Anime Central Forums: Acen Idol 2008 Offical Rules And The Like - Anime Central Forums

• 11 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Acen Idol 2008 Offical Rules And The Like AUDITION DEADLINE IS MARCH 30, 2008 NO EXCEPTIONS!

#211 User is offline   Master Aniki 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 16764

Posted 12 April 2008 - 07:43 PM

View PostSpydie, on Apr 12 2008, 08:57 PM, said:

I'm really upset because I think some people got others to "stuff the ballots" for the forum votes. I didn't think the whole forum voting thing was fair, to be honest.

I'm also really upset because singing is like...my life right now. I'm in several choirs at school and church (even though I'm not religious) and I take private voice lessons. It really upsets me because I really wanted to showcase the songs that I wanted to sing.

I really wish I could be a judge. *sigh*

xD; I'm actually kind of offended by this. I'm not competing in ACen Idol, nor did I audition, but I did fill out one of the forum judging sheets.

Let me tell you something xD; Filling out that ballot wasn't exactly a walk in the park. It took a lot of effort and a lot of time. More time than a lot of people have to spend, really. You had to go through, listen to every song, then you had to judge every song based on four different categories, and then you had to leave a comment that was at least one sentence long for EVERY entry. I doubt people would go through all of that work just to up that tiny little bit of score for a friend. Especially considering that they were only worth about 25% of the final score. More a suggestion for the judges than anything else, and it's just plain rude to accuse people, all of whom are very, very talented, of cheating in order to get into the top 18.

Also, I would have to say that I agree with the judge's decision to limit it to 18 if there was such a big gap between 18 and 19. It would have been pointless to include the other two performers if they weren't technically up to par with the other singers.

Maybe, instead of complaining and acting haughty and being insulted that you didn't make it, maybe you should ask the judges what it was about your audition that they didn't feel was up to the same level as the other people who did make it in.

[Edit: If you want, PM me, and I'll tell you what it was that I commented on your song.]
Ly(ndsay)

AWOL Panelists 2010 Team Leader
No! Stop! It Feels Good!- A Hentai Panel (18+)
Yuri: Doing It the Right Way (18+)
Yaoi From Top to Bottom(18+)
Shoujo-ai: Girl Love Without the Sticky Mess(16+)

#212 User is offline   Spydie 

• Registration Staff
  • PipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 4073

Posted 12 April 2008 - 07:45 PM

View PostAlicorn, on Apr 13 2008, 01:38 AM, said:

I wonder if I'll be free to listen to the next rounds at the con...maybe, maybe not, we'll see. Good luck to everyone who made it through!

I can see where you're coming from with the 18 top singers vs. the stated 20 (maybe with the complaints, they'll bring in those two additional border poeple?) It's disappointing to be cut :/ Kasemei & Spydie, you guys weren't bad, the ones who made the cut were just stellar :) I can PM you the comments I had on your songs if you want, so you can see someone else's perspective on your auditions.

It sucks you were sick, Kasemei! Ahehe, it kinda sounded like it when I listened to yours, I wasn't sure if it was sickness or just the way you sing (there are a couple of guys in my voice class right now who just sing like that all the time, though they're working on improving it). But they don't postpone the American Idol performances because one of the singers has a cold, it's just something you have to push through, argh >_< I hope everyone who worked hard and didn't quite get in will try again next year!

I really would like to read your comments! :3
I am made of awesome: pure, unfiltered awesome.

#213 User is offline   Komurin II 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 16688

Posted 12 April 2008 - 07:46 PM

Hey, Krista. I totally agree with what you're saying. I'm frustrated reading this too. A few of my friends voted and I hear from them that it took well over an hour to judge. I think some people are taking this competition way too seriously.

