Anime Central Forums: Acen Idol 2008 Offical Rules And The Like - Anime Central Forums

Jump to content

  • 11 Pages +
  • « First
  • 7
  • 8
  • 9
  • 10
  • 11
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Acen Idol 2008 Offical Rules And The Like AUDITION DEADLINE IS MARCH 30, 2008 NO EXCEPTIONS!

#241 User is offline   Animexcel 

  • Production Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 80
  • Posts: 1,824
  • Joined: 11-April 03
  • Location:Somewhere in Illinois

Posted 13 April 2008 - 05:52 PM

View Posttatsumakichan, on Apr 13 2008, 08:59 AM, said:

What!? and you call yourself Chinese! jkjk

I love mahjong and at least once every week. my family and I gather around and play (without money of course). It is sort of like what American's called "Family Game Night". Technically speaking, I am American too.


I couldn't really get into it, my family tried to get me to play but I would fumble all the tiles when I tried to stack them together, couldn't get interested in it ^^;
ACen Mascot Artist

#242 User is offline   Kasemei 

  • Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 5705
  • Posts: 1,189
  • Joined: 11-December 05
  • Location:Chesterton, Indiana

Posted 13 April 2008 - 07:18 PM

XD! Animexcel, I'm the same way. First Generation Chinese American am I. @_@ I'm a pure Chinese child, but I'm American. hahahaha @_@ Someone once referred to me as a twinkie...I'm not sure if that's good..XD
Floating around the forums every so often.

Cosplays for 2011: Ciel Phantomhive Ballgown from Kuroshitsuji, Toph Bei Fong Fire Nation Disguise from Avatar: The Last Airbender, Revolutionary Girl Utena Schoolgirl outfit, and Meiling Hong from the Touhou Project.

#243 User is offline   highperjackie 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 17713
  • Posts: 2
  • Joined: 01-April 08

Posted 13 April 2008 - 08:14 PM

View PostKasemei, on Apr 13 2008, 07:18 PM, said:

XD! Animexcel, I'm the same way. First Generation Chinese American am I. @_@ I'm a pure Chinese child, but I'm American. hahahaha @_@ Someone once referred to me as a twinkie...I'm not sure if that's good..XD




hahahaha twinkie. good old terms.

I am korean, I grew up in Korea until 7 years ago, but I am fluent in Korean and Japanese, and English now.
I am a fob but people think I am a twinkie.. so... what the hell am I ?!!

#244 User is offline   Deadly Beauty 

  • Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 14886
  • Posts: 108
  • Joined: 17-October 07

Posted 14 April 2008 - 09:42 AM

HAHA, 'Twinkie'. XD Aww. I've been called a 'coconut'. I'm Filipina/Pacific Islander and I live on the border of Wisconsin and Illinois. There are like no Asians in Wisconsin and 472472472398427498372 Asians just across the border in Illinois. I grew up and went to school in Kenosha, Wisconsin where 90% people are Caucasian. I crossed the border, met Asian friends, and was ridiculed, lmao (in good fun, though; not seriously! XD).

Congratulations to everyone else that made the cut and I apologize to those that did not make it. I did not fill out a ballot (I don't like judging my competition like that D:>), but from listening alone, it was definitely some tough competition, especially since the songs and voices were very unique and had an overwhelming variety.

Also, a really big thank you to anyone and everyone that filled out the ballots. I have the utmost appreciation that you guys took the time to do that. It's people like you who are actually looking forward to the competition that I want to try my hardest for to guarantee a good show!

A meet-up sounds like fun! Is anyone else going to the Thursday night meet up? I intended to frolic there before the con. X] Ohh, man! I am so pumped for this competition! I just went to the Anime Punch con this weekend and sang my 1st round song in karaoke. I fooled around first, singing 'Viridian City,' but when it came to singing 'Yura Yura,' I kind of stiffened up and got kind of flat on the high notes. Definitely was nervous. I guess I was thinking of ACEN Idol too much. I picked it up by the end, but I'm glad I went through that experience!

It was fascinating to me how I could feel no shame running and jumping around on stage belting out 'Viridian City,' but how I was nerve-shot doing 'Yura Yura.' At least now I know what to work on, and I'll share with all my other competitors that it really helps to just let loose and think of it as having fun, rather than thinking about being judged at a competition. I think I shone way more that way at AP.

<3 I look forward to meeting all of you! I will tell you all in advance that I will not participate in any sort of drama or shenanigans. Please, let's all just have a great time; both competitors and the audience alike.

