• You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Hyatt Entirely Booked confirmation? + we need overflow hotels ASAP

#1 User is offline   Yahriel 

• Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 7084

Post icon  Posted 04 February 2008 - 02:53 PM

I just got off the phone with the Hyatt. I was told EVERY room in the hotel is booked for the weekend of the 15, 16, 17th. =/ She mentioned having 1 day available, but that didn't fit my group's needs...
Can anyone else confirm this?
If they ARE sold out (which looks very likely.... *cough*no thanks to everyone who booked before the block was open =/*cough*), we need info on overflow hotels.

Also, does anyone know the Hyatt's policy on cancelling. We managed to grab a single-bed room (for 4 people ack) a few days ago, but we didn't get con rate for any of the days. If overflow is cheaper, nearby, and the cancellation fee isn't too big (or is non-existant), we're going for that.
Con Photos:
Youmacon 2010
Ohayocon 2011 - up soon!
ACen 2011 - I can't time-travel! D=

Cosplays:
ACen 2011 - Sebastian, Claude, maybe Bard

#2 User is offline   werewlf22 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 10120

Posted 04 February 2008 - 04:04 PM

just checked the website there all full

wat where the overflow hotels last year?

#3 User is offline   Yahriel 

• Pip

Posted 04 February 2008 - 04:32 PM

This is my first year, so I have no idea what the overflows were.

But people, please DO NOT BOOK until Acen opens the block! Thanks to 300 of you jumping the gun, those of us who waited patiently are stuck with small rooms, or worse, out a room.
Con Photos:
Youmacon 2010
Ohayocon 2011 - up soon!

Cosplays:

#4 User is offline   Isamu 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 8918

Posted 04 February 2008 - 06:19 PM

You know you can complain all you want about the people who jumped the gun but most of those people don't check the website for info like us. Instead of blaming those fellow congoers why not put the blame where it needs to be and that is the Hyatt. Most of the early reservations made the people relied on the Hyatt for info.
"Frank and explicit"-that is the right line to take when you wish to conceal your own mind and to confuse the minds of others.
Bachelors know more about women than married men; if they didn't, they'd be married too.
Santa on the crapper is officially dead.
Acens attended. 2001,2002,2007-2011.
STVO the 2013 Hellfire champ.

#5 User is offline   ostencrone 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 10183

Posted 04 February 2008 - 07:04 PM

The Embassy Sweets is right across the street from the con and I know for sure that it's been an overflow hotel for the past 2 years. It's really nice. Get a room there if you can. I've heard that the doubletree is nice as well.
www.myspace.com\austincrane121
ADD ME!

