Anime Central Forums: The Cta Trip Planner! - Anime Central Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Cta Trip Planner! Use This for those that are taking public transportation!

#61 User is offline   Ginger shark 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 59478

Posted 17 February 2011 - 11:00 AM

I take the Amtrak from where I live to Chicago. I then have friends in the area who pick me up at the train station. There has been a couple times where I then took the train out to Rosemont. It is nice how close the train station is to the convention center. It has always been super convenient for me.

#62 User is offline   The Fujoshi 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 59284

Posted 27 February 2011 - 07:10 PM

For those of you who are taking CTA if it hasn't been mentioned already:

There are buses that can go to Rosemount but the train is the only one that is the closest to the Hyatt so far. From what I looked up it's mostly Pace buses which are a different company than CTA for out of towners. You cannot use certain bus cards on Pace such as one day passes or seven day passes but regular transit cards should work. Also keep in mind that the train is 2.50 while the bus is 2.25 and that the price every time you ride if you don't have a card. Pace is a bit cheaper but you have to pay a similar price every time they do not give out buscards anymore on buses.

You get three rides, 2.25 for bus and 2.50 for train but both of them are a quarter for the second and free for the third one. If you are coming from downtown on the metra/amtrak station you can transfer to the blue line via the green line, which is a few blocks on clinton street. The blue line goes straight to Rosemount convention center. If you don't feel like walking there is a number 14 bus stop as well as a few others going East. Take any of the buses going east/towards the loop. The other ones west are going further downtown. The bus will say the trains that you are near such as the red line or blue line. If you are near the red line you can transfer to the blue line on Jackson stop and if you are near the blue line take the train going towards O'hare.

From the Blue line just walk under the bridge towards the hotels; you know you are going the right way when you see a LOT of people going the same way on Thr/Friday. I haven't seen a year where you don't see other con goers walking towards the Hyatt or under the bridges. If you don't want to walk there are shuttle buses as well as taxis.

Rules: Chicago isn't that much different than your home town or any other city so don't act so casual. Be aware and alert. It's just the same as any other new city or area. Also idk if the Blue line runs all night. One of them do not but I think the other one does. I do know that the Red line is the only one that is 24/7 in Chicago to my knowledge.

Hope this helps.
ACen 2013 Cosplay:
Hero from SMT: DS2, Emmet/Kudari from Pokemon Black and White, Roppi Izaya from Durarara, Hitoshura human form from SMT.

All the random avatars this time are from LJ and I don't own any of them. Some of the avatars are credit to aristocracy, Taku ♫ arthursandwich, noxjustxnoin, imperial-code, dojicons, narrante, dino-cookie, shiroyuki_kun, takerzmuse, and ushitora_icons at LJ. I DON'T OWN ANY OF THE ICONS.

Currently into and playing: All Megaten games, Blazblue series, and P4MU. Waiting for: Pokemon BW2 and BB3.

#63 User is offline   Denka 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 49937

Posted 21 March 2011 - 08:13 AM

View PostThe Fujoshi, on 27 February 2011 - 07:10 PM, said:

For those of you who are taking CTA if it hasn't been mentioned already:

There are buses that can go to Rosemount but the train is the only one that is the closest to the Hyatt so far. From what I looked up it's mostly Pace buses which are a different company than CTA for out of towners. You cannot use certain bus cards on Pace such as one day passes or seven day passes but regular transit cards should work. Also keep in mind that the train is 2.50 while the bus is 2.25 and that the price every time you ride if you don't have a card. Pace is a bit cheaper but you have to pay a similar price every time they do not give out buscards anymore on buses.

You get three rides, 2.25 for bus and 2.50 for train but both of them are a quarter for the second and free for the third one. If you are coming from downtown on the metra/amtrak station you can transfer to the blue line via the green line, which is a few blocks on clinton street. The blue line goes straight to Rosemount convention center. If you don't feel like walking there is a number 14 bus stop as well as a few others going East. Take any of the buses going east/towards the loop. The other ones west are going further downtown. The bus will say the trains that you are near such as the red line or blue line. If you are near the red line you can transfer to the blue line on Jackson stop and if you are near the blue line take the train going towards O'hare.