Faye Mata/Princess Aura
Team Donut's 'GLAZED' XD
Brawl me: 4940-5123-1444 Tourney standard rules or just casual chillaxing: I'm game. Just send me a PM if you add me so I can add you back and we can do eet. :)

Goddess Palutena, Vaporeon, and Sailor Mars at ACen 2008!
Come watch me in ACen Idol!

#245 User is offline   Komurin II 

  • Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 16688
  • Posts: 81
  • Joined: 08-January 08

Posted 14 April 2008 - 01:28 PM

View Posthighperjackie, on Apr 13 2008, 10:14 PM, said:

hahahaha twinkie. good old terms.

I am korean, I grew up in Korea until 7 years ago, but I am fluent in Korean and Japanese, and English now.
I am a fob but people think I am a twinkie.. so... what the hell am I ?!!


xD Being a twinkie is really a state of mind, I think. I was only in Taiwan until I was two, but I grew up in a very Chinese community and I identify with being Chinese more than anything. I mean, my uncle owns a Chinese restaurant, my mother runs a Chinese video store... and everyone in my family works in an environment where they can get by with just Chinese. I'm not sure how much more stereotypical you can get. There are parts of me that are undeniably American, but I love my native culture much more than I'm into American culture.

That, to me, makes me more a fob than twinkie. xD; Because you can't be a twinkie without being 'white on the inside'.

#246 User is offline   Kasemei 

  • Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 5705
  • Posts: 1,189
  • Joined: 11-December 05
  • Location:Chesterton, Indiana

Posted 14 April 2008 - 02:05 PM

XD I know your pain Deadly Beauty, I know your pain. I live in Northwest Indiana. XD THere's a total of 5 asians in my entire school, or at least pretty close.
Floating around the forums every so often.

Cosplays for 2011: Ciel Phantomhive Ballgown from Kuroshitsuji, Toph Bei Fong Fire Nation Disguise from Avatar: The Last Airbender, Revolutionary Girl Utena Schoolgirl outfit, and Meiling Hong from the Touhou Project.

#247 User is offline   Animexcel 

  • Production Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 80
  • Posts: 1,824
  • Joined: 11-April 03
  • Location:Somewhere in Illinois

Posted 15 April 2008 - 12:53 AM

View PostKasemei, on Apr 14 2008, 01:18 AM, said:

XD! Animexcel, I'm the same way. First Generation Chinese American am I. @_@ I'm a pure Chinese child, but I'm American. hahahaha @_@ Someone once referred to me as a twinkie...I'm not sure if that's good..XD


My dad was born here and my mom's from China, and for some reason I wasn't brought up to learn Chinese; dad might've something to do with it...=[
Anyway, they usually call Mahjong "MJ" lol.. I can't standing the tile shuffling, it's loud and it annoys me when I'm trying to watch tv xD

twinkie or banana is what I've been hearing.
ACen Mascot Artist

#248 User is offline   voni ^__^ 

  • Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 6740
  • Posts: 168
  • Joined: 09-April 06
  • Location:NYC

Posted 15 April 2008 - 05:36 AM

View PostAnimexcel, on Apr 15 2008, 06:53 AM, said:

twinkie or banana is what I've been hearing.


bananas remind me of juno
which remind me of sex ed
which remind me of perverse things...

...lol -.-
Blog | Facebook | Pinterest


ACen Idol
Yvonne Luong
ACen 07-08 - Panel Programming - ACen Idol Coordinator

#249 User is offline   Kasemei 

  • Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 5705
  • Posts: 1,189
  • Joined: 11-December 05
  • Location:Chesterton, Indiana

Posted 15 April 2008 - 02:20 PM

Sex Ed reminds me of Mean Girls and the crazy teacher. The following quote is edited for 'forum appropriateness.

At your age, you're going to have a lot of urges and if you follow your urges, you will get chlamydia, and die.
Floating around the forums every so often.

Cosplays for 2011: Ciel Phantomhive Ballgown from Kuroshitsuji, Toph Bei Fong Fire Nation Disguise from Avatar: The Last Airbender, Revolutionary Girl Utena Schoolgirl outfit, and Meiling Hong from the Touhou Project.

