Anime Central Forums: Does Any One Here Go To Columbia College? - Anime Central Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Does Any One Here Go To Columbia College?

#1 User is offline   yoru 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 3923

Post icon  Posted 18 November 2007 - 01:58 PM

i go there and wanted to see who eles on the fourms does because i resectly ment like a wave of people who go to CCC and acen so i wnat to know more! if there are any.....
my real name is shelby coffee maybe you know me!
i'm freshmeat. I mean freshman!
Con's for '10: Acen, Youma
Apply to be a model for Khaotic Kouture

Exhibit hall Staffer 2009-2010
WOOT

Convicted Acen Junky

#2 User is offline   szwrld 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 8938

Posted 18 November 2007 - 02:01 PM

i go there but i'm switching schools next semester. Its just not for me.

#3 User is offline   yoru 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 November 2007 - 02:12 PM

really wow why is that?

WOOT

Convicted Acen Junky

#4 User is offline   excel excel 

• Panel Programming <3
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderator
  • Member No.: 1495

Posted 18 November 2007 - 03:21 PM

I am an alumni from Columbia College. I graduated with a degree in graphic design in 2000. It was a fun school!
ACen 2013 Cosplay Plans:
MST3k Mike Nelson & Crow-Friday
Team Fortress 2 Medic-Saturday

#5 User is offline   yoru 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 November 2007 - 03:28 PM

thats cool.
graph design must be tough though hun........?
i'm a theater design student hard but mostly play and work combined.

WOOT

Convicted Acen Junky

#6 User is offline   Lee vs Gaara 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 9411

Posted 18 November 2007 - 04:10 PM

View Postyoru, on Nov 18 2007, 02:12 PM, said:

really wow why is that?

I can't speak for her, but let me just explain why it's really not a great place.....

My god nobody goes there but a bunch of pretentious asshats who think they are hot crap, and think they are going far with their cliched, fake butt art film ideas. They think it's a major film school, despite the fact that there have been very few successful graduates.

Just about everyone there has their lips permanantly glued to Stephen Spielberg's butt. They think classic cinema begins with American Beauty and ends with Schindler's List.

It's overpriced tuition, and the teachers teach at College of DuPage for less money anyway.

A List of bad plots of Colombia College student films I have worked on.

Man wanders around, realizes he's in Purgatory.

Two people realize their love may not last forever, so they kill themselves.

Man and Woman break up. No, really, that's the entire plot of this forty five minute film. It's all the guy bitching about how he screwed everything up.

Something about Transgendered people in front of a black background. I didn't understand it. I read the script, and I didn't understand. I think it was an art film.

Now, again, I don't know crap about any programs beyond the film, and the animation and game design programs, but everyone I've met in those programs is an elitist SOB who will probably end up flipping burgers at the age of thirty. They have the nerve to look down on those with education from another school, despite the fact that we share many of the same professors....

Oh, and the obnoxious anime fandom there! My god! Is there one person in the animation program who doesn't think they can go to Japan and make anime for a living? I mean, for christ's sake! And we have a better animation program at COD anyway....
Jesus died for our sins. And we repay him by Gaybashing, woman hating, and doing everything we can to hold back scientific progress.
www.myspace.com/half_fish

#7 User is offline   Kankokujin 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 11262

Posted 18 November 2007 - 04:18 PM

Hey! I also go to Columbia. I'm an animation major. Maybe I've met some people on this thread that go there? I'm also having difficulty figuring out if the school is meant for me. I knew that this school would be hard but I thought I'd have fun too but I don't. I just get this depressing aura when I'm in campus and I really worry if there will be any work for me. Of course, Columbia won't tell you how many students succeed because they want your tuition. Anime is what made me decide on going to this school to do animated films but ever since I attended, I feel like I'm more of a fan than an artist. Does anyone else feel that way?

To the one above, I know what you mean about the students being stuck up but I personally like those films ideas.
えっ?これが読める?すごい!
그럼, 이걸 읽을수있나?

#8 User is offline   yoru 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 November 2007 - 04:36 PM

geese k you didn't have to do that. to lee vs gaara i love columbia and i have been going there since this summer.
i could never imaging going anywhere but there and to that i have to say its fine you don't like it but you didn't have to dis my school. Becuase of i handful of people who go there might act like that does not mean every one does. and ive never met some one who goes to ccc who acts like that. futher more don't talk for other people becuase you don't not what going on in there life.
i was a film student but changed becuase i love theater more.

maybe the schools not for some people but no one said you have to go there or stay there. alot fo people change schools it normal, but to put down an entire school is wrong and you have gone way too far. think before you tpye my friend. please becuase that was very rude and unwanted.

