Anime Central Forums: Acen Idol 2008 Offical Rules And The Like - Anime Central Forums

• 11 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Acen Idol 2008 Offical Rules And The Like AUDITION DEADLINE IS MARCH 30, 2008 NO EXCEPTIONS!

#271 User is offline   voni ^__^ 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 6740

Posted 21 April 2008 - 09:54 PM

View PostReki K, on Apr 22 2008, 01:20 AM, said:

A few comments here:
I don't see why this thread isn't in the "Special Events" board, the description for which specifically says "for events like...ACen Idol." This would have been very helpful to know.
I sort of understand why the signup was for March 30th, but for me (because I didn't have any clue where to find this information until I saw today that someone on Special Events linked here about it), I couldn't have possibly known in time. Better/more organization/advertisement for that would be much appreciated next time.
I don't quite understand why ACen Idol is required to be East Asian music. I know that it's supposed to be a convention celebrating otaku-ism, which is based on mostly favor towards Japanese culture, but why no English music? I just plain don't have any (legal) access to Japanese music that I could identify in any way (my only access is though iTunes podcasts that have obscure names for titles and artists, plus I can't read or even remotely understand Japanese). iTunes doesn't allow access to the Japanese music store and the anime section is crap, and I don't have access to any other viable (legal) music stores. You're automatically eliminating anyone like me who might be interested in doing this, and while I don't exactly know how many people that is, it does make me feel rather singled-out. You can argue "this is the way it's always been" but I haven't been here before so I can't be expected to know that.
I'm not asking that you change the whole system for one slightly dissatisfied customer (wouldn't expect that of anyone) so much as I'd like it to be a little clearer, instead of the thread miscategorized and not enough broadcasting of the news. I wanted so much to be in this that I was going to miss out on the SSBB tournament (which I have no chance of winning anyway) to participate, but since it's obviously too late, and because I wouldn't have a chance with my pathetic knowledge of Japanese language/music anyway, it looks like I'll be playing Brawl anyway. PLEASE be clearer with this next time.

Actually the very first year of ACen Idol we allowed one (and only one!) english song for the competition, however, miscommunication of rules led to people singing more than one english song. In most cases we would have disqualified these people for not following the rules, but just decided that for the following year, in order to avoid these types of situations, all the songs would be East Asian languages.

The reason we chose East Asian languages is because when watching Anime, most people choose to watch it in Japanese. The themes and endings of the songs are in Japanese (even on Adult Swim). Very rarely are there English versions of Anime shows, nor do the Americans choose to take the time to dub the songs. It just seemed like the logical choice.

I thought Japan had launched an ITunes in 2005. I've never used Itunes before so I can't say I'm exactly sure how the whole process works and can't offer much insight on that. However if you wanted, you could buy the music from YesAsia.com?

Lastly, sorry about all the miscommunication. ACen Idol almost didn't happen this year due to poor planning. I was asked last minute to take over and pull the event together. I was completely unaware that people were looking at Special Events for updates on the event, if I had known I definitely would have put a notice to direct people over to Panel Programming. I apologize again for all the confusion!
Blog | Facebook | Pinterest

ACen Idol
Yvonne Luong
ACen 07-08 - Panel Programming - ACen Idol Coordinator

#272 User is offline   Reki K 

• Pip
  • Group: Purge for Inactivity
  • Member No.: 16772

Posted 22 April 2008 - 05:53 AM

View Postvoni ^__^, on Apr 21 2008, 10:54 PM, said:

Actually the very first year of ACen Idol we allowed one (and only one!) english song for the competition, however, miscommunication of rules led to people singing more than one english song. In most cases we would have disqualified these people for not following the rules, but just decided that for the following year, in order to avoid these types of situations, all the songs would be East Asian languages.

The reason we chose East Asian languages is because when watching Anime, most people choose to watch it in Japanese. The themes and endings of the songs are in Japanese (even on Adult Swim). Very rarely are there English versions of Anime shows, nor do the Americans choose to take the time to dub the songs. It just seemed like the logical choice.

I thought Japan had launched an ITunes in 2005. I've never used Itunes before so I can't say I'm exactly sure how the whole process works and can't offer much insight on that. However if you wanted, you could buy the music from YesAsia.com?

Lastly, sorry about all the miscommunication. ACen Idol almost didn't happen this year due to poor planning. I was asked last minute to take over and pull the event together. I was completely unaware that people were looking at Special Events for updates on the event, if I had known I definitely would have put a notice to direct people over to Panel Programming. I apologize again for all the confusion!

