• You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Cameras And Comcorders

#1 User is offline   WillPhanto1 

• Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 17119

Posted 28 April 2008 - 04:21 PM

Hi, I'm planning on bringing my camcorder to the con, and I just want to know if there's any rules I need to know about on such things.

#2 User is offline   Alkaren Hyralt 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 6130

Posted 28 April 2008 - 04:32 PM

You can't bring them in during the concerts is about the only rule I know.

edit: There are more that I wasn't thinking about, like below.
-Zac /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
ACen 2007 - Present - Forums Manager
ACen 2012 - Guest Relations Handlers DH
ACen 2010, 2011 - Guest Relations Operations ADH
ACen 2008, 2009 - Main Programming ADH
ACen 2006, 2007 - Main Programming Staff
Drunken Otaku Syndicate Member - "This is what happens when you give me vodka that tastes like water!"
Alcoholic Hunter X of the ROS Order
AIM: Alkaren Hyralt / Facebook: alkaren
Questions about forums registration or in general please e-mail us

#3 User is offline   Unka Josh 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 13162

Posted 28 April 2008 - 04:35 PM

Rule 1: DO NOT BRING THEM INTO THE VIDEO ROOMS.

Let me amend that:

DO NOT BRING THEM NEAR THE VIDEO ROOMS. Don't point 'em in the door, even. (Yes, somebody did try this one once.)

Don't bring them into any screening of anything.

The licensing agreements that we have with various companies do, in fact, require me to be a dick about it. In some cases, in so many words.

So, since, y'know, we want to be on good terms with the companies that bring these shows over... don't even try it.

There are other rules, too-- Don't go filming Japanese guests unless you know that they're cool with it, for example. And someone from another department may have other things to add to this.

But the video rooms? Don't. Just don't.
There is a slight flaw in my character.

#4 User is offline   JDM 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 18044

Posted 29 April 2008 - 03:44 AM

I was planing on bringing a video recorder, but what can I do with it during the concerts and in the video rooms? I plan on parking 1/2 mile away, so walking to my car all the time won't be fun. Will there be anyone collecting cameras, and keeping them safe during such events where camera's are prohibited.

#5 User is offline   Unka Josh 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 April 2008 - 03:53 AM

Well... I'll check into what we can do, but please do understand that we have to make sure that nobody records these events. It's in our assorted contracts.

#6 User is offline   Aj-chan 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 6981

Posted 29 April 2008 - 07:22 AM

View PostJDM, on Apr 29 2008, 04:44 AM, said:

I was planing on bringing a video recorder, but what can I do with it during the concerts and in the video rooms? I plan on parking 1/2 mile away, so walking to my car all the time won't be fun. Will there be anyone collecting cameras, and keeping them safe during such events where camera's are prohibited.

Whatever you do, don't leave it with some random cosplayer that offers to watch it for you. Later you will be like, "The kid dressed as Ed Elric has it..." and you'll never find it. :P

#7 User is offline   akaikurama 

• Panel Programming Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 10043

Posted 29 April 2008 - 08:03 AM

The other thing is if you have friends that are either parked closer than you or have a room, to ask if you can put your stuff ther till after the event your attending.
Remember...
Pics
Short but sweet!!

#8 User is offline   simonsaz3 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 8785

Posted 29 April 2008 - 08:24 AM

View PostAj-chan, on Apr 29 2008, 08:22 AM, said:

Whatever you do, don't leave it with some random cosplayer that offers to watch it for you. Later you will be like, "The kid dressed as Ed Elric has it..." and you'll never find it. :P

LoL, that'd be awful... and who knows where the kid cosplaying as Ed Elric came from.
=P
~Saaema
deviantART || Cosplays
=D
**Need help making something? Check this guide for tutorials!**

Hubby: '07: Elite Beat Agent ||
'08: Makoto Shishio ||'09: Cobra Commander ||'10: Golbez ||'11: Cats ||'12: Makoto Shishio
Me: '07: Cloaked Zelda ||'08: Myself =P ||'09: Queen Rutela ||'10: Fi (Skyward Sword) ||'11: Tali'Zorah ||'12: ??

#9 User is offline   WillPhanto1 

• Pip

Posted 01 May 2008 - 03:20 PM

Okay, when I go into a place that cameras are not allowed, can I just take it's battery out and put back into my camera bag?

