open for gatherings because we expect people to have common sense, and schedule informal meetups in places where they will not be right in the way of everyone trying to get in and out of the hotel.

B) You say we should have "redirected people looking for your group to a new location." While it's true that would have been very nice of us to do, we have neither the manpower nor the time to be your signposts. We don't keep track of every informal gathering going on -- we have enough trouble just keeping track of the insane amount of official events going on at ACen! It certainly isn't our job for all of our operatives to know about one particular meetup and be able to direct everybody there.

I'm not trying to be rude about this, but I really think that you might want to reconsider your position.

It was supposed to be in the corner of the room away from the crowds of people that was how I planned it. I thought it wouldn't be a major problem because my groups are never as big as I'd hope them to be. Perhaps for next time I'll put it in a hotel room or a place that doesn't usually have crowds of people walking through. I was thinking the dome area would be ok. I tried outside one year but it didn't work out because of all the smokers coming out to have a smoke all at once. I enjoy having these meetings because it's a good way to meet a few people from gaia outside of a panel. I know you won't inform us of which places are a fire hazard if any groups congregate in the area, but can I ask if a particular location, if i'm not sure its ok, is a suitable place for a meeting?

("I'm not trying to be rude about this, but I really think that you might want to reconsider your position.") Yes I understand I'm sorry.

This post has been edited by keitaro-849: 08 November 2008 - 09:18 PM

#34 User is offline   Alicorn 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 8346

Posted 08 November 2008 - 09:29 PM

For an idea of what places might be good for gatherings, I think this thread is pretty helpful: http://www.acen.org/...showtopic=20126

RenegadePocky put up photos of popular gathering areas, as well as linking to the ACen Guys' page with hotel interior photos from after the renovations, and you can also scroll down the list and check out where other groups have had gatherings before. All the locations that were selected weren't specifically approved by staff, so just because someone listed/used it as a gathering spot last year doesn't necessarily mean it's a-ok. Any group that gets too large/rowdy for its location might have to be asked to move for safety purposes (I notice that several of the large, popular groups picked the lobby as a backup in case it was rainy, which wouldn't have worked too well as you found out with the Gaia group!)

You can also start a thread about your gathering and ask experienced congoers where they would suggest meeting up - in case you can't tell from the photos in the link what kind of place it is ^_^ If it's only a few people, sure the hotel room can work...but I think Gaia is more popular than that o_O;;

I know smokers can be a problem if you're a group of nonsmokers who just wants to hang around outside - if you choose an outside location away from the doors, that'll help, since often smokers will congregate as near as (legally) possible to doorways for convenience.

#35 User is offline   keitaro-849 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 November 2008 - 09:43 PM

View PostAlicorn, on Nov 8 2008, 09:29 PM, said:

For an idea of what places might be good for gatherings, I think this thread is pretty helpful: http://www.acen.org/...showtopic=20126

RenegadePocky put up photos of popular gathering areas, as well as linking to the ACen Guys' page with hotel interior photos from after the renovations, and you can also scroll down the list and check out where other groups have had gatherings before. All the locations that were selected weren't specifically approved by staff, so just because someone listed/used it as a gathering spot last year doesn't necessarily mean it's a-ok. Any group that gets too large/rowdy for its location might have to be asked to move for safety purposes (I notice that several of the large, popular groups picked the lobby as a backup in case it was rainy, which wouldn't have worked too well as you found out with the Gaia group!)

You can also start a thread about your gathering and ask experienced congoers where they would suggest meeting up - in case you can't tell from the photos in the link what kind of place it is ^_^ If it's only a few people, sure the hotel room can work...but I think Gaia is more popular than that o_O;;

I know smokers can be a problem if you're a group of nonsmokers who just wants to hang around outside - if you choose an outside location away from the doors, that'll help, since often smokers will congregate as near as (legally) possible to doorways for convenience.

thank you this helps me alot. funny thing is I get 100 people or more on the list and only 20 or 30 show up. i think the 2nd year i planned this meeting i had lots more show up like 50 or 60.

This post has been edited by keitaro-849: 08 November 2008 - 09:48 PM

#36 User is offline   Chibifaery 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 8986

Posted 23 March 2009 - 10:50 PM

I'd just like to add my two cents. I've never personally experienced anything bad with IRT, but I have seen some being kind rude to some people.....overly rude when the situation didn't call for it. But that isn't my place to complain because it has never happened to me.

But since this is a place for the good AND bad I thought i'd add some good irt experience I had last year. The first one is I was wandering the dealers room with my friends and I happened to overhear a conversation between two IRT people. One had found a congoer's cell phone on the floor and he picked it up and proceeded to call the first contact in the phone to find out whom it belonged to so they could make sure to get that cell back to the proper owner. Most of us know how much your cell phone is your life line at convention when you are there with a large group of people!

And my other experience was my friends and I were stuck waiting outside for one of the events to happen...I think we were trying to see "Who's Line is it Anime?" And it was raining! So we were waiting in the parking garage in an insanely long line and there was a group of IRT people that were directing the line so we didn't extend out in to the street and stuff and they started organizing and playing line games with us to keep us entertained.

It's people like that that give IRT a good name, but unfortunately it only takes one bad apple to spoil the whole bunch.
What if the hokey-pokey is what it is all about?

#37 User is offline   Fullmetalcrusade 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 2749

Posted 24 March 2009 - 09:44 AM

I've also had to deal with bad IRT, I had one guy tell me to shut up, very rudely of course, for basically doing nothing. Some friends and I were in the lobby late at night and he thought we were sleeping. I told the guy we weren't sleeping and we were just chilling and talking but that wasn't good enough. I told him to leave us alone because no one there was sleeping(our eyes were open after all, save for the millisecond it takes to blink) and thats when he told me to shutup. I swear if that happens again whichever IRT guy gives me crap over nothing is gonna get a verbal beatdown Christian Bale style.

