Anime Central Forums: Official Masquerade Ball 2008 Thread (update 04/08/08) - Anime Central Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Official Masquerade Ball 2008 Thread (update 04/08/08)

#1 User is offline   CardCaptor Will 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 1416

Posted 30 March 2008 - 06:10 PM

April 8th Update:

So far, I have 84 signups, and 5 payments that I have recieved last saturday (April 5th) and I will notify them shortly.

The dance will be Friday night. I have to confirm a dance instructor.

The charity will be Children's Memorial Hospital

Thank you for your paitience.

-Will

---------

Hello all.

I thought I would make one thread for the Masquerade Ball, so I know where to look to answer questions.

Let me say first of all that I cannot access the forums in any reasonable timely fashion. Therefore, if you feel a response is slow here on the forums, the faster way would be to send an email to specialevents@acen.org. I will try to respond within 48 hours of an email.

I'm going to list some concerns that were brought to my attention from various attendees here.

>Room was too small / people were turned away / why does it say 250 people on the website?

I was made aware of this concern last year. I knew that I would need a larger room for the attendees this year. The number posted on the website was an oversight by me and the webmistress. As I've stated before, I do not plan on turning anyone away and I do anticipate more than 250 people showing up. Pre-registering on the website http://www.acen.org/...p?categoryid=58 will help to that end.

>How do I know that I registered?

This was an oversight of mines as well. When you send in your payment, please include the same information that you registered on the website with. All of this information goes into a database, and if you have posted an email address, I will also work out something to send you a confirmation email that payment was received. Keep in mind, these emails will probably come every 2 weeks starting this weekend, since I won't be able to pickup the snail mail payments until then. If you don't hear anything and you sent in a payment, send an email to specialevents@acen.org and I will do my best to track it down and make sure that you are paid and registered.

That is it for now. Other questions can follow in this thread and I will make addendum's to this post as they appear. Thank you for your patience and I look forward to seeing you all at this year's ball.

-Will
Will English
Special Events Department Head, Anime Central 2009

#2 User is offline   Komurin II 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 16688

Posted 30 March 2008 - 06:16 PM

Hi, Will! I have a friend who's very concerned about the dress code. She doesn't have money to buy a whole new outfit, but she goes have some dressier goth clothes in the back of her closet. Would it be okay for her to wear a nicer goth outfit that doesn't necessarily have a skirt? The only skirts she owns were made to wear with pants and thus are really short.

Any elaboration on the dress code would be extremely helpful.

^_^ Thanks for your time~!

#3 User is offline   CardCaptor Will 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 30 March 2008 - 06:35 PM

View PostKomurin II, on Mar 31 2008, 12:16 AM, said:

Hi, Will! I have a friend who's very concerned about the dress code. She doesn't have money to buy a whole new outfit, but she goes have some dressier goth clothes in the back of her closet. Would it be okay for her to wear a nicer goth outfit that doesn't necessarily have a skirt? The only skirts she owns were made to wear with pants and thus are really short.

Any elaboration on the dress code would be extremely helpful.

^_^ Thanks for your time~!

The answer is that this is a formal event. As long as it falls into that context, that's fine with me.
Will English

#4 User is offline   Lady Luck 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 17675

Posted 31 March 2008 - 04:33 PM

Perhaps your friend could take a picture of what they intend to wear to the event if she has a concern about it.

Also, many proms will be going on in the next month or so, so people can be on the lookout for after-prom clearance & resale shop finds!

Anyways, onto my question!

What's the timeline for the ball like for this year? We had tickets for last year, but couldn't end up going (sad!) but we didn't ask for a refund, because its a good cause and all! So anywho, when does the ball take place this year? Are there any pre-ball events? Is there a mask requirement yet :)?
Pokettokon - January 10-11, 2009 - East Peoria, IL

#5 User is offline   Aera 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 17793

Posted 06 April 2008 - 07:02 PM

ive never gone to the masquerade but i do have a few questions

-is there a mask requirement?
-what day of Acen is it?

#6 User is offline   CardCaptor Will 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 08 April 2008 - 04:05 PM

View PostLady Luck, on Mar 31 2008, 10:33 PM, said:

Perhaps your friend could take a picture of what they intend to wear to the event if she has a concern about it.

