Anime Central Forums: Acen: The Ultimate Otaku Quest 08 - Anime Central Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Acen: The Ultimate Otaku Quest 08 10 groups of 8 ACen Otaku will set out on the quest of a lifetime...

#1 User is offline   superdrive0 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 9046

Posted 17 March 2008 - 03:22 PM

NOTICE: All Otaku Quest teams are full!

However, we are accepting back-up teams, in case one of our teams doesn't show. We had four teams not show up last year, so it is a possibility that you will get in. Just send me your registration and you will be put on a waiting list. You will then have to show up at the first meeting to see whether we have an opening, and if one of our teams doesn't show then you're in.

-----------------------------------

10 groups of 8 ACen Otaku will set out on the quest of a lifetime...
this is... ACen: The Ultimate Otaku Quest!

Form a team with seven of your friends, and then you can begin your weekend long quest, in search of hilarious videos and items.

Think you can snatch a clip of a row of cosplayers doing the Can Can, or find and bring us a bottle of Ramune? If you participate in this event, you'll have to complete these and other amusing tasks, insuring a good time.

Where can I sign up?

Good Question.

All teams participating in this event will need a digital camera with video capabilities that can export digitally (USB prefered, if you have another method check with me), and can take good quality videos (things like camera phones are not
allowed.)

Your team will also have to be staying for the whole length of the convention (Friday morning through Sunday afternoon.)

Teams need to consist of eight people. If you would like to enter but do not have 7 other friends going with you, then you can still do so, but you will be paired up to work with other contestants that are also in need of team mates a great way to make new friends! :) (Please note that this will require you to spend a lot of con time with people you just met, so please only sign up if you are actually willing to do so.)

Registration is done on a "first come, first serve" basis, so only the first 10 teams to apply will be able to participate in this event.
Priority is also given to those that can provide a video camera.

However, even if you are not participating, you should still come to watch the results, and see all of the comical things these teams have found!

To participate in this event, please fill out and send the following form to alchemy.geek@gmail.com. Put "ACen Otaku Quest" plus the name of your group (if applicable) as the subject.

ACen: The Ultimate Otaku Quest! Registration Form

Group name: (If not a full group, this may be changed when we combine teams. If signing up individually leave this blank.)

Number of people in group:

Our Group has a video camera that can export digitally through USB: (Y/N)
If "no", please state what type of camera and export device you have.

Team member's names and ages (please include real names as well, we won't post
them if you ask us not to):

Small bio about each member:

Also, please include a photo of each member (headshots please)

I will try to reply to all emails as quickly as possible. If you do not receive a reply within a week then I probably didn't receive your email. A list of teams will be posted on here once all teams and details are finalized. Edit: I will change the registration info once the teams are all full. Right now there are still spots open, so please apply!

Edit: First prize will be free badges to ACen 2009! Runner up prizes TBA.

NOTE:
Staff are not eligible to win prizes but may be on teams.
Teams may consist of no more than 2 staff members.
Staff members must participate as if they were a regular attendee (aka staff cannot get pictures in staff only areas)
Staff must fulfill their obligation to their department first and foremost. (Which means you might be disadvantaged if you are a staff member on a team)

Edit: 3/23/08 - Slight change made to reg form. If you have already submitted a form to me it's fine (this is only one team at the moment, and I have already checked the new info with them), everyone else please submit the new form when registering. Thanks

Edit: 4/16/08 - I've been getting a lot of questions lately, so I thought I'd just clarify some things.
1) Yes, we still need teams, so don't hesitate to sign up!
2) No, not every team member has to be there the whole time. We prefer it if all members can make it to the first meeting, but if that is not possible for your team you can still participate as long as one member can show up. We would like your whole team to come at some point though, just so we know they actually exist. :P

#2 User is offline   Alkaren Hyralt 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 6130

Posted 17 March 2008 - 04:14 PM

How long does this usually take?
-Zac /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
ACen 2007 - Present - Forums Manager
ACen 2012 - Guest Relations Handlers DH
ACen 2010, 2011 - Guest Relations Operations ADH
ACen 2008, 2009 - Main Programming ADH
ACen 2006, 2007 - Main Programming Staff
Drunken Otaku Syndicate Member - "This is what happens when you give me vodka that tastes like water!"
Alcoholic Hunter X of the ROS Order
AIM: Alkaren Hyralt / Facebook: alkaren
Questions about forums registration or in general please e-mail us

