Anime Central Forums: Soapbubble & Underground Groove 2008 - Anime Central Forums

• 12 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Soapbubble & Underground Groove 2008 WHOSE READY TO HAVE FUN

#301 User is offline   Rini 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 17020

Posted 20 May 2008 - 04:05 PM

soap bubble was pretty fun, i didnt really dance; but i liked the music so just chilling was pretty awesome.

Although earlier on in the night when i was attempting to find the friend of mine who had brought me my clothes, i totally got cornered and felt up by some drunk butt.
That pissed me off >:o
<(^_^)> Rewr :3

#302 User is offline   BenedictKenny 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 6906

Posted 20 May 2008 - 05:53 PM

View PostBrazoliange, on May 20 2008, 05:02 PM, said:

Synergy was really good. A better venue (where they don't suddenly close down and cut off DJs) would kind of be good though.

That's more time issues than venue issues though.
I suppose schedule management would be what'd be worked on there.
I hit people while wearing gloves.

#303 User is offline   Fluffy 

• Pip
  • Group: Purge for Inactivity
  • Member No.: 18696

Posted 20 May 2008 - 06:46 PM

MEOW!!!!!!!!!!! anyone have any cool pics or videos of people raving? i was playing around with 2 lightsabers and was wondering if anyone caught any
^_^

#304 User is offline   BenedictKenny 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 20 May 2008 - 06:58 PM

View PostFluffy, on May 20 2008, 07:46 PM, said:

MEOW!!!!!!!!!!! anyone have any cool pics or videos of people raving? i was playing around with 2 lightsabers and was wondering if anyone caught any
^_^

http://www.acen.org/...topic=23161&hl=

#305 User is offline   that1guy64 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 4070

Posted 21 May 2008 - 12:33 AM

I just want to get my 2 cents in here about the Soap Bubble rave.

Firstly, it was AMAZING. One of the single best raves I've ever been to in my life and I am a huge raver. Greg Ayres DJ'd at Anime Iowa last year and I was beyond excited when he started spinning at the Soap Bubble. Him playing Infected Mushroom was indescribable. All of the DJs especially the one that played Drum and Bass after Ayres were awesome. I'm loving all the pictures of the rave and hopefully some people will put up videos :D Please post videos!!!

I'd just like to mention that I didn't show up (or get in) until after 1am and stayed until about 5am when they finished. I was at the very front with 2 blue light sticks raving my butt off. The chick dancing on stage was AMAZING. She totally grinded on me and then when she left, she shook my hand and said it was nice to meet me :D

Anyway, definitely a blast of a rave. Hell, I'd come to ACEN just for the raves they had this year. Un-freaking-believable.
Moderator on http://boards.ign.com
My Anime Collection
I plan on cosplaying as Ranma at ACEN 2005

#306 User is offline   saiyajinimport 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 1441

Posted 21 May 2008 - 01:21 AM

View Postthat1guy64, on May 21 2008, 01:33 AM, said:

I just want to get my 2 cents in here about the Soap Bubble rave.

Firstly, it was AMAZING. One of the single best raves I've ever been to in my life and I am a huge raver. Greg Ayres DJ'd at Anime Iowa last year and I was beyond excited when he started spinning at the Soap Bubble. Him playing Infected Mushroom was indescribable. All of the DJs especially the one that played Drum and Bass after Ayres were awesome. I'm loving all the pictures of the rave and hopefully some people will put up videos :D Please post videos!!!

I'd just like to mention that I didn't show up (or get in) until after 1am and stayed until about 5am when they finished. I was at the very front with 2 blue light sticks raving my butt off. The chick dancing on stage was AMAZING. She totally grinded on me and then when she left, she shook my hand and said it was nice to meet me :D

Anyway, definitely a blast of a rave. Hell, I'd come to ACEN just for the raves they had this year. Un-freaking-believable.

i'm glad you had fun sorry it took so long for you to get into the party that just how it goes man everyone wants to get into the party it just takes awhile sometimes with so many people.

