Anime Central Forums: The Cta Trip Planner! - Anime Central Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Cta Trip Planner! Use This for those that are taking public transportation!

#31 User is offline   ~Sarah-Chan~ 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 17387

Posted 27 April 2009 - 10:38 PM

Just to let everyone know that train fares are $2.25 and a one day fun pass is $5.75 and these are not taxed. I would advise if you are coming from Megabus or some other form of transportation to get to the Blue Line just pay the $2.25 fare. Paying for a weekend pass is useless if you only use it twice. The same goes for the one day fun pass. Just pay the single fare each time and it will be cheaper that way (I know everyone is trying to save money these days)

I plan on taking the Blue Line out there since I have a U-Pass and since Im not too far from the Line itself, but so far the trains have been running smoothly but that can easily change what with the way the CTA is constantly repairing crap -____-

Also just to give you guys a good idea, a trip on the Blue Line (on a good day with no construction) can take anywhere from 30-40 minutes. If there is construction between two stops you sometimes have to get off the train and onto a shuttle bus to get to the next stop, but as far as I know there hasn't been any need for that. You just go slower between two stops if the shuttle option doesn't happen. But just plan your CTA trip wisely and take the travel time into consideration. Once you get to Rosemont its about half a mile from the Hyatt.

Hope all this helps!

#32 User is offline   Smokey 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 6522

Posted 28 April 2009 - 12:39 AM

View PostSarah, on Apr 27 2009, 11:38 PM, said:

If there is construction between two stops you sometimes have to get off the train and onto a shuttle bus to get to the next stop, but as far as I know there hasn't been any need for that. You just go slower between two stops if the shuttle option doesn't happen.

The CTA does have some work planned, but it looks like they'll be done in plenty of time for the con.
Job #1 and Job #2 explain it all.
I wouldn't worry too much about the Blue Line not working. That's the city's only mass transit line to the airport. In the highly unlikely event things get that tight in the next couple of weeks, this train is going to be the last one they shut down.
The Special Needs & ADA Compliance Department is dedicated to making sure that nobody has to miss anything that ACen has to offer because of a physical challenge or medical condition.

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Compliments? Complaints?

Visit us at http://acen.org/cont...-ada-compliance or send an email to adacompliance-dh@acen.org

Number of ACens attended: 15, Number of years on staff: 6, 2010 Staff MVP Award

#33 User is offline   ~Sarah-Chan~ 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 17387

Posted 28 April 2009 - 02:12 AM

View PostDave, on Apr 28 2009, 01:39 AM, said:

The CTA does have some work planned, but it looks like they'll be done in plenty of time for the con.
Job #1 and Job #2 explain it all.
I wouldn't worry too much about the Blue Line not working. That's the city's only mass transit line to the airport. In the highly unlikely event things get that tight in the next couple of weeks, this train is going to be the last one they shut down.

Those were my thoughts as well. I didnt think it would have construction that really hindered the transportation process.

#34 User is offline   d5t 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 4331

Posted 07 May 2009 - 05:49 PM

View PostSarah, on Apr 28 2009, 08:12 AM, said:

Those were my thoughts as well. I didnt think it would have construction that really hindered the transportation process.

Just another update if you're coming into Chicago via the blue line (and back to Rosemont, also)- there is indeed planned work on the weekend of ACen: http://www.transitchicago.com/travel_infor...px?AlertId=1961

#35 User is offline   www.ProdigyGM.com 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 29879

Posted 22 May 2009 - 09:25 PM

lol in the future, avoid the blue line,lol

#36 User is offline   Jguy 

• Elite Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Elite
  • Member No.: 18261

Posted 06 December 2009 - 07:17 PM

Hm, I type in Geneva Metra in Geneva (closest Metra stop to me) and select the Rosemont Convention Center and click Plan and it tells me that it can't submit my request....;_;

Must be entering something wrong.

Huuuuur, I am planning my trip for 2010 not 2009, problem solved. Still gives me a whacked out route, from Geneva it's having me go all the way to Ogilvie and then back the other way on a Metra train....>.<

I think it might be easier for me to drive >.<
Go ahead and stop by my website: My Site

jguy@jguy:~$ apt-get cookie
apt-get: cookie not found
jguy@jguy:~$ apt-get cake
apt-get: cake not found[/font][/center]

#37 User is offline   Carnage_Black3 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 9167

Posted 01 March 2010 - 03:06 AM

At least the Blue Line isn't screwed up this time around. So the blue line won't be like it was last time.
ACen 10 Reg Staffer
C-C-C-C-Combobreaker!

