• This topic is locked

I Want My Badge!

#31 User is offline   DJFLuFFKiNS 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 745

Posted 29 April 2007 - 10:17 AM

It's all good and such. What I think is the bigger problem is that when identifying the badge by visual inspection we'd have to be able to spot it. Something embossed in the traditional seal fashion are harder to verify via visual (10ftish) inspection. Usually you'll need to go with something fairly holographic even that is hard to distinguish. Most counterfeits will be easily verified if we have the badge in our hands to check out. But it rarely is that straightforward when identifying them.
Sam Chen - Email me

ACen 2011 - Vice Chair
ACen 2008 - 2010 - Guest Relations - Assistant Section Chief (Industry Liaison in 2009, Programming Liaison in 2008)
ACen 2005 - 2007 - Panel Programming - Department Head (ADH in 2005)
ACen 2002 - 2005 - Live Programming - Staff

Follow me on Twitter: djfluffkins

#32 User is offline   kahad 

• Panel Programming Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 532

Posted 29 April 2007 - 10:27 AM

View Postriversoblood, on Apr 28 2007, 03:46 PM, said:

Here it is, two weeks from the con and I haven't seen anyone get their badge yet.

Keep in mind that the number of Forum Regulars is pretty small compared to the number of people that attend the con.

The Board Statistics says that we have 6,790 members. However, this number includes spam accounts, people advertising their anime con/webpage/etc.

I would take a wild guess and say that the number of Forum Regulars is less than 1% of the number of people that attend the con.
K-chan (nickname given by ngsilver)
Are YOU on my grilling list??? (Updated 9-26-2008)
Master Chef of the Great Otaku Army and Spam Squad member!!!
AMV Staff ACen 2005-2007, Panel Programming Staff ACen 2008-2012 :)
Maho! - not just a saying, a way of life.

#33 User is offline   ChasingSirens 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 10090

Posted 29 April 2007 - 10:39 AM

sammy-45 said:

last 300 or so of 5,000 pre-regs that need to go out.

So just to verify, does this mean pre registrations that need to be confirmed (with an e-mail) or pre registrations that have already been confirmed and just need to be turned into badges and stuffed into an envolope?

#34 User is offline   DJFLuFFKiNS 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 April 2007 - 10:43 AM

It means the last 300 that need to be packaged and sent (requested badge mailing and had payment received)
Sam Chen - Email me

ACen 2011 - Vice Chair
ACen 2008 - 2010 - Guest Relations - Assistant Section Chief (Industry Liaison in 2009, Programming Liaison in 2008)

#35 User is offline   `Aygen` 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 4646

Posted 29 April 2007 - 10:44 AM

And unfortunatly, due to moors law (I think) ... They've been recieving THEIR badges, but we've seen neither hide nor hare of ours.

Edit: Because I post slow, I was refereing to Kahad's post.

日の出では、大麻が舞う そこでラム酒を1パイントを上げると別のガブ飲みする モルガン船長の呪いこの運命に導いている
ない恐れがあるので、ドントルックバック 来世を待って!

_,.=+-~'"`^*^`"'~-+=.,_,.=+-~'"`^*^`"'~-+=.,_
Wii Code - 3597 5584 7250 3042
Xbox Live Tag - Kohato

_,.=+-~'"`^*^`"'~-+=.,_,.=+-~'"`^*^`"'~-+=.,_

#36 User is offline   DJFLuFFKiNS 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 April 2007 - 10:47 AM

View Postkahad, on Apr 29 2007, 12:27 PM, said:

Keep in mind that the number of Forum Regulars is pretty small compared to the number of people that attend the con.

The Board Statistics says that we have 6,790 members. However, this number includes spam accounts, people advertising their anime con/webpage/etc.

I would take a wild guess and say that the number of Forum Regulard is less than 1% of the number of people that attend the con.

I would guess it's more than 1%. At our last year reg numbers 11,500... 1% is 115. Even if we hit 15,000, it's still 150. I would guess at least 2-3%. But with as many groups as we have, if your friend got it, you'd find out, and at least announce it on the forum.
Sam Chen - Email me

ACen 2011 - Vice Chair

#37 User is offline   kahad 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 532

Posted 29 April 2007 - 11:54 AM

I figured my number was off. I can't do math while sick.
K-chan (nickname given by ngsilver)
Are YOU on my grilling list??? (Updated 9-26-2008)
Master Chef of the Great Otaku Army and Spam Squad member!!!
AMV Staff ACen 2005-2007, Panel Programming Staff ACen 2008-2012 :)
Maho! - not just a saying, a way of life.

