Anime Central Forums: Average Age? - Anime Central Forums

• 11 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Average Age?

Poll: How old are you? (733 member(s) have cast votes)

How old are you?

1. 16 or under (114 votes [15.43%])

Percentage of vote: 15.43%

2. 17 to 22 (380 votes [51.42%])

Percentage of vote: 51.42%

3. 23 and up (245 votes [33.15%])

Percentage of vote: 33.15%

Vote

#1 User is offline   fufuberry 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 16806

Posted 16 January 2008 - 04:41 PM

hi! i'm new, so i hope nobody asked this already......
how old are most of the people who go to this con? I'm sixteen, and i've been to a college level con before. It was alright, but my mom freaked out about it. I'm not used to big cons, and i'm also bringing my younger brother, he's fourteen, and my friend who's my age. Looking at the forums, i've seen a lot of people who are way older than me. If that's the case, then my mom won't let me go, even though she'd be coming along. do you think this con's to old for me? :blink:
CoSpLaYs FoR 2o11:
Chie (Persona 4) ~ 100%
The Witch (Left 4 Dead) ~ 100%
Kyoko Sakura (Maho Shojo Madoka Magica) ~ 30%

#2 User is offline   akaikurama 

• Panel Programming Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 10043

Posted 16 January 2008 - 04:51 PM

Acen is a FAMILY con. ALL ages are welcome. I've been going for of about 10 to 11 years (yes since it started) There are people of all ages, and I mean all ages--from infants to seniors. So you can't say it's a con for older people. It's a con for anyone who likes Anime, plan and simple.
Yes they do have some over 18 stuff at the con but they are very good about checking IDs. They also have a childrens programs for the younger ones like video showing of shows just for their age (I would guess 10 and under but I attendend one of the panels on origami(sorry about spelling) and Kanji.
Remember...
Pics
Short but sweet!!

#3 User is offline   NecroSeraphim 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 14838

Posted 16 January 2008 - 04:52 PM

i did have a comment here but after i read it i decided it made me sound ignorant. so here's this instead.
Noob Extraordinaire

#4 User is offline   XenoBlade 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 9384

Posted 16 January 2008 - 05:04 PM

Lots of various ages. Can't really put a thumb on it.
ACen 2013 Cosplays
Dragon Ball Z-Piccolo
Zero Escape 2: Virtue's Last Reward-Sigma
3rd cosplay:Either Zoro(One Piece),Sazh(Final Fantasy XIII), or Gintoki(Gintama).
"Sometimes I do suspect, I'm an actor in a well scripted live divine comedy..."-Shing02

#5 User is offline   sammy-45 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 42

Posted 16 January 2008 - 05:45 PM

the average age of our con goers are about 17-25 both male and female. Mostly it hits the college age group really big.

But we do have people of all ages at the con. I remember a stories from last year about a grandma who takes her 14 year old grand kid to the convention. She's said she had lots of fun!!!

We also have a children's programing area, with activiteies and shows, just for kids. But it's not babysitting so parents have to go with their kids!!!!!
Staff from 2003 to 2010. Currently Retired.

Blessed are the cracked:
for it is they who let in the light!

Go Cubs!!!!GO BEARS!!!!

#6 User is offline   Aonele 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 11231

Posted 16 January 2008 - 05:51 PM

It's a good ratio of who goes, I believe. You get a wide spectrum of people of different ages. And I don't quite understand the age restriction your mom has O_o Obviously there are going to be "bad apples" at cons, but why does age even matter? o_o It's not like people of a particular age group is more likely to be bad than other age groups.

I understand that here concern is you and your party's safety, but it's not like you're going to go and join parties with booze and other bad influences, right? Especially with her there. Not even my mom nor my friend's mom (who supervised us once) was ever that worried about going to a con.
---Cosplay List 2012---
Will not be attending ;-;

#7 User is offline   Birdzz 

• Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 15172

Posted 16 January 2008 - 10:44 PM

Theres alot of colleges in the area, but also it's easily accessible to the suburbs lot's of people of other ages can get there without concern for stuff like safety or money.

#8 User is offline   `Aygen` 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 4646

Posted 17 January 2008 - 10:32 AM

19kk? Silly august birthday makes me younger than all of my friends.

日の出では、大麻が舞う そこでラム酒を1パイントを上げると別のガブ飲みする モルガン船長の呪いこの運命に導いている
ない恐れがあるので、ドントルックバック 来世を待って!

