• This topic is locked

The "new" Star Trek Movie See it or Skip It

#1 User is offline   Femme Fatale 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 7220

Posted 09 November 2007 - 08:41 PM

If you are sitting under a rock or if you've already known, there will be a Star Trek movie that will chronicle the early years of young Capt. Kirk and his young crew. It will be made by the guy who brought you "Lost" "Mission Impossible: III" and the mysterious "Cloverfield", J.J. Abrams. What has impressed me so far is the cast that will bring Jim and crew back to the silver screen, but young of course. They are: Chris Pine (Captain James T. Kirk), Zachary Quinto (Spock), Karl Urban (Dr. Leonard "Bones" McCoy), Zoe Saldana (Uhura), John Cho (Sulu), Anton Yelchin (Chekov) and Simon Pegg (Scotty). The villain "Nero", a Romulan will be played by Eric Bana. And just added on... Bruce Greenwood as Christopher Pike, the first captain of the USS Enterprise and Winona Ryder as Amanda, Spock's Earth mother. I'll definately be in line for this one. So what do you think?
Excel's Big Sis

Coming Soon to ACen 2015

Celestia Ludenberg (Dangan Ronpa)

#2 User is offline   sentinel28a 

• Mad Irishman
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 1435

Posted 09 November 2007 - 11:14 PM

View PostFemme Fatale, on Nov 10 2007, 02:41 AM, said:

If you are sitting under a rock or if you've already known, there will be a Star Trek movie that will chronicle the early years of young Capt. Kirk and his young crew. It will be made by the guy who brought you "Lost" "Mission Impossible: III" and the mysterious "Cloverfield", J.J. Abrams. What has impressed me so far is the cast that will bring Jim and crew back to the silver screen, but young of course. They are: Chris Pine (Captain James T. Kirk), Zachary Quinto (Spock), Karl Urban (Dr. Leonard "Bones" McCoy), Zoe Saldana (Uhura), John Cho (Sulu), Anton Yelchin (Chekov) and Simon Pegg (Scotty). The villain "Nero", a Romulan will be played by Eric Bana. And just added on... Bruce Greenwood as Christopher Pike, the first captain of the USS Enterprise and Winona Ryder as Amanda, Spock's Earth mother. I'll definately be in line for this one. So what do you think?

Hell yes.

I sat up way too late and watched Star Trek the Motion Picture, "Trials and Tribble-lations" (the crossover DS9 episode with the original series), and even an episode of the crappy 1970s animated series on YouTube last night. I guess that makes me a Trekkie.

Ben Da Mad Irishman
"Trekkie Monster"
See my art. Love it. Hug it. http://sentinel28a.d...art.com/gallery
Read my fanfiction. NOW. You'll thank me later.
First Place, Yahoo ACen League, 2006
First Place, NFL.com Otaku Amefuto League, 2012

Those who stand for nothing will fall for anything.
BEAR CAV!

#3 User is offline   KnitChick 

• ACen Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 9629

Posted 09 November 2007 - 11:28 PM

Well lessee I've got most of the original series on tape, all the classic movies on VHS and much of it on DVD, the Animated series on DVD (though I haven't had a chance to watch it all), and I even have a DVD of "Hick Trek".

Yes, I am a Treknologist, and proud of it.

I'm looking forward to this movie, though I hope they treat it with respect. This could be a wonderful exploration of the details of the lives of the classic crew, but if not treated with respect it could make Star Trek V look like a candidate for an Oscar. *shudder*

We should get a meetup together to go see this when it comes out :)

With that said I go back to my novel (which just so happens to be on board the original Enterprise at the moment ;) )
Special Needs and Compliance DH for Acen! Come see us in the Hyatt Grand Boardroom!!
Acen 2014: 50s Sailor Mercury, Agent Simmons from S.H.I.E.L.D., Kim Possible, Ghostbuster, frazzled DH
Youmacon 2014: (tentative) Captain Marvelous, Agent Simmons?, Ace from Doctor Who?
Chicago TARDIS 2014: (tentative) Fourth Doctor, Ace

Member of Team GEEK for the Norridge/Harwood Heights Relay for Life! Please join us or donate!
Ninja on the Glomp Team! Member of the Crossplay Alliance! / My blog / My pictures! (Flickr)
Resident Ghostbusters, Doctor Who, Firefly, Quantum Leap, Transformers, Harry Potter, Highlander, Girl Genius, Super Sentai and Nerima Daikon Brothers obsessor!

