Anime Central Forums: Sleep Well Or Party Hardy? - Anime Central Forums

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Sleep Well Or Party Hardy?

Poll: Sleep Is For The Weak Vs. Rest Is Best (200 member(s) have cast votes)

Which One Are You?

1. I need my beauty sleep! (73 votes [36.50%])

Percentage of vote: 36.50%

2. Whats sleep? (127 votes [63.50%])

Percentage of vote: 63.50%

Vote

#1 User is offline   excel excel 

• Panel Programming <3
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderator
  • Member No.: 1495

Post icon  Posted 14 December 2007 - 12:19 AM

I dont know about you guys but as much as I :heart: acen because theres always something to do for 24 hours, my body just get tired and I go to my hotel room to get some sleep. I know my limits. Plus I dont want to have baggy under eyes. Rest is good for the body but for some we have congoers who party til the break of dawn. I wanna know how do you do it and why? You dont ever feel tired? :lol:
ACen 2013 Cosplay Plans:
MST3k Mike Nelson & Crow-Friday
Team Fortress 2 Medic-Saturday

#2 User is offline   trythisoutchiki 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 6244

Posted 14 December 2007 - 01:57 AM

Mine is a bootleg style of sleep. In that I lay in the bed talking nonstop to my roomies till I pass out in mid sentence. ^_^' And wake up 2-3 hours later >_>' So I stay up till the wee hours of the morning, just laying down when I do it.:blush: Luckily my roomies don't hate me for it. And seem to love the way I tell stories about my life. :heart:
Gothic and Lolita handbook
PROUD MEMBER OF THE SPAM SQUAD!! Eliminated (1)

#3 User is offline   kahad 

• Panel Programming Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 532

Posted 14 December 2007 - 02:11 AM

Sleep??? What's that???

:huh: :huh: :huh:
K-chan (nickname given by ngsilver)
Are YOU on my grilling list??? (Updated 9-26-2008)
Master Chef of the Great Otaku Army and Spam Squad member!!!
AMV Staff ACen 2005-2007, Panel Programming Staff ACen 2008-2012 :)
Maho! - not just a saying, a way of life.

#4 User is offline   slrphebos 

• Customer Service Staff
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 974

Posted 14 December 2007 - 02:17 AM

I have no real choice but to get sleep as if any emergency comes up I have to be awake enough to drive and handle things. Not to mention I got a pain condition that makes me take a break even if I don't want to. Hard to keep partying when your body is screaming "i want sleep or you'll see if you get out of bed later" so I've had to learn to listen to that nagging voice. <_<
~Ri-chan
ACen 2013-2014: Customer Service

2013 Cosplay: Team Aqua Grunt (100%), Fluttershy Sweet Lolita (95%)

#5 User is offline   excel excel 

• Panel Programming <3
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 1495

Posted 14 December 2007 - 07:51 AM

I tried once to stay awake for 24 hours but I just couldnt do it. My eyelids were getting heavy and i just wanted to crawl right back into bed and get some sleep. Oh that bed felt so good~ :heart: I just cant see you you die hards can survive a day without rest!! :lol:
ACen 2013 Cosplay Plans:
MST3k Mike Nelson & Crow-Friday
Team Fortress 2 Medic-Saturday

#6 User is offline   Cherry_Wolf 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 2860

Posted 14 December 2007 - 08:08 AM

I have once, in my entire life, stayed up for 24 hours... and I was younger and full of more energy than now.

As much as I love ACen and would give a left leg to stay up all night, I can't >>;; I need sleep~
But hopefully with how many nights I've been working and what not, maybe I will be up to staying up past 1 this year. o.o~ Too bad I'm not old enough for some of the con parties. lolol.
Possible Cosplays-
Takanashi Rikka - Chuunibyou (95% done)
Onoda Sakamichi - Yowamushi Pedal(90%)
Tokino - Lamento: Beyond the Void(75% done)

#7 User is offline   yor9790 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 10188

Posted 14 December 2007 - 08:38 AM

Sleep is a waste of acen time. Besides, you can get all the sleep you want when your dead.
i'm back, for now anyway.

#8 User is offline   sailorgaia 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 3856

Posted 14 December 2007 - 09:05 AM

I value my sleep at conventions, but I do pull later nighters. I generally make it up by sleeping late in the morning. After all, there isn't much to do in the early morning of the con anyway. For Anime Iowa this year, I made a grevious mistake of taking on too many cosplays for people that I had to finish in a weeks time. Because I work full time, I ended up going to work then coming home & sewing for hours. The last few days I ended up staying up for two days straight--I'm seriously not kidding. I was hyped up on 5-hour energy shots & Monster. When we went to leave, after only about thirty minutes on the road I declared myself a hazard and made someone else drive up because I could -not- keep my eyes open. Not a good idea when driving...