#250 User is offline   voni ^__^ 

  • Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 6740
  • Posts: 168
  • Joined: 09-April 06
  • Location:NYC

Posted 15 April 2008 - 08:35 PM

which reminds me of the quote:
"Don't ever let boy kiss you. You do, you can't stop. Then you have baby. You put baby in garbage can. Police find you, put you in jail, then you life over, better just kill yourself."

courtesy of amy tan (and my mother)
Blog | Facebook | Pinterest


ACen Idol
Yvonne Luong
ACen 07-08 - Panel Programming - ACen Idol Coordinator

#251 User is offline   Wing Godess 

  • Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 98
  • Posts: 54
  • Joined: 13-April 03
  • Location:Naperthrill

Posted 16 April 2008 - 10:27 AM

...were the performing 18 supposed to get an e-mail? 'Cause I didn't...
Rocking A-cen since 2000 so maybe I should actually cosplay for '09...
I am the 2008 A-cen Idol <3

#252 User is offline   Komurin II 

  • Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 16688
  • Posts: 81
  • Joined: 08-January 08

Posted 16 April 2008 - 12:15 PM

View PostWing Godess, on Apr 16 2008, 12:27 PM, said:

...were the performing 18 supposed to get an e-mail? 'Cause I didn't...


We did. D: I'm sure there was just some sort of hitch in the mass e-mails. It was just asking us for our info. If Voni doesn't come online soon to send you yours, I can forward you mine if that's allowed...?

And I sent an e-mail to you, Voni, not pertaining to the questions asked of me but to a song I was hoping to find the instrumental of. x3; I hope you got it!

#253 User is offline   anime-luver 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 17310
  • Posts: 11
  • Joined: 24-February 08
  • Location:United states

Posted 16 April 2008 - 02:27 PM

View PostWing Godess, on Apr 16 2008, 11:27 AM, said:

...were the performing 18 supposed to get an e-mail? 'Cause I didn't...


I didn't get one either... I'm not sure what happened=S

#254 User is offline   Komurin II 

  • Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 16688
  • Posts: 81
  • Joined: 08-January 08

Posted 16 April 2008 - 04:02 PM

Huh. I don't understand at all. Looking at the list on the e-mail I got, the info was sent to 19 different addresses and yet two people didn't get theirs...?

That doesn't seem to add up at all. oO; *hopes Voni gets on soon*

#255 User is offline   Jam-Kiske 

  • Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 10878
  • Posts: 1,879
  • Joined: 04-May 07
  • Location:Peoria, IL

Posted 16 April 2008 - 04:05 PM

I got mine! YaY! I'll have to get on my other [superior] comp before I can send back my stuff though.
Oops can't afford to go to ACEN anymore! >:

#256 User is offline   Deadly Beauty 

  • Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 14886
  • Posts: 108
  • Joined: 17-October 07

Posted 16 April 2008 - 04:47 PM

I got the e-mail a long time ago, but I need to organize my tracks before I send them. :)
Faye Mata/Princess Aura
Team Donut's 'GLAZED' XD
Brawl me: 4940-5123-1444 Tourney standard rules or just casual chillaxing: I'm game. Just send me a PM if you add me so I can add you back and we can do eet. :)

Goddess Palutena, Vaporeon, and Sailor Mars at ACen 2008!
Come watch me in ACen Idol!

#257 User is offline   voni ^__^ 

  • Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 6740
  • Posts: 168
  • Joined: 09-April 06
  • Location:NYC

Posted 16 April 2008 - 04:56 PM

View PostWing Godess, on Apr 16 2008, 04:27 PM, said:

...were the performing 18 supposed to get an e-mail? 'Cause I didn't...


i'm sending you an individual copy. i don't know why but i know this happened with some people last year too >.>

View Postanime-luver, on Apr 16 2008, 08:27 PM, said:

I didn't get one either... I'm not sure what happened=S


who are you exactly? -.-




everyone else: it is okay, take your time... at least until the end of next week (then i'll start haggling you). i have a huge speech competition this weekend so i'm pretty busy, but right after it i should be free.
Blog | Facebook | Pinterest


ACen Idol
Yvonne Luong
ACen 07-08 - Panel Programming - ACen Idol Coordinator

#258 User is offline   anime-luver 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 17310
  • Posts: 11
  • Joined: 24-February 08
  • Location:United states

Posted 16 April 2008 - 06:46 PM

View Postvoni ^__^, on Apr 16 2008, 05:56 PM, said:

who are you exactly? -.-


I am Susie.

#259 User is offline   Jam-Kiske 

  • Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 10878
  • Posts: 1,879
  • Joined: 04-May 07
  • Location:Peoria, IL

Posted 17 April 2008 - 10:58 AM

View Postvoni ^__^, on Apr 16 2008, 05:56 PM, said:

everyone else: it is okay, take your time... at least until the end of next week (then i'll start haggling you). i have a huge speech competition this weekend so i'm pretty busy, but right after it i should be free.

