Anime Central Forums: Food Resources Thread - Anime Central Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Food Resources Thread Where To Go & What To Get!

#1 User is offline   excel excel 

• Panel Programming <3
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderator
  • Member No.: 1495

Posted 06 February 2007 - 12:51 PM

As we all know ACen is all about the glitz and the glam. But what about the dining elite? For me its all about planning ahead of time and bringing food to the hotel upon arrival. I know around me there is a place called the Grand mart that sells korean foods there. So Im gonna stock up on ramen and some drinks there. And when I mean drinks I mean juice.

Now some plan to order out and thats fine. Whatever works as long as you are full and happy! What do you plan to do at ACen as far as food goes. Put it here and give some tips as well ^__^
ACen 2013 Cosplay Plans:
MST3k Mike Nelson & Crow-Friday
Team Fortress 2 Medic-Saturday

#2 User is offline   whimsy_chan 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 3321

Posted 06 February 2007 - 06:47 PM

View Postexcel excel, on Feb 6 2007, 06:51 PM, said:

Now some plan to order out and thats fine. Whatever works as long as you are full and happy! What do you plan to do at ACen as far as food goes. Put it here and give some tips as well ^__^

I always bring my own food, but I usually allow for one or two meals eaten outside of the convention. Especially since Mitsuwa Marketplace is right over in Arlington Heights! My group goes there every year. We usually pick up some snacks and sushi at the grocery store, but there's a little food court as well that has some awesome Chinese, Japanese and Korean food! I'm definitely giving the okonomiyaki a try this year. :D

#3 User is offline   GeneralNacho 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 7460

Posted 06 February 2007 - 11:14 PM

That Mexican restaraunt by the convention center. Possibly hotel food. They're probably pretty pricy though. There's not much I can cook for myself in a hotel. I guess there's always microwavable food which I may end up bringing.

Anybody able to help with something though? My friend that's coming is a vegan and it's impossible to find places to eat that have vegan friendly food. Mind you this isn't vegetarian, she doesn't eat anything. Trying to ask people like myself is pretty much pointless because we don't even look at the menu so hotel staff never has a clue. Somebody on the boards has to know a vegan though, right?

#4 User is offline   Horondo 

• Registration Staff
  • PipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 1941

Posted 07 February 2007 - 12:01 AM

I am essentially one of those people that Comes with a bunch of packets of Ramen and pocky and live off of that and water/juice for the entire con for the vegan person i dont know how to help you bro

#5 User is offline   FrenziedFury 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 2401

Posted 07 February 2007 - 12:52 AM

I'm the son of a lifelong vegan. Perhaps I could be of some assistance. If you're looking to keep your friend fed through the weekend, your best bet is to stick with vegetarian foods that are also vegan friendly. I think some brands of veggie burgers are also fit for vegan diets. Barring that, try making an all natural (i.e. nothing bought in a store) trail mix. I would also suggest water and natural fruit juices. Stuff like that will most likely give her more then enough energy to make it through the con without breaking her diet.
ACen never dies! It just goes to the forums! Hilarity ensues!
I came here to kick butt and chew bubblegum and my feet are killing me!

Jayson D. Clarkson
Registration DH - Anime Central 2006 - 2007
Masquerade Judge - Anime Central 2006 - 2009
Green Room ADH - Anime Central 2009
Registration Grievance Thread
Registration FAQ
Click here for registration hours, prices, procedures, etc.

#6 User is offline   sailorgaia 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 3856

Posted 07 February 2007 - 11:49 AM

I know this is a little out of most people's price range, but the lobby restaurant actually has a very tasty menu. It's usually a tad expensive (compared to your normal dining), but the atmosphere is very nice. I recommend the dumpling chicken soup. It was very yummy & they serve nice bread & rolls with your meal.

During previous ACen's where I've been feeling under the weather or things get stressful, I really enjoyed going to the hotel restaurant and getting a little waited-service. There's just something therapeutic about being served good food and not having to clean up for yourself. ^__^

As for other dining venues, lots of people enjoy Denny's down the road and the McDonald's. My friends & I usually get together on Saturday and order a bunch of Pizza from Domino's. It's overpriced still (everything will be) but with a group of people it isn't so bad.

I know this has been beaten into the ground,, I'd like to reiterate it: please make sure you eat! -Srsly-~ You will run your body into the ground during a convention with the long nights, heavy partying, and walking all over the place. The least you can do to give back to your body is giving it some nourishment. It kinda worries me when people say they just bring ramen & pocky. While that's your own choice, what could it hurt to throw in some other foods? Maybe some fruit?