I mean, it's important to me but I wanted to get in on my own merit. It wouldn't mean anything if I only got in because I had more friends willing to lick my boots and sit through an hour of judging to get me in. I haven't asked my friends what they scored me and I won't, because I don't want to know. I wanted them to be able to be as honest and brutal as they wanted to be, anonymously. It's the only way I can hope to get genuine feedback from them. However good friends they are, there's just no good way to tell someone that they suck. You know?

I'm just happy I made it in.

I find it incredibly insulting for someone to imply that the ballots were stuffed. I feel everyone who made it in completely deserved their spot. So many of my fellow preforming 18 Idols are so incredibly talented that it's nothing short of offensive to even suggest that they needed to pad the votes.

My friend Candice had strep throat when she did her recording and she still made the cut.

As a professional singer, which we are all far from, an audition waits for no one. You just do your best and there are even singing techniques to try to compensate for illness. I'm suffering from seasonal allergies. Everyone has their problems and I'm sure everyone worked hard. It's not fair to complain about your circumstances just because you didn't get in.

I also agree with the top 15 cut, and I'm not saying this just because I made the cut. I was okay with it even when Voni was talking about a top 15 cut and I was entirely certain that I wasn't going to be up to par.

There's just no point in prolonging the first round like that if the point gap was as Voni suggested. Following the GPA metaphor I saw, it's like there's a standardized test that the school is letting the top 20 students take. Then they look at the preliminary scores and see that the top 18 and 19 students have GPAs of 3.5 and 3.0 respectively. They figure 19 and below just aren't ready for the test, so they cut it to 18 instead of 20.

That makes perfect sense to me. I don't find any reason to change this.

#214 User is offline   Kasemei 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 5705

Posted 12 April 2008 - 08:07 PM

Gah Gah Gah. Drama! *dies*

Spydie: I'm going to have to say this. I did agree with you about being unhappy about not making the cut. However, saying that people flooded the box was out of line. I voted in the forum ballots, and I can tell you that I spent a good THREE hours at MINIMUM listening to each track multiple times, giving plenty of critiques, and rating. I took a long time to do it, so I could do it right and vote fairly. I found your comment about stuffing the boxes INCREDIBLY insulting.

I didn't tell any of my friends to do the actual voting. What I told my friends was to listen to my track alone and evaluate it to find out what I did wrong. There was plenty wrong with my track, and even when I voted on myself I rated myself just as harshly. My timing was off going in for the first second, and the closing second, but overall I thought I did ok, fighting through my sickness.

Alicorn: It was the sickness. >.< That wasn't my first pick to sing, and usually that's the best song I can sing. I was going to save it for a later round, because it's in the best key. I was going to sing something almost just as good for the first round, so I could keep my ace later. However, my voice degenerated to the point where Bokutachi No Yukue was the ONLY song I could sing. I only could get half my vocal range, and that was on a good day during the entire time we were open for auditions, and even before then. Honestly, I had tracks recorded that were perfectly timed, but those tracks either had static or were slightly offkey. Which do I sacrafice? A little speed for the best intonation that I had at the time? Or do I go for the worse off intonation to make sure the speed matched? I picked the best run through I had intonation wise, and that's the one I ran with. I understand that sickness is something that a singer has to fight through. Heck, I've fought through playing a piano with a sprained ankle in an compeition which required use of said ankle to press the pedal.

I don't know, I guess it's the fact that it's so meaningful to me is why it's got me down. I know that everyone wants to enter and compete for their own reasons, but for me, I'm at a time where I feel like everything I'm trying at, is failing. >.< It's just getting me down really bad, and this is just taking another chunk out of my self-esteem. I think the vast majority of the people who made the cut were fantastic. I kinda wish that...I don't know...It's hard for me to explain, so I'll hope that what I've said clears it up... Also, again with the 20 to 18 people thing. >.<

Komurin II: Any suggestions on how to combat illness for vocals? I need some of those. @_@

Master Aniki: I understand where you're coming from, but I still think that because they said they were going to twenty, they should go to twenty. The gap between 18 and 19 wasn't the only reason that the cut was made, but also the reason that the points between 20-21 was extremely small. I think that's no excuse to cut 19 and 20. Even if the two were close, 19 and 20 I think should have gotten in because of the fact that it was stated that there would be twenty people competing, and I don't think that it's fair to all of a sudden change it. It's the same thing with the auditions that were discovered in Voni's spam box. She held true to her word and posted them to allow them to compete. I think that the same should apply to how many people should get in...

