Anime Central Forums: When Should We Expect Mailed Badges? - Anime Central Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

When Should We Expect Mailed Badges?

#1 User is offline   Brightdreamer 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 1105

Posted 03 January 2008 - 03:16 PM

I just pre-registered and requested a mailed badge, but then a friend of mine pointed out a potential problem. Some of us are planning on getting together the week before con and hanging out at a friend's house near Chicago, then driving in for the con. If badges are planned to be there only a week before con, we might have a problem.

So, will badges be at our houses a few weeks early, or am I now screwed for saying I want my badge mailed?
"You think so too, right?"

#2 User is offline   meef 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 3767

Posted 12 January 2008 - 11:59 AM

Acen staff, I REALLY hope you will be able to mail the badges a lot sooner this year! Please please please please please! We don't need a repeat of last year's fiasco.

#3 User is offline   Cherry_Wolf 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 2860

Posted 14 January 2008 - 05:19 AM

Now, I don't want to sound like I'm attacking here, cause I'm not... but I asked a similar question not too long ago and I can't even find that thread anymore :lol:, but anyways...

with the lack of response from a staff member who knows what's going on, it makes me feel that you guys are just ignoring this issue. If that is the case, please please, puuuuhhhleeaase don't do that. Look what happened last year.
If you have registrations in, you should have a team figure out when to ship them ASAP. Don't wait for a certain date like last year. You should be sending them out as soon as confirmations are made. That way the blame is on us when we lose them and you won't have the fiasco of last year.

So I beg you, don't do the same stupid stuff as last year.
And I would get on my knees and beg for a staff that knows what's going on with the mailing of badges to finally answer this question. Cause it's starting to feel like they got something to hide because it's been brought up and ignored.
Possible 2015 Cosplays- TBA
Thursday-
Friday- Gon Freecs(HunterxHunter) - 0%
Saturday- Shimizu Kiyoko(Haikyuu!!) - 0%
Sunday-

#4 User is offline   akaikurama 

• Panel Programming Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 10043

Posted 23 January 2008 - 09:04 AM

^is it the tread you started? if it is I found it..I'll past the link here
http://www.acen.org/forums/index.php?showt...19689&st=90
Remember...
Pics
Short but sweet!!

#5 User is offline   VampireLowell 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 9402

Posted 23 January 2008 - 09:25 AM

View Postakaikurama, on Jan 23 2008, 09:04 AM, said:

^is it the tread you started? if it is I found it..I'll past the link here
http://www.acen.org/forums/index.php?showt...19689&st=90

Honestly, I don't think you'll get an answer from any Acen staff member on this. Not sure if some of them are privvy to that info.

But if its any indication, we'll use last year as our comparison: they'll be arriving a week, two weeks, three weeks before hand? Hopefully?
Uh, hi!

Send me a pm if there's anything I could probably help with that is within reason of my current position and knowledge(con-goer).

Hope to meet some of you!

Vampire Lowell
Con-goer 2007

"Sprinkle, sprinkle, little bar, what I wonder is a cat"
"I...FOUND...A...CARROT!!!"
"Can I have some fishy crackers?"

#6 User is offline   `Aygen` 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 4646

Posted 23 January 2008 - 01:03 PM

... If you use last year as a comparison, Mine came 1 week after the con.

日の出では、大麻が舞う そこでラム酒を1パイントを上げると別のガブ飲みする モルガン船長の呪いこの運命に導いている
ない恐れがあるので、ドントルックバック 来世を待って!

_,.=+-~'"`^*^`"'~-+=.,_,.=+-~'"`^*^`"'~-+=.,_
Wii Code - 3597 5584 7250 3042
Xbox Live Tag - Kohato

_,.=+-~'"`^*^`"'~-+=.,_,.=+-~'"`^*^`"'~-+=.,_

#7 User is offline   McWeen 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 9359

Posted 23 January 2008 - 01:12 PM

View Post`Aygen`, on Jan 23 2008, 02:03 PM, said:

... If you use last year as a comparison, Mine came 1 week after the con.

Last year I requested it be mailed and paid the extra for the special badge. Waited in line at the con for a replacement because I hadn't received it.

