Anime Central Forums: UPDATE-1/8/07: What the h@!! is going on with ACen? :) - Anime Central Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

UPDATE-1/8/07: What the h@!! is going on with ACen? :)

#31 User is offline   bob-san 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 210

Posted 09 January 2007 - 01:31 PM

Wow!

Thanks for the update guys! It's great to finally hear something. ^_^

Though I do have a couple questions regarding the new changes.

1. As was asked by many folks here, what will be the policy regarding badges lost in the mail? I love the concept of mailing them out, but I don't want to find myself in a bind if it never arrives.

2. What is the difference between a Tier 1 and Tier 2 membership?

Again, thanks folks and I'll be keepingan eye on the site for our club members.
Kanpai! Celebrate Otakudom! - My Anime Blog

Have you Glomped your No Face today? - He's Got Soap!

#32 User is offline   DJ OpM 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 616

Posted 09 January 2007 - 01:36 PM

1. http://www.acen.org/forums/showpost.php?p=...92&postcount=23

2. Tier 1 = $40 and tier 2 = $45. The main difference is the time they are being offered. The closer you get to deadline, the more expensive it becomes.

Retired
Secretary 2K8, Operations Section Chief 2K7/IRT DH 2K5-2K6, IRT Staff Relations / TechOps ADH 2K4
AIM: DeeJayOPM, Y!IM: Dee_jay_opm
fchrisking at gmail

#33 User is offline   stelu-chan 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 5841

Posted 09 January 2007 - 01:43 PM

I was wondering what the limit of people per room is and if the hotel or con staff will be strictly enforcing said limit?
ACen 09: Tifa Lockhart (KHII, FFVII: AC/DoC ver.), Bianchi (Random... Casual... Whatever)

ACen 2010 Plans: Matsumoto Rangiku (Fuku-taichou), Emma (Season/Part One Maid Uniform),
Tifa Lockhart (KHII, FFVII: AC/DoC ver.), Tifa Lockhart (FFVII), Ireland (Original Hetalia)
I wish I could sew better, I could be making costumes ALL YEAR! DX

#34 User is offline   bob-san 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 210

Posted 09 January 2007 - 01:52 PM

for all of the years I've gone, it's usually been 4 people per room. You can get more into a room, but I beleive they may charge you more (if they find out ^_^)

And thanks for the answers DJOPM. I noticed the answer to my first question after I posted (I hate trying to use forums while at work). nd I asn't sure if the difference between 1 and 2 was anything more than cost.

Again, thanks.
Kanpai! Celebrate Otakudom! - My Anime Blog

Have you Glomped your No Face today? - He's Got Soap!

#35 User is offline   RaDragon76 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Purge for Inactivity
  • Member No.: 5441

Posted 09 January 2007 - 03:05 PM

DJOPM said:

Policy has always that if your badge is lost or stolen, you need to go and pay for a new badge. The policy was instituted to prevent people from ghosting the con by passing their badge to someone else and just obtaining a new one.  

The modification to this policy will be announced when the new site goes up.

So there might be a way to get a badge that was lost in the mail or not delievered in time for those who are going to have them mailed? That's good to know. I'll probably just pick mine up at con on Thursday night like always but for those that want them mailed that's good to know.

Stelu-chan- The limit is four and I've had four people in one of the Hyatt's double rooms before. We spent the whole weekend tripping over each other's stuff that was laid out around the room. You should concider that everyone who rooms with you will have their own stuff that takes up even more room, especially if you are all cosplaying and have at least three costumes plus their props and accessories. That's something I didn't think of last year, which has me looking into other hotels besides the Hyatt for this year.

#36 User is offline   Harrison Bergeron 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 666

Posted 09 January 2007 - 03:11 PM

First off, I want to thank everyone for chiming in on this thread and asking some very intelligent and positive questions. This is what I like to see in a user-driven forum environment. We're a community and we're here to help you out and your questions help us out in turn.

With that in mind, let's get started:

But, quick question-
For credit card payment, can it be by Paypal?

As a rule, we have tried to stay away from PayPal because of a bad experience that we had regarding a large payment rendered through the service. However, considering that our merchant account is directly through a bank, any problems with a given transaction would be settled between the bank, PayPal, and the customer. I'm not going to say no, but I will refer this one upstairs to our financial officer and see what they say.

well i guess i will ask it here: how does pregistering work. I plan on paying for me, my mom and sister, so will there be an area for names to be placed and ages. And since i am ordering for more than just me, can i have like me and my sister for teh special badge and my mom for the regular one?

