• This topic is locked

First-Time Con Goer Resources?

#31 User is offline   excel excel 

• Panel Programming <3
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderator
  • Member No.: 1495

Posted 13 March 2004 - 10:27 AM

AND MOST OF ALL: SHOWER! (DEAR GOD,THE SMELL!!!)

I totally agree. Hotels provide us these "complemetary" items like soap and washrags. Use these to your advantage. So whether you got through playing 2 hours of DDR or sweating in your cosplay outfit. Wash up. Remember these items are complementary. I cannot stress this enough . And remember, bathing cleanses the mind and body

;)

#32 User is offline   Mandy-chan 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Purge for Inactivity
  • Member No.: 55

Posted 15 March 2004 - 12:56 PM

Originally posted by [AN]The_Stuff
ohh ohhh .. i thought of one to .. "use the escalators to go to L2!! not the elevator!!"

Unless you need to... We try and use the stairs if we can, but last year, one of the members of our group was well into her pregnancy... and we also have a member of our group who has bad knees, and can't walk up the stairs very well.

So, in most cases, try and use the stairs if you aren't going very far, but there are people who need to use the elevators most of the time
:sweatdrop
Current Favorite Anime: Read or Die

All-Time Favorite Anime: Fushigi Yuugi

I freely speak my mind whether you like it or not

#33 User is offline   Alucard 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 473

Posted 24 March 2004 - 06:14 PM

important: if u arrive at the hyatt on thurs or before that , the con will have badge pickup on thurs night from 5 to 8 pm.
whos to say that sanity is insane and insanity is sanity
CLAIMED AS 0F 051305. in light theres darkness and in darkness theres light
nico
niccio

#34 User is offline   Kamja 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 1871

Posted 30 March 2004 - 08:59 PM

Well I suggest making a list and checking it twice, especialy before you leave. Theres nothing like going to the con and realizing you forgot your toothbrush or whatnot. Make a list of things you'll need for the hotel and the convention itself and be sure to pack on thursday so you don't scramble and forget something on friday morning or whenever you plan to leave. Also learn to control your spending habits. Set aside some money for food etc. get plenty of shut eye and BATHE. Oh lord I can't explain the horriblness of someone who doesn't bathe. Imagine your entire gym class not using deoderant, thats what it amounts to. Have fun first-timers!

#35 Guest_Narumi-kun_*

• Group: Guests*
  • Member No.:

Posted 31 March 2004 - 10:34 AM

Originally posted by Kamja
Well I suggest making a list and checking it twice, especialy before you leave. Theres nothing like going to the con and realizing you forgot your toothbrush or whatnot. Make a list of things you'll need for the hotel and the convention itself and be sure to pack on thursday so you don't scramble and forget something on friday morning or whenever you plan to leave. Also learn to control your spending habits. Set aside some money for food etc. get plenty of shut eye and BATHE. Oh lord I can't explain the horriblness of someone who doesn't bathe. Imagine your entire gym class not using deoderant, thats what it amounts to. Have fun first-timers!

hehe making a list and checking it twice reminds me of a song.. lol.... oh yeah the santa song.... hehe lol yeah i am really hyper not i got all my pissed off rage out of me on another thread

#36 User is offline   Uteki 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 1469

Posted 31 March 2004 - 10:44 AM

Theres nothing like going to the con and realizing you forgot your toothbrush or whatnot.
No kidding - the shop at the hotel is very expensive. $3+ for a small bottle of baby powder because I forgot to bring the giant economy size in my luggage.

#37 User is offline   Yume No Miko 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 1219

Posted 04 April 2004 - 06:17 PM

Another thing I haven't seen mentined and this is Very important to families or groups traveling with children unter 13. Keep an eye on your children!!
Or..at least keep an open line of communication with them if they are traveling with other friends.

Forever to that song that was gone by morning
He followed endlessly those footsteps that we left behind
With a parting comes an end, thus we leave everything behind
By morning we'll be humming a new tune beneath the sunlight

#38 User is offline   Kamja 

• Pip

Posted 05 April 2004 - 04:15 PM

Originally posted by Uteki
No kidding - the shop at the hotel is very expensive. $3+ for a small bottle of baby powder because I forgot to bring the giant economy size in my luggage.

what do you need babypowder for? Were you using it a makeup or b/c you had a kid w/ you?

#39 User is offline   XCTU 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 773

Posted 05 April 2004 - 08:12 PM

Its been said, but don't buy what you can't carry. And don't buy all your stuff right when you get there...You don't want to be carrying everything around with you. Its understandable to want to get something that may not be there the next time you visit in an hour, but to get a LOT of items like that...not good if you're gonna be at the con all day. Personally, i live 20 minutes away from the place, so my car is gonna be at the bus station a couple blocks away, so thats a far walk with a lot of crap, and i dont have a room at the hotel of course, so i can't drop my stuff off there...so if you cant have easy access to a place where you can drop off your stuff when you buy it, dont buy it all at one time, or in one day.

