Anime Central Forums: Acen Schedule: Complete As Of 05/10/08 - Anime Central Forums

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Acen Schedule: Complete As Of 05/10/08 In high demand

#31 User is offline   Illia Sadri 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 3428

Posted 11 May 2008 - 07:12 PM

This was something I believe was part of special events so you would need to ask William English on that one.
Lynn Hunt
Anime Central 2010 Guest Relations/Programming Liaison and Acquisitions
Anime Central 2009 Guest Relations/Programming Liaison, ADH Guest Relations Operations
Anime Central 2004-2008 Panel Programming Assistant Department Head

#32 User is offline   angrypata 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Purge for Inactivity
  • Member No.: 10308

Posted 12 May 2008 - 01:05 AM

"How to pick up a Japanese guy/girl"?

Wow, that's incredibly racist. I'm surprised you let that one pass. Is there a special yellow-fever access code they're going to share or something?
Thanks to Time Mage, we did Super-Job! This is the way!

psst, i'm over here

#33 User is offline   Master Aniki 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 16764

Posted 12 May 2008 - 01:30 AM

View Postangrypata, on May 12 2008, 03:05 AM, said:

Wow, that's incredibly racist. I'm surprised you let that one pass. Is there a special yellow-fever access code they're going to share or something?

xD; Personally speaking, I thought it was incredibly inappropriate. I mean, it would be different if it was something more like 'How to pick up a guy/girl at a con' or something. Still desperate sounding, but less racist, probably. I mean, I'm not asian, but like ^^;; it makes it sound like Asian people are objects that you can just... go and pick up and show off because you managed to snag one. It just seems... ridiculous. I don't know how Panel Programming would not have caught this as being like... a big sign begging for people to get pissed off and offended.

It even offends me, as someone who isn't asian, since you know... apparently we're not as good as asians, seeing as how we must be easier to pick up. Nobody needs to run a panel on how to pick up a 'white boy/girl'. I just think this panel is generally insulting. It's offensive to everyone.

Anyways, I was also incredibly surprised that a panel like this got passed. Hopefully the whole panel is a joke and not actually serious.

However, I get the feeling that this is wishful thinking. At least they didn't get like... a really amazing time slot. Because that would have just been a kick in the face.
Ly(ndsay)

AWOL Panelists 2010 Team Leader
No! Stop! It Feels Good!- A Hentai Panel (18+)
Yuri: Doing It the Right Way (18+)
Yaoi From Top to Bottom(18+)
Shoujo-ai: Girl Love Without the Sticky Mess(16+)

#34 User is offline   Komurin II 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 16688

Posted 12 May 2008 - 01:31 AM

View Postangrypata, on May 12 2008, 03:05 AM, said:

I completely share this sentiment. I'm really glad I'm not the only one. When I saw it on the schedule, my jaw almost hit the floor. Being Asian myself, I was incredibly offended. Way to generalize an entire group of people based on the color of our skin. That entire mentality rubs me the wrong way. I do not appreciate being viewed as a commodity and I'm sure no other Asian-Americans out there like it either.

I'll save everyone the trip of going to this panel: When you look at me, I want you to see me and not the slant of my eyes.

#35 User is offline   Kasin 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 13139

Posted 12 May 2008 - 01:42 AM

View PostMaster Aniki, on May 12 2008, 02:30 AM, said:

xD; Personally speaking, I thought it was incredibly inappropriate. I mean, it would be different if it was something more like 'How to pick up a guy/girl at a con' or something. Still desperate sounding, but less racist, probably.

Anyways, I was also incredibly surprised that a panel like this got passed. Hopefully the whole panel is a joke and not actually serious.

However, I get the feeling that this is wishful thinking. At least they didn't get like... a really amazing time slot. Because that would have just been a kick in the face.

