Anime Central Forums: Volunteering For Acen 2008 - Anime Central Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Volunteering For Acen 2008 For anyone that wants this year's convention to run smoother than

#61 User is offline   Mandy 

• Pip
  • Group: Purge for Inactivity
  • Member No.: 11294

Posted 25 June 2007 - 11:29 AM

I'd like everyone to keep in mind this very important detail. And if it was mentioned before, all the more reason to bring it up again.

There were close to 14,000 people at ACen this year.

And not even a FRACTION of that was on IRT.

The count before the con was something like 110. We had maybe around 100. Then a bunch of people walked. Even if we would have had 100, it still wouldn't have been nearly enough to control the 14k we had about.

100 people can only do so much. And for as many things as you think went wrong, I believe we did a pretty damn good job. We tried our hardest.

Which just means that if you want ACen to be better, get more people to apply for IRT. XD It's that simple. Your efforts to get people to help on IRT make ACen better or worse.

Hi.
My name is Mandy.
I hug people.

I <3 people who <3 IRT.

#62 User is offline   sammy-45 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 42

Posted 26 June 2007 - 07:43 AM

Good Point.
But also please remember that we are looking for friendly people who want to help. We have worked very hard to get IRT to the point were very few people complain about them. So those who are looking to join staff for the "power trip" over the fans, let me tell you right now- you won't be on staff if all you want is "power" over the fans. Alos IRT goes through intreviews before they can get on staff.

What we could use more of on staff, well that would be everyone. I think we could use more people to do pre-con work, And also do more at-con work. But more then people, we need people who love to help, and really want to make a diffrnece for their fellow fans in how the con is run.
Staff from 2003 to 2010. Currently Retired.

Blessed are the cracked:
for it is they who let in the light!

Go Cubs!!!!GO BEARS!!!!

#63 User is offline   KnitChick 

• ACen Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 9629

Posted 26 June 2007 - 11:03 PM

Well I'm happy to do pre-con work, I live right in the area (I'm 3 miles from the Hyatt). :D I don't even care if I have to pay for my badge, I don't need a hotel room, I just want to help! No power trips here (well...unless I get into stage manager mode but keep me from the Masquerade and I won't end up calling "BATHROOM AND PLACES!" :D)
Special Needs and Compliance DH for Acen! Come see us in the Hyatt Grand Boardroom!!
Acen 2014: 50s Sailor Mercury, Agent Simmons from S.H.I.E.L.D., Kim Possible, Ghostbuster, frazzled DH
Youmacon 2014: (tentative) Captain Marvelous, Agent Simmons?, Ace from Doctor Who?
Chicago TARDIS 2014: (tentative) Fourth Doctor, Ace

Member of Team GEEK for the Norridge/Harwood Heights Relay for Life! Please join us or donate!
Ninja on the Glomp Team! Member of the Crossplay Alliance! / My blog / My pictures! (Flickr)
Resident Ghostbusters, Doctor Who, Firefly, Quantum Leap, Transformers, Harry Potter, Highlander, Girl Genius, Super Sentai and Nerima Daikon Brothers obsessor!

#64 User is offline   Brandy 

• Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 9577

Posted 08 July 2007 - 01:43 PM

*waves*

Hi, m'name's Brandy, and I'm interested in working Guest Relations.

I'm currently president of a college-level Anime Club, I've previously flown in a voice actor from L.A. to give speeches on behalf of our club at DePaul University, and I'm looking to do it again this year. Every time I go to a con, I make it my personal goal to meet all of the guests that I can, I'm a huge panel go-er, and this year, as my last A-Cen, I'd like to give something back.

I've gone to dozens upon dozens of cons, have a lot of leadership experience and organizational experience, and definitely have the time to devote to talking/negotiating with guests to get them to A-Cen. I've seen a bit of a lack in English guests as of late, and I'd love to work with someone to balance it out a little more between Japanese and English guests for 2008.