From the Blue line just walk under the bridge towards the hotels; you know you are going the right way when you see a LOT of people going the same way on Thr/Friday. I haven't seen a year where you don't see other con goers walking towards the Hyatt or under the bridges. If you don't want to walk there are shuttle buses as well as taxis.

Rules: Chicago isn't that much different than your home town or any other city so don't act so casual. Be aware and alert. It's just the same as any other new city or area. Also idk if the Blue line runs all night. One of them do not but I think the other one does. I do know that the Red line is the only one that is 24/7 in Chicago to my knowledge.

Hope this helps.

The blue line is a 24 hour train line, but be warned it can take up to half an hour for trains at really late hours (12am-4am.)
But most of you should be at the dances/sleeping at that time anyway. ;P

This post has been edited by Denka: 21 March 2011 - 08:14 AM

#64 User is offline   mer2329 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 29293

Posted 14 April 2011 - 02:26 AM

From what I looked up it's mostly Pace buses which are a different company than CTA for out of towners.

they (CTA, Metra, Pace, and Pace Paratransit [formerly CDT]) are all owned by the RTA (Regional Transit Authority)

mostly correct (the prices are correct)
you cant go in the morning and expect to get home at night as the second and third rides are transfers and must be used in 2 hours (i believe its 2 hours)

also if you take a bus you can transfer to a train (and vice versa)
heres the fare information for CTA, Pace, And Metra (metra goes by destance so this one is a form)

This post has been edited by mer2329: 14 April 2011 - 02:27 AM

True Words of Wisdom
Those Who Fall Asleep In Fruit Drink
Often Gets Punch in Nose

#65 User is offline   Zeushero 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 60043

Posted 15 May 2011 - 12:48 PM

which way of travel do you recommend?

I'll be coming by amtrak to union station and on the planner it said to either walk 2 blocks to the blueline or walk 4-6 blocks to take one train and transfer to the blueline at park station.

#66 User is offline   dorkatlarge 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 6912

Posted 17 May 2011 - 06:37 PM

View PostZeushero, on 15 May 2011 - 12:48 PM, said:

I'll be coming by amtrak to union station and on the planner it said to either walk 2 blocks to the blueline or walk 4-6 blocks to take one train and transfer to the blueline at park station.

If you arrive in Chicago at Union Station, then in order to get to Rosemont, your cheapest option will probably be finding the nearest CTA Blue Line station. I believe the nearest Blue Line stations are the Monroe station which is almost due east, and the Clark and Lake station, which is a few blocks' walk north and east. Once you reach a Blue Line station, make sure you're on a train heading toward O'Hare airport.

Bring a few small dollar bills, because you will need to purchase a small magnetized card in order to ride any CTA train or bus. Only a few stations have machines which accept credit cards. You'll pay $2.25 for any ride on CTA, and 25 cents more if you need to make one transfer in the next two hours.

#67 User is offline   MasterHavik 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 61571

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:40 PM

My CTA train ride is easy. I get on the red line on 63th (pick up some of the guys at Chinatown since our school is there) get back on the train, and ride it to Jackson. Get off at Jackson and switch to the blue line. Get on the bus line and ride out all the way to Rosemont. So easy.:P It pays to be from chitown for this event.
Ummm....I'm going to take you to court!

#68 User is offline   masterblaster 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 18442

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:03 PM

Here's a handy map of the el if anyone needs it.

http://www.chicagono...printLETTER.png

#69 User is offline   waltzofthemoon 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 16165

Posted 19 February 2014 - 06:47 PM

Has anyone parked at the Rosemont blue line parking lot for the weekend? We have a room at the Hyatt and two vehicles, so we're trying to figure out where to park the other car for the weekend. I was mainly concerned about the lot possibly being full when we get there on Thursday as I'm not sure if daily commuters would be using it or not.
2014 Cosplay
Koala [ONE PIECE]
Mom [HOMESTUCK]
Irene Adler [SHERLOCK]

#70 User is offline   Fantasia 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 63205

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:11 PM

View Postwaltzofthemoon, on 19 February 2014 - 06:47 PM, said:

Has anyone parked at the Rosemont blue line parking lot for the weekend? We have a room at the Hyatt and two vehicles, so we're trying to figure out where to park the other car for the weekend. I was mainly concerned about the lot possibly being full when we get there on Thursday as I'm not sure if daily commuters would be using it or not.

it's not free unfortunately.
I did find the page with information on rates and such. have a look at the link below.
http://www.transitch...rking/#blueline
Rosemont is the one you want to look at. Hope this helps!