View PostKomurin II, on May 12 2008, 02:31 AM, said:

I completely share this sentiment. I'm really glad I'm not the only one. When I saw it on the schedule, my jaw almost hit the floor. Being Asian myself, I was incredibly offended. Way to generalize an entire group of people based on the color of our skin. That entire mentality rubs me the wrong way. I do not appreciate being viewed as a commodity and I'm sure no other Asian-Americans out there like it either.

I'll save everyone the trip of going to this panel: When you look at me, I want you to see me and not the slant of my eyes.

same, i'm not asian, i'm hispanic, but i was shock. it couldn't be about that.
Anime: hell girl, & trigun. Manga: Soul eater. / Games: Dragon Age, DCUO, batman, & soulsilver.i'm a rini fan boypokemon friend code: 2836 0346 5412 battle anytime, need to get my gold/silver code. wii code: 0061 4530 7677 7629. XBL: hitherkasin & PSN ID: kasin13in 2011 i will be cosplaying as gene starwind & kouga, also w/ my daughter we will do pokemon trainer red/ash & eevee/pikachu. in 2012 we will do hit girl & big daddy, also mini moon & tuxedo mask. in 2013 we will do wizardmon & kari with a gatomon plushie (ty teko!) also mystic gohan & pan. I will also do green ranger some day.

#36 User is offline   Amunet 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 4411

Posted 12 May 2008 - 02:13 AM

Well ... think about it guys. We're an anime convention. People that usually attend these are into Asian culture and would probably REALLY like someone from that culture but due to different cultural backgrounds (expecially since the asian culture is so different from western) it may be a tad hard for those that would like to.

Whether serious or not, don't take too much offense. And for those of you that want someone at con, they do have that dating thing going on.

Everyone is so paranoid about being politically correct x.x
♥ Amunet will move to Illinois! Coming Soon ♥
~ Captain of The Glomp Team ~
Official Thread of The Glomp Team ~ Click Here ~
わたしは クリス です。 ^_^

#37 User is offline   Kasin 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 12 May 2008 - 02:17 AM

speed dating was cancelled. but it's anime, not how to get with an asian girl, just seems weird.
Anime: hell girl, & trigun. Manga: Soul eater. / Games: Dragon Age, DCUO, batman, & soulsilver.i'm a rini fan boypokemon friend code: 2836 0346 5412 battle anytime, need to get my gold/silver code. wii code: 0061 4530 7677 7629. XBL: hitherkasin & PSN ID: kasin13in 2011 i will be cosplaying as gene starwind & kouga, also w/ my daughter we will do pokemon trainer red/ash & eevee/pikachu. in 2012 we will do hit girl & big daddy, also mini moon & tuxedo mask. in 2013 we will do wizardmon & kari with a gatomon plushie (ty teko!) also mystic gohan & pan. I will also do green ranger some day.

#38 User is offline   Master Aniki 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 16764

Posted 12 May 2008 - 02:21 AM

View PostAmunet, on May 12 2008, 04:13 AM, said:

Well ... think about it guys. We're an anime convention. People that usually attend these are into Asian culture and would probably REALLY like someone from that culture but due to different cultural backgrounds (expecially since the asian culture is so different from western) it may be a tad hard for those that would like to.

Whether serious or not, don't take too much offense. And for those of you that want someone at con, they do have that dating thing going on.

xD; Not even politically correct. The whole concept is just rude and inappropriate. We're at an anime convention, and even if you're 'into' asian culture and people, that doesn't make it okay to objectify them. If you were really into needing to get an 'asian' person, you'd actually go up to someone and talk to them about it. More than anything else, you're making them sound like an entirely different species or something. It's just ridiculous.

There's a difference between being politically correct, and just being outright offensive. Basically it sounds more racist than anything.
Ly(ndsay)

AWOL Panelists 2010 Team Leader
No! Stop! It Feels Good!- A Hentai Panel (18+)
Yuri: Doing It the Right Way (18+)
Yaoi From Top to Bottom(18+)
Shoujo-ai: Girl Love Without the Sticky Mess(16+)

#39 User is offline   Komurin II 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 16688

Posted 12 May 2008 - 02:27 AM

oO; But we're not that different! It's not like just because I grew up in a Chinese household, you need to go beg my father to date me or understand the nuances of compatibility based on the Chinese zodiac and blood types. Just treat me like a, you know, person. Unless this is a panel geared towards helping people intent on flying overseas to get a date, which I would find creepy and sad anyway, it's totally offensive to nearly everyone.

