• This topic is locked

Irt Comments Concerns Post your Comments Concern Here

#31 User is offline   Neonraver247 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 9839

Posted 19 May 2008 - 02:20 PM

I don't have something specific that happened to me, but a couple friends of mine had some issues with IRT that I believe were very inappropriate. It seems that IRT was very found of screaming explatives at people who around the Masquarade. As an attendee, if anyone where to scream "GET OUT OF THE F***ING WAY!!" at the top of their lungs, I think IRT might com over and see them. As it is, I would like to bring this kind of thing out into the open because it seems VERY unprofessional to have security acting this way. I hope for next year IRT is briefed alittle better on civil behavior.
ACEN 2010:
Friday: Lolita w/ dolls in tow
Saturday: Vergil (DMC)
Sunday: Idk... Vergil or lolita. Whichever one I feel is less work lol.

#32 User is offline   Tanwyn 

• Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 18061

Posted 19 May 2008 - 03:20 PM

This isn't so much a question or concern as it is a huge compliment. I would like to give a huge shout out to Medic 6. He responded to an issue in the Reg line quickly and professionally. He made an otherwise frustrating experience somewhat more bearable by his quick, professional and caring response to an injured con goer.

#33 User is offline   Ghost Fighter 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Purge for Inactivity
  • Member No.: 9370

Posted 19 May 2008 - 06:35 PM

I've been going to ACEN for a great many years and noticed a change in demeanor when Security became IRT and was given those vests. They really seem to think they have some sort of actual law authority in where they can use intimidation as a normal tactic or just act dickish because they can.

If you ask me, I think IRT should be disbanded and we should go back to plain old Security with T-shirts and no pseudo-military crap.

#34 User is offline   Rini 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 17020

Posted 19 May 2008 - 06:38 PM

IRT are my heroes.
Especially at whoever was the one who made the see through panties girls put on jeans!

I dunno why they got in trouble friday, then tried to pull the stunt again saturday -.-
<(^_^)> Rewr :3

#35 User is offline   Kasin 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 13139

Posted 19 May 2008 - 08:19 PM

View Postrini, on May 19 2008, 07:38 PM, said:

IRT are my heroes.
Especially at whoever was the one who made the see through panties girls put on jeans!

I dunno why they got in trouble friday, then tried to pull the stunt again saturday -.-

who had on see thru panties?
Anime: hell girl, & trigun. Manga: Soul eater. / Games: Dragon Age, DCUO, batman, & soulsilver.i'm a rini fan boypokemon friend code: 2836 0346 5412 battle anytime, need to get my gold/silver code. wii code: 0061 4530 7677 7629. XBL: hitherkasin & PSN ID: kasin13in 2011 i will be cosplaying as gene starwind & kouga, also w/ my daughter we will do pokemon trainer red/ash & eevee/pikachu. in 2012 we will do hit girl & big daddy, also mini moon & tuxedo mask. in 2013 we will do wizardmon & kari with a gatomon plushie (ty teko!) also mystic gohan & pan. I will also do green ranger some day.

#36 User is offline   Eleutherophobia 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 18291

Posted 19 May 2008 - 09:49 PM

This was my fourth ACen, and I've never had a problem with IRT/Security, but I did notice a glaring lack of unity this year. I don't know if it was just a lack of communication, or the fact that this is volunteer based, or what, but a few of the IRT members I spoke with didn't always have the best opinion when it came to other IRT members. Friday night, I was standing outside the washroom with my 3'10" beam katana, and a few friends' bags while they freshened up, and understandably, an IRT (super nice guy, wish I had caught his name) member came up to me to have my prop checked. I asked him if we could wait a moment while my friends finished up, and he politely waited with me, talking about past cons and games and such. During this, however, he did mention that people had been throwing things off of the upper balconies, and a lot of IRT staff was already pretty stressed, and that he'd rather check my weapon now, than have some already pissed-off IRT bite my head off (not his words).

In line for the Masquerade, a rather loud-mouthed member screamed at me that no props were to be allowed inside, and that I had to put it in my room. When I opened my mouth to tell him that I had driven to ACen, he bolted away, and a moment later, another IRT told me that there would be a pile by the door, and it wouldn't be any problem. The IRT by the door passed with flying colors, allowing me to place it near the wall, away from the pile of Yaoi paddles, since it was somewhat fragile. But while waiting in line, or rather, trying to find the start of line C, an older IRT member that I asked "Hey, is this the end of B, or can we start C here?" shrugged, and commented along the lines of "Let's just say that the people in charge really don't know what they're doing." Not his exact words, but darn close.