-----Cosplay for '07-----
Kakashi! (Naruto)

~~~In the Works~~~
Wii Remote + Nunchuck
Naruto in Genjutsu (Ep. 15 Shippuuden)
Maito Gai
Neji

#6 User is offline   Tiresias79 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 663

Posted 04 February 2008 - 07:57 PM

Cancellation fee is 1 nights stay + tax if you cancel after 4/27, at least that's the date I was told. As for overflow, expect info to be coming soon. Contracts are being negotiated and an announcement will be placed on the website and forums when they are announced.
Cosplay for 2008:

Aburai Renji from Bleach 15% done, really only have the shoes made right now (let's hear it for hand-woven Zori)

#7 User is offline   Yahriel 

• Pip

Posted 04 February 2008 - 08:30 PM

Anyone know what the rate at Embassy was last year? I just want to get some ideas.
Tiresias - I really hope you're right about the cancellation fee (I thought that was when the deposit was charged?). I'd suck to have to pay for a night +tax when we're not even going to be there.
Con Photos:
Youmacon 2010
Ohayocon 2011 - up soon!

Cosplays:

#8 User is offline   Lisa J 

• Pip
  • Group: Purge for Inactivity
  • Member No.: 16076

Posted 04 February 2008 - 09:12 PM

View PostIsamu, on Feb 4 2008, 07:19 PM, said:

You know you can complain all you want about the people who jumped the gun but most of those people don't check the website for info like us. Instead of blaming those fellow congoers why not put the blame where it needs to be and that is the Hyatt. Most of the early reservations made the people relied on the Hyatt for info.

Both arguments are fair. Many folks here deliberately booked rooms knowing the staff said to wait. And the Hyatt should have responsibility in this as well.

#9 User is offline   PepeluTivursky 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 8314

Posted 04 February 2008 - 09:44 PM

View PostYahriel, on Feb 4 2008, 10:32 PM, said:

This is my first year, so I have no idea what the overflows were.

But people, please DO NOT BOOK until Acen opens the block! Thanks to 300 of you jumping the gun, those of us who waited patiently are stuck with small rooms, or worse, out a room.

How's that our fault? As I see it, you ought to have registered when you could, you know?
"It could be worse. There could be zombies."
My Cosplay.com Profile | Kentucky Geeky LJ Community

Cosplay for '09
Katsura Kotonoha - School Days | Fumika - Shigofumi | Maya Fey - Phoenix Wright | Enma Ai - Jigoku Shoujo | Yako Katsuragi - Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro

#10 User is offline   Alura Embrey 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 16908

Posted 04 February 2008 - 09:55 PM

Don't argue over it guys. What happened, happened. Just move on cause nothing is gonna change the past.
Cosplay '09
?Tousen?

My Home and Life
Alura on Myspace
(Make sure to say you're from ACen)

#11 User is offline   Cuddles116 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 7378

Posted 04 February 2008 - 10:07 PM

View PostPepeluTivursky, on Feb 5 2008, 03:44 AM, said:

How's that our fault? As I see it, you ought to have registered when you could, you know?

<_< Hmm how is your fault if you read to wait and then decided that staff wasn't talking to you but everyone else and did what you felt like? Yeah that couldn't possibly be your fault, nope.

If there's any justice in the world all those who were only thinking about number 1 and have a who cares I got mine mentality will get royally screwed on their bill. Maybe it won't happen this year, ah but next year :)
JenFur
Toxic Kiwi Wig/Prop Commissions
Anime Central 2011
. . Fri - Scanty (w/ Brief)- Panty & Stocking
. . Sat - Panty (w/ Brief)- Panty & StockingHalloween 2011 - Alice - Resident Evil Afterlife
Pictures - ACEN Aftershock, ACEN 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, Reactor 2009, 2007, [size=2]2006

#12 User is offline   Lisa J 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 16076

Posted 04 February 2008 - 10:53 PM

The only way that it won't happen next year is if the Hyatt doesn't open the block until a planned time that both they and the ACEN staff agree upon.

If not, folks are going to do whatever they want to get what they want, no matter whom they may inconvenience (Hyatt staff, Acen staff, etc. etc.). Some folks just don't know what goes on behind the scenes and don't take into consideration the people that are trying their best to run a smooth ship.

#13 User is offline   Moogle_21 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 2191

Posted 04 February 2008 - 11:02 PM

The overflows will be posted after the hyatt COMPLETELY sells out. So until those rooms available are taken, ACEN can't negotiate with the other hotels. It's in their contract with they Hyatt. Don't fight over people screwing people out of rooms, what's done is done, and there are plenty of room available in the over flows. I've never seen the overflows sell out the years I've gone to ACEN and most the hotels are connected to the walkway that connects to the convention center and the Hyatt and are in walking distance (like across the street walking distance).
Senior Manager of Sales
Anime Central 2011 - 2012

#14 User is offline   werewlf22 

• Pip

Posted 04 February 2008 - 11:13 PM

View Postostencrone, on Feb 4 2008, 07:04 PM, said:

The Embassy Sweets is right across the street from the con and I know for sure that it's been an overflow hotel for the past 2 years. It's really nice. Get a room there if you can. I've heard that the doubletree is nice as well.