#38 User is offline   DJFLuFFKiNS 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 April 2007 - 01:08 PM

OR EVERRRRRRR ;) jk
Sam Chen - Email me

ACen 2011 - Vice Chair

#39 User is offline   Amunet 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 4411

Posted 29 April 2007 - 02:09 PM

EW math *shudder*

How about a sticker? You know those special stickers that companies have to show that they's been around for "50 Years", "70 Years" "75 Years" "100 Years!" ... etc. Those are usually made to order and you design it yourself ... therefore, no one can copy it.

Or you can have a barcode on the back of em (a little one maybe?) or a magnetic strip (like on credit cards) and scan them before you send em out. That way it's already in the computer and so if someone tries to copy it, you can verify or something.

Course ... that would require all mailed in people to have it scanned at the hotel ^^: Which the whole point was so that they DON"T wait in line.

Mister Fluffy, do you know how we would get the goodie bags if our badges are mailed to us?
♥ Amunet will move to Illinois! Coming Soon ♥
~ Captain of The Glomp Team ~
Official Thread of The Glomp Team ~ Click Here ~
わたしは クリス です。 ^_^

#40 User is offline   meef 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 3767

Posted 29 April 2007 - 05:24 PM

DJFluffkins, THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! I feel much better now. I'll be watching my mailbox like a hawk. ~~Oh post office, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not lose my badge!~~

Amunet, that is a very good question! I am also curious to hear about the goodie bags. O.O

#41 User is offline   DJFLuFFKiNS 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 April 2007 - 05:29 PM

There will be an area in the registration section that will have all the bags with the programs and such ^_^.
Sam Chen - Email me

ACen 2011 - Vice Chair

#42 User is offline   Amunet 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 29 April 2007 - 07:29 PM

View PostDJFLuFFKiNS, on Apr 29 2007, 03:29 PM, said:

There will be an area in the registration section that will have all the bags with the programs and such ^_^.

So we could just flash our badge that we got already and we would get one? Just wanna make sure it's okay ^_^
わたしは クリス です。 ^_^

#43 User is offline   Mako-ko 

• Pip
  • Group: Purge for Inactivity
  • Member No.: 10010

Posted 29 April 2007 - 08:07 PM

I'm one of the many (it would seem) that have not received a badge in the mail. I couldn't tell you if I was in the top mass mailings for April 16th or not.

In actuality, I was almost too afraid to check into this and see what was going on, so I made no attempt to actually research the subject until some time after the initial mailing.

With everything I've read and heard, it's hard for me to sit here and pretend that everything's okay. I also understand where the perspective lies, however. Conventions are hard work and staffing them is too, so it's up to me to assume that everyone there is doing their job.

I suppose until the wire really cuts close, I'll continue to be a good little girl and wait patiently. Should this not work out, however, I hope they will offer some sort of compensation at the convention, itself.
Anime Central 2007
Lilith // Beatmania IIDX // Friday
Warrior Paine // Final Fantasy X-2 // Saturday
Xiao Qiao // Shin Sangoku Musou 4 // Friday

#44 User is offline   iguanajon 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 10602

Post icon  Posted 29 April 2007 - 08:24 PM

View PostMako-ko, on Apr 29 2007, 09:07 PM, said:

I suppose until the wire really cuts close, I'll continue to be a good little girl and wait patiently. Should this not work out, however, I hope they will offer some sort of compensation at the convention, itself.

Don't worry mako I am new to this forum but in past conventions i have been to they have always taken care of their attendees. If you don't get your badge I am sure their will be a special line to get in fo ryour badge and who knows maybe a free acen button or a coupon to get your picture taken with all the hard working acen employees :D Oh wait that is just what I want... anyways though of course we are all excited about acen and looking forward to it like little kids at christmas but everything will be okay so on that note I will say I hope to see you all there and only a week and a half !!!