_,.=+-~'"`^*^`"'~-+=.,_,.=+-~'"`^*^`"'~-+=.,_
Wii Code - 3597 5584 7250 3042
Xbox Live Tag - Kohato

_,.=+-~'"`^*^`"'~-+=.,_,.=+-~'"`^*^`"'~-+=.,_

#9 User is offline   bunnybeth 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 15

Posted 17 January 2008 - 10:41 AM

I'm certainly in your 23+ category, but I'll also be bringing along my son who will be 1 1/2 years by ACen. (Con babies!) It's one of the more family-friendly cons we attend. My husband is a high school teacher and the anime club adviser at his school and a number of his students (14-18 years old) attend the con as well. Yes, it's large, but with your mom along I don't see there being any problems.
CONversations A webcomic about the CON experience
Anime Eats! A cookbook inspired by food in anime and manga.

"Words can only hurt if you try to read them. Don't play their game." -Derek Zoolander
[BadCat Studios] [CONversations] [Bunnybeth.net]

#10 User is offline   sailorgaia 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 3856

Posted 17 January 2008 - 11:13 AM

View Postbunnybeth, on Jan 17 2008, 10:41 AM, said:

I'm certainly in your 23+ category, but I'll also be bringing along my son who will be 1 1/2 years by ACen. (Con babies!) It's one of the more family-friendly cons we attend. My husband is a high school teacher and the anime club adviser at his school and a number of his students (14-18 years old) attend the con as well. Yes, it's large, but with your mom along I don't see there being any problems.

May I just say that I've always considered your family to be one of the happiest/coolest"otaku" families I've ever heard of. You cosplay, your husband is cool with it & runs an anime club for his students, and you bring your son to cons?!!? Adorable! :heart:
"I like it when you clap for me, Ultros. I can just close my eyes and imagine that four people are clapping for me at once!"
Locke, the Hand of God

#11 User is offline   fufuberry 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 17 January 2008 - 01:49 PM

View Postakaikurama, on Jan 16 2008, 05:51 PM, said:

Acen is a FAMILY con. ALL ages are welcome. I've been going for of about 10 to 11 years (yes since it started) There are people of all ages, and I mean all ages--from infants to seniors. So you can't say it's a con for older people. It's a con for anyone who likes Anime, plan and simple.
Yes they do have some over 18 stuff at the con but they are very good about checking IDs. They also have a childrens programs for the younger ones like video showing of shows just for their age (I would guess 10 and under but I attendend one of the panels on origami(sorry about spelling) and Kanji.

I know it's a family con, and it wouldn't really matter to me if it was a college level one, but big cons seem to attract more weird people.....i'm talking about the bad weird, not the otaku weird. My mom's a little over protective, she got really mad at my friend when we were at Youmacon because she was hanging out with a a guy way older than her. She's convinced i'm gonna get kidnaped at one of these things, even though most people are really nice. also, i'm worried about my friend, cuz she's never been to a con before!:lol: thanks!
CoSpLaYs FoR 2o11:
Chie (Persona 4) ~ 100%

#12 User is offline   Lenne 

• ACen Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 425

Posted 17 January 2008 - 02:08 PM

My mom used to be really overprotective about stuff like that, also, but she's loosened up a lot.

As for ages...it really is all ages. I'm about to turn 22, my sister will turn 16 the week after ACen. First year we went, I was 17 and she was 11. There is stuff that's only for adults, but that's generally late at night and is very strictly IDed.

Also, yay for con newbies! I personally find it a lot of fun when I have a friend with me who's never been to one before - everything seems like old hat to me, but to them it's all new and fresh and exciting, which makes it exciting and new for me again.

Anyway, if your mom has any worries, just point out the staff. IRT is always out and about, keeping an eye out for trouble - something that at ACen we generally have very little of. There's always staff members everywhere. If something has you worried, nab one of us.

But you really shouldn't have many worries. If your mom is that worried about it, have her come with one day and shadow you and your brother around the con, so she can see it for herself. Or go with a group of friends so that you always have someone that you're with. And keep a cell phone with you so that you can keep in easy contact with your friends and check in with your mom regularly. Stuff like that helps, trust me.
♥ Alana ♥
Table Top Gaming ADH ACen 2008 - 2010
Table Top Gaming Staff ACen 2006 - 2007
No one has invaded my sig yet. Mwahahahaa >P

....Then along came SongstressLenne ♥ Alkaren stopped in too ♥

#13 User is offline   JNOtaku 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Purge for Inactivity
  • Member No.: 913

Posted 17 January 2008 - 03:21 PM

I went to the ACEN for the first time (in 2002) when I was 15. My dad decided to come along, and I managed to survive (and have fun). Ever since then, he has either dropped me off, or I have traveled there on my own. So, you might want to have your mom and dad drop you off (and show them around for at least a few minutes) to show them it is safe. Focus especially on the IRT staff - they will reassure you that they will take care of any unruly behavior. ;)

JNOtaku
"Why don't you all fade away
And don't try to dig what we all say
I'm not trying to cause a big sensation
I'm just talkin' 'bout my generation" (The Who)
The Otaku Generation: Predicted 30 years earlier! Fight OTAKING!