So, I have no problems with the IRT staff, you have done a dynamite job, in my experience. But perhaps a bit more planning for worst-cases before each individual part of the con may do some good, not only to keep staff better prepared, but to keep them all on the same page, and not commenting about other members' performance. Thanks!
Past Costumes:
ACen 2004: Spike Spiegel (Cowboy Bebop)
ACen 2005 Gippal (Final Fantasy X-2)
ACen 2006 Albert Wesker (Resident Evil: GameCube Vers.)
ACen 2008 Travis Touchdown (No More Heroes)
ACen 2010 The Red Spy (Team Fortress 2)

#37 User is offline   mini godzilla 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 9959

Posted 19 May 2008 - 09:59 PM

I've usually never had a problem with irt but this year it seemed like you guys put them through combat training or some stupid crap like that.
They put on the vests and therefore think they have the authority to act like jerks to everyone we had one chick screaming at us basically because we had asked her a question and irt's chasing us because of some stupid leaf incident.

You need to do pysch. evals or something before you pick some people to be irt although a few I met were nice.
So pats on the back to them.
SELLING
Everything from posters, wall scrolls, games, manga, clothes, jrock magazines, etc for cheap
click HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#38 User is offline   tweaker 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 6642

Posted 19 May 2008 - 10:06 PM

IRT did a pretty good job this year.

The only complaint someone could have is that IRT members didn't all ways know where stuff was going on or where. I suggest having some more interaction between customer service and IRT. If you are not near a customer service booth, you're gonna ask the closest IRT member you find.

The only other complaint I can think of is not monitoring under age kids during soap bubble. I saw a few pre-teens kids walking around soap bubble past midnight.

#39 User is offline   CuteButDeadly 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 693

Posted 19 May 2008 - 10:07 PM

First of all I CuteButDeadly would like to compliment the few very nice IRT members who helped me. Thanks to the guy who lead me to the correct line on Friday, and to the guy who helped me find the Art of Animation panel, whom I noticed was later preventing people from getting hit by cars, and to the IRT member who went after the guy who pored soda off one of the balconies. Now for the gripe, as written by my boyfriend because I wasnít with him when it happened.

Who: Stopped by two IRT members one male one female. Female was a brunette kind of pudgy about 5í 6Ē. Male average height and build about 5í8Ē with dark hair kind of long.
What: Went out to the car to retrieve plastic cups, I was walking back to my hotel (not a con hotel) when I was stopped buy the two IRT members described above for caring said cups. Was questioned why I had cups and if I had been drinking. I said I had cups to drink liquids out of and that yes I had been drinking and that I was twenty-five. They didnít believe I was of age and hassled me until I produced my ID. And then continued to question me about where I was staying. I responded by saying that I wasnít staying in the Hyatt and thatís where they should be and they told me I was being inappropriate to which I said I think your being inappropriate. I then walked away from them and toward my hotel and was watched by the two of them until I was out of sight. And the thing that gets me is I wasnít even wearing a badge, they had no way of knowing I wasnít with any of the other events going on over the weekend. I was dressed much nicer than most anime con goers in a polo and nice designer jeans, I didnít have anything on that would indicate I was an ACen attendee.
Where: The parking garage of the Double Tree/Embassy Suites
When: Friday night/Saturday morning at about 1:30 - 2ish in the morning.
How: There was no issue or incident to respond or hassle me about. I was caring cups and minding my own business walking through a parking garage thatís used by the public. Although I had been drinking I wasnít drunk there was no reason to suspect I was doing anything wrong, nor do I feel they should have been patrolling a the parking garage, that wasnít specifically being used by the convention. There was no way of knowing if I was a con attendee and really had no right to ask me any of the things they did, they never confirmed I was a con attendee. I find the incident more bafuzaling than anything but to make up for the inconvenient it caused me and the worry it caused CuteButDeadly (she was worried about why it had taken so long to bring the cups to the room, and thought I might have gotten hit by a car) I must ask that I be compensated in the form of a super possible Rei figure.