Greg Ayres is one of our resident DJ's he has spun our con for the last few years and he will be back again next year to spin.
Allen Castillo

#307 User is offline   Nameloc 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 7110

Post icon  Posted 21 May 2008 - 09:39 AM

For all you folks that may or may not have caught my set,
I've got two mixes for you.

Guns Up (dubstep)
1.Dopelabs - Destroyer
2.Hektagon - Running Throrugh (Elemental remix)
3.Benga & Coki - Night
4.Skynet - Swamp
5.Rob Sparx - 2 Faced Rasta (Reso remix)
6.Babylon System - Loaded
7.Zen Militia - Sleepy Walker (Protocol X remix)
8.Rusko - Original Cut
9.Rakoon - Dirty East
10.TRG - Horny (Reso remix)
11.Bar 9 - Untitled Symphony
12.12th Planet - 28 Hours Later
13.Protocol X - Screwheads
14.Nameloc - The Creeper
15.Therenody - Realise
16.Hektagon - Malevolence
17.Babylon System - Dancing Shoes
18.Rusko - Jahova

Singalong Songs (Drum and Bass)
1.Optiv - Brainworm
2.Mindscape - True Lies
3.Cause 4 Concern - Pandemic
4.Evol Intent & Arsenic - Real Talk
5.Spor & Ewun - We Dominate
6.Morebeat - Butterfly in Hell
7.Jade - Unexist
8.Evol Intent - Era of Diversion
9.Gridlok feat. Dom & Roland - London's Burning
10.The Qemists - Stompbox (Spor remix)
11.Noisia - Concussion
12.Cooh - Armeny
13.Mindscape - No Escape (Noisia remix)
14.Commix - Satelite part 2
15.Evol Intent - 8 Bit Bitch (Spor remix)
16.Counterstrike & Eye-D - The Grind
17.Spor - Molehill
18.Mindscape & Chris SU featuring Ryme Tyme - Planet X
19.Break - The Uprising
20.Calyx & Teebee - Enigma
21.Prolix - Took my Love
22.Axiom - Last Singapore Sling
23.Commix - Solvent
24.Quadrant - My Beautiful Liar
25.Evol Intent - Middle of the Night

I also have some tunes on myspace

enjoy :)

#308 User is offline   saiyajinimport 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 May 2008 - 10:31 AM

awesome set man.
Allen Castillo

#309 User is offline   saiyajinimport 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 May 2008 - 12:03 PM

For those of you who had fun at both SoapBubble and Underground Groove this year please visit this thread and makes your comments there.

http://www.acen.org/...showtopic=23335

there are some people who think that i did a terrible job on there, but i would like to show them there are many more people who actually appreciated the event that i help put together.
Allen Castillo

#310 User is offline   BenedictKenny 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 21 May 2008 - 12:28 PM

View Postsaiyajinimport, on May 21 2008, 01:03 PM, said:

For those of you who had fun at both SoapBubble and Underground Groove this year please visit this thread and makes your comments there.

http://www.acen.org/...showtopic=23335

there are some people who think that i did a terrible job on there, but i would like to show them there are many more people who actually appreciated the event that i help put together.

Bottom Line, something needs to be done about the line issues.
Even further bottom line, something needs to be done about the leaving issues, if when you leave, you have to come back to a horrendous line.
Lowest line, apparently, there are some space issues, and SB happens late, because of Masquerade? I don't know anything about these space issues, and this is the one I might tend to disagree with, but, whatever. This isn't about me.

Eitherway, so far, the proposed solutions are, either moving the Soap Bubble, or having it in two separate locations.
Allen doesn't want to do this, because, well, he feels that it'd ruin the party spirit, attendance, etc.

The two questions then are, what does Allen propose in replacement? what other solutions do the attendees have?

