Anime Central Forums: Volunteering For Acen 2008 - Anime Central Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Volunteering For Acen 2008 For anyone that wants this year's convention to run smoother than

#31 User is offline   Larek 

• Main Events ADH
  • PipPip
  • Group: Assistant Department Head
  • Member No.: 10618

Posted 01 June 2007 - 09:07 AM

View Postexcel excel, on May 31 2007, 08:34 PM, said:

You may not know that. I had a staffer who was my best friend and I let her stay with me for free because she wasnt comfortable sharing a room with someone she didnt know too well. And she's going to college soon so she didnt have enough money.Plus she's an awesome person to be around and she was fun to hang around with! We had fun watching movies and eating pizza!
Anythings possible with a little kindness <3!

The problem is that its normally not just A friend but more like 10 of them, so 12 people in 3 rooms, and 2 of them are staff. And the staff are the group's organizers. Yes it may change in the future, but you never know.

#32 User is offline   excel excel 

• Panel Programming <3
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderator
  • Member No.: 1495

Posted 02 June 2007 - 07:05 AM

After serious thought, id like to volunteer my services to ACen. Ive been attending the con for 10 years and i know about the hours and such, but its about time I give back after ACen has done so much. My way of saying thanks!
ACen 2013 Cosplay Plans:
MST3k Mike Nelson & Crow-Friday
Team Fortress 2 Medic-Saturday

#33 User is offline   wolverine33 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 582

Posted 02 June 2007 - 07:24 AM

[quote name='excel excel' date='Jun 2 2007,
After serious thought, id like to volunteer my services to ACen. Ive been attending the con for 10 years.....

WOW :blink: i wish i could say that :(

You should try to attend a meeting when they have them, it will be a while before thay have one though.....

Later B)

#34 User is offline   Cherry_Wolf 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 2860

Posted 03 June 2007 - 06:55 AM

After some thought, I think I should let you all know what departments I will go into and what the circumstances are for me to do this.

If I am to staff, I will more than likely go in the Registration Department. If not there Panel Programming. Granted I don't know how a lot of the stuff works, seeing as I am merely volunteering, but I'd appreciate it if I am able to do this, that someone PMs me with the information I will need to be a helpful member of this team.

The circumstances of if I can do this primarily lay with my younger sister. Some of you may see this as ridiculous, especially considering she'll be 18 at ACen next year, but I am not going to ditch my sister at the con alone. Cause we go together to this convention and I am not going to leave her by herself, when she doesn't want to be.

So, the only way I will staff next year is if either-
She has prom that weekend
She has her senior trip that weekend

Basically anything that pops up that she can't make it to ACen for, then I will be staffing. And if I do staff, I'll probably still get my own room... I think I'd be uncomfortable to stay with someone I don't know! lol!

Other than that, I'll see where everything goes~ <3333
Possible Cosplays-
Takanashi Rikka - Chuunibyou (95% done)
Onoda Sakamichi - Yowamushi Pedal(90%)
Tokino - Lamento: Beyond the Void(75% done)

#35 User is offline   sisterdiscord 

• Chief Of Staff
  • PipPip
  • Group: Officer
  • Member No.: 1559

Posted 03 June 2007 - 02:26 PM

OK, guys--I don't want you to think I'm ignoring this thread.

I'm still working with my DHs on closing down the 07 year, collecting contacts and rcords, etc.

I expect in just under a month I'll have a formal staff application up and running oon the ACen domain. (We're doing some IT changes, so implementing it before then would be difficult.)

In the meanwhile, I've placed a temporary version of the application to join 08 staff on my personal domain, and the link is here:
This is not a spam link, and your personal information will remain confidential between myself and the manager who hires you.
http://sisterdiscord...index.php?sid=3

If you want to join staff, fill out this form, then shoot me an email at acenchiefofstaff at gmail

Thanks, future team members in waiting. :)

Love,
Rosa
This is my signature. It is only one line.

#36 User is offline   psyco_chick32 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 1735

Posted 03 June 2007 - 07:46 PM

View Postsisterdiscord, on Jun 3 2007, 04:26 PM, said:

I expect in just under a month I'll have a formal staff application up and running oon the ACen domain. (We're doing some IT changes, so implementing it before then would be difficult.)

Wow, that soon?

