• This topic is locked

Community College Sucks! Feel the pain?

#1 User is offline   audaciouska241 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 10462

Post icon  Posted 10 December 2007 - 04:12 PM

I'm just curious to see how many of you out there are like me and had alllll of your little buddies go off to their big bad universities while you're stuck at your local community college. And the people there wouldn't know what a shinigami was if it bit them on the nose.

Who feels the love?

#2 User is offline   Lee vs Gaara 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 9411

Posted 10 December 2007 - 04:20 PM

Oh, everyone here knows what a Shinigami is... Anime is too popular of a trend for people not to know at this point...

But yeah, I'm wasting away at College of DuPage. A damn good school, but still just a community college, I mean... Nothing to brag about.... But what universities are there that are so much better? I mean, honestly? This way you spend just a small bit more time in school, and get an associates degree as well as a Bachelor's.

Besides, when you are a film student, you deal with elitist, pretentious douchebags. Everywhere. At least at Community college, they are elitist pretentious douchebags who hope they can be hot crap. At Four year schools, they already think they are!
Jesus died for our sins. And we repay him by Gaybashing, woman hating, and doing everything we can to hold back scientific progress.
www.myspace.com/half_fish

#3 User is offline   Mock-Kappa 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 3036
  • Location:A branch of the Miskatonic University in Sugar Grove, IL.

Posted 10 December 2007 - 05:02 PM

I don't really have any bad memories of my community college years at Waubonsee Community College.
Of course then again I did try to start a mock club dedicated to the large mother possum that wandered the Sugar Grove Campus.
Saw some large Vulture like birds that were not Turkey Vultures.
Meet both of my last two ex-girlfriends there.
Watch one of my high school friends have a full grown goose follow him around to the point that it seem it was in love with him, this went on for a whole Spring Semester. There were moments where we'd be playing cards in the one conferance hall and we'd look over and the goose would appear to be staring at him from outside the window.
I spent time in the campus library watching Monster movies in the little used media room.
Spent a whole day watching contining loop of Terror of Mecha-Godzilla for a movie review project I did for a film class.
Having one of my ex-girlfriends forget to pick me up at my house and having to walk from my house to the campus on the day of an important presention I had to do. The whole incident was like something out of Seinfield.
Watched the Twin Towers fall on T.V. on 9/11 and meet my first ex on the same day. That should have been a warning I guess. Then again my 2nd ex-girlfriend I meet on Halloween the following year.
Was introduced to the wild world that is the Acen Forums.

Now as far as my time at NIU was hell. Mainly due to some of the teachers and the snobbness of some of the Anime Club members. But that is another whole rant all together.
I don't walk to the beat of a different drummer, I have a whole band including bagpipes.
Undisputed King of the ACen Kaiju Fans. Eater of Spam.
General of the Men's Pocky Garrison
"There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'. " -Dave Barry-
Santa is watching you.
Con outlook for 2014: Karoshi-con 2014, C2E2, ACen 2014, Anime Midwest 2014 (staff), G-Fest XXI, and Con Alt Delete?(staff)
ACen Cosplay outlook 14: Gummy The Alligator (MLP), End of Days Santa, Dr. Hiriluk (One Piece)-Hopefully-, Professor Birch (Pokemon), Woodney ( Black Cat)-Possibly-.

#4 User is offline   GiveUpTheGhost 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 3441

Posted 10 December 2007 - 06:23 PM

Hey you save money on your pre-req's why pay large university prices for college freshman english, speech, algebra, Ect. The only classes you should worry about getting from your 4 year college is your major.

Also what the hell is a shinigami? I mean I'am on an anime message board and I don't know what that is. But since your in your teens coming off as unique and pretentious is a must in no matter what you do.
My barren plan to be a better man
Rots in abandoned fields
These idle hands inherit spoiled lands
As the hungry become the pigs
We reap (and) we sow
We mourn who we were
Love what we lost

#5 User is offline   kahad 

• Panel Programming Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 532

Posted 10 December 2007 - 08:24 PM

I went to a community college for two years before coming to SIU.

It was ok.
K-chan (nickname given by ngsilver)
Are YOU on my grilling list??? (Updated 9-26-2008)
Master Chef of the Great Otaku Army and Spam Squad member!!!
AMV Staff ACen 2005-2007, Panel Programming Staff ACen 2008-2012 :)
Maho! - not just a saying, a way of life.