View PostFlyingElf, on Apr 21 2007, 10:26 PM, said:

Reactor doesnt' count as a con. Reactor is an experiment in how bad a group of otaku can destroy a hotel given 3 days...

#38 User is offline   Gypsy 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 4636

Posted 13 April 2009 - 10:46 AM

View PostKingofKOF, on Mar 24 2009, 04:44 PM, said:

I've also had to deal with bad IRT, I had one guy tell me to shut up, very rudely of course, for basically doing nothing. Some friends and I were in the lobby late at night and he thought we were sleeping. I told the guy we weren't sleeping and we were just chilling and talking but that wasn't good enough. I told him to leave us alone because no one there was sleeping(our eyes were open after all, save for the millisecond it takes to blink) and thats when he told me to shutup. I swear if that happens again whichever IRT guy gives me crap over nothing is gonna get a verbal beatdown Christian Bale style.

I can relate to your frustration, it's never fun to have someone rain on your parade when you're out to just have fun at a convention. May I suggest an alternative course of action in the event you have a bad experience with IRT at this or any future year's convention? Our first instinct is to respond to hostility with more of the same, which only aggravates and magnifies whatever the original situation was without contributing a solution.

Every IRT member you encounter should have a con badge with their name, as well as a orange-on-black nametape with their "Callsign." For example, my con badge will list my name (Michael Lindsey) and my nametape will list my callsign (Gypsy.) If someone is being rude to you, make note of either or both those names, and after your interaction is finished go to the IRT pen and report that officer. Any IRT operative can give you directions to the pen, it's where prop check is located. If you speak to someone in the pen, your concern will be addressed. The more information you can bring (when/where did it happen, who else was there, etc) the more helpful it will be to resolve the issue. And while you'll have no trouble finding someone to agree that you shouldn't have to deal with that sort of hassle at a con (and hopefully won't have to), your input will help to make the con a friendlier and more efficient place for everyone else.

Because I can blather a bit if left to my own devices, here's the tl;dr version:

1) Please don't respond to hostility with hostility. I can assure you that every IRT op has been given the same instructions.
2) If you have a problem, note the op's name and/or callsign.
3) Provide that information at your earliest convenience to the pen, and IRT leadership will address your concern.

I hope you have a wonderful con!

- Gypsy
For complaints and inquiries regarding IRT actions during con, please fill out the following short form and post it to the IRT Comments Concerns thread.
When: Date and approximate time, as best you can acertain.
Where: The exact location.
Who: A name or description of IRT member(s).
What: EXACTLY what you feel was wrong. Be specific, with quotes if possible.
When: What day and time did the even occur?
How: How would you have handled the problem differently if you were the IRT member?

#39 User is offline   trunks_lover29 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 37361

Posted 11 September 2009 - 10:43 AM

View PostSongstressLenne, on May 19 2008, 02:14 PM, said:

Yes, there were some people on IRT that need to be re-evaluated

Yes, some did get a little hasty

Yes, it seemed like a few were power hungry.

BUT

When people volunteer they sometimes don't realize what they put themselves into and most likely won't join again...or not ask to join.

Some of these people worked way beyond their call, pulling doubles and some of the IRT didn't even get a proper badge like some of regular attendees did as well.

No offense this is NOT Disneyland, and some people are not trained with people skills...sadly.

If you remember the ID or a description and you were given a hard time, the proper people will take care of it.

From the looks of it it seems like I see complaints about the same few people.

I thought ACEN had ended the days of letting people volunteer for IRT positions? I've been trying to leave out complaints about volunteer IRT members because I was told they were all professional staff in 2009. Well that opens up a whole new can of worms.

I'm not trying to be rude to the moderator that I quoted, but I've got a couple points to add now that I know for sure there are volunteers:

1.) Volunteers in a security force. Does the insurance company that covers ACEN know this? Because I can't begin to imagine how much extra it must cost you to be using untrained and unlicensed individuals for a security force. Aren't they a liability?

a.) Authority. I have a hard time respecting the authority of an IRT member who looks like he's gonna stumble back to his room to smoke a joint as soon as his shift it over, or a girl who I'm terribly afraid is anorexic. I made this complaint about appearances before and had someone say to me "Do you think all security guards have to look big and muscular." The answer is, no. I don't think they have to be big and muscular bouncer-types, but they do have to look like authority figures, and yes, they do have to look like they could forcibly remove someone if they had to. How am I supposed to feel safe from the threat of a fan-girl stampede (oh yes, I've seen them come close to happening) when the security guard is a 5'2" 90 lb girl (not kidding, there was one 2008) who looks like a stiff breeze would knock her over. Women can appear every bit as authoritative as men without as much muscle, but you have to have the look/attitude. Running around in a IRT vest with a lost-puppy expression doesn't cut it.

b.) Training. Of course it goes without saying that if your volunteers are a one-time deal they probably won't get the training they need, but that hardly seems like a good excuse in light of the important position that a security guard maintains at a convention. None of the IRT member ever know what's going on, and I realize things change abruptly, but they have walkie-talkies for a reason. And cluttering the lines with simple questions can't be a problem either, because you just set up a frequency for technical questions.

c.) Selection. I've never been able to pinpoint a selection focus for the IRT volunteers, it seems arbitrary and random. It seems strange that I have to fill out an application to become a volunteer at my local animal shelter, but so far as I know I wouldn't have to for ACEN. Of all the volunteers there must be a few people that you find that have customer service skills. Some of those IRT people should know better than to through their attitude at a bunch anime fans. You never know which ones are going to be aggressive. This gets back to the authority bit; those with authority know how to use it without blowing their lids. They also know when a situation calls for force and act accordingly in a manner in which no one can get hurt. It seems like a lot of the IRT that blow up on people at the drop of a pin simply don't know how to convince someone to follow their orders without raising their voices and using their poor intimidation skills.

