#91 User is offline   TheRabbi 

• IRT ADH
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Assistant Department Head
  • Member No.: 591

Posted 21 July 2004 - 09:50 AM

Lordi said:

security is NOT gentle when they catch a theif

Heh. We try not to be, hoping that someone out there will hear about it and decide not to steal... and we'll have one less person to catch... (as if stealing in the Dealers' Room will ever cease...)

For con-goers' benefits, though, it's better if we catch them than if Rosemont PD does.
Eli "Rabbi" Morris-Heft: IRT Assistant Department Head
SecDiv Dispatch 2004, IRT Communications ADH 2005-06, IRT Dispatch Supervisor 2007-2010, IRT Dispatch Commander 2011, IRT ADH 2012-, IT Senior Sysadmin 2007-2011, ACen Clergy, 2004-

"Two-three the count with nobody on / He hit a high fly into the stands / Roundin' third, he was headed for home / It was a brown-eyed handsome man (that won the game) / It was a brown-eyed handsome man." (Brown-Eyed Handsome Man by Chuck Berry)

I <3 People Who <3 IRT!Want to help make IRT even better? Apply next year!

#92 User is offline   Lordi 

• Registration Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 1745

Posted 22 July 2004 - 09:57 PM

i know, im secdiv too - im just letting em know that we are ruthless when we catch someone

sometimes just letting ppl think you are ruthless is enough of a deterrent - but sometimes u have to make some object lessons

my advice - dont be the object lesson
Leader of the Plushie Eaters Alliance (PEA)!

#93 Guest_SenseiHoshikuzu_*

• Group: Guests*
  • Member No.:

Posted 18 November 2004 - 01:21 PM

I hope that if there's any theft going on this year, I hope they get busted so bad... I can't stand thieves, especially at conventions. If *I* see a theft, I'll chase the bastard down and tear him apart (but I'll leave some for the authorities, of course ;) ). But serious, I really hope the theft cuts down this year.

#94 User is offline   Mandy-chan 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Purge for Inactivity
  • Member No.: 55

Posted 18 November 2004 - 03:59 PM

SenseiHoshikuzu said:

I hope that if there's any theft going on this year, I hope they get busted so bad... I can't stand thieves, especially at conventions. If *I* see a theft, I'll chase the bastard down and tear him apart (but I'll leave some for the authorities, of course  ;) ). But serious, I really hope the theft cuts down this year.

Honestly, if you see a theft, don't take matters into your own hands.. Report it to security, and let them handle it.
Current Favorite Anime: Read or Die

All-Time Favorite Anime: Fushigi Yuugi

I freely speak my mind whether you like it or not

#95 User is offline   Lordi 

• Registration Staff
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 November 2004 - 07:13 PM

thats the best advice - just find a member of security

we'll be wearing the bright orange vests everyone knew and loved last year

#96 User is offline   MU kawaii kitty 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 3103

Posted 22 November 2004 - 11:21 PM

it is totally sad there even are thives at cons, this is my first time going to Acen but. I went to Project Akon last year and some guy told me he got his Gameboy and all of the games stolen(a fairly good collection of games to) he said someone stole it when he was in the art show because they don't let you take bags in side the art show. Which I can understand, but for most girls like me (who are used to carry purses wherever you go) its not a good idea to just set it down even if it is just for a few minutes.
:heart: Proud member of the Ultimate Yaoi Fangirl Alliance! :heart:
:D :heart: Married off to: Duo Maxwell (Gundam Wing), Spike Spegal (Cowboy Bebop), Wolf Wood (Trigun),Koga (Inuyasha), Ari Yuki (Gravitation) :heart:
]

#97 Guest_SenseiHoshikuzu_*

• Member No.:

Posted 23 November 2004 - 09:11 AM

Don't worry. I wouldn't *really* take matters into my own hands. The security is there for a reason, and I'm sure they're much better equipped to handle the situation than I am. I just think it's amusing to imagine taking them down myself. I'm sure that many other people feel the same way, but I hope they have the good sense that I have to not actually do it, because that's the way people get hurt.

Anyway, I certainly won't be putting down any of my stuff while I'm there. I'll have my backpack with me if I end up carrying anything (or good pockets on whatever costume I wear). You never can be too careful...