#311 User is offline   DJ Amaya 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 17013

Posted 21 May 2008 - 03:54 PM

I just posted this in the other thread, and I thought the folks here might like the read :

I'm a new DJ at Anime-Expo, and after experiencing ACEN's Soap bubble, I must say that Soap bubble is bigger, and more fun than Anime-Expo's. Really I think regardless of the numbers, ACEN is a convention that easily rivals AX in size. I wish AX's Dance were like soap bubble, and all the stuff ACEN can do are things that because of rules, and policies, we can't do like that.

The idea of having one big show is great, as compared to running significantly smaller shows every day (like AX). In my humble opinion, i'm going to recommend that we do more things like ACEN at AX dance, and I know we wouldn't be able to do it like ACEN's staff. The Security works so hard, and is what holds the convention together, and keeps it out of trouble. They deserve so much praise.

I just hope I get a chance to attend again in the future, because ACEN's soap bubble, and the convention as a whole are really something to be proud of.

-AMAYA

And thanks to Allen for giving me the opprotunity to play.

#312 User is offline   saiyajinimport 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 May 2008 - 04:53 PM

View PostDJ Amaya, on May 21 2008, 04:54 PM, said:

I just posted this in the other thread, and I thought the folks here might like the read :

I'm a new DJ at Anime-Expo, and after experiencing ACEN's Soap bubble, I must say that Soap bubble is bigger, and more fun than Anime-Expo's. Really I think regardless of the numbers, ACEN is a convention that easily rivals AX in size. I wish AX's Dance were like soap bubble, and all the stuff ACEN can do are things that because of rules, and policies, we can't do like that.

The idea of having one big show is great, as compared to running significantly smaller shows every day (like AX). In my humble opinion, i'm going to recommend that we do more things like ACEN at AX dance, and I know we wouldn't be able to do it like ACEN's staff. The Security works so hard, and is what holds the convention together, and keeps it out of trouble. They deserve so much praise.

I just hope I get a chance to attend again in the future, because ACEN's soap bubble, and the convention as a whole are really something to be proud of.

-AMAYA

And thanks to Allen for giving me the opprotunity to play.

Don't man thank you for coming out and i would like for you to come out next year for sure. consider yourself one of ACEN's resident DJ's
Allen Castillo

#313 User is offline   chamere 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 12104

Posted 21 May 2008 - 05:37 PM

thanx for making another year aweomse you guys

i couldnt believe the sets the Dj's played at the Soapbubble, especially when someone mixed that songs "Cars" to a break beat, i was like thats gangsta.lol

it was so fun breaking in the circles, i got surgery soon, but Acen is SO WORTH IT!!!

Hey can someone send me the sets of DJ Amaya, Dj Khek, and Dj Heavygrinder
Guess what you just lost
Anyone like breakbeats, hit me up
If you want to learn how to dance let meknow

#314 User is offline   stomptoMYbeat 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 2256

Posted 21 May 2008 - 10:53 PM

View Postthat1guy64, on May 21 2008, 06:33 AM, said:

The chick dancing on stage was AMAZING. She totally grinded on me and then when she left, she shook my hand and said it was nice to meet me :D

Which girl dancing on stage? I was one of those up there :]
FIND ME AT ACEN: WEARING MY DEADMAU5 HEAD AGAIN!

#315 User is offline   Juri 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 4

Posted 22 May 2008 - 03:01 PM

View Postrini, on May 20 2008, 05:05 PM, said:

soap bubble was pretty fun, i didnt really dance; but i liked the music so just chilling was pretty awesome.