ACen 09 Gofer
ACen 08 Gofer
ACen 07 Gofer
ACen 06 Gofer
ACen 05 Gofer

#38 User is offline   obakasan 

• Exhibit Space ADH
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Assistant Department Head
  • Member No.: 2555

Posted 01 March 2010 - 12:06 PM

Just about every time I've tried to use that planner it tells me it can't...

Evidently best for getting around once you are actually IN the city or immediate surrounding areas.

And there were a few times I looked that it was a shorter walk to where I wanted to go than to the bus stop or station (which sometimes was even in the opposite direction...)

And they wonder why Public Transportation hasn't caught on...
This space intentionally left blank.

#39 User is offline   MOMO2 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 49830

Posted 21 March 2010 - 11:52 AM

So first time doing this and I will have to take the North Central Service only down side is no weekend train. Grayslake area is were I am from and I was wondering on taxi service back.
The only thing to fear is yourself.

#40 User is offline   StarRockerX 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 17705

Posted 06 April 2010 - 08:29 PM

Yes totally!! My dad drives me.

But because he has a wedding to go to on Sunday I need a new way.

I hope to the acen heavens that I run into other acen peeps!!

Maybe if anyone needs it, they should meet at a certain blue line platform :'O

Ride the train like one big happy family!
A Different Kind of Rockstar
I am a youtuber, anime junkie, pokemon enthusiast, and a normaler :)
Twitter / / Youtube / / Instagram

#41 User is offline   redx1 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 20031

Posted 06 April 2010 - 08:48 PM

Google maps public transit works the best for me. Then again, I've never used PT in the suburbs so I have no idea how it is. I can't imagine it's too good lol
~~

#42 User is offline   StarRockerX 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 17705

Posted 06 April 2010 - 08:58 PM

I can easily get a ride to the orangeline and the city planner worked because my school is right next to the orange line so it told me just the right place to go!

And now all I need is the earliest time that everything is happening on Sunday.
A Different Kind of Rockstar
I am a youtuber, anime junkie, pokemon enthusiast, and a normaler :)
Twitter / / Youtube / / Instagram

#43 User is offline   Arachne 

• Guest Handler Staff
  • Pip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 3338

Posted 01 May 2010 - 02:30 AM

View PostMOMO2, on Mar 21 2010, 06:52 PM, said:

So first time doing this and I will have to take the North Central Service only down side is no weekend train. Grayslake area is were I am from and I was wondering on taxi service back.

If you don't mind a slightly different route, you should be able to use public transit to get home.

1. Take the blue line from Rosemont to Montrose.
2. When you leave the Montrose station, you'll see an overpass down the road in one direction. Start walking in that direction.
3. Keep going until you reach a second overpass. (It looks like two-ish blocks on a map. Google says it's a 6 minute walk.)
4. Walk up the steps on the near side of this overpass and you'll come to a train platform. This is the Mayfair station on the Milwaukee District North line. Take the train to Grayslake.

The MD-N Grayslake station is a different station from the one on the NCS line, so make your ride knows where to pick you up. Also, make you sure aren't leaving too late, because you probably don't want to be waiting around at the Mayfair station after dark- it's literally just a platform.

If you've already come up with a different solution feel free to ignore me. ^_^

View Postredx1, on Apr 7 2010, 03:48 AM, said:

Google maps public transit works the best for me. Then again, I've never used PT in the suburbs so I have no idea how it is. I can't imagine it's too good lol

Really? It's been failing me on bus routes like whoa. It keeps telling me to walk.

These are all useful references:

RTA system map
CTA online system map
Metra system map

Google is good for figuring out exact locations, though.

my  is a REMOTE CONTROL

View Postangrypata said:

BLAAARGH BLOOD AND BABY INTESTINES ZETSUBOU ZETSUBOU HEY IS MY EYELINER OKAY

#44 User is offline   Gaming_Gurl14 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 5600

Posted 03 May 2010 - 05:42 PM

Yes I'll actually be jumping on the Blue Line after school Friday afternoon since I've got a final that day. If I see anybody goin to ACEN and I've got leftover cakes from my final they'll get yummies!

Lol but that's only if there are people goin around 3 or 4 pm.