I know it requires a lot of research and communication, and I'm more than willing to do that. I've talked to several majorly known voice actors, have contact information for quite a few of them, and there are some poorly neglected panels from some of them that I wish would be shown at more cons. That being said, I hope I can work it out to help as much as I can this year. :)

-Brandy
ACen 2008 Cosplay Plans:
Friday - Edward Elric - Fullmetal Alchemist
Saturday - Quilt - Dominic Deegan
Sunday - Undecided
----------
Acen 2005 Pictures (Temporarily Lost)
Acen 2006 Pictures
Acen 2007 Pictures

#65 User is offline   The Persian Monk 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 10911

Posted 11 July 2007 - 08:34 PM

I'd like to help out with the video game tourneys. It seemed very chaotic and haphazard. Don't get me wrong, I'm not blaming anyone, (although I did see people behind a desk doing Sudoku whilst some poor lad was painstakingly re-organizing the SoulCaliber 3 tourney alone) but perhaps more helpful hands would make things run way, WAY smoother. I don't know about a lot of things, but I know a lot about one thing: video gaming.

So my question is: Is it possible to just help with the vids? It's my forte, really. I've been to ACen the last 3 years, and hung out in the game room the last 2 years (I wasn't even aware there was a game room the first year) and my experiences were...well...let's just say I want to help out. Let me know!!

the.strebel@gmail.com

#66 User is offline   akaikurama 

• Panel Programming Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 10043

Posted 10 September 2007 - 08:43 AM

I was thinking about doing the gofering thing this year, do you list where to go when your at the con to volenteer for gofering?
Remember...
Pics
Short but sweet!!

#67 User is offline   yor9790 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 10188

Posted 13 September 2007 - 06:59 AM

If it wasn't for the fact I don't have a car, I'd join in a heart beat! That and i can't get off work for anything other than the con itself. :(
i'm back, for now anyway.

#68 User is offline   akaikurama 

• Panel Programming Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 10043

Posted 13 September 2007 - 08:16 AM

I'm finishing up my bachlors right now so depending on what days my classes are (I refeuse to have a friday class) I can't make it there till friday morn.
Remember...
Pics
Short but sweet!!

#69 User is offline   chidori 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 5613

Posted 13 September 2007 - 08:49 PM

View PostZeoCetra, on May 28 2007, 11:46 AM, said:

I usually only read the forums so this is the first time posting.
Reason is, I'm interested in volunteering for acen2008. I'm a registered EMT in Indiana and Michigan. I might be able to get my registration for Illinois before next year either by submitting my other registrations to to state or simply taking the National registry if my testing window is still valid to do so. Though, the national registry is a horribly annoying test T_T So a reply would be nice so I can get the test done if needed before my window of opportunity expires and have to take a refresher course. Tis not going to take national registry otherwise.

Go here:
http://www.acen.org/...showtopic=18783

As a CPR/First Aid/etc instructor, I would like to remind people looking for those classes to check your local YMCA, as many of them offer all you could need for those!
"Chidori" married to "Lillockey"
What makes me an Otaku?
My children are named from animes! How much more obsessed can you be? :P

#70 User is offline   JNOtaku 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 913

Posted 15 January 2008 - 12:28 AM

Any clue when the official application for non-IRT staff positions will be up? There is already only 4 months left until the convention, and it is surprising that it is not up yet (especially since the application for IRT positions has been up for a while).

JNOtaku
"Why don't you all fade away
And don't try to dig what we all say
I'm not trying to cause a big sensation
I'm just talkin' 'bout my generation" (The Who)
The Otaku Generation: Predicted 30 years earlier! Fight OTAKING!

A soldier of the Glomp Team! Member of the Shy Otaku Syndicate, and the ACEN Yakuza! :D My Webpage! My Myspace! My MAL profile!
Forum Daimyo as of 7/21/2005!!! :) Forum Elite (1337) as of 7/19/2006! :D :D :D

#71 User is offline   Alicorn 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 8346

Posted 15 January 2008 - 10:45 AM

There's a staff application up on the ACen website (Information > Volunteering, or http://www.acen.org/...p?categoryid=23 for a shortcut) - I suppose it didn't get announced for whatever reason, but since it's up there, I assume that it's been tested and works properly, and will in fact send in your application to the appropriate person :)

#72 User is offline   JNOtaku 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 913

Posted 15 January 2008 - 03:55 PM

Thank you! I am filling it out right now!

JNOtaku
"Why don't you all fade away
And don't try to dig what we all say
I'm not trying to cause a big sensation
I'm just talkin' 'bout my generation" (The Who)
The Otaku Generation: Predicted 30 years earlier! Fight OTAKING!

A soldier of the Glomp Team! Member of the Shy Otaku Syndicate, and the ACEN Yakuza! :D My Webpage! My Myspace! My MAL profile!
Forum Daimyo as of 7/21/2005!!! :) Forum Elite (1337) as of 7/19/2006! :D :D :D

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users