#4 User is offline   sentinel28a 

• Mad Irishman
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 November 2007 - 11:39 PM

View PostKnitChick, on Nov 10 2007, 05:28 AM, said:

With that said I go back to my novel (which just so happens to be on board the original Enterprise at the moment ;) )

Which one? I just finished "The Lost Years." <_< Not that good.

"Uhura's Song" is by far the best.

Ben Da Mad Irishman
"Total geekfest"

BEAR CAV!

#5 User is offline   KnitChick 

• ACen Staff
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 10 November 2007 - 12:02 AM

Naw, not a published one (I wish), my NaNoWriMo novel ;) Right now the Doctor, Danny Phantom, my OC, and Spock are down planet trying to figure out how these two scientists contracted Ecto Acne.

I quite enjoyed "The Lost Years", but my favorite has to be "Doctor's Orders". Gotta love McCoy shooting his mouth off and getting it back from Jim :D
Special Needs and Compliance DH for Acen! Come see us in the Hyatt Grand Boardroom!!
Acen 2014: 50s Sailor Mercury, Agent Simmons from S.H.I.E.L.D., Kim Possible, Ghostbuster, frazzled DH
Youmacon 2014: (tentative) Captain Marvelous, Agent Simmons?, Ace from Doctor Who?

Member of Team GEEK for the Norridge/Harwood Heights Relay for Life! Please join us or donate!
Ninja on the Glomp Team! Member of the Crossplay Alliance! / My blog / My pictures! (Flickr)
Resident Ghostbusters, Doctor Who, Firefly, Quantum Leap, Transformers, Harry Potter, Highlander, Girl Genius, Super Sentai and Nerima Daikon Brothers obsessor!

#6 User is offline   Lee vs Gaara 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 9411

Posted 10 November 2007 - 09:04 AM

Okay, as far as I am concerned, everything Abrams has done has sucked butt... Also, he has his name all over that Cloverfield thing, and Cloverfield has an advertising campaign based on "We won't tell you anything". Which, if we remember how the American Godzilla movie was advertised the same way, it means they don't have anything.

Abrams is an Action director. And despite what many trek fans these days think, Star Trek is NOT an action series. End of story. He can't do it. The writers? Action writers. The Story? Time Travel. Time Travel in Star Trek is fifty fifty with me. For every "Star Trek IV" or "Yesterday's Enterprise", we have crap like the series finale of Voyager.

Star Trek: The Animated Series, for those who haven't watched it, is better then the original series in my opinion. Because of the low budget animation, they had to make the show a bit more dialog heavy.... Which in the end helped the show become more plot heavy, reusing the animation. For christ's sake, they had an episode where they had to defend the Devil in a court of law. Damn good watching.

Anyway, I have a bit of hope for this movie. The cast is Phenominal. Of course, a Romulan bad guy? They don't have direct contact with the Romulans until "Balance of Terror". And movie going audiences will be pissed if there is no head on confrontation.

Besides, why go back to the "same old villians". That was one thing I didn't like about the otherwise good "First Contact." Every other movie had something new, bold (Wrath of Khan brought back a Villian who was simply a footnote. And that paid off).

Abrams I don't think will capture the ideas behind Trek. Of course, neither did the last three movies, or last three TV shows....

Anyway, I want to write a Next Generation novel where Picard and co run into hive minded aliens who communicate by killing off drones, and have had some unfortunate run ins with humans when they tried to communicate the same way. Of course, then I realized that's kinda (but not too much) like the episode "Silicon Avatar".
Jesus died for our sins. And we repay him by Gaybashing, woman hating, and doing everything we can to hold back scientific progress.
www.myspace.com/half_fish

#7 User is offline   Animexcel 

• Production Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 80

Posted 10 November 2007 - 11:22 AM

Hollywood is still doing origin movies lol
ACen Mascot Artist

#8 User is offline   mendokuse 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 3415

Posted 10 November 2007 - 08:31 PM

I'll give it a shot. I'll miss good ol' Picard though.