#40 User is offline   davebb 

• EMRT
  • PipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 11282

Posted 19 May 2008 - 10:19 PM

The vests are needed. Especially for a way to hold essentials... Glowsticks, pad of paper, and pen and flashlight, radio, mic
Then for us medics we included penlight, scissors, BSI items. Also the callsign/nametags are used to identify us. Both on the radio, and for congoers. are you goign to remember a name like Dave when there can be like 4 daves or last names which some can't even be spelled. Also some people don't want others to learn their last name, and figure out the first name... Its easier to remember MEDIC 6 since for us medical staff, you know whos medical.
So the vests are VERY multipurpose. AND how funny would it be for a normal congoer to have "SECURITY" on the back of a Tshirt. It helps to make sure we are unique from other congoers. Sure there are congoers with the tactical vests too but much less of them, and they don't have ACEN logos on it.
Believe it or not I've utilized everypocket of that tac vest.
About IRT, a few are bad apples, but when a complaint is brought up, the supervisor mediates the problem right away. I can testify that it does. No one this year knew I was a first year IRT/EMRT. But by presenting a good attitude towards the con and not act like a kid, people respected me and my covolunteers thought I been working it a long time.
By presenting the nice manners, for example we ahd people sitting on the stairs between concenter and its lobby. I had to request them to leave, because it is a fire hazard because that door is a primary egress route. Anyways enough ranting, time for bed. :)

View Postmini godzilla, on May 19 2008, 10:59 PM, said:

I've usually never had a problem with irt but this year it seemed like you guys put them through combat training or some stupid crap like that.
They put on the vests and therefore think they have the authority to act like jerks to everyone we had one chick screaming at us basically because we had asked her a question and irt's chasing us because of some stupid leaf incident.

You need to do pysch. evals or something before you pick some people to be irt although a few I met were nice.
So pats on the back to them.

Medic 6 : ACen 2014 EMRT ConCenter Supervisor (serving since 2008)
Dave Bukowski -- NREMT-B
EMT-B / EMA
"ask not what ACen can do for you--ask what you can do for ACen"

#41 User is offline   Fairy Hime 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 2079

Posted 19 May 2008 - 10:43 PM

Who: He had a fox tail and I think ears too. He had short hair, I think it was blond.
What: I'd just like to compliment him on line control. He was so friendly and nice. When the line needed to be rearranged because there were so many people in it he took the part that needed to be moved and started a conga line to move them. It was absolute genius and I know he got quite a few fangirls in the process too (myself included although I think he's a bit young for me :P).
Where: The Hyatt parking lot right outside exhibit hall H.
When: Saturday night at 9:30ish. It was for the Whose Line is it Anime panel
How: I don't need it resolved. I just think you guys should know how great he was.
Acen '10 Cosplays: Yukari from Paradise Kiss and maybe a CD Belly Dancer
Acen Pictures: '06, '07

"Always put off the unpleasant things until tomorrow because you could die today and never have to deal with them."[/color]

#42 User is offline   CuteButDeadly 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 19 May 2008 - 10:52 PM

View Postsentinel28a, on May 19 2008, 03:40 PM, said:

Two other incidents I personally witnessed: a friend of mine was out having a smoke when he was accosted by a female IRT worker who was short and heavyset. She asked nastily what he was drinking. My friend did not have anything remotely resembling a bottle or a can near him. She then demanded--not asked, demanded--what he was smoking. Any fool could plainly see that he was smoking a cigarette, or at the very least, smell that he was smoking a cigarette. Understandably, my friend was rather upset about the matter and invited the IRT staffer to kiss a certain part of his anatomy--and frankly, he was in the right to do so. Having worked security myself, you can and should be more professional than looking for trouble where none exists.

This incident and the disscription of the IRT member seems a lot like the incident that my boyfriend ran into.

#43 User is offline   Winry 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 17279

Posted 19 May 2008 - 11:03 PM

Ive got to agree with who ever brought up the IRT with fake guns issue. This gives off the wrong impression. Now Ive been going to acen for a few years now and I respect the IRT and never give them a reason to hassle me. But seriously some of these guys stalked around the con like army personal with guns and then when real security issues came up they were no where to be found. But I worry about the newbie con goers. Acen is a BIG BIG con and I understand that IRT works hard to try and handle crowd control but this toteing around of fake guns sends this message.

"Put one toe out of line or breath wrong and I'll really get you good"

Just seems a little intimidating to me...

#44 User is offline   Neon Lotus 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 9500

Posted 19 May 2008 - 11:49 PM

Who, What, Where, When, How doesn't quite apply for my comment... just an overall observation.

