Anime Central Forums: Registration: Badge Mailing And Outstanding Registrations - Anime Central Forums

• 48 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

#241 User is offline   flyingcabbit 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 9974

Posted 30 April 2007 - 10:59 PM

Despite your thoughts about our lost badge policy, especially regarding mailed badges, this is not unfair as this is a common practice with nearly every other convention, be it fan-based, professional, or trade-related, in the country. In fact, Anime Central is being very accommodating with our policy, as most conventions will not even offer a discount to attendees for lost badges.

Yah know what, I had a response for this, but it basically comes down to this.

Your attendees didn't loose the badge, if they never recieved them in the first place. You can't loose something you don't have in hand to begin with. And since it's the third week since badges where supposedly mailed out or started to be mailed out and not one forum go-er has recieved one.

That means something's up, and rotten in the state of denmark.

Chicagoland's mail system is not that bad. If people can get my x-mas cards and letters within that two week time frame or less during one of the busiest postal seasons...then we should be able to get our badges.

He's hoping that the badges arrive this week, otherwise I feel sorry for the customer service and registration staff that is going to deal with this at con.
It's nice to see the art of elf-licking is making a comeback." - Fred Willard

#242 User is offline   `Aygen` 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 4646

Posted 30 April 2007 - 11:00 PM

K guys, i've gotten my anger out at this, I hope all of us has as well ... I know we're all angry, but lets give it a week before we go into omgbichfest mode. I personaly appologize for my outbursts, though i'm still a tad miffed at the way it is going to be handled in the event that the worst happens, It was a bad reaction on my part. I know you guys work your ASSES off for this convention, and I appreciate it. Keep up the good work, I do hope to have some major fun in 10 days!

日の出では、大麻が舞う そこでラム酒を1パイントを上げると別のガブ飲みする モルガン船長の呪いこの運命に導いている
ない恐れがあるので、ドントルックバック 来世を待って!

_,.=+-~'"`^*^`"'~-+=.,_,.=+-~'"`^*^`"'~-+=.,_
Wii Code - 3597 5584 7250 3042
Xbox Live Tag - Kohato

#243 User is offline   trythisoutchiki 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 6244

Posted 30 April 2007 - 11:11 PM

Rofl, well I must admit this has become quite interesting to read/watch. But honestly I'm not going to get too worried till the 5th. Then I will be pitching a b*@!& like no ones buisness. Let's slow down this snowball till we actually need to get it rollin',ya?
Gothic and Lolita handbook
PROUD MEMBER OF THE SPAM SQUAD!! Eliminated (1)

#244 User is offline   KuroNeko 

• Pip
  • Group: Purge for Inactivity
  • Member No.: 10736

Posted 30 April 2007 - 11:37 PM

I have to agree about the $25 fee. I think everyone should keep in mind (as someone stated elsewhere) that if you have to pay for a replacement due to not getting your badge [in time], you can dispute it on your credit card. I hope the administration reconsiders this policy. If a lot of credit card disputes occur, you will have a mess to clean up. :mellow:

#245 User is offline   Kasumisty 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 2097

Posted 01 May 2007 - 12:21 AM

View PostChiya, on Apr 30 2007, 08:35 PM, said:

I don't think its right that if we don't get our badge and we have to pay $25. I understand they are a business, but we paid for them to be mailed so that we don't have to go there and wait in line to get them. Plus, they offered it so we could have the option to not go there and pick them up.

Most businesses I know of or have dealt with, if they ship you something and it gets lost in the mail they will send you a replacement, often at no extra cost. At most they charge you a SMALL processing and/or shipping fee.
I just cannot afford to pay $25 more for my badges. If I don't get mine in the mail I will not be able to pay for a replacement.

#246 User is offline   greeniebone 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 6612

Posted 01 May 2007 - 12:48 AM

I would understand and accept a $25 fee if the badge simply gets lost in the mail. Hey, there is no proof that the badge did not arrive, and sometimes things just happen.

HOWEVER...to charge a $25 fee simply because "there is no proof that the badge did not arrive"...when NOBODY has yet received a badge...is truly outrageous. Can ACen really try to suggest that all 5,000 pre-registrants who chose the mail option have conspired together to pretend that badges have not arrived? I am not suggesting that ACen is trying to scam anyone; I do not believe that to be true. But their slowness in mailing badges (volunteer-processed or not), as well as the choice of mailing service, is worrisome.