Also, many proms will be going on in the next month or so, so people can be on the lookout for after-prom clearance & resale shop finds!

Anyways, onto my question!

What's the timeline for the ball like for this year? We had tickets for last year, but couldn't end up going (sad!) but we didn't ask for a refund, because its a good cause and all! So anywho, when does the ball take place this year? Are there any pre-ball events? Is there a mask requirement yet :)?

Timeline is going to be friday night, after 6pm. Right now I have to confirm a dance instructor before I give out an official time.

There are no pre=ball events

And there isn't a mask requirement (YET! maybe in 2009)

View PostAera, on Apr 7 2008, 01:02 AM, said:

ive never gone to the masquerade but i do have a few questions

-is there a mask requirement?
-what day of Acen is it?

as above, see below
Will English

#7 User is offline   voni ^__^ 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 6740

Posted 09 April 2008 - 03:00 PM

okay i've registered like 20some people or so i think i have... i kinda lost track a bit... is there a way i can just send you payment and a list of who i am paying for?
Blog | Facebook | Pinterest

ACen Idol
Yvonne Luong
ACen 07-08 - Panel Programming - ACen Idol Coordinator

#8 User is offline   Lady Luna 

• Pip
  • Group: Purge for Inactivity
  • Member No.: 17778

Posted 14 April 2008 - 01:30 PM

I was just wondering ,where will the ball be held?

#9 User is offline   momomaruhana 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 17334

Posted 17 April 2008 - 09:35 AM

View PostLady Luna, on Apr 14 2008, 03:30 PM, said:

I was just wondering ,where will the ball be held?

i was wondering this too please

#10 User is offline   Maggie 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 17880

Posted 18 April 2008 - 01:50 PM

Can the ball be paid and registered for at ACEN? Just curious. I'll pay and register online if that's not possible (it's mid-April so I don't even know if I *CAN* do that anymore).

I have a gothic lolita dress that's very fancy and pretty, but it only goes to my knees, despite looking like a chibi ball gown. It's very much like something Mana would wear from Malice Mizer, if that helps... gorgeous, but not floor length. If I wore that I'd wear it with nice heels and tights, but it's not exactly conventional formal ^_^;;

Can I wear that or does this have to be hardcore dress-up stuff?
ACEN 2009 Cosplay
- Amber Sweet from Repo: The Genetic Opera (Zydrate Anatomy)
Did not have time or energy to wear Light/L cosplay. Next time?

Previous Cosplays: Warrior Paine from Final Fantasy X-2, Chocolat Misu from Sorcerer Hunters and more. Gallery.

#11 User is offline   Lady Luck 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 17675

Posted 20 April 2008 - 09:35 AM

View PostMaggie, on Apr 18 2008, 02:50 PM, said:

Can the ball be paid and registered for at ACEN? Just curious. I'll pay and register online if that's not possible (it's mid-April so I don't even know if I *CAN* do that anymore).

I have a gothic lolita dress that's very fancy and pretty, but it only goes to my knees, despite looking like a chibi ball gown. It's very much like something Mana would wear from Malice Mizer, if that helps... gorgeous, but not floor length. If I wore that I'd wear it with nice heels and tights, but it's not exactly conventional formal ^_^;;

Can I wear that or does this have to be hardcore dress-up stuff?

Usually there's a room capacity limit so the sooner you get your tickets paid for the better. There will probably be a liminted # available at-con, depending on the number of pre-regs & the # of total tickets available.
Pokettokon - January 10-11, 2009 - East Peoria, IL

#12 User is offline   ShortSpike 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 3598

Posted 22 April 2008 - 11:33 AM

View PostLady Luck, on Apr 20 2008, 03:35 PM, said:

Usually there's a room capacity limit so the sooner you get your tickets paid for the better. There will probably be a liminted # available at-con, depending on the number of pre-regs & the # of total tickets available.

Yeah-I think it's best to get on it and pre-reg as soon as possible so that maybe we can get a bigger room than last year;)Hopefully the turnout will increase.I know I'm hyped.
Provehito in Altum.