WOOT

Convicted Acen Junky

#9 User is offline   Kankokujin 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 November 2007 - 05:35 PM

View Postyoru, on Nov 18 2007, 06:36 PM, said:

geese k you didn't have to do that. to lee vs gaara i love columbia and i have been going there since this summer.
i could never imaging going anywhere but there and to that i have to say its fine you don't like it but you didn't have to dis my school. Becuase of i handful of people who go there might act like that does not mean every one does. and ive never met some one who goes to ccc who acts like that. futher more don't talk for other people becuase you don't not what going on in there life.

maybe the schools not for some people but no one said you have to go there or stay there. alot fo people change schools it normal, but to put down an entire school is wrong and you have gone way too far. think before you tpye my friend. please becuase that was very rude and unwanted.
Hey. I didn't mean to insult you or anyone else here.
えっ?これが読める?すごい!
그럼, 이걸 읽을수있나?

#10 User is offline   excel excel 

• Panel Programming <3
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 18 November 2007 - 06:10 PM

View Postyoru, on Nov 18 2007, 04:36 PM, said:

Gaara & Kankokujin, thats not fair to those who go there. Like Yoru said not all of us are like that. My best friend Lua goes to columbia, my sister went there, Animexcel, and a couple of ACen people go there too. To say that about us it like saying that about all of us and thats not being fair to those who go there. So that makes us all elitest @$$hats sobs? Serioulsy as an alumni im deeply offended and hurt by your comment. I had wonderful art teacher who passed away before my graduation who taught me to love the finest arts there. And if not for my love of anime and other kinds of animation, I would have never gone there. Granted I am not a film major but we Had 2 african american directors that attended my school and mad a great film there called Soul Food. I am very proud of them.

That was the beauty of my school. I enjoyed doing B&W photography hands on, making my own images, and I had made a lot of great friends there. You really didnt have to go there with that. Im proud of my school and I would love to go back for my masters someday. We can agree to disagree but that really hurt beacuse that just singles us out. At the time I went it was the only school my mother could afford at the time. Im sure the tuition is high now since I graduated. And, I am NOT flipping burgers. I work in the Graphics Department for the Chicago Board Options Exchange.
ACen 2013 Cosplay Plans:

#11 User is offline   szwrld 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 18 November 2007 - 07:03 PM

Wow didn't mean to start a whole thing there...

The reason I've decided not to go there is partly because of what Gaara said. People in my classes are pretentious and seem to think they are the artsiest people that have ever graced the planet... all I wanted to do was have a good time and make a few comedies.

I'm not knocking anyone who went there. 2 of my cousins have graduated from there as well as my older brother. The people who he met from there are pretty cool, but the people that I have met that go there aren't. Then again, he was in the television department and I was in the film department. I also felt that if I stayed there, I wouldn't get a job. It seemed that all of my professors and teacher's aids and lab room assistants all went there, couldn't get a job so they went into teaching. I may be wrong, but that's what I think. My cousin who graduated from there has a job as a production assistant on Ghost Whisperer but she worked her butt off doing unpaid internships which is something I just can't do. My brother waited a year and a half before he got a part-time job at a post-production firm that treats him like crap and gave him full-time only after about a year of working there. He still doesn't have health insurance.

Main reason why i'm leaving is because I've decided that animation is fun and something I will enjoy doing on the side, but my real passion is academics. I've decided instead to go to St. Xavier University and double major in English and Religious Studies and minor in Women and Gender Studies.

I think everyone has their own opinion of Columbia, but you have to admit even if you go there that there are pretentious asshats that go there.

#12 User is offline   Kankokujin 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 November 2007 - 08:13 PM

I did mention that I'm currently a student there as well. Haven't I? And I wasn't saying that all students at Columbia are jerks. Sorry if it sounded that way. And I'm not saying I advise people not to go to the school. I'm merely saying that I don't know if it's right for me. I think if you guys have the talent and passion for your craft, I think you will do fine.
えっ?これが読める?すごい!
그럼, 이걸 읽을수있나?

#13 User is offline   Lee vs Gaara 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 November 2007 - 08:53 PM

View Postexcel excel, on Nov 18 2007, 06:10 PM, said:

Gaara & Kankokujin, thats not fair to those who go there. Like Yoru said not all of us are like that.