And in regards to the slowness of the USPS Standard Mail/Bulk Maill service, below is what I just wrote in another thread on this topic:

I process Bulk Mailings as part of my job, and I can tell you that just last week I had a customer call and complain that none of their Bulk recipients had received their mailing yet. Well, the mailing had gone out over a week prior, and was being mailed to people who are all in the same Zip Code as the Bulk Mailing Unit post office. So over a week to arrive within the same Zip Code...and yet the badges are being mailed all over the country.

I know there is time remaining yet before the Con, and badges MAY yet arrive....but I am getting really worried, based on the information at hand.

#247 User is offline   gloomy07 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 9445

Posted 01 May 2007 - 02:06 AM

Hello!

I agree with trythisoutchik and Aygen on this matter, let's calm down everyone!

This will be my 9th year going to Acen! I've been coming to this convention before they moved to the Hyatt, and when the line for the Masquerade could not have been more then like 50 people :lol: ! The popularity of this convention has gotten so big over the years, with more and more people attending each time! But I feel that the number of volunteers/staff have stayed the same! Heck, if you think the security and staff working out the mess of the masquerade lines the previous years were bad, think again! They have really improved!

As mentioned before, the staff members are not getting paid for any of this work, and I am pretty sure they are really understaffed as usual, so let's just try to walk in their shoes a bit you know? These are the very people who are making the very convention that we are so excited about! Without the hard work of the staff, we wouldn't have anything to look forward to this May 11th-13th!

GrammatonCleric wrote on the forums that the Acen staff had to stuff the envelopes by hand, and I'm sure that was not a fun task, and we all know that sometimes the work we try to finish just doesn't get done on time. It happens. GrammatonCleric also did mention, as well as DJ Fluffkins that the badges were delayed in being sent out. GrammatonCleric also wrote the staff worked with the post office so that we would all get our badges on time. The staff members are con-goers too, and love all the things about Acen that we love, I'm sure they understand more then anyone the frustration of not being able to have the badges right now.

I feel that GrammatonCleric wrote that we would have to pay an extra $25 for lost badges as a precautionary measure, that if and I am sure no one here on the forums would do this, but *if* someone is thinking in their chair as they read this, "hey, I can just lie and say I never got my badge and get another one for free!", then think again, it's not going to happen. He is in no way saying the badges are never going to arrive, or that we are conspiring anything or that the staff are just waiting to take our money and don't care at all about us.

I've really never had a problem with the post office, and I'm sure everyone is just really stressed out and worried. Of course, it would have been nice to have the badges in our hand already! But I bet that in the next few days, badges are going to be pouring into the hands of everyone waiting, and we'll all be happy. And honestly there will probably be only a few handful of people (or even better, none) who yes, really had their badge lost in the mail, and not all of us as we are probably thinking right now.

And don't forget, while it is also the responsibility of the staff to send out our badges, they never forced us to choose this option. We chose to have our badges mailed to us because like a lot of people are saying, we didn't want to wait! So if we can't wait 2 hours in line, then we probably are having a even worse time waiting a week or more for the mail. We trusted the staff to send out our badges on time, so let's keep the trust for now.

I'm sure that if a huge mass of angry people arrive at the convention without receiving their badges in the mail, the staff would reconsider the $25 dollar fee, because then obviously they did not send it out on time or they should not have used bulk mail.

So please don't get angry just yet. One of us might even get a badge tomorrow! I admit when I first read the post, I was upset about having to pay an extra $25, but I also understand that sometimes you have to be firm and make rules in order to keep things fair. I mean, how would you feel paying $46.50 to have your badge mailed to you, only to overhear someone laughing about how they got their badge for free because they lied?

Then you would angry at the staff about that too! You would be like, why didn't they check or ask for some sort of proof? You would be thinking, "I paid almost 50 dollars, and this guy got it for free!" But the truth is, there is no way to win in this kind of situation, there is really no sure-fire way to prove it. Even if you bring ID, and your bank statement, and your confirmation letter, how can you really prove that your actual badge is not on your friend? It does seem unfair when, though I believe that all of you are honest people, that you have to be punished for the few that are dishonest. But don't be angry with the Acen staff, be angry with the people who do such dishonest things, that rules like this have to be made!

