• This topic is locked

New Con Building/4' Rule

#1 User is offline   OneWing 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 3929

Posted 12 March 2008 - 05:34 AM

I really couldn't find anything through search so I hope this post is unique enough to get past others who might have asked the question(s) but I wanted to get a few things cleared up if anyone could please help. :)

First I heard ACen is moving next year ;_; though, being the sickeningly optimistic person I am, I have finally thought of something to add silver lining to the cloud.

So, given the new location is larger, since, that would be the reason for the move, is there ANY possibility (hopes hopes hopes) that the 4' rule can be extended? Even by 6"??

Thank you ^__^
I am "flowin' with life in a warrior type manner." || Forgive and forget. :) || Proud Member of the Shy Otaku Syndicate <3
Previous cosplay: '05: Cloud from FFVII:AC '07: Thu+Fri: Kakashi | Fri Masq Ball: Reno (FFVII:AC) | Sat: Cloud (FFVII:AC) | Sun: Uriel (Angel Sanctuary)
Cosplay for '08: Thurs: Casual Kenashi-Sama[/u] | Fri: Cloud FFVIIAC (surprise saved for '09) | Sat: Solid Snake + Z.O.E. box - MGS1 version FOR MASQ
Cosplay for '09: Locke - Final Fantasy VI || Vamp - MGS4 || Cosplay for '10: Kuja ;3
//Thank you so much to the people who like my cosplay, it means a lot - and glomps to the people who freaking knew my Z.O.E. box for Snake!\\
ACen 2008 Walk-Ons: My Solid Snake: http://www.acparadise.com/acp/vid/3737 || My wonderful friends as Malice Mizer (<3 Kami): http://www.acparadise.com/acp/vid/3718

#2 User is offline   misty 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 10855

Posted 12 March 2008 - 06:27 AM

...whut? Acen is moving? :o
acen2008: Sexy Ninja Clan 「get ready to be assexxinated
agenda: Johnny's Entertainment Gathering ACEN Idol CLIPTOMANIA
your loveもう一度 please 時を戻せたらいいのに
selling manga/anime over here

#3 User is offline   akaikurama 

• Panel Programming Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 10043

Posted 12 March 2008 - 08:32 AM

well I know people have voiced that they would like it to move to a bigger hotel even out of the state, but I haven't heard (offically) that it is going to be moving....
Remember...
Pics
Short but sweet!!

#4 User is offline   opimus.rm 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 28

Posted 12 March 2008 - 09:49 AM

If the con ever moves to Chicago say goodbye to your airsoft guns. Their illegal to own in the city.
I'm just a Mazinger in a rock and roll band!

#5 User is offline   OneWing 

• Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 12 March 2008 - 04:52 PM

Yea, I haven't heard it officially but I don't have any doubts about where I heard it from, unless they said they weren't sure which I can't remember since I was so.. O_________O lol

But as far as I've seen I think the only real issue is hotel space. The convention center rawks in my opinion.

That sucks about airsoft, I wasn't aware of that law but it makes total sense. However I didn't hear about Chicago, just about it moving. I believe there are bigger hotels a little further out.
I am "flowin' with life in a warrior type manner." || Forgive and forget. :) || Proud Member of the Shy Otaku Syndicate <3
Previous cosplay: '05: Cloud from FFVII:AC '07: Thu+Fri: Kakashi | Fri Masq Ball: Reno (FFVII:AC) | Sat: Cloud (FFVII:AC) | Sun: Uriel (Angel Sanctuary)
Cosplay for '08: Thurs: Casual Kenashi-Sama[/u] | Fri: Cloud FFVIIAC (surprise saved for '09) | Sat: Solid Snake + Z.O.E. box - MGS1 version FOR MASQ
Cosplay for '09: Locke - Final Fantasy VI || Vamp - MGS4 || Cosplay for '10: Kuja ;3
//Thank you so much to the people who like my cosplay, it means a lot - and glomps to the people who freaking knew my Z.O.E. box for Snake!\\
ACen 2008 Walk-Ons: My Solid Snake: http://www.acparadise.com/acp/vid/3737 || My wonderful friends as Malice Mizer (<3 Kami): http://www.acparadise.com/acp/vid/3718