I hate film students. I've been a film student for long enough, worked for them too many times. I hate film students. I speak of the average film student, and despite what you may think, this is what I have seen Colombia to be. Hey, COD is only slightly better... And that's because of Convenience.

It's the same principal as Hating people, but liking a person or several persons.

People in my classes are pretentious and seem to think they are the artsiest people that have ever graced the planet... all I wanted to do was have a good time and make a few comedies.

I'm a comedy guy myself. Of course, extremely dark comedy.

And I could get along with some of these people better if they would simply accept that I don't like the crap they watch and understand the reason, and not think I'm some sort of idiot because I hated American Beauty and Fight Club. I may be arrogant, but I'm no elitist.... You tell me why you disagree with my asessment of a film, I don't think your an idiot (assuming you have a reason, other then I disagree. But that's not a film thing, I simply believe everything needs a justification. But that's a different debate).
Jesus died for our sins. And we repay him by Gaybashing, woman hating, and doing everything we can to hold back scientific progress.

#14 User is offline   yoru 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 November 2007 - 09:05 PM

View PostKankokujin, on Nov 18 2007, 05:35 PM, said:

Hey. I didn't mean to insult you or anyone else here.

you didn't but lee vs gara did.

god i just wnated to see if any one from my school want to hang out..........

how did it get to this........*cries*

View PostLee vs Gaara, on Nov 18 2007, 08:53 PM, said:

I hate film students. I've been a film student for long enough, worked for them too many times. I hate film students. I speak of the average film student, and despite what you may think, this is what I have seen Colombia to be. Hey, COD is only slightly better... And that's because of Convenience.

It's the same principal as Hating people, but liking a person or several persons.
And I could get along with some of these people better if they would simply accept that I don't like the crap they watch and understand the reason, and not think I'm some sort of idiot because I hated American Beauty and Fight Club. I may be arrogant, but I'm no elitist.... You tell me why you disagree with my asessment of a film, I don't think your an idiot (assuming you have a reason, other then I disagree. But that's not a film thing, I simply believe everything needs a justification. But that's a different debate).

i think that why are you a film student if you ahte it. no one is forcing you i hope
any why your thing about that get some help my friend cause yeah ....... you well proved that one for me no need to explain.
or take the blue pill it will make all better
*wwwwwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee**spins around and around*
blue pill make you feel good........

WOOT

Convicted Acen Junky

#15 User is offline   Lee vs Gaara 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 November 2007 - 09:21 PM

View Postyoru, on Nov 18 2007, 09:05 PM, said:

i think that why are you a film student if you ahte it. no one is forcing you i hope

Why else would I be a film student? Shouldn't it be obvious? I like to make movies. Cartoons, too!

any why your thing about that get some help my friend cause yeah ....... you well proved that one for me no need to explain.
or take the blue pill it will make all better
*wwwwwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee**spins around and around*
blue pill make you feel good........

Somebody translate all this for me. None of it makes any sense. I put it through Babelfish and translated it into Russian, and all I got was the world "Coca Cola" over and over again, but I think it has something to do with drug use and how punctuation and capitalization don't matter in this day and age.

#16 User is offline   Kankokujin 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 November 2007 - 09:50 PM

View PostLee vs Gaara, on Nov 18 2007, 11:21 PM, said:

Why else would I be a film student? Shouldn't it be obvious? I like to make movies. Cartoons, too!
Somebody translate all this for me. None of it makes any sense. I put it through Babelfish and translated it into Russian, and all I got was the world "Coca Cola" over and over again, but I think it has something to do with drug use and how punctuation and capitalization don't matter in this day and age.

Whoa no need to be so hostile. It's okay to state your opinion but there is no need to insult people.

By the way Yoru, I'd be happy to hang out with you.
えっ?これが読める?すごい!
그럼, 이걸 읽을수있나?

#17 User is offline   Moogle_21 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 2191

Posted 18 November 2007 - 10:00 PM

I go to Columbia and I'm an Interactive Arts and Media major. I share my major with the video game peeps, so the classes I have with them are great. I can't speak as much for the social side of Columbia because I commute 2 hours to school everyday (which suuuuuucks), but the people that I've run into and talk with in and out of class are awesome. I get a lot of work done on the train though XD. Granted, yes Columbia does have people that are there that feel they're entitled to be there or think that they're better than you, but every college has people like that. People like that don't bother me though, because I got to Columbia the same way they did and I have every right to be there and learn where they do.
Senior Manager of Sales
Anime Central 2011 - 2012

#18 User is offline   yoru 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Post icon  Posted 18 November 2007 - 10:55 PM

View PostKankokujin, on Nov 18 2007, 09:50 PM, said:

Whoa no need to be so hostile. It's okay to state your opinion but there is no need to insult people.