If Acen had a huge staff and lots of donations for help, then I would be extremely angry that my badge wasn't sent out earlier. However, having gone to Acen for so long, I know that there are not enough staff members to do so much work. I know they work so hard to please everyone, but that's impossible. They are really an under appreciated group, and I just feel so bad when I hear the angry remarks on the forum, when I know the staff is working so hard. I can't even imagine how they can keep working so that we have an Acen to go to, when they read remarks about how they are going to get their asses kicked if the badges don't come, or how people will never come to Acen again because of this. My feelings would be hurt if I was a staff member.

Please! Just think of the staff before yourselves, just for a tiny bit. Just try to understand that they are overworked and understaffed, and they are humans too! They are probably not sleeping and living off ramen right now. When the badges start coming in, and I'm positive they will! I'm sure we will be seeing a lot of Thank yous and happy people writing on the forums, and all anger will be forgotten only to be replaced by the excitement of "is my badge going to come today?"

So let's keep the hurtful angry comments and accusations to ourselves unless the badges don't come by May 4-5th! (May 9th for me as that's when I'm leaving)

Sorry for writing such a huge post, but I just felt so bad for the staff, and I felt like someone should try to defend the poor guys.

p.s. I am a student with bills and loans and debts to pay off and I don't have a job right now, but seriously, $25 isn't that much money. I know that it is a lot when you feel like you are being cheated (especially after you paid and yeah, I'm sure it really is hard for some people to spend an extra $25), but I'm sure if worse comes to worse, you can always borrow money from your friend or family or just beg someone walking around with a badge at Acen! If I see someone crying out because they can't pay the $25, I'll try to help out. I'm not rich, but I can help at least one of you.

Paying the $25 is better then not coming at all, right?! This is a once a year event, we shouldn't let this topic ruin everything for us! I don't want anyone to be soured by this whole badge mailing, it's not worth it compared to the fun you'll have at the convention when you come! So here's to praying our badges arrive this week! :D

#248 User is offline   Fullmetalcrusade 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 2749

Posted 01 May 2007 - 03:30 AM

Well I just have a simple response to this
If I don't get my badge in time, I will go to acen, and politely tell the CS person there that my badge never arrived. I will then show them my confirmation and my ID. If they tell me I have to pay $25 i will kindly tell them what they can do with $25 extra and DEMAND every last red cent I paid for MY badge in MARCH on MY CREDIT CARD. I mean honestly, what kind of policy is that?
And don't give me the "we're trying to stop scammers" crap. Lost badges aren't the same as Late Badges. I payed extra money for a service, and if I don't recieve the benefits of that service, then all hells gonna break loose. I have worked in retail for a while now, and I've learned the last thing a "business" wants is a screaming, swearing customer. Acen never should have impimented this system if they hadn't accounted for EVERYTHING. First off, the online reg shouldn't have gone up as late as it did. Also, the proper way to do this was offer everyone a CHOICE in mailed badges, by that i mean
USPS standard
USPS 2 day w/ tracking
USPS overnite w/tracking
UPS 2 day w/ tracking
See where I'm going with this. That way, I could have used UPS, had a tracking # and practically WATCH that puppy come to my house. Now I am simply left to the will of the postal service in hopes that my badge shows up. But rest assured, NOBODY is getting a penny more if it doesn't show up, or shows up late. I'm getting all my money back and saying "so long" to acen if that happens.
That being said, I hope this system does work out, that way it can be improved for next year. It is a nice, convenient way of doing things.
PS, I'm tired of excuses. this isn't gen-con. it's been nothing but excuse after excuse for months. Let's see some action

View PostFlyingElf, on Apr 21 2007, 10:26 PM, said:

Reactor doesnt' count as a con. Reactor is an experiment in how bad a group of otaku can destroy a hotel given 3 days...

