Anime Central Forums: Coverage Guidelines-female - Anime Central Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Coverage Guidelines-female Exactly how much skin can I show?

#1 User is offline   Lucy 

• Pip
  • Group: Purge for Inactivity
  • Member No.: 17125

Posted 05 February 2008 - 02:13 AM

Yeah, I'm going to be cosplaying "bandaged Lucy" from Elfen Lied. My idea is to buy some sort of sturdy underwear/swimsuit and attach bandages to wrap around the important parts and make it look like that's all there is. But, this is only my second year cosplaying, and I'm worried about the regulations regarding how much of my body has to be covered. I'd rather not have to buy a leotard (limited funds and authenticity are both factors here) and all the "naughty bits" would be covered by said underwear/bikini. There's a pic linked below, though I would have more covering the important parts. Lucy's a little too nude for a con dressed like that. But same basic idea.

http://bp1.blogger.com/_PgzWtj7VIiM/RdSm1a...00-h/elfen3.jpg

Like I said, more bandages over the breasts and pelvic area. Would it be appropriate then?
2008 Costumes:

Lucy from Elfen Lied
Twilight Princess Zelda (maybe)
Miyuki from Lucky Star

#2 User is offline   Alkaren Hyralt 

• Forums Manager
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrator
  • Member No.: 6130

Posted 05 February 2008 - 02:31 AM

The con as I recall is considered to be "PG-13". There are also indecency laws to consider, which I do not know. I would lean heavily towards saying that would be too skimpy.
-Zac /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
ACen 2012 - Guest Relations Handlers DH
ACen 2010, 2011 - Guest Relations Operations ADH
ACen 2008, 2009 - Main Programming ADH
ACen 2006, 2007 - Main Programming Staff
Drunken Otaku Syndicate Member - "This is what happens when you give me vodka that tastes like water!"
Alcoholic Hunter X of the ROS Order
AIM: Alkaren Hyralt / Facebook: alkaren
Questions about forums registration or in general please e-mail us

#3 User is offline   Kasin 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 13139

Posted 05 February 2008 - 02:42 AM

View PostAlkaren Hyralt, on Feb 5 2008, 02:31 AM, said:

The con as I recall is considered to be "PG-13". There are also indecency laws to consider, which I do not know. I would lean heavily towards saying that would be too skimpy.

there was a blonde, who had a small cloud over her chest one on her crotch and one on her but...sooo, i'd say no...not too skimpy at all
Anime: hell girl, & trigun. Manga: Soul eater. / Games: Dragon Age, DCUO, batman, & soulsilver.i'm a rini fan boypokemon friend code: 2836 0346 5412 battle anytime, need to get my gold/silver code. wii code: 0061 4530 7677 7629. XBL: hitherkasin & PSN ID: kasin13in 2011 i will be cosplaying as gene starwind & kouga, also w/ my daughter we will do pokemon trainer red/ash & eevee/pikachu. in 2012 we will do hit girl & big daddy, also mini moon & tuxedo mask. in 2013 we will do wizardmon & kari with a gatomon plushie (ty teko!) also mystic gohan & pan. I will also do green ranger some day.

#4 User is offline   Iris 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 3989

Posted 05 February 2008 - 06:34 AM

As long as you have underwear and a bra on, I don't think that's too skimpy at all. Same thing as wearing a bikini to the beach.

Good luck with the costume! :3

#5 User is offline   Aonele 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 11231

Posted 05 February 2008 - 07:34 AM

I think you'll need someone who actually knows the rules to "cover" this for you (haha pun) I'd wait until an actual convention staff head who knows the rules well to give you the go or not if I were you.

And I do find the costume (or the lack thereof) a bit disturbing...But that's just me, I suppose :P
---Cosplay List 2012---
Will not be attending ;-;

#6 User is offline   Alicorn 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 8346

Posted 05 February 2008 - 08:30 AM

Based on precedence, if you were to wear a barely-covered nude-toned bikini/leotard so that it looks from a distance as though you're essentially naked, you would be asked to change. "No indecent costumes" is a line that's kind of subjective, I know, but that one would probably cross the line of "family con propriety".