A soldier of the Glomp Team! Member of the Shy Otaku Syndicate, and the ACEN Yakuza! :D My Webpage! My Myspace! My MAL profile!
Forum Daimyo as of 7/21/2005!!! :) Forum Elite (1337) as of 7/19/2006! :D :D :D

#14 User is offline   kutya1 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 6664

Posted 17 January 2008 - 04:40 PM

Last year was the first year I went to ACen [and it was also without "chaperones"] and I was 14. This year I'm going as well [now 15 XD;] with a group of 15/16 year old friends. ACen is in no way a con "too old" for you. There are tons of people around from various age groups and there is really nothing to worry about in my opinion.
Anime Central '10 :
-Gir.

#15 User is offline   Imaurel 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 16336

Posted 17 January 2008 - 06:05 PM

I'll be less then a month from 17 next time xD;
But as of now I'm sixteen. Technically I was 15 the first time, but only a couple weeks from 16.
I found plenty to do that didn't involve sticking my hands all over weapons or reading manga I wasn't old enough to xD;
:~~~~~Galleries~~~~~:
www.damiset.deviantart.com
www.mangabullet.com/imaurel/profile
imaurel.webs.com
:~~~~~Joined~~~~~:
Pocky Brigade - Pocky Sabotuer
Spam Squad Member!
:~~~~~ACEN Exhibit Hall Staffer - Year 1~~~~~:

#16 User is offline   Alkaren Hyralt 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 6130

Posted 18 January 2008 - 09:46 AM

I'll be 24 by the time of ACen. :[ old Alky.

The general age though as stated above is around the college age, but a lot more younger folks (and parents) are coming to cons now in general.
-Zac /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
ACen 2007 - Present - Forums Manager
ACen 2012 - Guest Relations Handlers DH
ACen 2010, 2011 - Guest Relations Operations ADH
ACen 2008, 2009 - Main Programming ADH
ACen 2006, 2007 - Main Programming Staff
Drunken Otaku Syndicate Member - "This is what happens when you give me vodka that tastes like water!"
Alcoholic Hunter X of the ROS Order
AIM: Alkaren Hyralt / Facebook: alkaren
Questions about forums registration or in general please e-mail us

#17 User is offline   bunnybeth 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 15

Posted 18 January 2008 - 12:27 PM

View Postsailorgaia, on Jan 17 2008, 11:13 AM, said:

May I just say that I've always considered your family to be one of the happiest/coolest"otaku" families I've ever heard of. You cosplay, your husband is cool with it & runs an anime club for his students, and you bring your son to cons?!!? Adorable! :heart:

Why, thank you. :) Geeks don't stop being geeks when they grow up and have a family. Ok, maybe some do, but not us.

View Postfufuberry, on Jan 17 2008, 01:49 PM, said:

I know it's a family con, and it wouldn't really matter to me if it was a college level one, but big cons seem to attract more weird people.....i'm talking about the bad weird, not the otaku weird. My mom's a little over protective, she got really mad at my friend when we were at Youmacon because she was hanging out with a a guy way older than her. She's convinced i'm gonna get kidnaped at one of these things, even though most people are really nice. also, i'm worried about my friend, cuz she's never been to a con before!:lol: thanks!

I'd say that's true with any large gathering of people. Heck, I went on a trip to Disney World (talk about a family-friendly location!) with a high school group back in the day and one of the girls in my group went off with some guy she had just met. Luckily, nothing bad happened to her, but it could have. And, I don't see parents stopping going to Disney World with their kids because some wierdo might show up. They just take precautions based on their kid's ages.
CONversations A webcomic about the CON experience
Anime Eats! A cookbook inspired by food in anime and manga.

"Words can only hurt if you try to read them. Don't play their game." -Derek Zoolander
[BadCat Studios] [CONversations] [Bunnybeth.net]

#18 User is offline   fufuberry 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 18 January 2008 - 08:58 PM

yay! thanks for all the advice! i'm really not that worried, just worried about my mom bein' weird. and you know something really cool?! my 17th birthday is the 16th of May, so i get to celebrate it at ACEN!!!! best present ever! :heart:
CoSpLaYs FoR 2o11:
Chie (Persona 4) ~ 100%

#19 User is offline   Harrison Bergeron 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 666

Posted 18 January 2008 - 09:21 PM

View Postsammy-45, on Jan 16 2008, 05:45 PM, said:

the average age of our con goers are about 17-25 both male and female. Mostly it hits the college age group really big.