It just about implies that Asians are trophies almost or are different from normal people and it implies that everyone else who's not Asian isn't as interesting or attractive or viable as a potential partner.

It's just plain offensive.

#40 User is offline   Kasin 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 12 May 2008 - 02:28 AM

i think you should be with a girl...or guy, just for them. not because a panel told you how to get with them. wesley snipes has admitted to a thing for asian culture and hints hes marital arts and his asian wife, i was just talking abiut this at work. i think its crazy

#41 User is offline   `Aygen` 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 4646

Posted 12 May 2008 - 05:25 AM

View PostKomurin II, on May 12 2008, 02:31 AM, said:

Way to generalize an entire group of people based on the color of our skin.

Angry Pata, on May 12 2008, said:

Oh, so Japanese is now the name of a color?

日の出では、大麻が舞う そこでラム酒を1パイントを上げると別のガブ飲みする モルガン船長の呪いこの運命に導いている
ない恐れがあるので、ドントルックバック 来世を待って!

_,.=+-~'"`^*^`"'~-+=.,_,.=+-~'"`^*^`"'~-+=.,_
Wii Code - 3597 5584 7250 3042
Xbox Live Tag - Kohato

#42 User is offline   angrypata 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 12 May 2008 - 05:56 AM

Again, it's not about political correctness, it's about something being straight up offensive no matter how you cut it. Since when was it okay to choose partners based on race? That's about as appropriate as choosing only, oh, white people as job applicants. Or scholarship recipients. If this were a panel about "how to pick up a black girl/guy", the poopie would hit the fan.

Weeaboos have reached a new low if you think this is okay. I'm personally for having it removed. If not, I'm going, and things are going to get a little ugly. Don't people who are into Japanese culture get enough crap for idealizing another culture to the point of creepiness? This kind of proves the point.

psst, i'm over here

#43 User is offline   `Aygen` 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 4646

Posted 12 May 2008 - 07:08 AM

K, Pata, calm down. I get where you are coming from, but your argument is diving into meaningless drivel.

View Postangrypata, on May 12 2008, 06:56 AM, said:

Since when was it okay to choose partners based on race?

Actually since people started dating outside their culture, its called personal preference.

That's about as appropriate as choosing only, oh, white people as job applicants. Or scholarship recipients. If this were a panel about "how to pick up a black girl/guy", the poopie would hit the fan.

K, Now you are just being ignorant. While I agree the name could have been a little more tasteful, You are trying to compare racism to dating outside one's own culture.

Weeaboos have reached a new low if you think this is okay.

O.o ... Wow, Now who is being a complete jagoff. I find your use of the word Weeaboo to describe a person interested in the culture of the Orient quite offensive. Please change your wording or I'm gonna have a hissy fit.

I'm personally for having it removed. If not, I'm going, and things are going to get a little ugly.

Oh god forbid we make you angry by using a distasteful name for a panel at a convention, Oh lordy no!

Don't people who are into Japanese culture get enough crap for idealizing another culture to the point of creepiness? This kind of proves the point.

No, No it does not prove the point. I'm sorry you find it "creepy" that someone finds your culture more interesting than their own.

日の出では、大麻が舞う そこでラム酒を1パイントを上げると別のガブ飲みする モルガン船長の呪いこの運命に導いている
ない恐れがあるので、ドントルックバック 来世を待って!