I never actually received one in the mail. At least the con cost me extra money and I still had to wait in line for hours?
I wish I had something clever to put here :-(

#8 User is offline   Tevva 

• Convention Chair
  • PipPip
  • Group: Officer
  • Member No.: 638

Posted 25 January 2008 - 08:47 PM

hey hey,

expect badges some time in April.

Artie
Artie
ACen Reg Staff 02-05
ACen Reg ADH of Staffing 06-precon 07
ACen Reg DH at con 07
ACen Reg DH 08-09
ACen Con Operations DH 10-precon 11
ACen Con Chair at con 11
ACen Con Chair 12-15

#9 User is offline   Deb 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 10959

Posted 27 January 2008 - 01:37 PM

Some time in April would be great. I was lucky enough last year to get mine the day before I left for the con. It's a great idea, and I hope it works out better for everyone this year.
Anime Central 2010 Pictures on Flickr
Anime Central 2010 Pictures on Picasa

Anime Central 2010
Mitsuru Kirijo (Persona 3)
Yukata

Anime Central 2011
Tali (Mass Effect 2)
Mitsuru (Persona 3) or Rise (Persona 4) or Ulala (Persona 2)

Cosplay.com profile

#10 User is offline   TheMagicWithin 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 5842

Posted 27 January 2008 - 04:53 PM

Now we can only hope it will be sometime early in April so badges won't be arriving the last two weeks before the con, creates a lot of paranoia. Last year I got my badge just a little over a week before the con I believe, and my friend coming with us didn't get hers until a couple days before hand. Hopefully the entire mailed badges thing will run much smoother and everyone will get their badges in time for the con.
ACen 2014:
John Watson: Sherlock
Charlie: Supernatural

Tardis: Doctor Who

#11 User is offline   Tevva 

• Convention Chair
  • PipPip
  • Group: Officer
  • Member No.: 638

Posted 28 January 2008 - 01:14 AM

Hey Guys and Gals,

Once again im sorry for the f*** up last year with the badge mailing. Please understand this.

The mistakes have been made and we learned from them.

I know a lot of you a still a annoyed about last year, but for my sake can we please let it go at least on the forums.

all i can do is ask and this is me asking.

Artie
Artie
ACen Reg Staff 02-05
ACen Reg ADH of Staffing 06-precon 07
ACen Reg DH at con 07
ACen Reg DH 08-09
ACen Con Operations DH 10-precon 11
ACen Con Chair at con 11
ACen Con Chair 12-15

#12 User is offline   VampireLowell 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 9402

Posted 28 January 2008 - 10:40 AM

View PostTevva, on Jan 25 2008, 08:47 PM, said:

hey hey,

Artie

That's some great news to hear. Heh, I'm sure you'll have alot of people, drooling with anticipation, waiting for their badges to arrive once April comes.

lol.

I know I will be ^^
Uh, hi!

Send me a pm if there's anything I could probably help with that is within reason of my current position and knowledge(con-goer).

Hope to meet some of you!

Vampire Lowell
Con-goer 2007

"Sprinkle, sprinkle, little bar, what I wonder is a cat"
"I...FOUND...A...CARROT!!!"
"Can I have some fishy crackers?"

#13 User is offline   Berry 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 1660

Posted 28 January 2008 - 01:19 PM

What happened to the idea of mailing badges in waves instead of one big group?
Eric Berry

ACEN STAFFER 2005-2007, 2010.
Acen Production Staff 2010 - Department Head
Acen Production Staff 2007 - Assistant Department Head Project Management
Acen Production Staff 2006 - Production Designer

#14 User is offline   Ashori 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 10991

Posted 28 January 2008 - 03:56 PM

I hope it goes smoothly this year. I got mine the week before A-Cen (ironically, the day I almost had a panic attack going "AHH, where's our badges!?" XD), but hopefully it comes earlier this year, like mid-April or so.
Cosplay Status: Maya Kitajima - Bianca Mask (Pirate Form - 100%; Glass Mask), Lucy Heartfilia (2%; Fairy Tail), Castle of Hearts Alice Liddell (100%; Kuni no Alice series)
My dA | My YouTube Page | My FF.Net Page

#15 User is offline   rime 

• Pip
  • Group: Purge for Inactivity
  • Member No.: 10045

Posted 02 February 2008 - 11:46 PM

I understand that you've learned from last years mistakes, intend to do better this year, and would like us to drop it. *nodnod* But look at it from our end.