IRT had their good and bad points... some IRT were very nice to me. I broke a rule unknowingly, and they talked to me calmly and let me go with a warning. From then on they would joke around with me about if I was behaving myself. Also, they were helpful when I lost my state ID, and when my boyfriend needed a band-aid. lol.

But then... you saw the IRTs that were VERY rude. Unnecessarily rude, actually. They could have been a lot nicer, and gotten things done without upsetting people. Also, I saw many con-goers (that I noticed didn't have their badges visible or anything to show they were at ACEN, and not just a normal guest at the Hyatt) get yelled at or questioned by IRT. I just want to suggest that IRT be careful about that, because you may actually mess with a hotel guest rather than a con-goer and get yourself a problem that could have been avoided by not letting your "power" go to your head.

But overall, great job IRT! You guys were great!
My name is Sarah. A.K.A. Sari, Nelo, Poptart...

Cosplay at ACEN 2008:
Ritsuka (Loveless)

Did you see/meet/photograph me??? THIS IS ME.

Future Cosplay Hopes/Plans:
Ran (Texhnolyze)
Karin (Chibi Vampire)
Sonic the Hedgehog
Rukia (Bleach)

#45 User is offline   Oak Prince 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 11362

Posted 20 May 2008 - 12:03 AM

A minor complaint compared to some of the others:

The way they'd be constantly checking the video rooms for sleeping people. It just struck me as odd that there were two guys in every video room inspecting us(one guy leaned really close to my face XD) every few minutes while there were only 3-4 people at the cash registers when I registered. :P But seriously, once every 15-20 minutes would have been enough.

#46 User is offline   Unka Josh 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 13162

Posted 20 May 2008 - 12:17 AM

Sorry. I was probably one of 'em, I'm afraid, and some of my staff do them, too.

(Yes, it's me and mine as well as IRT that do the checks. I try to be polite about it, but I cannot let people sleep in the video rooms.)

What often happens is that I, or one of my team, check the room for sleepers, and then five minutes later, IRT comes along and does the same thing. I apologize if we disturbed you in the course of these checks.

(Unless we disturbed you by waking you up, of course.... ;) )
There is a slight flaw in my character.

#47 User is offline   GameAngel64 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 11251

Posted 20 May 2008 - 12:35 AM

I don't really have specific stories to tell or names to name, but in light of all the IRT complaints (and I'm not questioning the validity of these complaints), I just wanted to note that I found many of the IRT staff to be polite and helpful. Some people seemed on edge, kind of defensive, almost like they were expecting trouble, but otherwise I had no problems.

#48 User is offline   Magickroll 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 16902

Posted 20 May 2008 - 01:04 AM

WHO: Female IRT wearing a bandana
WHEN: Saturday, 2:30
WHERE: Halcali concert

At the door showed my badge to the person there, no problem. Walked in and was standing in the middle trying to figure out where to sit and was approached by Bandana IRT Lady. First she said something to my daughter which I couldn't hear (it was a concert!). I asked her to repeat and she said we had to leave because we had cameras. My daughter had hers hanging from her wrist and mine was around my neck, lenscap on. Neither of us was trying to take pictures. Nowhere was it posted "no cameras". Someone said it was on the ticket but we didn't have tickets, just walked in. So I ask IRT if there is somewhere I can put my camera or what her suggestion is? She (rudely) says to put it in my car. I'm parked at Embassy Suites, by the time I get there the concert will be over. How about something more realistic? She just (rudely) made us leave. My daughter was so mad she wouldn't go back in. I just put my camera in my pocket and walked back in. I have no problem with a no camera rule but it needs to be posted. And telling someone to put their camera in their car is unreasonable. I would've happily left my camera with the nice guy at the front door. Bandana lady didn't need to be rude, we weren't taking photos and we weren't a problem. All it takes is one bad incident to give a sour feeling. Maybe in future training some time needs to be focused on customer service.

#49 User is offline   cactusmomma 

• Costume Events Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 3528

Posted 20 May 2008 - 01:35 AM

Who: A good massive chunk of IRT during the night shift.

Where: Guest green room and throughout the Hyatt

I just wanted to thank all of you for the work you did this weekend. From making sure we had no problems in the green room to dealing with the -extra- drunk people in the lobby, you guys freaking rocked.

Taz, I hope you actually got some SLEEP this weekend SOMETIME.

I know a majority of the guests had said that this was the best con for security and I absolutely must agree. Everything I had seen and heard about was handled in a timely and mostly professional manner.