#9 User is offline   Dark Stranger 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 7281

Posted 11 November 2007 - 11:43 AM

I don't know about this movie. I'm a star terk fan but I don't know if I'll see it yet.
"It's better to be used then to be useless."
Member of the J-Rock Fan Alliance
cosplay list: Zaraki Kenpachi, Umehito Nekozawa,Sergent Helmeppo, and Time wrap Rossui
Staff at Ikasucon,World Steam, and Youmacon
Part of GUTG's Bear Calvary.
Furture cosplays: Impel Down Mr.3....40% complete

#10 User is offline   szwrld 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 8938

Posted 11 November 2007 - 12:45 PM

i'm seeing it! Sylar is Spock! ^_^

#11 User is offline   Lee vs Gaara 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 November 2007 - 01:18 PM

View Postszwrld, on Nov 11 2007, 06:45 AM, said:

I'm more excited about Harold as Sulu..... And Simon Pegg as Scotty.
Jesus died for our sins. And we repay him by Gaybashing, woman hating, and doing everything we can to hold back scientific progress.

#12 User is offline   szwrld 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 November 2007 - 03:13 PM

dude, i totally didn't know that Simon Pegg was scotty! Double reason to see it.

#13 User is offline   Lee vs Gaara 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 November 2007 - 03:59 PM

View Postszwrld, on Nov 11 2007, 09:13 AM, said:

dude, i totally didn't know that Simon Pegg was scotty! Double reason to see it.

Well, the cast IS amazing. The only major problem I have is the director, and the fact that Matt Damon isn't play Kirk as originally rumored.

#14 User is offline   szwrld 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 November 2007 - 10:38 PM

View PostLee vs Gaara, on Nov 11 2007, 09:59 PM, said:

Well, the cast IS amazing. The only major problem I have is the director, and the fact that Matt Damon isn't play Kirk as originally rumored.

i've never seen him actually direct something (except apparently one episode of the office...) so I can't say anything on his directing ability. Based on the cast, however, I will see it.

#15 User is offline   Femme Fatale 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 12 November 2007 - 09:20 PM

View Postszwrld, on Nov 11 2007, 06:45 PM, said:

Speaking of...http://www.firstshowing.net/2007/11/12/its-spock-first-photos-of-zach-quinto-as-spock-in-star-trek/

Check out Mr. Quinto as Spock.
Excel's Big Sis

Coming Soon to ACen 2015

#16 User is offline   KnitChick 

• ACen Staff
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 13 November 2007 - 12:28 AM

Neat! Thanks for that link, that was great to see! :)

#17 User is offline   szwrld 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 14 November 2007 - 01:10 PM

View PostFemme Fatale, on Nov 13 2007, 03:20 AM, said:

Speaking of...http://www.firstshowing.net/2007/11/12/its-spock-first-photos-of-zach-quinto-as-spock-in-star-trek/

Check out Mr. Quinto as Spock.

oh that's awesome! ^_^!

#18 User is offline   Femme Fatale 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 14 November 2007 - 08:49 PM

More added....

Clifton Curtis Jr. will play the villain's (Eric Bana) right hand man and some unknown actor will play Kirk's dad.
Excel's Big Sis

Coming Soon to ACen 2015

#19 User is offline   sentinel28a 

• Mad Irishman
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 15 November 2007 - 07:44 PM

View PostFemme Fatale, on Nov 15 2007, 02:49 AM, said:

More added....

Clifton Curtis Jr. will play the villain's (Eric Bana) right hand man and some unknown actor will play Kirk's dad.

It would be interesting if Bill Shatner played Kirk's dad, and they kept it quiet until the movie comes out. I would love to see Shatner in the new Star Trek somewhere.

OT, but I was surfing www.agonybooth.com and apparently Gary Oldman did a cameo in Godzilla, as one of Jean Reno's men. Granted, that would be about the only reason to watch that steaming pile of crap.

Ben Da Mad Irishman
"Not even Jean Reno can save you now"

BEAR CAV!