Yes, Japan has an iTunes, but Americans can't access it.
And s'alright about the confusion, I was irritable when I wrote that message anyway from a lack of sleep. Sorry about sounding like I was really ticked off about it. ^^;

#273 User is offline   Deadly Beauty 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 14886

Posted 22 April 2008 - 10:51 AM

Guys, I'm like suffering here just knowing that I'm missing the SSBB tournament this year for ACen Idol. Like, you don't even know how big a deal that is to a dedicated competitive smasher like me. The ACen smash tourneys are some of the biggest I could possibly find with some real competition... *Pulls her knees to her chest and rocks back and forth in a corner.* '-' I will survive... I will survive... I will survive... Eat your heart out, Gloria Gaynor.
Faye Mata/Princess Aura
Team Donut's 'GLAZED' XD
Brawl me: 4940-5123-1444 Tourney standard rules or just casual chillaxing: I'm game. Just send me a PM if you add me so I can add you back and we can do eet. :)

Goddess Palutena, Vaporeon, and Sailor Mars at ACen 2008!
Come watch me in ACen Idol!

#274 User is offline   Alicorn 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 8346

Posted 22 April 2008 - 02:51 PM

You can, in fact, purchase music from Japanese iTunes if you buy a Japanese iTunes card. There are companies online (such as J-list) that sell them - for an extra fee on top of the purchase price, of course, but it's still a way better deal than buying an entire CD for one song.

/tangent

#275 User is offline   Kasemei 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 5705

Posted 22 April 2008 - 06:13 PM

*Hugs Deadly Beauty* I wuvs you!!! *huggles*
Floating around the forums every so often.

Cosplays for 2011: Ciel Phantomhive Ballgown from Kuroshitsuji, Toph Bei Fong Fire Nation Disguise from Avatar: The Last Airbender, Revolutionary Girl Utena Schoolgirl outfit, and Meiling Hong from the Touhou Project.

#276 User is offline   Deadly Beauty 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 22 April 2008 - 07:01 PM

-!- AHH! CAPTAIN FALCON?! BACK FOR MOR-... oh, it's just you, Kasemei. <3
Faye Mata/Princess Aura
Team Donut's 'GLAZED' XD
Brawl me: 4940-5123-1444 Tourney standard rules or just casual chillaxing: I'm game. Just send me a PM if you add me so I can add you back and we can do eet. :)

#277 User is offline   Kasemei 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 5705

Posted 22 April 2008 - 07:52 PM

Haha Wuv
Floating around the forums every so often.

Cosplays for 2011: Ciel Phantomhive Ballgown from Kuroshitsuji, Toph Bei Fong Fire Nation Disguise from Avatar: The Last Airbender, Revolutionary Girl Utena Schoolgirl outfit, and Meiling Hong from the Touhou Project.

#278 User is offline   Miri 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 6175

Posted 23 April 2008 - 11:34 AM

Yeah, sorry about singing two english songs the first year, Voni. I seriously thought the page said only one eastern language song was necessary. ^^'

#279 User is offline   Jam-Kiske 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 10878

Posted 23 April 2008 - 02:01 PM

View PostDeadly Beauty, on Apr 22 2008, 11:51 AM, said:

Guys, I'm like suffering here just knowing that I'm missing the SSBB tournament this year for ACen Idol. Like, you don't even know how big a deal that is to a dedicated competitive smasher like me. The ACen smash tourneys are some of the biggest I could possibly find with some real competition... *Pulls her knees to her chest and rocks back and forth in a corner.* '-' I will survive... I will survive... I will survive... Eat your heart out, Gloria Gaynor.

Awww poor baby! [huggle]

Lucky for me SSBB was on my maybe tourney list cuz.... I kind of suck but find it amusing nonetheless.
Oops can't afford to go to ACEN anymore! >:

#280 User is offline   Sean Chen 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 9195

Posted 23 April 2008 - 05:15 PM

View PostMiri, on Apr 23 2008, 12:34 PM, said:

Yeah, sorry about singing two english songs the first year, Voni. I seriously thought the page said only one eastern language song was necessary. ^^'

You're one Japanese song was my favorite of the three. Sounded so much like Ayu :lol:

#281 User is offline   Miri 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 23 April 2008 - 10:46 PM

View PostSean Chen, on Apr 23 2008, 11:15 PM, said:

You're one Japanese song was my favorite of the three. Sounded so much like Ayu :lol:

Wow, thanks! :3 I didn't think I sound anything like her though, lol.

And, you always rock. I don't know a song from you I didn't like. ^^

#282 User is offline   voni ^__^ 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 24 April 2008 - 11:32 PM

View PostMiri, on Apr 23 2008, 05:34 PM, said:

No worries! I loved your songs regardless. Sam was so awed he totally overlooked the rules hahaa.