Although earlier on in the night when i was attempting to find the friend of mine who had brought me my clothes, i totally got cornered and felt up by some drunk butt.
That pissed me off >:o

Yiiiikes. Did you report it to IRT? That sort of behavior is absolutely NOT acceptable. :/ I'm sorry that happened to you.
2008-2009: Production ADH - Webmaster
2003-2005: Production DH
2002: Newsletter staff

o hay a deviantart account

#316 User is offline   Darko 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 18698

Posted 22 May 2008 - 03:15 PM

i loved the mortal combat mix, it was hillarious, OMG I HEARD ZOCALO and i was like YAY! cuz i like armin stuffs, yea i got a tad bit o pics on the myspace, but nothing big, also if anyone could send me the setlist that would be cool
Acen2014 - Creator Viktor - League of Legends
ACen 2013- Artorias the abysswalker -Darksouls
Apocalypse year ACen 2012-DEADMAU5 RAINBOSS- CustomLED Helmet

Questions about props?Email me . Details on my profile

#317 User is offline   Caerulea Windseeker 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Purge for Inactivity
  • Member No.: 18564

Posted 22 May 2008 - 05:22 PM

View PostBenedictKenny, on May 21 2008, 12:28 PM, said:

Bottom Line, something needs to be done about the line issues.
Even further bottom line, something needs to be done about the leaving issues, if when you leave, you have to come back to a horrendous line.
Lowest line, apparently, there are some space issues, and SB happens late, because of Masquerade? I don't know anything about these space issues, and this is the one I might tend to disagree with, but, whatever. This isn't about me.

Eitherway, so far, the proposed solutions are, either moving the Soap Bubble, or having it in two separate locations.
Allen doesn't want to do this, because, well, he feels that it'd ruin the party spirit, attendance, etc.

The two questions then are, what does Allen propose in replacement? what other solutions do the attendees have?

I agree with Benedict, line management is going to be an issue, especially since it was brought up last year and no one seemed to want to do anything about it. But, I've made my thoughts about the Soap Bubble line situation clear in other threads in Suggestions/Gripes.

I hated Underground Groove stuff with a flaming passion, but that's just my tastes. I will watch to see what events are hardcore and simply go to other things instead. Hopefully those who like hardcore enjoyed it. The Soap Bubble music seemed better this year than it did previous years. It was more universally appealing. Heavygrinder was a phenomenal DJ for the Soap Bubble and I sincerely hope she'll be back next year.

#318 User is offline   AverageOne 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 15771

Posted 22 May 2008 - 11:19 PM

If anyone has suggestions that they're really like to see through on issues, I'd say go for it. Suggest it. We'll, as the convention staff, will discuss it and see what we can do from there. Afterall, we all work together as a staff to put on a show for you guys. So input from you guys is crucial in trying to improve on what we can do next year. To be honest, I haven't really searched around these forums too much, but I'll suggest a Suggestion Section where you guys can freely type suggestions and what you would like to see next year. Found the section. =D Please disregard. Click Here for the suggestion part of the forum.

Two things:

Thanks Amaya for coming out. I didn't think you'd be so gung-ho about the idea when I mentioned it to you, but I'm glad you did. Was cool getting to meet you and I still have something to give you. But now you're at Animazement, so have fun at that.

Allen, great job for another great dance. Was a blast man. Sorry I didn't get to see much of it. Or really had the energy to really enjoy it. Thanks for the work man.

John Pham
Assistant Officer
Hotel / Convention Site Relations
Anime Central 2008

#319 User is offline   saiyajinimport 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 May 2008 - 11:53 PM

View PostAverageOne, on May 23 2008, 12:19 AM, said:

If anyone has suggestions that they're really like to see through on issues, I'd say go for it. Suggest it. We'll, as the convention staff, will discuss it and see what we can do from there. Afterall, we all work together as a staff to put on a show for you guys. So input from you guys is crucial in trying to improve on what we can do next year. To be honest, I haven't really searched around these forums too much, but I'll suggest a Suggestion Section where you guys can freely type suggestions and what you would like to see next year. Found the section. =D Please disregard. Click Here for the suggestion part of the forum.

Two things:

Thanks Amaya for coming out. I didn't think you'd be so gung-ho about the idea when I mentioned it to you, but I'm glad you did. Was cool getting to meet you and I still have something to give you. But now you're at Animazement, so have fun at that.

