• This topic is locked

Otaku Stereotypes As it says....

#1 User is offline   Rena-Chan 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 4823

Post icon  Posted 04 February 2008 - 09:02 PM

Alright, for a potential presentation, I'm going to pose this question to you: what are some otaku stereotypes?
Do you have any pictures that--with facial masking for privacy, of course--that could be used to show the good and just plain wrong of when fans go overboard? Thanks! GOD BLESS!!!
Once the first blood is shed, there's no turning back. Loved ones can't be returned, actions can't be taken back, and no words can ever truly say 'sorry' enough. With a past drenched in blood and tomorrow obscured in a dark mist of uncertainty, I find it hard to set goals or make plans for my future--a future I'm not even sure I want to come. " - Weslyn Truce

Thanks for always making ACen so much fun, everyone!!! GOD BLESS!!!

#2 User is offline   Alkaren Hyralt 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 6130

Posted 04 February 2008 - 09:09 PM

Furries.
-Zac /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
ACen 2007 - Present - Forums Manager
ACen 2012 - Guest Relations Handlers DH
ACen 2010, 2011 - Guest Relations Operations ADH
ACen 2008, 2009 - Main Programming ADH
ACen 2006, 2007 - Main Programming Staff
Drunken Otaku Syndicate Member - "This is what happens when you give me vodka that tastes like water!"
Alcoholic Hunter X of the ROS Order
AIM: Alkaren Hyralt / Facebook: alkaren
Questions about forums registration or in general please e-mail us

#3 User is offline   TekoMuto 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 7072

Posted 05 February 2008 - 10:12 AM

this is a japanophile aka "weebo". he belives that if he says "desu" enough, he'll turn japanese
i've stopped posting links in my siggy due to degradation of the internet 5/23/12

#4 User is offline   mangahero 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 16782

Posted 05 February 2008 - 10:18 AM

well i love anime as much as the next person on these boards but something that bugs me AND i think is a stereotype is the otaku who tries to show off by speaking as much japanese as they can even if it makes no sense
Darko's Personal Bodyguard of the Apocolypse Army

Official Forum Ninja, UnHero and Thread Killer

Teko fan

#5 User is offline   XenoBlade 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 9384

Posted 05 February 2008 - 10:31 AM

Isn't Stereotypes a tad different? Such as an outer negitive force? Such as they are anti-social, fat, really skin and weak, doesn't venture out much, etc.
ACen 2013 Cosplays
Dragon Ball Z-Piccolo
Zero Escape 2: Virtue's Last Reward-Sigma
3rd cosplay:Either Zoro(One Piece),Sazh(Final Fantasy XIII), or Gintoki(Gintama).
"Sometimes I do suspect, I'm an actor in a well scripted live divine comedy..."-Shing02

#6 User is offline   FlyingElf 

• Honorary Forum Therapist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 447

Posted 05 February 2008 - 02:06 PM

I think the post more refers to the stereotypes within the otaku universe as in fangirl, fanboy, jrocker, gothic lolita and that sort.
Armageddicon!!
Columbus, OH December 21-23, 2012
http://animepunch.org/armageddicon/

#7 User is offline   Aonele 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 11231

Posted 05 February 2008 - 04:13 PM

View PostTekoMuto, on Feb 5 2008, 11:12 AM, said:

this is a japanophile aka "weebo". he belives that if he says "desu" enough, he'll turn japanese

It's spelled "Weeaboo" :P

Some stereotypical otaku's that I can think of:

1) Weeaboos, pretty much as Encyclopedia Dramatica defines it. I won't go into details about them, but most of them are extremely white, overweight, dim-witted, and snores Naruto anime like crack. They've probably watched tons of anime, but they can't tell you the difference/significance between Cowboy Bebop and Dragon Ball Z. Worships anything from Japan.
I think an appropriate sub-category for this is people who follow anime cuz of the sorts of pr0n it offers :P

2) Okay-ish otaku's, I think I fall under this category XD People under this category are mostly mild about anime. They have their anime/manga favorites, but you won't catch them busting their wallets for anime/manga. Feels that the otaku culture is cool, but wouldn't dive head-first into it, either.