2.) Misinformation. I've been bold-faced lied to by IRT staff on several different occasions, all of which one of my friends had to pull me away from for fear of getting kicked-out. Not that I would have hit anyone, but I don't like to let people get away with lying to me because it's convenient for them. For example: In 2008 there was a door into the convention hall (just the panel rooms, not the exhibit hall) that faced the Hyatt hotel. The doors were unlocked and con-goers were allowed to used them. When Jeff Nimoy and Quentin Flinn (forgive me if I spelled their names wrong) couldn't leave their panel because of all the angry fangirls foaming at the bit for an autograph were threatening to riot the IRT set up a table outside the room so that the next panel could start, but also so that Jeff and Quentin could continue signing (very nice of them). My friend and I had finished with the panel long ago and were trying to leave, of course at that time we "knew" that we couldn't go through the exhibit hall because we weren't allowed to after the last panel we attended. It should also be noted that we were there a while after the panel ended (giving IRT enough time to set up the table and get to business) because we waited at the door to another panel further down the hall for another friend there. As the three of us were walking out to the door we though was still an exit we spied a grocery cart, yes a simple grocery cart, blocking open one of the doors. Thinking this was some sort of prank (considering that there were no signs to tell us the door could not be used) I went to move the cart, at which time an IRT member noticed me and decided to get snippy. He told me I couldn't go out that way, to which I responded that it was the only way since we weren't allowed to go through the exhibition hall. I was told me could now, even though I could see that the barricade to the exhibition hall was still firmly in place. I confronted the IRT member about this and asked what the problem was with the previously working door (it was because of the rabid fangirls, but of course he didn't want to say that) so instead he tells me this: "The Fire Marshall came over and said it was a hazard." I almost died laughing, because of course I had to confront him on the fact that #1: the Fire Marshall would have inspected the place before the con even started. #2: The Fire Marshall is not at your beck and call. #3: A working doorway conveniently labeled "Fire Exit" could hardly be a fire hazard and #4: It's only a hazard because you're blocking the only exit out of this hallway with a grocery cart.

As you can tell I have a problem being lied to. There were three IRT members there at the time, one of them could have looked at me when I started moving the cart and said "Please don't move that, we can't use that door at this time, but I can show you how to get back out to the street another way." Simple, no aggression, no lies, and I would have complied readily if that had been his choice of words. But instead he mouthed off to me and then lied. Very unprofessional.

3.) Other Staff: I find the other staff members defending IRT on the forums with messages like the one above. Once again, no offense, because the moderators on the forums have been very helpful from what I've seen, but you can't defend IRT with excuses like "this isn't a perfect world." People pay to go to ACEN, and when someone pays you for a service you should feel obligated to do everything in your power to make them happy and comfortable. Now when people get out of hand and start making claims to things that are well beyond your duties and obligations you can tell them that there is nothing you can do for them (we can't please all the people all the time after all). But for complaints like "I had an IRT member curse at me several times" or "An IRT member ignored my broken toe and wouldn't even leave the IRT room to help me find an EMT or someone to take me to the hospital" or "The negligence of an IRT member caused an injury of mine" those kind of complaints can't be pushed under the rug. Those are problems that shouldn't be happening year after year after year. I fell like, if there weren't so many volunteer IRT, no one would be defending the security force when things like this happen. If all of IRT were a private company and these issues were still present year after year, you'd just fire the company and hire a new security force. That's it.

#40 Guest_SongstressLenne_*

• Group: Guests*
  • Member No.:

Posted 11 September 2009 - 11:10 AM

View Posttrunks_lover29, on Sep 11 2009, 11:43 AM, said:

I thought ACEN had ended the days of letting people volunteer for IRT positions? I've been trying to leave out complaints about volunteer IRT members because I was told they were all professional staff in 2009. Well that opens up a whole new can of worms.

I'm not trying to be rude to the moderator that I quoted, but I've got a couple points to add now that I know for sure there are volunteers:

1.) Volunteers in a security force. Does the insurance company that covers ACEN know this? Because I can't begin to imagine how much extra it must cost you to be using untrained and unlicensed individuals for a security force. Aren't they a liability?

a.) Authority. I have a hard time respecting the authority of an IRT member who looks like he's gonna stumble back to his room to smoke a joint as soon as his shift it over, or a girl who I'm terribly afraid is anorexic. I made this complaint about appearances before and had someone say to me "Do you think all security guards have to look big and muscular." The answer is, no. I don't think they have to be big and muscular bouncer-types, but they do have to look like authority figures, and yes, they do have to look like they could forcibly remove someone if they had to. How am I supposed to feel safe from the threat of a fan-girl stampede (oh yes, I've seen them come close to happening) when the security guard is a 5'2" 90 lb girl (not kidding, there was one 2008) who looks like a stiff breeze would knock her over. Women can appear every bit as authoritative as men without as much muscle, but you have to have the look/attitude. Running around in a IRT vest with a lost-puppy expression doesn't cut it.

b.) Training. Of course it goes without saying that if your volunteers are a one-time deal they probably won't get the training they need, but that hardly seems like a good excuse in light of the important position that a security guard maintains at a convention. None of the IRT member ever know what's going on, and I realize things change abruptly, but they have walkie-talkies for a reason. And cluttering the lines with simple questions can't be a problem either, because you just set up a frequency for technical questions.

c.) Selection. I've never been able to pinpoint a selection focus for the IRT volunteers, it seems arbitrary and random. It seems strange that I have to fill out an application to become a volunteer at my local animal shelter, but so far as I know I wouldn't have to for ACEN. Of all the volunteers there must be a few people that you find that have customer service skills. Some of those IRT people should know better than to through their attitude at a bunch anime fans. You never know which ones are going to be aggressive. This gets back to the authority bit; those with authority know how to use it without blowing their lids. They also know when a situation calls for force and act accordingly in a manner in which no one can get hurt. It seems like a lot of the IRT that blow up on people at the drop of a pin simply don't know how to convince someone to follow their orders without raising their voices and using their poor intimidation skills.