Each registration will have to be done separately for each person registering and each person can choose whether they want the regular or commemorative badge. We are still doing group registrations though. I'll have our registration sensei go over the details in a later post.

I registed me and my sis at reactor and we havent recieved a confirmation yet. I know this was just to see how it would work out but, when will those who pre registered in october get some kind of information as to whether we will get our confirmation number and can we also apply for the mail in badge fee as well?

As we had not gotten the system running at that time, we just got your info. However, now that the test bed system is running, we are entering the registrations now. If you checked the "email updates" box, we will send out email confirmations to people. Regarding the badge mailing for folks who registered in October, you should be able to just go to the main site and enter your info. From there, you will get an option asking if you want to update your info and if so, you can pay for mailing or a commemorative badge there. Again, the registration sensei will post more later.

So, how does the badge mailing work? Like, is there going to be a line for at-con reg, one for people who prereged, and one for people who already have their badges? Or what?

The lines will be just like they were last year. There will be a pre-registration line where you can just go and pick up your badge. Then there will be two lines for at the door registration. One for people who have to put their info into the system to get their badge, and then there will be an "At Con Express Registration" line.
"Express Registration" allows you to enter your info for your badge from your own computer at home. You will then get a print out with a confirmation number, which you bring to the con. From there, you just give your number and show your ID to the registration clerk and then go to the cashier to pay for your badge. Express Registration goes on line the day after the tier 2 cut-off date.
However, if you got your badge mailed to you, then all you will have to do is to stop at one of a few kiosks to pick up your badge holder and program book/bag. And if you buy a commemorative badge, then you just have to get the bag...if you want. The point of badge mailing is so you do not have to wait to start your con experience. You show up and go straight to the dealer's room or your favorite event/panel.

As for a question, is it possible to get the 10th anniversary badge, mailed out?

Yes. Whatever badge you pay for, will get sent to you.

Since the official Hyatt thread is locked, I'll ask here. I was assured in an earlier thread that the suites were going to have a special rate as well. However, when I talked to a reservations person at the Hyatt tonight, they informed me that the suites were still at the regular rate. Two years ago, they were half-price. Is this, or any discount, going to be in effect this year at all? Because there's no way my friends and I can afford $600+ a night for a suite.

Good question, BrightDreamer. They should be proportionately the same, but I'll get you a definite answer soon as possible. Shoot me a PM reminding me, please.

How do you plan to handle mailed badges that don't make it to their intended recipients? It's a problem to be frank with, that things get lost in the mail... will people have to completely re-register and pay again?

In accordance with our original lost badge policy, yes you will have to pay for another badge. However, in the case of a lost mailed badge, you will only have to pay what you paid for the badge initially, minus the $1.50. Many other conventions (fan-based and professional) do badge mailings and use the regular mail. What we will do is before the mailing, we will send out a form email asking for electronic confirmation of your mailing address. I've attended GenCon and have had my badge mailed to me for years, without hassle.

Contrary to popular rumor, things do not get lost in the mail as much as people think. Our postal service is very reliable and efficient. As long as we have your complete address information, we will be able to get your badge to you. The first batch of badges will start mailing at the beginning of April.

Here's a HUGE question that I know a LOT of cosplay group shoots are gonna worry about eventually when they think about it! : Is that ummm tall cr.....umm.. That Statue gonna still be there? That was a HUGE meeting spot for TONS of shoots! XD I don't know WHAT the heck to call that brown statue thing, XD you all know what one I'm talking about XD

Here's a bit of history. That sculpture was there before the hotel was. The Hyatt O'Hare was built on the site of a decommissioned park and the condition was that the sculpture remain on the premises. It will still be there.

When will registration for the media, in order to obtain press passes, be available?

That will start up a little later on after the main pre-registration starts. Check with marketingATacen.org or PM "Sammy45" on the forums for more info.

Is the program book going to be mailed with the badge? I am just curious.

Nope. It would up the mailing cost.

I was always pissed that the big fancy Hyatt had no Jacuzzi, but now there's goig to be NO POOL???? What the hell???
Please tell me they're adding a new one plus a Jacuzzi or something.

Currently, we don't know if they are putting in another one or not. At this point, we know very little about what is being put in, and just a bit more about what is being taken out. When we get more info, we'll let folks know, and if they give us permission, we'll post photos of the new stuff.

Though I do have a couple questions regarding the new changes.

1. As was asked by many folks here, what will be the policy regarding badges lost in the mail? I love the concept of mailing them out, but I don't want to find myself in a bind if it never arrives.