#3 User is offline   superdrive0 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 17 March 2008 - 05:01 PM

You have all of Friday and Saturday, it is up to your own discretion how much time you spend working on it. We just give you the list Friday morning, and then you are free to spend the rest of the con finding everything whenever you have free time. I assure you there are enough things to find to keep you busy though. :)

#4 User is offline   Gin~Gin 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 9566

Posted 17 March 2008 - 09:33 PM

View PostAlkaren Hyralt, on Mar 17 2008, 06:14 PM, said:

How long does this usually take?

In other words, it takes the whole weekend...
Prepare for trouble!
And make it double!
To protect the world from devastation
To unite all peoples within our nation
To denounce the evils of truth and love
To extend our reach to the stars above

Team Rocket
Blast off at the speed of light!
Surrender now or prepare to fight!

#5 User is offline   Alkaren Hyralt 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 6130

Posted 18 March 2008 - 11:09 AM

Hmm. I'm pretty sure I'd be too busy during the weekend to play this, though it sounds like fun. :[

Good luck to those who do. :)
-Zac /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
ACen 2007 - Present - Forums Manager
ACen 2012 - Guest Relations Handlers DH
ACen 2010, 2011 - Guest Relations Operations ADH
ACen 2008, 2009 - Main Programming ADH
ACen 2006, 2007 - Main Programming Staff
Drunken Otaku Syndicate Member - "This is what happens when you give me vodka that tastes like water!"
Alcoholic Hunter X of the ROS Order
AIM: Alkaren Hyralt / Facebook: alkaren
Questions about forums registration or in general please e-mail us

#6 User is offline   AdaK 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 17315

Posted 18 March 2008 - 11:58 AM

Ok, I have a video camera and a Digital photo camera! The thing is...Our group right now is maybe 3-4 people. I still have to get confirmation from the others. Should I wait till I can get as many as possible or should I submit an app. now, to get a place? Would I be able to add more people to my group later?
Goals for ACEN 2009:::
1. Go to Sailor Moon Meet Up; Fangirl over cosplays
2. Go to Revolutionary Girl Utena Meet Up; Fangirl over cosplays
3. IRT!!!!

#7 User is offline   Gin~Gin 

• Pip

Posted 18 March 2008 - 12:31 PM

View PostAdaK, on Mar 18 2008, 01:58 PM, said:

Ok, I have a video camera and a Digital photo camera! The thing is...Our group right now is maybe 3-4 people. I still have to get confirmation from the others. Should I wait till I can get as many as possible or should I submit an app. now, to get a place? Would I be able to add more people to my group later?

I would say go ahead and send in your app, just give us an estimate of how many people you think you will end up with in the e-mail. No one is guaranteed a place, it is first come first serve. :) I'm not sure how many we have entered so far, but it's better to get in ASAP! :)

And a photo camera won't be needed, the items are only video this year. Please make sure that your video camera has capabilities to connect to a computer!

View PostAlkaren Hyralt, on Mar 18 2008, 01:09 PM, said:

Hmm. I'm pretty sure I'd be too busy during the weekend to play this, though it sounds like fun. :[

Good luck to those who do. :)

Aww, bummer. Well I'm sure you will have fun doing other things!! But you should still come watch the final presentation on Sunday, where we will be showing the clips the teams have collected!
Prepare for trouble!
And make it double!

Team Rocket

#8 User is offline   AdaK 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 17315

Posted 18 March 2008 - 12:32 PM

View PostGin~Gin, on Mar 18 2008, 01:31 PM, said:

I would say go ahead and send in your app, just give us an estimate of how many people you think you will end up with in the e-mail. No one is guaranteed a place, it is first come first serve. :) I'm not sure how many we have entered so far, but it's better to get in ASAP! :)

And a photo camera won't be needed, the items are only video this year. Please make sure that your video camera has capabilities to connect to a computer!

Aww, bummer. Well I'm sure you will have fun doing other things!! But you should still come watch the final presentation on Sunday, where we will be showing the clips the teams have collected!