#6 User is offline   XenoBlade 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 9384

Posted 10 December 2007 - 08:50 PM

Like GUTG said, they save money, AND the teachers are a lot more close to the students.
The only thing your missing is the social life (and drama....) of a 4 year.
ACen 2013 Cosplays
Dragon Ball Z-Piccolo
Zero Escape 2: Virtue's Last Reward-Sigma
3rd cosplay:Either Zoro(One Piece),Sazh(Final Fantasy XIII), or Gintoki(Gintama).
"Sometimes I do suspect, I'm an actor in a well scripted live divine comedy..."-Shing02

#7 User is offline   szwrld 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 8938

Posted 10 December 2007 - 10:40 PM

hey i went to Moraine Valley to get my prereqs out of the way so i didn't have to spend a ridiculous amount of money. I took the same classes that my friends who were spending thousands upon thousands of dollars were taking.
And i met some pretty cool people - one in general is amazing.
Community Colleges get a bad rep. They're actually pretty good.

#8 User is offline   Kankokujin 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 11262

Posted 10 December 2007 - 11:33 PM

I spent 2-3 years at Oakton Community College. Now I attend Columbia College in downtown. I am definitely meeting more people now but still I wish I enjoyed my time at Oakton while it lasted. Looking back, it was a lot easier and it was nice to go to a school that's so close to your neighborhood.
えっ?これが読める?すごい!
그럼, 이걸 읽을수있나?

#9 User is offline   Neonraver247 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 9839

Posted 11 December 2007 - 12:12 AM

lol, I guess I have the opposite problem you do. I went to a community college for a 1 & 1/2 (I think) and then we had to move. All my friends were back in the community college in Illinios and I got stuck in Wisconsin.

I agree that CC gets a bad rap. I loved the fact that I could go home everynight and that there were so many different people there. I go to a UW now, and it seems like everyone is the same. Our Anime Club is lame; I never go b/c we never do anything fun and they're way to spastic (yes, even for Anime people!). I do wish I could have spent more time at my 2 year. It was way cheaper and alot more fun. I don't enjoy drinking and sitting around with a bunch of people I don't like, which I think is my school's favorite past time, lol. If you're at a CC, try to enjoy the perks, like not having to live in a filthy dorm and share a bathroom with like, 20 other people.
ACEN 2010:
Friday: Lolita w/ dolls in tow
Saturday: Vergil (DMC)
Sunday: Idk... Vergil or lolita. Whichever one I feel is less work lol.

#10 User is offline   kahad 

• Panel Programming Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 532

Posted 11 December 2007 - 01:24 AM

View PostXenoBlade, on Dec 10 2007, 08:50 PM, said:

The only thing your missing is the social life of a 4 year.

Which, depending upon your major, may not even exist.

So says the Computer Science major.
K-chan (nickname given by ngsilver)
Are YOU on my grilling list??? (Updated 9-26-2008)
Master Chef of the Great Otaku Army and Spam Squad member!!!
AMV Staff ACen 2005-2007, Panel Programming Staff ACen 2008-2012 :)
Maho! - not just a saying, a way of life.

#11 User is offline   vo. 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 10565

Posted 11 December 2007 - 07:31 AM

View Postaudaciouska241, on Dec 10 2007, 05:12 PM, said:

I'm just curious to see how many of you out there are like me and had alllll of your little buddies go off to their big bad universities while you're stuck at your local community college. And the people there wouldn't know what a shinigami was if it bit them on the nose.

Who feels the love?

yeah my friend went to IVY tech and now is stuck because its not as "ACREDITED" as every one made it seem
Visit My cosplay.com profile
vo. of Naked Dragon Blood
cosplaying KENZI from ÍNTI FEMINISM
JACC click here for the ACen credited link
former treasurer[2004-2006]Vice presedent[2005-2007] advisor [2007 - present]

#12 User is offline   sailorgaia 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 3856

Posted 11 December 2007 - 08:52 AM

I really loved the Community College I went to. I saved oodles of money, got my Associates, established a stellar GPA, and went on to University to graduate Summa Cum Laude. I know it was those two years at the community college that grounded me and gave me confidence in my ability, where High School had completely disillusioned me and made me feel actually stupid. Plus, they just had *good* teachers who cared about how you were doing and engaging material. Parkland College in Champaign is a good school, not just a crummy community college. Needless to say, I have more fond memories from those years than the time I spent gaining my degree, having sh*tty dorm roommates, dealing with girl drama from being around too many stupid women all the time, bending over backward in school activities I felt half-hearted about. What a pain.
"I like it when you clap for me, Ultros. I can just close my eyes and imagine that four people are clapping for me at once!"
Locke, the Hand of God

#13 User is offline   jackspicer 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 3522

Posted 11 December 2007 - 08:56 AM

View PostGiveUpTheGhost, on Dec 11 2007, 12:23 AM, said:

Hey you save money on your pre-req's why pay large university prices for college freshman english, speech, algebra, Ect. The only classes you should worry about getting from your 4 year college is your major.