3) Booky/Librarian Otaku's. They spend most of their time reading manga/watching anime, and make it their forte to study all anime/manga and train themselves to be able to discern anime/manga from another one. Basically, they watch anime/read manga and will proudly challenge you to a game of Anime/Manga Trivia any time of the day.

4) Jrock Otaku's XD Mostly watch anime/read manga because of influence from the Jrock culture. Or perhaps dived into the jrock culture due to anime/manga and started following the jrock culture more.

5) Gothic Lolita Otaku's: There are two sub-categories under this. First you have the completely serious kind of g-loli otaku's that would scold you if you didn't follow the lolita rules. Then you have ones that like the fashion but wouldn't break their necks to follow it. I'm more of the latter :P

Those are the kinds I can think of right now...I'll post more when I can think of them. Let me know if you'd like me to elaborate on any of them. Or people can throw in their views too.
---Cosplay List 2012---
Will not be attending ;-;

#8 User is offline   mini godzilla 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 9959

Posted 05 February 2008 - 05:09 PM

An otaku is someone who is so obsessed with anime they go anywhere without promoting it or talking about it their world revolves around anime if you don't breath eat and drink anime/manga then your not an otaku.
So basically otaku's are the people you see at conventions who don't sleep, eat or shower.

There's an entirely and completly different word for people who are obsessed with jrock or other things otaku only refers to manga and anime.
SELLING
Everything from posters, wall scrolls, games, manga, clothes, jrock magazines, etc for cheap
click HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#9 User is offline   GiveUpTheGhost 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 3441

Posted 05 February 2008 - 07:05 PM

I am going to go with the Over-hyper stereotype. Which I see alot of at the con's. Please don't come upto me speaking like your on meth!!!!!

Also smelly people are a huge problem at cons. Please for the love of god shower. They can take less than 5 minutes people!
My barren plan to be a better man
Rots in abandoned fields
These idle hands inherit spoiled lands
As the hungry become the pigs
We reap (and) we sow
We mourn who we were
Love what we lost

#10 User is offline   Millions_Knives 

• Masquerade Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 8636

Posted 05 February 2008 - 08:13 PM

View PostAonele, on Feb 5 2008, 10:13 PM, said:

2) Okay-ish otaku's, I think I fall under this category XD People under this category are mostly mild about anime. They have their anime/manga favorites, but you won't catch them busting their wallets for anime/manga. Feels that the otaku culture is cool, but wouldn't dive head-first into it, either.

=me

3) Booky/Librarian Otaku's. They spend most of their time reading manga/watching anime, and make it their forte to study all anime/manga and train themselves to be able to discern anime/manga from another one. Basically, they watch anime/read manga and will proudly challenge you to a game of Anime/Manga Trivia any time of the day.

=tecomuto
want to learn about cosplay materials? click here->my youtube cosplay tips and tricks<-click here

#11 User is offline   mangahero 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 16782

Posted 05 February 2008 - 08:22 PM

the kind who thinks that theyre better than you just because they know one more trivial little fact about a substory of a substory in a very obscure unknown anime/manga
Darko's Personal Bodyguard of the Apocolypse Army

Official Forum Ninja, UnHero and Thread Killer

Teko fan

#12 User is offline   sentinel28a 

• Mad Irishman
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 1435

Posted 05 February 2008 - 10:35 PM

Oh crap. That's me. (But I got paid a lot of money to teach that to college students. Am I still a Booky Otaku or just a guy who learned to make his obsession pay?)

Mangahero, I know not of what you speak. You mean to tell me you don't know what Ed's real name is from Cowboy Bebop? Or what kind of gun Rally Vincent carries? Or what happens at 1:32 of Episode 3 of the Buu Saga? YOU FAIL!

I am kidding, of course, but the sad thing is I know the answer to the first two questions.

Ben Da Mad Irishman
"I am a sad man"
See my art. Love it. Hug it. http://sentinel28a.d...art.com/gallery
Read my fanfiction. NOW. You'll thank me later.
First Place, Yahoo ACen League, 2006
First Place, NFL.com Otaku Amefuto League, 2012

Those who stand for nothing will fall for anything.
BEAR CAV!