#50 User is offline   ExentricSage 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 976

Posted 20 May 2008 - 02:08 AM

View Postrondo, on May 16 2007, 03:54 AM, said:

Who: From what I can tell, the entire IRT staff is a safe callout.

What: A general lack of knowledge of what was going on. For the Friday morning registration, I can't count all of the different explanations of line forming and what was for what. The Friday morning registration mass was poorly handled and was not taken care of until Saturday it seems (the queueing lines in the main lobby for reg and pre-reg should have already been setup the night before). I hate trying to help other congoers with questions when I can't provide them an accurate answer...and neither could the IRT member. Most info came from others in lines..which in a couple cases, they were misinformed as well.

Where & When: Everywhere, though one particularly was Friday morning registration.

How to fix it: Well, I believe communications between the rest of the con and the IRT needs to be better. The IRT needs to know just about everything that is going on with the con, as well as being kept updated promptly on changes. If anything, if the IRT doesn't know the answer to many of the questions, instead of trying to answer them or giving the "I'm not sure" answer, have IRT members direct those type of inquiries to convention information booths in the con without as much as a second thought.

Good job on doing your best handling the insanity.

As a long time gofer, I think this is a misconception. IRT are suposed to enforce rules. They technicaly are NOT customer service reps nor event planers. I think the IRT are being asked to pick up too much slack for other departments, and that tasks that are departmentless often fall upon them when it's too serious to place a gofer in charge of.

A way to remedy this would be to form a new department called Crowd Control and Line Management to deal with designing line layouts, setting up the lines, monitoring lines, and even entertaining the people in line and fielding questions about the event when necasary. I think that would take a lot of weight off the IRT's shoulders.

Then, for big lines, we could have fewer IRT getting stressed out... they'll be able to do their jobs better if they are responding to incidents instead of doing QandA and babysiting the line, etc.

I'm curious if the IRT think this would help them. They are realy over worked. I just wanted to say something because it bothers me to see so much put on them.

Mug Paris

#51 User is offline   ExentricSage 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 20 May 2008 - 02:15 AM

View PostWinry, on May 20 2008, 05:03 AM, said:

Ive got to agree with who ever brought up the IRT with fake guns issue. This gives off the wrong impression. Now Ive been going to acen for a few years now and I respect the IRT and never give them a reason to hassle me. But seriously some of these guys stalked around the con like army personal with guns and then when real security issues came up they were no where to be found. But I worry about the newbie con goers. Acen is a BIG BIG con and I understand that IRT works hard to try and handle crowd control but this toteing around of fake guns sends this message.

(Sorry about replying twice in a row... ^^; )

I actualy have to disagree with this person. I think it's hilarious that they cary prop weapons and even dress in costumes sometimes. Furthermore, I don't think it's bad for them to look intimidating. Sometimes these guys actualy have to deal with violent confrontations or people sneeking in live steel. I hope they scare the piss out of anyone who's causing trouble. ;) Pluss, I find it rather charming. Their bad butt image kind of makes me want to join IRT.

Mug Paris

#52 User is offline   Dogao 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 18531

Posted 20 May 2008 - 02:19 AM

Posting on behalf of my boyfriend, first and LAST-time congoer. :(

WHERE/ WHEN: the line outside the Soap Bubble, in the part where you were actually inside the building. don't remember the time :(
WHO: Don't know name, but cosplaying as Mario. Rather large. We called him When Mario Ate Luigi, if that's any help to you in any way.
WHAT: We were in line. Once we were inside the building, I had to go to the bathroom. I ran and came back. Friends let me back into line, no problem. Groovy.
Ten minutes later, my boyfriend had to go to bathroom. He ran and TRIED to come back, but only got halfway before he was shrieked at by aforementioned IRT Gestapo that he couldn't go back near the part of the line we were in, and had to go outside to the end of the line (in the rain) RIGHT NOW.
Even though I, still in line, had his phone.
And his car keys.
And his room keys.
And his $%#&ing JACKET.
So your staffmember KNOWINGLY sent my boyfriend out into the rain without any way to contact friends or anywhere to go, or even HIS COAT. (Fortunately he was able to sneak into the hotel computer lab, and when he logged on to his cell phone account, the live-chat help staff of TMobile.com helped him send me a text message from their website, so I could come and rescue him from your "operative.") This is inexcuseable.

HOW: Get him the hell off your staff. You are so very lucky that this happened to my boyfriend and not me, because he's a whole lot nicer. MY next step would have been marching straight to the nearest phone and dialing 911, and then you could have spent the night trying to explain to the Rosemont Police why you were holding a person's property hostage.