#249 User is offline   RRspud 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 6279

Posted 01 May 2007 - 05:11 AM

Wow some of you guys seem to driven to insanity lol or just completely jumped the ship and lost it... We still have a good hard week left... Alot could happen in that time ^.^
Darkness Coats Us!
Cosplay @ Acen 07 - Kakashi Hatake from Naruto - 100% Done Woot!
Not a Con Virgin anymore xP

#250 User is offline   vo. 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 10565

Posted 01 May 2007 - 05:12 AM

i copyed this post to show my anime club-----------
Visit My cosplay.com profile
vo. of Naked Dragon Blood
cosplaying KENZI from ÍNTI FEMINISM
JACC click here for the ACen credited link
former treasurer[2004-2006]Vice presedent[2005-2007] advisor [2007 - present]

#251 User is offline   goneia 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 10661

Posted 01 May 2007 - 05:54 AM

i support the paying 25$ for the badges...but i think they should have another line at the convention for people who didnt receive they're badges...idk. it might or might not help but it might make things go faster and a little smoothly...*shruggs*
Cosplay for ACEN 2007

Friday - Ninja Goneia
Saturday- Lolita Goneia

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)
(v)(v)

#252 User is offline   `Aygen` 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 4646

Posted 01 May 2007 - 05:58 AM

Goneia, did you pay for mailing and a 10th aniversary badge? If not, please dont comment on something you aren't involved in. If you payed for both, you realize this replacement badge your getting wont be one of the special ones, and you end up paying about 21$ MORE than DOOR price all because ACen didnt send them out fast enough.

日の出では、大麻が舞う そこでラム酒を1パイントを上げると別のガブ飲みする モルガン船長の呪いこの運命に導いている
ない恐れがあるので、ドントルックバック 来世を待って!

Wii Code - 3597 5584 7250 3042
Xbox Live Tag - Kohato

#253 User is offline   vo. 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 10565

Posted 01 May 2007 - 07:01 AM

i was one of the first toregister
Visit My cosplay.com profile
vo. of Naked Dragon Blood
cosplaying KENZI from ÍNTI FEMINISM
JACC click here for the ACen credited link
former treasurer[2004-2006]Vice presedent[2005-2007] advisor [2007 - present]

#254 User is offline   stomptoMYbeat 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 2256

Posted 01 May 2007 - 07:09 AM

I paid for the special badge AND mailing, but I, in a way, support the $25 fee as well. Part of me says, "Hey! That's crap! You already paid $46.50 for your badge! Now you have to pay $71.50 total?!", but the other part of me says, "You know ... who really cares? $25 isn't really a lot of money at all, and it makes a lot of sense why they are implementing this fee".

If people really are worried THIS much about the badges not being delivered on time, between today and the day of the con, wherever you work, go to school, etc. ... Walk around asking random people if they can spare a dollar. If you can persuade 25 people, there you go! *fanfare* Replacement badge. Sure it won't be the shiny pretty one you ordered, but at least you'll be able to do stuff at the con, and you'll EVENTUALLY get the real one mailed. xP I'm trying to make people smile. sh00sh.
FIND ME AT ACEN: WEARING MY DEADMAU5 HEAD AGAIN!

#255 User is offline   VampireLowell 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 9402

Posted 01 May 2007 - 07:26 AM

Message removed by Lowell.
Uh, hi!

Send me a pm if there's anything I could probably help with that is within reason of my current position and knowledge(con-goer).

Hope to meet some of you!

Vampire Lowell
Con-goer 2007

"Sprinkle, sprinkle, little bar, what I wonder is a cat"
"I...FOUND...A...CARROT!!!"
"Can I have some fishy crackers?"

#256 User is offline   GaaraFreak 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 3939

Posted 01 May 2007 - 08:05 AM

What I'm trying to figure out is why everyone is freaking out and getting upset at the staff and such.. its been confirmed our badges have mailed... just try and have some patience and wait for them. We've got a whole nother week before people should actually really worry. Calm down, peoples :P

#257 User is offline   VampireLowell 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 01 May 2007 - 09:03 AM

View PostGaaraFreak, on May 1 2007, 09:05 AM, said:

What I'm trying to figure out is why everyone is freaking out and getting upset at the staff and such.. its been confirmed our badges have mailed... just try and have some patience and wait for them. We've got a whole nother week before people should actually really worry. Calm down, peoples :P

We're not upset at the staff people, but upset at the circumstances occurred. We do have 7 business days still, true.
I think everyone is remaining patient with waiting for their badge to appear in the mail box. But we are voicing our opinions, thoughts, criticisms on how this was handled.