Food is a big issue at conventions: just be prepared to take some time to EAT!!! After all, food = energy and the more energy you have, the more fun you'll have.
"I like it when you clap for me, Ultros. I can just close my eyes and imagine that four people are clapping for me at once!"
Locke, the Hand of God

#7 User is offline   Purplegodess 

• MAPS Director & Art and Publications Manager
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Administrator
  • Member No.: 5803

Posted 07 February 2007 - 11:55 AM

To help out your vegan friend for the weekend i personally suggest natures valley granola bars I keep them on me all the time because they keep you going so well. Maybe go to the grocery store and buy a bag of fruit. Other then that I dont know what to tell you.
I know personally i will find myself some pizza thursday I believe giordanos is across the street from the hyatt, and the hotel resturant is very expensive but very good. They make omlettes to die for. ;)

Art and Publications Manager
Convention Officer:Secretary 2008-2014
M.A.P.S. Director
Artist Alley DH 2007-2008

Live like there is no tomorrow, and dream like you'll live forever...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

#8 User is offline   GeneralNacho 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 07 February 2007 - 06:06 PM

View PostFrenziedFury, on Feb 7 2007, 06:52 AM, said:

I'm the son of a lifelong vegan. Perhaps I could be of some assistance. If you're looking to keep your friend fed through the weekend, your best bet is to stick with vegetarian foods that are also vegan friendly. I think some brands of veggie burgers are also fit for vegan diets. Barring that, try making an all natural (i.e. nothing bought in a store) trail mix. I would also suggest water and natural fruit juices. Stuff like that will most likely give her more then enough energy to make it through the con without breaking her diet.

Well, I'm sure that we can bring some of her foods along. It's just a hassle to haev to pack coolers and whatnot. I was hoping there would be a grocery store or something nearby for us to shop. Last time we asked and got sent to some Russian store about 30 minutes away. Can't blame the poor guy though, it was 1 in the morning and I'm sure it's not a question people are prepared to answer just like that. :lol: We'll probably end up having the trail mix and granola bars and stuff. I just don't want her to only have snacks. I know how cranky I am when I don't eat, I don't want anybody else to have that problem. I guess since we're at the Hyatt this time it may be a little easier to have your own food, before we had to search for places because we didn't have time.

But thanks for the help everybody! Hopefully this'll be easier than conventions in the past have been. It's especially hard since everybody usually eats Ramen during this period. :P

#9 User is offline   Smokey 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 6522

Posted 07 February 2007 - 07:31 PM

View PostGeneralNacho, on Feb 7 2007, 06:06 PM, said:

I was hoping there would be a grocery store or something nearby for us to shop.

There is. Unless something happened to it since I drove by a couple of months ago, there's a Dominics nearby (if you're driving, that is.) Just go North on River to Higgins (the first light after you pass under the expressway,) then go East for about 1.5 to 2 miles to Cumberland. It'll be on the Northwest corner.
The Special Needs & ADA Compliance Department is dedicated to making sure that nobody has to miss anything that ACen has to offer because of a physical challenge or medical condition.

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Compliments? Complaints?

Visit us at http://acen.org/cont...-ada-compliance or send an email to adacompliance-dh@acen.org

Number of ACens attended: 15, Number of years on staff: 6, 2010 Staff MVP Award

#10 User is offline   Elizabeth-chan 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 9249

Posted 07 February 2007 - 08:07 PM

I've got to tell you, my first year at ACen I was horribly unprepared for the "nutrition issue".

I was so excited about my first year, my first convention, my first cosplay! I love Chicago, so that added even more to my desire to prepare fully. I got my cosplay all ready, packed extra clothes, remembered to suck up to my parents and get exceptionally good grades for spending cash, everything you could think of I tried to pack for. Except the basic human needs, such as sleeping and eating.

Upon seeing the Dealers' Hall, I think I died then. And being very shocked and very stupid, I splurged. ($52 for a Yami no Matsuei import CD, I was the happiest idiot in the con.) And I didn't eat. Ever. Friday night left my friends and I with full shopping bags and hunger pains. Saturday, my girldfriend's parents saved the day by buying lunch, and we figured that would be enough fuel to compensate for yesterday and the remainder of the day.

This was my freshman year. I passed Biology with very nice grades. But being an otaku kinda weighs out all knowledge of the digestive system, y'know?