Allen, great job for another great dance. Was a blast man. Sorry I didn't get to see much of it. Or really had the energy to really enjoy it. Thanks for the work man.

John Pham
Assistant Officer
Hotel / Convention Site Relations
Anime Central 2008

thanks alot john i'm glad you enjoyed what little time you were there. next time don't work so hard and come and have a drink with us. i'm thinking of goin to AX to go see Amaya and see how they do it on the west coast if your interested in goin let me know.

View PostCaerulea Windseeker, on May 22 2008, 06:22 PM, said:

I agree with Benedict, line management is going to be an issue, especially since it was brought up last year and no one seemed to want to do anything about it. But, I've made my thoughts about the Soap Bubble line situation clear in other threads in Suggestions/Gripes.

I hated Underground Groove stuff with a flaming passion, but that's just my tastes. I will watch to see what events are hardcore and simply go to other things instead. Hopefully those who like hardcore enjoyed it. The Soap Bubble music seemed better this year than it did previous years. It was more universally appealing. Heavygrinder was a phenomenal DJ for the Soap Bubble and I sincerely hope she'll be back next year.

HeavyGrinder will definitely be back next year i would like her to spin a longer set cuz she was just killin it that nite. She is probably one of the best female DJ's i've ever heard live.
Allen Castillo

#320 User is offline   The Commodore 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 18210

Posted 23 May 2008 - 06:06 AM

View Postsaiyajinimport, on May 22 2008, 11:53 PM, said:

HeavyGrinder will definitely be back next year i would like her to spin a longer set cuz she was just killin it that nite. She is probably one of the best female DJ's i've ever heard live.

Ohhhmygosh I will love you eternally if you bring her back!!
Her set was frickin' amazing and I met her earlier in the day and she was unbelievably nice to me, and she even communicated with me via myspace after the con. ^_^

I saw your earlier post: I've got a few decent pics of Heavygrinder from the dance, want me to e-mail them to you?

View PostSeph, on May 19 2008, 03:24 PM, said:

yup sure did.. you even had "The Commodore" on your badge :P

Yay!! That was certainly me! ^.^
- TEAM 2L2Q -
ACEN 2011: The Last Judgement

#321 User is offline   CrimsonAnime 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 18090

Posted 23 May 2008 - 08:13 AM

after all my planning I managed to miss BOTH raves
T_T
but I will be there next year.
This I ensure.
A-Cen 2014 Cosplay (links are of me): Angewomon (Digimon) / Sailor Luna (Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon) / Hikaru (Angelic Layer) /
CURRENTLY SELLING ANIME/MANGA/WALLSCROLLS! PM FOR MORE INFORMATION!
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2013: Pocahontas //// Raven (Teen Titans TV Series)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2011:Edward Elric //// Anthy (Rose Bride) //// Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Diva(Final Battle)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2010:Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Saya (Vietnam/Crazy Form) //// Sailor Pluto //// Anthy (Rose Bride)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2009:Diva(Final Battle) //// Sailor Pluto //// Edward Elric
The Official "Forum Kitten", A Rini Fangirl, TekoMuto fan

#322 User is offline   EzERawk 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 17490

Posted 23 May 2008 - 08:22 AM

Both were really good, especially compared to last year, depending on what type of music you like.

I'm not a big fan of hardcore or D&B (I can listen to D&B, don't really like to dance to it.) I really like Heavy Grind cause she kind of reminded me of DJ Colette (who I am in love with ::swoons::) and she played music just about anyone could dance too.