#98 User is offline   Lordi 

• Registration Staff
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 23 November 2004 - 11:35 PM

the biggest thing is to be aware of whats going on around you

instead of carrying a wallet in your back pocket, carry it in your front pocket - this way its harder to get to. as for stuff like gameboys, if they wont let you carry it in with you, run it out to your car/hotel room/mommy/friend/S.O. etc.

if something does happen, or you see something happen, look for secdiv

#99 User is offline   Candy-cane 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 3166

Posted 02 December 2004 - 11:57 PM

hey i have a question, i went to last years acen, but never stayed over, this year i am with a bunch of friends and all . the only thing i'm worried about is that i hope we have no ( college) classes, im going to fight my consuler on it, otherwise we are going to be there late on friday to check in, i mean we did pick a late hotel check in time- 3pm! but if we miss it what do we do? i'm hoping we won't but it depends on our classes what time they are! and also one more thing, i don't know if this is the right place to ask this, but can we get extra keys for the door? thanks sry if i asked this in the wrong place

#100 User is offline   Medieval 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 1174

Posted 03 December 2004 - 09:18 AM

Candy-cane said:

hey i have a question, i went to last years acen, but never stayed over, this year i am with a bunch of friends and all . the only thing i'm worried about is that  i hope we have no ( college) classes, im going to fight my consuler on it, otherwise we are going to be there late on friday to check in, i mean we did pick a late hotel check in time- 3pm! but if we miss it what do we do? i'm hoping we won't but it depends on our classes what time they are! and also one more thing, i don't know if this is the right place to ask this, but can we get extra keys for the door? thanks sry if i asked this in the wrong place

:confused: :confused:

Best people to ask about missing check in times is the Hotel itself, it is there policies afterall that would govern what exactly happens.

As for Spare keys, in the past when I've gone they have given the group I was with a max of four keys for the room. Again though the best source for this is again the hotel.

No need to apologize, this seems like the right thread for such questions.

:confused: :confused:
"In shadows we see that which we fear, we need only shine the light of reason upon ourselves to see them as shadows."

#101 User is offline   Lordi 

• Registration Staff
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 06 December 2004 - 01:44 PM

if you need more than 4 keys, try going back later.. i was sharing a room with four other people, and we were all able to get keys

just had to go later in the day ^^

#102 User is offline   mmy-sama 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 3465

Posted 13 January 2005 - 09:59 PM

Also remember, theres a strict dress code. Genitalia must be covered at ALL times while in public. NO EXCEPTIONS!! That is all.
Anonymous died for your signs.

#103 Guest_dnmcgoy_*

• Member No.:

Posted 31 January 2005 - 01:00 PM

Hi, I'm considering going to the 2005 Acen although I don't have anyone I would be going with. I went with a friend to PAX and had a blast, which is why I'm considering going to this (He's not an anime fan though, which is why he wouldn't be going with) I know this has been somewhat addressed in a previous post, but is it usually easy to find a group of people to hang out with? Part of why I would be going is to meet more people with similar interests, however, its just out of curiousity how clique-ish everyone usually is there. For those of you who have been before, is this the case? Also, is there a particular part of this forum that is good for chatting up so I might know some people before I go. Sorry if all these questions are really formal. :sweatdrop Any help is really appreciated. -Donnie

#104 User is offline   stomptoMYbeat 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 2256

Posted 31 January 2005 - 07:56 PM

If you haven't heard from other people if you've happened to talk to them about the con, (if they've gone) it's not very difficult to meet people at ACen. I have not yet met one mean person at a con. Everyone is pretty much all-around friendly.

And by all-around friendly, I mean like; you can just walk up to someone you don't even know, tell them you like their cosplay or whatever, end up getting into a conversation with them, and talk with them like you've been friends for years!

The biggest thing: Don't be shy! We won't bite ^^; Don't be scared to approach someone (or a group of people, in a different case) You'll meet some of the most amazing and fun people at ACen :D
FIND ME AT ACEN: WEARING MY DEADMAU5 HEAD AGAIN!

#105 User is offline   Lordi 

• Registration Staff
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 02 February 2005 - 12:58 AM

some people bite, if you're into that sort of thing

#106 Guest_Esper Shiva_*

• Member No.:

Posted 03 February 2005 - 02:00 AM

Last time I went to the convention was a total fluke of the oddest set of coincidences possible. I was looking for an out of print soundtrack of Cowboy Bebop at a mall in Norridge next thing I know I am on my bike riding to a convention in Rosemont that the employee at Suncoast mentioned as a place to find it. It just so happened to be the last day of the convention and I found nice enough people to show me where I was going by actually going with me to the dealer's center. I hope that eases you somewhat dnmcgoy.
This year I want to do it right. I invited my friend from out of state to go with me and I am paying for us as a group. Since he's coming in from out of state he's going to stay for the whole three days. The thing I am wondering about is the wording they have on the prices. It says $20 for a sunday badge and $45 otherwise. Since I preregistered is it automatically for all three days? or would I be paying $45 x 3days for each of us? It might seem like a simple question but it is obviously imperative to my going.