The cloud-girl/Sexy no Jutsu Naruto last year? I didn't see her except in photos after the fact, but IIRC she was asked to return to her room and put some clothes on...maybe it took a while because the staffpeople who saw her thought she was hot? XD I've known cases where much less skimpy outfits were shown to IRT beforehand for clearance, even with a mock-up drawing of how it would work on the actual person, and were denied for decency reasons because of the areas that were exposed. Better to pick a more clothing-ful design and not worry about it :)

#7 User is offline   Alkaren Hyralt 

• Forums Manager
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrator
  • Member No.: 6130

Posted 05 February 2008 - 11:51 AM

View PostAonele, on Feb 5 2008, 07:34 AM, said:

I think you'll need someone who actually knows the rules to "cover" this for you (haha pun) I'd wait until an actual convention staff head who knows the rules well to give you the go or not if I were you.

I "know" the rules; I have them sitting beside me. The problem is, that it much more up to IRT (and not a programming staffer) and such... The rules state that costumes must conform to "indecency" laws though.

As to the naruto cosplayer last year: I work backstage of the convention. Last year I barely saw anything outside the back hallways except the extremely rare time I was leaving main programming for some reason so I wouldn't have seen who you are referring to. :[

However, given the family theme (and the fact that I can foresee parents of a 9 year-old or something having problems with it) I would think you would need more than "underwear/bikini".

There is also the matter of there may or may not be a policy concerning the wearing of shoes to consider as well.
-Zac /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
ACen 2012 - Guest Relations Handlers DH
ACen 2010, 2011 - Guest Relations Operations ADH
ACen 2008, 2009 - Main Programming ADH
ACen 2006, 2007 - Main Programming Staff
Drunken Otaku Syndicate Member - "This is what happens when you give me vodka that tastes like water!"
Alcoholic Hunter X of the ROS Order
AIM: Alkaren Hyralt / Facebook: alkaren
Questions about forums registration or in general please e-mail us

#8 User is offline   `Aygen` 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 4646

Posted 05 February 2008 - 01:04 PM

Idk ... a White bikini + white bandages artfully wrapped should cover the indecency bit because you are covered by a white bikini, not a flesh colored. If you mistake that for being nude at a distance ... your loss.

日の出では、大麻が舞う そこでラム酒を1パイントを上げると別のガブ飲みする モルガン船長の呪いこの運命に導いている
ない恐れがあるので、ドントルックバック 来世を待って!

_,.=+-~'"`^*^`"'~-+=.,_,.=+-~'"`^*^`"'~-+=.,_
Wii Code - 3597 5584 7250 3042
Xbox Live Tag - Kohato

_,.=+-~'"`^*^`"'~-+=.,_,.=+-~'"`^*^`"'~-+=.,_

#9 User is offline   Alicorn 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 8346

Posted 05 February 2008 - 01:22 PM

Oh, I was going on the assumption it was going to be flesh-toned :) I'd double-check with IRT for the end-all word, but if it were a white bikini it would be more likely to pass.

(Alkaren brought up shoes - if you do end up doing this and I presume she's meant to be barefoot, you can find flip-flops with clear straps, or those "sole-only" adhesive footwear. I forget the common brand name for the latter, but I've seen it come up on cosplay.com a lot in barefoot discussions. I know that for me, even if it weren't against the rules to go barefoot, I wouldn't want to get my feet all ooky on that floor ~_~)

ETA: wanted to add just as a general statement, for this idea or similarly scanty costumes, please don't wear panties/bra XD Find a swimsuit instead, or make one, because even though the coverage is the same, wearing underwear just LOOKS tacky and bad because you can usually tell it's just underwear. Underwear is meant to be UNDER your clothes...bikinis are supposed to be seen, so let 'em do their job!

#10 User is offline   Cuddles116 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 7378

Posted 05 February 2008 - 02:25 PM

A white bikini of flesh color leotard should be fine. If you can wear it to the beach without scarring children it shouldn't be an issue (AKA don't wear like a see thru tiny bikini top and then a thong or g string, everything should be covered) .