ACen Idol
Yvonne Luong

#283 User is offline   bexxie 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 417

Posted 25 April 2008 - 07:36 AM

Hey, Voni...did you get my email. <:/
Hey.

#284 User is offline   Deadly Beauty 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 25 April 2008 - 11:55 AM

I have a sore throat. Make it go away, please. :(
Faye Mata/Princess Aura
Team Donut's 'GLAZED' XD

#285 User is offline   Miri 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 25 April 2008 - 10:33 PM

View PostDeadly Beauty, on Apr 25 2008, 05:55 PM, said:

I have a sore throat. Make it go away, please. :(

I recommend lemon drops. They usually help me. :D

#286 User is offline   Creative Name 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 4734

Posted 26 April 2008 - 10:43 PM

I was going to mention earlier that ACen Idol isn't exactly a panel. :\
Won't you please save the panda

#287 User is offline   voni ^__^ 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 27 April 2008 - 04:57 PM

View PostCreative Name, on Apr 27 2008, 04:43 AM, said:

I was going to mention earlier that ACen Idol isn't exactly a panel. :\

The idea of the event came from a person that had been in charge of panels so we kept it in panels. It was suppose to be transferred over the special events this year but problems arose so it came back to panels.

ACen Idol
Yvonne Luong

#288 User is offline   Sean Chen 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 02 May 2008 - 06:19 PM

In pondering over what made the audience more involved in 2006, I've started to think that maybe the lights played a big role. In 2006, the room was dark except for the stage lights, while in 2007 the contest was done in a brightly lit setting. This may seem trivial, but I think that people are less inhibited when the room is dark, so they are more likely to get involved and have fun. So my suggestion would be to have the Acen Idol room be dark except for the stage and judging table, like 2006, or at least drastically dimmer than 2007. Obviously, it may not be entirely feasible for the final round, but I think it should be easy to do in the first two rounds. Thoughts Yvonne?

#289 User is offline   Miri 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 03 May 2008 - 01:24 AM

View PostSean Chen, on May 3 2008, 12:19 AM, said:

In pondering over what made the audience more involved in 2006, I've started to think that maybe the lights played a big role. In 2006, the room was dark except for the stage lights, while in 2007 the contest was done in a brightly lit setting. This may seem trivial, but I think that people are less inhibited when the room is dark, so they are more likely to get involved and have fun. So my suggestion would be to have the Acen Idol room be dark except for the stage and judging table, like 2006, or at least drastically dimmer than 2007. Obviously, it may not be entirely feasible for the final round, but I think it should be easy to do in the first two rounds. Thoughts Yvonne?

I totally agree. I never thought about that until now, but the lighting was much better the first year. XD

#290 User is offline   Alicorn 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 8346

Posted 03 May 2008 - 09:56 AM

Huh, I haven't ever seen the show, but I would just assume it would be dimmed audience lights + bright stage lights, so it feels more like a concert and has a better 'show' feel! Besides that, then you blind the singer and they can't see the audience, so they may sing better, raising the bar on the competition ;3

#291 User is offline   Jam-Kiske 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 03 May 2008 - 10:54 AM

The lighting idea makes sense. I kind of assumed it was like that with dim lights anyway... >>
Also... do we have an exact time decided on yet for the rounds and stuff?
Cuz my mom keeps bugging me about it since she wants to see me... >>

#292 User is offline   bexxie 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 417

Posted 08 May 2008 - 04:28 PM

So, wait...did we decide on the the time of Round 1 on Friday?
Hey.

#293 User is offline   Deadly Beauty 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 08 May 2008 - 06:36 PM

Good news and bad news. The good news is, thankfully, my sore throat is gone and I can sing like a bird again, woohoo~! The bad news is that I found out that my Genetics final is 12:30 - 2:30 pm on Friday, and I go to school in Milwaukee. It won't take me nearly so long to take an exam (I'll probably be done by 1:30), but then I still have to drive to ACen from Milwaukee! I can make it in an hour, but I'll probably have to be one of the last people to go! Damn you, School. >:[
Faye Mata/Princess Aura
Team Donut's 'GLAZED' XD

#294 User is offline   Spydie 

• Registration Staff
  • PipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 4073

Posted 09 May 2008 - 07:05 AM

Good luck everyone! Sorry I've been such a booger, but I hope that you all do well. I'd drop by and see first round, but I have an incredibly packed Friday.
I am made of awesome: pure, unfiltered awesome.