Last year was rather nerve wracking, with all of us hoping we'd get our badges, and some of us getting them only a couple days before, others after the con entirely. So it's only understandable that we'd be a bit anxious this year.

If we promise not to bring up last year, will you give us as many details as you pin down about how the badges will be mailed and when? I don't expect you to have everything set in stone (that's the fastest way to have it blow up in your face) but if its going to be sent out all at once, or sent in waves... or a range of dates we could expect to get the badges in... stuff like that would be great. ^_^;

#16 User is offline   akaikurama 

• Panel Programming Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 10043

Posted 03 February 2008 - 11:13 AM

View PostTevva, on Jan 25 2008, 08:47 PM, said:

hey hey,

Artie

Thank you for an answer.
Remember...
Pics
Short but sweet!!

#17 User is offline   otakuoasis 

• Pip
  • Group: Purge for Inactivity
  • Member No.: 17140

Posted 05 February 2008 - 11:58 PM

Yeah I'm new to this con thing so I was also wondering the same thing, when do we get our badges?! and if we dont' recieve them in the mail, do we just show up at the convention and say "hey I bought a badge that never arrived" and they will find it for us, or will be have to pay extra for the badges that never arrived? (what do people do when they don't recieve their badges by mail and how do they solve that issue?)

I would just like to prepare for the worst...
Thanks!!! :lol:

#18 User is offline   Jello 

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 3087

Posted 06 February 2008 - 04:40 PM

The last i heard we had still planned on sending them in waves. Dont quote me on this because that could have changed. But I do believe we had planned to have the first wave done by the end of the month but again dont quote me on that because also could have changed since the last time i talked to our lovely reg dh

ACen Registration Staff 2006-2009, 2012-2013
Assistant Department Head of Registration 2010 - 2011
Youmacon VAT Staff 2008-2012

#19 User is offline   setsuna3380 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 10731

Posted 15 February 2008 - 10:29 AM

thanks for the info, I was a little worried about how the badge mailing would go since i just registered and saw the only option was for mailing a badge. I received my badge last year almost 2 weeks before the con and was glad I didn't have to wait in line or anything. Getting them in April would be awesome, especially for those of us who would rather not worry about the hassle of not getting one at all. Once again thanks

#20 User is offline   Riker 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 17316

Posted 25 February 2008 - 11:38 PM

Ok guys.

You make a good point -- communication is the key. You guys want to know what's going on with your badges, and when we don't tell you, you fear the worst, because we haven't given you any reason not to. So, I'm going to try to communicate with you all, and let you know as much as I can. (Note that there are some things we just keep private and that I'm not really at liberty to discuss. I hope you guys can understand and respect that.)

Before badges can be mailed, they have to be printed. This involves two things: one, the actual badge stock has to be printed, which is something that happens in the Production department; and two, the actual text that is unique to your badge has to be printed, which is something that happens in Registration.

Before Production prints the badges, the designs need to be finalized. I know I always love the art that goes onto the badges, and this year's badges are truly astounding -- I've seen the samples. The art and styling usually isn't finalized until, oh, around February every year.

The interesting part is that before Registration can print off the text for each badge, we have to have the software that will do it. :P As you will have noticed, last year's software was... well... I can politely describe it as a flaming bag. Thus why we literally threw out last year's failed system and re-wrote the new one from scratch. A heck of a lot of man-hours have come out of my spare time and Rabbi's to write this new system, and it is still a work in progress. (I blew pretty much my entire weekend on fixing that "hijack the session" bug.) Right now, we have not yet written the code that prints out the badge text, because we can't get access to the printers that we need the code to work with. That's the next step, and we're due to get the printers later this week. Once we have them, we can teach the software to interact with them, and then we can start printing badges.

Rabbi goes to school full-time and I have a full-time job, which also requires me to travel frequently. We are keenly aware of the rapidly-approaching con. One thing that really does not help is a bunch of people crabbing at us about last year. (Not you guys specifically; there were A LOT of dissatisfied people last year.) Rabbi and I did not write that system; Goon (Artie) was not in charge of Registration. If anything, it should be a measure of how seriously the con leadership is taking last year's snafu that they were willing to throw out the whole thing and start over.