Oh... I stayed up late last night doing it cuz I thought it was urgent...
I also had to change my 2nd song right away because the song I had picked doesn't have a karaoke version... [my brother assured me that it did... ><]

Blah...
I'll send my 3rd song whenever I get home...
Oops can't afford to go to ACEN anymore! >:

#260 User is offline   voni ^__^ 

  • Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 6740
  • Posts: 168
  • Joined: 09-April 06
  • Location:NYC

Posted 17 April 2008 - 11:13 AM

View Postanime-luver, on Apr 17 2008, 12:46 AM, said:

I am Susie.


The emails were sent to the 18 that made the cut -.-.

View PostJam-Kiske, on Apr 17 2008, 04:58 PM, said:

Oh... I stayed up late last night doing it cuz I thought it was urgent...
I also had to change my 2nd song right away because the song I had picked doesn't have a karaoke version... [my brother assured me that it did... ><]

Blah...
I'll send my 3rd song whenever I get home...


Sorry, I didn't realize how bombarded I would be.
Also, for karaoke versions of songs you can check by looking at the singer's discography. Usually if that singer doesn't include it in any of their CDs it is very unlikely that any karaoke version was ever released.
Blog | Facebook | Pinterest


ACen Idol
Yvonne Luong
ACen 07-08 - Panel Programming - ACen Idol Coordinator

#261 User is offline   LilacChrome 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 10655
  • Posts: 19
  • Joined: 27-April 07

Posted 17 April 2008 - 12:25 PM

So how soon will we get the comments to our singing from the ballots? :D

#262 User is offline   anime-luver 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 17310
  • Posts: 11
  • Joined: 24-February 08
  • Location:United states

Post icon  Posted 17 April 2008 - 03:36 PM

:excl:

#263 User is offline   Komurin II 

  • Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 16688
  • Posts: 81
  • Joined: 08-January 08

Posted 17 April 2008 - 04:01 PM

View Postanime-luver, on Apr 17 2008, 05:36 PM, said:

:blink:

I thought I was hallucinating about making it, so I checked again. I did make it, but I didn't get anything...


Hi, Susie. I double-checked for you just now. You're the one who did the Loveless song, Tsuki no Curse, right?

I'm sorry, but you didn't make the cut. You show up on the auditions page but not on the performing 18 page.

You can see for yourself here: http://acenidol.word...-performing-18/

#264 User is offline   Jam-Kiske 

  • Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 10878
  • Posts: 1,879
  • Joined: 04-May 07
  • Location:Peoria, IL

Posted 17 April 2008 - 04:08 PM

View Postvoni ^__^, on Apr 17 2008, 12:13 PM, said:

Sorry, I didn't realize how bombarded I would be.
Also, for karaoke versions of songs you can check by looking at the singer's discography. Usually if that singer doesn't include it in any of their CDs it is very unlikely that any karaoke version was ever released.

The singer is pretty unknown... I think he might just sing that song really...
I tried...
I'll settle for the random choice I made last night.
Oops can't afford to go to ACEN anymore! >:

#265 User is offline   anime-luver 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 17310
  • Posts: 11
  • Joined: 24-February 08
  • Location:United states

Posted 17 April 2008 - 04:14 PM

Thanks ^^ kk... next year then.

#266 User is offline   Kasemei 

  • Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 5705
  • Posts: 1,189
  • Joined: 11-December 05
  • Location:Chesterton, Indiana

Posted 17 April 2008 - 09:22 PM

BAH. I'm sick again. hahaha. Bad luck is getting to me. First no ACen idol, on the year that ACen is the weekend right before my birthday (my bday's the 19th of May. XD), and I'm sick. To top it all off, Prom is soon. *dies*
Floating around the forums every so often.

Cosplays for 2011: Ciel Phantomhive Ballgown from Kuroshitsuji, Toph Bei Fong Fire Nation Disguise from Avatar: The Last Airbender, Revolutionary Girl Utena Schoolgirl outfit, and Meiling Hong from the Touhou Project.