#6 User is offline   DarkOne 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 3499

Posted 12 March 2008 - 05:15 PM

I can't Imagine ACen ANYWHERE else.
Con schedule/Costume plans:
Ohayo Con: Amelia, Clary(Mortal Instruments), RPG Ariel(TLM)
C2E2, ACen...
my costume websites:Dazzle CostumesCosplay.comPhotography Cosplay.comLiveJournal

#7 User is offline   misty 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 10855

Posted 12 March 2008 - 05:51 PM

Yeah, isn't McCormick Place the only convention center bigger than Rosemont in the area?
acen2008: Sexy Ninja Clan 「get ready to be assexxinated
agenda: Johnny's Entertainment Gathering ACEN Idol CLIPTOMANIA
your loveもう一度 please 時を戻せたらいいのに
selling manga/anime over here

#8 User is offline   Rawk z3r0 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 15588

Posted 12 March 2008 - 10:25 PM

The situation I heard is that the contract that ACEN had between them and the Hyatt ran out, and they don't want us back, so the contract isn't going to be renewed. I didn't hear where the new location would be, though...

#9 User is offline   cactusmomma 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 3528

Posted 13 March 2008 - 03:33 AM

View Postmisty, on Mar 12 2008, 11:51 PM, said:

Yeah, isn't McCormick Place the only convention center bigger than Rosemont in the area?

There's also Schaumburg Convention Center.

#10 User is offline   OneWing 

• Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 13 March 2008 - 10:30 AM

OOO that looks like an official hint. No actually I did hear that it was McCormick Place, at least that REALLY rings a bell.

ANYWAY, what about that 4' rule? Do you think it could be changed depending where we go?

#11 User is offline   Attica 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 10916

Posted 13 March 2008 - 12:37 PM

Whoa, people, slow down. Chill out. Ya'll are going to cause a panic. I think most of the information you guys are referring to came from This Post And this is the answer Riker gave (Bolding is mine.):

View PostRiker, on Feb 29 2008, 05:19 PM, said:

Hi guys,

First, a disclaimer: I am not in charge of, nor do I have anything to do with, the decision of where to hold ACen in any given year.

Second, another disclaimer: Just like any organization, there are things that I know because I am staff that I simply don't have the authority to say to the public.

So here's what I can tell you: The ACen staff is keenly, keenly aware of many concerns with staying in the Hyatt / Stephens Center configuration. Space is only one of a number of concerns. Every year the question of "will we go back to the Hyatt this year?" is brought up, and every year there are various factors that affect the decision. One of the big factors in the decision this year was the fact that we had (to the best of my understanding -- see disclaimer 1) a multi-year contract with the Hyatt. Another major factor is that there is no good and obvious alternative to the Hyatt / Stephens configuration. As was pointed out, the Stephens center is the largest convention center in the area after McCormick, and if we raised the prices of the badges in order to cover the increased cost of holding it at McCormick, the congoers would complain about the raised prices. However, I know that a number of possibilities are being looked into to help alleviate and mitigate the crowding this year, and I know that the higher-ups have been having long talks about what to do next year. I honestly can't say a lot more right now.

Things are significantly more up-in-the-air regarding ACen 2009. A year ago when we started talking about ACen 2008, we were a lot more restricted in terms of what we could do for this year. So let's wait and see what happens -- honestly I don't know exactly what will happen, and I'm interested in finding out myself. =)

Thanks for bearing with us this year, and we'll see you at con.

So it is possible Acen is moving BUT NOTHING IS SURE YET!!! So don't start spreading rumors, wait for the higher-ups to give us the information. Anything you say can cause a ripple effect, causing a problem later.

