Anime Central Forums: First Time At Acen. And Most Likely The Last. - Anime Central Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

First Time At Acen. And Most Likely The Last.

#1 User is offline   dreamastermind 

• Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 18459

Posted 19 May 2008 - 12:48 AM

My friend who I'll call Zant (because he was cosplaying as Zant) has been telling me to go to ACEN for years. Never been to an anime convention before, thought it would be fun. This year I had a chance to check it out, though I must say it was a bit last minute. Zant got a hotel down there, but I just had time for 1 day which was on Saturday. I took with me 2 other friends as well that never went before. I met Zant at the photo shoot at 11:00am. We talked for a bit and I took some pictures for him. Went inside at about 11:50pm to get the registration badges and holy frick. What a line.

It wasn't till about half way in did we realize just how long it was too. So we stuck it out the whole way through. I had nothing to do while in line. Just stuck next to someone who smelled like they haven't bathed before. It took 6 hours to get through that line. 6 Hours! I've never waited in line that long for anything. Not even close to that long. Felt so sick afterwards. But finally we got through. My first stop was the game room to see if there were any Smash Bros Brawl tournaments or whatever. But no... I missed those by a whole day. In fact, I wonder if it would have even been possible to enter that tournament if I got there yesterday after hearing about some other peoples experiences.

That right off the bat pissed me off. If the line didn't put me over the edge as it was. "Alright fine, I'll just go buy some stuff at the shops" I wanted some DVD's, plushies, wall scrolls, and anything else interesting that would catch my eye. I walk over there and they say, "Sorry, were closed" Are you kidding me!! Yeah, it's 6pm and apparently they close at that time. I would never have guessed cause I walked past there just 10 minutes earlier and there must have been a few thousand people in there.

So what's left? No game tournaments I want to enter, no shopping, just a masquerade ball thats for cosplayers which had another long frick'n line. Well, that was it... we just left. Completely disgusted and horrified with what just happened to us that day. We couldn't believe it. We drove 1 hour to wait in line for 6 hours to each pay 30 bucks to go home. Unbelievable! It had to storm on the way home also just to make things even more miserable.

There is 1 positive thing I can say about that day, which is all the awesome cosplayers. I've never seen anything like that... I actually felt like a weirdo for not wearing a costume. And I bet that masquerade ball would have been cool, but I didn't have a costume for it.

And you know what? Earlier today when I took the badges out of my car I noticed mine was different than my 2 buddies. They gave me a full badge! I specifically told the lady I only wanted a badge for Saturday.. in fact she asked me twice too. I'm hopping it's just a mistake, but I swear if they charge me for the full badge that's the last straw. What a surprise for me to discover that. Boy will I be mad when my credit card bill comes if that's the case.

Definitely the second worse day of my life. Doesn't beat out my friend's funeral when I also got an allergic reaction. But pretty damn bad.

#2 User is offline   Tsukari 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 10942

Posted 19 May 2008 - 07:03 AM

Just one note: The Masquerade is not for cosplayers only.. It's more of a show, not a ball. There's a stage, where two types of entries (Walk-on: Just walk onto the stage and show off your costume, maybe pose a couple times, and Skit: Group of people doing a short comical skit.) entertain you. It's really worth going to. I totally understand how you feel, I was in that wonderful Friday registration line and really wanted to do some of Friday's events. I figured that being there at 3pm would get me out of reg-line at around 6, still giving me plenty of time to go out and do some of Friday's events. As it was I was lucky to get to Anime Hell on time (thank god they were running late.)

I'm sorry that you had a bad experience... (Seriously, closing dealer's room at 6pm on Saturday? WTF?!) I can't tell you whether to give it another try or not. I can honestly say after going to ACen for 4 years running, it's only gotten worse every year. Sure, there are bright spots that get better, but so many things just get worse: No Consuite, reg-lines getting worse every year, event lines getting worse every year (Despite what many people are saying, I think ticketing was a wonderful idea and I hope they continue to do it. If you're not willing to crack open your program and find out how things work on issues like tickets, you have no grounds on which to stand when you start bitching), IRT more and more overbearing (In their defense, it's almost required to keep that many people in line, especially since many seem set on being assholes or feel that they're owed something by the con so they deserve to be dicks), and more people crammed into the same space.