#13 User is offline   sekhmet 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 18031

Posted 24 April 2008 - 10:51 PM

Is the ball themed ? Just curious.

#14 User is offline   Kikyo 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 9185

Posted 27 April 2008 - 09:10 PM

Does formal here=tux, or suit, for guys? Long dress, cocktail dress, or ballgown for girls?

Also, dance instructor? For what? Sounds fun. :)
ACEN 2011 Cosplays:
Winry Rockbell from Fullmetal Alchemist
Tifa Lockheart from Final Fantasy VII

Ranka Lee from Macross Frontier--Masquerade

Previous cosplays: Zelda from The Legend of Zelda; Nodame from Nodame Cantabile; Excel from Excel Saga; Ino from Naruto and Naruto: Shippuden; Kikyo from Inuyasha; Rukia from Bleach; Misa from Death Note; Haruhi (Haruhi no Gekisou rock star, schoolgirl, bunny, and cheerleader outfits) from TMOSH; Julia from Cowboy Bebop; Kaoru from Ouran High School Host Club; Maho from BECK; Blood Elf from World of Warcraft
Elphaba from Wicked; Belle from Beauty and the Beast; Yvaine from Stardust; Alice from Alice in Wonderland

#15 User is offline   Kikyo 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 27 April 2008 - 09:18 PM

Also, when is the deadline for pre-registration for the ball?
ACEN 2011 Cosplays:

Previous cosplays: Zelda from The Legend of Zelda; Nodame from Nodame Cantabile; Excel from Excel Saga; Ino from Naruto and Naruto: Shippuden; Kikyo from Inuyasha; Rukia from Bleach; Misa from Death Note; Haruhi (Haruhi no Gekisou rock star, schoolgirl, bunny, and cheerleader outfits) from TMOSH; Julia from Cowboy Bebop; Kaoru from Ouran High School Host Club; Maho from BECK; Blood Elf from World of Warcraft
Elphaba from Wicked; Belle from Beauty and the Beast; Yvaine from Stardust; Alice from Alice in Wonderland

#16 User is offline   Chiya 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 7117

Posted 28 April 2008 - 03:32 PM

Is kimonos made out of satin brocade considered formal? What's the dance instructor for? Where is the ball going to take place? It would be my bf and I's first time going to the ball this year if we decide to go.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

#17 User is offline   Amunet 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 4411

Posted 29 April 2008 - 11:37 AM

I've been to the ball since it first started (2006 I believe) and I know that any type of formal attire from ANY CULTURE is acceptable. So a formal Kimono would be acceptable.

That is what I have been told and what I have seen. I'm not staff or anything though.
♥ Amunet will move to Illinois! Coming Soon ♥
~ Captain of The Glomp Team ~
Official Thread of The Glomp Team ~ Click Here ~
わたしは クリス です。 ^_^

#18 User is offline   Kaptain 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 17688

Posted 01 May 2008 - 01:13 PM

i feel really dumb asking this, cause it's probably right infront of my face and i just can't find it, but how do we sign up and pay? and how much does it cost?
I'm finally doing my dream cosplay this year cause i'm finally good enough to make it! go me! <3

#19 User is offline   Alicorn 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 8346

Posted 01 May 2008 - 07:32 PM

View PostKaptain, on May 1 2008, 08:13 PM, said:

i feel really dumb asking this, cause it's probably right infront of my face and i just can't find it, but how do we sign up and pay? and how much does it cost?

View PostCardCaptor Will, on Mar 31 2008, 01:10 AM, said:

Hello all.

I thought I would make one thread for the Masquerade Ball, so I know where to look to answer questions.

Let me say first of all that I cannot access the forums in any reasonable timely fashion. Therefore, if you feel a response is slow here on the forums, the faster way would be to send an email to specialevents@acen.org. I will try to respond within 48 hours of an email.

I'm going to list some concerns that were brought to my attention from various attendees here.

>Room was too small / people were turned away / why does it say 250 people on the website?