-Jon-
My cosplay for 2007 - Pakkun (Naruto)

My 2007 Acen pictures - http://s204.photobuc...b219/iguanajon/

Check me out on http://www.myspace.com/iguanajon
"Go Where There Is No Path And Leave A Trail For Others To Follow"

-Jon-

#45 User is offline   Orphen 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 5193

Posted 30 April 2007 - 07:25 AM

I believe that alot of people are worried because of travel as well. I only booked a hotel for Friday - Sunday. I would USUALLY come Thursday morning...to stand in Pre-Reg all day. The concern is, will we have to try to take an extra day off? Will we be able to find a place to stay, as Im sure the hyatt is booked now (and many other surrounding hotels/motels) for Thursday night...Not everyone lives in the Chicago-O'hare Area...many many many people are coming from around the country if not the world. I understand the frustration...and I appreciate it...however I am sure things will find a way of working out. They usually do.
Chaos always defeats order, because it is better organised. - T. Pratchett

"Family, unity, with diversity and individuality so fsck popularity....
You're the reason why I put my life into this shxt
I swear to god if you don't feel me, I'm just as real as counter-fit
You're the reason why I've been chosen, selected
With the juggalos I'm connected" - Your the Reazon Twiztid

#46 User is offline   akaikurama 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 10043

Posted 30 April 2007 - 11:03 AM

So, If the last batch has been mailed out, that means the staff can breath a sigh, and brace themselves for on-site registration!! :o
Remember...
Pics
Short but sweet!!

#47 User is offline   Bishou_Hunter 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 3913

Posted 30 April 2007 - 11:15 AM

I personally have no doubts about the staff and their hardworkingness of getting everything done in the little time we have left.

Though, I was talking to my boyfriend earlier and he was curious to know if he didn't get his badge in time to travel a state away to arrive at my house before we went to the actual con next week, would he have to buy a completely new badge? Or simply show his receipt like I figured he'd have to, even though he would have to wait in line like everyone else..
2008 Cosplay:
Saturday: TJ Chouji (Naruto) 0%
Friday: Chibi Nell Tu (Bleach) 0%
Sunday?: Female Jiraiya (Naruto) Again~ 100%

Gaia: Bishou Hunter | Deviant Art Page

just a heads up, I might not make it in 2008. PM if you wanna know why.

#48 User is offline   Harrison Bergeron 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 666

Posted 30 April 2007 - 11:33 AM

Okay, here's the deal-lio!

Cut off was April 14th. As I posted originally, we were sending them via bulk mail, which meant organizing them all, compiling a list, getting said list certified and guaranteed (with the Post office and an independent firm), and then getting them labeled, and finally doing a check over against the existing database. This took five days as we had to wait until after the 14th to get a hard list.

Next step was assembling the badges and envelopes, and then stuffing them. As such, we were able to prep and send out a batch every 3-4 days. The final batch which consisted of people who barely made the cutoff (280) and they went out today.

So allowing for fcukup time with USPS, people should start seeing badges today.

Now just you've hung in there this long...wait a bit longer.

BTW, for those who by some odd chance miss their badges, we'll do our best to make it right by them. For those people who did not get their badges, but are able to produce proof of having paid for mailing, they will be able to purchase replacement badges for $25.00, instead of their tier price, as originally stated.

Again, we cannot replace them for free because as a business, we have to make the unfortunate assumption that a larcenous attendee may claim a badge as being lost, when they in reality they gave it to a buddy, so they could get a free badge. It's an unfortunate reality, but this has been done at ACen and countless other conventions, so we are forced to protect our interests in this manner.

However, I expect that you all will get your badges any day now, just keep your eyes open.

B. Turner
Anime Central 2007
"Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur... goes a Latin proverb. The world wants to be deceived...So let it be deceived."
"If someone stands in the way of true justice, you simply walk up behind them and stab them in the heart."
Henri Ducard (Ras Al Ghul)- Batman Begins
"It is pleasant at times to play the madman..."
Seneca- Roman Dramatist, Philosopher, & Politician
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of nonviolence to cover impotence."
Mahatma Gandhi (1869 - 1948)
Nothing is true. All is permissible."
Hassan I Sabbah- Lord and leader of the Assassins Cult

#49 User is offline   akaikurama 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 10043

Posted 30 April 2007 - 11:47 AM

Thank you, for that information. Hopefully it will help people relax a little.
Remember...
Pics
Short but sweet!!

