• This topic is locked

Too Spicy Great new arcade game

#1 User is offline   Kankokujin 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 11262

Posted 29 April 2008 - 12:09 AM

The sad reality is, the arcades aren't as popular as they used to be so I wouldn't be surprised if not many people have played this game. I post this hoping that people will see why I this game just rocks. It's a rail shooter(Like House of the Dead, Time Crisis, etc.). You can play against another player as well as playing against the AI. It's very innovative because you have two foot pedals that allow to you to move left or right and then take cover and there are many ways to take a lot of damage; including headshots.
えっ?これが読める?すごい!
그럼, 이걸 읽을수있나?

#2 User is offline   EzERawk 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 17490

Posted 29 April 2008 - 08:49 AM

View PostKankokujin, on Apr 29 2008, 01:09 AM, said:

The sad reality is, the arcades aren't as popular as they used to be so I wouldn't be surprised if not many people have played this game. I post this hoping that people will see why I this game just rocks. It's a rail shooter(Like House of the Dead, Time Crisis, etc.). You can play against another player as well as playing against the AI. It's very innovative because you have two foot pedals that allow to you to move left or right and then take cover and there are many ways to take a lot of damage; including headshots.

I'm lazy. Any links to info and the game. It sounds interesting and I love rail shooters (at the arcade where I used to live they had Time Crisis one for like a quarter, and I'd always run through it once while I was there on like one or two coins cause it was so much fun.)

I do agree with you about arcades going down hill. Consoles pretty much killed them, but I do remember going and playing fighting games like Mortal Kombat 2, Killer Intinct, or Soul Caliber every weekend when they were popular. It's sad, but nowadays the only hook arcades have is interactivity such as DDR or other rythem based games, and those only garner a certain audience here (us.) In Japan they do much better, I even remember hearing about a card game that used and arcade machine.

Oh well, things always change and people are lazy. It's just easier these days to play someone online or grind on a MMO than to go interact with people at an arcade. Besides the fact playing at home is cheaper.
Acen 2011 = Hazama / 2010 = Black Reaper / 2009 = Ginko / 2008 = Commander Amarao / 2007 = Ramna Boytype
Xbox Tag = EzERawk / PSN = EzERawk / Wii Code = 8450-6258-6492-7122
Facebook / Twitter / Weekly Anime Review

#3 User is offline   FlyingElf 

• Honorary Forum Therapist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 447

Posted 29 April 2008 - 10:00 AM

Yeah theres only a couple arcades even still open around here. I haven't seen the game in the one I normally go to though. I wouldn't mind a link for more info about it though.
Armageddicon!!
Columbus, OH December 21-23, 2012
http://animepunch.org/armageddicon/

#4 User is offline   simonsaz3 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 8785

Posted 29 April 2008 - 10:04 AM

Just emulate them onto your pc... that's so fun.
=)
~Saaema
deviantART || Cosplays
=D
**Need help making something? Check this guide for tutorials!**

Hubby: '07: Elite Beat Agent ||
'08: Makoto Shishio ||'09: Cobra Commander ||'10: Golbez ||'11: Cats ||'12: Makoto Shishio
Me: '07: Cloaked Zelda ||'08: Myself =P ||'09: Queen Rutela ||'10: Fi (Skyward Sword) ||'11: Tali'Zorah ||'12: ??

#5 User is offline   FlyingElf 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 29 April 2008 - 10:11 AM

View Postsimonsaz3, on Apr 29 2008, 12:04 PM, said:

Just emulate them onto your pc... that's so fun.
=)

Its not the same. You can't play a light gun game on your PC...you can't play DDR on your PC...its just not the same...and even so with games like Soul Caliber...theres something about the joystick and the setup thats preferable to playing on your PC.
Armageddicon!!

#6 User is offline   simonsaz3 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 8785

Posted 29 April 2008 - 10:13 AM

View PostFlyingElf, on Apr 29 2008, 11:11 AM, said:

Its not the same. You can't play a light gun game on your PC...you can't play DDR on your PC...its just not the same...and even so with games like Soul Caliber...theres something about the joystick and the setup thats preferable to playing on your PC.

