• This topic is locked

FAQ: Not being able to post

#1 User is offline   Juri 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 4

Posted 25 January 2004 - 03:23 PM

I've been getting a lot of email from new users being unable to post. The vast majority of the time, it's because you haven't responded to the confirmation email.

Please be sure you put your real email address in when you register, because the system will email you to confirm that your address is valid. You will need to enter the confirmation code in the email in order to post. Do not worry - we will never sell your email address.

If your spam filter ate the email (which happens on occasion), then please check your junk mail folder. If it's not there, email an admin and the confirmation email will be resent.

The reason this system is in place is to keep trolls from signing up with fake accounts. It keeps our boards safe and spam-free. Thanks for your cooperation!

:heart:
Julie
2008-2009: Production ADH - Webmaster
2003-2005: Production DH
2002: Newsletter staff

o hay a deviantart account

#2 Guest_hypertransit_*

• Group: Guests*
  • Member No.:

Posted 25 July 2004 - 07:27 PM

This seems to be a reasonable place for my question/comment:

I can't post using Mozilla Firefox, which is my default browser. I can login and such with Firefox (I think there's a bit of a trouble being recognized even with the "Remember Me" box checked, but I'll have to make a few more visits here to be sure); however, I need to open IE in order to post. It's a bit of a hassle, and I was wondering if there was anyway to workaround this?

If anyone can give me any tips or tricks, I'd be grateful to hear it ^^;
Thanks!

#3 User is offline   Suki No Hikari 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Purge for Inactivity
  • Member No.: 2557

Posted 25 July 2004 - 07:46 PM

I have a good tip! Try downloading Netscape 7.1 as your default browser (if you can). It works perfectly with pretty much every site you visit (almost better than IE). I use it and it has pop-up blocking that comes automatically with the browser and it's completely free (you can download it off the site). They also give you your own free e-mail address... it's really nice! I'm totally SPAM FREE! :heart: So I recommend Netscape 7.1! If you want to download it, go to:

http://channels.nets...ers/default.jsp

The only problem is, however, is that sometimes it won't let you save images (it doesn't work for me, at least... it works for my neighbor though so it might just be my computer). But you can always just go back to using IE for saving and that kind of stuff so it's not that bad at all.

I give it a 9.9 out of 10! :D
DANGER: FALLING DUCKS.
If you want to stalk me, go HERE PLZ. I'm kind of, er. Always there. (Link fixed, rofl)

Poppin' up again on the forums for ACen '08. This year I've moved on from Johnny's Entertainment to KOREAN BOY BANDS, YEAH. Aren't you excited. Super Junior, SS501 and F.T. Island are the center of my fangirl world this year ♥ I'm so doing an asian boyband panel. Stop bangin' my head my eyes gone red.

#4 User is offline   Mandy-chan 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 55

Posted 25 July 2004 - 08:33 PM

I can post in Foxfire... I've never had a problem with it.
Current Favorite Anime: Read or Die

All-Time Favorite Anime: Fushigi Yuugi

I freely speak my mind whether you like it or not

#5 User is offline   Medieval 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 1174

Posted 26 July 2004 - 02:32 PM

:confused: :confused:

Which build version of firefox are you using?

I know 0.9.2 works fine.

:confused: :confused:
"In shadows we see that which we fear, we need only shine the light of reason upon ourselves to see them as shadows."

#6 User is offline   Frank 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 1

Posted 26 July 2004 - 03:41 PM

I too post regularly with 0.9.1 Firefox and it works just fine.

Some more specific information, like behavior or error messages would probably help me better understand what the problem with Firefox is.

#7 User is offline   LordSky 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 554

Posted 28 September 2004 - 02:22 AM

Running FireFox 1.0PR and it works fine for me. Double check to see if you have any sort of javascript action disabled. Otherwise, we'll need more info in order to help.
Assistant Director of Registration - Online/Offline Registrations
Anime Central 2005

#8 User is offline   sepirothorkain 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 3370

Posted 03 December 2004 - 08:15 AM

im sorry for useing a nother name but my main account was completely disabled...iand i cannot figure out why... if someone would please explain why i can no longer post under my main name, and or edit half of my user CP stuff....it would be help full...and if i did something to make the mods angry i would like to know what so i can appolgise. thanks.

#9 User is offline   evil-yoda 

• Registration
  • Pip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 4223

Posted 28 September 2005 - 05:11 PM

Frank said:

I too post regularly with 0.9.1 Firefox and it works just fine.  