The reasons we are "freaking out" -

- An additional charge of $25 to replace something we might not receive on time. (Although it would be classified as lost when we didn't receive it in the first place) So instead of paying the $45 (+additional fees of mail-in and 10th anniversary), we pay $70(+add. fees of mail-in and 10th anniversary). Lost would mean we actually had it in our hands and had misplaced it. If we did not receive it on time in the first place, how could we possibly lose it?

- The timing of delivering the badges so close to the date of the event. And yet, no one has announced that they received their badges. Nor have they gotten any word from anyone else (friends, relatives, etc.) from getting their badges.

- The concern with some con-goers over their status with their registration. Some are concerned over their status, their clearing of payment, or otherwise.

- The lack of communication from an official head from either the Registration Dept or Chair for over a week after concerns started pouring in. (I started watching the board every day since it was announced that batches would be delivered starting on April 16th (woot Tax Day! Worst day to mail anything out) for any announcement of anyone saying "WOOT, got my badge!"). We did get word from staff members, but most or all said that what they said is unofficial at the time. What we wanted was an official word. From anyone, just to probably say "Hey! Have hope!" or something to that effect. And as much as we understand that people are busy with organizing things. How long does it really take to just say "We apologize for the inconvenience, we've just been really busy getting things out as quickly as we can to you all. We had mailed out the badges at (enter date here) and we estimated that it will arrive to you in (enter number here) days. Thank you again for being so patient with us. (enter staff name here) (enter staff position here) (Enter date here)" ?

I timed myself at around 46 seconds, probably 1 minute and 30 seconds to 2 minutes to review the post and rewrite anything or to possibly add in any other info.
Uh, hi!

Send me a pm if there's anything I could probably help with that is within reason of my current position and knowledge(con-goer).

Vampire Lowell
Con-goer 2007

#258 User is offline   GajiinTenshi 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 10743

Posted 01 May 2007 - 09:08 AM

Not being the guy with the Chaos Theory, but the Chicago mail rating is 91%. Out of 5000 pieces mailed in bulk: 450 will be lost. This is Worst Case Scenario.

I have until the Thursday before ACEN. I am leaving EARLY on Friday to make it just in time for the start-up. I do hope everything will come together for everyone.

#259 User is offline   hathor_sg1x 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 8873

Posted 01 May 2007 - 09:30 AM

This is starting to turn into the nightmare befoure Christmas and I do mean just as bad as the angry hoards of customers at X-Mas time demanding to obtain that certain 'hot season of the item'.

I have worked in retail for a long time now and this little policy to me seems absurd having to pay 25.00 more to get the badge replaced. Many people comming to Acen get the money from parents who are under age, work 40+ hours for mere bits of petty wage, go to college and are paying off so many loans their lucky they could afford to pay what they did for the badges, and ontop of it people that are cosplayers shelling out 300 or more on their cosplay outfits so they look perfect.

Oh! And let's not forget that nice 3.00+ a gallon at the pump now...And those that are making long drives across the state to reach Chicago. The biggest killer if anything right now on everyones wallets.

I was happy about hearing the mail-in bage method but now even though my friend I know that works on Staff, I fear I'm having secoend thoughts about this idea of his and he was the one to suggest it. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that my badge gets here by the 4th or 5th if it does show up here Thursday the 10th, when I'm out of here and already in Chicago by noon I will not be one happy woman.

If not those of us who do not get our badges in the mail befoure the con that are arrving Thursday should all pick a time and a location to meet so we can go 'wait in line' to chew someones head off.

I got too many things I want to do and waiting in line for 2-3+ hours was NOT my idea of one of them. After Ohayocon this year I wanted to rip my hair out for that one.

Next year if this stays in they need to mail the bages out sooner, the other convention I attend every year here i nthe state doesn't care when they mail out tickets. Two or three days later after you pay for the ticket you get it in the mail, and you are to make sure you do not lose that.

i understand some people might lose them or copy them, but who's to say people aren't going to do that befoure they leave? Just be smart about the con badge and treat it like you would 200 dollar ticket to a concert for best seats in the house.

That and I still say confirmation numbers, which might mean extra work, but after reading all the fourm pages for this topic, I'm starting to agree with my fellow's on here the words might offer some comfert but that reassurance is only about 15% while you still got 85% here ready to chew the heads off the next staffer here that posts.