2.) Misinformation. I've been bold-faced lied to by IRT staff on several different occasions, all of which one of my friends had to pull me away from for fear of getting kicked-out. Not that I would have hit anyone, but I don't like to let people get away with lying to me because it's convenient for them. For example: In 2008 there was a door into the convention hall (just the panel rooms, not the exhibit hall) that faced the Hyatt hotel. The doors were unlocked and con-goers were allowed to used them. When Jeff Nimoy and Quentin Flinn (forgive me if I spelled their names wrong) couldn't leave their panel because of all the angry fangirls foaming at the bit for an autograph were threatening to riot the IRT set up a table outside the room so that the next panel could start, but also so that Jeff and Quentin could continue signing (very nice of them). My friend and I had finished with the panel long ago and were trying to leave, of course at that time we "knew" that we couldn't go through the exhibit hall because we weren't allowed to after the last panel we attended. It should also be noted that we were there a while after the panel ended (giving IRT enough time to set up the table and get to business) because we waited at the door to another panel further down the hall for another friend there. As the three of us were walking out to the door we though was still an exit we spied a grocery cart, yes a simple grocery cart, blocking open one of the doors. Thinking this was some sort of prank (considering that there were no signs to tell us the door could not be used) I went to move the cart, at which time an IRT member noticed me and decided to get snippy. He told me I couldn't go out that way, to which I responded that it was the only way since we weren't allowed to go through the exhibition hall. I was told me could now, even though I could see that the barricade to the exhibition hall was still firmly in place. I confronted the IRT member about this and asked what the problem was with the previously working door (it was because of the rabid fangirls, but of course he didn't want to say that) so instead he tells me this: "The Fire Marshall came over and said it was a hazard." I almost died laughing, because of course I had to confront him on the fact that #1: the Fire Marshall would have inspected the place before the con even started. #2: The Fire Marshall is not at your beck and call. #3: A working doorway conveniently labeled "Fire Exit" could hardly be a fire hazard and #4: It's only a hazard because you're blocking the only exit out of this hallway with a grocery cart.

As you can tell I have a problem being lied to. There were three IRT members there at the time, one of them could have looked at me when I started moving the cart and said "Please don't move that, we can't use that door at this time, but I can show you how to get back out to the street another way." Simple, no aggression, no lies, and I would have complied readily if that had been his choice of words. But instead he mouthed off to me and then lied. Very unprofessional.

3.) Other Staff: I find the other staff members defending IRT on the forums with messages like the one above. Once again, no offense, because the moderators on the forums have been very helpful from what I've seen, but you can't defend IRT with excuses like "this isn't a perfect world." People pay to go to ACEN, and when someone pays you for a service you should feel obligated to do everything in your power to make them happy and comfortable. Now when people get out of hand and start making claims to things that are well beyond your duties and obligations you can tell them that there is nothing you can do for them (we can't please all the people all the time after all). But for complaints like "I had an IRT member curse at me several times" or "An IRT member ignored my broken toe and wouldn't even leave the IRT room to help me find an EMT or someone to take me to the hospital" or "The negligence of an IRT member caused an injury of mine" those kind of complaints can't be pushed under the rug. Those are problems that shouldn't be happening year after year after year. I fell like, if there weren't so many volunteer IRT, no one would be defending the security force when things like this happen. If all of IRT were a private company and these issues were still present year after year, you'd just fire the company and hire a new security force. That's it.

This was when I was was an attendee and before I was staff. I became a staffer in late of 09' and a moderator shortly after the convention. So this was my opinion as an attendee standpoint.

I do not know the whole process of IRT training and all of the policies so I cannot fully answer your question, I am sorry.

#41 User is offline   God Hand 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 38263

Posted 12 September 2009 - 01:17 AM

Well Trunks lover29 with My ADH next to me we read through your concerns, and i would like to address what I can...

In this respect I would like to point out the entirety of ACen staff is volunteer based. Be that as it may in IRT we are striving to gain a more professional standpoint. We go through an application process, then individual interviews, and then training.... This all having been stated we are not a "security" force. Simply put we are what the name says Incident Response.

To this every hire to the team has a Skill set we hire them for... Be that customer service, tech support, organizational skills, tactical skill, prior experience, clear communications, etc. etc. et all
Sometimes there are gender sensitive Incidents we have to Respond to, and sometimes we need the big lugs but every situation is different and we try to diversify our team as best we can to cover all eventualities... Not to mention alot of our volunteer base comes from the Con-goers (I know I was!) who want to help the convention as best they can. We do NOT discriminate against size, sex, race, or hair length... any one who wants to HELP OUT IRT can apply here http://www.acen.org/...showtopic=31485

As previously Stated We do in fact train our operatives! (le gasp!) In the training we go over the basics of the hotel and our first year greens are ALMOST 99.99999999% partnered with a Veteran operative. A separate frequency would be the concerns of the IT department. Our radio Dispatchers are continuously responding to radio traffic for essential situations and should not have to respond to calls answering questions that the answers are printed in the ACen/IRT handbook which every operative receives...

As previously stated we do have a selection process please see above... NEXT!

2.) Misinformation

not everyone has all the answers all the time... while it is regrettable that you feel you were lied too, We do work with the Rosemont Fire Marshall at all times and he is a constant presence at ACen. Making sure we comply with his directions.

