Anime Central Forums: Cosplay: Katanas? - Anime Central Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Cosplay: Katanas? (obviously, metal out of the question)

#1 User is offline   TanukiMario 

• Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 16365

Posted 04 December 2007 - 01:24 AM

Okay, so for ACen, part of my costume is a katana which would be tied to my waist. Obviously, metal katanas aren't allowed, so I was wondering if it's possible to bring a real katana WITHOUT the blade? I can easily take a katana, dissassemble it, remove the blade, and even then, the katana would look very much real. Do you think this would be allowed? I'm unsure if it would because it still LOOKS like the real thing, just without a blade inside the saya (sheath).

If it's probably not a good idea to do something like that, are bokkens or wooden katanas (within length regulations) okay?

#2 User is offline   Amazing_Joe 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 5443

Posted 04 December 2007 - 02:00 AM

I know for a fact that Bokken and shinai are okay, but for the disassembled katana you'd have to ask acen staff. they'd probably be okay with it, but don't quote me on that. The last few years when I saw live steel weapons, they were usually peacebound with zip-ties. Hope this gets to you in time, or is it a year too late? :unsure:
"There is a pleasure in being mad, which none but madmen know" - Dryden

#3 Guest_ToxicQuiddity_*

• Group: Guests*
  • Member No.:

Posted 04 December 2007 - 07:43 AM

Im almost positive that would be ok.
As long as it doesn't exceed the length limit then I really don't see them having a problem with it.
I know someone who did something similar
(:

#4 User is offline   TanukiMario 

• Pip

Posted 04 December 2007 - 04:31 PM

The only thing though is that there might be security guards going "That kid has a real katana!", and even if I can prove that there's no blade, it would draw some negative attention on me...

#5 Guest_ToxicQuiddity_*

• Group: Guests*
  • Member No.:

Posted 05 December 2007 - 11:25 AM

View PostTanukiMario, on Dec 4 2007, 05:31 PM, said:

The only thing though is that there might be security guards going "That kid has a real katana!", and even if I can prove that there's no blade, it would draw some negative attention on me...

I wouldn't worry about that, the security gaurds are very polite and quiet.
The most they would do is make you show them that it's within the rules
^___^

My friend got stopped because of his staff, but it was all good and well.

#6 User is offline   TheRabbi 

• IRT ADH
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Assistant Department Head
  • Member No.: 591

Posted 05 December 2007 - 01:38 PM

View PostTanukiMario, on Dec 4 2007, 01:24 AM, said:

Okay, so for ACen, part of my costume is a katana which would be tied to my waist. Obviously, metal katanas aren't allowed, so I was wondering if it's possible to bring a real katana WITHOUT the blade? I can easily take a katana, dissassemble it, remove the blade, and even then, the katana would look very much real. Do you think this would be allowed? I'm unsure if it would because it still LOOKS like the real thing, just without a blade inside the saya (sheath).

If it's probably not a good idea to do something like that, are bokkens or wooden katanas (within length regulations) okay?

It's fine to do the katana without the blade. I'd get it tagged so you aren't stopped every five feet, but it is perfectly fine. The ban is on live steel (note that live steel includes all sorts of metals), not on things that look like they are live steel, or things that once had live steel attached to them.
Eli "Rabbi" Morris-Heft: IRT Assistant Department Head
SecDiv Dispatch 2004, IRT Communications ADH 2005-06, IRT Dispatch Supervisor 2007-2010, IRT Dispatch Commander 2011, IRT ADH 2012-, IT Senior Sysadmin 2007-2011, ACen Clergy, 2004-

"Two-three the count with nobody on / He hit a high fly into the stands / Roundin' third, he was headed for home / It was a brown-eyed handsome man (that won the game) / It was a brown-eyed handsome man." (Brown-Eyed Handsome Man by Chuck Berry)

I <3 People Who <3 IRT!Want to help make IRT even better? Apply next year!

#7 User is offline   TanukiMario 

• Pip

Posted 09 December 2007 - 02:51 AM

What can I do to get it tagged? Can I get some detailed information about that? I was also thinking that even if there were no problems in bringing a bladeless katana, I'd get stopped by every single staffmember at the convention!

#8 User is offline   Alicorn 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 8346

Posted 09 December 2007 - 09:50 PM

Last year you could get it checked out with IRT or at one of the customer service areas - bring it to them and they'll put a tag on it to show it passed the guidelines. If you do that, then if someone stops you (maybe they didn't notice the tag or something), you can just show them that to prove you did get it looked at and it was A-OK :)

#9 User is offline   TanukiMario 

• Pip

Posted 29 March 2008 - 02:23 AM

Okay, i'm bringing back my old topic, but as I was checking around the forum again, I was not aware of the 6" rule. I will have the katana tied to my waist, but what can I do as far as the 6" rule goes? To give a better understanding of what I'm talking about, here's as picture that I found off of Google: http://www.kendo.com.au/IAIDO.gif Obviously if you look, you can tell that the katana is most definitely sticking out more than 6". Any ideas about what I can do?

#10 User is offline   TanukiMario 

• Pip

Posted 04 April 2008 - 01:00 AM

Anyone out there? *hears echos*

#11 User is offline   this_chick25 

• Registration Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderator
  • Member No.: 7489

Posted 04 April 2008 - 06:34 AM

Just tilt it downward so it is more aligned with your leg if you can, and reposition it for pics.
Acen Attendee since 2001
Wondering how much to save for ACen? Click here!
FREE! Cosplay construction and materials advice--get yours now!
Never cause more mischief than that which is necessary for success.
Sig invade'd'd'd'd'd'd'd'd'd by Alk <3

#12 User is offline   Aj-chan 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 6981

Posted 04 April 2008 - 07:38 AM

View PostRiker, on Feb 26 2008, 02:36 AM, said:

At least as of last year, the rules that IRT uses to judge the legality of wooden swords (as well as bokken, foam swords, wooden swords covered in foil, etc. ) are these:

Must be shorter than 4 or broken down into <4 sections.
Must not be sharp enough to be dangerous.
Must be mounted/carried/sheathed vertically (not across shoulders or at an angle).

As long as you are doing all of that you will probably not get hassled.

Disclaimer: I am staff, and I worked for IRT until this year, but I do not speak for IRT in any capacity whatsoever.

^^ This information is as good a clarification as I've found for your question. You should be fine as long as you're not hitting people with it as you walk by.

Warning: I am NOT IRT.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users