But we do have people of all ages at the con. I remember a stories from last year about a grandma who takes her 14 year old grand kid to the convention. She's said she had lots of fun!!!

We also have a children's programing area, with activiteies and shows, just for kids. But it's not babysitting so parents have to go with their kids!!!!!

Change the upper end of the range to 30 and you've got it right on the head.
"Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur... goes a Latin proverb. The world wants to be deceived...So let it be deceived."
"If someone stands in the way of true justice, you simply walk up behind them and stab them in the heart."
Henri Ducard (Ras Al Ghul)- Batman Begins
"It is pleasant at times to play the madman..."
Seneca- Roman Dramatist, Philosopher, & Politician
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of nonviolence to cover impotence."
Mahatma Gandhi (1869 - 1948)
Nothing is true. All is permissible."
Hassan I Sabbah- Lord and leader of the Assassins Cult

#20 User is offline   GaaraFreak 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 3939

Posted 20 January 2008 - 01:38 PM

Ahh neat, I always see so many people from such a wide age range.. I especially love the 'rents with kids who cosplay! :D
And as other's have said, its a pretty wide spread. I first went when I was 17 now am 21. Yes, there are weirdo's occassionally, and you'll probably come across more than a few drunk people, but all in all everyone's nice :lol:

#21 User is offline   kakashi_is_hot 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 16886

Posted 21 January 2008 - 06:56 PM

If my daughter can get her grades up by March 14th (end of current session), I promised to bring her. She is 13 and I'm 38. This will be our first anime convention. I've been to GenCon here in Indy and to Dragon*Con three times, and my husband has been to D*C and a lot of other cons like WindyCon and Wizard World (he's in the 501st Legion, if you know what that is). I told my daughter she can't go to Dragon*Con for a very long time, mainly because she's usually still in school but more importantly because it can get pretty crazy sometimes. We both love Naruto and Bleach, and I'm getting into Fruits Basket, but she knows a lot more about anime than I do. But I've always loved movies like Kiki's Delivery Service, and when she was little we watched Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh together. We're really excited, so I hope she keeps working hard in school!

BTW, she also enjoys drawing and writing her own manga and fanfic stories. Are there ever any panels for budding artists and people who want to break into writing manga, computer animation, etc.?

Also, her favorite shipping is Shikamaru and Temari from Naruto. And I have the hots for Kakashi of Naruto and Renji of Bleach. Too bad I'm married. LOL!

Hope to see y'all at the Con!!! :D

#22 User is offline   kakashi_is_hot 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 16886

Posted 21 January 2008 - 06:58 PM

Oops, forgot to add that my daughter hopes to cosplay (or I guess the proper term is crossplay) as Byakuya Kuchiki of Bleach. I won't be cosplaying myself, but I do have a cute outfit and prop in mind, but it's a surprise! ;-)

#23 User is offline   anime-lover 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 16859

Posted 21 January 2008 - 09:09 PM

lol ya i cant wait see if i able to go this year lol every year i try to go sumtin happens and ma doesnt let meh go lol hopefully i able to go( meet sum new girls and have fun ^^ tat my goal for acen lol)hopefully i can trick my ma in thinkin i goin wit sumone so i can go since everyone i know is thinkin of not goin this year... hopefully i can find sumone to fake mom =3

#24 User is offline   Lenne 

• ACen Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 425

Posted 22 January 2008 - 01:06 AM

View Postkakashi_is_hot, on Jan 21 2008, 06:56 PM, said:

If my daughter can get her grades up by March 14th (end of current session), I promised to bring her. She is 13 and I'm 38. This will be our first anime convention. I've been to GenCon here in Indy and to Dragon*Con three times, and my husband has been to D*C and a lot of other cons like WindyCon and Wizard World (he's in the 501st Legion, if you know what that is). I told my daughter she can't go to Dragon*Con for a very long time, mainly because she's usually still in school but more importantly because it can get pretty crazy sometimes. We both love Naruto and Bleach, and I'm getting into Fruits Basket, but she knows a lot more about anime than I do. But I've always loved movies like Kiki's Delivery Service, and when she was little we watched Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh together. We're really excited, so I hope she keeps working hard in school!

BTW, she also enjoys drawing and writing her own manga and fanfic stories. Are there ever any panels for budding artists and people who want to break into writing manga, computer animation, etc.?

Also, her favorite shipping is Shikamaru and Temari from Naruto. And I have the hots for Kakashi of Naruto and Renji of Bleach. Too bad I'm married. LOL!