#45 User is offline   mer2329 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 29293

Posted 22 October 2010 - 12:43 PM

the CTA has a new trip planer called goroo (goroo.com)
although their old one still works. goroo incorporates driving directions for the new i go cars.
I would recommend this instead of the one listed
im not sue if this works out of the chicagoland area
True Words of Wisdom
Those Who Fall Asleep In Fruit Drink
Often Gets Punch in Nose

#46 User is offline   Snow_Storm 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 58697

Posted 05 November 2010 - 07:40 AM

Thanks for the advice on taking Chicago's public transit. I do have a few questions:

-How much does a 7-day pass cost? Can passes be used for both trains and buses?

-At what time does the CTA end services? I heard sometime around 3 in the morning.
ACen 2014 Cosplay List (Final)

Goat-Kun (Umineko no Naku Koro Ni) - Friday
Garterbelt (Panty and Stocking) - Saturday
Coach (Left 4 Dead 2) - Thursay (maybe), Saturday

#47 User is offline   Smokey 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 November 2010 - 09:20 AM

View PostSnow_Storm, on 05 November 2010 - 07:40 AM, said:

-How much does a 7-day pass cost? Can passes be used for both trains and buses?

Everything you need to know about fares can be found here. http://www.transitch...llschedule.aspx

View PostSnow_Storm, on 05 November 2010 - 07:40 AM, said:

-At what time does the CTA end services? I heard sometime around 3 in the morning.

It depends on the route. Some run all night (Called Night Owl Service.) Here's more info.
http://www.transitch.../schedules.aspx

If the answers you need aren't on these two pages, you should be able to find them through the home page.
http://www.transitch...on/default.aspx
The Special Needs & ADA Compliance Department is dedicated to making sure that nobody has to miss anything that ACen has to offer because of a physical challenge or medical condition.

Visit us at http://acen.org/cont...-ada-compliance or send an email to adacompliance-dh@acen.org

#48 User is offline   Pashy-chan 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 16936

Posted 10 January 2011 - 02:07 AM

Both the CTA blue lines and red lines run all night long~ The blueline of course is the one you will be using to reach the Rosemont stop.

Although this may be a bit off topic, I just wanted to say that as a student who rides both the blue line and red line on a daily basis, do make sure you stay aware of your surrondings while on the train.

Lately in Chicago, there has been a rise in theft and violence while riding on the "El" trains. As the CTA is aware of this problem, the conductors now often announce safety protocols, advicing the passengers to not only keep a strong eye on their possessions, but to refrain from using any technical devices while on the train, especially cell phones. As it is currently winter, it is likely this problem will grow as the season changes. Although time has no bearing on when these acts can occur (I first hand have seen a mugging as early as noon on a crowded train car), I would not advise riding the train by night fall. Be sure to always travel in groups. When choosing a car, be sure to be as close to the conductor as possible. Lastly, do not doubt the passer-by effect. Even when surrounded by others, the chances of you being pick-pocketed or mugged likely doesn't shift...

Not that I want to scare anyone out of taking the "El"! @ w @ It's just.. the truth you know? As a victim who knows more victims than she can count, I do believe this is something con-goers must take into consideration when choosing to use public transportation.

This post has been edited by Pashy-chan: 10 January 2011 - 02:09 AM

ACen 2011: Cosplays have been determined-ish!!!!

Iris - Pokemon Black/White ::: 75%
Female Wario ::: 10%
Ganguro Gal ::: 90%

~TekoMuto Fangirl~

Hello, my name is Poshy...

#49 User is offline   MsLovelyCookie 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 57517

Posted 10 January 2011 - 12:43 PM

Riding the train at night is no danger as long as there are some people in the same cart you are in and if the train is free of a bad smell. There was plenty of times I have gotten on a cart from O'Hare that smelled because of a homeless person, EW!!!! smelled like a zoo. What I do when I get off work is go to the cart I know the train will stop by and sit near other workers so I feel more safe. If possible sit were you can see the whole cart and if you don't feel safe try to go to the next cart or in my case the smell is too much leave.
I'm Just A Girl In The World
Take A Good Look At Me
Just Your Typical Prototype...

Registration Staff: 2012-2014

#50 User is offline   DarkBebi 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 58893

Posted 10 January 2011 - 02:15 PM

That is some scary stuff... Maybe that is why Wisconsin didn't want the trains being built? So the question is, as long as I turn in say... a knife into the CSA or what ever it is called(the people in charge of safety at the convention), could I get it back when I leave? Just for protection of course?
Acen 2013 Cosplay

League of Legends

[*]Head Hunter Master Yi [0% Complete]
[*]Darkforge Jarvan IV [0% Complete]

"Some men just want to watch the world burn"

#51 User is offline   Smokey 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 January 2011 - 05:29 PM

View PostDarkBebi, on 10 January 2011 - 02:15 PM, said:

That is some scary stuff... Maybe that is why Wisconsin didn't want the trains being built? So the question is, as long as I turn in say... a knife into the CSA or what ever it is called(the people in charge of safety at the convention), could I get it back when I leave? Just for protection of course?