Righto, Ill get on it!
Oh, ps, do you want headshots now or later??
Goals for ACEN 2009:::
1. Go to Sailor Moon Meet Up; Fangirl over cosplays
2. Go to Revolutionary Girl Utena Meet Up; Fangirl over cosplays
3. IRT!!!!

#9 User is offline   Gin~Gin 

• Pip

Posted 18 March 2008 - 01:56 PM

View PostAdaK, on Mar 18 2008, 02:32 PM, said:

Righto, Ill get on it!
Oh, ps, do you want headshots now or later??

The sooner the better, it's nicer if you can include as much stuff as possible in one e-mail. :) That way you won't flood up her inbox as much - the person actually recieving the registration emails is superdrive0.
Prepare for trouble!
And make it double!

Team Rocket

#10 User is offline   Jam-Kiske 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 10878

Posted 18 March 2008 - 02:13 PM

This sounds fun!
I'll have to talk to my friends and see if we'd all be up to it... hopefully my friend'll have the cord she needs to connect her camera to the computer by acen.
Oops can't afford to go to ACEN anymore! >:

#11 User is offline   Gin~Gin 

• Pip

Posted 18 March 2008 - 02:55 PM

View PostJam-Kiske, on Mar 18 2008, 04:13 PM, said:

This sounds fun!
I'll have to talk to my friends and see if we'd all be up to it... hopefully my friend'll have the cord she needs to connect her camera to the computer by acen.

That'd be great, still looking for teams! :)
Prepare for trouble!
And make it double!

Team Rocket

#12 User is offline   Fire Claimer 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 9715
  • Location:In a warehouse full of dust, fighting a red lotus radical.

Posted 22 March 2008 - 12:21 PM

WHOOOOT! THANKS EMMA! :heart:
2015:
(Sat) Emerald Sustrai - RWBY (98%)
(Fri) Korra (Original Ver) - Legend of Korra (50%)
Hikaru Shidou (Final Armor)- Magic Knights Rayearth (70%)
Sara - Over The Garden Wall (50%)
Shonky Honks - Ni No Kuni (50%)

#13 User is offline   Alicorn 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 8346

Posted 22 March 2008 - 01:44 PM

Question on formats: will you have a computer with an IEEE 1394 (FireWire/iLink) port? It's pretty common for camcorders to output video through that, rather than the slower USB connection, so it may be worth it to dig up a desktop with the appropriate port.

One of my teammates from last time really wants to do it again, so we might sign up if we can find a few more people to group with. I dunno, though X3 I just wanted to put the FireWire thing out there; I know last year a lot of people just used the video function of their still cameras so that all the data would be on the camera's memory card, but since it's going to be video-only this year, you might see more camcorders.

#14 User is offline   Gin~Gin 

• Pip

Posted 22 March 2008 - 10:04 PM

View PostAlicorn, on Mar 22 2008, 03:44 PM, said:

Question on formats: will you have a computer with an IEEE 1394 (FireWire/iLink) port? It's pretty common for camcorders to output video through that, rather than the slower USB connection, so it may be worth it to dig up a desktop with the appropriate port.

One of my teammates from last time really wants to do it again, so we might sign up if we can find a few more people to group with. I dunno, though X3 I just wanted to put the FireWire thing out there; I know last year a lot of people just used the video function of their still cameras so that all the data would be on the camera's memory card, but since it's going to be video-only this year, you might see more camcorders.

Well, we don't even know what a IEEE 1394 port is, so probably no. We are asking everyone to use a USB connection. We have no memory card readers, but if you have a converter that connects via USB, that's fine. We're not entirely tech savvy, so... yeah. x3 So please have a USB-connectable way to upload your clips. That's all we can guarantee will work, and we are using a pretty basic laptop. Thanks! :)
Prepare for trouble!
And make it double!

Team Rocket

#15 User is offline   Alicorn 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 8346

Posted 23 March 2008 - 02:43 AM

(that's why I included the most common brand names, lol...if you had a relatively recent desktop, it should include one in the myriad ports on the thing; since you're using a laptop, it probably doesn't)

#16 User is offline   superdrive0 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 23 March 2008 - 04:19 PM

I am checking on the firewire thing, I'll let you know as soon as I find out. Right now, as was stated, we only know for sure that usb hook ups will work.
And using the video function on a regular digital camera is fine of course, as long as it can export to our computer. Only really low quality recorders, such as cell phones, can't be used.