Budget your time: The con only lasts one weekend, and certain things are only open till a certain time. If you want to go to the video room, wait until after the dealer room and all those things are closed...don't get stuck planning to go to a place and have it not be open yet...

Bring a cell phone. I know that i wont always want to do whatever the people i'm going with are doing...and if we're all getting in the same vehicle to go home, then we would want a to contact eachother...the cons a big place.

And most importantly IMO...WATCH YOUR STUFF

there's thieves everywhere...dont trust people, dont set your stuff down "for a second." I bring a backpack so i can always have my stuff on me whenever i go anywhere, and have 2 free hands to do whatever the hell i want to.
<3 Nana Mizuki

#40 User is offline   Uteki 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 1469

Posted 05 April 2004 - 11:28 PM

what do you need babypowder for? Were you using it a makeup or b/c you had a kid w/ you?
It was for my cosplay. Leotards chafe recently shaved skin in sensitive areas. *owie* Baby powder reduces the friction.

#41 User is offline   Kamja 

• Pip

Posted 07 April 2004 - 03:58 PM

Originally posted by XCTU
Its been said, but don't buy what you can't carry. And don't buy all your stuff right when you get there...You don't want to be carrying everything around with you. Its understandable to want to get something that may not be there the next time you visit in an hour, but to get a LOT of items like that...not good if you're gonna be at the con all day. Personally, i live 20 minutes away from the place, so my car is gonna be at the bus station a couple blocks away, so thats a far walk with a lot of crap, and i dont have a room at the hotel of course, so i can't drop my stuff off there...so if you cant have easy access to a place where you can drop off your stuff when you buy it, dont buy it all at one time, or in one day.

Budget your time: The con only lasts one weekend, and certain things are only open till a certain time. If you want to go to the video room, wait until after the dealer room and all those things are closed...don't get stuck planning to go to a place and have it not be open yet...

Bring a cell phone. I know that i wont always want to do whatever the people i'm going with are doing...and if we're all getting in the same vehicle to go home, then we would want a to contact eachother...the cons a big place.

And most importantly IMO...WATCH YOUR STUFF

there's thieves everywhere...dont trust people, dont set your stuff down "for a second." I bring a backpack so i can always have my stuff on me whenever i go anywhere, and have 2 free hands to do whatever the hell i want to.

I agree, people are sneaky and can't be trusted, protect your merchandise at all costs, even if it means wacking them with your props (if you have any.)

#42 User is offline   Mandy-chan 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 08 April 2004 - 07:40 AM

I agree, people are sneaky and can't be trusted, protect your merchandise at all costs, even if it means wacking them with your props (if you have any.)

Just remember if you 'whack' someone with your prop, you could find yourself in security explaining your actions... and it may lead to you being thrown out of the hotel and/or the con :sweatdrop

#43 User is offline   Kamja 

• Pip

Posted 08 April 2004 - 06:40 PM

Originally posted by Mandy-chan
Just remember if you 'whack' someone with your prop, you could find yourself in security explaining your actions... and it may lead to you being thrown out of the hotel and/or the con :sweatdrop

Gah, good of you to point that out but I was being sarcastic.

#44 User is offline   Mandy-chan 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 12 April 2004 - 11:48 AM

Gah, good of you to point that out but I was being sarcastic.

Ah, okay... well, sarcasm is hard to pick out when it's just the typed word :sweatdrop

#45 User is offline   Odori Senshi 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 296

Posted 12 April 2004 - 12:03 PM

NOOOOO!!! REALLLY????

#46 Guest_Narumi-kun_*

• Member No.:

Posted 12 April 2004 - 05:02 PM

ok odori that reeally wasnt needed..... but anywho...... i dunno even if you did hit someone with ur prop form trying to steal somethin.... well atleast if i was a security guard i would be understanding about it

#47 User is offline   Mandy-chan 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 12 April 2004 - 05:05 PM

Originally posted by Narumi-kun
ok odori that reeally wasnt needed..... but anywho...... i dunno even if you did hit someone with ur prop form trying to steal somethin.... well atleast if i was a security guard i would be understanding about it

I don't know... if someone was stealing, security might be a little more understanding... but if someone from security didn't see the incident it would be a case of which account security believes :sweatdrop

#48 Guest_Narumi-kun_*

• Member No.:

Posted 14 April 2004 - 05:28 PM

I don't know... if someone was stealing, security might be a little more understanding... but if someone from security didn't see the incident it would be a case of which account security believes :sweatdrop

yea true true...... that would be kind of hard to tell who is telling the truth..... what we need is.... MORAL COURT.... or PEOPLES COURT... lol

#49 User is offline   tfcreate 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 115

Posted 14 April 2004 - 05:38 PM

Originally posted by Buutsu-chan
Any advice for someone who is going it alone?