This does bear repeating every year, PLEASE DO NOT BRING ANY REAL WEAPONS TO THE CONVENTION FOR ANY REASON! Not only is it unsafe, it could also result in your spending the weekend in the Rosemont PD lockup on a concealed weapon charge. If it's absolutely vital for you to carry a blade, leave it in your room or vehicle until you go back home.

Oh, and it's IRT (Incident Response Team) that you're thinking of.

#52 User is offline   Pashy-chan 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 10 January 2011 - 05:35 PM

View PostMsLovelyCookie, on 10 January 2011 - 12:43 PM, said:

Riding the train at night is no danger as long as there are some people in the same cart you are in and if the train is free of a bad smell. There was plenty of times I have gotten on a cart from O'Hare that smelled because of a homeless person, EW!!!! smelled like a zoo. What I do when I get off work is go to the cart I know the train will stop by and sit near other workers so I feel more safe. If possible sit were you can see the whole cart and if you don't feel safe try to go to the next cart or in my case the smell is too much leave.

Honestly speaking though.. Being on a cart that has other passengers is in no way a preventive measure against theft. Of course it helps, you most definately should never be on a cart alone! But most recorded thefts, from what I hear, have happened between midday and night and in front of several witnesses. (I know this as my father works for the CTA himself ^^; )

In my situation, I first hand saw someone attacked and threatened with a gun in a car that was almost filled, and no one didn't anything to stop it, likely because they were in fear for theirselves. I know I certainly was. News like this is not only is spreading across my campus, but the through the local airwaves as well. Riding the train at night only increases the likely hood of these acts happening. If you're up for taking risks, by all means.. but the homelesss population is the least of CTA's problems right now.

This post has been edited by Pashy-chan: 10 January 2011 - 05:36 PM

~TekoMuto Fangirl~

#53 User is offline   MsLovelyCookie 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 January 2011 - 05:58 PM

View PostPashy-chan, on 10 January 2011 - 05:35 PM, said:

Honestly speaking though.. Being on a cart that has other passengers is in no way a preventive measure against theft. Of course it helps, you most definately should never be on a cart alone! But most recorded thefts, from what I hear, have happened between midday and night and in front of several witnesses. (I know this as my father works for the CTA himself ^^; )

In my situation, I first hand saw someone attacked and threatened with a gun in a car that was almost filled, and no one didn't anything to stop it, likely because they were in fear for theirselves. I know I certainly was. News like this is not only is spreading across my campus, but the through the local airwaves as well. Riding the train at night only increases the likely hood of these acts happening. If you're up for taking risks, by all means.. but the homelesss population is the least of CTA's problems right now.

That's was for what line again, how long ago? I have take the blueline to O'hare for, anyways you should worry about certain homeless people. When I got off the train once, a girl, who looked 18 asked to borrow my phone cause her battery died and told me that there was this homeless guy who was staring at her so she moved to a different location. Then it was just her and the homeless guy and he did the unpredictable and started jerking off in front of her. She got off quickly and tried to call for a ride battery died and my sister was willing to wait until her ride came.

The only thing I have seen on the news was a man fell on the tracks on Saturday night.

This post has been edited by MsLovelyCookie: 10 January 2011 - 06:00 PM

Take A Good Look At Me

#54 User is offline   Pashy-chan 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 10 January 2011 - 06:08 PM

View PostMsLovelyCookie, on 10 January 2011 - 05:58 PM, said:

That's was for what line again, how long ago? I have take the blueline to O'hare for, anyways you should worry about certain homeless people. When I got off the train once, a girl, who looked 18 asked to borrow my phone cause her battery died and told me that there was this homeless guy who was staring at her so she moved to a different location. Then it was just her and the homeless guy and he did the unpredictable and started jerking off in front of her. She got off quickly and tried to call for a ride battery died and my sister was willing to wait until her ride came.

The only thing I have seen on the news was a man fell on the tracks on Saturday night.