Wii Code - 3597 5584 7250 3042
Xbox Live Tag - Kohato

#44 User is offline   Rena-Chan 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 4823

Posted 12 May 2008 - 07:26 AM

View Postangrypata, on May 12 2008, 11:56 AM, said:

Again, it's not about political correctness, it's about something being straight up offensive no matter how you cut it. Since when was it okay to choose partners based on race? That's about as appropriate as choosing only, oh, white people as job applicants. Or scholarship recipients. If this were a panel about "how to pick up a black girl/guy", the poopie would hit the fan.

Weeaboos have reached a new low if you think this is okay. I'm personally for having it removed. If not, I'm going, and things are going to get a little ugly. Don't people who are into Japanese culture get enough crap for idealizing another culture to the point of creepiness? This kind of proves the point.

Angrypata, I think I need you. I'm doing a panel on when fans go bad, which talks about how, sometimes, anime fans flat-out go beyond the levels of healthy. I would love it if you come. Crap, I'd even be interested in making you a panelist if you'd like.
Once the first blood is shed, there's no turning back. Loved ones can't be returned, actions can't be taken back, and no words can ever truly say 'sorry' enough. With a past drenched in blood and tomorrow obscured in a dark mist of uncertainty, I find it hard to set goals or make plans for my future--a future I'm not even sure I want to come. " - Weslyn Truce

Thanks for always making ACen so much fun, everyone!!! GOD BLESS!!!

#45 User is offline   ピケギンゴ 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 3093

Posted 12 May 2008 - 07:42 AM

To All Involved:

Please direct complaints via PM or elsewhere. This thread is for the schedule, scheduling issues, and letting you know that the schedule is available.

Thanks.
-Chris
Panel Programming ADH

#46 User is offline   akaikurama 

• Panel Programming Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 10043

Posted 12 May 2008 - 07:52 AM

View PostParalist Kiyoshi, on May 11 2008, 02:23 PM, said:

What does the color coding on the panel listings mean? The purple and yellow?

Can some one from panel programming answer this question it's in this thread....
http://www.acen.org/forums/index.php?showt...mp;#entry523303

I'm not compeltly sure about the color coding (you think I would know by now after ten years)
So I'm trying to direct it to someone that can answer it properly.
Thanks.
Remember...
Pics
Short but sweet!!

#47 User is offline   Hitman88 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 6226

Posted 12 May 2008 - 08:11 AM

View Postangrypata, on May 12 2008, 07:05 AM, said:

I don't see how that's racist.
~~~~Table Top Gaming Staff ACen2008~~~~

#48 User is offline   Bold&Delicious 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 7151

Posted 12 May 2008 - 08:20 AM

Um, the link to the schedule doesn't work anymore. :(

View PostHitman88, on May 12 2008, 09:11 AM, said:

I don't see how that's racist.

I agree.
It isn't racist, understand the definition before you use the word.
I do, however, think it is inappropriate because of singling one race out, but moreover, it's horribly stereotypical to anime-tards. Way to make yourself look like fools.
★★Looking for a panel badge. Lived in Japan. Fluent in Japanese. Useful for any language/culture aspects, translations, etc. Hip & trendy and quite svelte.★★

#49 User is offline   akaikurama 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 12 May 2008 - 08:23 AM

View PostBold&Delicious, on May 12 2008, 09:20 AM, said:

Um, the link to the schedule doesn't work anymore. :(

I agree.
It isn't racist, understand the definition before you use the word.
I do, however, think it is inappropriate because of singling one race out, but moreover, it's horribly stereotypical to anime-tards. Way to make yourself look like fools.

There is a pdf file on the main ACEN website now Clicky here:
http://www.acen.org/...p?categoryid=62
Remember...
Pics
Short but sweet!!

#50 User is offline   Aonele 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 11231

Posted 12 May 2008 - 08:35 AM

Let's just not turn this thread into a debate thread please... >_<

Anyway, I just have one question: did anyone see any panels related to Mahjong at all? I don't think I saw any and I did a serach in the .pdf file too with zero results..o_O It's odd how I remember seeing at least one mahjong panel at acen for all the previous years i've been at acen, but I don't see any this year when I actually know how to play it now..XD
---Cosplay List 2012---
Will not be attending ;-;

#51 User is offline   FlyingElf 

• Honorary Forum Therapist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 447

Posted 12 May 2008 - 08:36 AM

I don't see the AMV room listed in this year's schedule. Where would we find info on panels being held in there? Also, will the schedule for the AMV room be omitted from the program book again this year?
Armageddicon!!
Columbus, OH December 21-23, 2012
http://animepunch.org/armageddicon/

#52 User is offline   ピケギンゴ 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 12 May 2008 - 08:58 AM

View Postakaikurama, on May 12 2008, 02:23 PM, said:

There is a pdf file on the main ACEN website now Clicky here:
http://www.acen.org/...p?categoryid=62

Please note this schedule is a bit out of date, I will try to get the most up to date one up as soon as possible.

Aonele, I believe Barry runs that panel, but he also runs the Museum Exhibit "Game On." It is a touring exhibit, and chances are he is out of area this year.

FlyingElf, that is all up to AMV staff. But as you can see, the AMV contest blocks run in Main Programming throughout the weekend. I cannot give you information on if AMV has another permanent room or not this year, but I would assume so. If they do, it is up to AMV staff for announcing that information, not us.

Thanks.
-Chris
Panel Programming ADH

#53 User is offline   Ohki 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 8930

Posted 12 May 2008 - 09:05 AM

Not to bring in more debate, but I can see both sides of the Japanese dating panel issue, and really, it completely depends on how he panel is handled. If it talks about things like culutral differences and how not to make a jerk of yourself, and it could possibly even say what a lof of you all are saying; that Asians are people just like anyone else and should be treated normally, then it would be acceptable. If it goes with the way the name sounds and is just like "HOMGZ AZNS ARE HOT HERE'S HOW TO GET A HOT AZN!!!1"then that's just ridiculous.

Also, I do hope the printed schedule does have info on video programming and the AMV room. A lot of people don't have internet access while at the con and can't get on the website-forums to find things like that out.
South Korea likes breasts.
Ukraine has breasts.
She has them in spades.
If South Korea and Ukraine were to hook up...
Then South Korea would never have a shortage of breasts ever again.

#54 User is offline   akaikurama 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 12 May 2008 - 09:09 AM

View PostsPM, on May 12 2008, 09:58 AM, said:

Please note this schedule is a bit out of date, I will try to get the most up to date one up as soon as possible.

Thanks.

Ok thanks for the heads up I'll keep that in mind...
Remember...
Pics
Short but sweet!!

#55 User is offline   FlyingElf 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 12 May 2008 - 09:13 AM

View PostsPM, on May 12 2008, 10:58 AM, said:

Aonele, I believe Barry runs that panel, but he also runs the Museum Exhibit "Game On." It is a touring exhibit, and chances are he is out of area this year.

FlyingElf, that is all up to AMV staff. But as you can see, the AMV contest blocks run in Main Programming throughout the weekend. I cannot give you information on if AMV has another permanent room or not this year, but I would assume so. If they do, it is up to AMV staff for announcing that information, not us.

Thanks.