#13 User is offline   Aonele 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 11231

Posted 06 February 2008 - 12:49 PM

View Postsentinel28a, on Feb 5 2008, 10:35 PM, said:

Oh crap. That's me. (But I got paid a lot of money to teach that to college students. Am I still a Booky Otaku or just a guy who learned to make his obsession pay?)

Mangahero, I know not of what you speak. You mean to tell me you don't know what Ed's real name is from Cowboy Bebop? Or what kind of gun Rally Vincent carries? Or what happens at 1:32 of Episode 3 of the Buu Saga? YOU FAIL!

I am kidding, of course, but the sad thing is I know the answer to the first two questions.

Ben Da Mad Irishman
"I am a sad man"

Well, as long as you fit in the definition, whether or not you make money you're still a booky otaku :P

And yes, you are a sad man XD
---Cosplay List 2012---
Will not be attending ;-;

#14 User is offline   Fairy Godmoose 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Purge for Inactivity
  • Member No.: 8964

Posted 06 February 2008 - 06:02 PM

The ones who have been reduced to living in their parents' basement 'cause they spent all their money on anime. But you don't see many of those.
Previous cosplays:
Anna Kyoyama (Shaman King) - Wizard World Chicago 2006
Ayumu "Osaka" Kasuga (Azumanga Daioh) - Anime Central 2007
Edward Elric (Fullmetal Alchemist) - Anime Central 2008

#15 User is offline   Imaurel 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 16336

Posted 06 February 2008 - 07:01 PM

Looking at those I'm a librarian/book otaku. XD; I adore anime trivia, even if I stay in the background for everything else.
Of course I know I'm incredibly stereotypical on many levels. I'm ok with this eeing as I was long before I knew I was. Why change? It's worked for me so far. Who doesn't adore free hugs?
Ok from head to toe the typical fangurl I see...
She's wearing an anime hat, and it has ears. In my case I have Yuki Shoma. A lot of other people will range from Kyo to Kuroneko to Menchi to that little pig guy and so on.
Nacklaces, and lots of them. Attached to those necklaces may be anime keychains.
A key accessory, anime keychains. Attached to necklaces, belt loops, bags, etc.
Jeans. Aren't we creative?
Probably those FMA shoes from Hot topic if they could afford them. God knows all of us fangurls wanted them.
Will give away hugs. Especially if they see their kin at a Borders flipping through manga.
And hyperactive. I mean bouncing up and down when they find out that the new D.Gray Man is out despite having already read it over the internet.
And if you're wondering, I did just completely describe myself and a best friend. Life is good in our little world.
:~~~~~Galleries~~~~~:
www.damiset.deviantart.com
www.mangabullet.com/imaurel/profile
imaurel.webs.com
:~~~~~Joined~~~~~:
Pocky Brigade - Pocky Sabotuer
Spam Squad Member!
:~~~~~ACEN Exhibit Hall Staffer - Year 1~~~~~:

#16 User is offline   sentinel28a 

• Mad Irishman
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 08 February 2008 - 02:42 AM

View PostAonele, on Feb 6 2008, 06:49 PM, said:

Well, as long as you fit in the definition, whether or not you make money you're still a booky otaku :P

And yes, you are a sad man XD

Feh. Who else can say that their anime habit pays for their anime habit?

Ben Da Mad Irishman
"Time for a booky call"

BEAR CAV!

#17 User is offline   Imaurel 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 08 February 2008 - 03:42 PM

I need an anime job that will pay for my anime xD
imaurel.webs.com
Spam Squad Member!

#18 User is offline   sentinel28a 

• Mad Irishman
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 February 2008 - 09:04 AM

View PostImaurel, on Feb 8 2008, 09:42 PM, said:

I need an anime job that will pay for my anime xD

Well, it's easy. Go to a college, spend $40,000 on a master's degree, become good drinking buddies with your professors, then convince them that college students will flock to a course that gives them three credits for watching Snorlax refuse to wake up, Sailor Moon get electrocuted by aliens, Shinji scream in terror, and the chick in Ninja Scroll get raped. Twice.