2. What is the difference between a Tier 1 and Tier 2 membership?

To expand on the above answer, the biggest reason for our lost badge policy is to avoid ghosting via passed badges. However, we will not charge the regular at the door price if you present evidence of what you paid for your badge at the con. Please note that this only applies if you opted for having your badge mailed. Otherwise, the standard policy applies (you pay the full at the door price).

Also regarding the tier one and two memberships, as DJ OPM said, the closer you get to the con, the more the membership costs. The reason that most cons do this is that the lower price is sort of a "thank you" for providing the convention with working capital during it's earlier planning stage. The closer the membership comes to the con, the harder it is to process the info because the staff are also doing other things.
The other difference between tier one and two is that the badge mailing option will be available for the entire time of tier one, but only for a limited time during tier two.

Well, that's a wrap on the first round of questions.

Hopefully, this will help you all out with planning your trip to Anime Central.

Till next time, gang....

Be Frosty!
"Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur... goes a Latin proverb. The world wants to be deceived...So let it be deceived."
"If someone stands in the way of true justice, you simply walk up behind them and stab them in the heart."
Henri Ducard (Ras Al Ghul)- Batman Begins
"It is pleasant at times to play the madman..."
Seneca- Roman Dramatist, Philosopher, & Politician
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of nonviolence to cover impotence."
Mahatma Gandhi (1869 - 1948)
Nothing is true. All is permissible."
Hassan I Sabbah- Lord and leader of the Assassins Cult

#37 User is offline   Chibifaery 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 8986

Posted 09 January 2007 - 04:37 PM

I can't thank you enough for all the awesome work the staff has put in to this! We knew you wouldn't let us down, and we weren't worried! Thanks for keeping us in the know!

ACEN HERE WE COME!:D

#38 User is offline   keitaro849 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 78

Posted 09 January 2007 - 05:17 PM

Well most of my questions have already been answered. THe only question I have is when will we be able to pre-register? Is their a link to the form or anything? I just wanna get it registered and over with over here. oh yes and a off-topic question... WILL YOU BRING THE CON SUITE BACK TO LIFE? I MISS MY FREE FOOD T_T

#39 User is offline   mens_pocky06 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 8685

Posted 09 January 2007 - 05:27 PM

keitaro849 said:

Well most of my questions have already been answered. THe only question I have is when will we be able to pre-register? Is their a link to the form or anything? I just wanna get it registered and over with over here. oh yes and a off-topic question... WILL YOU BRING THE CON SUITE BACK TO LIFE? I MISS MY FREE FOOD T_T

My question exactly...I'm sure most of us, if not all of us would like to know when Pre-reg starts. (^^) (I absolutely CANNOT wait till A-Cen...hehe):heart:

#40 User is offline   Cherry_Wolf 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 2860

Posted 09 January 2007 - 05:45 PM

I believe that djfluffkins had said that the new site will be up either tomorrow or thursday, so be on the look out! :heart:
Possible Future Cons- Otakon, Anime Expo, Otakon Vegas, YaoiCon

#41 User is offline   excelMAX 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 1371

Posted 10 January 2007 - 06:23 PM

I pre-regged at Reactor back in October, how would I go about if I wanted my badge mailed to me instead of waiting in the insanely long line thursday night?
Cosplay plans for ACEN 09:
Negi Springfield (Negima!): Friday-Saturday
Rorona Zoro (One Piece) ??
Random Drunken Otaku: Sunday

ACEN Costumes Past: Nabeshin (Excel Saga in 04), Kabuto (Naruto in 05), Sasori (Naruto in 06), Kimura-Sensai (Azumanga Diaoh in 06), Negi Springfield (Green Jacket) (Negima in 07)

Current Anime Addictions: Negima!, City Hunter, Death Note, Naruto

Favorite Animes of all time: Berserk, Negima, Dragonball

#42 User is offline   Loderian 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 8508

Posted 10 January 2007 - 08:33 PM

"That will start up a little later on after the main pre-registration starts. Check with marketingATacen.org or PM "Sammy45" on the forums for more info"

Already talked to Sammy 45, she said that since a new dept. head for media and public relations was added to the staff, they werent sure how things were going to happen.

#43 User is offline   Ohki 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 8930

Posted 10 January 2007 - 08:47 PM

I have heard that online prereg will only become available after tier 2. This distresses me, since I believe our printer is dead.
South Korea likes breasts.
Ukraine has breasts.
She has them in spades.
If South Korea and Ukraine were to hook up...
Then South Korea would never have a shortage of breasts ever again.