I was mostly curious about the panels running in the AMV room. I'm part of the staff running AMV wars hentai and I was curious what time we were on is all. Plus I was hoping we would be listed in the seperate program sheets handed out as it would help with our panel attendence. Our advertising was mostly done by word of mouth last year though and we still managed to pull a good crowd.

But yeah, I imagine they'll have their own room again this year as well. Thanks for the quick reply.
Armageddicon!!

#56 User is offline   ピケギンゴ 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 12 May 2008 - 09:30 AM

Flying elf, if you have the panel name, I will check on it for you. However, if you did not submit the panel to us via our submission form, it will not be printed in our schedule, nor will the schedule for your AMV room. You should speak with your DH about that.

Thanks.
-Chris
Panel Programming ADH

#57 User is offline   angrypata 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 12 May 2008 - 11:10 AM

View PostRena-Chan, on May 12 2008, 09:26 AM, said:

Angrypata, I think I need you. I'm doing a panel on when fans go bad, which talks about how, sometimes, anime fans flat-out go beyond the levels of healthy. I would love it if you come. Crap, I'd even be interested in making you a panelist if you'd like.

I'm down for that, either to come and throw in my two cents or help you out with the panel. I've been mucking around in this fandom for like, eight years and man, things are crazy now. I'll be at the Hyatt Thursday through Monday, so shoot me a PM if you want to discuss.

psst, i'm over here

#58 User is offline   FlyingElf 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 12 May 2008 - 11:41 AM

View PostsPM, on May 12 2008, 11:30 AM, said:

Flying elf, if you have the panel name, I will check on it for you. However, if you did not submit the panel to us via our submission form, it will not be printed in our schedule, nor will the schedule for your AMV room. You should speak with your DH about that.

Thanks.

Its not a big deal. I'm just disappointed that AMV room isn't making it in the program guide again this year. I know its not your fault, just hoping that it was a change that would be made. Thanks for your help.
Armageddicon!!

#59 User is offline   Epic_Fail_Guy 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 10869

Posted 12 May 2008 - 12:16 PM

A few things:

First, when you had the original "Final Schedule" up on the link posted originally in this thread it had the schedule as long as the "BIG LIST," as well as a raw export and issues category. The BIG List portion had information describing each panel, details on the guests included at each panel ect. Now that link is dead and the only link to the schedule is the PDF link on the main page. Is there anywhere the BIG list is posted, or will it be posted anywhere soon? I had saved that page as an html file, as well as printed it off, so its not much for me as my friends who I know would want to read up on the panels. Thanks

Second, my 2 cents on the whole "How to Date an Asian Guy/Girl" debate. IMO, it does seem a little racist. If it was a more general, "Understanding Asian Cultural Norms/Trends, Social Practices, and Dating Rituals," panel that might have been a little more PC, and less offensive. More than this though its just so d*mn weeaboo. Yes, I know this is ACen, a weeaboo fevering ground, but still, good lord. I'm sure Asian women (and men) aren't too happy when they have some pimply faced 17 yr old guy in a Naruto headband come up to them at school and say, "Hey, I saw you were Japanese, you must like anime right! I wish I was Asian, you guys understand anime and stuff. Want to go out some time? We can watch Inuyasha together and get some sushi," when in actuality the girl was born in the US, doesn't speak any foreign language but a few simple phrases in Japanese, hates seafood in general, and hasn't seen any anime, except Cowboy Bebop a few times when it was on AS, which she didn't even like.

Now, I'm sure the panel will try and push away from racist stereotypes (at least I hope to God it does), but still: the whole thing seems racist and incredibly weeaboo to me. IDK, I almost want to go just to see what happens. Will there be an angry mob of Asian con-goers protesting outside it, how weeaboo will the attendees be, will the panel be littered with racist overload, will Anon get wind of this and form an epic /b/lockade? Who can say? All seem reasonable.

#60 User is offline   ピケギンゴ 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 12 May 2008 - 12:33 PM

View PostEpic_Fail_Guy, on May 12 2008, 06:16 PM, said:

A few things:

First, when you had the original "Final Schedule" up on the link posted originally in this thread it had the schedule as long as the "BIG LIST," as well as a raw export and issues category. The BIG List portion had information describing each panel, details on the guests included at each panel ect. Now that link is dead and the only link to the schedule is the PDF link on the main page. Is there anywhere the BIG list is posted, or will it be posted anywhere soon? I had saved that page as an html file, as well as printed it off, so its not much for me as my friends who I know would want to read up on the panels. Thanks
(Snip)...

I have texted Lynn about the situation with the schedule. I can put something up if I have a copy, but I saw the html page on my phone and did not have a way to save it. If you want to send it my way, I will get it up.

Thanks.
-Chris
Panel Programming ADH

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users