Again, that's just my opinion. Please don't take it offensively, I really don't want to start anything at all. >.<
Floating around the forums every so often.

Cosplays for 2011: Ciel Phantomhive Ballgown from Kuroshitsuji, Toph Bei Fong Fire Nation Disguise from Avatar: The Last Airbender, Revolutionary Girl Utena Schoolgirl outfit, and Meiling Hong from the Touhou Project.

#215 User is offline   Sean Chen 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 9195

Posted 12 April 2008 - 08:21 PM

I just want to add that audition rating does not equal your actual ability. It's like judging an athlete's overall worth based on one game. People are often very talented by sometimes do not showcase their skill in particular 2 minute clip.

Spydie, I honestly thought yours was rather hard to fault technically. I would ask for judging comments for specifics.

#216 User is offline   littlemisszombie 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 17039

Posted 12 April 2008 - 09:36 PM

View PostSpydie, on Apr 12 2008, 07:33 PM, said:

I didn't say anyone was lesser than me. I'm just really peeved that I didn't make it in because I do take this incredibly seriously. I'm in the bottom 40%. Why not just stamp "YOU SUCK!" across my forehead? I'm not meaning to upset anyone, I'm ranting cuz I am incredibly angry. I don't get it though...my intonation was good, my diction was good, I kept rhythm. I don't see why. ;_;

Let me remind you that this is an anime convention. Anime =/= life. If you think you're really good and want a shot at a singing career, find yourself a voice trainer and pitch yourself to some recording studios. Please stop whining about it here. You're offending not only the people who worked hard to compete as well as the people who took an equal amount of time, patience and dedication to listen to the recordings and judge them. Better luck next year.

#217 User is offline   voni ^__^ 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 6740

Posted 12 April 2008 - 09:46 PM

OMG >.< (I just spent the whole day at NFL qualifiers and missed the whole blow up >.<)

I kinda zipped through the posts so my apologies if I missed some things >.>

Not making it sucks. Honestly, I love singing to death and if I didn't run ACen Idol I would probably be singing my heart out and sound not so great doing it. For some reason I just can't sing that well in other languages, even though Iím pretty decent (I can carry a tune!) in English. It isn't because Iím not comfortable in other languages or anything, because I can speak Mandarin and Cantonese. But even when I try to sing in those languages... they come out sounding terrible all the same. I probably wouldn't have made the cut either. That probably had no relevance to anything at all ^.^

I promise all of you that stuffing the ballots was impossible (doesn't mean any of you should try it next year... JUST TO SPITE ME! XD). the reason I made everyone leave comments was because I wanted to make sure people's scores were legit. If people gave a questionable score, their comments had to explain the reason behind why they scored the audition the way it did. And just to clarify, I READ EVERY SINGLE COMMENT! (yay! go me :3). Everyone was amazing with their comments and I really, REALLY appreciate all the work the people that decided to fill the ballots put in. hugs to you all! You guys have my endless gratitude and thanks!