So: printers, programming, printed badges, mailed badges, in that order. We're working on it. We'll try to keep you posted. B)

Update 2/26: I have been informed that I will get access to the printers tomorrow (the 27th). See? Progress! :)
Update 2/27: I now have one of our badge printers! The task of designing and building the printing code begins!
Update 2/29: I am driving up to Madison this weekend with the badge printer so that Rabbi and I can have a weekend coding frenzy... wish us luck!
Riker
Night Shift Dispatcher, IRT
Programmer and Network Tech, IT Dept.
Convention Committee Member, Operations Section

Property of SongstressLenne ♥

Orbis Arangiam Nostram Est

#21 User is offline   Rawk z3r0 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 15588

Posted 27 February 2008 - 08:12 PM

ACEN STAFF IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for all the work you do! I know there's a lot to cover just to create an amazing event that many of you don't even get to fully experience because of all the work you have to do while running it, and I can't tell you how gracious I am for your selflessness in that sense. Keep working on making this con to be one of the greatest in North America!!!!!

#22 User is offline   TheRabbi 

• IRT ADH
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Assistant Department Head
  • Member No.: 591

Posted 27 February 2008 - 09:21 PM

@Rawk0: Your post just became the background for the desktop I do programming on. Thanks! ^^

View PostRawk z3r0, on Feb 27 2008, 08:12 PM, said:

ACEN STAFF IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for all the work you do! I know there's a lot to cover just to create an amazing event that many of you don't even get to fully experience because of all the work you have to do while running it, and I can't tell you how gracious I am for your selflessness in that sense. Keep working on making this con to be one of the greatest in North America!!!!!

Eli "Rabbi" Morris-Heft: IRT Assistant Department Head
SecDiv Dispatch 2004, IRT Communications ADH 2005-06, IRT Dispatch Supervisor 2007-2010, IRT Dispatch Commander 2011, IRT ADH 2012-, IT Senior Sysadmin 2007-2011, ACen Clergy, 2004-

"Two-three the count with nobody on / He hit a high fly into the stands / Roundin' third, he was headed for home / It was a brown-eyed handsome man (that won the game) / It was a brown-eyed handsome man." (Brown-Eyed Handsome Man by Chuck Berry)

I <3 People Who <3 IRT!Want to help make IRT even better? Apply next year!

#23 User is offline   misty 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 10855

Posted 28 February 2008 - 07:22 AM

Thanks for the details, Riker! I'm excited! Imagine how smoothly things will run At Con when we get our badges ahead of time :D. Keep up the good work, and thanks for being so open about the process!
acen2008: Sexy Ninja Clan 「get ready to be assexxinated
agenda: Johnny's Entertainment Gathering ACEN Idol CLIPTOMANIA
your loveもう一度 please 時を戻せたらいいのに
selling manga/anime over here

#24 User is offline   Big__Tasty 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 17512

Posted 13 March 2008 - 10:48 PM

Well, I certainly hope the mail-in badges get out on time this year. I know the Acen staff works hard each year to accommodate the fast-growing number of attendees who enjoy the fruits of their labors. It just seems like registration has always been a hassle. Pre-registration has gotten sketchy, and at-the-door is even worse. I'm not positive what the attendance numbers are (I've read 11,500, but I'm not sure if that's total or per-day). That's obviously a lot of people, but not much compared to other conventions. Take GenCon, for example. In 2007 they had over 30,000 attendees a day, and every time I've gone there I've never had to worry about pre-registration because standing in line takes no time at all, and my friends who do pre-register always get their badges weeks in advance. So there's nothing inherently slow or difficult about registration, and I hope you guys find that magic method to make it easier for yourselves and the con-goers. I hope this is taken as constructive criticism. Good luck with the upcoming weeks of making sure those badges get out!

#25 User is offline   TheRabbi 

• IRT ADH
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Assistant Department Head
  • Member No.: 591

Posted 14 March 2008 - 10:20 AM

View PostBig__Tasty, on Mar 13 2008, 11:48 PM, said:

Well, I certainly hope the mail-in badges get out on time this year. I know the Acen staff works hard each year to accommodate the fast-growing number of attendees who enjoy the fruits of their labors. It just seems like registration has always been a hassle. Pre-registration has gotten sketchy, and at-the-door is even worse. I'm not positive what the attendance numbers are (I've read 11,500, but I'm not sure if that's total or per-day). That's obviously a lot of people, but not much compared to other conventions. Take GenCon, for example. In 2007 they had over 30,000 attendees a day, and every time I've gone there I've never had to worry about pre-registration because standing in line takes no time at all, and my friends who do pre-register always get their badges weeks in advance. So there's nothing inherently slow or difficult about registration, and I hope you guys find that magic method to make it easier for yourselves and the con-goers. I hope this is taken as constructive criticism. Good luck with the upcoming weeks of making sure those badges get out!