*major props*
*and e-cookies, chocolate-chip style*

#37 User is offline   sisterdiscord 

• Chief Of Staff
  • PipPip

Posted 03 June 2007 - 08:25 PM

View Postpsyco_chick32, on Jun 4 2007, 01:46 AM, said:

Wow, that soon?

*major props*
*and e-cookies, chocolate-chip style*

Frankly, what you'll see when it's up is a mirror of the form on my site now.
I want it ready as soon as we do the staff meeting to close out 07 business, so that whomever is Chief of Staff next year if it isn't me will have a pool of resources and a method of getting in information quickly.

You can go ahead and apply...the data will be carried over to the new database once the server changes get done.

R

#38 User is offline   arina_shirakawa 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 81

Posted 05 June 2007 - 12:47 PM

View PostCherry_Wolf, on Jun 3 2007, 12:55 PM, said:

After some thought, I think I should let you all know what departments I will go into and what the circumstances are for me to do this.

If I am to staff, I will more than likely go in the Registration Department. If not there Panel Programming. Granted I don't know how a lot of the stuff works, seeing as I am merely volunteering, but I'd appreciate it if I am able to do this, that someone PMs me with the information I will need to be a helpful member of this team.

The circumstances of if I can do this primarily lay with my younger sister. Some of you may see this as ridiculous, especially considering she'll be 18 at ACen next year, but I am not going to ditch my sister at the con alone. Cause we go together to this convention and I am not going to leave her by herself, when she doesn't want to be.

So, the only way I will staff next year is if either-
She has prom that weekend
She has her senior trip that weekend

Basically anything that pops up that she can't make it to ACen for, then I will be staffing. And if I do staff, I'll probably still get my own room... I think I'd be uncomfortable to stay with someone I don't know! lol!
Other than that, I'll see where everything goes~ <3333

Since she's gonna be 18 next year, why not drag her to be a staffer too? ;)

Arina Shirakawa (and don't take it as my real name, lol :p ) Registration Staff 2003-2004/ Production/ Semi -Registration Staff 2005

Cheesy with my Cutie Since Dec 14, 2005 <3

Gonna try to get a table @ Artist Alley in 09~ Come Visit me <3

http://arina-shirakawa.deviantart.com

#39 User is offline   sisterdiscord 

• Chief Of Staff
  • PipPip

Posted 06 June 2007 - 08:02 AM

View Postarina_shirakawa, on Jun 5 2007, 06:47 PM, said:

Right!

THe more, the merrier!

#40 User is offline   KnitChick 

• ACen Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 9629

Posted 07 June 2007 - 01:12 AM

I sent in my info! :)

I'm gonna be busier at next Acen, not only am I volunteering for staff but I'm probably going to be in the Masquerade too :)
Special Needs and Compliance DH for Acen! Come see us in the Hyatt Grand Boardroom!!
Acen 2014: 50s Sailor Mercury, Agent Simmons from S.H.I.E.L.D., Kim Possible, Ghostbuster, frazzled DH
Youmacon 2014: (tentative) Captain Marvelous, Agent Simmons?, Ace from Doctor Who?
Chicago TARDIS 2014: (tentative) Fourth Doctor, Ace

Member of Team GEEK for the Norridge/Harwood Heights Relay for Life! Please join us or donate!
Ninja on the Glomp Team! Member of the Crossplay Alliance! / My blog / My pictures! (Flickr)
Resident Ghostbusters, Doctor Who, Firefly, Quantum Leap, Transformers, Harry Potter, Highlander, Girl Genius, Super Sentai and Nerima Daikon Brothers obsessor!

#41 User is offline   excel excel 

• Panel Programming <3
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 07 June 2007 - 11:08 AM

I sent my email! Im ready!!!
ACen 2013 Cosplay Plans:

#42 User is offline   Kitsu-chan 

• 2+2 = 5
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 6190
  • Location:Hiding from my Sewing machine. Shh... Don't tell it I'm under the bed.

Posted 07 June 2007 - 02:16 PM

I might consider joining staff next year. It depends if I can pull off some of my big cosplay ideas, if I can't I'll definitely staff.
Resident Ladyboy of the ACen Forums

Sadly won't be attending ACen 2012. So I'll be taking my cosplay up a notch for 2013.