#50 User is offline   Amunet 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 30 April 2007 - 12:35 PM

And then ... the angels sing :wub:
わたしは クリス です。 ^_^

#51 User is offline   iguanajon 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 10602

Posted 30 April 2007 - 12:36 PM

I am currently sitting here watching my mailbox waiting for the mailman .. is that sad ??? HAHA will let you all know if it comes.
My cosplay for 2007 - Pakkun (Naruto)

My 2007 Acen pictures - http://s204.photobuc...b219/iguanajon/

Check me out on http://www.myspace.com/iguanajon
"Go Where There Is No Path And Leave A Trail For Others To Follow"

-Jon-

#52 User is offline   otaku_man7 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 1378

Posted 30 April 2007 - 12:42 PM

View PostAmunet, on Apr 27 2007, 05:39 PM, said:

Perhaps people HAVE been getting their badges but from some cosoclismic event, all of the people that HAVE recieved their badges never bothered to sign up for the ACen forums *nodnod* Ever think of THAT one? Hrm? :P

Lol I'm sure people are getting badges or will be soon :)
You all must remember that this is a big con with not as many staffers as they'd like ... therefore things might be a bit slower, but they will get to you :)

OR MAYBE, some evil-doer that is in charge of mailing out the badges put anthrax in all the badge envelopes that would arrive to people first, thus killing those who had received their badges so that we can all proceed to live in turmoil.
-Acen cosplays 09-
Possibly: Death the Kid or Archer (Fate Stay Night)
And for sure: ANBU Kakashi 99.9% completed

#53 User is offline   Iris 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 3989

Posted 30 April 2007 - 01:00 PM

I think it's rather uncool that we'd have to pay $25 if the badges don't make it. :/ Ecspecially considering how long the staff members waited to send them out. If they'd been sent out early, and people lost them, then that would be one thing.. but it really doesn't seem fair at all that if my post office is slow.. or loses it I'm being forced to pay MORE then the door cost for pre-regging.

Instead of $40 (or even the door price), I'd be paying $65?

I don't think that's a risk I'm willing to take in the future.. So if by next year they don't have a more clearcut way to get the badges out early with room for slowness and loss, I won't be using said service again. Which sucks, because I was all excited about it. :/

I mean heck.. the last ones went out today, the 30th. Alot of people leave for the con a few days early for driving/flying time. So if they leave say.. the 9th, that leaves 7 business days, which is fine if you have a prompt post office. But what about the people who's post offices take 10-14 days for a delivery?

Whenever you see a service shipped out you usually get a processing time of 2-4 weeks or even 6-8 weeks for it to arrive. So if businesses themselves see that the post office can screw up and take awhile maybe Acen should have too. And either sent out badges earlier, or been more understanding when it comes to them not arriving.

Just my two cents as a very poor congoer that doesn't want to lose $25 of my tiny spending fund on another badge.

#54 User is offline   Amunet 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 30 April 2007 - 01:08 PM

Iris ... I agree with you. Paying the extra $25 is a waste. Sure it's a business ... but if the business screws up, they usually pay for you (lets say a free meal or service if it was unsatisfactory).

I still have faith and the PO is usually better then the airport (airport looses LOTS of bags a day >.<).
わたしは クリス です。 ^_^

#55 User is offline   frzndaqiri 

• Webmistress
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Administrator
  • Member No.: 4043

Posted 30 April 2007 - 01:11 PM

Perhaps staff could consider that if an attendee can prove the badge arrived too late for the con (registration stamp, I'm not sure) that they can get a refund/credit for next year. Then maybe look at the cost of bulk delivery confirmations... not sure of the feasibility of that one. Or making the mailing cut off earlier to give staff more breathing room on mailing badges.

I can tell you that where I live... I'd have concerns about it getting to me in time if mine was mailed today. I live in a rural area, and even the swiftest mail options take a bit longer. (For the record, I didn't have mine mailed. Just offering suggestions as a helpful, supportive con goer.)
2013 will be my 11th year at ACen! Staff for '09/'10/'11/'12/'13
Currently: Webmistress and Registration System Admin - my answers on them are as STAFF - PM if you need help

Come visit DisjointedImages in Artist's Alley for Cosplay photo buttons and custom made buttons
Get a button or upgrade it to a keychain/zipper pull/magnet/bottle opener/mirror for just a quarter more.
Visit the blog for latest news and contests! Disjointed Images Blog
100% guarantee on buttons. If it breaks, come see me for a FREE replacement.