Thanks for the support!

I could talk about 'finding that magic method' or I could discuss whether there is anything inherently slow or difficult about registration, or I could talk about this year's new leadership of registration and how that change affects how that department does things. But I'm only going to note that GenCon staffers get paid and, as such, working for GenCon is their only job. Our staffers are all volunteers, and some of us - like me - have to balance school and work with con activities. That may also explain why we don't have the gears oiled up quite as well as GenCon does.

We're trying very hard, though, and with the new leadership in Registration and a brand-new written-from-scratch registration program, I think we're getting there.
Eli "Rabbi" Morris-Heft: IRT Assistant Department Head
SecDiv Dispatch 2004, IRT Communications ADH 2005-06, IRT Dispatch Supervisor 2007-2010, IRT Dispatch Commander 2011, IRT ADH 2012-, IT Senior Sysadmin 2007-2011, ACen Clergy, 2004-

"Two-three the count with nobody on / He hit a high fly into the stands / Roundin' third, he was headed for home / It was a brown-eyed handsome man (that won the game) / It was a brown-eyed handsome man." (Brown-Eyed Handsome Man by Chuck Berry)

I <3 People Who <3 IRT!Want to help make IRT even better? Apply next year!

#26 User is offline   ~Sarah-Chan~ 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 17387

Posted 18 March 2008 - 08:18 AM

Hooray to the Acen Staff that can answer our questions.

I was wondering when we would get our badges....my friend had hers delivered in the mail...showed up a month after the con was over. She and I waited two hours in line and now I'm having mine sent in the mail

It's nice to know that we'll get them around April

#27 User is offline   Kozi 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 10798

Posted 28 March 2008 - 09:50 AM

Staying on the badge topic..

Any word on why we couldn't get special badges this year? I think I may be quite sad when I get mine and realize it's not holo-spiff-tastic. xD
Kozinu.com . I X I . Myspace . I X I . Personal Site . I X I . Cosplay.com

On AIM. (AIM=Kozinu)

Cosplaying:
Gothy...? No actual cosplay, sorries. Too poor/time restricted this year. (Just got my own place. x-x)

Acen 2007 Photos
Acen 2008 Photos

Claimed by: No one, I r teh singul0r.

=^.^= Part of the Neko Community =^.^=
Yes, I will have jingly black/red kitty ears on for most of the con!

#28 User is offline   trythisoutchiki 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 6244

Posted 28 March 2008 - 10:56 AM

Because last year was ACen's 10 anniversary. So they won't be selling something similar again, unless they decide to do it for their 15th and/or 20th anniversary *if we are all lucky enough to still have it around by then, knocks on wood*
Gothic and Lolita handbook
PROUD MEMBER OF THE SPAM SQUAD!! Eliminated (1)

#29 User is offline   Kozi 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 10798

Posted 28 March 2008 - 11:51 AM

Thanks so much.. xD Sorry, I'm slow. Ah, sad.

Good to know! I still do miss the cool badge tho. D:
Kozinu.com . I X I . Myspace . I X I . Personal Site . I X I . Cosplay.com

On AIM. (AIM=Kozinu)

Cosplaying:
Gothy...? No actual cosplay, sorries. Too poor/time restricted this year. (Just got my own place. x-x)

Acen 2007 Photos
Acen 2008 Photos

Claimed by: No one, I r teh singul0r.

=^.^= Part of the Neko Community =^.^=
Yes, I will have jingly black/red kitty ears on for most of the con!

#30 User is offline   trythisoutchiki 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 6244

Posted 28 March 2008 - 09:39 PM

No biggy, everybody misses something at some point. :)
Gothic and Lolita handbook
PROUD MEMBER OF THE SPAM SQUAD!! Eliminated (1)

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users