Some more specific information, like behavior or error messages would probably help me better understand what the problem with Firefox is.

hey frank.sorry to disturb you but i was wondering if you knew any free webpage sites that let you build one for free.if not could you pass this message along to anyone who might know. thanks and let the dark side be with you.

evil-yoda
<span style='font-size:7pt;line-height:100%'>i am evil-yoda. i am the olin.</span>

#10 User is offline   unicornwalker 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 6722

Posted 08 April 2006 - 09:58 PM

Okay I have a question for you that is bizarre, I am able to post in other forums on this board but I’m not able to post in this forum: General Convention Items > ACen Discussions/Questions

In the lower left hand corner it says I have permission to post but when I hit the submit post button all I get is a blank page and when I try to refresh nothing happens, I even went back to the form to see if my thread had been posted and it hasn’t.

Out of curiosity, is there a limit to how long a post can be? Because the post I was going to make is quite lengthy and I’m not sure if that is the problume.

#11 User is offline   EvilTwin 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 3054

Posted 09 April 2006 - 12:43 PM

Try clearing your cashe in your web browser.

There is a limit, not sure exactly how long.
Peace,
Becky

#12 User is offline   Yuki_perv 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 11555

Post icon  Posted 21 May 2007 - 07:42 PM

YESSSSS!!! IT WORKED!!! THANK UUUU!!! :P now i can post!!YAAAY!!!

#13 User is offline   KnitChick 

• ACen Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 9629

Posted 23 May 2007 - 12:30 AM

I'm using Firefox version 2.0.0.3 and I have had no troubles. For those having problems, updating to the latest version of your software always helps!
Special Needs and Compliance staff for ACen! Come see us in the Hyatt Grand Boardroom!!
ACen 2015: Kumon Kaito (Kamen Rider Gaim), Ian Yorkland (Kyoryuger, Rowdy Roddy Piper
Wizard World 2015 (big maybe): Jemma Simmons
Youmacon 2015: Nightcrawler (tentative), Ian Yorkland

Member of Team GEEK for the Norridge/Harwood Heights Relay for Life! Please join us or donate!
Ninja on the Glomp Team! Member of the Crossplay Alliance! / My cosplay / My pictures! (Flickr)
Resident Ghostbusters, Doctor Who, Firefly, Quantum Leap, Transformers, Harry Potter, Highlander, Girl Genius, Super Sentai, Kamen Rider and Nerima Daikon Brothers obsessor!

#14 User is offline   piratechick91 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 20429

Posted 20 January 2009 - 04:28 PM

i was attempting to log into my account on the registration page but i keep getting an error saying to email tech support. i wasnt sure what the email for tech support was but i was supposed to email them this information

Error Type: 300 (Failed to connect to the database: Too many connections)
File: db.php
Line: 67

i figured this was just as good.

#15 User is offline   simonsaz3 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 8785

Posted 03 March 2010 - 08:13 PM

I recently updated to Firefox 3.6, and here's the issue I'm encountering: the little text blinker in a reply box won't show up so it's difficult to figure out where I will type. This happens when I attempt replying to someone's message directly or when I click the "Add Reply" button at the bottom. I'm not certain if this is something about which Mozilla must be notified, but perhaps someone here knows something. I know all was well with Firefox 3.5. Any insight, guys?
=?
~Saaema
deviantART || Cosplays
=D
**Need help making something? Check this guide for tutorials!**

Hubby: '07: Elite Beat Agent ||
'08: Makoto Shishio ||'09: Cobra Commander ||'10: Golbez ||'11: Cats ||'12: Makoto Shishio
Me: '07: Cloaked Zelda ||'08: Myself =P ||'09: Queen Rutela ||'10: Fi (Skyward Sword) ||'11: Tali'Zorah ||'12: ??

#16 User is offline   obakasan 

• Exhibit Space ADH
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Assistant Department Head
  • Member No.: 2555

Posted 04 March 2010 - 10:29 AM

View Postsimonsaz3, on Mar 3 2010, 08:13 PM, said:

I recently updated to Firefox 3.6, and here's the issue I'm encountering: the little text blinker in a reply box won't show up so it's difficult to figure out where I will type. This happens when I attempt replying to someone's message directly or when I click the "Add Reply" button at the bottom. I'm not certain if this is something about which Mozilla must be notified, but perhaps someone here knows something. I know all was well with Firefox 3.5. Any insight, guys?
=?

