• You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Artist Seeking Suggestions

#1 User is offline   Kitsu-chan 

• 2+2 = 5
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 6190
  • Location:Hiding from my Sewing machine. Shh... Don't tell it I'm under the bed.

Posted 23 August 2007 - 04:29 PM

I'm trying to start drawing my own manga, but I need a little bit of help.
While I do plan to draw what I like, I don't plan on making something that others won't read.

This is where everybody could help me out. I want to know what types of manga/anime people like & what made you want to read/watch it.

Was it a catchy cover that caught you're eye, was it the story, or perhaps it was merely the art style?

In advance, I'm greatful for everybody's help.
Resident Ladyboy of the ACen Forums

Sadly won't be attending ACen 2012. So I'll be taking my cosplay up a notch for 2013.

#2 User is offline   Yuki_perv 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 11555

Post icon  Posted 18 September 2007 - 11:27 AM

i too am tryin to make a manga but i just suck at sequence art.....um i guess what always atches my eye first is the cover art...if it strikes me as new or really interesting i flip through it and read the back for a bit of the story...that and the title sometimes is what catches my eye too
Posted Image

#3 User is online   Animexcel 

• Production Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 80

Posted 19 September 2007 - 12:41 AM

Start with a premise and build it off from inspiration and experiences.

I'm trying to start one too, but I'm finding hard to puzzle it together and knowing what kind of characters and situations can fit together nicely. I should just DO IT >_<
ACen Mascot Artist

#4 User is offline   divine_fanaticy 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 5985

Posted 07 December 2007 - 09:16 PM

i'm working on one myself.

the first thing i notice about an anime or manga is the artwork. it MUST have a style that i like, otherwise i simply CANNOT get into it. totally shallow, i know.
the second thing is usually sexual tension. still shallow. but sex sells. it's true. just ask the billions of yaoi fangirls. O.o
the third thing is action. not necessarily big muscles, shiny effects, or stuff flying action. character movement works, too. but still kinda shallow.
the fourth thing is strong character development and introspection within the context of plot (a.k.a. purposeful "filler"). deeper waters here. this is usually where i drown. when i'm coming up with my own stuff, i'm at a loss when it comes to developing the plot and the characters along with it. but that's what makes a story.

i think what i've got in progress now will be my first success, but who knows. the drawing is probably the best i've ever done, there's shonen-ai AND shojo-ai, motion (not great, but it's there), and a full but compact plot. YAY!

#5 User is offline   Imaurel 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 16336

Posted 09 December 2007 - 05:29 PM

Yeah, artwork is one of the most important things for me. I've been able to forgive some mangas with odd or crappy art for having really good stories but I only picked them up because they were forced on me.
I've noticed I read kinda girly mangas lately. Although I started out incredibly shounen I made the transition. What I think that means for me is I find a love plot incredibly important. Although in some cases, really not necessary.
I like a bit of fantasy with mine too. Only Ai Yazawa has been able to take away the fantasy and still have my love xD
I hardly stand for everybody, though.
It really depends on the demographic you're going for.
As some may have noticed sometimes those into shounens don't pay much attention to the art (not bashing, mind you.)
:~~~~~Galleries~~~~~:
www.damiset.deviantart.com
www.mangabullet.com/imaurel/profile
imaurel.webs.com
:~~~~~Joined~~~~~:
Pocky Brigade - Pocky Sabotuer
Spam Squad Member!
:~~~~~ACEN Exhibit Hall Staffer - Year 1~~~~~:

#6 User is offline   Justine 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 11396

Posted 14 December 2007 - 12:23 PM

First thing is catchy art, then I turn it over to read the back. If it still seems interesting, I get it.

But, hey, Good luck, alright? I'm also in progress with a manga of my own!

~Steen

#7 User is offline   KnitChick 

• ACen Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 9629

Posted 23 December 2007 - 03:39 AM

The premise is usually what hooks me...

I don't remember what got me into Sailor Moon or Cardcaptor Sakura, those were long ago...

Bleach I think I started reading because it's popular and I wanted to know what the deal was. The paranormal aspect, plus Rukia, is what got me hooked.

Ghost Hunt I bought at Acen just cuz of the title. You know how much I'm into ghost stuff ;)

Claymore, same thing. I love those swords (bought one at Acen), but I enjoyed the storyline.

Tsubasa Chronicles I picked up because I like Cardcaptor Sakura and the idea of an AU Sakura intrigued me.

Revolutionary Girl Utena I think caught my eye because of the cover and spine, and I was looking for new manga to try at the library, but then the storyline and the personalities (and the idea that a girl was outfighting the guys) got me hooked.

Gintama I picked up because I read a chapter in Shonen Jump and the character intrigued me. Plus the AU aspect was interesting.

So for me...I tend to go for magical girl genres, anything with ghosts or the paranormal, and AU storylines. The artwork can be substandard if the characters are interesting and the story is well-developed. I just like a good story! :D
Special Needs and Compliance DH for Acen! Come see us in the Hyatt Grand Boardroom!!
Acen 2014: 50s Sailor Mercury, Agent Simmons from S.H.I.E.L.D., Kim Possible, Ghostbuster, frazzled DH
Youmacon 2014: (tentative) Captain Marvelous, Agent Simmons?, Ace from Doctor Who?
Chicago TARDIS 2014: (tentative) Fourth Doctor, Ace

Member of Team GEEK for the Norridge/Harwood Heights Relay for Life! Please join us or donate!
Ninja on the Glomp Team! Member of the Crossplay Alliance! / My blog / My pictures! (Flickr)
Resident Ghostbusters, Doctor Who, Firefly, Quantum Leap, Transformers, Harry Potter, Highlander, Girl Genius, Super Sentai and Nerima Daikon Brothers obsessor!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users