#10 User is offline   Unka Josh 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 01 May 2008 - 04:29 PM

That should be all right. We do periodic sweeps of the rooms, of course, for various things, so if we see you remove the battery, we can work it out.

However, for anyone who has the option, we'd really prefer that you not bring your cameras into the video rooms at all.

And if you ever point your camera at anything in the video rooms, out you go!

#11 User is offline   WillPhanto1 

• Pip

Posted 02 May 2008 - 09:42 AM

Okay, so keep them locked away while in the concerts, video rooms, and with the Japanese guests. Okay, got it. I'd probably wouldn't even have taken my camcorder into something like a concert just fear of it getting damage. And I already figured that bootlegging would be against the rules.

#12 User is offline   Unka Josh 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 May 2008 - 12:21 PM

Yep! Keep those things in mind, and you'll find all sorts of amazing things to film at the convention. Have fun with it!

#13 User is offline   FayeMegan 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 5927

Posted 02 May 2008 - 10:58 PM

can i use mine during opening ceremonies?
I try to use my imagination, but reality is a b****
Acen 2010 cosplays:
Mario (Super Mario Brothers).
Wa-Lolita

#14 User is offline   youth 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 22

Posted 03 May 2008 - 08:20 PM

The no camera thing for is quite unfortunate for the those of us that will be commuting everyday using public transit for the con & whom want to attend those events. I think ACEN should just allow them in on the condition that if you're caught capturing the event you have to leave it. After all most ppl will already have a camera phone anyway.

I don't know why anyone would want to record anything in the video rooms though as it seems most of the material is out, soon to be released on DVD, or can be downloaded.
g'day
youth

#15 User is offline   Unka Josh 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 May 2008 - 09:10 PM

One word: Premieres.

Okay, another set of words: As I said before, I'm contractually obligated, as part of the screening arrangement, to not allow recording of the screening. Representatives of these companies often attend the conventions, too.

Camera phones are an issue, of course, but they're less of one in the video rooms, since I have yet to hear of one that can record two hours of footage. (Of course, if we catch anyone using one to record anything, out they go!)

Anyway, sorry, but no. We're sticking with the rules as stated above.

#16 User is offline   Alicorn 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 8346

Posted 03 May 2008 - 11:30 PM

Not everyone is as rule-abiding as you, unfortunately, and in a large room like the concerts, it would be hard to police. If you have friends who are staying in one of the hotels, or driving and parking somewhere, you can always ask to put your camera in their room or car during the event you want to see :) Or if one friend wants to do a certain camera-forbidden event and another doesn't, the camera can go with Friend #2.

#17 User is offline   tfcreate 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 115

Posted 04 May 2008 - 12:44 AM

View Postyouth, on May 3 2008, 09:20 PM, said:

The no camera thing for is quite unfortunate for the those of us that will be commuting everyday using public transit for the con & whom want to attend those events. I think ACEN should just allow them in on the condition that if you're caught capturing the event you have to leave it. After all most ppl will already have a camera phone anyway.

I don't know why anyone would want to record anything in the video rooms though as it seems most of the material is out, soon to be released on DVD, or can be downloaded.

It would be nice, to allow cameras but unfortunately the first thing that people do when they hear a rule is to look for a way around it. They only care about getting what they want, not respecting the wishes of the artists, talent, or the people that they work for.

I would like nothing more than to photograph another concert, but when I do so it will be by the rules of the venue. That means no photos.
There's a no mosh rule, a no cutting rule, but there are going to be those who are going to do it any way, and ruin it for everybody.
Thank the ones who think that the rules don't apply to them.
TFC
Decide on your masters, people, for you cannot serve both. Either be an anime con or be a 3-day frat party. (I'm Done with ACen.)
Those who can't be bothered with the little things can't be trusted with the big ones.... ~Larry Bell-Founder of the Bell Aircraft Co.
Any fool can learn from his own mistakes. The wise learn from the mistakes of others....~ Democritus
Posers worry about how they look when they take pictures, shooters worry about the how you look when they shoot.
ACen and cosplay photos
How I Spent ACen 04' Making these.....
(2012)
Next Photoshoot~ Anime Iowa

#18 User is offline   Cherry_Wolf 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 2860

Posted 04 May 2008 - 02:06 AM

To be honest, for the past two years, I've brought my camera in at big events, just had it either in my purse or beside my feet. I've never been questioned on it or anything.