That took place some time last October, on the blue line as we approached the Pulaski stop. None of us knew truly if he had a weapon on him, but it was his primary threat. It ended with the victim being kicked to the ground and having both his phone and laptop taken. Then just this December, I have had my wallet stolen from someone sharing a seat next to me. I have 2 friends that have also been pick-pocketed, and one who was attacked, all on the blueline. Not only this, but as safety protocol from the school, we recieve e-mail messages (Or SMS's) every time such an event occurs. It is quite often. Since arriving back in school, I have noticed that on several of the lines, the conductor will adress this issue. I have heard it twice on the blue line when boarding from the Forest Park stop, and multiple times while riding the brown and red.

~TekoMuto Fangirl~

#55 User is offline   Pashy-chan 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 10 January 2011 - 06:17 PM

I'm not really here to tell a story.. Just to state a fact. Whether it be from the "creepers" or "thieves," using the blueline does have it's risk factors. Just be sure to always stay aware of your surroundings, and take any measures that will increase your safety while riding the El. I would definately not advise riding alone or at night, as those are two strong factors that play into your safety.

This post has been edited by Pashy-chan: 10 January 2011 - 06:18 PM

~TekoMuto Fangirl~

#56 User is offline   MsLovelyCookie 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 January 2011 - 06:34 PM

Well I say we have to do what we know protects us then again I look like I can kick butt with my emotionless face, LOL.
Take A Good Look At Me

#57 User is offline   mer2329 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 10 January 2011 - 07:11 PM

View PostPashy-chan, on 10 January 2011 - 02:07 AM, said:

Both the CTA blue lines and red lines run all night long~ The blueline of course is the one you will be using to reach the Rosemont stop.

Although this may be a bit off topic, I just wanted to say that as a student who rides both the blue line and red line on a daily basis, do make sure you stay aware of your surrondings while on the train.

Lately in Chicago, there has been a rise in theft and violence while riding on the "El" trains. As the CTA is aware of this problem, the conductors now often announce safety protocols, advicing the passengers to not only keep a strong eye on their possessions, but to refrain from using any technical devices while on the train, especially cell phones. As it is currently winter, it is likely this problem will grow as the season changes. Although time has no bearing on when these acts can occur (I first hand have seen a mugging as early as noon on a crowded train car), I would not advise riding the train by night fall. Be sure to always travel in groups. When choosing a car, be sure to be as close to the conductor as possible. Lastly, do not doubt the passer-by effect. Even when surrounded by others, the chances of you being pick-pocketed or mugged likely doesn't shift...

Not that I want to scare anyone out of taking the "El"! @ w @ It's just.. the truth you know? As a victim who knows more victims than she can count, I do believe this is something con-goers must take into consideration when choosing to use public transportation.

I would like to add

If someone suspicious is present on the train don't be afraid to use the emergency communication system

There is one located in each car in various places (dependent on the Seat organization [which is mostly dependant on the train line])
True Words of Wisdom
Often Gets Punch in Nose

#58 User is offline   DarkBebi 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 58893

Posted 10 January 2011 - 07:51 PM

Well I for one am not going to be going on the train for anything. No exploring for me...
Acen 2013 Cosplay

League of Legends

[*]Head Hunter Master Yi [0% Complete]
[*]Darkforge Jarvan IV [0% Complete]

"Some men just want to watch the world burn"

#59 User is offline   mer2329 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 21 January 2011 - 10:00 AM

im posting the CTA Safty Guide (entitled "If You See Something Say Somthing") because people seem to be concerned about their safety

If You See Something Say Somthing

heres a picture of the button i mentioned in an earlier post
Posted Image
its from the orange line

This post has been edited by mer2329: 21 January 2011 - 10:00 AM

True Words of Wisdom
Often Gets Punch in Nose

#60 User is offline   MeltedGeneral 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 19281

Posted 11 February 2011 - 07:30 PM

The CTA recently implemented a long-awaited Train Track so you can minimize as much time waiting on the Blue Line platforms as much as possible. Unlike the Bus Tracker, there's no SMS or phone app to get info faster but there is the mobile site. If you or a friend has a smartphone with a decent data connection, bookmark the train tracker page (full or mobile site).

Link for both Bus and Train Trackers: CTA Trackers

For the curious, expect Blue Line trains to go around mostly the following speeds: 50/60mph, 35mph. Their Slow Zone Elimination map shows 25-15mph at a small point.
ACen 2012/2013:
TF2 Medic
Madoka Magica: Male Madoka
ACen 2014:
Madoka Magica: Male Madoka
Danganronpa: Chihiro Fujisaki
Touhou Project: Aya Shameimaru (Male)

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users