Regarding me saying I was going to be announcing twenty. Iím extremely sorry! I did not actually realize I typed in twenty until today when Sam told me -.-... I just thought it was weird that everyone thought there would be twenty even though I did not say anything regarding it (even though I actually did). It is just a title I am so used to using, "performing twenty" just came automatically came off my fingers and I am so sorry for all the confusion I caused. When the auditions closed, my intention and mindset was to cut down to fifteen, but the ballot scores made it apparent that the clear cut off point would be at eighteen. :\

Hopefully that covered some things that were talked about -.- so please let's not send negative juju to each other >.< This isn't what ACen Idol is about! (Goes to write email to those that made the cut... going to take a while)
Blog | Facebook | Pinterest

ACen Idol
Yvonne Luong
ACen 07-08 - Panel Programming - ACen Idol Coordinator

#218 User is offline   Komurin II 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 12 April 2008 - 09:53 PM

Huh, I remember clearly you saying that you might cut to either 15, 18, 20 so I wasn't all that surprised when you announced the preforming 20.

And, completely off topic. x3 You can speak Mandarin, Voni~? Can we chat together if there's time at the con? :3 *fluent in Mandarin* Cantonese not so much, but. :3 I love getting to practice my Chinese.

#219 User is offline   voni ^__^ 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 12 April 2008 - 10:02 PM

View PostKomurin II, on Apr 13 2008, 03:53 AM, said:

And, completely off topic. x3 You can speak Mandarin, Voni~? Can we chat together if there's time at the con? :3 *fluent in Mandarin* Cantonese not so much, but. :3 I love getting to practice my Chinese.

ewww no! i don't want to talk to you EVER! jk. hey, of course! you should go to the masquerade ball and we'll dance and converse in mandarin :3 it'll be amazing!

ACen Idol
Yvonne Luong

#220 User is offline   Komurin II 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 12 April 2008 - 10:05 PM

View Postvoni ^__^, on Apr 13 2008, 12:02 AM, said:

ewww no! i don't want to talk to you EVER! jk. hey, of course! you should go to the masquerade ball and we'll dance and converse in mandarin :3 it'll be amazing!

^_^ Oh, I was totally going to that anyway! Now I can't wait even more! :3 *so excited* I hope you'll forgive my Taiwanese accent. xD; *didn't grow up anywhere near the mainland*

#221 User is offline   Kasemei 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 12 April 2008 - 10:06 PM

View PostKomurin II, on Apr 13 2008, 03:53 AM, said:

Huh, I remember clearly you saying that you might cut to either 15, 18, 20 so I wasn't all that surprised when you announced the preforming 20.

Can I join! XD I'm Chinese!XD

Cosplays for 2011: Ciel Phantomhive Ballgown from Kuroshitsuji, Toph Bei Fong Fire Nation Disguise from Avatar: The Last Airbender, Revolutionary Girl Utena Schoolgirl outfit, and Meiling Hong from the Touhou Project.

#222 User is offline   Sean Chen 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 9195

Posted 12 April 2008 - 10:22 PM

Mandarin speaker here too!

#223 User is offline   voni ^__^ 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 12 April 2008 - 10:23 PM

View PostKomurin II, on Apr 13 2008, 04:05 AM, said:

^_^ Oh, I was totally going to that anyway! Now I can't wait even more! :3 *so excited* I hope you'll forgive my Taiwanese accent. xD; *didn't grow up anywhere near the mainland*

OMG i'm taiwanese too (well my mum is)! ziing!

View PostKasemei, on Apr 13 2008, 04:06 AM, said:

Can I join! XD I'm Chinese!XD

no. no, you cant. XD

View PostSean Chen, on Apr 13 2008, 04:22 AM, said:

Mandarin speaker here too!

chinese ppl for the win! XD

ACen Idol
Yvonne Luong

#224 User is offline   Kashiin Fayden 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 16217

Posted 12 April 2008 - 10:28 PM

Wow... Lots of people speak Chinese here o.0 I only speak a little T^T
Oh no 너 허튼 생각 마 닥치고 이걸 봐 여긴 니가 버린 땅
DJ SiSeN for ACen 09!
MySpaceFacebook

#225 User is offline   Roxas 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 6878

Posted 12 April 2008 - 10:40 PM

View PostKashiin Fayden, on Apr 13 2008, 04:28 AM, said:

That's okay, I speak absolutely NONE. I feel really cool compared to you all xD;

(totally sarcasm right there, by the way)
Krista~ <3

#226 User is offline   Kasemei 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 12 April 2008 - 10:56 PM

Aw Voni! *cries*

XD

You're coolies too Roxas!