Please do not chastise other departments staff for speaking their minds on an open forum. While it seems that they are just blindly covering for us we have been working in tandem for a time and they have seen us at our best and worst... We try to make sure our Staff keeps a PG tounge in their mouths at all times, and that they are prepared to handle all situations. And we have placed certain "fail safes" in place to aid the ACen Con-goers in a pleasurable experience, such as the IRT HOTline (tsssh), as well as the entire Emergency Medical Response Team (EMRT) They have there own HQ set up across the hall from the IRT HQ which can both be found in the information guide you guys get with your badges! YAY swag! If you have any more incidents such as you have stated please drop by to see us or call the hotline and we will work with you to ensure your con goes great! Although more often then not our Operatives seem "negligent" they're more than likely responding to a rather specific dispatched detail... please try to work with us and we will continue to improve our standards.
Call Sign THANATOS
IRT OP: since so long ago I forgot
IRT Concerts Supervisor:2009
IRT SpecEvents:2010
IRT ADH:2011
Do I get to sleep yet?...Probably not...

#42 User is offline   TheRabbi 

• IRT ADH
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Assistant Department Head
  • Member No.: 591

Posted 12 September 2009 - 07:57 AM

Anon, thanks for taking the brunt of this. There are a few things I'd like to add, trunks_lover, so you have the whole story. If nothing else, though, I hope that this response helps convince you that we are listening to the attendees and working on fixing the things that are wrong with IRT. It's a continual process, though; last year was a big step up, and hopefully this year will be too. From what I've seen, we're already on the right track.

All convention staff are volunteers. As Anon says, we aren't security - we're incident response. If IRT didn't exist, it would have to be staffers from other departments that took over those duties - holding lines, coordinating with emergency response, watching for shoplifting - and, while those other staffers should be helping to a certain extent, our department's primary job is to do all those things that would be secondary to other departments.

I'm actually a bit taken aback by this. We've spent years having people tell us we're trying to imitate SWAT and that our ops are condescending, but now people are telling us we don't look enough like authority figures. Our attitude is one of helpfulness and courtesy, until it becomes time to be tough and strict, and even when that happens, verbal and not physical authority is called for. Please don't judge based on looks. We don't discriminate for size or build - it should be noted that one of our most experienced supervisors is also one of the smallest people on the team - and I've seen her single-handedly hold back a few thousand people who wanted in on the Pillows concert right that minute.

As Anon pointed out, we do have training. This year is the first year we were able to do anything really comprehensive, and we've noted what seems to stick and what doesn't. Please rest assured that this is an issue we care about and are working on.

As for communications: we're aware that sometimes we have the wrong information (though I think it's a misstatement to say that none of the ops ever know what's going on). However, usually this is a result of us not having been notified by the appropriate department in the first place, and we're working on bridging that communications gap. (In fact, I'm about to head off to a meeting that will address some of those exact concerns.) Your suggestion about setting up an extra channel is impractical, however: our dispatching resources are limited and the overhead of switching off of the main channel and the chance of missing something important is too great. I will, however, put some thought towards how we can ensure that information gets disseminated better in the coming year.

As Anon mentioned, there is an application process for IRT. But what I'm surprised at is the duality of your perception of us - above we're all waifish stoners, and here we're all rude shouting hulks. I could write something about how conventions are very stressful - they are - and how it's hard to stay calm sometimes with all the stuff congoers throw at us - it is - but I think I'll just say that we know we're not perfect yet, and we're working on it.

2.) Misinformation.
/*snip*/

Please use an example from 2009. A lot of things changed from 2008 to 2009 - IRT got new leadership, many new people, new organization, and new training, to name a few. Also please note that the Fire Marshall does inspect the premises beforehand, but he also walks around the con the whole weekend and can at times be quite unreasonable (in my own humble opinion which in no way expresses the opinion of ACen or MAPS).

Here's the issue: it's not a perfect world. And sometimes, it's impossible to know if someone's not right for IRT until after they've worked a con. What's important is whether or not we step up to the plate, take these incidents and feedback seriously, and act on it. We will never be able to reduce the number of incidents to zero, especially when there are two of us for every 1300 or so of you. (We're also working on hiring more people, since you asked.)

In sum, no, we're not perfect. But we're a lot better than we were in 2008, and much better than we were in years before that. Please try to see and acknowledge our growth. Please give us the benefit of the doubt as we say we're working on it, because we are.
Eli "Rabbi" Morris-Heft: IRT Assistant Department Head
SecDiv Dispatch 2004, IRT Communications ADH 2005-06, IRT Dispatch Supervisor 2007-2010, IRT Dispatch Commander 2011, IRT ADH 2012-, IT Senior Sysadmin 2007-2011, ACen Clergy, 2004-

"Two-three the count with nobody on / He hit a high fly into the stands / Roundin' third, he was headed for home / It was a brown-eyed handsome man (that won the game) / It was a brown-eyed handsome man." (Brown-Eyed Handsome Man by Chuck Berry)

I <3 People Who <3 IRT!Want to help make IRT even better? Apply next year!

#43 User is offline   okaonos 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 25376

Posted 12 September 2009 - 12:39 PM

IRT is NOT security. They are incident response. There is indeed a difference.

IRT is volunteer and doesn't get paid, like the rest of staff.

IRT go through an interview and training process.

IRT isn't going to know everything about locations of events. It's not part of their job.

If you have a problem with IRT, report it. Feedback is taken seriously.
# of ACen's attended: 9
Hotel: Hyatt
Cosplay: Rukia (Bleach) - 100%

~Spam Squad~

#44 User is offline   Irish 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 15727

Posted 22 September 2009 - 02:39 AM

I'll take this one head on, since the person you're complaining about is none other than me.

1) The guests were perfectly able to leave their panel but being as they were there for their fans, they asked me and my partners if we wouldnt mind setting up a table so that they could appease their fans. As far as the riot that may have ensued if we didnt... what else is new. No fan group at ACen is happy when their time with their favorite anime-star is cut short. Its nothing that couldnt easily have been handled.