#20 User is offline   vo. 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 10565

Posted 16 November 2007 - 10:05 AM

View PostFemme Fatale, on Nov 9 2007, 09:41 PM, said:

SEE IT,SEE IT,SEE IT,SEE IT,SEE IT,SEE IT,SEE IT,SEE IT,SEE IT,SEE IT,SEE IT,SEE IT,SEE IT,SEE IT,SEE IT,SEE IT,SEE IT,
Visit My cosplay.com profile
vo. of Naked Dragon Blood
cosplaying KENZI from ÍNTI FEMINISM
JACC click here for the ACen credited link
former treasurer[2004-2006]Vice presedent[2005-2007] advisor [2007 - present]

#21 User is offline   Professor_Hojo @_@ 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 10054

Posted 16 November 2007 - 01:10 PM

I will have to go see this...any one know when this is supposed to come out?
ACen '12 Cosplays!!: ??????????????????

Visit me on Facebook! Tumblr! Twitter! DeviantArt!

#22 User is offline   sentinel28a 

• Mad Irishman
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 16 November 2007 - 06:31 PM

View PostProfessor_Hojo @_@, on Nov 16 2007, 07:10 PM, said:

I will have to go see this...any one know when this is supposed to come out?

Christmas...

...of 2008.

Ben Da Mad Irishman
"Growf"

BEAR CAV!

#23 User is offline   Femme Fatale 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 16 November 2007 - 09:53 PM

Leonard Nimoy recently answered Bill Shatner's complaint as to why he wasn't in the new Star Trek. Simply put he said, "He was killed off three movies ago".
Excel's Big Sis

Coming Soon to ACen 2015

#24 User is offline   sentinel28a 

• Mad Irishman
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 19 November 2007 - 01:08 AM

View PostFemme Fatale, on Nov 17 2007, 03:53 AM, said:

Leonard Nimoy recently answered Bill Shatner's complaint as to why he wasn't in the new Star Trek. Simply put he said, "He was killed off three movies ago".

Considering that Kirk is killed something like five decades (in real time; counting being stuck in the pocket universe, more like eleven or twelve decades) in the future from when this movie is supposed to take place, that was kinda low for Nimoy. Given that he and Shatner are supposed to be pretty good friends, though, it was probably a joke.

I just read an interview with George Takei, however. Apparently the remaining TOS cast are still pretty close, with the exception of Shatner. Takei can't stand him, and by Shatner's own admission, Nichelle Nichols doesn't think much of him either. I can't help but like the guy myself (though I've never met him; I did briefly run into Takei once), but no question he's got a huge ego, and he's a shameless self-promoter of Kirk.

Ben Da Mad Irishman
"Another guy with a big ego"

BEAR CAV!

#25 User is offline   Lee vs Gaara 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 November 2007 - 06:39 AM

View Postsentinel28a, on Nov 19 2007, 01:08 AM, said:

Considering that Kirk is killed something like five decades (in real time; counting being stuck in the pocket universe, more like eleven or twelve decades) in the future from when this movie is supposed to take place, that was kinda low for Nimoy. Given that he and Shatner are supposed to be pretty good friends, though, it was probably a joke.

I just read an interview with George Takei, however. Apparently the remaining TOS cast are still pretty close, with the exception of Shatner. Takei can't stand him, and by Shatner's own admission, Nichelle Nichols doesn't think much of him either. I can't help but like the guy myself (though I've never met him; I did briefly run into Takei once), but no question he's got a huge ego, and he's a shameless self-promoter of Kirk.

Ben Da Mad Irishman
"Another guy with a big ego"

Yeah, the way I've been told it was was Shatner and Nimoy are their own little two man group, and then there is the rest of the cast. An equally close group that hates the other one.

I met George Takei at a Gay Pride Parade.... My friend Ian actually hung out with him for some time a few weeks ago. Takei is a damn good guy. And very, very sexy.

#26 User is offline   Femme Fatale 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 20 November 2007 - 09:19 PM

More casting....Actor Ben Cross (Chariots of Fire) will play Sarek, Spock's Father.
Excel's Big Sis

Coming Soon to ACen 2015

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users