#227 User is offline   Komurin II 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 12 April 2008 - 11:46 PM

View Postvoni ^__^, on Apr 13 2008, 12:23 AM, said:

OMG i'm taiwanese too (well my mum is)! ziing!

x3 Oh yay~! :D *loves being Taiwanese*

And yay for everyone who can speak Mandarin! x3 We should all have lunch and chat or something. That would make my day. :3

I really wanted to sing a Chinese song for Idol, but I couldn't find anything resembling instrumentals or anything. :o

Have any of you guys ever looked into it/had any luck?

#228 User is offline   littlemisszombie 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 17039

Posted 13 April 2008 - 12:42 AM

View PostKomurin II, on Apr 12 2008, 11:46 PM, said:

And yay for everyone who can speak Mandarin! x3 We should all have lunch and chat or something. That would make my day. :3

D: And I'll sit there and look awkward in my Mediterranean-ness.

#229 User is offline   Gabichox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 59269

Posted 13 April 2008 - 01:06 AM

i was actually not surprised that i didnt make it o__o for various reasons XD heck i decided not to go to acen even before the performing '20' was announced. so if i made it there would be no point.
but honestly its acen idol. its not american idol DX so theres no reason to go and get all sad about it. i mean sure it sucks but theres always a new opportunity especially if you are so serious about it.
ACen 2014 cosplay;
Donald Duck - [Thursday]
Elf - Dragon's Crown [Friday]
Agnès Oblige!Freelancer - Bravely Default [Saturday]

#230 User is offline   tatsumakichan 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 17729

Posted 13 April 2008 - 01:44 AM

View PostKashiin Fayden, on Apr 12 2008, 11:28 PM, said:

Wait... is there no one who can speak Cantonese? I speak Cantonese (HK slang)
Guess I'll be alone T-T
(Thank goodness, i'm dragging some friends)
Cosplay 2011: X23 (MvC3), Female!Japan (APH)

Blog: http://jenniferkwanart.blogspot.com/
Deviantart: Art Account and Photo/cosplay Account

#231 User is offline   Animexcel 

• Production Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 80

Posted 13 April 2008 - 01:51 AM

I'm Chinese and I can't speak a lot of Chinese... u_u;; it sad.... I don't even know how to play Mahjong.
ACen Mascot Artist

#232 User is offline   tatsumakichan 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 April 2008 - 02:59 AM

View PostAnimexcel, on Apr 13 2008, 02:51 AM, said:

I'm Chinese and I can't speak a lot of Chinese... u_u;; it sad.... I don't even know how to play Mahjong.

What!? and you call yourself Chinese! jkjk

I love mahjong and at least once every week. my family and I gather around and play (without money of course). It is sort of like what American's called "Family Game Night". Technically speaking, I am American too.

#233 User is offline   kpopgrrl 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 8857

Posted 13 April 2008 - 11:09 AM

I took Mandarin in high school. It's been a few years but I still remember a lot (probably less than I forgot). I'd love to brush up! :)

Edit: And I'd like to get on the meet and greet too!

#234 User is offline   voni ^__^ 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 13 April 2008 - 11:59 AM

View PostKomurin II, on Apr 13 2008, 05:46 AM, said:

x3 Oh yay~! :D *loves being Taiwanese*

I really wanted to sing a Chinese song for Idol, but I couldn't find anything resembling instrumentals or anything. :o

Have any of you guys ever looked into it/had any luck?

i'm going to send the email... sometime today or tomorrow. state forensics is eating up my time like no other so that is why it is taking so long >.> many apologies! but if you have a song in mind i can always look for the karaoke for you is basically what is gonna be in it.