Bring along the Gameboy.... There should be plenty of gamers to duke it out with...:D

TFC
Decide on your masters, people, for you cannot serve both. Either be an anime con or be a 3-day frat party. (I'm Done with ACen.)
Those who can't be bothered with the little things can't be trusted with the big ones.... ~Larry Bell-Founder of the Bell Aircraft Co.
Any fool can learn from his own mistakes. The wise learn from the mistakes of others....~ Democritus
Posers worry about how they look when they take pictures, shooters worry about the how you look when they shoot.
ACen and cosplay photos
How I Spent ACen 04' Making these.....
(2012)
Next Photoshoot~ Anime Iowa

#50 Guest_Narumi-kun_*

• Member No.:

Posted 14 April 2004 - 05:49 PM

yea that.. plus maybe something to read..... either for if you arent talking to someone...... or if you want to talk to someone.... if your reading sometimes theyll ask what ur reading and youll tell them and you some how get into a coversation

#51 Guest_Canti03_*

• Member No.:

Posted 21 April 2004 - 08:17 PM

me and my friend are going for the first time no one else here likes anime and we wanted to know if anyone out there wanted to go with us to the con to help us out a bit or meet us there please let me know ok we are from Rockford,IL

#52 User is offline   repeat2k 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 1262

Posted 22 April 2004 - 09:27 AM

Me, my friend and my brother are going to Acen and we live in Rockford. I think we would be willing to go with other people.

#53 Guest_Canti03_*

• Member No.:

Posted 22 April 2004 - 12:24 PM

thats cool let me check with my friend and we can make this happen ok

#54 User is offline   KORfan 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 1784

Posted 23 April 2004 - 11:17 PM

As I understand it, there are at least two clubs in Rockford. One's at Rock Valley College and one is independant. If you can't find them, check my profile and email me, or if you're not comfortable with that send me a private message and I'll put you in touch with them. I'm down in DeKalb (29 miles south) and I have people in my club from Rockford. If you can't find anyone else at the con, find the OtakuBlues table in Artists Alley and tell them Dave sent you.

#55 User is offline   jrockgal07 

• Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 1009

Posted 25 April 2004 - 05:15 PM

This is going to be my first con, also *sighs* Im in it for the jrock and Jp culture actually. The only anime I still like is Angel Sanctuary. Wooow, i love that anime in fact.

#56 Guest_Canti03_*

• Member No.:

Posted 26 April 2004 - 12:37 PM

a man thats coo cause me and my friend were always bored just doing the same thing over and over if you dont mind give me more info please

#57 Guest_animefan_*

• Member No.:

Posted 27 April 2004 - 11:46 AM

I know these may seem like two really stupid questions but thanks for listening and hopefully answering!

1. On your badge, do you have to put your real name? I mean I'm up for socialization but I'm kind of personal.

2. Can we give the guests original fan art?

#58 User is offline   Mandy-chan 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 27 April 2004 - 11:51 AM

Originally posted by animefan

1. On your badge, do you have to put your real name? I mean I'm up for socialization but I'm kind of personal.

I just checked my badge from last year, and it did have my real name... it was in very small letters though, with the nickname in bigger letters.

But, I pre-regged, and I'm sure with pre-regging they have to have your real name on there, so they can find the badge when it comes time to pick it up.

Not sure about at-con reg, but I'm guessing that you'll have to have your real name on it...

Not sure about the fan art question though... though if you are going to the guest meet and greet, that would probably be a good time to give out your fan art... or if you get to a panel early, that is also a good time to chat with guests...

Hope that helps a little!
:sweatdrop

#59 Guest_animefan_*

• Member No.:

Posted 27 April 2004 - 11:56 AM

Thanks it helps a little but I'd like some more imput.

#60 User is offline   GDD 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 1425

Posted 27 April 2004 - 11:57 AM

I just checked my badge from last year, and it did have my real name... it was in very small letters though, with the nickname in bigger letters.  

Hey "animefan"

If memory serves, it is that way for at con as well. The larger print had your nickname in bold, with your real name below in small letter. I wish I could go back and tell you for sure from my previous badges, but they seem to be misplaced at this moment.

You might want to ask someone from the registration forum that one, since they are the ones actually printing out your badge.

And as for fanart, I don't see why they wouldn't allow you to give them that. I think some might actually like that.

DD

• 20 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users