This post has been edited by Fantasia: 20 February 2014 - 05:11 PM

ACen COSPLAYS 2014:

Imp Midna LoZ Twilight Princess
Crona
Mirai Kuriyama

#71 User is offline   waltzofthemoon 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 16165

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:46 PM

View PostFantasia, on 20 February 2014 - 05:11 PM, said:

it's not free unfortunately.
I did find the page with information on rates and such. have a look at the link below.
http://www.transitch...rking/#blueline
Rosemont is the one you want to look at. Hope this helps!

Yeah, I found that info earlier, I'm okay with it not being free. It's actually cheaper than the Hyatt parking. The Hyatt has a one car limit per room, which is the main problem. I was mainly wondering if anyone has personal experience on parking their car there and wondering if it usually fills up quickly or not.
2014 Cosplay
Koala [ONE PIECE]
Mom [HOMESTUCK]
Irene Adler [SHERLOCK]

#72 User is offline   Enjeru 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 64020

Posted 04 March 2014 - 08:05 PM

Just thought I'd throw in how my trips usually go:
I live in South Holland, IL, just FYI (A suburb, obviously.) about an hour's drive outside of the city.

I end up taking both the Metra and the CTA.
First, I take the Metra (Metra Electric District line) to Millennium Station, about 45 minutes depending on the stops. The station I get on is about the halfway point.
Then I walk to the Blue Line, straight down Randolph until you get the the Daley center, about half a mile up the road. The Washington stop is right in front of it. Then just take that straight to Rosemont. About 30 minutes, again, depending on the stops (it tends to slow down a little as we approach the airport.)

The first few times I went to cons, I didn't get a hotel room, so I had to ride back and forth every day, so it got a little expensive. But if you're only doing it one way each, the it's not too bad. A one-way on the metra is $4.75, and the CTA is $2.25.
Cosplay plans for ACen 2014:
Ukyo (Amnesia)
Akemi Homura (Puella Magi Madoka Magica)
Toboe (Wolf's Rain)

#73 User is offline   xxpixel8xx 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 58951

Posted 06 May 2014 - 11:43 PM

View Postdorkatlarge, on 17 May 2011 - 06:37 PM, said:

If you arrive in Chicago at Union Station, then in order to get to Rosemont, your cheapest option will probably be finding the nearest CTA Blue Line station. I believe the nearest Blue Line stations are the Monroe station which is almost due east, and the Clark and Lake station, which is a few blocks' walk north and east. Once you reach a Blue Line station, make sure you're on a train heading toward O'Hare airport.

Bring a few small dollar bills, because you will need to purchase a small magnetized card in order to ride any CTA train or bus. Only a few stations have machines which accept credit cards. You'll pay $2.25 for any ride on CTA, and 25 cents more if you need to make one transfer in the next two hours.

The closest blue line station to Union Station would be Clinton. It will be far easier to grab that one then go downtown. Its 1 block west then about 2 blocks south.

#74 User is offline   vicemage 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 10902

Posted 07 May 2014 - 07:06 AM

You can also ask within Union Station for directions on how to get to the nearest Blue Line station; that's how I found it the last time I arrived at that location.

Possibly too late now, but you can also order the transit cards online ahead of time. It took a few days for mine to arrive, so ordering today might get it in time, but now I won't have to mess with buying one at the station. I believe all stations do take credit cards now, based on what I've read about the change-over to the new transit system.

#75 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 9075

Posted 07 May 2014 - 08:46 AM

You can also buy transit cards at places such as convenience/grocery stores (used to be able to at least). Looks like something called Ventra is around now.