#3 User is offline   Spydie 

• Registration Staff
  • PipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 4073

Posted 19 May 2008 - 08:02 AM

I'm sorry you had to wait so long! I think the ACEN nightlife is better than the daytime programming! You should have stayed for the Masquerade and the Soap Bubble! They're both tons of fun!
I am made of awesome: pure, unfiltered awesome.

#4 User is offline   sentinel28a 

• Mad Irishman
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 1435

Posted 19 May 2008 - 08:47 AM

To be honest, I really think ACen has a whole needs to be experienced for the whole three days (or four, in my case, since I like getting there a day early). One day just isn't enough, even if you don't have to lose half the time in the reg line.

Dreamastermind, I hope you'll give the con one more shot. The important thing is to get there early. Line or not, you're going to miss a lot if you're getting there at noon and leaving at 7 PM. Moreover, branch out a bit. It sounds like you skipped completely over the viewing rooms, the panels, and various other things ACen has to offer. Next year, you might want to consider maybe staying overnight--though if you're going to do so, I suggest maybe going to a cheaper motel rather than the Hyatt, which is terribly expensive.

The exhibitor hall closing at 6 PM I can understand. These people want to enjoy the con too. They work from 7 AM (or earlier, for setup) until 6 in a hot, occasionally nasty environment. I think they deserve a chance to go eat, relax, and recharge for the next day, as well as have access to all the fun evening stuff.

The reg line--there I'm with you 100%. Another instance of that and I might consider skipping ACen for GenCon myself.

Ben Da Mad Irishman
"I hope not"
See my art. Love it. Hug it. http://sentinel28a.d...art.com/gallery
Read my fanfiction. NOW. You'll thank me later.
First Place, Yahoo ACen League, 2006
First Place, NFL.com Otaku Amefuto League, 2012

Those who stand for nothing will fall for anything.
BEAR CAV!

#5 User is offline   davebb 

• EMRT
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 11282

Posted 19 May 2008 - 08:59 AM

There is a lot of programming within the hotel too, not just the tournaments and video game playing. You might want to give it a try. I've been a congoer for 3 years previous. Waited in a line on the saturday of 2005, for like 2-3 hours, but in the end was able to enjoy a lot of the con later on by just staying late thru the evening til a little past midnight, (at that time just had to get my younger brother home). Then in 2006-2007 I learned about picking up the badges on thursday so I decided to get a hotel room for all those days, and it allowed thursday to just hang out and meet and greet people, and get some pictures done.

In regards to the IRT issues, there is a pro/con section I think in the thread that Wedge started for last year, and has resurfaced it this year. IRT heads do read this, as if there is no complaints or comments from congoers on was good or bad, they don't know what they did right or wrong other than what they have seen. So if there is a specific IRT Op that you had issues with bring it up with their supervisors either on a PM or on the thread. In my opinion you also have to consider what IRT has to deal with. I'm playing defense here because I'm part of it by being in the EMRT part. My partner and I had many calls, mostly in the reg line in the convention center because of the long waits. IRT is there to help you, but imagine if you were the one who was being yelled at or had other negative emotions to you, it does affect your own emotions and your stress level and may not even realize that you are losing your temper. Granted they should still be professional even though we are all volunteers, we all try to help to the best of our ability. In short, please be respectful of them, even if they are an A**h*** to you. If thats the case, they have a Orange on Black nametag. Make note of this and look for a supervisor or bring it up on the forums, and it will be investigated accordingly.

I do hope the person that both you and the previous poster do decide to attend next year. I've still enjoyed it despite any negative factors. Remember you are dealing with volunteers on staff. This was my first year being on staff and even though it was a lot of work I had a blast. I always made sure to put the right foot forward when talking with congoers and if anyone needed assistance I would help to the best of my ability or direct them to someone else who had a better chance of answering, unless of course I was heading to a medical emergency and I'm sorry for those who I had to run away from when I did get called to a situation.