Edit: Just wanted to throw in that I'm not staff, I'm just repeating what Riker said.

#12 User is offline   OneWing 

• Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 13 March 2008 - 04:36 PM

Oh thanks for that update Attica. Yea, I should have been more clear on me hearing it non-officially. I really hope there's an alternative to moving, but if it does I really really hope they increase the 4' prop rule.

#13 User is offline   slrphebos 

• Customer Service Staff
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 974

Posted 09 May 2008 - 09:18 PM

Just to state something about the Schaumburg convention center and hotel as I live in the area.

It is NO WAY big enough to hold Acen. It is far smaller than everyone thinks. I've drive past this place and shook my head at the mere idea of Acen moving there. There are only a couple of hotels within driving distance of there which would mean big headaches for overflow hotel congoers. Parking is another huge problem. There would not be enough room believe me. If we can barely handle the two parking garages the Hyatt has and the one for the convention center, Schaumburg convention center parking would not hold that many people.

The only two perks I can think of are 1) Schaumburg has lower sales tax slightly than Rosemont and 2) It's within walking (a long walk) distance of Woodfield mall.

So while I'm not saying it's a no go (I never have been on staff for Acen), just let the higher ups think this out a little longer. I'm sure there will be some kind of annoucement at closing ceremonies this year if they know for sure the Hyatt has told them no. Otherwise all of us have got to be patient and just wait for official answer to this situation.
~Ri-chan
ACen 2013-2014: Customer Service

2013 Cosplay: Team Aqua Grunt (100%), Fluttershy Sweet Lolita (95%)

#14 User is offline   sammy-45 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 42

Posted 09 May 2008 - 09:25 PM

Gee Acen is moving- how come no one told me!!!!??

Ok so what Riker said is true- we know we are running out of space. And other possibilities are being looked at. But right now the Hyatt and convention center are the best place for us with out raising the prices to say about $70 a badge. Since we know you are all broke like us- we are staying put.

But we are always looking forward to the future.
Staff from 2003 to 2010. Currently Retired.

Blessed are the cracked:
for it is they who let in the light!

Go Cubs!!!!GO BEARS!!!!

#15 User is offline   Moogle_21 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 2191

Posted 09 May 2008 - 10:57 PM

Having worked conventions held at the Schaumburg convention center, I really don't believe that would be an option for ACEN. Granted I think that space inside would be sufficient for the dealers room and artist alley, I think there would be many problems with panels being held in the hotel. There were many labor restrictions that we had to follow as well which were not fun. Not having worked ACEN with the operations I can't say for sure if it's something in the norm for you guys ... trust me though, it was a headache.

If the con moved to Chicago not only would badges go up, but I'm sure the rates at the hotels would be higher. Granted ACEN would try to get discounted rates, I'm sure they'd be higher and then you have to figure out how to get there.
Senior Manager of Sales
Anime Central 2011 - 2012

#16 User is offline   youth 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 22

Posted 11 May 2008 - 01:57 AM

View PostMoogle_21, on May 9 2008, 11:57 PM, said:

Having worked conventions held at the Schaumburg convention center, I really don't believe that would be an option for ACEN. Granted I think that space inside would be sufficient for the dealers room and artist alley, I think there would be many problems with panels being held in the hotel. There were many labor restrictions that we had to follow as well which were not fun. Not having worked ACEN with the operations I can't say for sure if it's something in the norm for you guys ... trust me though, it was a headache.

If the con moved to Chicago not only would badges go up, but I'm sure the rates at the hotels would be higher. Granted ACEN would try to get discounted rates, I'm sure they'd be higher and then you have to figure out how to get there.

Many other con's (ex. Otakon, AX, Sakura-con) have managed to take over their city centers, but I'm guessing Chicago would more expensive then any other place to hold a anime con downtown. It'd be neat though to see the reaction of the normal ppl there, but I think the current location is more then adequate for a few years if you can utilize the other nearby hotels & the Rosemont theatre.
g'day
youth

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users