I'm personally a fan of house and new wave, hence that's why I live in Chicago and enjoy going to the clubs here. If anyone, I think the dances need djs playing different styles of music like one that's house, one thats D&B, etc, etc. That way, you can please everyone, cause I've seen some people complaining on the threads the style they liked wasn't represented enough.
Acen 2011 = Hazama / 2010 = Black Reaper / 2009 = Ginko / 2008 = Commander Amarao / 2007 = Ramna Boytype
Xbox Tag = EzERawk / PSN = EzERawk / Wii Code = 8450-6258-6492-7122
Facebook / Twitter / Weekly Anime Review

#323 User is offline   XCMNate 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 17840

Posted 23 May 2008 - 09:24 AM

I really loved the Underground Groove. In some ways it was better than the Soap Bubble for me, but I tend to glowstick and love hardcore music. Soap Bubble was of course awesome too, and while I liked HeavyGrinder, I wish Greg would have spun more. I agree with whoever said it was a bad idea to split up the SB. The reason it is so fun is because its sooo huge.
Darker Than BlackTrigunRurouni KenshiOutlaw StarxxxHolic

#324 User is offline   AverageOne 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 15771

Posted 24 May 2008 - 03:07 AM

View Postsaiyajinimport, on May 23 2008, 12:53 AM, said:

i'm thinking of goin to AX to go see Amaya and see how they do it on the west coast if your interested in goin let me know.

Actually, I brought this into heavy consideration. I got airline miles to spend before they expire after the summer. So airfare won't be much of a hassle. We'll talk offline if you want. I'm totally about 75% into this plan. =D

On subject! I'm happy with the variety as well. I'm glad people took such a strong notice to it. Not just glad, more like estatic. ^_^

#325 User is offline   saiyajinimport 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 May 2008 - 07:21 AM

View PostAverageOne, on May 24 2008, 04:07 AM, said:

Actually, I brought this into heavy consideration. I got airline miles to spend before they expire after the summer. So airfare won't be much of a hassle. We'll talk offline if you want. I'm totally about 75% into this plan. =D

On subject! I'm happy with the variety as well. I'm glad people took such a strong notice to it. Not just glad, more like estatic. ^_^

yeah give me a ring and we'll talk about it.
Allen Castillo

#326 User is offline   Seph 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 11372

Posted 24 May 2008 - 11:27 AM

View Postsaiyajinimport, on May 24 2008, 08:21 AM, said:

yeah give me a ring and we'll talk about it.

i should talk to them about picking me up as their photographer :P

#327 User is offline   JackR 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 18774

Posted 24 May 2008 - 11:05 PM

Did anyone happen to catch which DJ(s) had those great mixes of Sweet Dreams and Tainted Love? Or, more importantly, does anyone know where I can find said mixes?

#328 User is offline   DJ OpM 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 616

Posted 27 May 2008 - 09:58 PM

I believe that it was Heavygrinder that had the Sweet Dreams rmx and Jon Sugerman had the Tainted Love rmx.

Retired
Secretary 2K8, Operations Section Chief 2K7/IRT DH 2K5-2K6, IRT Staff Relations / TechOps ADH 2K4
AIM: DeeJayOPM, Y!IM: Dee_jay_opm
fchrisking at gmail

#329 User is offline   chamere 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 12104

Posted 28 May 2008 - 12:13 PM

who had the mix with cars by Gary Numan, that was an awesomebreakbeat and random.lol

is there anywhere were we can more mixes from Acen soapbubble or just the DJ's

maybe try to get mixes from the soapbubble, while the soapbubble is going on and then sell it, that would be awesome
Guess what you just lost
Anyone like breakbeats, hit me up
If you want to learn how to dance let meknow

#330 Guest_Sudou_*

• Group: Guests*
  • Member No.:

Posted 28 May 2008 - 02:58 PM

dude the raves were so fun i danced with like 15 random girls. i feel bad for my friend tho he danced with some druggie girl who wanted to have sex with him but he turned her down (good man) becuz he has a girl friend and he loves her. i feel even worse for my other friend tho becuz he didnt no how to dance. i got this one girl that i was dancing with to dance with him and she had to show him how to dance. now thats just terrible. haha. well other than my friends having garbage times, i had an awesome time at the raves.

• 12 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users