Common sense would dictate that your IRT guy walk the 60 feet to where I was standing, and the 437 people who had been standing next to us for the last hour could have vouched for him.

Really, I can't think of a way this could have been handled worse. Seriously, who DOES that? Isn't there a personality test you can give these people? Something like "A CONGOER IS STRANDED WITHOUT ANY MEANS OF COMMUNICATION, TRANSPORTATION, OR SAFETY, DO YOU A ) HELP HIM, OR B ) THREATEN HIM AND PUT HIM AT RISK OF HYPOTHERMIA?" and if they answer B tell them you're not interested but really, thanks for applying.

Kudos to the Help Desk staffer we found soon after, who has the brain activity to think "hmmm, five happy people INSIDE the dance is better than five angry people shrieking at me OUTSIDE the dance!" and walked us past the IRT people - he is the ONLY reason I will be coming back next year. THESE ARE THE PEOPLE YOU NEED TO HIRE.

The insane-with-power kind is going to get you sued.

#53 User is offline   tenshi 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 5869

Posted 20 May 2008 - 02:43 AM

Who: irish
What: line getting into the masquerade was ill organized. irt at the door kept wanting people to move back so the doorway was clear, but there was no where for us to go. people in front kept yelling to move back, but you couldn't. irish came up and asked the people at the very back of the line to back up and then there was room for the rest of us to move. i don't know why it took so long for someone in irt to figure it out, but i'm glad irish did and he did it without yelling at people or threatening to pull people out of line if they didn't move. i don't know how many times i heard this heavy set irt guy say," the next person who doesn't move is getting yanked out of line."
Where: outside hyatt
When: saturday 5pm
member of the shy otaku syndicate

Don't sacrifice your dreams for the illusion of security. There is no security. Realize there is no security and become comfortable with that. It will free you up to do what you really need to do.
-- Kabuki: The Alchemy #4
Plushie Guardian Alliance member

#54 User is offline   Bunni 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 16852

Posted 20 May 2008 - 03:17 AM

View PostMagickroll, on May 20 2008, 02:04 AM, said:

WHO: Female IRT wearing a bandana
WHEN: Saturday, 2:30
WHERE: Halcali concert

At the door showed my badge to the person there, no problem. Walked in and was standing in the middle trying to figure out where to sit and was approached by Bandana IRT Lady. First she said something to my daughter which I couldn't hear (it was a concert!). I asked her to repeat and she said we had to leave because we had cameras. My daughter had hers hanging from her wrist and mine was around my neck, lenscap on. Neither of us was trying to take pictures. Nowhere was it posted "no cameras". Someone said it was on the ticket but we didn't have tickets, just walked in. So I ask IRT if there is somewhere I can put my camera or what her suggestion is? She (rudely) says to put it in my car. I'm parked at Embassy Suites, by the time I get there the concert will be over. How about something more realistic? She just (rudely) made us leave. My daughter was so mad she wouldn't go back in. I just put my camera in my pocket and walked back in. I have no problem with a no camera rule but it needs to be posted. And telling someone to put their camera in their car is unreasonable. I would've happily left my camera with the nice guy at the front door. Bandana lady didn't need to be rude, we weren't taking photos and we weren't a problem. All it takes is one bad incident to give a sour feeling. Maybe in future training some time needs to be focused on customer service.

Unfortunate circumstance and we are sorry for the inconvenience, but just as it falls upon the IRT staff to enforce the rules so must the con goer read and abide by the rules. In the rules section on the website for concerts, on page 5 of your program pocket guide, and on the ticket itself is a rule: No Cameras recording devices or cell phone cameras allowed. This is not a rule we like but it goes way over our head to the SONY Legal department so there is no option but to fully enforce it. Hope you had a good time at the rest of con.
Acen 2000 - Gofer
Acen 2001 - Gofer
Acen 2002 - Gofer
Acen 2003 - Gofer
Acen 2004 - Regular Congoer
Acen 2005 - Regular Congoer
Acen 2006 - Gofer and IRT Gofer
Acen 2007 - Gofer Garrisoned IRT Midshift Nightshift & Dayshift
Acen 2008 - IRT Midshift & Garrisoned Dance
Acen 2009 - IRT Dance & Nightshift
Acen 2010 - IRT Nightshift and Guest Escort.