#56 User is offline   Amunet 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 30 April 2007 - 01:13 PM

View Postfrzndaqiri, on Apr 30 2007, 12:11 PM, said:

Perhaps staff could consider that if an attendee can prove the badge arrived too late for the con (registration stamp, I'm not sure) that they can get a refund/credit for next year. Then maybe look at the cost of bulk delivery confirmations... not sure of the feasibility of that one. Or making the mailing cut off earlier to give staff more breathing room on mailing badges.

I can tell you that where I live... I'd have concerns about it getting to me in time if mine was mailed today. I live in a rural area, and even the swiftest mail options take a bit longer. (For the record, I didn't have mine mailed. Just offering suggestions as a helpful, supportive con goer.)

Awe I'm glad you care about us foolish mail-in people ^_^
わたしは クリス です。 ^_^

#57 User is offline   frzndaqiri 

• Webmistress
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Administrator
  • Member No.: 4043

Posted 30 April 2007 - 01:24 PM

*glomps* You're not foolish. :P

If everyone turned away from new methods, nothing would progress. It's unfortunate that by jumping on this idea, you have to go through so much stress (I'm still holding out that everyone will get their badges and it will be ALL RIGHT) in the interim. At the same time, I applaud ACEN for making effort to alleviate some of the bigger headaches of the con. I'm sure staff is well aware of the less than favorable thoughts, so I won't go into detail any misgivings, but I can say that I see both sides of things and sympathize.

As with anything, the first run always shows where things need to be reworked for the next round. Hopefully this will be the learning curve, and next year mailings will be a breeze for everyone.
2013 will be my 11th year at ACen! Staff for '09/'10/'11/'12/'13
Currently: Webmistress and Registration System Admin - my answers on them are as STAFF - PM if you need help

Come visit DisjointedImages in Artist's Alley for Cosplay photo buttons and custom made buttons
Get a button or upgrade it to a keychain/zipper pull/magnet/bottle opener/mirror for just a quarter more.
Visit the blog for latest news and contests! Disjointed Images Blog
100% guarantee on buttons. If it breaks, come see me for a FREE replacement.

#58 User is offline   Iris 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 3989

Posted 30 April 2007 - 01:49 PM

I actually have a ridiculously quick post office out here in my little rural town. (aka, I've gotten things to germany in 4 days, and I often get mail the day after it's sent out) So I have faith it'll get here, unless it gets lost, or chewed up. It's more a "principle of the thing" thing that brought up my post.

I've been scurrying around trying to get everything situated and ready this year on my tiny budget. So spending any extra money right now is less stuff I can get (and I want some vibrating soap! XD), or even perhaps last minute details I can't add to my cosplay. But even that aside the fact that people whose badges are lost have to pay MORE then anyone else was just a big kick in the teeth and sent my 'justice' vibes screaming. xp

I understand them not wanting to lose out on money. But in this case I really think customer satisfaction should trump them losing out on money. Because a one year loss on money and getting positive PR about righting problems is more likely to help in the long run, then making people pay out and have things to gripe about Acen about/potentially scare new attendees away from coming.

Acen is my 'hometown' con, and I adore it to death. I hold hope that things will go as smoothly as possible for everyone.

On a side note. When I went to a convention in Florida they had photo badges. When you prereged you sent a photo shot. If Acen were to do something similar then it would completely nullify the fear they always seem to have about people being given other people badges. Less stealing, more organized in case of losing them, and all that jazz.

#59 User is offline   La Toute Petite 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 10713

Posted 30 April 2007 - 02:19 PM

Oh, $25 is MORE than unreasonable! I already shelled out tons for the hotel room, tons for my cosplays, and will be paying out the nose for gasoline! I can't believe they would want people to pay more, "business" or not. I have to say that I will be absolutely outraged if I never receive my badge, and am then forced to pay an additional $25.

Here's hoping that my badge shows up. If not, maybe I can get my money back somehow.

#60 User is offline   Rojya 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 9

Posted 30 April 2007 - 02:46 PM

Here's some interesting links I found on the Internet about mailing. Unfortunately, Chicago is ranked worst in the nation in local mail delivery. I hope that doesn't cause a problem for the mailing out of badges. If so, there may be an issue with a large number of people not getting their badges in time and being required to pay the $25 replacement fee, even if it isn't their fault, especially with it being less than 2 weeks before the con.

http://www.npr.org/t...storyId=9615598
http://www.chicagobu...ews.pl?id=24549
http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/291829,...-mail11.article

• 8 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users