The sole only shoes are called topless sandals, google it to get to the site and check em out. They are basically the underside of a flip flop.
JenFur
Toxic Kiwi Wig/Prop Commissions
Anime Central 2011
. . Fri - Scanty (w/ Brief)- Panty & Stocking
. . Sat - Panty (w/ Brief)- Panty & StockingHalloween 2011 - Alice - Resident Evil Afterlife
Pictures - ACEN Aftershock, ACEN 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, Reactor 2009, 2007, [size=2]2006

#11 User is offline   Lucy 

• Pip

Posted 05 February 2008 - 06:56 PM

Thanks. I actually have a white bikini that might work...and it would mean less shopping. But I have a backup plan if all else fails. I hadn't even thought about footwear. Thank you all for your help. I wouldn't want to get myself in trouble at the con. <3
2008 Costumes:

Lucy from Elfen Lied
Miyuki from Lucky Star

#12 User is offline   Iris 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 3989

Posted 05 February 2008 - 10:43 PM

View PostAlicorn, on Feb 5 2008, 08:30 AM, said:

I've known cases where much less skimpy outfits were shown to IRT beforehand for clearance, even with a mock-up drawing of how it would work on the actual person, and were denied for decency reasons because of the areas that were exposed. Better to pick a more clothing-ful design and not worry about it :)

Is the con getting more conservative? I've worn my share of skimpy things in the past, and there was never any fuss from anyone. It really puzzles me that a bikini wouldn't be considered okay, because as someone else mentioned, it'd not like kids don't see that on the beach, or in their neighborhoods in the summertime.

I was pondering over the possibility of doing one of the DOA Xtreme bikini's as my Sunday outfit (obviously one of the ones that looks like a bathing suit, not the ones that look like floss or an inch of fabric). Is that going to be a problem now?

#13 User is offline   Edrik 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 6116

Posted 06 February 2008 - 12:04 AM

Nope. The official rule is as long as you're wearing what amounts to a bikini for girls and bikini briefs for guys (Guys are technically allowed to wear bikini tops if they like, but for the sake of my eyes I ask them not to), you're okay. As far as local indecency laws are concerned, ACEN regulations are actually more stringent, so if your costume is acceptable according to ACEN's rules you'll have no problems there.

#14 User is offline   shamurai7 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Suspended
  • Member No.: 9612

Posted 06 February 2008 - 01:36 AM

well i think it would be great if you were hot... but i dont know what you look like!!!!! if i like it you will know ill take pictures of you and ask what your doing later that night!!!!
myspace
me'n my cat spore
me'n fuus 2007
sleeping mugen hotel room

will be going as spike, kiseke urahara, and mugen!!! fri sat sun

#15 User is offline   Taz6672 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 970

Posted 09 February 2008 - 08:58 PM

Alright to finally answer your question once and for all. As long as your naughty bits are covered and it isn't simulated skin colored you can wear what you like. If you feel that wearing a white bikini will help with your cos-play that is ok. However Management does still reserve the right to ask you to put it away.

Thanks
Taz
IRT DH
TAZ

#16 User is offline   Lucy 

• Pip

Posted 10 February 2008 - 11:08 AM

Thank you so much. I'm working on making it look good, not tacky, so hopefully I won't have to change. You've been extremely helpful. =D

Thanks again.
2008 Costumes:

Lucy from Elfen Lied
Miyuki from Lucky Star

#17 User is offline   Riker 

• IRT Dispatcher
  • PipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 17316

Posted 25 February 2008 - 01:35 PM

Yeah, generally as long as you could wear it on a public beach, you can wear it at con. (This is just a rule of thumb; your mileage may vary.)
Riker
Night Shift Dispatcher, IRT
Programmer and Network Tech, IT Dept.
Convention Committee Member, Operations Section

Property of SongstressLenne ♥

Orbis Arangiam Nostram Est

#18 User is offline   OmNefarious_05 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 12081

Posted 21 April 2008 - 11:49 PM

You mean her
http://www.flickr.co...ious/666265879/

She is a good friend of mine and I was with her most of the time when she worked on that "costume". She did her best to make it "otaku" proof, meaning it couldnt come off if someone "accidentally" bumps it and parts of her come spilling out. I roomed with her and had to follow her around just to help keep some of the crazies at bay. Though that did earn my other friends and I the title of being stalkers.