Now I'm a senior, and I'm planning on having cash for food that will hold myself and my little brother (yay for chaperoning siblings at a convention), and I want to thank everyone who mentioned the great Asian markets close to the hotel. ^^

Spoiler

Much love to the thread! Remember to EAT, SHOWER, and DRINK LOTS OF WATER! ^^
Square Enix: Making sedentary life look better every day.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Warning to all cosplayers:
I am a fangirl. Not a nice, quiet, watch-my-anime-for-plot fangirl. A raging, screaming, brazen fangirl whose got bigger arms than most male cosplayers out there. I glomp. I will scream your character's name across the Dealers' Room and run at you just to get your picture.
My promise to you is this however: I will respect your space if you really don't look inviting. Or if you look traumatized. I will not mess with your outfit whatsoever. I don't jump on the backs of cosplayers who put a lot of effort into their costumes and I don't rip off cat ears. *Shudders at personal memory*
I cosplay too. I take this warning unto myself as well, but I'm more than happy to give hugs and stop for pictures. If you're going to be so touchy about it, don't cosplay.
After all, cosplaying can be a full-contact sport.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

#11 User is offline   AngryDragon 

• Pip
  • Group: Purge for Inactivity
  • Member No.: 6716

Posted 08 February 2007 - 12:16 AM

View PostGeneralNacho, on Feb 7 2007, 05:14 AM, said:

That Mexican restaraunt by the convention center. Possibly hotel food. They're probably pretty pricy though. There's not much I can cook for myself in a hotel. I guess there's always microwavable food which I may end up bringing.
Anybody able to help with something though? My friend that's coming is a vegan and it's impossible to find places to eat that have vegan friendly food. Mind you this isn't vegetarian, she doesn't eat anything. Trying to ask people like myself is pretty much pointless because we don't even look at the menu so hotel staff never has a clue. Somebody on the boards has to know a vegan though, right?

There are 2 places I know of around the hotel that are vegan friendly...

CHOWPATTI VEGETARIAN CUISINE
1035 S, Arlington Heights Road
Arlington Heights, IL - 60005
Phone: (847) 640 9554

and

BAPI
1510 E Hintz Rd
Arlington Heights, IL 60004
(847) 253-2333

Bapi has italian food but some vegen stuff as well

hope that helps
Timothy Leverston Jr
Green Room DH/Guest Relations 2nd
ACen 2007-2008

#12 User is offline   neomiroku 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 1692

Posted 08 February 2007 - 01:05 AM

I dunno about all that...

but Uhm..one of my room mates is bringing some food..dunno what.

I'm planning on bringing 2 boxes of nutrigrain bars as just something to eat when I'm walking around and really can't and don't wanna leave the con.

as for actualy meals....likely go to some fast food joints nearby...drive over and get some stuff.

and for dinner we're just gonna order out...at least that's what I wanna do.

I know we got pizza last time I went and it was just fun for some reason.

I mean i'mma probably finalize it with my room mates but that's what I wanna do for the most part.

as for mitsuwa..never been too far from me...so is acen but i won't be leaving it right away.

I suggest something you can easily make..I believe there's a microwave on each floor or near each block of rooms.
"he is the ONE", yeah the one that gropped my A**!"

#13 User is offline   Erisraven 

• Department Head - Tabletop Gaming
  • Pip
  • Group: Department Head
  • Member No.: 8616

Posted 08 February 2007 - 11:17 AM

This is my first year at ACEN but I go to a lot of gaming conventions, and this is what I usually pack:

5-6 powerbars (usually the carb-friendly ones)
A box of Fig Newtons
2 bags of Beef Jerky
A case of bottled water
2-3 cans of tuna - the olive-oil packed version
chocolate - because who doesn't need chocolate :D
several small sandwich bags of trail mix

Yes, I'm obsessive, but I usually wind up playing den mother to folks who spent all their money in the dealer's room, and I like being prepared. :P

I also don't know what's available close to the convention center (besides the glory of Giordano's).

____
Erisraven
-Cat
TTG DH

#14 User is offline   psyco_chick32 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 1735

Posted 08 February 2007 - 12:12 PM

In every "food" related thread, I will continue to recommend you go to the Hyatt Front Desk and request a few menus.

One will be from a Chinese place that is ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS.
I don't even remember the name (getting it only once a year will do that to you) but it's yummy and fast and not very expensive.