Just remember, before you start talking about negative things about someone, place yourself in their shoes, and the same environment. One thing I've learned from in the past while being in line is learn to talk to people, socialize. Heck I made a good friend who lives in Alabama and I live in IL just from sitting in the line. True long waits due to technical issues are not very fun. But when you make a complaint, be more specific and at the same time offer suggestions. You may have offered something that hasn't been thought of before. Feedback is really the only way to improve things that don't run smoothly.
Plan --> Implement --> Observe --> make modifications --> (return to) implement...

Ok before I continue to rant on this topic, be patient and if there are issues bring them up, but do come back to see if any of the feedback was used.

-Medic 6

View PostTsukari, on May 19 2008, 08:03 AM, said:

Just one note: The Masquerade is not for cosplayers only.. It's more of a show, not a ball. There's a stage, where two types of entries (Walk-on: Just walk onto the stage and show off your costume, maybe pose a couple times, and Skit: Group of people doing a short comical skit.) entertain you. It's really worth going to. I totally understand how you feel, I was in that wonderful Friday registration line and really wanted to do some of Friday's events. I figured that being there at 3pm would get me out of reg-line at around 6, still giving me plenty of time to go out and do some of Friday's events. As it was I was lucky to get to Anime Hell on time (thank god they were running late.)

I'm sorry that you had a bad experience... (Seriously, closing dealer's room at 6pm on Saturday? WTF?!) I can't tell you whether to give it another try or not. I can honestly say after going to ACen for 4 years running, it's only gotten worse every year. Sure, there are bright spots that get better, but so many things just get worse: No Consuite, reg-lines getting worse every year, event lines getting worse every year (Despite what many people are saying, I think ticketing was a wonderful idea and I hope they continue to do it. If you're not willing to crack open your program and find out how things work on issues like tickets, you have no grounds on which to stand when you start bitching), IRT more and more overbearing (In their defense, it's almost required to keep that many people in line, especially since many seem set on being assholes or feel that they're owed something by the con so they deserve to be dicks), and more people crammed into the same space.

Medic 6 : ACen 2014 EMRT ConCenter Supervisor (serving since 2008)
Dave Bukowski -- NREMT-B
EMT-B / EMA
"ask not what ACen can do for you--ask what you can do for ACen"

#6 User is offline   dreamastermind 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 18459

Posted 19 May 2008 - 12:13 PM

I mostly went to enter some tournaments I never get to play in and buy some stuff I never get a chance to buy. When I lost both of those I didn't really know what else to stay for. Not that there weren't reasons. Last thing I wanted to do was play DDR in the game room or dance at a rave since I was already standing all day. I felt doomed to disaster. Both Friday and Saturday the website was down so I couldn't even look up events or times for anything. Had to just hope for the best and see what's there when I get there.

I did the same thing for Gencon (Game Convention and first convention I ever attended which was last year) except I stayed 3 days. Still, got my badge on Thursday in just 5 minutes.

Seriously though.... I'm still amazed about the cosplayers. At Gencon there were just a couple here or there... but at ACEN it was almost everyone! So many people I wish I got to take my picture with, but after that was too sick and tired to do anything.

And honestly.... after talking with my friend Zant for a while, I'm actually considering going next year just because of that. It sounds like a blast to have a costume and talk with all the other people with costumes and stuff. I'm very busy though so we'll see. It's difficult to plan multiple conventions in a summer and I already had Gencon planned for a while. All I can say is, we'll see.

#7 User is offline   LolipopGestapo 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 4652

Posted 19 May 2008 - 02:06 PM

The line isn't usually that bad. The system got hacked this year.

And the dealer's room is hard work. It's stuffy and loud and those people are there all day. There's a lot more going on on Saturday than shopping and the masquerade. I didn't do either saturday and I had a lot of fun.

