Anime Central Forums: Question About Cosplay Props: Iron Skillet - Anime Central Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Question About Cosplay Props: Iron Skillet

#1 User is offline   lady_jewel 

• Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 17592

Posted 30 April 2008 - 10:01 PM

Ano... I'm going to be cosplaying a character that carries around an iron frying pan. I don't really expect to take it out from the bag on my back except for photos.

Is it okay if I have an actual iron frying pan, or should I try to see if I can scrounge up a plastic-ish one?

EDIT 5/5/2008: The one that I'm using is more like a wok than a skillet, so it's a LOT lighter and smaller than the one I was thinking of using... I still would like to know if it is okay to carry it around.

#2 User is offline   McWeen 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 9359

Posted 01 May 2008 - 05:56 AM

I find it really funny that a frying pan could be considered a dangerous prop. maybe they will put a piece of blue tape on it so security knows it isn't loaded.
I wish I had something clever to put here :-(

#3 User is offline   OneWing 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 3929

Posted 01 May 2008 - 07:32 AM

I think they define live metal as something sharp and swingable, in a nutshell. I mean how many people have metal gutter like material for shoulder guards and other stuff? This is a good question, I'm anxious to see the official decision on this.
I am "flowin' with life in a warrior type manner." || Forgive and forget. :) || Proud Member of the Shy Otaku Syndicate <3
Previous cosplay: '05: Cloud from FFVII:AC '07: Thu+Fri: Kakashi | Fri Masq Ball: Reno (FFVII:AC) | Sat: Cloud (FFVII:AC) | Sun: Uriel (Angel Sanctuary)
Cosplay for '08: Thurs: Casual Kenashi-Sama[/u] | Fri: Cloud FFVIIAC (surprise saved for '09) | Sat: Solid Snake + Z.O.E. box - MGS1 version FOR MASQ
Cosplay for '09: Locke - Final Fantasy VI || Vamp - MGS4 || Cosplay for '10: Kuja ;3
//Thank you so much to the people who like my cosplay, it means a lot - and glomps to the people who freaking knew my Z.O.E. box for Snake!\\
ACen 2008 Walk-Ons: My Solid Snake: http://www.acparadise.com/acp/vid/3737 || My wonderful friends as Malice Mizer (<3 Kami): http://www.acparadise.com/acp/vid/3718

#4 User is offline   Unka Josh 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 13162

Posted 01 May 2008 - 12:54 PM

View PostMcWeen, on May 1 2008, 06:56 AM, said:

I find it really funny that a frying pan could be considered a dangerous prop. maybe they will put a piece of blue tape on it so security knows it isn't loaded.

Well, with a skillet like the one I use, you could kill somebody by hitting them in the head, but it's a heavy chunk of cast iron. A lightweight aluminum model might be better, but this isn't my department, so don't quote me...

We did use one in a sketch at the masquerade one year, however. I think maybe it isn't against the rules?
There is a slight flaw in my character.

#5 User is offline   Aj-chan 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 6981

Posted 01 May 2008 - 02:01 PM

But isn't it true that you're allowed to use things in the masquerade that aren't normally allowed in the rest of the con areas?

#6 User is offline   Unka Josh 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 13162

Posted 01 May 2008 - 03:06 PM

That is true. For casual carrying, you'd want something lightweight, and the plastic would probably be a better choice.

Of course, I'm not the rules expert as far as this goes.
There is a slight flaw in my character.

#7 User is offline   darkprincegyu 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 11047

Posted 27 March 2009 - 03:22 PM

View Postlady_jewel, on Apr 30 2008, 11:01 PM, said:

Ano... I'm going to be cosplaying a character that carries around an iron frying pan. I don't really expect to take it out from the bag on my back except for photos.

Is it okay if I have an actual iron frying pan, or should I try to see if I can scrounge up a plastic-ish one?

EDIT 5/5/2008: The one that I'm using is more like a wok than a skillet, so it's a LOT lighter and smaller than the one I was thinking of using... I still would like to know if it is okay to carry it around.

Unfortunately a metal skillet would count as live steel. -___-;;
The pastic-ish one owuld be fine.

Sincerely,
Gyu Lee
IRT Dayshift Hotel Supervisor

#8 User is offline   Millions_Knives 

• Masquerade Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 8636

Posted 28 March 2009 - 12:50 AM

???
post over a year old
want to learn about cosplay materials? click here->my youtube cosplay tips and tricks<-click here

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users