#43 User is offline   JNOtaku 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Purge for Inactivity
  • Member No.: 913

Posted 08 June 2007 - 10:33 PM

View Postsisterdiscord, on Jun 3 2007, 03:26 PM, said:

I expect in just under a month I'll have a formal staff application up and running on the ACen domain. (We're doing some IT changes, so implementing it before then would be difficult.)

Wow - that is very fast!

In the meanwhile, I've placed a temporary version of the application to join 08 staff on my personal domain, and the link is here:
This is not a spam link, and your personal information will remain confidential between myself and the manager who hires you.

If you want to join staff, fill out this form, then shoot me an email at acenchiefofstaff at gmail

Thanks, future team members in waiting. :)

Love,
Rosa

Thanks for the application! I just finished filling it out!

JNOtaku
"Why don't you all fade away
And don't try to dig what we all say
I'm not trying to cause a big sensation
I'm just talkin' 'bout my generation" (The Who)
The Otaku Generation: Predicted 30 years earlier! Fight OTAKING!

A soldier of the Glomp Team! Member of the Shy Otaku Syndicate, and the ACEN Yakuza! :D My Webpage! My Myspace! My MAL profile!
Forum Daimyo as of 7/21/2005!!! :) Forum Elite (1337) as of 7/19/2006! :D :D :D

#44 User is offline   TheRabbi 

• IRT ADH
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrator
  • Member No.: 591

Posted 12 June 2007 - 11:36 PM

View PostJNOtaku, on Jun 9 2007, 04:33 AM, said:

Wow - that is very fast!
Thanks for the application! I just finished filling it out!

JNOtaku

I should mention that the IRT app won't be up for a while. If you want, you can fill out Rosa's application and note that you want to be on IRT. Then she'll give me your e-mail address and I'll let you know when the app is up.

The IRT application is much more extensive than the one Rosa has up, so you will need to fill it out as well. However, for those of you who can't wait, this is an intermediate solution.

-Rabbi
Eli "Rabbi" Morris-Heft: IRT Assistant Department Head
SecDiv Dispatch 2004, IRT Communications ADH 2005-06, IRT Dispatch Supervisor 2007-2010, IRT Dispatch Commander 2011, IRT ADH 2012-, IT Senior Sysadmin 2007-2011, ACen Clergy, 2004-

"Two-three the count with nobody on / He hit a high fly into the stands / Roundin' third, he was headed for home / It was a brown-eyed handsome man (that won the game) / It was a brown-eyed handsome man." (Brown-Eyed Handsome Man by Chuck Berry)

I <3 People Who <3 IRT!Want to help make IRT even better? Apply next year!

#45 User is offline   excel excel 

• Panel Programming <3
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 14 June 2007 - 02:31 PM

I applied but I havent recieved a survey yet. I kept getting a weird error message after I put in my name and email address. Could someone email me the survey to me here

lilkymbo@hotmail.com

Thanks.
ACen 2013 Cosplay Plans:

#46 User is offline   Cherry_Wolf 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 14 June 2007 - 04:04 PM

View Postarina_shirakawa, on Jun 5 2007, 01:47 PM, said:

XDXD Believe me, I mentioned it... she's just not interested. *shrug*
Possible Cosplays-

#47 User is offline   CrimsonSky 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 11894

Posted 14 June 2007 - 06:11 PM

Ah but staffing at cons is fun. Its something that I have to do now otherwise just doesn't feel the same.

#48 User is offline   sammy-45 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 42

Posted 14 June 2007 - 08:02 PM

I love staffing the con. I know that I always have more fun staffing then just going. But then I like knowing whats going on.

I can't wait to get you all on board for staff it will be great.

And if anyone has any backround in Marketing please let me know- looking for someone to do advertsing for the con.
Staff from 2003 to 2010. Currently Retired.

Blessed are the cracked:
for it is they who let in the light!

Go Cubs!!!!GO BEARS!!!!

#49 User is offline   KnitChick 

• ACen Staff
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 15 June 2007 - 10:30 PM

View Postsammy-45, on Jun 14 2007, 09:02 PM, said:

I love staffing the con. I know that I always have more fun staffing then just going. But then I like knowing whats going on.

And if anyone has any backround in Marketing please let me know- looking for someone to do advertsing for the con.