There's panels, soap bubble, hanging out. Actually, I had more fun meeting people than any organized event.

Yeah, the lines sucked but you left at 6 when saturday fun goes well into sunday morning.
Rawr.

#8 User is offline   Cabbitboy 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 18558

Posted 19 May 2008 - 02:50 PM

View Postdreamastermind, on May 19 2008, 01:48 AM, said:

My friend who I'll call Zant (because he was cosplaying as Zant) has been telling me to go to ACEN for years. Never been to an anime convention before, thought it would be fun. This year I had a chance to check it out, though I must say it was a bit last minute. Zant got a hotel down there, but I just had time for 1 day which was on Saturday. I took with me 2 other friends as well that never went before. I met Zant at the photo shoot at 11:00am. We talked for a bit and I took some pictures for him. Went inside at about 11:50pm to get the registration badges and holy frick. What a line.

It wasn't till about half way in did we realize just how long it was too. So we stuck it out the whole way through. I had nothing to do while in line. Just stuck next to someone who smelled like they haven't bathed before. It took 6 hours to get through that line. 6 Hours! I've never waited in line that long for anything. Not even close to that long. Felt so sick afterwards. But finally we got through. My first stop was the game room to see if there were any Smash Bros Brawl tournaments or whatever. But no... I missed those by a whole day. In fact, I wonder if it would have even been possible to enter that tournament if I got there yesterday after hearing about some other peoples experiences.

That right off the bat pissed me off. If the line didn't put me over the edge as it was. "Alright fine, I'll just go buy some stuff at the shops" I wanted some DVD's, plushies, wall scrolls, and anything else interesting that would catch my eye. I walk over there and they say, "Sorry, were closed" Are you kidding me!! Yeah, it's 6pm and apparently they close at that time. I would never have guessed cause I walked past there just 10 minutes earlier and there must have been a few thousand people in there.

So what's left? No game tournaments I want to enter, no shopping, just a masquerade ball thats for cosplayers which had another long frick'n line. Well, that was it... we just left. Completely disgusted and horrified with what just happened to us that day. We couldn't believe it. We drove 1 hour to wait in line for 6 hours to each pay 30 bucks to go home. Unbelievable! It had to storm on the way home also just to make things even more miserable.

There is 1 positive thing I can say about that day, which is all the awesome cosplayers. I've never seen anything like that... I actually felt like a weirdo for not wearing a costume. And I bet that masquerade ball would have been cool, but I didn't have a costume for it.

And you know what? Earlier today when I took the badges out of my car I noticed mine was different than my 2 buddies. They gave me a full badge! I specifically told the lady I only wanted a badge for Saturday.. in fact she asked me twice too. I'm hopping it's just a mistake, but I swear if they charge me for the full badge that's the last straw. What a surprise for me to discover that. Boy will I be mad when my credit card bill comes if that's the case.

Definitely the second worse day of my life. Doesn't beat out my friend's funeral when I also got an allergic reaction. But pretty damn bad.

I'm thinking what they did in giving you a Full badge was to charge you the single day price but allow you to have accessed the con on Sunday since by your accounting of events you'd cleared the line by 6PM or so.
As to the 6PM closing time, that's pretty much been a standard closing time for the dealers hall for most cons I've attended going back to the late 80's with maybe Duckon back in the Lisle Hyatt days when they had a dealers floor where the dealers sold out of their rooms.

#9 User is offline   Lordi 

• Registration Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 1745

Posted 19 May 2008 - 06:01 PM

A few reg staffers were unofficially upgrading people to a full badge B/C of all the trouble that they went through.

Just to clarify, there's a Masq event and a Masq ball. The ball is a formal event that we charge extra for - all the proceeds are donated to the Children's hospital. The masq. event is basically where people can get up on stage and show off their cosplay, and get judged on it if they want.

Both are Acen traditions, and worth the time to check out.

Also, Acen runs for 24 hours from opening ceremonies until closing ceremonies. there's ALWAYS something to do.

Give it another shot next year.
Leader of the Plushie Eaters Alliance (PEA)!