I will promise myself -never- to do that again. It was not the right thing to do for a hobby.
"I like it when you clap for me, Ultros. I can just close my eyes and imagine that four people are clapping for me at once!"
Locke, the Hand of God

#9 User is offline   akaikurama 

• Panel Programming Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 10043

Posted 14 December 2007 - 09:05 AM

Well I sleep in-between activities....like before anime hell....
Remember...
Pics
Short but sweet!!

#10 Guest_ToxicQuiddity_*

• Group: Guests*
  • Member No.:

Posted 14 December 2007 - 10:28 AM

I HAVE TO SLEEP
Last time I went I would go to bed around 12am and wake up around 8am then get ready very fast and head out
I would skiup breakfast to make it to ACEN before I wasted anymore time
x]

#11 User is offline   this_chick25 

• Registration Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 7489

Posted 14 December 2007 - 10:52 AM

I am required to shut my eyes for minimum total of 4 hours over a 72-hour period or I start hallucinating (which is fun, but relative mental coherence is better); since I pick up on the energies present in my surroundings, the resonant excitment in the atmosphere of a con makes it impossible to get a full night's sleep even if I did try.

So in essence, when you get excited, I feed...
Acen Attendee since 2001
Wondering how much to save for ACen? Click here!
FREE! Cosplay construction and materials advice--get yours now!
Never cause more mischief than that which is necessary for success.
Sig invade'd'd'd'd'd'd'd'd'd by Alk <3

#12 User is offline   Imaurel 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 16336

Posted 14 December 2007 - 11:00 AM

Last year I slept for at least 8 hours a day.
This year I don't plan on getting in until I absolutely have to.
Party hardy, hur-hur.
:~~~~~Galleries~~~~~:
www.damiset.deviantart.com
www.mangabullet.com/imaurel/profile
imaurel.webs.com
:~~~~~Joined~~~~~:
Pocky Brigade - Pocky Sabotuer
Spam Squad Member!
:~~~~~ACEN Exhibit Hall Staffer - Year 1~~~~~:

#13 Guest_ToxicQuiddity_*

• Member No.:

Posted 14 December 2007 - 12:22 PM

View PostImaurel, on Dec 14 2007, 12:00 PM, said:

Last year I slept for at least 8 hours a day.
This year I don't plan on getting in until I absolutely have to.
Party hardy, hur-hur.

PFFFT
Then you aint staying in my room~
I need my sleep

#14 User is offline   Alicorn 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 8346

Posted 14 December 2007 - 12:22 PM

I gotta side with you on this one, excel excel X3 Sleep is my friend! I don't have fun when I'm so tired I can't enjoy the con. The only time I pulled a real allnighter during a convention was five years ago at Ushicon...hanging out in the gameroom playing DDR with some people I'd just met, we just...didn't leave XD None of the staff cared that we were in the gameroom all night, which was pretty funny. But then, that was on Saturday - there's wasn't really much to do on Sunday except go home, so that wasn't a problem.

MAINLY though, at that con I hitched a ride from Dallas to Austin with some friends, so they could drive back. Nowadays I usually drive to cons by myself (or transport carless friends), or if it's far away like ACen, I drive myself to the airport. So I need to get some kind of sleep over the weekend so I'm able to safely get home once I'm back in Dallas ;_;

Not to mention I get physically ill in unpleasant ways (let's just say I'm not talking your normal cold-like con plague symptoms X3) if I miss too much sleep coupled with the stress (even if it's fun stress, it's still stress) of running around the con. So it behooves me to get my darn 50 winks!

Usually I only sleep about...6 hours a night or so, though. That's not enough if I do it every day, but for a weekend I'm fine ^_^

Like I said...I know you can sleep any time and the convention is the only convention all year (well, it's not for me, but for a lot of people it is), but I really don't enjoy it if I'm tired and sick, so I try to avoid getting that way. If you want to stay up as long as you can, that's your thing, but if you can at least get a few hours of shut-eye I bet you'd be a lot happier :o (and please for the love of whatever you hold most dear and holy, don't combine total sleep deprivation with a diet of solely ramune and pocky XD HELLO AMBULANCE! I make the laughy emoticon but it's true!)

#15 User is offline   Lenne 

• ACen Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 425

Posted 14 December 2007 - 01:53 PM

The last two years I've been averaging about 10 hours of sleep...over the entire weekend. Thursday - Sunday. Yeah, that's not a lot.