embassy says that they are full to anyone else get this as well

View PostMoogle_21, on Feb 4 2008, 11:02 PM, said:

The overflows will be posted after the hyatt COMPLETELY sells out. So until those rooms available are taken, ACEN can't negotiate with the other hotels. It's in their contract with they Hyatt. Don't fight over people screwing people out of rooms, what's done is done, and there are plenty of room available in the over flows. I've never seen the overflows sell out the years I've gone to ACEN and most the hotels are connected to the walkway that connects to the convention center and the Hyatt and are in walking distance (like across the street walking distance).

the hyatt is TOTALLY booked no reservations at all

#15 User is offline   Yahriel 

• Pip

Posted 04 February 2008 - 11:21 PM

-_-; let's not fight over the rooming situation, k?

Yes, Hyatt is COMPLETELY, TOTALLY booked. EVERY room for that weekend, meaning EVERY SINGLE ROOM in the hotel is booked, not just the con block. Overflow is now necessary.

Embassy booked already? I just tried online and they had a ton of rooms available.
-_- sucks the person who's actually booking this is in a massively different timezone than my own... otherwise I'd do it. x_X
Con Photos:
Youmacon 2010
Ohayocon 2011 - up soon!

Cosplays:

#16 User is offline   werewlf22 

• Pip

Posted 04 February 2008 - 11:29 PM

View PostYahriel, on Feb 4 2008, 11:21 PM, said:

Embassy booked already? I just tried online and they had a ton of rooms available.
-_- sucks the person who's actually booking this is in a massively different timezone than my own... otherwise I'd do it. x_X

it might be the double tree when i went to go reserve through embassy it redirected be to the double tree

#17 User is offline   Moogle_21 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 2191

Posted 04 February 2008 - 11:30 PM

View Postwerewlf22, on Feb 4 2008, 11:13 PM, said:

embassy says that they are full to anyone else get this as well

the hyatt is TOTALLY booked no reservations at all

Because the rooms are on hold for ACEN, they can't negotiate a rate and release the rooms till they're finished at the Hyatt. Someone on staff has to confirm the Hyatt is completely booked. That means every room on every possible convention day. That doesn't mean a Friday to Sunday reservation, even if it's just for a single day, all the rooms have to be booked otherwise ACEN has to wait until someone books the open rooms.
Senior Manager of Sales
Anime Central 2011 - 2012

#18 User is offline   Yahriel 

• Pip

Posted 04 February 2008 - 11:59 PM

When I said all the rooms were booked, I meant it. I asked. there is NOTHING available for ANY day, ANYWHERE in the hotel, unless they let you sleep in the hallways. x_X
Con Photos:
Youmacon 2010
Ohayocon 2011 - up soon!

Cosplays:

#19 User is offline   SpicyNinjaCat 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 10841

Posted 05 February 2008 - 08:46 AM

View PostYahriel, on Feb 4 2008, 11:59 PM, said:

When I said all the rooms were booked, I meant it. I asked. there is NOTHING available for ANY day, ANYWHERE in the hotel, unless they let you sleep in the hallways. x_X

I called. Even the hallways are booked X_x
I was in the parking lot from the false fire alarm in '12.
I overcame the ACen rapture in '11.
I survived the ACen fire in '10.
I dodged the H1N1 outbreak in '09.
I was denied ice cream at the ACen 10th Anniversary ice cream social in '07.

#20 User is offline   PepeluTivursky 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 8314

Posted 05 February 2008 - 04:13 PM

View PostCuddles116, on Feb 5 2008, 04:07 AM, said:

<_< Hmm how is your fault if you read to wait and then decided that staff wasn't talking to you but everyone else and did what you felt like? Yeah that couldn't possibly be your fault, nope.

If there's any justice in the world all those who were only thinking about number 1 and have a who cares I got mine mentality will get royally screwed on their bill. Maybe it won't happen this year, ah but next year :)

I'm not arguing here, honest. I can understand being annoyed about not getting into the hotel you want and all.
Did I said I was wandering with that "I'm number one!" idea? No, I was just wondering how you placed the blame of you not being able to get a room on us who called early on? Isn't the blame better laid on the hotel that allowed us to book con rooms early? Or on the miscommunication that allowed this error to happen?
I merely called and booked because people in the forums were talking about the con block being open already and I wanted to be sure my room was reserved. Simple as that.
I didn't call cackling under my breath and wringing my hands together thinking of folks I would gyp out of a room, y'know? I did what I would do for ANY trip no matter where I would go. I'm anal about having things planned out way, way ahead in advance because I also plan this out for my friends too. So really, I was considering them more than myself when I made sure our room was lined up early.
It's rather childishly petty of you to wish such on folks who merely wanted to be sure they had all their ducks in a row when it came to planning.
"It could be worse. There could be zombies."
My Cosplay.com Profile | Kentucky Geeky LJ Community

Cosplay for '09
Katsura Kotonoha - School Days | Fumika - Shigofumi | Maya Fey - Phoenix Wright | Enma Ai - Jigoku Shoujo | Yako Katsuragi - Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro

#21 User is offline   Yahriel 

• Pip