2) The grocery cart was only there because I got tired of constantly running over there to inform people that those doors were off-limits. I have no idea WHY they were off-limits, but thats what I was told so thats what I was going to enforce. Aside from that, theres a massive black curtain that covers that area which, to the majority of con goers, means "DO NOT GO BACK HERE - YOU WILL GET YELLED AT". I had figured that some moniker of common sense would have chimed in something to the effect of "oh, theres something blocking this door and some IRT guys standing over there... its probably here for a reason." Guess not. Also, we had no tape or I would have made a sign. The cart was all I could find oddly enough.

3) You honestly have no idea how much the Fire Marshall breaths down our necks for the dumbest things. I make it a point not to lie in any situation, and if it was the Fire Marshall that had sent word down from above not to use the doors, then thats why.

If you have a problem being lied to, thats fine and dandy. I didnt lie. If you thought I was being aggressive - well thats nice. Please understand that at that time, making sure nobody went through those doors and making sure the guests did what they wanted to do and then went where they needed to go was what I was told to do. You were attempting to go through doors that were already quarantined off by the con-dividers, with an admittedly confusing blockade but a blockade none the less, after I had already turned away a multitude of people and were directing the fans away from said door. You yourself werent exactly understanding with what I had said and, might I add, dont forget that communication is between two people. Youre just as much to blame for your own miscommunication since YOU were the one who felt I was being "snippy" and lied to - neither of which I was doing intentionally nor from the get go.

-Irish

Tunnel Rat Veteran

#45 User is offline   Riker 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 17316

Posted 02 October 2009 - 04:28 PM

Anon and Rabbi covered most of this, but there is one part I feel we should explain a little bit more:

c.) Selection. I've never been able to pinpoint a selection focus for the IRT volunteers, it seems arbitrary and random. It seems strange that I have to fill out an application to become a volunteer at my local animal shelter, but so far as I know I wouldn't have to for ACEN.... You never know which ones are going to be aggressive.

Why do you assume that you wouldn't have to fill out an application to volunteer with IRT? IRT is actually one of the most selective departments of ACen. (Off the top of my head I can't think of any others that require both a filled-out application and a job interview. Registration might, but I'm not sure.) We screen people for attitude, customer service training, stress management, and other factors, but we can't predict the future. So just like any job, you never know whether or not somebody is truly qualified for the position until you see them in action. IRT is a large department with a lot of turnover, so even though we try to be selective about who we hire, the situation dictates that we hire a lot of new people every year. Most of these new people have never worked for a con before, and some of them do not do well under the pressure, but most people that we hire perform well and return the next year as veterans.
Riker
Night Shift Dispatcher, IRT
Programmer and Network Tech, IT Dept.
Convention Committee Member, Operations Section

Property of SongstressLenne ♥

Orbis Arangiam Nostram Est

#46 User is offline   Jguy 

• Elite Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Elite
  • Member No.: 18261

Posted 12 November 2009 - 07:32 PM

I can vouch for the selective part of Riker's above post. I applied for IRT for this upcoming year, all the way back when the application opened. I am a green, newbie to staffing and such, this will be my first year. (Last year I did get accepted to IRT but that's a different story altogether). the application process takes a long time for IRT, not to mention the three meetings + the interview you're required to go to (I think it's 3 meetings), as well as the two optional newbie staff orientation gatherings.

There is A LOT about IRT and I, as well as a lot of other people, have an immense respect for the department, as they take 95% of the con-goers reactions, attitudes or other conducts. I would say almost all the rest goes to Reg, and the rest of that is divided up to the rest. As I believe Rabbi said, There are approximately 2 IRT members to every 1,300 congoers, so I think they deserve a little leniency. no, they're not 'professional' from a 'Security' standpoint, they're just an awesome team or family of people that's only mission is to provide a safe and enjoyable con experience for all.
Go ahead and stop by my website: My Site

jguy@jguy:~$ apt-get cookie
apt-get: cookie not found
jguy@jguy:~$ apt-get cake
apt-get: cake not found[/font][/center]

#47 User is offline   davebb 

• EMRT
  • PipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 11282

Posted 19 November 2009 - 12:03 PM

View Posttrunks_lover29, on Sep 11 2009, 10:43 AM, said:

First off, I would like to say that SongstressLenne was not a staff member at the time of the initial, as I remember she was a congoer at the time. I know this first hand since she was one of my patients on Saturday night around 11pm-12am (sunday).

Anyways, there are a number of other staff members that used to work IRT. I myself am one, though I was the EMRT subdepartment of IRT, until the official separation that happened for the 2009 ACen. But we have EMT's and we are all reachable via radio from IRT.

As mentioned before there are some people who just when they get in the large crowd just become overwhelmed, but they do catch on and learn the way to manage both the crowds and themselves. This year for Acen 2009 we had official training that was structured and formalized. Trust me I was a congoer in 2005,2006,2007, then after the 2007 fiasco I put in an application for IRT in 2008, was accepted since I am an EMT-B, then in 2009 was officially just EMRT. I've seen how the IRT has improved over the years and the only way to get better is make corrections to the problems.

Just like computer programs, you add more features to it (crowd population, additional programs), you will get bugs (problems) that occur. Then the programmers put out patches to fix the bugs (your feedback on specifics or general issues provides us with congoer feedback that management may not see).

-Dave
Medic 6 : ACen 2014 EMRT ConCenter Supervisor (serving since 2008)
Dave Bukowski -- NREMT-B
EMT-B / EMA
"ask not what ACen can do for you--ask what you can do for ACen"

#48 User is offline   manga1 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 53231

Posted 11 April 2010 - 01:10 AM

Well it cant be any worse then the cops at three rivers fest in fort wayne, they used to let people go though the park after the event was over, now on minute passed they form a line arm to arm and blow whisles in your ear and chase you out like animals being hearded you cant even walk though the park to get to the river to go get to your car and its boarderline sadistic. Or when I asked whats going on they think they can just talk down to me like a little kid, instead of saying the park is closing so we are securing the area he just said to me real upity parks closed now leave.