Also what the hell is a shinigami? I mean I'am on an anime message board and I don't know what that is. But since your in your teens coming off as unique and pretentious is a must in no matter what you do.

Shinigami= Death god (its the japanese version of death, like our Grim reaper)
Proud member of the Bishe Brigade

#14 User is offline   Imaurel 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 16336

Posted 11 December 2007 - 09:02 AM

I'm planning to go straight to columbia but if something happens or I change my mind I might do what my sister is and go to a community college for my associates before going for my major in Columbia.
:~~~~~Galleries~~~~~:
www.damiset.deviantart.com
www.mangabullet.com/imaurel/profile
imaurel.webs.com
:~~~~~Joined~~~~~:
Pocky Brigade - Pocky Sabotuer
Spam Squad Member!
:~~~~~ACEN Exhibit Hall Staffer - Year 1~~~~~:

#15 User is offline   TekoMuto 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 7072

Posted 11 December 2007 - 11:06 AM

PSC is infested with narutards who are just discovering deathnote. it's fun to shake em up with cosplays, last christmas time me and knives went in our trigun cosplays and some dude thought knives was a power ranger. I have never saw that guy again after that night. it's like he just dissappeared offa the face of the earth.
i've stopped posting links in my siggy due to degradation of the internet 5/23/12

#16 User is offline   this_chick25 

• Registration Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderator
  • Member No.: 7489

Posted 11 December 2007 - 11:10 AM

Ya know... I've never seen Knives in "Stealth kill mode", but he probably was right about then...
Acen Attendee since 2001
Wondering how much to save for ACen? Click here!
FREE! Cosplay construction and materials advice--get yours now!
Never cause more mischief than that which is necessary for success.
Sig invade'd'd'd'd'd'd'd'd'd by Alk <3

#17 User is offline   TekoMuto 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 December 2007 - 11:14 AM

View Postthis_chick25, on Dec 11 2007, 05:10 PM, said:

Ya know... I've never seen Knives in "Stealth kill mode", but he probably was right about then...

knives addmitted to nothing, knives did nothing, knives is NOT a possible suspect
>:3teehee
i've stopped posting links in my siggy due to degradation of the internet 5/23/12

#18 User is offline   XenoBlade 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 9384

Posted 11 December 2007 - 11:28 AM

View PostTekoMuto, on Dec 11 2007, 11:06 AM, said:

PSC is infested with narutards who are just discovering deathnote. it's fun to shake em up with cosplays, last christmas time me and knives went in our trigun cosplays and some dude thought knives was a power ranger. I have never saw that guy again after that night. it's like he just dissappeared offa the face of the earth.

Wow that guy was behind the times. Maybe somehow some sort of time distortion ended his life for him. Before Knives did.
ACen 2013 Cosplays
Dragon Ball Z-Piccolo
Zero Escape 2: Virtue's Last Reward-Sigma
3rd cosplay:Either Zoro(One Piece),Sazh(Final Fantasy XIII), or Gintoki(Gintama).
"Sometimes I do suspect, I'm an actor in a well scripted live divine comedy..."-Shing02

#19 User is offline   TekoMuto 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 December 2007 - 11:42 AM

View PostXenoBlade, on Dec 11 2007, 05:28 PM, said:

Wow that guy was behind the times. Maybe somehow some sort of time distortion ended his life for him. Before Knives did.

maybe, there have been places at PSC where time is affected by gravity at a greater rate than usual (which means it's slower). specifially in the classrooms

#20 User is offline   this_chick25 

• Registration Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 7489

Posted 11 December 2007 - 11:45 AM

I'm slightly outside of time, and I don't believe in gravity.
Acen Attendee since 2001
Wondering how much to save for ACen? Click here!
FREE! Cosplay construction and materials advice--get yours now!
Never cause more mischief than that which is necessary for success.
Sig invade'd'd'd'd'd'd'd'd'd by Alk <3

#21 User is offline   TekoMuto 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 December 2007 - 12:17 PM

View Postthis_chick25, on Dec 11 2007, 05:45 PM, said:

I'm slightly outside of time, and I don't believe in gravity.

*floats around*

#22 User is offline   excel excel 

• Panel Programming <3
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 1495

Posted 11 December 2007 - 12:38 PM

Stop floating!

::attatches a 50 ton weight to his ankles::
ACen 2013 Cosplay Plans:
MST3k Mike Nelson & Crow-Friday
Team Fortress 2 Medic-Saturday

#23 User is offline   Jello 

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 3087

Posted 11 December 2007 - 01:09 PM

I personally didnt care for my time at WCC.... I didnt really talk to anyone.. i merely just showed up for class (well the few i actually did go to) in some strange way i kinda wish i had gone off to the big 4 year university... that had been my goal all throughout highschool was to go somewhere far far far far away from here... but when the time came... i procrastinated just a bit and got stuck going to WCC.... and eventually dropped out... i really really need to go back :-(

ACen Registration Staff 2006-2009, 2012-2013
Assistant Department Head of Registration 2010 - 2011
Youmacon VAT Staff 2008-2012

#24 User is offline   Mock-Kappa 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 3036
  • Location:A branch of the Miskatonic University in Sugar Grove, IL.