Posted 05 February 2008 - 08:10 PM

Don't shift all the responsibility off your shoulders. It's at least PARTLY up to the individual to be informed. I was following the same hotel threads, and the impression I got was that the con block wasn't open, and people were delibertly calling and reserving, knowing that (against staff wishes and common courtesy). I never said it was to stop others from getting a room. I'm only saying that the majority of people who called knew the con block wasn't officially open.
I like to plan ahead to - I've got someone coming in from ANOTHER COUNTRY who *needs* to have this planned ahead - but I'd rather be polite and not call until I've gotten an official go-ahead from staff. That way it's fair to *everyone*, even those who waited patiently until they were told.
Con Photos:
Youmacon 2010
Ohayocon 2011 - up soon!

Cosplays:

#22 User is offline   Isamu 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 8918

Posted 05 February 2008 - 09:22 PM

Ok but think about this. About 300 called and set reservations before the block was opened. Now the block was between 700 and 800 rooms so how is it that when the block was opened you were not one of the 400 to get a room? How long did you wait to make your reservation after the block was opened? Even if no one reserved early it is not likely you would have gotten your room if you waited a week after the block was opened to set your reservation. Due to the block opening so late people were staying up 24hrs just so they could get a room when it opened. Blame who you want but if you would have called the day the block opened you would have a room.
"Frank and explicit"-that is the right line to take when you wish to conceal your own mind and to confuse the minds of others.
Bachelors know more about women than married men; if they didn't, they'd be married too.
Santa on the crapper is officially dead.
Acens attended. 2001,2002,2007-2011.
STVO the 2013 Hellfire champ.

#23 User is offline   Aonele 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 11231

Posted 05 February 2008 - 09:56 PM

Guys, keep in mind that Hyatt's policy (so I've heard, this is my first year staying with ACen overnight as well) is that "first come first served". This applies to both those who registered early and those who arrive at Hyatt first at the Con and grab their rooms. A lot of people (as I've read on this forum) were screwed, in fact, out of their rightful rooms because someone else who booked got there earlier and took it.

So hey, no hard feelings, but it's sort of a "natural selection" thing, you know? :\ I felt kinda bad when my friend told me she booked before the rates were official too, but seeing how fast the rooms went, I'm rather glad. Either way it's horrible, so let's just live and let live now, yea? There are more unfair things in this world, so don't get so upset over hotel rooms.
---Cosplay List 2012---
Will not be attending ;-;

#24 User is offline   HeladoFrito 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 17100

Posted 05 February 2008 - 11:50 PM

I'm a new con-goer and I wish I would have known about this "Block" thing when I registered for the con. I tried getting a room early at the Hyatt but then decided against it because they were too expensive. I should have known they would have con rates.

I have to admit that if I had known about it I would have reserved a room early. I'm the type of person who likes to plan way ahead.

Luckily I did get a room at a different hotel. But next time I'll have to remember this ACen Block.

#25 User is offline   Pirokobo 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 16930

Posted 06 February 2008 - 09:37 AM

Just an observation here...

It seems to me that this entire scenario with reservation indicates that demand for a room in the ACen hotel is so high that a great many of the attendees are willing to pay any price to get a room; enough that you aren't likely to get a Hyatt room if you aren't willing to risk paying full price.

Far from being a bad arrangement I think this is a very good scenario because it gives Hyatt more reason to continue hosting ACen. Obviously Hyatt isn't going to turn people away who are willing to pay more for the same room.

It may be a bad arrangement for the low income con attendee, but let's put it in perspective here: ACen is an 11,000 attendee con. A gathering of people that large is going to have multiple stratas of income, and you will find people who can afford to reserve early AND fly in at O'Hare, and people who need to wait for the con rate and will bum a ride with a friend.

#26 User is offline   Kasemei 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 5705

Posted 06 February 2008 - 12:25 PM

I've been going to this con for two years now. This will be my third. I might be staffing, potentially, so I'm not sure if this pertains to me. However, two years ago, I stayed at the Sofitel for one night, being at the con for two days. Last year, I stayed one night at the Holiday Inn that's about two blocks away (or a little bit more), and then the next day was at the Sofitel. I can honestly say I prefer staying at the Sofitel. The rooms are cheaper, and you only have to cross the street twice to get to the Hyatt. I only paid 70 for my room last year, but that was because my dad booked through some agency.

If money's an issue, I'd say go for the overflow hotels. The closest are the Sofitel, Doubletree, and the Embassy. All are connected to the convention center via skywalk, and it's not hard to walk to the con site from outside either. They're all cheaper, depending on when and how you book the room. It's only a mild inconvenience to walk an extra five minutes to get to the con center.