Or blowing whistles in peoples ear its rude we can get the message without haveing you follow us and blow it repeatedly in our ear.

#49 User is offline   Neko_master_Luna 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 28689

Posted 11 April 2010 - 08:35 AM

Having read this & having both good & bad IRT memories from just last year, is there any way to say, call IRT on IRT, if the situation was some thing dangerous? Granted I wouldn't call IRT on IRT just because a member was rude, witch really is the exstint of my bad memory of them, though if some one was physically threating a con attendee with out accord, then would we be able to call IRT on IRT, or should it just be RM police. I really am hoping that wont happen at all.
Currently writing a book.

#50 Guest_SongstressLenne_*

• Member No.:

Posted 11 April 2010 - 09:42 AM

View PostNeko_master_Luna, on Apr 11 2010, 09:35 AM, said:

Having read this & having both good & bad IRT memories from just last year, is there any way to say, call IRT on IRT, if the situation was some thing dangerous? Granted I wouldn't call IRT on IRT just because a member was rude, witch really is the exstint of my bad memory of them, though if some one was physically threating a con attendee with out accord, then would we be able to call IRT on IRT, or should it just be RM police. I really am hoping that wont happen at all.

In a situation like that you call someone else on IRT and they will grab someone of a higher rank to handle that.

No one should ever abuse their staff badge, it is a staffers job to help an attendee and perhaps calm down a situation and do what they can to fix a problem that someone might run into at the convention. If they do abuse their staff badge, are caught, they will be asked to not rejoin next year.

That goes for every department.

#51 User is offline   Neko_master_Luna 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 28689

Posted 11 April 2010 - 09:48 AM

Thanks, just wondering, not had any really bad IRT, just one that was rude & I can deal with that, also I understand the necessity of force in some cases with IRT, truly it is not an easy job.
Currently writing a book.

#52 User is offline   HellHawk 

• IRT
  • Pip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 15411

Posted 25 April 2010 - 02:04 AM

View PostNeko_master_Luna, on Apr 11 2010, 10:48 AM, said:

Thanks, just wondering, not had any really bad IRT, just one that was rude & I can deal with that, also I understand the necessity of force in some cases with IRT, truly it is not an easy job.

its not before i was "real IRT" i got to work with them and man its hard work but its also fun if you have your head right
Hel'HawkIRT
CallSign: Hel'Hawk

Yeah... I'm the type of guy that likes to chill and kick it.

Xbox Gamer tag: Dexy86

#53 User is offline   IRT_Guardian 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 29981

Posted 26 April 2010 - 01:27 PM

View PostSongstressLenne, on Apr 11 2010, 10:42 AM, said:

View PostNeko_master_Luna, on Apr 11 2010, 09:35 AM, said:

In a situation like that you call someone else on IRT and they will grab someone of a higher rank to handle that.
No one should ever abuse their staff badge, it is a staffers job to help an attendee and perhaps calm down a situation and do what they can to fix a problem that someone might run into at the convention. If they do abuse their staff badge, are caught, they will be asked to not rejoin next year.
That goes for every department.

As a mater of fact yes if an IRT operative is doing something they shouldn't ya you can call IRT on IRT. Speaking as this up coming years Day Shift Hotel Supervisor for IRT (and I believe that my higher ups will agree with me) yes if there is a problem with one of our operatives then I would love for you guys (the con-goers) to Please bring it to my attention (or the attention of another Supervisor, Shift commander, or DH) and the situation will be dealt with and then if the situation then requires the attention of the police then we will get them involved. The reason I ask that we do it this way is that it protects the Con-goers right of privacy and it protects the liability, the integrity, and the credibility of the Convention so that one persons action do not ruin a great and fun event for everyone.

View PostSongstressLenne, on Apr 11 2010, 10:42 AM, said:

"That goes for every department."

Day Shift Hotel Supervisor (2010)
CallSign: Guardian

#54 User is offline   TheRabbi 

• IRT ADH
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 26 April 2010 - 01:30 PM

You can also take your complaints to Customer Service, and they will help you find the right person in IRT (or wherever) to address those complaints to. That's what they're there for, after all!
SecDiv Dispatch 2004, IRT Communications ADH 2005-06, IRT Dispatch Supervisor 2007-2010, IRT Dispatch Commander 2011, IRT ADH 2012-, IT Senior Sysadmin 2007-2011, ACen Clergy, 2004-

"Two-three the count with nobody on / He hit a high fly into the stands / Roundin' third, he was headed for home / It was a brown-eyed handsome man (that won the game) / It was a brown-eyed handsome man." (Brown-Eyed Handsome Man by Chuck Berry)

#55 Guest_RedXIII_*

• Member No.:

Posted 29 April 2010 - 10:51 AM

Also remember to get the name on the tape of their vest (if they are wearing their vest it will be the black tag with bright orange writing) on upper left hand side of their vest. And/or the best description of them that you can get. That will really help us in the long run to figure out who was going against the rules of IRT and/or Safty procedures.

~Red XIII
Dispatch/IRT

#56 User is offline   antisocialist 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 18063

Posted 17 May 2010 - 04:12 PM

I generally do not have issues with IRT, and I WHOLLY respect that the people involved are stressed.

HOWEVER.

What is the vetting process/interview process for those involved in IRT? It seems like there are more than a few people who sign up for IRT and simply do so for the power that they believe that it affords them without keeping in mind that they will be up for HOURS on end and that they will deal with unpleasant people, and they need to still attempt to maintain some veneer of professionalism. They are often unequipped to deal with people or large group situations, and become hostile and arrogant at even the slightest thing or the simplest issue of a person just ASKING A QUESTION. I also feel that if a person continues to get complaints regarding rudeness and behavior, repeatedly, that they are terminated from further service with the IRT.