I've been busting my butt off between work, home, and finishing up my friends Sith robe up in time to take to the con for him this just doesn't sit well with me and adds one more thing I have to stress over and my other friend who paid for her badge is begining to join the gripe vine I want scanned proof WHEN those batches of bages we're mailed.

I feel I have vented...

#260 User is offline   goneia 

• Pip

Posted 01 May 2007 - 09:39 AM

View Post`Aygen`, on May 1 2007, 06:58 AM, said:

Goneia, did you pay for mailing and a 10th aniversary badge? If not, please dont comment on something you aren't involved in. If you payed for both, you realize this replacement badge your getting wont be one of the special ones, and you end up paying about 21$ MORE than DOOR price all because ACen didnt send them out fast enough.

yes i did pay for the special badge and the mailing...i do understand what you are saying but a any badge is better then no badge...but i support what they are saying. so i pay 21$ more...no big deal...its just money...
Cosplay for ACEN 2007

Friday - Ninja Goneia
Saturday- Lolita Goneia

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)
(v)(v)

#261 User is offline   goneia 

• Pip

Posted 01 May 2007 - 09:45 AM

but i dont think anyone has to worry about anything... :blink: the convention isnt till next friday...so i think everything will be alright... ^_^
Cosplay for ACEN 2007

Friday - Ninja Goneia
Saturday- Lolita Goneia

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)
(v)(v)

#262 User is offline   BurnsideGT 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 5578

Posted 01 May 2007 - 09:50 AM

Yeah.

I can honestly say that if I'm driving 6-7 hours to a place just to be told that I'm the proud winner of the early registration dumbass award, get to stand in line for a few hours, and fork over an additional 25 bucks IF I bring a handful of papers from my bank and printouts from registration confirmation, etc. etc.... I.. won't be able to really enjoy what this con is trying to offer. I have a feeling that -IF- I recieve my badge, I'll be showing up this year, and this will be it for me and Acen.. :/ angst angst angst, watashi wa emo.. blah. or something. a large event like this just is not worth the waste of negative emotion...

The thought of a con snaking in an extra 25 bucks off of people just really makes me all shades of happy >|

#263 User is offline   VampireLowell 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 01 May 2007 - 09:54 AM

View Postgoneia, on May 1 2007, 10:39 AM, said:

so i pay 21$ more...no big deal...its just money...

Comment on your statement.

You're only one individual. Apparently one individual who is loaded. XD

And on that end, I can definitely see where you're coming from. If worse comes to worse - I won't be happy about it at all, but i'll shell out the extra $25. I have enough money on my person to handle the extra fee. $25 isn't that much to myself. (Ha! I'm not paying for you others! :P Sorry XD)

However, not everyone is in the same boat.

You have college kids who have only so much money to shell out. They're probably pressed on finances as it is to handle: Food, Parking, Hotel, Disposable Income to buy stuff at the merchandise room, Acen Merchandise money, and disposable cash for emergencies. And this is if they've actually prepared things the way I do.

You'll have kids who got this as a gift from their parents. The parents are probably going to wonder why THEY have to shell out an extra $25 for something that arrived late. They'd probably argue the same thing either on principle, pressed on cash, or because they want to defend their child on this from paying too much.

You have those individuals who are upset by the extra charge because of principle.

You'll have those individuals upset at the extra charge because on a business viewpoint from the customer end because it isn't right.

-------------

If you pay the extra fee, then pretty much it's like saying to Acen/Maps that this process is acceptable. And it's not. You paid a fee for a mail-in badge that you expect to appear some time at a decent early day before the Acen weekend. This week, in my own eyes, would be the only last acceptable week for the badges to arrive.

For the badges to arrive three days before the event is unacceptable. That is cutting it too close. I didn't pay for a badge to arrive and cutting it close. I paid for a badge to arrive in the mailbox at a decent time before Acen.
Uh, hi!

Vampire Lowell
Con-goer 2007

#264 User is offline   iguanajon 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 10602

Posted 01 May 2007 - 10:01 AM

View PostVampireLowell, on May 1 2007, 10:54 AM, said:

For the badges to arrive three days before the event is unacceptable. That is cutting it too close. I didn't pay for a badge to arrive and cutting it close. I paid for a badge to arrive in the mailbox at a decent time before Acen.

