Anime Central Forums: So Youre Showing In The Art Show... - Anime Central Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

So Youre Showing In The Art Show...

#1 User is offline   Purplegodess 

  • MAPS Director & Art and Publications Manager
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Administrator
  • Member No.: 5803
  • Posts: 846
  • Joined: 29-December 05
  • Location:down the rabbit hole

Post icon  Posted 25 February 2008 - 05:17 PM

Things to keep in mind for those who are showing in the art show:
~Remember to have your pieces framed or matted-( i saw a really nice presentation last year of peices that were matted and then covered with a platic protector it looked really nice)
~Try to keep in mind how you are planning to hang them, Ie is there a wire on the back to hook things up or not. or how you could make an apparatus.
~Before coming to con try to figure out the title of your peice and starting bid and quick sale prices, these things will cut down your time registering as you will need them when turning in your peices.
~Consider making a buisness card holder to place next to your works

So i hope that helps anyone! :heart:

Art and Publications Manager
Convention Officer:Secretary 2008-2014
M.A.P.S. Director
Artist Alley DH 2007-2008

Live like there is no tomorrow, and dream like you'll live forever...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

#2 User is offline   Plaguedog 

  • Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 8033
  • Posts: 66
  • Joined: 20-September 06
  • Location:Unterland

Posted 25 February 2008 - 05:46 PM

:D If you are putting large prints or canvases onto a table flat- consider picking up an mini easel or some kind of table top holder to prop you pictures upright :D It makes them nice and easy to see.
~~~~
Artist Alley Staff 2007

No.. Plaguedog doesn't have cooties. <3
~~~~

#3 User is offline   usagiskitchen 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 17070
  • Posts: 7
  • Joined: 31-January 08

Posted 26 February 2008 - 08:12 PM

Can we have 3D (i.e. sculptures) in the art show? If so how do we display it?
VISIT MY SITE G-MONEY
www.usagiskitchen.com

see you at the alley (hopefully x_x)

2009 cosplays: (no particular order)
L4D:Zoey
Mirrors Edge: Faith
No More Heroes:Shinobu

#4 User is offline   Voltaire30 

  • Exhibit Space DH
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Department Head
  • Member No.: 8053
  • Posts: 972
  • Joined: 22-September 06
  • Location:Lake Villa

Posted 28 February 2008 - 12:14 AM

View Postusagiskitchen, on Feb 26 2008, 08:12 PM, said:

Can we have 3D (i.e. sculptures) in the art show? If so how do we display it?

I believe that there are available art show tables for you to display 3D objects. You would need to provide your own setup to display your art work. This is as far as I know, I will try and get in contact with The Show ADH or our DH to confirm nothing has changed from what I know.
Exhibit Space Department Manager 2009, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, & 15
Exhibit Space Assistant Manager 2007 & 08

If you have any Questions, Comments, and/or Concerns, Feel Free to Contact us by using one of the emails below.
ArtistAlley@ACen.org - ArtShow@ACen.org - ExhibitHall@ACen.org - ExhibitSpace@ACen.org

Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance & Promotes Premium Productivity
"The optimistic way to look at your own art, performance, or results when someone tells you that you're not good enough, is to think that there's still room to improve. When you believe your artwork, performance, or results are perfect, it's the end of your career."

#5 User is offline   Plaguedog 

  • Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 8033
  • Posts: 66
  • Joined: 20-September 06
  • Location:Unterland

Posted 28 February 2008 - 07:38 AM

Yup. We do put tables in the art show for 3d work and work that is too large to be hung up. You can display it just as is, set on the table or you can bring things such at shadow boxes, display cases, or rotating tabletop stands. If what you are showing is very small I would recommend some kind of display case :) There are some small clear plastic ones that are only about $2 at craft stores.
~~~~
Artist Alley Staff 2007

No.. Plaguedog doesn't have cooties. <3
~~~~

#6 User is offline   Lezzy-cat 

  • Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 7032
  • Posts: 378
  • Joined: 04-May 06
  • Location:Dearborn Heights, MI

Posted 19 March 2008 - 03:40 PM

Is there a waiting list for the art show? I know there's a form to be on the waiting list for the Alley in general, but it makes no mention of the art show...
Artist for Catstered Creations
http://www.catsteredcreations.com

#7 User is offline   meef 

  • Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 3767
  • Posts: 194
  • Joined: 06-February 05

Posted 21 April 2008 - 08:11 PM

View PostLezzy-cat, on Mar 19 2008, 09:40 PM, said:

Is there a waiting list for the art show? I know there's a form to be on the waiting list for the Alley in general, but it makes no mention of the art show...