*waves* I have some, my degree is Communications, Media & Theatre so I have a little background in writing for mass media, plus I worked Public Relations for my local library's referendum committee (the time we WON the vote I might add ^_^)
Special Needs and Compliance DH for Acen! Come see us in the Hyatt Grand Boardroom!!
Acen 2014: 50s Sailor Mercury, Agent Simmons from S.H.I.E.L.D., Kim Possible, Ghostbuster, frazzled DH
Youmacon 2014: (tentative) Captain Marvelous, Agent Simmons?, Ace from Doctor Who?

Member of Team GEEK for the Norridge/Harwood Heights Relay for Life! Please join us or donate!
Ninja on the Glomp Team! Member of the Crossplay Alliance! / My blog / My pictures! (Flickr)
Resident Ghostbusters, Doctor Who, Firefly, Quantum Leap, Transformers, Harry Potter, Highlander, Girl Genius, Super Sentai and Nerima Daikon Brothers obsessor!

#50 User is offline   CrimsonSky 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 11894

Posted 16 June 2007 - 03:52 PM

^Oh that's a cool degree its much like mine with Radio, Television, and Film. I also have a little background in mass media writing

#51 User is offline   JNOtaku 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 913

Posted 17 June 2007 - 08:43 PM

I forgot to put that I hosted the Learn Sudoku!!! panel at ACEN in 2006 and 2007. Can that be changed?

JNOtaku
"Why don't you all fade away
And don't try to dig what we all say
I'm not trying to cause a big sensation
I'm just talkin' 'bout my generation" (The Who)
The Otaku Generation: Predicted 30 years earlier! Fight OTAKING!

A soldier of the Glomp Team! Member of the Shy Otaku Syndicate, and the ACEN Yakuza! :D My Webpage! My Myspace! My MAL profile!
Forum Daimyo as of 7/21/2005!!! :) Forum Elite (1337) as of 7/19/2006! :D :D :D

#52 User is offline   Kitsu-chan 

• 2+2 = 5
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 6190
  • Location:Hiding from my Sewing machine. Shh... Don't tell it I'm under the bed.

Posted 17 June 2007 - 08:54 PM

View Postsammy-45, on Jun 14 2007, 09:02 PM, said:

I've got some experience. I've taken a marketing class (never finshed to get my degree), plus I help get my father's band booked occassionaly.

Also, since staff seems to look in this thread, I found a question floating around that hopefully could get answered. Cosplay & Staffing
Resident Ladyboy of the ACen Forums

Sadly won't be attending ACen 2012. So I'll be taking my cosplay up a notch for 2013.

#53 User is offline   Mandy 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 11294

Posted 18 June 2007 - 12:31 AM

I don't approve of the topic title... As poor of a job as you think we may have done, we were working as hard as we could. :/
Hi.
My name is Mandy.
I hug people.

I <3 people who <3 IRT.

#54 User is offline   Cherry_Wolf 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 18 June 2007 - 04:06 PM

View PostMandy, on Jun 18 2007, 01:31 AM, said:

I don't approve of the topic title... As poor of a job as you think we may have done, we were working as hard as we could. :/

Though I do agree with you, the sub topic is rather unnecessary, it is kind of the truth. Especially from what I heard with people bailing on their staff position, amongst other things of course.

I think things can run much more smooth than what they did this year. But that's just one opinion.
Possible Cosplays-

#55 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 9075

Posted 19 June 2007 - 02:23 AM

These are some brave individuals volunteering. /salute

#56 User is offline   sammy-45 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 42

Posted 20 June 2007 - 07:54 AM

It is great to see so many people with Marketing experince. I will not be "hireing" anyone till after the new con-chair is picked. But I will keep an eye on this board, to look for people.

One thing we are doing now is getting feedback about the Merch we had this year, and what people whould want next year. Also the Got Saop? slogan contest is up and running for 2008. Even if you become staff later, you are still allowed to try and come up with the winning slogan.
Staff from 2003 to 2010. Currently Retired.

Blessed are the cracked:
for it is they who let in the light!

Go Cubs!!!!GO BEARS!!!!