#15 User is offline   Lacey 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 9290

Posted 08 February 2007 - 12:27 PM

My aunt lives a block down the street so we hit her up if we are desperate.

Last year we were so broke that we had to eat McDonalds most of the time--haven't eaten any of that since.
Whom are the orginal [if any] mascots for ACEN?

You'll see me as a[n]:

++Array of Lolita outfits...o.O;;++
++Battle Royale Female Student++

-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-
Any Lolita Tea parties being held?

#16 User is offline   Cherry_Wolf 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 2860

Posted 08 February 2007 - 01:10 PM

View Postneomiroku, on Feb 8 2007, 07:05 AM, said:

I suggest something you can easily make..I believe there's a microwave on each floor or near each block of rooms.

Hmmm.... I don't remember those, but now that you mention it, I think there might be one... well, I'll remember that when I bring my o-bento thurday and see if there so I can heat it up, if not, I plan on packing stuff that can be eaten cold.

Thanks!
Possible 2015 Cosplays- TBA
Thursday-
Friday- Gon Freecs(HunterxHunter) - 0%
Saturday- Shimizu Kiyoko(Haikyuu!!) - 0%
Sunday-

#17 User is offline   Isamu 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 8918

Posted 08 February 2007 - 02:46 PM

For me eating at some of the unique places in Chicago is one of the reasons I go. I plan on hitting a Portillos or two. Also Gino's East is down the street from the hotel,they make a great deepdish. I was thinking of eating at Charlie Trotters until I found out it costs $145 per person. No matter what your budget is you should consider trying out One non fastfood restaurant while in Chicago.
"Frank and explicit"-that is the right line to take when you wish to conceal your own mind and to confuse the minds of others.
Bachelors know more about women than married men; if they didn't, they'd be married too.
Santa on the crapper is officially dead.
Acens attended. 2001,2002,2007-2011.
STVO the 2013 Hellfire champ.

#18 User is offline   GeneralNacho 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 08 February 2007 - 06:27 PM

View PostAngryDragon, on Feb 8 2007, 06:16 AM, said:

There are 2 places I know of around the hotel that are vegan friendly...

CHOWPATTI VEGETARIAN CUISINE
1035 S, Arlington Heights Road
Arlington Heights, IL - 60005
Phone: (847) 640 9554

and

BAPI
1510 E Hintz Rd
Arlington Heights, IL 60004
(847) 253-2333

Bapi has italian food but some vegen stuff as well

hope that helps

Thank you so much! You guys are all very helpful. (Let's just hope we don't get lost trying to get there. We're both pretty bad with directions.) First time we came to ACEN we drove past the convention center a total of five times before figuring out we were supposed to be there, despite the big 'WELCOME TO THE DONALD E STEVENS CONVENTION CENTER' sign. Heh. ;)

#19 User is offline   excel excel 

• Panel Programming <3
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 08 February 2007 - 07:08 PM

I know that everyone has been telling me about a Denny's thats not too far from here. Where is it?
ACen 2013 Cosplay Plans:

#20 User is offline   trythisoutchiki 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 6244

Posted 08 February 2007 - 07:37 PM

This year we are bringing a cooler fool of foods and a microwave. We've found it's easier to buy food before hand. ^_^
Gothic and Lolita handbook
PROUD MEMBER OF THE SPAM SQUAD!! Eliminated (1)

#21 User is offline   Moogle_21 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 2191

Posted 08 February 2007 - 08:38 PM

We'll probably hit up Mitsuwa before we head down to ACEN and stock up on sugary goodies ^^ (Pocky, gummies and ramune *squee*). One night we go to Denny's, last year and girl was so excited and laughing because she saw Sora at Dennys ^^, it was awesome. Then McDonalds ^^. Usually we just squeak by on crap before the dinner ^^.
Senior Manager of Sales
Anime Central 2011 - 2012

#22 User is offline   Smokey 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 6522

Posted 08 February 2007 - 10:40 PM

View PostIsamu, on Feb 8 2007, 02:46 PM, said:

For me eating at some of the unique places in Chicago is one of the reasons I go. I plan on hitting a Portillos or two. Also Gino's East is down the street from the hotel,they make a great deepdish. I was thinking of eating at Charlie Trotters until I found out it costs $145 per person. No matter what your budget is you should consider trying out One non fastfood restaurant while in Chicago.