I just got the latest update for my Firefox 3.6 (which I am using right now). I *do* get the text insert cursor (vertical line) but I do need to click in the text box before it will appear. I tested using both Fast Reply and regular Quote Reply options. If OS makes a dif I'm on my XP system at the moment. I don't see anything in the FF Tools menus that cover text options. I'm also set to "Western ISO Character Encoding" (which I think is default) in the View menu if that make a dif. Too many options...
This space intentionally left blank.

#17 User is offline   simonsaz3 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 March 2010 - 11:34 AM

View Postobakasan, on Mar 4 2010, 10:29 AM, said:

I just got the latest update for my Firefox 3.6 (which I am using right now). I *do* get the text insert cursor (vertical line) but I do need to click in the text box before it will appear. I tested using both Fast Reply and regular Quote Reply options. If OS makes a dif I'm on my XP system at the moment. I don't see anything in the FF Tools menus that cover text options. I'm also set to "Western ISO Character Encoding" (which I think is default) in the View menu if that make a dif. Too many options...

I'm using Opera 10.1 right now and it works beautifully, but I know that Opera 10.5 caused some reply issues with a bunch of extra line breakers in quoted text. So looks like there are a lot of factors, but I saw no difference on Win7 or XP or the character encoding either. I also have no idea if it's an add-on causing issues... .
=/
~Saaema
deviantART || Cosplays
=D

'08: Makoto Shishio ||'09: Cobra Commander ||'10: Golbez ||'11: Cats ||'12: Makoto Shishio
Me: '07: Cloaked Zelda ||'08: Myself =P ||'09: Queen Rutela ||'10: Fi (Skyward Sword) ||'11: Tali'Zorah ||'12: ??

#18 User is offline   Jguy 

• Elite Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Elite
  • Member No.: 18261

Posted 04 March 2010 - 02:48 PM

I know for a fact that my Firefox (albeit 3.5 on Ubuntu) has a similar issue with some text boxes but not others.

IE8 is even worse, even in "compatibility mode" Sometimes the page scrolls up to put the text that you're typing at the very bottom of the page, so when you carriage return, you can't see what your typing. Annoying.
Go ahead and stop by my website: My Site

jguy@jguy:~$ apt-get cookie
apt-get: cookie not found
jguy@jguy:~$ apt-get cake
apt-get: cake not found[/font][/center]

#19 User is offline   simonsaz3 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 March 2010 - 02:51 PM

View PostJguy, on Mar 4 2010, 02:48 PM, said:

I know for a fact that my Firefox (albeit 3.5 on Ubuntu) has a similar issue with some text boxes but not others.

IE8 is even worse, even in "compatibility mode" Sometimes the page scrolls up to put the text that you're typing at the very bottom of the page, so when you carriage return, you can't see what your typing. Annoying.

Yeah, IE8 has failed on me numerous times when it comes to posting on the boards. Definitely annoying.
~Saaema
deviantART || Cosplays
=D

#20 User is offline   obakasan 

• Exhibit Space ADH
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 2555

Posted 04 March 2010 - 04:47 PM

Will have to test with IE8. I quit using it and when to Firefox after a recent "update/bug fix" download where it then started going into crash "not responding" mode pretty much constantly. It's possible an update since then has fixed the fix... but I haven't tried it here yet. I use IE8 a lot on my Vista system, but haven't tried posting on the forums with it. There were no "update" problems with the Vista system, only my XP system.
This space intentionally left blank.

#21 User is offline   simonsaz3 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 March 2010 - 03:52 PM

View Postobakasan, on Mar 4 2010, 04:47 PM, said:

Will have to test with IE8. I quit using it and when to Firefox after a recent "update/bug fix" download where it then started going into crash "not responding" mode pretty much constantly. It's possible an update since then has fixed the fix... but I haven't tried it here yet. I use IE8 a lot on my Vista system, but haven't tried posting on the forums with it. There were no "update" problems with the Vista system, only my XP system.

Using Firefox 3.5.8 on XP right now, and it's so functional. IE8 seems to be ok here too.
~Saaema
deviantART || Cosplays
=D

#22 User is offline   simonsaz3 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 25 March 2010 - 09:36 PM

Using Firefox 3.6.2 on Win7 right now and still not able to post, but you gotta love add-ons like Coral IE Tab that make life easier. Finally I can see the little text blinker!
~Saaema
deviantART || Cosplays
=D

#23 User is offline   redx1 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 20031

Posted 25 March 2010 - 10:05 PM

View Postsimonsaz3, on Mar 25 2010, 10:36 PM, said:

Using Firefox 3.6.2 on Win7 right now and still not able to post, but you gotta love add-ons like Coral IE Tab that make life easier. Finally I can see the little text blinker!