Also, insofar as them doing drug busts and arresting people with real weapons, that is another thing that concerns me greatly. That is not their job. Rosemont Police have a great deal of cops around the con at ALL HOURS, and yet IRT is entrusted to do thing that they shouldn't? That's scary and maddening. When more than a few IRT members already have no people skills, the last thing I would want is them handling someone who could blow their brains out and putting the entire con at risk.

This post has been edited by antisocialist: 17 May 2010 - 04:16 PM

anime central 2013
Gothic Aristocrat - 2 days.

#57 User is offline   TheRabbi 

• IRT ADH
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 17 May 2010 - 04:53 PM

View Postantisocialist, on May 17 2010, 05:12 PM, said:

I generally do not have issues with IRT, and I WHOLLY respect that the people involved are stressed.

HOWEVER.

What is the vetting process/interview process for those involved in IRT? It seems like there are more than a few people who sign up for IRT and simply do so for the power that they believe that it affords them without keeping in mind that they will be up for HOURS on end and that they will deal with unpleasant people, and they need to still attempt to maintain some veneer of professionalism. They are often unequipped to deal with people or large group situations, and become hostile and arrogant at even the slightest thing or the simplest issue of a person just ASKING A QUESTION. I also feel that if a person continues to get complaints regarding rudeness and behavior, repeatedly, that they are terminated from further service with the IRT.

Also, insofar as them doing drug busts and arresting people with real weapons, that is another thing that concerns me greatly. That is not their job. Rosemont Police have a great deal of cops around the con at ALL HOURS, and yet IRT is entrusted to do thing that they shouldn't? That's scary and maddening. When more than a few IRT members already have no people skills, the last thing I would want is them handling someone who could blow their brains out and putting the entire con at risk.

Let me just grab this one.

We interview every new member of IRT and try to prepare them for what they will encounter on shift. We do emphasize that, though the purpose of IRT is public safety, we must approach the job with a customer service perspective. The preparation and training could be (and is being) improved, and the attitude might need to be reiterated throughout the convention as stress levels run higher. IRT is a large staff, though - around 165 this year, and probably closer to 200 next - and it's hard to run training for them.

We do deal with complaints rather swiftly. This year, at con, we received several complaints about a few operatives and those ops were taken off duty as soon as the Department Head heard the complaint. If you take a look in the Gripes thread, though, you'll notice that barely anyone mentions a name or callsign. Though those names are on our badges (and you can ask to see our badges), we've made it even easier the past few years by having nametapes with our callsigns in bright orange letters. We want the feedback, and we want people to be able to tell us who isn't rising to meet the level of customer service we want to provide, and we're doing our best to make the information we need along with people's complaints available to you. (A tag with the callsign in big orange letters is trying pretty hard on our part not to have a bunch of anonymous IRT staffers, I'd think.) But if we don't know which ops are causing the problems, it's hard to separate out who needs more training or needs to be taken off duty from who is doing their job well.

On your second paragraph: We do not engage in drug busts or arrests besides citizen's arrest. We call Rosemont to help us when something of that nature comes along, always. No exceptions.

#58 User is offline   antisocialist 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 18063

Posted 17 May 2010 - 05:05 PM

View PostTheRabbi, on May 17 2010, 05:53 PM, said:

On your second paragraph: We do not engage in drug busts or arrests besides citizen's arrest. We call Rosemont to help us when something of that nature comes along, always. No exceptions.

That's good, because this little tidbit further upthread on the first page -

Actualy, IRT DOES meet with Rosemont police and DO have clearance to use physical force or detain people who comit a crime. They've been involved with drug busts, confescating REAL WEAPONS, and aresting child molesters, and other very dangerous situations. So I guess you can say within the peramiters of the convention, yes, they do have some very necasary authority.

- gives me some cause for concern.
anime central 2013
Gothic Aristocrat - 2 days.

#59 User is offline   TheRabbi 

• IRT ADH
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 17 May 2010 - 05:20 PM

View Postantisocialist, on May 17 2010, 06:05 PM, said:

That's good, because this little tidbit further upthread on the first page -

Actualy, IRT DOES meet with Rosemont police and DO have clearance to use physical force or detain people who comit a crime. They've been involved with drug busts, confescating REAL WEAPONS, and aresting child molesters, and other very dangerous situations. So I guess you can say within the peramiters of the convention, yes, they do have some very necasary authority.

- gives me some cause for concern.

We have the clearance provided to us by Illinois's citizen's arrest and self-defense laws, and the restrictions thereof placed upon us as well. (Illinois allows equal force to be used in the process of citizen's arrest and self-defense, including third-party self defense.) We do confiscate real weapons from time to time (what do you think live steel is?) and have worked with Rosemont to effect drug busts and other police actions. But we are never in the middle of it, only working alongside Rosemont to provide information and interface with the hotel and convention.

The laws, affordances, and restrictions of Illinois's relevant laws are explained and made available to every IRT staffer, and none of them should be ignorant of them. We know that training and information download are our weakest points, however, and we work every year to make those preparations work better.

#60 User is offline   XenoBlade 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 9384

Posted 17 May 2010 - 05:32 PM

I know this isn't the thread for it, but I might be interested in trying to staff for I.R.T. next year. (Or thinking about it at least) I have many many years of dealing with customers and having a level head dealing with usual customer outbursts. So I'm thinking if I should try to do I.R.T. next year.
ACen 2013 Cosplays
Dragon Ball Z-Piccolo
Zero Escape 2: Virtue's Last Reward-Sigma
3rd cosplay:Either Zoro(One Piece),Sazh(Final Fantasy XIII), or Gintoki(Gintama).
"Sometimes I do suspect, I'm an actor in a well scripted live divine comedy..."-Shing02

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users