See? Nothing to it. Bonus is getting to laugh at professors who don't like you when your course on anime gets twice as many students as their course on the Eisenhower Administration.

Ben Da Mad Irishman
"This could be why I'm still an adjunct"

BEAR CAV!

#19 User is offline   TekoMuto 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 February 2008 - 09:13 AM

View Postsentinel28a, on Feb 6 2008, 04:35 AM, said:

Ben Da Mad Irishman
"I am a sad man"

care to meet me in the back of a library? it's one of my natural habitats ;3 <3
i've stopped posting links in my siggy due to degradation of the internet 5/23/12

#20 User is offline   this_chick25 

• Registration Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderator
  • Member No.: 7489

Posted 09 February 2008 - 09:38 AM

Library? I used to work in my school's libraries in lieu of gym credits (I never had to take gym classes after elementary school).

I try not to go to the library now except for on Friday or the weekends, because I can literally spend the whole day from open to closing time just reading and looking at books (I'd probably starve to death if I ever found a 24-hour library). I'll read pretty much anything!

(and um... senta-kun, I know the answers to the first two as well...)
Acen Attendee since 2001
Wondering how much to save for ACen? Click here!
FREE! Cosplay construction and materials advice--get yours now!
Never cause more mischief than that which is necessary for success.
Sig invade'd'd'd'd'd'd'd'd'd by Alk <3

#21 User is offline   ryozu_011 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 16745

Posted 09 February 2008 - 11:05 AM

View Postsentinel28a, on Feb 5 2008, 10:35 PM, said:

Ben Da Mad Irishman
"I am a sad man"

Lol, I know the anwers to those two questions too. XD I think both of them, lol. I don;t know what kind of person I am. :mellow: I know that I read manga and watch anime and stuff like that and buy merchandise, wear it to school, talk about anime since my friends are all into it and stuff(most of them know what I'm talking about anyway), and I got me posters, unecessary cosplay items(Zangetsu) that I can't show off unless I'm in that cosplay lol. I think I mixed with all of things you said. O.O
Cosplay Ideas for ACen 2015:

Yu Yu Hakusho: Yusuke Urameshi (episode 5)
Legend of Korra: Korra (Book 4)

#22 User is offline   sentinel28a 

• Mad Irishman
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 February 2008 - 07:07 PM

View PostTekoMuto, on Feb 9 2008, 03:13 PM, said:

care to meet me in the back of a library? it's one of my natural habitats ;3 <3

No. Bad enough I'm going to have to bring a taser with me to ACen and avoid dark corners.

Ben Da Mad Irishman
"Sometimes you scare me...well, alla time, actually"

BEAR CAV!

#23 User is offline   qwak 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 16488

Posted 09 February 2008 - 07:19 PM

View Postthis_chick25, on Feb 10 2008, 12:38 AM, said:

Library? I used to work in my school's libraries in lieu of gym credits (I never had to take gym classes after elementary school).

I try not to go to the library now except for on Friday or the weekends, because I can literally spend the whole day from open to closing time just reading and looking at books (I'd probably starve to death if I ever found a 24-hour library). I'll read pretty much anything!

(and um... senta-kun, I know the answers to the first two as well...)

If you haven't been to the NYC public library, I suggest taking a trip. It's not 24 hours, but it's freakin awesome.

MYself and a friend of mine went to NYC, wandered around a bit, got a few beers in us at this awesome bar (100 different kinds of beers, and no budweiser or miller in sight), then walked over to the library, checked out their display room which had some autographed dickens 1st editions, an original descartes, pictures from the naval acadamy in the 1800's, among other things. Then we picked a random room and I ended up reading a book about the architecture at disneyland and how absolutely awful it was. Then we went to see psychic tv at a club where they had a giant saltwater tank in the back with girls snorkleing in it. and te next day we went back to the library, and then to the same bar for beer, and then over to another club to see firewater. it was a good weekend.
no more signatures!

#24 User is offline   TekoMuto 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 February 2008 - 11:40 PM

View Postsentinel28a, on Feb 10 2008, 01:07 AM, said:

No. Bad enough I'm going to have to bring a taser with me to ACen and avoid dark corners.