I was also wondering this. I don't want a table in the artist's alley, I just want to sell one piece of framed art in the art show. Is there a way to register for that or a fee?

#8 User is offline   Lezzy-cat 

  • Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 7032
  • Posts: 378
  • Joined: 04-May 06
  • Location:Dearborn Heights, MI

Posted 21 April 2008 - 08:13 PM

View Postmeef, on Apr 21 2008, 10:11 PM, said:

I was also wondering this. I don't want a table in the artist's alley, I just want to sell one piece of framed art in the art show. Is there a way to register for that or a fee?

See I had gotten a table in the alley ages ago, and I just recently thought that it would be fun to get an art show flat too, but nobody's responded to my question... -.-
Artist for Catstered Creations
http://www.catsteredcreations.com

#9 User is offline   Purplegodess 

  • MAPS Director & Art and Publications Manager
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Administrator
  • Member No.: 5803
  • Posts: 846
  • Joined: 29-December 05
  • Location:down the rabbit hole

Posted 22 April 2008 - 06:57 AM

View PostLezzy-cat, on Apr 21 2008, 09:13 PM, said:

See I had gotten a table in the alley ages ago, and I just recently thought that it would be fun to get an art show flat too, but nobody's responded to my question... -.-

sorry it must have slipped my mind. There are still art show flats available, an they are available for at con rental as well. Just remember that your work has to be in the guidelines for work described in the rules. Then when you get to acen you can come visit the ART Show and ask for at con rental, we will be renting any spaces we have left out to the public. You'll have some forms to fill out but after that its all good.

Art and Publications Manager
Convention Officer:Secretary 2008-2014
M.A.P.S. Director
Artist Alley DH 2007-2008

Live like there is no tomorrow, and dream like you'll live forever...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

#10 User is offline   Lezzy-cat 

  • Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 7032
  • Posts: 378
  • Joined: 04-May 06
  • Location:Dearborn Heights, MI

Posted 23 April 2008 - 05:17 AM

View PostPurplegodess, on Apr 22 2008, 08:57 AM, said:

sorry it must have slipped my mind. There are still art show flats available, an they are available for at con rental as well. Just remember that your work has to be in the guidelines for work described in the rules. Then when you get to acen you can come visit the ART Show and ask for at con rental, we will be renting any spaces we have left out to the public. You'll have some forms to fill out but after that its all good.

Is there any way to get one ahead of time, or do we have to wait for con now? Before you could reserve a flat with an AA table, but the flat option isn't there anymore...
Artist for Catstered Creations
http://www.catsteredcreations.com

#11 User is offline   KohakuHime 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Purge for Inactivity
  • Member No.: 4710
  • Posts: 10
  • Joined: 17-May 05
  • Location:DeKalb NIU

Posted 03 June 2008 - 09:05 AM

View PostPurplegodess, on Feb 25 2008, 06:17 PM, said:

Things to keep in mind for those who are showing in the art show:
~Remember to have your pieces framed or matted-( i saw a really nice presentation last year of peices that were matted and then covered with a platic protector it looked really nice)
~Try to keep in mind how you are planning to hang them, Ie is there a wire on the back to hook things up or not. or how you could make an apparatus.
~Before coming to con try to figure out the title of your peice and starting bid and quick sale prices, these things will cut down your time registering as you will need them when turning in your peices.
~Consider making a buisness card holder to place next to your works

So i hope that helps anyone! :heart:



I just wanted to say that the show was very small this year. I would have loved to put my photographs in the show - but after I sent multiple emails to purple with no response ( there was a response to the first email i sent - i was told to do the waiting list form which I did and patiently waited....) but I never heard back after emailing a couple of times there after - Along with PM's here.... At some point I gave up...assuming that no responses meant that the art show was full - and I wasn't going to drag my framed photos to the con without some kind of confirmation I would be displayed....however it was painfully obvious and a huge disappointment that the show was quite empty and far from full show when i checked on Saturday.

I hope this doesnt happen to anyone else.

#12 User is offline   Juno 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 10208
  • Posts: 2
  • Joined: 05-April 07

Posted 27 June 2008 - 03:22 PM

It was a huge disappointment this year. I've never had trouble selling pieces before - especially not my big pieces. I took pieces home that usually have bid wars up to $200!