#10 User is offline   Kasin 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 13139

Posted 19 May 2008 - 06:16 PM

i actually would think long line might be good. it means more people are coming and that means more money for ACEN. which in turn could mean a bigger location, more guest, and programming/videogames, and with bigger space comes smaller lines
Anime: hell girl, & trigun. Manga: Soul eater. / Games: Dragon Age, DCUO, batman, & soulsilver.i'm a rini fan boypokemon friend code: 2836 0346 5412 battle anytime, need to get my gold/silver code. wii code: 0061 4530 7677 7629. XBL: hitherkasin & PSN ID: kasin13in 2011 i will be cosplaying as gene starwind & kouga, also w/ my daughter we will do pokemon trainer red/ash & eevee/pikachu. in 2012 we will do hit girl & big daddy, also mini moon & tuxedo mask. in 2013 we will do wizardmon & kari with a gatomon plushie (ty teko!) also mystic gohan & pan. I will also do green ranger some day.

#11 User is offline   HeartNana 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 9833

Posted 19 May 2008 - 10:27 PM

View PostKasin, on May 20 2008, 09:16 AM, said:

i actually would think long line might be good. it means more people are coming and that means more money for ACEN. which in turn could mean a bigger location, more guest, and programming/videogames, and with bigger space comes smaller lines

No, it means registration isn't prepared for that many people, and needs a more efficient system, since this is NOT the first year that there's been ridiculous crap happening with reg and other stuff. A 6 hour wait for a badge is seriously unacceptable. Anything more than 1-2 hours imo is unacceptable as well.

#12 User is offline   Moogle_21 

• Sales Section Chief
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Section Chief
  • Member No.: 2191

Posted 19 May 2008 - 11:42 PM

ACEN was not prepared for 420chan to hack their servers and live up to their threats to attempt to shut down the convention and piss off most of the con goers. Don't get me wrong, I agree that 10 hours in line is unacceptable and I'm sure most of the staff (in my opinion and what I've read) think that it's unacceptable too.
Senior Manager of Sales
Anime Central 2011 - 2012

#13 User is offline   JediNight 

• Panel Programming ADH
  • PipPip
  • Group: Assistant Department Head
  • Member No.: 6971

Posted 19 May 2008 - 11:49 PM

View PostMoogle_21, on May 20 2008, 05:42 AM, said:

ACEN was not prepared for 420chan to hack their servers and live up to their threats to attempt to shut down the convention and piss off most of the con goers. Don't get me wrong, I agree that 10 hours in line is unacceptable and I'm sure most of the staff (in my opinion and what I've read) think that it's unacceptable too.

I'd almost say they should put a freeze on badge entries to the database a few days before the con and do a complete backup to an offline on-site server at the convention to avoid any possible tampering like that in the future. But I don't know how feasible that is for them. I do know that they did a lot of hard work redoing the entire reg database from scratch over the past year.

#14 User is offline   Kasin 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 20 May 2008 - 11:59 AM

View PostHeartNana, on May 19 2008, 11:27 PM, said:

No, it means registration isn't prepared for that many people, and needs a more efficient system, since this is NOT the first year that there's been ridiculous crap happening with reg and other stuff. A 6 hour wait for a badge is seriously unacceptable. Anything more than 1-2 hours imo is unacceptable as well.

wait so since they were not prepared for a random hacker to go in there systems and crash every thing it means it's there fault? idk thats kinda crazy, because people say that, but you really wouldn't think it would happen at a con. i mean they've been doing it for years and this is a first. now with registration they did have issues last year but i heard it was fixed. it's not acen more so the hackers this year. no one really know if the system was any better or not due to the hackers

i mean i wouldn't think a hacker would try to crash a cons systems, who does that?...besides 420chan
Anime: hell girl, & trigun. Manga: Soul eater. / Games: Dragon Age, DCUO, batman, & soulsilver.i'm a rini fan boypokemon friend code: 2836 0346 5412 battle anytime, need to get my gold/silver code. wii code: 0061 4530 7677 7629. XBL: hitherkasin & PSN ID: kasin13in 2011 i will be cosplaying as gene starwind & kouga, also w/ my daughter we will do pokemon trainer red/ash & eevee/pikachu. in 2012 we will do hit girl & big daddy, also mini moon & tuxedo mask. in 2013 we will do wizardmon & kari with a gatomon plushie (ty teko!) also mystic gohan & pan. I will also do green ranger some day.