Ben Da Mad Irishman
"Sometimes you scare me...well, alla time, actually"

the dark corners anren't where i get you ;)
i like to be more creative <3

#25 User is offline   Imaurel 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 10 February 2008 - 04:48 PM

View Postsentinel28a, on Feb 9 2008, 10:04 AM, said:

Well, it's easy. Go to a college, spend $40,000 on a master's degree, become good drinking buddies with your professors, then convince them that college students will flock to a course that gives them three credits for watching Snorlax refuse to wake up, Sailor Moon get electrocuted by aliens, Shinji scream in terror, and the chick in Ninja Scroll get raped. Twice.

See? Nothing to it. Bonus is getting to laugh at professors who don't like you when your course on anime gets twice as many students as their course on the Eisenhower Administration.

Ben Da Mad Irishman
"This could be why I'm still an adjunct"

XD; I'm too lazy for a Masters....
imaurel.webs.com
Spam Squad Member!

#26 User is offline   sentinel28a 

• Mad Irishman
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 February 2008 - 12:51 AM

View PostTekoMuto, on Feb 10 2008, 05:40 AM, said:

the dark corners anren't where i get you ;)
i like to be more creative <3

Uh oh.

Ben Da Mad Irishman
"Maybe I should cosplay as a Gundam this year"

BEAR CAV!

#27 User is offline   Rena-Chan 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 4823

Posted 01 March 2008 - 09:18 PM

View PostFairy Godmoose, on Feb 7 2008, 12:02 AM, said:

The ones who have been reduced to living in their parents' basement 'cause they spent all their money on anime. But you don't see many of those.

Of course you don't--they don't leave the basement.
Once the first blood is shed, there's no turning back. Loved ones can't be returned, actions can't be taken back, and no words can ever truly say 'sorry' enough. With a past drenched in blood and tomorrow obscured in a dark mist of uncertainty, I find it hard to set goals or make plans for my future--a future I'm not even sure I want to come. " - Weslyn Truce

Thanks for always making ACen so much fun, everyone!!! GOD BLESS!!!

#28 User is offline   TekoMuto 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 03 March 2008 - 11:27 AM

View Postsentinel28a, on Feb 11 2008, 06:51 AM, said:

Uh oh.

Ben Da Mad Irishman
"Maybe I should cosplay as a Gundam this year"

mmm i liek mes a challenge <3
oh the thingsyou'll do for me, i wuvs you ;3

Oh! theres also the Hentai. Otaku who live for Ju hachi kin Anime (Anime for 18+)

mix the bookies and the Hentai and you've got me ;3

#29 User is offline   Imaurel 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 03 March 2008 - 03:12 PM

Ah, they shouldn't have been forgotten so easily xD
imaurel.webs.com
Spam Squad Member!

#30 User is offline   Rini 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 17020

Posted 03 March 2008 - 03:44 PM

View PostImaurel, on Feb 6 2008, 08:01 PM, said:

Looking at those I'm a librarian/book otaku. XD; I adore anime trivia, even if I stay in the background for everything else.
Of course I know I'm incredibly stereotypical on many levels. I'm ok with this eeing as I was long before I knew I was. Why change? It's worked for me so far. Who doesn't adore free hugs?
Ok from head to toe the typical fangurl I see...
She's wearing an anime hat, and it has ears. In my case I have Yuki Shoma. A lot of other people will range from Kyo to Kuroneko to Menchi to that little pig guy and so on.
Nacklaces, and lots of them. Attached to those necklaces may be anime keychains.
A key accessory, anime keychains. Attached to necklaces, belt loops, bags, etc.
Jeans. Aren't we creative?
Probably those FMA shoes from Hot topic if they could afford them. God knows all of us fangurls wanted them.
Will give away hugs. Especially if they see their kin at a Borders flipping through manga.
And hyperactive. I mean bouncing up and down when they find out that the new D.Gray Man is out despite having already read it over the internet.
And if you're wondering, I did just completely describe myself and a best friend. Life is good in our little world.

I used to be like that, but I mellowed out a bit.
<(^_^)> Rewr :3

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users