True, but a lot of arcade games can be emulated and even played with a joystick (obviously not DDR, which is sad).
=)
~Saaema
deviantART || Cosplays
=D
**Need help making something? Check this guide for tutorials!**

Hubby: '07: Elite Beat Agent ||
'08: Makoto Shishio ||'09: Cobra Commander ||'10: Golbez ||'11: Cats ||'12: Makoto Shishio
Me: '07: Cloaked Zelda ||'08: Myself =P ||'09: Queen Rutela ||'10: Fi (Skyward Sword) ||'11: Tali'Zorah ||'12: ??

#7 User is offline   EzERawk 

• Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 29 April 2008 - 02:50 PM

View Postsimonsaz3, on Apr 29 2008, 11:13 AM, said:

True, but a lot of arcade games can be emulated and even played with a joystick (obviously not DDR, which is sad).
=)

Ok, I have to raise and objection there. I've seen DDR on a computer, and it blew my mind. It was about 6 or so years ago, when I was in college. I heard about this people playing DDR in one of the rooms downstairs so I decided to check it out. They were running it off a computer and had every song for all the games at the time (I think this was around Max 1) and their pads were home made from store bought pads. It was incredible. They had it hooked up to a regular tv, and the pads were mostly carpet, so it was soft on your feet, and the arrow parts were recessed. Totally blew my mind.
Acen 2011 = Hazama / 2010 = Black Reaper / 2009 = Ginko / 2008 = Commander Amarao / 2007 = Ramna Boytype

#8 User is offline   FlyingElf 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 29 April 2008 - 03:32 PM

View PostEzERawk, on Apr 29 2008, 04:50 PM, said:

Ok, I have to raise and objection there. I've seen DDR on a computer, and it blew my mind. It was about 6 or so years ago, when I was in college. I heard about this people playing DDR in one of the rooms downstairs so I decided to check it out. They were running it off a computer and had every song for all the games at the time (I think this was around Max 1) and their pads were home made from store bought pads. It was incredible. They had it hooked up to a regular tv, and the pads were mostly carpet, so it was soft on your feet, and the arrow parts were recessed. Totally blew my mind.

Its called stepmania...

We've run a similiar setup in the lobby of ACen in the past. Also quite a few cons use this instead of renting a true DDR/ITG machine.

The key to the setup really is how nice are your pads. Crap pads don't cut it once you have people doing 9s to 13s
Armageddicon!!

#9 User is offline   Kankokujin 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 April 2008 - 10:58 PM

Here are some links. Here and here.

For those who live in Illinois, you can play it at Gameworks in Schaumburg. Against all the human players, so far I am undefeated and I want to start a fanbase so I suggest giving it a try. Hmm, an Acen meetup at Gameworks could be fun.
えっ?これが読める?すごい!
그럼, 이걸 읽을수있나?

#10 User is offline   june.h 

• Merchandise Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 387

Posted 30 April 2008 - 11:09 PM

2Spicy is fun but it's too much work for the average gamer, which I don't think is why it would do spectacular. It's catchy cheesy game and gets HARD, but again, there's just too much to do on the game with just your feet and shooting at the same time? I think the only person I'm good with is Minghua, probably because I'm so trigger happy and she's got the most ammo available =P

As for emulation, I'm sorry but most people are missing the point of why many programmers started emulation in the first place. Sure, most want to see if they can do it, for the challenge. However, the sole purpose of emulation is to preserve and relive games that are no longer in circulation or no longer sold by those companies, and thus hard or impossible to find.

Emulation was NEVER meant for piracy, which is what many PC emulator users use it for, especially if those that emulate choose to play those over the arcade original, it hurts the industry, and that's far from what developers like the MAME team built emulators for.

As for "emulators being more fun," I'm sorry but I prefer going to the arcade and playing against some random guy for a good match of Street Fighter or Tekken...or if you're cocky, beating the snot out of all the n00bs and watching their n00b faces when they lose. If you play music games, it's a lot about performance. You can't recreate spectators at home, unless your massive collection of dolls and GI Joe's are your best friends.

#11 User is offline   GiveUpTheGhost 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 3441

Posted 30 April 2008 - 11:11 PM

This is just hitting the states??