Posted 11 December 2007 - 04:50 PM

Plus I forgot to mention that Community college is where I first ran into Aquatuis, Goddess Astra, and Yoji Kudou. I sorry to say this Jello. But I know you went to WCC the same time I did. But I don't recall every running into you on campus. My first memory of running into you was at Acen'04.
Speaking of cosplayers at WCC, can anyone remeber the name/Or where abouts of the female Nicholas Wolfwood crossplayer that went to WCC and has turned up at Acen in the past years.
I don't walk to the beat of a different drummer, I have a whole band including bagpipes.
Undisputed King of the ACen Kaiju Fans. Eater of Spam.
General of the Men's Pocky Garrison
"There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'. " -Dave Barry-
Santa is watching you.
Con outlook for 2014: Karoshi-con 2014, C2E2, ACen 2014, Anime Midwest 2014 (staff), G-Fest XXI, and Con Alt Delete?(staff)
ACen Cosplay outlook 14: Gummy The Alligator (MLP), End of Days Santa, Dr. Hiriluk (One Piece)-Hopefully-, Professor Birch (Pokemon), Woodney ( Black Cat)-Possibly-.

#25 User is offline   sentinel28a 

• Mad Irishman
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 1435

Posted 11 December 2007 - 10:43 PM

I remember a female Vash crossplayer and her husband, who played Wolfwood. They made out at ACen '03 and freaked everyone out who thought it was two guys.

I teach at a community college. Money isn't as good as a 4-year and the cirriculum is limited, but I do like the family atmosphere (you know everyone on staff) and I've gotten to know some of the students personally--which is more than you can really do in a 40-person class. (I've taught those too, as a TA.)

I went to both a community/Catholic college and a state 4-year. The latter was more fun, but I think I learned more at the former. The teachers were also better--less interested in pushing an agenda and more interested in teaching the facts.

Ben Da Mad Irishman
"Hope I do the same"
See my art. Love it. Hug it. http://sentinel28a.d...art.com/gallery
Read my fanfiction. NOW. You'll thank me later.
First Place, Yahoo ACen League, 2006
First Place, NFL.com Otaku Amefuto League, 2012

Those who stand for nothing will fall for anything.
BEAR CAV!

#26 User is offline   Jello 

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 3087

Posted 11 December 2007 - 11:59 PM

View PostMock-Kappa, on Dec 11 2007, 10:50 PM, said:

Plus I forgot to mention that Community college is where I first ran into Aquatuis, Goddess Astra, and Yoji Kudou. I sorry to say this Jello. But I know you went to WCC the same time I did. But I don't recall every running into you on campus. My first memory of running into you was at Acen'04.
Speaking of cosplayers at WCC, can anyone remeber the name/Or where abouts of the female Nicholas Wolfwood crossplayer that went to WCC and has turned up at Acen in the past years.

no reason to be sorry... because i never ran into you at WCC... i met you the first time at ACen 04 :-D

ACen Registration Staff 2006-2009, 2012-2013
Assistant Department Head of Registration 2010 - 2011
Youmacon VAT Staff 2008-2012

#27 User is offline   slrphebos 

• Customer Service Staff
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 974

Posted 14 December 2007 - 11:04 PM

I actually went from University to a CC and that sucked. Going from having non-stop things to do, to a dinky CC that has next to nothing to do, clubs that barely have any members (minus the anime club), and a student union that is outright sad. Not to mention at a CC you still got the stupid high school clicks going on and some forgetting they are even in college. I was happy to get in and get out with a degree within a year.
~Ri-chan
ACen 2013: Customer Service

2013 Cosplay: Team Aqua Grunt (100%), Dressy Steampunk Lady (50%), Fluttershy Sweet Lolita (95%)

#28 User is offline   qwak 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 16488

Posted 14 December 2007 - 11:19 PM

View Postaudaciouska241, on Dec 11 2007, 07:12 AM, said:

Who feels the love?

what the hell is a shinigami?
no more signatures!

#29 User is offline   GiveUpTheGhost 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 3441

Posted 17 December 2007 - 07:20 PM

ahahahah I was in the same boat also buddy! Jack said it is a death god.
My barren plan to be a better man
Rots in abandoned fields
These idle hands inherit spoiled lands
As the hungry become the pigs
We reap (and) we sow
We mourn who we were
Love what we lost

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users