#15 User is offline   gregly 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 478

Post icon  Posted 20 May 2008 - 12:14 PM

View PostKasin, on May 20 2008, 05:59 PM, said:

wait so since they were not prepared for a random hacker to go in there systems and crash every thing it means it's there fault? idk thats kinda crazy, because people say that, but you really wouldn't think it would happen at a con. i mean they've been doing it for years and this is a first. now with registration they did have issues last year but i heard it was fixed. it's not acen more so the hackers this year. no one really know if the system was any better or not due to the hackers

i mean i wouldn't think a hacker would try to crash a cons systems, who does that?...besides 420chan

I'd just like to clear up that no hack occurred -- it was a DDoS attack. See http://www.acen.org/...showtopic=23369 for details.
Former Production Staff Member (3 years, 2003-2005)
Artists' Alley Husband And Table Lackey (2006, 2008-2009)

#16 User is offline   Kasin 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 20 May 2008 - 01:01 PM

hmmm, why the heck did those staff people keep posting a hacker

#17 User is offline   gregly 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 478

Posted 20 May 2008 - 01:14 PM

View PostKasin, on May 20 2008, 07:01 PM, said:

hmmm, why the heck did those staff people keep posting a hacker

Probably just confusion among staff members as well, or misunderstanding of the technical terms involved. Hacking implies that somebody gained illicit access to the servers, which never happened -- instead there were just thousands of requests slamming the servers. Whether it was some social rejects just out for the "lulz", or somebody with a personal grudge against the convention/staff/etc., or a combination of both, nobody knows...
Former Production Staff Member (3 years, 2003-2005)
Artists' Alley Husband And Table Lackey (2006, 2008-2009)

#18 User is offline   Kasin 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 20 May 2008 - 01:57 PM

thats sucky

#19 User is offline   davebb 

• EMRT
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 11282

Posted 20 May 2008 - 02:08 PM

I wouldnt refer to them as hackers as much as script kiddies. Unless they truely did hack into the other system using skills instead of using some script with a known exploit to take over the machine. I know a bit about hacking since hey I have to for my job since I do network security for my place of employment. Its technology and anything written by a human can be broken by a human because it is full of faults.
Medic 6 : ACen 2014 EMRT ConCenter Supervisor (serving since 2008)
Dave Bukowski -- NREMT-B
EMT-B / EMA
"ask not what ACen can do for you--ask what you can do for ACen"

#20 User is offline   yashaface 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 17330

Posted 20 May 2008 - 08:40 PM

I would like to add that a lot of GenCon staff are PAID... whereas all Anime Central staff are volunteers. Despite all the problems that came up unexpectedly, I do think our Registration staff handled things well.

The best improvement this year was the mailed badges, and I suspect (and hope) that many more con-goers will choose this option next year, hopefully relieving the at-con wait for 2009.
* yasha * � Production ADH � Anime Central 2008

#21 User is offline   HeartNana 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 9833

Posted 21 May 2008 - 02:08 AM

View PostKasin, on May 21 2008, 02:59 AM, said:

wait so since they were not prepared for a random hacker to go in there systems and crash every thing it means it's there fault?

The 8 hour line was for people who were at-con registering. Worst comes to worst, ask them for 50 bucks, give them a badge and forget the whole "computer" thing.

Oh wait they did that. However, there were only like, 4 staffers because so many staffers got screwed out of rooms that they were promised and they didn't have badges. No rooms and no badges = why the hell would they want to staff?

Acen should have treated their staffers better, maybe more would have actually taken it seriously and showed up and did the work to get the lines moving faster.