These statements are very true but I feel it is just really necessary for all of to remember this may be a business but it is something they volunteer to do they don't get paid a salary like a business. THese are real people like you and me with jobs, families, a life. THey gave so much time in to getting these badges mailed. Of course I am not happy I might have to pay a little more but that doesnt change the fact that the acen staff is doing there best and for that I commend them. We just need to be calm and stop pointing the old finger of blame it happens and nxt year it will be better. Plus there is still one week left before acen the badges may still arive. Until then stick to the forum and try to enjoy your week. Acen is only 10 days away !!!
My cosplay for 2007 - Pakkun (Naruto)

My 2007 Acen pictures - http://s204.photobuc...b219/iguanajon/

Check me out on http://www.myspace.com/iguanajon
"Go Where There Is No Path And Leave A Trail For Others To Follow"

-Jon-

#265 User is offline   Ianthekorean 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 10740

Posted 01 May 2007 - 10:01 AM

My gripe is I made an agreement with Acen when I purchased a pre-registered badge for this event a month or two back. I paid for an admission into an event, the agreed upon price was 41.50. It was not 66.50. Acen failing to get my badge to me on time is not something I should be faulted for, and I feel like they're breaking their contract with me. If I don't get my badge in the mail and a asked to pay an additional fee, this will become a legal matter. I did not pay 41.50 to have a piece of paper with my name on it sent to my home after the event it was meant for.

View Postiguanajon, on May 1 2007, 11:01 AM, said:

These statements are very true but I feel it is just really necessary for all of to remember this may be a business but it is something they volunteer to do they don't get paid a salary like a business. THese are real people like you and me with jobs, families, a life. THey gave so much time in to getting these badges mailed. Of course I am not happy I might have to pay a little more but that doesnt change the fact that the acen staff is doing there best and for that I commend them. We just need to be calm and stop pointing the old finger of blame it happens and nxt year it will be better. Plus there is still one week left before acen the badges may still arive. Until then stick to the forum and try to enjoy your week. Acen is only 10 days away !!!

See. This isn't a viable excuse. They are a business. it doesn't matter if they choose to run it with volunteers, they are selling a product/service which consist of tickets for an event they're hosting. Their business being run by volunteers doesn't somehow allow them to ignore laws regarding proper business practices, at least not as far as I know. I will not pay any additional price, because that would be allowing Acen as a company to ignore my rights and the agreement we made when I paid for a pre-registered badge.

#266 User is offline   goneia 

• Pip

Posted 01 May 2007 - 10:07 AM

View PostVampireLowell, on May 1 2007, 10:54 AM, said:

You have college kids who have only so much money to shell out. They're probably pressed on finances as it is to handle: Food, Parking, Hotel, Disposable Income to buy stuff at the merchandise room, Acen Merchandise money, and disposable cash for emergencies. And this is if they've actually prepared things the way I do.

You'll have kids who got this as a gift from their parents. The parents are probably going to wonder why THEY have to shell out an extra $25 for something that arrived late. They'd probably argue the same thing either on principle, pressed on cash, or because they want to defend their child on this from paying too much.

i understand that completely...i live paycheck to paycheck..sometimes going a day or 2 w/o food... -_-
but i see how everyone is going to be affected by this...thing is everyone is going on and on about all these problems when nothing can be done...all we can do now is wait...sure it might come in a day or so or it might not...thats something that well have to deal with when the time comes...other wise i think everyone should attempt to try to come up with the extra money just in case...worst to worst you have extra money for the convention...^^
Cosplay for ACEN 2007

Friday - Ninja Goneia
Saturday- Lolita Goneia

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)
(v)(v)

#267 User is offline   Ianthekorean 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 01 May 2007 - 10:11 AM

View Postgoneia, on May 1 2007, 11:07 AM, said:

i understand that completely...i live paycheck to paycheck..sometimes going a day or 2 w/o food... -_-
but i see how everyone is going to be affected by this...thing is everyone is going on and on about all these problems when nothing can be done...all we can do now is wait...sure it might come in a day or so or it might not...thats something that well have to deal with when the time comes...other wise i think everyone should attempt to try to come up with the extra money just in case...worst to worst you have extra money for the convention...^^

Pfft. Do not give into these absolutely ridiculous demands of an additional 25 dollars. It isn't hard to bring in the authorities and have them sort out the matter since you'd have hundreds, possibly thousands of people who could say yes, they did already pay and did not receive what they paid for. Hell, with the way the internet is used for evidence on myspace and such, I can just site rip this forum and print it off with the statements by the staff as to how they decided to con people out of additional money for something they paid for and did not receive. Theres absolutely no reason to pay anything more than you already have.