#107 Guest_Esper Shiva_*

• Member No.:

Posted 03 February 2005 - 02:12 AM

oh and another question, since I preregistered online how do I send them the money? Since it a group do I put the group code or our individual confirmation numbers? I didn't exactly find a place detailing how to make out the money order. I hope you can help!

#108 Guest_Esper Shiva_*

• Member No.:

Posted 03 February 2005 - 02:23 AM

I just read through my confirmation email and found all the info in there; I would delete the posts if I could. Thanks anyway.

-i feel silly

So as a lesson for others look through what you have before you ask. You might already have the answer :sweatdrop

#109 User is offline   Lordi 

• Registration Staff
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 03 February 2005 - 03:07 AM

welcome to acen, shiva

better hope ifrit doesnt come around

#110 Guest_dnmcgoy_*

• Member No.:

Posted 06 February 2005 - 03:53 PM

I haven't been able to call the hotel yet to make a reservation. Before I call them I want to check with my work to make sure I can get off for that weekend. However, there's little point in even mentioning it if I can't even find a room. I've heard rumors that the entire place is already booked solid. Does anyone know if this rumor is true? I figured I'd ask you guys before contacting the hotel, since, if I can't make a reservation yet, I'm really wasting their time.
Thanks again, Donnie

#111 User is offline   Lordi 

• Registration Staff
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 06 February 2005 - 10:48 PM

contact the hotel

usually there is an announcement that the hotel is booked solid, and i havent seen one yet

however, make sure you menton acen, because we may have most of the hotel reserved - last year we sold out the hyatt and most of the overflow hotel, so they may not let you reserve unless you mention acen

#112 User is offline   Mandy-chan 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 07 February 2005 - 08:55 AM

Plus once the Hyatt is booked, they are pretty fast about announcing an overflow hotel.

Also, usually there is a date in which before you can call and cancel your hotel with no loss of money. I'm not sure when that is, but you might want to call and reserve your room if you think you might want to go to Acen.

Just because you can't get a room in the Hyatt doesn't mean you can't go to the con.

#113 User is offline   hiryuu97 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 3728

Posted 17 February 2005 - 04:55 PM

dnmcgoy said:

I've heard rumors that the entire place is already booked solid.  Does anyone know if this rumor is true?

If you log onto their site it says they're booked. However, I called personally just two weeks ago and got a room no problem. I just had to mention that I was attending ACEN.

#114 Guest_mandelbrotset_*

• Member No.:

Posted 24 February 2005 - 10:58 PM

I'm confused about the registration fee wording too. Is badge fee the same as admission fee? Why does the admission fee page say $40 but the badge fee page says $45 (I presume this is for all 3 days of the convention) and $20 for Sunday? I looked at the registration page and did not see anyplace to select a Sunday only registration.

Is there a daily, planned shedule of events posted anywhere? I'd like to know what I'd be missing if I came Sunday only.

Also, can I register in person somewhere? Can I go to the convention center and pre-register? Do I have to submit my preregistration online?

#115 User is offline   Mandy-chan 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 25 February 2005 - 10:20 AM

mandelbrotset said:

I'm confused about the registration fee wording too.  Is badge fee the same as admission fee?  Why does the admission fee page say $40 but the badge fee page says $45 (I presume this is for all 3 days of the convention) and $20 for Sunday?  I looked at the registration page and did not see anyplace to select a Sunday only registration.

Is there a daily, planned shedule of events posted anywhere?  I'd like to know what I'd be missing if I came Sunday only.

Also, can I register in person somewhere?  Can I go to the convention center and pre-register?  Do I have to submit my preregistration online?

Firstly, the prices of $45 & $20 are the lost badge fees. The admission fee is the same thing as the badge fee. The pre-reg price is currently at $40.

There is no place you can go to pre-reg in person, you have to either fill out the online form or there is a form you can print out. With both, you'll have to send your money in. And you can only pre-reg for all three days.

You can do at-con reg for just one day. But those prices won't be announced until after pre-reg closes on April 9th.

A schedule won't be released until much closer to the con. In the past it's usually been released only a couple weeks before the con.

If you are going to only go one day, I would suggest going on Saturday, because Saturday has the most going on. Sunday doesn't have much at all, a few panels, a couple autograph signings, the dealer's room is open for a short while, then there is closing ceremonies.

Hope this helps!

If you have more questions, especially about the reg process, feel free to pm me.

#116 User is offline   OneWing 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 3929

Posted 28 February 2005 - 01:57 AM

I'm a first timer to Acen as well, and would like to express my appreciation to the contributors of this great thread! I went to GenCon in '02, so I kind of have a mental image to prepare me for Acen, which I'm greatly anticipating, and this thread was a very useful reminder.