By the way Yoru, I'd be happy to hang out with you.

cool i have to go there for stupid reason tomorrow here i will pm you my phone number

View PostMoogle_21, on Nov 18 2007, 10:00 PM, said:

I go to Columbia and I'm an Interactive Arts and Media major. I share my major with the video game peeps, so the classes I have with them are great. I can't speak as much for the social side of Columbia because I commute 2 hours to school everyday (which suuuuuucks), but the people that I've run into and talk with in and out of class are awesome. I get a lot of work done on the train though XD. Granted, yes Columbia does have people that are there that feel they're entitled to be there or think that they're better than you, but every college has people like that. People like that don't bother me though, because I got to Columbia the same way they did and I have every right to be there and learn where they do.

really i'm in the game lab all the time. i'm the only girl in there lol
thats really cool all but the twoo hours yuck i hate my one hour on the red line........

WOOT

Convicted Acen Junky

#19 User is offline   excel excel 

• Panel Programming <3
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 18 November 2007 - 11:21 PM

You should if they still have it there, attend the game club there. Its at friday nights. Its been years since ive been. But you will run into a couple of acen people there and we use to go out for dinner during closing. What classes are you taking and who are your teachers? They also have some cool event they have in May thats pretty nice. Its a lot of fun and they can be rowdy. You'd be super suprised by the fact that there maybe acen buddies around you! I say be proud of where you are attending and dont let bad things get you down. Youre in a nice school with very good teachers there and we have some pretty cool events happening in the summer. I wish I could have done the semester in Florence, but I couldnt. The wabash building is where we usually like to hang out and we have some nice restaurants there. The thai one is nice.
ACen 2013 Cosplay Plans:

#20 User is offline   Lee vs Gaara 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 November 2007 - 06:41 AM

I haven't gone to game club in ages... Should probably go back eventually, but I got too much stuff to do every week....

#21 User is offline   omni 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 5659

Posted 19 November 2007 - 10:19 AM

my brother in law goes there. He is also freshmeat...I mean freshman.

Whenever we get up to Chicago, we always visit him. So next time, I will visit you too!
Acen 2011 cosplays

Hungary: Hetalia
Fairy Tail
One Piece

#22 User is offline   yoru 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Post icon  Posted 19 November 2007 - 10:44 AM

View Postexcel excel, on Nov 18 2007, 11:21 PM, said:

You should if they still have it there, attend the game club there. Its at friday nights. Its been years since ive been. But you will run into a couple of acen people there and we use to go out for dinner during closing. What classes are you taking and who are your teachers? They also have some cool event they have in May thats pretty nice. Its a lot of fun and they can be rowdy. You'd be super suprised by the fact that there maybe acen buddies around you! I say be proud of where you are attending and dont let bad things get you down. Youre in a nice school with very good teachers there and we have some pretty cool events happening in the summer. I wish I could have done the semester in Florence, but I couldnt. The wabash building is where we usually like to hang out and we have some nice restaurants there. The thai one is nice.

yeah i go to game club and anime club there but most of the people wh go aren't on the froums
yeah right now i'm taking japanese 2, writing and rhe one, crime lad chemsitry, and college math next semester i will be talking all theater casses hopefully. yeah i knkow aboutmanifest but its always the same day as acen so this year i will not be going. yeah i have not been in the thai restaurant there yet but i will soon. i though it might not be to good so a staye away frome it. anyway i'm on my way down town tak to you all later.

View Postomnichild, on Nov 19 2007, 10:19 AM, said:

my brother in law goes there. He is also freshmeat...I mean freshman.

Whenever we get up to Chicago, we always visit him. So next time, I will visit you too!

really who is your brother in law i might know hm maybe.....probally not lol

WOOT

Convicted Acen Junky

#23 User is offline   omni 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 5659

Posted 19 November 2007 - 10:45 AM

He is a journalism major...so unless you know any journalism majors you probably don't know him. XD

His name is Josh.
Acen 2011 cosplays

Hungary: Hetalia
Fairy Tail
One Piece

#24 User is offline   yoru 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 November 2007 - 10:59 AM

View Postomnichild, on Nov 19 2007, 10:45 AM, said:

He is a journalism major...so unless you know any journalism majors you probably don't know him. XD

His name is Josh.

yeha i don't think i know him...... i know a guy named josh who goes there tho.
who know wo might meet each other one day.