#268 User is offline   VampireLowell 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 01 May 2007 - 10:12 AM

View Postiguanajon, on May 1 2007, 11:01 AM, said:

I'm really not pointing the blame on the staff. More on the policy and process.

As I've said before and I'll say again : I understand this is the first time that Acen is doing this. I understand that Acen/Maps is trying their hardest to take care of things as efficiently as they can in regards to getting these badges to us.

I applaud MAPS that they do take their time from their own lives to give Chicago/Midwest a little Otaku love. Without them, we'd have to fly out to either the West Coast or East Coast for that Otaku Love (or to Michigan *shrug*).

But the process and policies are faulty.
-------------------------------------------
Also if they are volunteering their services and wish to treat this organization as a business, then they have to expect a proper response from the customers in a business.

We are expressing our thoughts and complaints thru proper channels. For the most part, those users who have filed their complaints and thoughts - I feel have done so in a civil manner and will probably continue to present their case against such a policy that the customers do not feel is unacceptable. This is about business principle.

When does a customer EVER have to pay MORE money for a product that was not delivered on time or promptly?
Uh, hi!

Vampire Lowell
Con-goer 2007

#269 User is offline   Ianthekorean 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 01 May 2007 - 10:18 AM

View PostVampireLowell, on May 1 2007, 11:12 AM, said:

But the process and policies are faulty.
-------------------------------------------
Also if they are volunteering their services and wish to treat this organization as a business, then they have to expect a proper response from the customers in a business.

We are expressing our thoughts and complaints thru proper channels. For the most part, those users who have filed their complaints and thoughts - I feel have done so in a civil manner and will probably continue to present their case against such a policy that the customers do not feel is unacceptable. This is about business principle.

When does a customer EVER have to pay MORE money for a product that was not delivered on time or promptly?

Exactly. This has nothing to do with devaluing the hard work and effort of the staff. This has everything to do with the business aspect of the convention failing. I also feel like the majority of the complaints and worries posted here were done so respectfully in regards to the staff and are worried and frustrated in regards the business aspect.

So please, stop becoming defensive for the staff when they aren't under fire.

#270 User is offline   Gammalion 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 8869

Posted 01 May 2007 - 10:19 AM

This will be my first anime convention. I've been to other conventions, but not one like this.

However, I've been a member of the Society for Creative Anachronism for more than 6 years. We have events that make Acen look like a block party. If something like this was to happen at Pennsic, or Lillies, or the Great Western War, there wouldn't just be griping and complaining. Believe me.

This is because the Society is also a volunteer run group, much in the manner of Acen/Maps. However, events in the Society are run with the intention of everything going as smoothly as possible. This has not been the case with Acen.

I realize that many people put lots of time and effort into this. I can appreciate that. I've spent lots of time volunteering at SCA events and I know how hard and thankless a volunteer's task can be, regardless of your department. That does not excuse shoddy work.

I completely agree with Ianthekorean in that this constitutes a binding agreement for the price of a service. Also, the statement that they are trying to prevent "larcenous" con-goers from taking advantage of the system is preposterous. That is like trying to punish someone before they commit the crime. You can't do it. So forcing those of us who are being honest to pay for someone else's misdeeds in the past is unacceptable. I have already paid my 41.50 which was the agreed upon price.

With all that being said, those of you who pointed out that we still have a week are correct. Some of us however are flying in from far-off locations, including but not limited to the UK. I myself am coming from deepest darkest southwest Virginia. The closest, cheapest flight for me is in Charlotte. I have to drive three hours before I even get on the plane. You can imagine my frustration when I read that if I don't get my badge, which I have already entrusted the convention staff with my money to produce, that I will be expected to shell out more money. I am not in a position to do this. $25 does not sound like much to many of you, but to me its pretty dear. It's the difference between me eating for a day and not eating for a day.

[/vent]

• 48 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users