Any news on when the checks are going to be getting mailed? I really need the money and can't really wait much longer. :(

#13 User is offline   nolavon 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 7012
  • Posts: 11
  • Joined: 02-May 06
  • Location:Massachusetts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 01:28 PM

View PostJuno, on Jun 27 2008, 09:22 PM, said:

It was a huge disappointment this year. I've never had trouble selling pieces before - especially not my big pieces. I took pieces home that usually have bid wars up to $200!

Any news on when the checks are going to be getting mailed? I really need the money and can't really wait much longer. :(


I wish my art would sell for 200. *happy it sold for more than 40 in 18X24 size* I was wondering the same thing (about the checks) and even sent out an email. Yet to get a response...but I need the money as well

#14 User is offline   EtoileEyes 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 1058
  • Posts: 29
  • Joined: 18-September 03
  • Location:Fort Wayne, IN, USA

Posted 10 July 2008 - 06:30 AM

I'm waiting to hear about an ETA on the art show checks as well. We sold one really big piece that we were planning on taking to Otakon and we'd like to use that money towards our Otakon trip. The department head had said 6-8 weeks for the checks at Con, but I haven't heard anything about them since.

#15 User is offline   Voltaire30 

  • Exhibit Space DH
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Department Head
  • Member No.: 8053
  • Posts: 972
  • Joined: 22-September 06
  • Location:Lake Villa

Posted 12 July 2008 - 11:39 PM

I apologize for the slow response to your questions about the checks. Unfortunately Artist Alley/Show does not handle the cutting of the checks. We have put in for information pertaining to the checks and when they will be cut. Once again I apologize for the slow response and for any inconvenience this may/is causing.
Exhibit Space Department Manager 2009, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, & 15
Exhibit Space Assistant Manager 2007 & 08

If you have any Questions, Comments, and/or Concerns, Feel Free to Contact us by using one of the emails below.
ArtistAlley@ACen.org - ArtShow@ACen.org - ExhibitHall@ACen.org - ExhibitSpace@ACen.org

Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance & Promotes Premium Productivity
"The optimistic way to look at your own art, performance, or results when someone tells you that you're not good enough, is to think that there's still room to improve. When you believe your artwork, performance, or results are perfect, it's the end of your career."

#16 User is offline   EtoileEyes 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 1058
  • Posts: 29
  • Joined: 18-September 03
  • Location:Fort Wayne, IN, USA

Posted 30 July 2008 - 06:31 AM

View PostVoltaire30, on Jul 13 2008, 05:39 AM, said:

I apologize for the slow response to your questions about the checks. Unfortunately Artist Alley/Show does not handle the cutting of the checks. We have put in for information pertaining to the checks and when they will be cut. Once again I apologize for the slow response and for any inconvenience this may/is causing.


Has there been any news regarding the checks being sent or why they are so backed up. It been almost 11 weeks since the con and no word yet on and ETA for the Art Show checks. Voltaire30 I do appreciate your response, I was just really hoping to settle up with this con before I headed to my next one. I've got bills to pay unfortunately and that painting and prints that we sold could really help. Let me know if you hear anything please!!

#17 User is offline   thatreevesgirl 

  • Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 5892
  • Posts: 41
  • Joined: 09-January 06

Posted 09 August 2008 - 07:01 AM

You know, I thought that it was the biggest tragedy ever when I forgot to pack my box of art for the art show in the car and had to put up three sub-par arts that weren't supposed to be used in the show instead.

Now I'm thinking that it was a good thing I'm a complete scatterbrain. I've had two cons since ACEN, and I've been able to sell and receive payment for the art I forgot. I still have yet to receive the check for the two art pieces I sold at ACEN. My idiocy was a blessing in disguise I suppose. I might have cried had I sold those forgotten pieces at ACEN and was still waiting on the payment.

I do want to sell in the art show next year, but if this doesn't get resolved soon, then I'm not sure I will. I'm positive it is the same for the other artists as well. Almost three months is a long time to wait for payment. I would really appreciate if someone would check up on the status of our checks please. Thanks very much!