I know it looks like she just has the clouds covering the good parts, but she neighbor-rigged a pair of tan panties and bra to basically look seamless and used the clear vinyl on the sides.

Needless to say she got a lot of attention in the few hours she was allowed to wear it. I think we got stopped literally every 2 minutes for pictures and we lost track after 600th person came up for pictures. Im not kidding. I think the longest we went without being stopped was 11 minutes.

When she was stopped to get checked by the IRT, they were talking to a Lagoto about his shoulder spikes being past the limit. They looked at my friend and let the Lagato go with out even blinking.

She could only wear the costume up until the Naruto shoot on friday night. Even still she wore it for like another hour or so afterwards.
Acen 2010 cosplay lineup: Byakuya Kuchki- Bleach, Stein- Soul Eater, Luffy- One Piece, Staraptor Gijinka- Pokemon

Twilight fans are the Scourge and Stephanie Meyer is the Lich King

#19 User is offline   Kasin 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 13139

Posted 22 April 2008 - 02:12 PM

View PostOmNefarious_05, on Apr 22 2008, 12:49 AM, said:

You mean her
http://www.flickr.co...ious/666265879/

She is a good friend of mine and I was with her most of the time when she worked on that "costume". She did her best to make it "otaku" proof, meaning it couldnt come off if someone "accidentally" bumps it and parts of her come spilling out. I roomed with her and had to follow her around just to help keep some of the crazies at bay. Though that did earn my other friends and I the title of being stalkers.

I know it looks like she just has the clouds covering the good parts, but she neighbor-rigged a pair of tan panties and bra to basically look seamless and used the clear vinyl on the sides.

Needless to say she got a lot of attention in the few hours she was allowed to wear it. I think we got stopped literally every 2 minutes for pictures and we lost track after 600th person came up for pictures. Im not kidding. I think the longest we went without being stopped was 11 minutes.

When she was stopped to get checked by the IRT, they were talking to a Lagoto about his shoulder spikes being past the limit. They looked at my friend and let the Lagato go with out even blinking.

She could only wear the costume up until the Naruto shoot on friday night. Even still she wore it for like another hour or so afterwards.

to tell the truth i didn't even know who she was cosplay as, i'm not a fan of naruto so much. she was cute though, she probably full filled alot of boys dreams...even though it's a guy transforming in to a girl.

yeah cute girl, and clouds to cover wiith tan panties...not good at convention, otakus swarm!
Anime: hell girl, & trigun. Manga: Soul eater. / Games: Dragon Age, DCUO, batman, & soulsilver.i'm a rini fan boypokemon friend code: 2836 0346 5412 battle anytime, need to get my gold/silver code. wii code: 0061 4530 7677 7629. XBL: hitherkasin & PSN ID: kasin13in 2011 i will be cosplaying as gene starwind & kouga, also w/ my daughter we will do pokemon trainer red/ash & eevee/pikachu. in 2012 we will do hit girl & big daddy, also mini moon & tuxedo mask. in 2013 we will do wizardmon & kari with a gatomon plushie (ty teko!) also mystic gohan & pan. I will also do green ranger some day.

#20 User is offline   The Puppeteer 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 14808

Posted 22 April 2008 - 02:37 PM

the costume has to follow all local dress code laws. if you use more bandages than in that than it should be fine. also use wider strips. they will cover more.
げんきですか?

who wants free cookies?!

#21 User is offline   GenericDreamers 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 586

Posted 25 April 2008 - 04:53 AM

There was one last year sunday.
She had 2 somewhat broad bandages
you should be fine.
ACEN 2011 PHOTOS
My personal site
My Deviantart
MySpace
Facebook

2010 Costumes
Ronove (Umineko) || Kamui Gackpo - Magnet ver. (Vocaloid) || Grave Robber (Repo!) || Brief (Panty & Stocking)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users