Honestly, in my opinion, it's not worth paying over 100 dollars just to book a room in the same hotel the con is at, especially when there's three cheaper hotels less then 300 feet away. The only reason I would stay at the Hyatt during ACen is if I staff, because I'll be getting a free room and rooming with other people.
Floating around the forums every so often.

Cosplays for 2011: Ciel Phantomhive Ballgown from Kuroshitsuji, Toph Bei Fong Fire Nation Disguise from Avatar: The Last Airbender, Revolutionary Girl Utena Schoolgirl outfit, and Meiling Hong from the Touhou Project.

#27 User is offline   Sillybean 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 10638

Posted 06 February 2008 - 04:19 PM

View PostAonele, on Feb 5 2008, 09:56 PM, said:

Guys, keep in mind that Hyatt's policy (so I've heard, this is my first year staying with ACen overnight as well) is that "first come first served". This applies to both those who registered early and those who arrive at Hyatt first at the Con and grab their rooms. A lot of people (as I've read on this forum) were screwed, in fact, out of their rightful rooms because someone else who booked got there earlier and took it.

So hey, no hard feelings, but it's sort of a "natural selection" thing, you know? :\ I felt kinda bad when my friend told me she booked before the rates were official too, but seeing how fast the rooms went, I'm rather glad. Either way it's horrible, so let's just live and let live now, yea? There are more unfair things in this world, so don't get so upset over hotel rooms.

Basically the only thing you have at the hyatt when you reserve a room is a spot (regardless of what your specified preferences were), correct? I mean they can't put you out on the street if you booked and waited until the con block was officially opened right?

And I feel so bad for those of you who waited and didn't get a room. Tis injustice I say! I was freaking out too and had the rss feed sent to my cell. So as soon as the con block was open, I made that ever crucial call to the hotel. I know nothing can be done about it right now, but maybe next year you guys can be super ultra paranoid and do the same. I still feel that you guys were screwed over however because people on the forums never projected that the hyatt would be sold out in a week or so.
Acen 2011 Cosplays: Itoh (Bible black), Akiha Shishido (Sora Kake Girl), Anbu (Original Punk ver.), Hatsune Miku (World is Mine PV)

#28 User is offline   pamelaNeko* 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 9987

Posted 06 February 2008 - 04:26 PM

I reserved my hotel room at the Hyatt in October 2007. I was booked in the MAPS block, so the block has been open for at least that long. The Hyatt has been consistent since then in accepting any and all reservations, and has honored the new con rate. This has been my experience with the Hyatt, consistently positive, for the last 4 years. The only thing that has changed this year is the ACen staff asking people in the forums to wait. I think the majority of people who booked early are experienced con-goers who don't make a habit of checking the forums ...especially not for permission to book travel when the hotel seems more than willing to accept and honor their reservation.
check out my new website!

http://pamelaneko.com

#29 User is offline   akaikurama 

• Panel Programming Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 10043

Posted 06 February 2008 - 06:26 PM

I've been going for years now and people have been booking rooms before the "official" word has been given for all that time. I have even heard that people book their room right after the dates for the next years con has been announced.
I have seen the con grow over the 10 years and it keeps getting bigger.
Remember...
Pics
Short but sweet!!

#30 User is offline   stomptoMYbeat 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 2256

Posted 06 February 2008 - 07:43 PM

View PostpamelaNeko*, on Feb 6 2008, 10:26 PM, said:

think the majority of people who booked early are experienced con-goers who don't make a habit of checking the forums ...especially not for permission to book travel when the hotel seems more than willing to accept and honor their reservation.

Are you kidding me? No comment. That's all I'll say.

I know I'm not staff or anything, but I think people in this thread need to step back and take a breather. Everyone needs to stop taking jabs at others about whatever the issue they may have, and handle this maturely. People that didn't get a room at the Hyatt: It's not the end of the world. Yes, I know the feeling of having to stay at a different hotel than the convention is being held at. There's a handful of overflow hotels, and despite the fact that you'll have to do a little bit more walking, I think everyone should just be glad that they're going to the convention and got a room in general - wherever it may be located.

I got screwed out of a double bed room because of this whole fiasco, but you know what? I'm not letting that bother me. Sure, I have three other people in my room, and it's probably going to be uncomfortable trying to fit us all in that one bed, but I'm happy I'm at least going to the convention. Things could be worse, guys.

Keep your heads up.
FIND ME AT ACEN: WEARING MY DEADMAU5 HEAD AGAIN!

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users