#55 User is offline   Bunni 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 16852

Posted 20 May 2008 - 04:05 AM

View PostExentricSage, on May 20 2008, 03:15 AM, said:

(Sorry about replying twice in a row... ^^; )

I actualy have to disagree with this person. I think it's hilarious that they cary prop weapons and even dress in costumes sometimes. Furthermore, I don't think it's bad for them to look intimidating. Sometimes these guys actualy have to deal with violent confrontations or people sneeking in live steel. I hope they scare the piss out of anyone who's causing trouble. ;) Pluss, I find it rather charming. Their bad butt image kind of makes me want to join IRT.

IRT is not looking to intimidate at all. IRT Ops, being the type of people that volenteer without any pay to keep 16,800+ people SAFE and hopefully happy, can often times look rather larger or intimidating but we are here for you guys. Many IRT work professional job as security, police officers, ambulance drivers, EMTs, bouncers, bodyguards ect. Belive it or not we come to con for Fun.

But I will say having a slight advantage of intimidation works well when some random idiot is swinging live steal around in the dealer room and you have to get in his face and fast before someone gets hurt. Imagine just for a moment you have to confront an ARMED person with a deadly weapon swinging it carelessly in large random arches not knowing his intent psychological state or stupidity. While your talking to this individual his friends gather in a circle around you and your one partner and the man refuses to let you see his weapon or put it away. What might you do? Well these are exact situations that are encountered. Everyone may have thought i was rude at a point but I got the individual to put the sword away and walked him out to put it in his car. No one was injured besides bruised egos and at the end i gave him a sucker for complying.

We are not here on a power trip. Some bad apples are abound but we weed them out thursday and friday early in the con. Without IRT there wouldn't be a con. We are volenteers we aren't payed. Rosemont being pretty much a union area would cost well over $10 an hour per OP 16,800+ people means 168 ops min. about 50 ops a shift so $500 an hour from thursday at noon till sunday at 8pm. Calculate that number not counting overtime for the people who make up for the kickoffs and dropouts awalls, no shows and more often Injuries and forced bed rest after physical exhaustion made them collapse have asthmatic fits or faint. No workers comp in IRT nor would we sue because of these situations. There is no non-profit anime con that can swing that number even close, and thats not counting medical staff or dispatch equipment. Imagine paying a 24 hour on call doctor and a group of EMTs from one of the local hospitals. Thats probably as much as the security budget.

Besides being in a union facility they would insist using their employees, who in Rosemont happen to be actual police officers. Now in IL having in your possession for any reason a knife sword bludgeon( bokken, bats, pipes, staff, rod, hammer, monkey wrench ect) will earn you an immediate ride to jail where they will begin questioning you and permanent confiscation of the weapon (for all you who wanted to look at it out of the box after you bought it but before you got to your room).

At times Rosemont PD was in and around the hotel fortunately for alot of individuals we caught them with open containers of alcohol we had you take it to your room. Unfortunately for a few like i witnessed saturday night the Police find public drinking a serious offense in the presence of minors. The fines that man had to pay were rediculous and when i talked to him he said to me "I wish you had gotten to me first." I was off duty at the time but i still went over to show him some compassion because as rude as IRT gets in worst case events if we talked like the officer wed never be allowed back.

On a final note, hey we love you guys thats why we are here so read your rules and follow em to return the love.
Acen 2000 - Gofer
Acen 2001 - Gofer
Acen 2002 - Gofer
Acen 2003 - Gofer
Acen 2004 - Regular Congoer
Acen 2005 - Regular Congoer
Acen 2006 - Gofer and IRT Gofer
Acen 2007 - Gofer Garrisoned IRT Midshift Nightshift & Dayshift
Acen 2008 - IRT Midshift & Garrisoned Dance
Acen 2009 - IRT Dance & Nightshift
Acen 2010 - IRT Nightshift and Guest Escort.

#56 User is offline   davebb 

• EMRT
  • PipPip

Posted 20 May 2008 - 05:36 AM

Thank you Tanwyn. Since I don't have names matched with screennames on here, nor do I have my paperwork, its all being filed for legal purposes. What day and type of call was it? Glad I could help :)

View PostTanwyn, on May 19 2008, 04:20 PM, said:

This isn't so much a question or concern as it is a huge compliment. I would like to give a huge shout out to Medic 6. He responded to an issue in the Reg line quickly and professionally. He made an otherwise frustrating experience somewhat more bearable by his quick, professional and caring response to an injured con goer.