WOOT

Convicted Acen Junky

#25 User is offline   Moogle_21 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 2191

Posted 19 November 2007 - 01:16 PM

View Postyoru, on Nov 18 2007, 10:55 PM, said:

really i'm in the game lab all the time. i'm the only girl in there lol
thats really cool all but the twoo hours yuck i hate my one hour on the red line........

I love how they explained the game labs on our tour of the IAM labs. "This is where we RESEARCH games!" There are other girls in the game major though that are full of awesome sauce ^^. One is bringing me muffins because she loves me ^^. The two hour commute sucks, but I get to play a lot of my video games that I'm behind in.
Senior Manager of Sales
Anime Central 2011 - 2012

#26 User is offline   szwrld 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 19 November 2007 - 01:31 PM

View PostLee vs Gaara, on Nov 19 2007, 02:53 AM, said:

Yeah! These people in some of my classes were all about the artsiest films possible and how it was so groundbreaking... i'm just sitting there like... its a movie about a boat... and then of course comes the "you just don't get it"s

#27 User is offline   Lee vs Gaara 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 November 2007 - 05:06 PM

View Postszwrld, on Nov 19 2007, 01:31 PM, said:

Yeah! These people in some of my classes were all about the artsiest films possible and how it was so groundbreaking... i'm just sitting there like... its a movie about a boat... and then of course comes the "you just don't get it"s

Whats worse is when they act that way about something that is not artsy. I was explaining the concept of "The Movie Orgy" to the class.

"The Movie Orgy" was Joe Dante's first film. It was after seeing that the Roger Corman decided to give him a job editing trailers. Well, the movie orgy is several hours long and is nothing but well timed weird and obscure movie clips (think AMV hell, but without new sound... Just clips, but timed and planned out differently). Somebody compared it to some expressionist art film. He just went on to talk about how moving something like this was.

"No, actually, it's not an art film. It's a joke. You sit there with a few beers, and laugh at it, with it, and about it. It's supposed to be just idiotic fun."

The worst is explaining how "Shawshank Redemption" makes a conclusive statement at the end, and then goes back on in the final shot, and how that sort of destroys the entire monolog before hand as well as pretty much pulls the keystone out of the arch that is story structure.

#28 User is offline   yoru 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Post icon  Posted 19 November 2007 - 07:26 PM

View PostMoogle_21, on Nov 19 2007, 01:16 PM, said:

I love how they explained the game labs on our tour of the IAM labs. "This is where we RESEARCH games!" There are other girls in the game major though that are full of awesome sauce ^^. One is bringing me muffins because she loves me ^^. The two hour commute sucks, but I get to play a lot of my video games that I'm behind in.

ha i should do that wiht my psp. but yah when ever i go into the game lab it like i'm the only girl ever who goes there becuase she watns to not just becuase her boyfriend is there. (by the way my boy friend is not an iam mayor. he actully in gaum right now)

WOOT

Convicted Acen Junky

#29 User is offline   stalking_sorrow 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Purge for Inactivity
  • Member No.: 8482

Posted 19 November 2007 - 08:36 PM

YAY COLUMBIA PEEPS!!

I am an Video game design major focusing on animation^^
I like columbia but tuition is too high.
I have made some pretty cool friends here and I love spending every waking moment with them^^
ACEN 2006-
Black and white Lolita with black angel wings

ACEN 2007-
Original J-Rock cosplay
Gothic Lolita
Hinata Hyuuga from Naruto

ACEN 2008-
Hinata Hyuuga from Naruto 100% YATTA!
9th Division vice captain Hisagi Shuuhei from Bleach 100%
Kisaki of Phantasmagoria 100% Prepare For A Hot Guy In A Dress!
Rei of Lullaby Dementia (original J-rock cosplay)100%

ACEN 2009-
kisaki of Phantasmagoria (already complete^^)
Crystal Rei of Lullaby Dementia (original J-rock cosplay) 0%
Suigintou from Rozen Maiden

Proud member of the SOS

#30 User is offline   Animexcel 

• Production Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 80

Posted 19 November 2007 - 08:54 PM

Yeah, I went to Columbia, then graduated in '03. I was the anime club president there for 3 years and I made so many friends and memories.
ACen Mascot Artist

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users