I hope you guys will decided to participate again ^^

#17 User is offline   Gin~Gin 

• Pip

Posted 26 March 2008 - 12:06 PM

View PostAlicorn, on Mar 23 2008, 04:43 AM, said:

(that's why I included the most common brand names, lol...if you had a relatively recent desktop, it should include one in the myriad ports on the thing; since you're using a laptop, it probably doesn't)

Lol, well, I hadn't heard of either of the brandnames, either. x3

And yeah... it's not really logical to lug a desktop around a con. xD But we will check on it. Probably not though.
Prepare for trouble!
And make it double!

Team Rocket

#18 User is offline   Choo 

• Pip
  • Group: Purge for Inactivity
  • Member No.: 6817

Posted 31 March 2008 - 11:30 AM

i am very interested in this but do not have a team yet ^_^ so if any one needs an extra player then just get in contact with me!
Posted Image

#19 User is offline   Kasemei 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 5705

Posted 31 March 2008 - 10:30 PM

I'm interested, so are a few of my friends. However, two of us won't get there till mid Friday...can we still enter?
Floating around the forums every so often.

Cosplays for 2011: Ciel Phantomhive Ballgown from Kuroshitsuji, Toph Bei Fong Fire Nation Disguise from Avatar: The Last Airbender, Revolutionary Girl Utena Schoolgirl outfit, and Meiling Hong from the Touhou Project.

#20 User is offline   Reki K 

• Pip
  • Group: Purge for Inactivity
  • Member No.: 16772

Posted 01 April 2008 - 05:50 AM

Aw man, I'd love to do this, but probably won't be there Friday, nor would I have a group...Will there be something like this next year?

#21 User is offline   Harrison Bergeron 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 666

Posted 01 April 2008 - 01:35 PM

I officially declare this event..."Funky!"

The participants are going to have so much fun with this event!!!!
"Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur... goes a Latin proverb. The world wants to be deceived...So let it be deceived."
"If someone stands in the way of true justice, you simply walk up behind them and stab them in the heart."
Henri Ducard (Ras Al Ghul)- Batman Begins
"It is pleasant at times to play the madman..."
Seneca- Roman Dramatist, Philosopher, & Politician
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of nonviolence to cover impotence."
Mahatma Gandhi (1869 - 1948)
Nothing is true. All is permissible."
Hassan I Sabbah- Lord and leader of the Assassins Cult

#22 User is offline   superdrive0 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 01 April 2008 - 04:28 PM

View PostChoo, on Mar 31 2008, 01:30 PM, said:

i am very interested in this but do not have a team yet ^_^ so if any one needs an extra player then just get in contact with me!

You can still register as a solo player, and I will add you to a team. I try to team people up with others in their age-group and with people who have similar interests, so no worries. If you want to make sure to get on a team then you can register now. If you find a group you want to join later I can always add you to it.

View PostKasemei, on Apr 1 2008, 12:30 AM, said:

I'm interested, so are a few of my friends. However, two of us won't get there till mid Friday...can we still enter?

Yes, as long as at least one of your members is there Friday morning to pick up the information, then you should be fine. ^^ They can just brief you on the rules and anything we go over during the first meeting once you get there.

View PostReki K, on Apr 1 2008, 07:50 AM, said:

Aw man, I'd love to do this, but probably won't be there Friday, nor would I have a group...Will there be something like this next year?

Assuming all goes well this year, I can only hope that we'll be doing this again ^^

View PostDJ Beryl Turner, on Apr 1 2008, 03:35 PM, said:

I officially declare this event..."Funky!"

The participants are going to have so much fun with this event!!!!

Woo! We are funky! And yes, it is tons of fun, so everyone should sign up! We are still looking for teams!