Where to get a Ventra card
Web: Online at ventrachicago.com
Retailers: More than 1,000 retail locations, including major drugstore and supermarket chains, currency exchanges and small businesses offer the ability to obtain and reload Ventra cards. Locations near you can be found at ventrachicago.com
Train Stations: Ventra vending machines are available at all 145 CTA 'L' stations. Cash or cards are accepted at every machine.
Phone: By calling 1-877-NOW-VENTRA (1-877-669-8368).

This post has been edited by rondo: 07 May 2014 - 08:51 AM

#76 User is offline   KungPowKirby 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 53583

Posted 07 May 2014 - 10:57 AM

Keep in mind that the card itself costs money before you even get time on it. Per cta I believe it will cost me $5 for the card + $28 for my 7 day pass. From what they said though it's also not available in as many places anymore.
I love my ACen family! Whether or not I return next year- please know I love you all! Until we meet again!

"If this body is not capable of action, I suggest new leadership is needed. I move for a vote of no confidence in Chancellor Valorum's leadership."- Queen Amidala; Star Wars: Phantom Menace

#77 User is offline   xxpixel8xx 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 07 May 2014 - 05:18 PM

View PostKungPowKirby, on 07 May 2014 - 10:57 AM, said:

Keep in mind that the card itself costs money before you even get time on it. Per cta I believe it will cost me $5 for the card + $28 for my 7 day pass. From what they said though it's also not available in as many places anymore.

They are phasing out the magnetic strip cards and replacing them with the Ventra passes completely. Also if you look on the back of your bank card/credit card and it has blink with a little signal like icon you can use it to get on the trains. It does a 5 dollar activation also though. Just take your card/wallet and place it against the ventra pass scanner on the turn styles. You can then just use your card and it will take it directly out of your bank account super easy. Phase out is June 1st btw.

#78 User is offline   Wafflashizzles 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 62412

Posted 07 May 2014 - 11:09 PM

View Postxxpixel8xx, on 07 May 2014 - 05:18 PM, said:

They are phasing out the magnetic strip cards and replacing them with the Ventra passes completely. Also if you look on the back of your bank card/credit card and it has blink with a little signal like icon you can use it to get on the trains. It does a 5 dollar activation also though. Just take your card/wallet and place it against the ventra pass scanner on the turn styles. You can then just use your card and it will take it directly out of your bank account super easy. Phase out is June 1st btw.

I saw a bunch of signs saying that you can't reload magnetic cards effective a few days ago (AKA may 1st.)

I know a few of the stations i ride to don't even have the mag strip card machines anymore.

#79 User is offline   xxpixel8xx 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 08 May 2014 - 10:49 AM

View PostWafflashizzles, on 07 May 2014 - 11:09 PM, said:

I saw a bunch of signs saying that you can't reload magnetic cards effective a few days ago (AKA may 1st.)

I know a few of the stations i ride to don't even have the mag strip card machines anymore.

Your right, May 1st is when they are totally removing the ability to purchase them. Then the machines to use them will be removed June 1st.

This post has been edited by xxpixel8xx: 08 May 2014 - 10:49 AM

#80 User is offline   vicemage 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 10902

Posted 08 May 2014 - 05:48 PM

View PostKungPowKirby, on 07 May 2014 - 10:57 AM, said:

If you buy it online, it's free. I had to pay $5 to have it sent to me, but that was for an initial $5 of value loaded on the card, that I'll be able to use to pay for rides while there.

#81 User is offline   dorkatlarge 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 6912

Posted 08 May 2014 - 08:42 PM

The Ventra cards are more durable than the old flimsy plastic cards. They store value just like the old cards. If you want, they *can* be linked to your bank account like a debit card. However, I wouldn't recommend this option unless you need to use CTA trains and Chicago/suburb buses every day.

I had some trouble getting my Ventra card to work with buses. If you need to use a bus, hold the card *sideways* in front of the sensor, and wait a moment. They work better at entrances to train stations.

I checked... the multi-day CTA passes still exist. I don't think they still look like the old flimsy cards pictured on CTA's site. However, they work the same. Just keep in mind that you'll still need to pay $5 for a new Ventra card.

One last thing: the current train station alerts say that at least one entrance for the Blue Line Cumberland station is closed. It happens to be the station just east of Rosemont, and near a Mariano's grocery store.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users