#267 User is offline   voni ^__^ 

  • Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 6740
  • Posts: 168
  • Joined: 09-April 06
  • Location:NYC

Posted 17 April 2008 - 10:30 PM

View PostLilacChrome, on Apr 17 2008, 06:25 PM, said:

So how soon will we get the comments to our singing from the ballots? :D


heh. after this weekend. i'll compile them as soon as i get back on sunday and send them out to people that have already replied my email :3
Blog | Facebook | Pinterest


ACen Idol
Yvonne Luong
ACen 07-08 - Panel Programming - ACen Idol Coordinator

#268 User is offline   voni ^__^ 

  • Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 6740
  • Posts: 168
  • Joined: 09-April 06
  • Location:NYC

Posted 17 April 2008 - 10:32 PM

bla... double post...
Blog | Facebook | Pinterest


ACen Idol
Yvonne Luong
ACen 07-08 - Panel Programming - ACen Idol Coordinator

#269 User is offline   Reki K 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Purge for Inactivity
  • Member No.: 16772
  • Posts: 23
  • Joined: 14-January 08
  • Location:The dark corners of your mind

Posted 21 April 2008 - 07:20 PM

A few comments here:
I don't see why this thread isn't in the "Special Events" board, the description for which specifically says "for events like...ACen Idol." This would have been very helpful to know.
I sort of understand why the signup was for March 30th, but for me (because I didn't have any clue where to find this information until I saw today that someone on Special Events linked here about it), I couldn't have possibly known in time. Better/more organization/advertisement for that would be much appreciated next time.
I don't quite understand why ACen Idol is required to be East Asian music. I know that it's supposed to be a convention celebrating otaku-ism, which is based on mostly favor towards Japanese culture, but why no English music? I just plain don't have any (legal) access to Japanese music that I could identify in any way (my only access is though iTunes podcasts that have obscure names for titles and artists, plus I can't read or even remotely understand Japanese). iTunes doesn't allow access to the Japanese music store and the anime section is crap, and I don't have access to any other viable (legal) music stores. You're automatically eliminating anyone like me who might be interested in doing this, and while I don't exactly know how many people that is, it does make me feel rather singled-out. You can argue "this is the way it's always been" but I haven't been here before so I can't be expected to know that.
I'm not asking that you change the whole system for one slightly dissatisfied customer (wouldn't expect that of anyone) so much as I'd like it to be a little clearer, instead of the thread miscategorized and not enough broadcasting of the news. I wanted so much to be in this that I was going to miss out on the SSBB tournament (which I have no chance of winning anyway) to participate, but since it's obviously too late, and because I wouldn't have a chance with my pathetic knowledge of Japanese language/music anyway, it looks like I'll be playing Brawl anyway. PLEASE be clearer with this next time.

#270 User is offline   Sean Chen 

  • Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 9195
  • Posts: 142
  • Joined: 02-February 07
  • Location:Chicago, IL

Posted 21 April 2008 - 09:20 PM

View PostReki K, on Apr 21 2008, 08:20 PM, said:

A few comments here:
I don't see why this thread isn't in the "Special Events" board, the description for which specifically says "for events like...ACen Idol." This would have been very helpful to know.
I sort of understand why the signup was for March 30th, but for me (because I didn't have any clue where to find this information until I saw today that someone on Special Events linked here about it), I couldn't have possibly known in time. Better/more organization/advertisement for that would be much appreciated next time.
I don't quite understand why ACen Idol is required to be East Asian music. I know that it's supposed to be a convention celebrating otaku-ism, which is based on mostly favor towards Japanese culture, but why no English music? I just plain don't have any (legal) access to Japanese music that I could identify in any way (my only access is though iTunes podcasts that have obscure names for titles and artists, plus I can't read or even remotely understand Japanese). iTunes doesn't allow access to the Japanese music store and the anime section is crap, and I don't have access to any other viable (legal) music stores. You're automatically eliminating anyone like me who might be interested in doing this, and while I don't exactly know how many people that is, it does make me feel rather singled-out. You can argue "this is the way it's always been" but I haven't been here before so I can't be expected to know that.
I'm not asking that you change the whole system for one slightly dissatisfied customer (wouldn't expect that of anyone) so much as I'd like it to be a little clearer, instead of the thread miscategorized and not enough broadcasting of the news. I wanted so much to be in this that I was going to miss out on the SSBB tournament (which I have no chance of winning anyway) to participate, but since it's obviously too late, and because I wouldn't have a chance with my pathetic knowledge of Japanese language/music anyway, it looks like I'll be playing Brawl anyway. PLEASE be clearer with this next time.



Sorry you didn't know about this. Did you try typing "Acen Idol" in the forum search? Also, none of us are Japanese. This isn't purely a singing competition, but another event in the spirit of Anime and Japanese Culture, just like you said. It's like saying that the Acen game show should not be just about anime because it discourages people who don't watch that much, or that the Masquarade should not just involve anime characters because it alienates people who just like to dress up cool.

  • 11 Pages +
  • « First
  • 7
  • 8
  • 9
  • 10
  • 11
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users