#23 User is offline   Flame_Alchemist2002 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 15801

Posted 01 April 2008 - 08:21 PM

I would love to do this but....what if I am unable to show friday morning? (my mom would KILL me if i skipped school >>; )

would it be ok if I showed up around 3:30ish in the afternoon?
~ACen 2015!~
~Axel (Kingdom Hearts II)--Finished
~Yato (Noragami)-----5%
~Devil Rin Okumura (Blue Exorcist)--15%
~Soul Eater Evans (Soul Eater)----Finished
~Lea (Kingdom Hearts: BBS)--------Finished
"Xion dies, Axel is alone, Roxas' life is a lie. Oh, and they never get to the beach.
THIS IS A DISNEY GAME. >_> " -CheesyGranola (358/2 summary)

#24 User is offline   superdrive0 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 02 April 2008 - 05:10 PM

View PostFlame_Alchemist2002, on Apr 1 2008, 10:21 PM, said:

I would love to do this but....what if I am unable to show friday morning? (my mom would KILL me if i skipped school >>; )

would it be ok if I showed up around 3:30ish in the afternoon?

As long as ONE team member is able to be there Friday morning (which will actually probably be around 11 or 12) then you may sign up. All we are doing at the first meeting is going over the rules and handing out the lists; it would preferable if all team members could be there so they could get all the details, but if you absolutely cannot, then having one member there to pick up your list is fine. If for some reason no one on your team will be able to make it that early, PM me and we can possibly work something out.

#25 User is offline   tatsumakichan 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 17729

Posted 02 April 2008 - 11:32 PM

My group is planning to participate in this year's Otaku Quest. Currently, we have 8 members and a video recording device (plus a backup, in case something were to happen to one of them). The only problem is 3 of our group members have yet to register and it is clearly past the pre-registration deadline.

I was wondering if they can still register and paid online (full-price) or, at least, register now so they can participate in this event and pay at the convention.
Cosplay 2011: X23 (MvC3), Female!Japan (APH)

Blog: http://jenniferkwanart.blogspot.com/
Deviantart: Art Account and Photo/cosplay Account

#26 User is offline   superdrive0 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 03 April 2008 - 08:06 PM

I'm actually not on ACen staff, I only run this event, so I can't really help you with getting your friends registered. I'm guessing they will probably just have to wait and register at the convention.

However, you can still sign them up for Otaku Quest, even if they aren't pre-registered for ACen, as long as they are actually going to show up at the con. So feel free to sign your whole group up for Otaku Quest now ^^ You'll just have to wait until later to get them their badges.

#27 User is offline   tatsumakichan 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 April 2008 - 10:25 PM

View Postsuperdrive0, on Apr 3 2008, 09:06 PM, said:

However, you can still sign them up for Otaku Quest, even if they aren't pre-registered for ACen, as long as they are actually going to show up at the con. So feel free to sign your whole group up for Otaku Quest now ^^ You'll just have to wait until later to get them their badges.

Thank you so much!
I just found out that 6/8 of my friends, who plans to participate in the Otaku Quest, are registered so it is a good sign.

Since I have 2 friends who are yet to register, what happens if they withdraws last minute (however, they really seem enthusiastic about going right now)? Am I allow to get other people to replace them?

#28 User is offline   superdrive0 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 04 April 2008 - 03:53 PM

Well, I guess if they can't come and you're able to find two other people who want to do it, then yes, that would be fine. When you send in your registration just please make a note of which contestants might not come. Then let me know as soon as you find out whether they are going or not, because I may be able to assign two other people onto your team if you have empty spots, or if you find two other people you want on your team you can send me their info.

Also, just thought I'd post this here; If anyone wants to see some of the videos from Otaku Quest 2007, then look here http://www.youtube.c.../ACenOtakuQuest The videos are all in the favorites (they're uploaded on my personal account, but you'll find a ton of AMVs and random vids if you look for them there.)

#29 User is offline   tatsumakichan 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 April 2008 - 06:36 PM

View Postsuperdrive0, on Apr 4 2008, 04:53 PM, said:

Also, just thought I'd post this here; If anyone wants to see some of the videos from Otaku Quest 2007, then look here http://www.youtube.c.../ACenOtakuQuest The videos are all in the favorites (they're uploaded on my personal account, but you'll find a ton of AMVs and random vids if you look for them there.)

Oh yes, no wonder your username look so familiar. I looked up videos on youtube about the Otaku Quest before confirming with my friends on participating because I want to see want I am getting myself into.

Thank you for the helpful info!

#30 User is offline   superdrive0 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 04 April 2008 - 08:49 PM

Yep, no problem ^^ I look forward to having your team participate.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users