I had been playing in the local arcade for about a half year or more.
My barren plan to be a better man
Rots in abandoned fields
These idle hands inherit spoiled lands
As the hungry become the pigs
We reap (and) we sow
We mourn who we were
Love what we lost

#12 User is offline   FlyingElf 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 May 2008 - 07:03 AM

View PostBakaOrochi, on May 1 2008, 01:09 AM, said:

As for "emulators being more fun," I'm sorry but I prefer going to the arcade and playing against some random guy for a good match of Street Fighter or Tekken...or if you're cocky, beating the snot out of all the n00bs and watching their n00b faces when they lose. If you play music games, it's a lot about performance. You can't recreate spectators at home, unless your massive collection of dolls and GI Joe's are your best friends.

Do stuffed squirrel armies count?
Armageddicon!!

#13 User is offline   EzERawk 

• Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 01 May 2008 - 09:20 AM

View PostFlyingElf, on May 1 2008, 08:03 AM, said:

Do stuffed squirrel armies count?

I'd count them. As a matter of fact, I want to see a picture of that. I'd like to see you squirrel army do battle with my gf's penguin army. There will be cuteness...oh yes.

#14 User is offline   FlyingElf 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 May 2008 - 10:32 AM

View PostEzERawk, on May 1 2008, 11:20 AM, said:

I'd count them. As a matter of fact, I want to see a picture of that. I'd like to see you squirrel army do battle with my gf's penguin army. There will be cuteness...oh yes.

squirrels don't stand a chance against penguins...penguin army took out bear calvary even.
Armageddicon!!

#15 User is offline   EzERawk 

• Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 01 May 2008 - 12:30 PM

View PostFlyingElf, on May 1 2008, 11:32 AM, said:

squirrels don't stand a chance against penguins...penguin army took out bear calvary even.

Ok, that one went over my head.

If squirrels had the high ground on the battlefield I think they'd win. On the other hand, if the penguins had it there'd be a sliding massacre.

#16 User is offline   Kankokujin 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 May 2008 - 10:44 PM

View PostBakaOrochi, on May 1 2008, 12:09 AM, said:

2Spicy is fun but it's too much work for the average gamer, which I don't think is why it would do spectacular. It's catchy cheesy game and gets HARD, but again, there's just too much to do on the game with just your feet and shooting at the same time? I think the only person I'm good with is Minghua, probably because I'm so trigger happy and she's got the most ammo available =P

I'm sorry if I sound rude for saying this but: What!? Are you serious!? Too much work!? Are you kidding me!? What do you call, DDR, Guitar Hero, and the Wii system? That all involves more physical activity and they are loved for it. Besides, Charlie is the one who's got the bullets since he has the fully automatic submachine gun.
えっ?これが読める?すごい!
그럼, 이걸 읽을수있나?

#17 User is offline   june.h 

• Merchandise Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 387

Posted 04 May 2008 - 02:07 AM

GiveUpTheGhost: 2Spicy went on testing in the States about a year ago. Sega delays EVERYTHING in the States now, and half the time it doesn't even come out or goes limited release only (see: Initial D 4). I think the full release came out late fall of last year.

Kankokujin: Arcade and Console gaming are completely different. When someone has money in their hands, they're less likely to try to pick up a game and spend a few dollars to learn it unless something really draws them into it. When you have a console game, you've already invested the money in it, you might as well learn the game.

On top of that, think about how much MORE you have to worry about in 2Spicy. Left and Right, zoom in by shooting the same spot, IF you don't get it, double-tap to leap over, make sure your "shield" is not going to blow up on you, some stages have limited or interactive "shields" (see: bar, kicking tables over, sliding on the bar)...that's a WHOLE lot more work than, say, HotD: point and shoot. Time Crisis: step then point and shoot, release to hide.

I never liked automatics on arcade gun games. They're fun, but it's too easy to just spray-and-pray (and I generally tend to miss with those somehow) plus I could never ration my bullets out.

#18 User is offline   Kankokujin 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 May 2008 - 01:08 PM

It doesn't take much to learn it. Besides, back when arcades used to be popular, people took time to learn all the moves for fighting games which I personally think is harder to get used to. Not hard, but just harder.
えっ?これが読める?すごい!
그럼, 이걸 읽을수있나?

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users