#295 User is offline   Jam-Kiske 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 May 2008 - 10:53 AM

View Postbeckiebootwo, on May 8 2008, 05:28 PM, said:

So, wait...did we decide on the the time of Round 1 on Friday?

I don't think so... we were all sent two possible times but I don't think one has been decided on publicly... >>

View PostDeadly Beauty, on May 8 2008, 07:36 PM, said:

Good news and bad news. The good news is, thankfully, my sore throat is gone and I can sing like a bird again, woohoo~! The bad news is that I found out that my Genetics final is 12:30 - 2:30 pm on Friday, and I go to school in Milwaukee. It won't take me nearly so long to take an exam (I'll probably be done by 1:30), but then I still have to drive to ACen from Milwaukee! I can make it in an hour, but I'll probably have to be one of the last people to go! Damn you, School. >:[

That's terrible!
Last year I had an AP exam the Friday of ACEN from 1 to 5 or something... it was terrible. >>
Best of luck with all that though... and at least you'll be here by the end... right?

#296 User is offline   Deadly Beauty 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 09 May 2008 - 04:51 PM

View PostJam-Kiske, on May 9 2008, 11:53 AM, said:

I don't think so... we were all sent two possible times but I don't think one has been decided on publicly... >>

That's terrible!
Last year I had an AP exam the Friday of ACEN from 1 to 5 or something... it was terrible. >>
Best of luck with all that though... and at least you'll be here by the end... right?

Yeah. I'm going to rush my bum there as fast (but safely) as possible. :[
Faye Mata/Princess Aura
Team Donut's 'GLAZED' XD

#297 User is offline   voni ^__^ 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 12 May 2008 - 06:40 PM

Hey you guys! >.<

Sorry I had 4 AP tests that I didn't take classes for so I have been studying to death for those for the past few weeks. I do not mean to neglect you guys >.> I have one more AP test tomorrow and I promise right after that is done I'll get everything (comments -.-, final info and the like) out to you guys in a flash!

In the mean time though the official schedules says:

Round 1

Exhibit Hall H-1
Friday 2:30pm - 4:30pm (Sound check from 1:30 - 2:30... I will be contacting the 18 about how this is going to work)

Round 2

Exhibit Hall H-1
Saturday 1:30pm - 2:30pm (Sound check from 12:30pm - 1:30pm... I will be contacting you guys on how this is going to work)

Round 3

Saturday Masquerade Half Time (Time TBA)

ACen Idol
Yvonne Luong

#298 User is offline   voni ^__^ 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 12 May 2008 - 06:52 PM

View PostSean Chen, on May 3 2008, 12:19 AM, said:

To be perfectly honest I requested stuff so late this year (Sam has done it for me in the past year so I didn't ever worry about it or think that I needed to worry about it) that I have absolutely no idea what to expect. We're not even in the room we used to be in. >"< Heh. Well... the good news is Sam is MCing XD and I have my judges. One of whom speaks Japanese fluently... yay?

ACen Idol
Yvonne Luong

#299 User is offline   Jam-Kiske 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 12 May 2008 - 07:58 PM

View Postvoni ^__^, on May 12 2008, 07:40 PM, said:

Hey you guys! >.<

Sorry I had 4 AP tests that I didn't take classes for so I have been studying to death for those for the past few weeks. I do not mean to neglect you guys >.> I have one more AP test tomorrow and I promise right after that is done I'll get everything (comments -.-, final info and the like) out to you guys in a flash!

In the mean time though the official schedules says:

Round 1

Exhibit Hall H-1
Friday 2:30pm - 4:30pm (Sound check from 1:30 - 2:30... I will be contacting the 18 about how this is going to work)

Round 2

Exhibit Hall H-1
Saturday 1:30pm - 2:30pm (Sound check from 12:30pm - 1:30pm... I will be contacting you guys on how this is going to work)

Round 3

Saturday Masquerade Half Time (Time TBA)

Holy crap... the Round 1 time is WAY earlier than the suggested times for before... >>
it also conflicts with one shoot I wanted to do but... since it's such a long slot I'm sure I can figure that out.

Also, AP tests = sadness... I only took one this year though and it was this morning so... I'm stress free other than acen now!

#300 User is offline   Sean Chen 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 12 May 2008 - 08:06 PM

View Postvoni ^__^, on May 12 2008, 07:40 PM, said:

Sorry I had 4 AP tests that I didn't take classes for

??? How in the world do you take 4 AP tests for subjects you weren't taught? That's insane, no wonder you've been so stressed.

Oh, I'm glad you got a judge who speaks fluent Japanese. This will be excellent...

• 11 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users