Your husband's in the 501st? That's really neat :D
♥ Alana ♥
Table Top Gaming ADH ACen 2008 - 2010
Table Top Gaming Staff ACen 2006 - 2007
No one has invaded my sig yet. Mwahahahaa >P

....Then along came SongstressLenne ♥ Alkaren stopped in too ♥

#25 User is offline   Imaurel 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 16336

Posted 22 January 2008 - 07:30 AM

View Postfufuberry, on Jan 18 2008, 09:58 PM, said:

yay! thanks for all the advice! i'm really not that worried, just worried about my mom bein' weird. and you know something really cool?! my 17th birthday is the 16th of May, so i get to celebrate it at ACEN!!!! best present ever! :heart:

Oh now I am just jealous >_<; If my bdaywas during ACEN my present to myself would be all the yaoi panels and to stick my hands over all the shiny weapons.
:~~~~~Galleries~~~~~:
www.damiset.deviantart.com
www.mangabullet.com/imaurel/profile
imaurel.webs.com
:~~~~~Joined~~~~~:
Pocky Brigade - Pocky Sabotuer
Spam Squad Member!
:~~~~~ACEN Exhibit Hall Staffer - Year 1~~~~~:

#26 User is offline   sammy-45 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 42

Posted 22 January 2008 - 08:20 AM

View Postkakashi_is_hot, on Jan 21 2008, 07:56 PM, said:

I am sure you will have lots of fun at Acen. And we do normally have a few panels to help budding artists learn how to do all sorts of diffrent things. There is noramlly at least 2 how to draw manga panels, and a few on how to get your work published. And since we can pull form so many great people we have people who have done this giving the panel. It really makes it nice when people with first hand experince are there to help you out.

I hope she keeps her grads up!!!!
Staff from 2003 to 2010. Currently Retired.

Blessed are the cracked:
for it is they who let in the light!

Go Cubs!!!!GO BEARS!!!!

#27 User is offline   PepeluTivursky 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 8314

Posted 23 January 2008 - 12:42 AM

View PostAlkaren Hyralt, on Jan 18 2008, 03:46 PM, said:

I'll be 24 by the time of ACen. :[ old Alky.

The general age though as stated above is around the college age, but a lot more younger folks (and parents) are coming to cons now in general.

Bah, by the time ACen hits, I'll be 27 and my friends will be 25. I started going to anime conventions at 21 and I don't really intend to stop soon. :)
"It could be worse. There could be zombies."
My Cosplay.com Profile | Kentucky Geeky LJ Community

Cosplay for '09
Katsura Kotonoha - School Days | Fumika - Shigofumi | Maya Fey - Phoenix Wright | Enma Ai - Jigoku Shoujo | Yako Katsuragi - Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro

#28 User is offline   Alura Embrey 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 16908

Posted 23 January 2008 - 01:25 AM

I'm 19 and I still will be for ACen. Last year sucked in a way cause I was one of 2 people in my group that was 18. So I got stuck buying yaoi for everyone. :rolleyes: This year though, everyone but one stupid little youngen will be 18 or over. So they can buy their down damn porn and leave me alone as I scout out mine. :lol:
Cosplay '09
?Tousen?

My Home and Life
Alura on Myspace
(Make sure to say you're from ACen)

#29 User is offline   Kyoichi-chan 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 7298

Posted 23 January 2008 - 09:57 AM

Hee hee. ^^

Wow it all sounds pretty good. <33

I only went once ( in 2006 missed o7' cause my parents. D< ) but while I was there, I saw whole bunches of people. Mostly 14-20 year olds but I saw a lot of little children too. >W< They were so cute! Most were dressed in traditional Kimonos. -coos-

...-clears throat- Anyways. Heh, I went and I was pretty much unchaparoned too, 'cause my Cousin's mom stayed in the hotel room most of the time, sleeping. It was excellent! >WW< I got to hug so many cute guys that time around it was so much fun. 8D
ACen '13 Cosplay:
Still deciding...
I'm friendly! =D If you live in the Libertyville, IL area drop me a PM sometime. If you contact me, lemme know you're from the ACen forums. XD
AIM, YIM = Sweetums128neo
Past Cosplay:
ACen 'o6: None. =[ My first convention~ }}{{ ACen '1o: None...I did dress up in yellow cat girl stuff. o3o

#30 User is offline   OuranHostClub 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 16964

Post icon  Posted 26 January 2008 - 11:32 AM

ok this may be a dumb question but im new to this...so..ok, is there a certain age you have to be to get into the con or an age to be in the con without an adult or parent?

• 11 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users