#57 User is offline   darkened_one 

• IRT
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 1137

Posted 21 June 2007 - 04:27 AM

View PostJNOtaku, on May 20 2007, 12:04 AM, said:

So, I am definitely interested in volunteering for Anime Central 2008! I had plenty of downtime during Anime Central this year, so I would definitely have some time to help keep the convention going. In addition, my Sudoku panel got a lot less people this year than last year, so next year would be a good time to transition to staff. Here are some of my details:

I have never volunteered as a staff member at Anime Central, but I am willing to volunteer in 2008. I do need plenty of sleep (around 9.5 hours a night) to feel awake and keep my sanity, so are there any positions that require 8 hours or less of work per day?

Thanks,

JNOtaku
P.S. Anyone else who wants to volunteer for 2008 can post in this thread!

P.S.S. It looks like the full subtitle didn't appear. It is supposed to be "For anyone who wants this year's convention to run smoother than Anime Central 2007".

... sanity ... your wanna keep your sanity AND WORK ON STAFF ... I say it can't happen. But you'll have fun losing it ... and even more fun trying to find it again ... mine is still missing but it sent me a postcard last week ... my sanity gets to have all the fun traveling around the world and the such.
dark god of war, fire, death ... and kittens

I am a man of many names but you only need to know one ... I em the Darkie

members of the dark army
Sinfull_Zaraki, faithful_jello, kawaii_kitty, Oreo_Otaku

#58 User is offline   darkened_one 

• IRT
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 June 2007 - 04:32 AM

View PostScoobySchmitty, on May 22 2007, 07:20 PM, said:

I do believe that there will be a thread for volunteering posted eventually. IIRC, the call for ACEN 2007 IRT went out towards the beginning of 2007, not sure about the rest of the staff.

To answer your question Edward, no loaded Airsofts in IRT. We are a security force, not military. If you are worried about needing to defend yourself, then take a self-defense course before applying to IRT. I have not personally seen a need for it, but being 6'2" and weighing 250 lbs helps cut down on potential challengers, at least for me. ;) Honestly, a more useful expense of your time would be a CPR/First Aid class or security training course. Check your local comm. colleges, they might have something listed.

Also, if you plan on joining IRT, you better be ready for long shifts. A LOW number of hours for our ops this year was FORTY. LOW number. This is because we had about half of our accepted ops drop-out, because they were in it for glory and excitement. That's not why we do IRT. It's because we want a smooth running convention with minimal problems. We don't like "exciting", it means things are getting out of hand. So if you want to join IRT for that, know you quite possibly will be disappointed and quit. We want people to stay, so I'm warning you ahead of time. If this doesn't deter you, then IRT very well could be what you are looking for.

yes ... don't join IRT for the glory ... join for the friendships you will gain ... and the stories you can tell ... like being sent out to investigate hookah con OVER AND OVER AGAIN because people keep reporting they are smoking bongs

members of the dark army

#59 User is offline   darkened_one 

• IRT
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 June 2007 - 04:39 AM

View PostEdward Elric, on May 22 2007, 05:45 PM, said:

I'm Chris and i Have been to Acen Once at the 2007 one, but I am 17 btu will be 18 by 08's Acen, I do have Crowd Control and disaster experiance because I was with a NON-profit emergency response team Called REACT. And i just wanna get an I.R.T. expeiance, and i was wondering if irt's can carry loaded airsofts JUST IN CASE, if not meh, no biggie TY!

you don't get a airsoft ... but you get a radio which you can use to call on the forces of the Taz and Pixie whos wrath is worth 1000 airsoft guns

members of the dark army

#60 User is offline   KnitChick 

• ACen Staff
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 22 June 2007 - 09:35 PM

View Postdarkened_one, on Jun 21 2007, 05:27 AM, said:

... sanity ... your wanna keep your sanity AND WORK ON STAFF ... I say it can't happen. But you'll have fun losing it ... and even more fun trying to find it again ... mine is still missing but it sent me a postcard last week ... my sanity gets to have all the fun traveling around the world and the such.

LOL! Yeah I know how that is, my sanity divorced me back in my freshman year of college, it moved to Bora Bora last I heard ^_^

I want to work on staff, but I also want to have enough time to hit up the interesting panels, participate in the masquerade, and cosplay....good thing I'm insane and good at surviving on little sleep. Though I may end up crashing in someone's room next year if I'm too tired to drive the three miles home ;D

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users