View Postlittlemisszombie, on Apr 13 2008, 06:42 AM, said:

D: And I'll sit there and look awkward in my Mediterranean-ness.

lol, we'll make sure to make you feel extremely awakkkrkdkd by using asian speak and confusing you XD

View PostAnimexcel, on Apr 13 2008, 07:51 AM, said:

i don't understand that game either T__T

View Posttatsumakichan, on Apr 13 2008, 08:59 AM, said:

What!? and you call yourself Chinese! jkjk

I love mahjong and at least once every week. my family and I gather around and play (without money of course). It is sort of like what American's called "Family Game Night". Technically speaking, I am American too.

why is it technically speaking?... sorry i'm slow =.=

View Postkpopgrrl, on Apr 13 2008, 05:09 PM, said:

I took Mandarin in high school. It's been a few years but I still remember a lot (probably less than I forgot). I'd love to brush up! :)

Edit: And I'd like to get on the meet and greet too!

KARAOKE MEET AND GREET! YAYYYY! (i wanna go too >.>)

ACen Idol
Yvonne Luong

#235 User is offline   Kasemei 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 13 April 2008 - 04:04 PM

Wheeee!!!!

Also, I think there's a kind of movement for karaoke this year. We did it last year, when kpopgrrl ran it. Hopefully it'll run again this year. If so, I hope everyone decides to stop by! XD

Litttlemisszombie: Don't feel bad! We all still share one language! English!!!! XDXD

What about Japanese? Who here can speak Japanese? XD

#236 User is offline   Jam-Kiske 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 10878

Posted 13 April 2008 - 04:39 PM

You crazy Asians.

I decided not to take Chinese when my school started offering it... >> So yeah... I don't know any.

I'll be Mexican over here... [goes in a corner]

All I can speak is English, Spanish, French, Portuguese, and really lame anime-learned survivial Japanese... xD

And we really should have a hangout somehow... if they're gonna have karaoke it'd be sweet to do it then!
Oops can't afford to go to ACEN anymore! >:

#237 User is offline   Komurin II 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 13 April 2008 - 05:02 PM

xD I'm a second year Japanese student and I can understand most basic things. Answering is a bit harder for me, though.

And to littlemisszombie.... Yeah, should totally sit around her and speak loud Chinese while once in a while dropping her name loudly and looking at her to make her all paranoid. xD How's that sound, Candice?

And yay Voni to save the day. 8D *does have a few songs in mind*

#238 User is offline   highperjackie 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 17713

Posted 13 April 2008 - 05:11 PM

.....perhaps it's time to learn Chinese...?

I can speak Japanese and Korean...anybody want to converse with me while everyone else goes into China mode? *sniff*

except Sean.. cause we already do that.

and let us have fun instead of being mean and grudgeful, if that's even a word. ;)

#239 User is offline   Kasemei 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 13 April 2008 - 05:15 PM

OMG. Some of us should totally host a time to learn Chinese panel. hahaha I'm running the time to learn Japanese one..XD

#240 User is offline   tatsumakichan 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 April 2008 - 05:15 PM

View Postvoni ^__^, on Apr 13 2008, 12:59 PM, said:

i'm going to send the email... sometime today or tomorrow. state forensics is eating up my time like no other so that is why it is taking so long >.> many apologies! but if you have a song in mind i can always look for the karaoke for you is basically what is gonna be in it.

lol, we'll make sure to make you feel extremely awakkkrkdkd by using asian speak and confusing you XD

i don't understand that game either T__T

why is it technically speaking?... sorry i'm slow =.=

KARAOKE MEET AND GREET! YAYYYY! (i wanna go too >.>)

By "technically speaking", I mean that I am <<literally>> American, as in I was born and raised here and I have a citizenship. But I have a Chinese bg.

Yes!!! Chinese Karaoke and... booze... jk
(but seriously, you can't have just plain karaoke... that would be... bad)

• 11 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users