But so long as I remember to make myself eat enough, I can handle it fine, though I do tend to be completely wiped out by Sunday afternoon. Good thing last year, even though I didn't ask for the Monday after the con off, my boss gave me it off anyway (though he also called me at the con with my schedule, that was funny) :P
♥ Alana ♥
Table Top Gaming ADH ACen 2008 - 2010
Table Top Gaming Staff ACen 2006 - 2007
No one has invaded my sig yet. Mwahahahaa >P

....Then along came SongstressLenne ♥ Alkaren stopped in too ♥

#16 User is offline   Imaurel 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 16336

Posted 14 December 2007 - 05:50 PM

View PostToxicQuiddity, on Dec 14 2007, 01:22 PM, said:

PFFFT
Then you aint staying in my room~
I need my sleep

Have fun sharing beds with a stranger X3
And I didn't mean staying up in the room.
:~~~~~Galleries~~~~~:
www.damiset.deviantart.com
www.mangabullet.com/imaurel/profile
imaurel.webs.com
:~~~~~Joined~~~~~:
Pocky Brigade - Pocky Sabotuer
Spam Squad Member!
:~~~~~ACEN Exhibit Hall Staffer - Year 1~~~~~:

#17 User is offline   CrimsonSky 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 11894

Posted 14 December 2007 - 10:59 PM

Sleep is good granted but since I don't sleep much to begin with I can go for a couple of days without it and then crash after that. Once went a month with maybe an hour or two a night. But ya my sleeping habits are already messed up so definately will be doing whatever I can till I can't go any longer.

#18 User is offline   psyco_chick32 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 1735

Posted 15 December 2007 - 05:59 AM

Well, I'm epileptic, and my seizures are caused by sleeplessness and stress SOOOOO...

My husband INSISTS that I get a decent amount of sleep... and my meds knock me out, too.
No choice!

#19 User is offline   Mullenkamp 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 495

Posted 15 December 2007 - 11:29 AM

Lack of sleep lowers the immune system's ability to fight off illnesses, and considering that you're going to be running around in a large crowd of people, many of whom will go "I don't care if I'm so sick I can hardly stand up - I'm going to the con anyway!" ... I recommend sleep. And eating some healthy food, and getting plenty to drink that is neither caffeinated or alcoholic. (I'm pretty bad about the remembering to drink thing... I don't drink alcohol, and caffeine tends to induce panic attacks, but I usually have so much fun at cons that I forget to go find something to drink on a regular basis.) Keep that immune system in good condition.

Basically, I will never share a room with more than two other people, and only if I know that those two people are not going to keep me awake by coming in and out all night, bringing other people in, etc.. My girlfriend basically describes our room policy as "The room is for sleeping, changing, and snacking and hanging out if they don't prohibit people from doing either of the other things."

Unfortunately, I work third shift, so I have to readjust my sleep schedule for cons, and usually have all of one day to do this in before I show up. So I crash at strange hours, and then am awake at 4 am even if I only got four hours sleep and am utterly exhausted, because my internal clock is going "Time to get out the donuts, fire up the grill, and make the first pots of coffee!" :P And then last year, this was compounded by lying awake most of Friday night and running over the script for our masquerade skit in my head... then I came home from the con Sunday and went directly to work. The next day, I was hallucinating, and not in fun ways.

So I don't actually sleep much at cons... but darnit, I TRY. I'd prefer not to catch con plague, or sleepily forget the blocking for our skit while onstage, or have disgusting bags under my eyes while getting my picture taken, or spend another night believing that someone's strangling me in my sleep and I'm unable to wake up...

#20 User is offline   Horondo 

• Registration Staff
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 1941

Posted 15 December 2007 - 11:39 AM

Well this past year i slept for a total of 30min the entire 3 days. Was I tired when I got home? Hell yeah I passed out within seconds of hitting my bed, but damn I had a great time

#21 User is offline   audaciouska241 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 10462

Posted 15 December 2007 - 08:35 PM

In the words of Andrew W.K........PARTY PARTY PARTY!!!

#22 User is offline   Rogu-chan 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 6178

Posted 16 December 2007 - 12:01 PM

ha. i love sleep. but at the same time, i can sleep at home. usually if there's nothing that's going on my friends and I will go back to the room to take naps. or if we're going up to change cosplays. but i get the feeling that this year the naps will need to turn into actual sleep because of the partying that will inevitably go on. ^-^

:3
2008 Cosplay
????
make a new friend! (myspace)

#23 User is offline   Aonele 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 11231

Posted 16 December 2007 - 05:03 PM

I'm with the "I NEED SLEEP TO FUNCTION" people, so even when con rolls around, I'll try to get as much sleep as I can. I can probably stay up till 1-2AM if I need to, but after that I definitely will need to sleep.