Having gone to the Dear Friends concert there in Rosemont last week, I would like to suggest a couple of things not neccessarily con specific, but useful for any kind of trip like these. I saw reminders to bring food, meds, inhalers, etc. to the con, well, in the middle of winter sure enough we just missed a storm on the way back up to Wisconsin from Chicago the day we left and wouldn't have had certain supplies, so make sure whatever you need to survive bring enough for an extra couple of days without overloading yourself in case of unexpected weather or delayed flights and whatnot. One of my friends who lives in England flew out here mainly for the concert lol and got back home with just a few dollars in his pocket, so when he comes back for Acen this year he'll be loaded lol. ^_^

If anyone else is from the central Wisconsin, please let me know, as I know NO ONE here that hardly knows what anime is!! @_@ lol so once again thanks everyone for the nice reminders and suggestions! :D ^_^

#117 User is offline   hiryuu97 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 28 February 2005 - 10:51 AM

Ask and though shall receive. I'm not from central wisconsin exactly but I'm not to far away. I live in Clintonville so I'm in the same boat as you. Being in a small town it seems nobody knows about anime at all. Oh, incase you're wondering, Amherst is only about a 55 min drive away. I've actually been through there a few times. Perhaps I'll see you at acen.

#118 User is offline   OneWing 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 3929

Posted 28 February 2005 - 11:14 AM

Awesome! That was a fast response :D Yea I've been to Clintonville once or twice. I have some older friends up there. I don't live IN Amherst though, just around there. lol So yea, I don't need a ride or group for hotel, but maybe we can make a meeting place for the con? PM me if you have any ideas (I don't know the layout or anything) ^_^

That brings me to another question, I searched on google to no avail, does anyone have a map of the center?
I am "flowin' with life in a warrior type manner." || Forgive and forget. :) || Proud Member of the Shy Otaku Syndicate <3
Previous cosplay: '05: Cloud from FFVII:AC '07: Thu+Fri: Kakashi | Fri Masq Ball: Reno (FFVII:AC) | Sat: Cloud (FFVII:AC) | Sun: Uriel (Angel Sanctuary)
Cosplay for '08: Thurs: Casual Kenashi-Sama[/u] | Fri: Cloud FFVIIAC (surprise saved for '09) | Sat: Solid Snake + Z.O.E. box - MGS1 version FOR MASQ
Cosplay for '09: Locke - Final Fantasy VI || Vamp - MGS4 || Cosplay for '10: Kuja ;3
//Thank you so much to the people who like my cosplay, it means a lot - and glomps to the people who freaking knew my Z.O.E. box for Snake!\\
ACen 2008 Walk-Ons: My Solid Snake: http://www.acparadise.com/acp/vid/3737 || My wonderful friends as Malice Mizer (<3 Kami): http://www.acparadise.com/acp/vid/3718

#119 User is offline   darkened_one 

• IRT
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 1137

Posted 28 February 2005 - 11:24 AM

my advise to first timers here is a list of things that is a must do

1. SHOWER!!!
2. brings caffine
3. meet everyone you can and if you have a IM exchange IM's and phone numbers (I've found alot of anime fans seem to be cast outs of society so its nice to be able to talk to friends from cons)
4. bring a open mind (I've seen some werid things at cons that I would have been like :eek: :confused: a few years ago ... its life every ones diffrent and messed up just think in a few years you will be like us)
5. DON"T BE AFRIAD TO TALK (one of my friends at his first con didn't talk to any one for 2 days because he thought a con was sort of like school where only certain people can talk to certain people) almost every one at a con is friendly (at least they should be) don't act werid because they scares people you wanna talk to someone just say "hi"
6. the nerdier you are the more chicks you get (I don't know if its true but it couldn't hurt to test the theory)
7. Once again be yourself and you'll go far. The worst thing you can do at a con is just roll up in a ball and not socialize at all. Acen is like one big geek/nerd/anime fan (of course anime fan) party (if you have trouble talking come find me I'll take you under my wing or find someone else to and get you into conversations with people and get you hugs)
dark god of war, fire, death ... and kittens

I am a man of many names but you only need to know one ... I em the Darkie

members of the dark army
Sinfull_Zaraki, faithful_jello, kawaii_kitty, Oreo_Otaku

#120 User is offline   hiryuu97 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 28 February 2005 - 12:12 PM

OneWing said:

...does anyone have a map of the center?

Try the hotels website. I believe I saw a layout map of the hotel there a short while ago. If you still can't find it, let me know, I'll send you a copy of the one I got.

• 20 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users