If you're driving, take River South to Grand. Gene's and Jude's is probably the finest example of the REAL Chicago hot dog. It's one of those places that the locals like to keep to themselves. ;)
The Special Needs & ADA Compliance Department is dedicated to making sure that nobody has to miss anything that ACen has to offer because of a physical challenge or medical condition.

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Compliments? Complaints?

Visit us at http://acen.org/cont...-ada-compliance or send an email to adacompliance-dh@acen.org

Number of ACens attended: 15, Number of years on staff: 6, 2010 Staff MVP Award

#23 User is offline   excel excel 

• Panel Programming <3
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 February 2007 - 12:04 AM

View PostIsamu, on Feb 8 2007, 08:46 PM, said:

OOOOH! Portillos is love! They have the best burgers there. I may go to the one around my house. Usually in the summer its packed! Especially the drive thru. Gino's East has some real good pizza. And I love Connie's Pizza. Best pizza ever! Charlie Trotters does have some good steaks! Dude you aint lying about those prices! But at least you do get what you pay for when you go to Trotters. Dude you made me freakin hungry now :lol:
ACen 2013 Cosplay Plans:

#24 User is offline   Stuckonharuko 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 9000

Posted 09 February 2007 - 02:52 AM

View PostIsamu, on Feb 8 2007, 08:46 PM, said:

A couple of my friends are really excited the food in chicago as well.
When you're in a town like this all covered with smoke, you forget that there's a world outside. Nothing amazing happens here. And you get used to that, used to a world where everything is ordinary. Every day we spend here is like a whole lifetime of dying slowly. But now Haruko is here. That's how I know there really is a world outside.

My Member number is what? 9,000!!!!!

#25 User is offline   AngryDragon 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 6716

Posted 09 February 2007 - 03:19 AM

View Postexcel excel, on Feb 9 2007, 01:08 AM, said:

I know that everyone has been telling me about a Denny's thats not too far from here. Where is it?

Denny's
(847) 678-5556
4824 River Rd
Schiller Park, IL 60176

It's not even a 5 min. drive from the hotel.
Timothy Leverston Jr
Green Room DH/Guest Relations 2nd
ACen 2007-2008

#26 User is offline   Kitsu-chan 

• 2+2 = 5
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 6190
  • Location:Hiding from my Sewing machine. Shh... Don't tell it I'm under the bed.

Posted 09 February 2007 - 04:03 PM

Last year I brought Ramen, some lunch meat & bread. Not the most appatizing, but it got me by.

this year I'm bringing my George Foreman grill & a rice cooker I'm gonna try to make stir-fry or atleast a steak
Resident Ladyboy of the ACen Forums

Sadly won't be attending ACen 2012. So I'll be taking my cosplay up a notch for 2013.

#27 User is offline   slrphebos 

• Customer Service Staff
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 974

Posted 09 February 2007 - 04:33 PM

I'll be bringing some snacks and drinks mostly, but actual meals will be eaten out. On the list right now is Giordanos, McD's, Subway, and possibly Wendy's. Sure that is a lot of eating out, but I need something close and if the Hyatt actually had fridge's in the room (that you didn't have to pay $25 a night to rent!) I would bring some more of my own food. Drinks and snacks are going to be mostly from Mitsuwa since that is on the way to the con for me and I need my ramune!
~Ri-chan
ACen 2013-2014: Customer Service

2013 Cosplay: Team Aqua Grunt (100%), Fluttershy Sweet Lolita (95%)

#28 User is offline   excel excel 

• Panel Programming <3
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 February 2007 - 09:55 PM

The ACen programming guide is pretty helpful too. They give you a nice listing of restaurants that deliver to the hotel.
ACen 2013 Cosplay Plans:

#29 User is offline   Femme Fatale 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 7220

Posted 09 February 2007 - 10:20 PM

View PostGeneralNacho, on Feb 7 2007, 05:14 AM, said:

I love Mexican. Does this Mexican restaraunt deliver?
Excel's Big Sis

Coming Soon to ACen 2015

Celestia Ludenberg (Dangan Ronpa)

#30 User is offline   GeneralNacho 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 09 February 2007 - 11:59 PM

View PostFemme Fatale, on Feb 10 2007, 04:20 AM, said:

I love Mexican. Does this Mexican restaraunt deliver?

I don't believe so. I don't think I've ever seen a Mexican restaraunt deliver before. I guess I've never really paid attention though. ;)

Maria's Mexican Restaurant
9440 W. Foster Ave.
Chicago, Illinois 60018
(773) 992-2288

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users