Posting with Firefox 3.6.2 Win7 x64 right now. It must be a local problem with your machine.
~~

#24 User is offline   Voltaire30 

• Exhibit Space DH
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Department Head
  • Member No.: 8053

Posted 26 March 2010 - 10:46 AM

This has also been happening to me in a way.
I type a wall of information for the forums, and click post, and nada. It takes me to the front page of the forums.
I am not saying it makes me want to quit visiting the forums, but it defiantly keeps me from wanting to post anything longer than 10 sentences.
I write longer entries in Word, then copy paste it into my post, just in case the forums decide to hate me that day.

BTW: I have used every web browser under the sun, deleted cookies, and even tried using https instead, and no changes.
Just was wondering if I was the only one going crazy...
Exhibit Space Department Manager 2009, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, & 15
Exhibit Space Assistant Manager 2007 & 08

If you have any Questions, Comments, and/or Concerns, Feel Free to Contact us by using one of the emails below.
ArtistAlley@ACen.org - ArtShow@ACen.org - ExhibitHall@ACen.org - ExhibitSpace@ACen.org

Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance & Promotes Premium Productivity
"The optimistic way to look at your own art, performance, or results when someone tells you that you're not good enough, is to think that there's still room to improve. When you believe your artwork, performance, or results are perfect, it's the end of your career."

#25 User is offline   simonsaz3 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 26 March 2010 - 11:11 AM

View Postredx1, on Mar 25 2010, 11:05 PM, said:

Posting with Firefox 3.6.2 Win7 x64 right now. It must be a local problem with your machine.

How can it be a local problem with my machine if it's happened on more than a single PC and three different locations? I suggested earlier that it could be Mozilla, or perhaps I'm missing an add-on or something, because Firefox 3.5.8 works amazingly.

This post has been edited by simonsaz3: 26 March 2010 - 11:39 AM

~Saaema
deviantART || Cosplays
=D

#26 User is offline   TheRabbi 

• IRT ADH
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 591

Posted 26 March 2010 - 12:51 PM

View PostVoltaire30, on Mar 26 2010, 11:46 AM, said:

This has also been happening to me in a way.
I type a wall of information for the forums, and click post, and nada. It takes me to the front page of the forums.
I am not saying it makes me want to quit visiting the forums, but it defiantly keeps me from wanting to post anything longer than 10 sentences.
I write longer entries in Word, then copy paste it into my post, just in case the forums decide to hate me that day.

BTW: I have used every web browser under the sun, deleted cookies, and even tried using https instead, and no changes.
Just was wondering if I was the only one going crazy...

I will say I've never had this happen to me, but it is a scary thought. I'm not sure what's going on here and I'll poke around a bit. To tell you the truth, though, it's not likely I'm going to be able to find anything. Can I ask you to be patient until mid-to-late June, when we're doing a complete forums upgrade and this issue should go away entirely?

View Postsimonsaz3, on Mar 26 2010, 12:11 PM, said:

How can it be a local problem with my machine if it's happened on more than a single PC and three different locations? I suggested earlier that it could be Mozilla, or perhaps I'm missing an add-on or something, because Firefox 3.5.8 works amazingly.

The cursor-disappearing-in-Firefox thing is something that's happened to me on a number of websites. Unfortunately it's a problem with Firefox and so there's not much I can do besides join the open source project and fix the bug myself - but I have other pressing projects and I don't know their codebase well enough to dive in on something like that. I'm glad 3.5.8 resolves the issue. Keep your browsers upgraded, people!
Eli "Rabbi" Morris-Heft
IRT Assistant Department Head
I <3 People Who <3 IRT!
Want to help make IRT even better? Apply next year!

#27 User is offline   simonsaz3 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 26 March 2010 - 01:02 PM

View PostTheRabbi, on Mar 26 2010, 01:51 PM, said:

The cursor-disappearing-in-Firefox thing is something that's happened to me on a number of websites. Unfortunately it's a problem with Firefox and so there's not much I can do besides join the open source project and fix the bug myself - but I have other pressing projects and I don't know their codebase well enough to dive in on something like that. I'm glad 3.5.8 resolves the issue. Keep your browsers upgraded, people!

Well, the issue is this: the text blinking cursor disappeared when I upgraded to 3.6.2 (although I used Coral IE tab to view the reply box and then things were fine), whereas things were just swell with Firefox 3.5.8.
=P
~Saaema
deviantART || Cosplays
=D

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users