Besides, whenever I don't get enough sleep I either break out with acne or become really cranky, and it's no fun either way XD
---Cosplay List 2012---
Will not be attending ;-;

#24 User is offline   Alkaren Hyralt 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 6130

Posted 16 December 2007 - 08:46 PM

At any convention but ACen I tend to party pretty hard. Except a-kon which is nothing but an Apples to Apples marathon over the whole con.

I tend to generally be working during ACen so i sleep a lot less.
-Zac /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
ACen 2007 - Present - Forums Manager
ACen 2012 - Guest Relations Handlers DH
ACen 2010, 2011 - Guest Relations Operations ADH
ACen 2008, 2009 - Main Programming ADH
ACen 2006, 2007 - Main Programming Staff
Drunken Otaku Syndicate Member - "This is what happens when you give me vodka that tastes like water!"
Alcoholic Hunter X of the ROS Order
AIM: Alkaren Hyralt / Facebook: alkaren
Questions about forums registration or in general please e-mail us

#25 User is offline   Jello 

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 3087

Posted 17 December 2007 - 01:59 AM

I sleep a little at cons... usually I use Thursday as a my one GOOD night of sleep cuz come friday and saturday night im off doing so many different things that i dont think about sleeping.... and in some cases the only reason i pass out is cuz im to drunk to do anything else :-\

ACen Registration Staff 2006-2009, 2012-2013
Assistant Department Head of Registration 2010 - 2011
Youmacon VAT Staff 2008-2012

#26 User is offline   KnitChick 

• ACen Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 9629

Posted 17 December 2007 - 04:29 AM

Man I used to be able to stay awake an entire weekend with no more than just a nap or two and lots of Mountain Dew or Dr Pepper but alas I'm getting old! *pout*

This past Acen I didn't leave until about 2 am each night and returned about 9-11 am. But I had to drive the three miles home, and then drive back and find parking. I'll probably stay awake longer and at the con longer this year seeing as I'm staying in the hotel :)
Special Needs and Compliance DH for Acen! Come see us in the Hyatt Grand Boardroom!!
Acen 2014: 50s Sailor Mercury, Agent Simmons from S.H.I.E.L.D., Kim Possible, Ghostbuster, frazzled DH
Youmacon 2014: (tentative) Captain Marvelous, Agent Simmons?, Ace from Doctor Who?
Chicago TARDIS 2014: (tentative) Fourth Doctor, Ace

Member of Team GEEK for the Norridge/Harwood Heights Relay for Life! Please join us or donate!
Ninja on the Glomp Team! Member of the Crossplay Alliance! / My blog / My pictures! (Flickr)
Resident Ghostbusters, Doctor Who, Firefly, Quantum Leap, Transformers, Harry Potter, Highlander, Girl Genius, Super Sentai and Nerima Daikon Brothers obsessor!

#27 User is offline   GaaraFreak 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Purge for Inactivity
  • Member No.: 3939

Posted 17 December 2007 - 06:51 PM

Definately need sleep here, even if its only a couple hours! I start to get irratable real fast if I don't get my sleep, haha.

#28 User is offline   Trini 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 4588

Posted 17 December 2007 - 08:59 PM

On a daily basis, I can function off of 4-6 hours of sleep (although it's most likely why I get sick all the time...). Last ACen, I had intended on stayin out later at the raves, but our chaperon wasn't sure about the curfew things so we got back in earlier. When I go to things like this though, I take naps during the times where nothing is happening then go out again so no problem. I plan on getting more sleep the week before though just for that extra boost.
dA | tumblr

'14 Cosplays:
Bianchi - KHR | Wooper gijinka or kigurumi - Pokemon | Chocolove - Shaman King (?) | Sable Able gijinka - Animal Crossing (?) | Bouffalant gijinka - Pokemon (?)

Self-proclaimed Ramune Connoisseur

#29 User is offline   Cherry_Wolf 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 2860

Posted 17 December 2007 - 10:02 PM

View Postakaikurama, on Dec 14 2007, 09:05 AM, said:

Well I sleep in-between activities....like before anime hell....

omg, that is a good idea. Since I'm a big fan of Hell & Madness... I think I will start doing this too!
Possible Cosplays-
Takanashi Rikka - Chuunibyou (95% done)
Onoda Sakamichi - Yowamushi Pedal(90%)
Tokino - Lamento: Beyond the Void(75% done)

#30 Guest_ToxicQuiddity_*

• Member No.:

Posted 18 December 2007 - 08:40 AM

View PostImaurel, on Dec 14 2007, 06:50 PM, said:

Have fun sharing beds with a stranger X3
And I didn't mean staying up in the room.

*A*
Ah, in that case your welcome to share beds with me~

Im going to kick out anyone who bothers me
I get really mean without my sleep
D:<

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users