So to answer your question simply, yes, it is their fault.

#22 User is offline   Aerix 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 4664

Posted 21 May 2008 - 03:03 AM

The line was horrible, we got there around 6-7 ish, and were in the main line and had to wait for 9 before going in, then we had the filter lines, luckily one of my friends and I had pre-reged so we didn't have to wait too much longer after that.. BUT my other friend.... 10 1/2 hours overall... He must have the patience of a god. Though.. he was playing Disgaea on my psp so i can see where most of his attention went until the battery died.

Well....

Next year, if you so choose to go again. I have a few tips that might enhance you experience.

I 'dub' it:

Aerix's Top 10 Guide To A Better Acen Experience (though really the same could be said about most conventions)
(no particular order of importance)

1. Pre-Register - ask your parent or legal guardian to help you register online EARLY, a good early is as soon as registration becomes available. IF you register early enough you even get your badge for LESS money. What a deal!

2. Get your Badge Mailed - If you order before a certain date, and you choose this option, your badge can get mailed to you, this means no lines, let me repeat NO LINES.

3. Plan Ahead - Planning ahead is a great idea. You can check on the website what guests will be appearing, what panels will be held, when tournaments will take place, etc. You can form out a schedule for yourself ahead of time.

4. Reserve a hotel room - The 3 day experience is awesome, but if you choose to go through with it... unless you live within a good distance from the convention center, a hotel room is a must. Make sure you reserve one large enough, so there is enough room for your friends to sprawl out on the floor.

5. Food - If you do go 3 days you are going to need food, the establishments in the hotel and convention center are fairly and overly expensive. But if you look it up there is a McDonalds down the street (walkable, and can you say DOLLAR MENU?) and a denny's (driveable) and if you got a hotel room you can have pizza delivered.

6. Communication - If you have a cellphone or walkie talkie bring it, if you wanna go one place and your friend wants to go to another you are going to want to get inconctact to meet up afterwards!

7. Cosplay - It is not a must, but it is a large experience enhancer. What a feeling you get when your costume is praised and you get your picture taken! When choosing a cosplay, it is often common to choose a character you like, not bad. But to better represent a character, try choosing a character that you already look like(hair, face, body build, gender). This saves on the need of wigs, and already brings you how much closer to your character. If you are starting off, and are new to cosplay, a simple costume is suggested. However you are free to do whatever you want(as long as it follows the rules/law).

8. Friends - Invite them. Anime Conventions are awesome, but they're even more awesome when sharing the experience with your friends. Also if your friends also are interested or do cosplay, you may all go as a group of characters form a single sorce and could even sign up and do a skit on stage.

9. Money - Conventions are not all about shopping, in fact the only required fee is for your badge, you could bring your own food. But if you plan to hit the dealer's room, ya got to have money. There is no perfect suggested amount, but $100 sounds safe for a light amount of purchases and $300 for an average amount of purchases. So save up when you know you are going, you'll never know what kind of awesome things await.

10. Have fun - Yup that is it, you are going to an anime convention to have fun right? So do it!

(maybe i should make this into it's own thread.. but where to post it?)
C-O-S-P-L-A-Y~!
Cosplay, why?
Because I....GOTTA~!

#23 User is offline   MissMandyLynne 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 19249

Posted 16 December 2008 - 11:13 PM

oh trust me - i got there at about 7:30am and had to wait a good 7+ hours in line - it almost made me not want to go back - but once i got out of line i had so much fun that ive decided to go again - only this time ive pre-ordered my badge - got a hotel for all three days - and im going with more friends - so my advice is to give it another try - just pre-register this time - its cheaper and a lot less hassle

This post has been edited by MissMandyLynne: 17 December 2008 - 02:00 AM

Purple Kitty Ears = UChi-Con 2009!
Gothic Lolita = ACen 2009!
Gothic Lolita + Saint Une = Ikasucon 2009!

Aim: MoonlitMagic92

http://www.myspace.com/darth_cuddles

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=vrdSbdDOYLE

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users