I was made aware of this concern last year. I knew that I would need a larger room for the attendees this year. The number posted on the website was an oversight by me and the webmistress. As I've stated before, I do not plan on turning anyone away and I do anticipate more than 250 people showing up. Pre-registering on the website http://www.acen.org/...p?categoryid=58 will help to that end.

If it had been a snake... XD Anyway, there's the link, and following the link you will see the price!

#20 User is offline   Amunet 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 4411

Posted 11 May 2008 - 03:20 AM

Do we know the time/date/location yet?
♥ Amunet will move to Illinois! Coming Soon ♥
~ Captain of The Glomp Team ~
Official Thread of The Glomp Team ~ Click Here ~
わたしは クリス です。 ^_^

#21 User is offline   sackerhale 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 4152

Posted 11 May 2008 - 05:36 AM

I will be attending firday night as Hokage Naruto (the 6th). Since the Hokage outift is a formal outfit/ dress uniform, would that be possible to wear?
ACen cosplay lineup-11th Doctor(Dr Who), Elder (Journey pS3), Yvelta (PoKeMoN X-Y), Ed (Ed, Edd, Eddie), Number 39 Utopia (YU-GI-OH zeXal)

#22 User is offline   Odin 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 1911

Posted 11 May 2008 - 09:49 AM

Hi all,

This is Stephen from the Spoony Bards, and we'll be providing music again for this year's Charity Masquerade Ball!

I've talked with Will about the Ball's time, and so far this looks to be the schedule:

Friday, My 16th:

7:00 PM: Dance Lessons
8:00 PM: Ball begins, lasts until approximately 11:00

As it has been the past two years, it will be taking place at the Embassy Suites, right across the street from the convention center. I don't know yet which room. There are still tickets left to pre-register for, and as for now the Ball will be selling tickets at the door. The more people who preregister, however, the higher the chance that a larger room can be acquired - people had to be turned away at the door last year, and we don't want that to happen again!

-Stephen

#23 User is offline   silverscout 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 18313

Posted 12 May 2008 - 07:07 PM

Hey Will, I have a quick question.

I would like to register still for 2 slots, can we still register and reserve and pay now by some means.. the post master is not the fastest. I do live in chicago and I know you may get it like next year "kidding" but it would take a week. I was wondering if there was any other means of payment of Reserving a spot? If there is a way, I will be able to pay as soon as I get a response.

:)

Dave

#24 User is offline   Kikyo 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 13 May 2008 - 05:58 PM

View PostOdin, on May 11 2008, 10:49 AM, said:

Hi all,

This is Stephen from the Spoony Bards, and we'll be providing music again for this year's Charity Masquerade Ball!

I've talked with Will about the Ball's time, and so far this looks to be the schedule:

Friday, My 16th:

7:00 PM: Dance Lessons
8:00 PM: Ball begins, lasts until approximately 11:00

As it has been the past two years, it will be taking place at the Embassy Suites, right across the street from the convention center. I don't know yet which room. There are still tickets left to pre-register for, and as for now the Ball will be selling tickets at the door. The more people who preregister, however, the higher the chance that a larger room can be acquired - people had to be turned away at the door last year, and we don't want that to happen again!

-Stephen

Thanks so much for the info, Stephen! I think we are all very excited for this! :)
ACEN 2011 Cosplays:

#25 User is offline   Alicorn 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 8346

Posted 13 May 2008 - 09:05 PM

View Postsilverscout, on May 13 2008, 02:07 AM, said:

Hey Will, I have a quick question.

I would like to register still for 2 slots, can we still register and reserve and pay now by some means.. the post master is not the fastest. I do live in chicago and I know you may get it like next year "kidding" but it would take a week. I was wondering if there was any other means of payment of Reserving a spot? If there is a way, I will be able to pay as soon as I get a response.

:)

Dave

You can pay at the door :) While I see no deadline posted, er, there's no time for anything mailed to reach Will before the con XD

#26 User is offline   Kikyo 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 15 May 2008 - 07:37 PM

Would it be ok if we're late to the ball? My bf will be in a tournament that will likely last past the time that the ball starts. :( We're pre-registered, but not paid yet; we wanted to pay at the door.

Thanks for any info on this!
ACEN 2011 Cosplays:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users