#18 User is offline   Miss Shaina 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Purge for Inactivity
  • Member No.: 19317
  • Posts: 2
  • Joined: 28-August 08
  • Location:st. charles

Posted 28 August 2008 - 03:03 PM

Hey, I'm new to this forum, but by chance got to work at an artists alley table last year....
BUT, I have no idea where I can find this artists alley "waiting list"? I'm very eager to get a table again this year....
Can someone help me out? :heart: :heart: :heart:

#19 User is offline   Millions_Knives 

  • Masquerade Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 8636
  • Posts: 2,730
  • Joined: 27-November 06
  • Location:lynwood il

Posted 28 August 2008 - 06:38 PM

youll have to wait
try back around halloween maybe
want to learn about cosplay materials? click here->my youtube cosplay tips and tricks<-click here

#20 User is offline   Miss Shaina 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Purge for Inactivity
  • Member No.: 19317
  • Posts: 2
  • Joined: 28-August 08
  • Location:st. charles

Posted 01 September 2008 - 03:35 PM

View PostMillions_Knives, on Aug 28 2008, 07:38 PM, said:

youll have to wait
try back around halloween maybe

Thanks, I just want to make sure I get a booth <3

#21 User is offline   Lezzy-cat 

  • Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 7032
  • Posts: 378
  • Joined: 04-May 06
  • Location:Dearborn Heights, MI

Posted 02 September 2008 - 05:24 AM

So has anyone gotten their money yet? I was thinking about making something for the art show next year, but as someone mentioned above, if its going to take this long to receive payment for it, I'm not sure I want to do it anymore :/ Anyone know exactly what the hold up is? Has it always taken this long, or are there just a million problems this year?
Artist for Catstered Creations
http://www.catsteredcreations.com

#22 User is offline   Voltaire30 

  • Exhibit Space DH
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Department Head
  • Member No.: 8053
  • Posts: 972
  • Joined: 22-September 06
  • Location:Lake Villa

Posted 02 September 2008 - 08:15 PM

View PostLezzy-cat, on Sep 2 2008, 06:24 AM, said:

So has anyone gotten their money yet? I was thinking about making something for the art show next year, but as someone mentioned above, if its going to take this long to receive payment for it, I'm not sure I want to do it anymore :/ Anyone know exactly what the hold up is? Has it always taken this long, or are there just a million problems this year?


I had gotten confirmation that the checks had been cut and were in the mail. It was around middle of august. Things should flow a lot better for this next year. If anyone has yet to receive their check, PLEASE pm me ASAP.
Exhibit Space Department Manager 2009, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, & 15
Exhibit Space Assistant Manager 2007 & 08

If you have any Questions, Comments, and/or Concerns, Feel Free to Contact us by using one of the emails below.
ArtistAlley@ACen.org - ArtShow@ACen.org - ExhibitHall@ACen.org - ExhibitSpace@ACen.org

Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance & Promotes Premium Productivity
"The optimistic way to look at your own art, performance, or results when someone tells you that you're not good enough, is to think that there's still room to improve. When you believe your artwork, performance, or results are perfect, it's the end of your career."

#23 User is offline   nolavon 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 7012
  • Posts: 11
  • Joined: 02-May 06
  • Location:Massachusetts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 11:45 PM

View PostVoltaire30, on Sep 3 2008, 02:15 AM, said:

I had gotten confirmation that the checks had been cut and were in the mail. It was around middle of august. Things should flow a lot better for this next year. If anyone has yet to receive their check, PLEASE pm me ASAP.


I still havent gotten mine yet oO...I came back to check on this too.

#24 User is offline   Voltaire30 

  • Exhibit Space DH
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Department Head
  • Member No.: 8053
  • Posts: 972
  • Joined: 22-September 06
  • Location:Lake Villa

Posted 04 September 2008 - 12:26 AM

View Postnolavon, on Sep 4 2008, 12:45 AM, said:

I still havent gotten mine yet oO...I came back to check on this too.

if you would please pm me or email me with your info and what piece it was.
Exhibit Space Department Manager 2009, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, & 15
Exhibit Space Assistant Manager 2007 & 08

If you have any Questions, Comments, and/or Concerns, Feel Free to Contact us by using one of the emails below.
ArtistAlley@ACen.org - ArtShow@ACen.org - ExhibitHall@ACen.org - ExhibitSpace@ACen.org

Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance & Promotes Premium Productivity
"The optimistic way to look at your own art, performance, or results when someone tells you that you're not good enough, is to think that there's still room to improve. When you believe your artwork, performance, or results are perfect, it's the end of your career."

#25 User is offline   EtoileEyes 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 1058
  • Posts: 29
  • Joined: 18-September 03
  • Location:Fort Wayne, IN, USA

Posted 04 September 2008 - 06:05 AM

I wanted to let people know that we got our Art Show check the day before we left for Otakon. We were very happy it got to us and helped us pay for the trip to Baltimore :) I didn't want to be a downer on this page, it did take almost 3 months, but it came. Thanks for watching out for us Voltaire and keep up the great work. We're really looking forward to Acen next year.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users