Dave Bukowski -- NREMT-B
EMT-B / EMA

#57 User is offline   jsieczkar 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 17116

Posted 20 May 2008 - 06:18 AM

View Postdavebb, on May 20 2008, 12:19 AM, said:

The vests are needed. Especially for a way to hold essentials... Glowsticks, pad of paper, and pen and flashlight, radio, mic
Then for us medics we included penlight, scissors, BSI items. Also the callsign/nametags are used to identify us. Both on the radio, and for congoers. are you goign to remember a name like Dave when there can be like 4 daves or last names which some can't even be spelled. Also some people don't want others to learn their last name, and figure out the first name... Its easier to remember MEDIC 6 since for us medical staff, you know whos medical.
So the vests are VERY multipurpose. AND how funny would it be for a normal congoer to have "SECURITY" on the back of a Tshirt. It helps to make sure we are unique from other congoers. Sure there are congoers with the tactical vests too but much less of them, and they don't have ACEN logos on it.
Believe it or not I've utilized everypocket of that tac vest.
About IRT, a few are bad apples, but when a complaint is brought up, the supervisor mediates the problem right away. I can testify that it does. No one this year knew I was a first year IRT/EMRT. But by presenting a good attitude towards the con and not act like a kid, people respected me and my covolunteers thought I been working it a long time.
By presenting the nice manners, for example we ahd people sitting on the stairs between concenter and its lobby. I had to request them to leave, because it is a fire hazard because that door is a primary egress route. Anyways enough ranting, time for bed. :)

Ok, the vest makes sense even more so for the EMTs I'm a volunteer Firefighter and I know how much stuff you carry.

View PostWinry, on May 20 2008, 01:03 AM, said:

Agree it is unneeded and unprofessional. I worked security for many events most of which were larger then Acen wearing grey slacks, white shirt and a grey blazer. People listened to us just fine, everyone knew you deal with us or the cops who are on the other end of the radio.
2008-2009 IRT - Callsign JR
2010 IRT Dispatch - Callsign JR
2011-Present Industry Relations Manager

#58 User is offline   CuteButDeadly 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 20 May 2008 - 06:35 AM

About the fake guns thing, I was pretty sure that in past years projectile weapons of any kind where not allowed to be flashed about. I was always under the impression that if you bought an airsoft gun in the dealers room that you must take it to your hotel room, car, ect. I always thought the same rules applied to airsoft guns as swords and other items that are/could be used as weapons. Thats why I found it a little odd that IRT members had them on there persons. I also just in general think that caring around an airsoft gun in a large crowd of people is just asking for trouble. Not everyone knows that is fake gun. Some of you may recall a couple incidents in Chicago and around Rosemont where police shot and killed people running around with arisoft guns. Also its not uncommon for people to be robbed/mugged by people caring airsoft guns in my neigborhood. I just don't think its a wise choice and there should probably be a rule made about it.

#59 User is offline   davebb 

• EMRT
  • PipPip

Posted 20 May 2008 - 06:53 AM

About the guns are you sure there were IRT ops carrying them? Or was it a cosplay they had under their vest? Also was it someone else wearing a Tac vest the same color as IRT. If it was IRT be sure to get the name on the badge or the callsign on the vest.
Dave Bukowski -- NREMT-B
EMT-B / EMA

#60 User is offline   ExentricSage 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 20 May 2008 - 06:55 AM

View Postjsieczkar, on May 20 2008, 12:18 PM, said:

Ok, the vest makes sense even more so for the EMTs I'm a volunteer Firefighter and I know how much stuff you carry.

Agree it is unneeded and unprofessional. I worked security for many events most of which were larger then Acen wearing grey slacks, white shirt and a grey blazer. People listened to us just fine, everyone knew you deal with us or the cops who are on the other end of the radio.

You have to remember that the IRT are working for free, and are doing it for fun. I say let the IRT have their fun! Realy, letting them dress up like that and carry fake weapons is a small thing to ask in return for all the hard work they do. This is an anime convention, and a not for profit one at that.... I think people are getting a little to concerned over 'profesionalism'. These people should be allowed to be themselves, not forced to abide by some standardised ideal of what looks 'profesional'. And realy, as a service worker myself, I like the unprofesional, personal, real side of the con staff. I'm so sick of pc nicey nice, kiss the customer's butt BS I have to deal with in my life. Let the con be a last frontear of organised chaos and real people acting rediculous for the fun of it.

Mug Paris

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users