I think as long as it's very obvious that you are not using it, it won't be a problem if you bring it wherever you go. Like if you bring your camcorder into a video room. Have it in it's bag and put it by your feet.
(but hey, that's just saying from my experience... it may be different this year)

But if you do have someone you can trust near, it would always be best if you leave it with them or in your room.
Possible 2015 Cosplays- TBA
Thursday-
Friday- Gon Freecs(HunterxHunter) - 0%
Saturday- Shimizu Kiyoko(Haikyuu!!) - 0%
Sunday-

#19 User is offline   WillPhanto1 

• Pip

Posted 04 May 2008 - 08:19 AM

Like I said, I'll just keep in my bag with the battery out when I go into camera restricted area. I just hope there's a sign somewhere to point them out. Not to mention, I'm staying at a different hotel a mile away, so putting it in my hotel would be frustrating. And I dont trust leaving things in my car while in Chicago.

#20 User is offline   shadablade 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 16752

Posted 06 May 2008 - 11:37 AM

Ok so I completely understand the video room policy, am a bit dissapointed about not being able to film the concerts, (and Ill abide by such as home is FAAAAR away and im not risking ejection lol) but what about panels / guest panels? (Specific to mind would be the Sonoda panel if there is one and the AMV contest) Are there policies / reasons against those? Im trying to determine weather or not it would even be worthwhile for me the take my camcorder if Im not going to be allowed to use it anywhere. Not being fussy or anything, but this is my first acen and I really would like to know. (and stay one the good side of the peeps in charge LoL)

#21 User is offline   Unka Josh 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 06 May 2008 - 12:01 PM

Ask the panelists? I don't imagine that there's one single rule for every panel.

#22 User is offline   youth 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 22

Posted 06 May 2008 - 03:23 PM

View Postshadablade, on May 6 2008, 12:37 PM, said:

Ok so I completely understand the video room policy, am a bit dissapointed about not being able to film the concerts, (and Ill abide by such as home is FAAAAR away and im not risking ejection lol) but what about panels / guest panels? (Specific to mind would be the Sonoda panel if there is one and the AMV contest) Are there policies / reasons against those? Im trying to determine weather or not it would even be worthwhile for me the take my camcorder if Im not going to be allowed to use it anywhere. Not being fussy or anything, but this is my first acen and I really would like to know. (and stay one the good side of the peeps in charge LoL)

Most professional concerts don't allow any type of recording so that should come as no surprise because they have management that want to control their image & prevent bootlegging (not to mention it would be annoying if everyone in the audience was holding up cameras).

Recording panels would be on a case by case basis & I believe most non guests panels would be ok. Don't count on JP voice actor or band panels since with either of these they'll likely also have management that again want to control their publicity. So a guest such as Kenichi Sonoda would probably be ok in that regard. This has just been my experience as a veteran con attendee.
g'day
youth

#23 User is offline   Harrison Bergeron 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 666

Posted 06 May 2008 - 05:18 PM

View PostUnka Josh, on May 3 2008, 10:10 PM, said:

One word: Premieres.

Okay, another set of words: As I said before, I'm contractually obligated, as part of the screening arrangement, to not allow recording of the screening. Representatives of these companies often attend the conventions, too.

Camera phones are an issue, of course, but they're less of one in the video rooms, since I have yet to hear of one that can record two hours of footage. (Of course, if we catch anyone using one to record anything, out they go!)

Anyway, sorry, but no. We're sticking with the rules as stated above.

I have another few words for you:

Copyright Infringement.

As was mentioned, we have agreements with our video providers and our music labels. They don't allow recording of their stuff except by their own people.

If you get caught recording any of our videos, you will be ejected from the event in question and we will watch while you erase your device's memory, or you will turn over the tape used. If you are caught recording any of our concerts, it will be as above and in addition, the music label may wish to levy other penalties, including fines for illegally recording their licensed music.

Video programming staff and IRT will be keeping an eye out for such violations.

Just saying...

B. Turner
Anime Central 2008
"Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur... goes a Latin proverb. The world wants to be deceived...So let it be deceived."
"If someone stands in the way of true justice, you simply walk up behind them and stab them in the heart."
Henri Ducard (Ras Al Ghul)- Batman Begins
"It is pleasant at times to play the madman..."
Seneca- Roman Dramatist, Philosopher, & Politician
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of nonviolence to cover impotence."
Mahatma Gandhi (1869 - 1948)
Nothing is true. All is permissible."
Hassan I Sabbah- Lord and leader of the Assassins Cult

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users