#44 User is offline   dchan 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 1155

Posted 10 January 2007 - 08:52 PM

Ohki said:

I have heard that online prereg will only become available after tier 2. This distresses me, since I believe our printer is dead.

Where did you hear something like that? On-line Pre-reg should be up around the same site as the website, I believe.

Do you mean Express Registration? Express Registration is when you fill out all of your information at home and then pay for your membership at the convention. Express Registration isn't going to be available until after Tier 2 is over.

#45 User is offline   Ohki 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 8930

Posted 10 January 2007 - 08:56 PM

dchan said:

Where did you hear something like that?  On-line Pre-reg should be up around the same site as the website, I believe.

Do you mean Express Registration?  Express Registration is when you fill out all of your information at home and then pay for your membership at the convention.  Express Registration isn't going to be available until after Tier 2 is over.

I just heard a weird rumor on Gaia X3. I figured it wasn't true, but wanted to get it clarified.
South Korea likes breasts.
Ukraine has breasts.
She has them in spades.
If South Korea and Ukraine were to hook up...
Then South Korea would never have a shortage of breasts ever again.

#46 User is offline   omni 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 5659

Posted 10 January 2007 - 09:42 PM

Alright, my turn for a question! XD

Some of my friends are planning to go only one day for the convention. I am assuming that the fify dollars at the door price is for the whole three days. If that is true, then what are the individual day prices?
Acen 2011 cosplays

Hungary: Hetalia
Fairy Tail
One Piece

#47 User is offline   keitaro849 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 10 January 2007 - 10:17 PM

So do you have a rough estimate to when the online pre-reg. will be ready?

#48 User is offline   Soshen 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 5134

Posted 10 January 2007 - 10:31 PM

thank.
you.
bejesus.

WE KNOW WHAT'S GOING ON NOW. YAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!

thanks for the thread! It's good to know we're acknowledged! THANK YOU!
I AM THE HEAD OF THE NEKOBOY ALLIANCE INTELLIGENCE AGENCY!! X3 I r b smart. :P

COSPLAY LIST FOR 2008!
1. Taichi Yagami (Tai) from Digimon Adventure (first season) (Progress: 100%)
2. L from Deathnote (Progress: 100%)
3. Shadow the Hedgehog from the game Shadow the Hedgehog (Progress: 78%)
4. Nex from Bomb the Town (anyone wanna be Blurgas?)
5. (this one is a maybe) Little Jimmy Urine from the band Mindless Self Indulgence

ACEN 2007 pictures

Acen 2006 Pictures

My YouTube account!

#49 User is offline   sammy-45 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 42

Posted 11 January 2007 - 06:39 AM

Loderian said:

"That will start up a little later on after the main pre-registration starts. Check with marketingATacen.org or PM "Sammy45" on the forums for more info"

Already talked to Sammy 45, she said that since a new dept. head for media and public relations was added to the staff, they werent sure how things were going to happen.

Loderian when did you talk to me last? Just wondering because in another thread with someone basicly asking the same question I posted this:

HI, One of the departments under me Inside Sales, is the department that is handeling alll the contracts for the vendors this year.

I can tell you a few things about being a vendor, like that for this year we will be in Hall A of the convention center, Hall A is the largest hall that is there. I can also let you know about load-in and out times. But as of yet we are waiting for MAPS to approve the prices for vendors this year. I know that there will be an increase in price due to the size of the new hall, but I can not realese the new price yet.

I am hopeing that MAPS will have the new pries approved soon, so that they will be on the website when it opens.

I hope that info helps more. Also this year we are making it so that vendors can regester online for the con, and pay with a credit card. As you know vendor contracts are rather long, so it takes time to make sure everything is running smoothly. I will check on the prices and see if they have been approved. And then we will have it up and running very soon.
Staff from 2003 to 2010. Currently Retired.

Blessed are the cracked:
for it is they who let in the light!

Go Cubs!!!!GO BEARS!!!!

#50 User is offline   Pyramid Head 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 7667

Posted 12 January 2007 - 01:18 AM

;___; thank you so much for updating!

i seriously jumped out of my chair and spun around! i can not WAIT to tell all my friends! this is our first time going to acen, and hopefully our first time being in the actual hotel the con is at. every time weve been stuck at the overflow- thats why ive been checking every week since august for updates!!!

:heart: QUESTION! do you know if the $139 rate would work for thursday as well? :heart:

#51 User is offline   TheLadyRaven 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 4134

Posted 12 January 2007 - 01:44 AM

Yes, the $139 does apply to Thursday night as well. XP Already called and asked. ^^ Just don't forget to mention ACEN.

Also, just a question so I know, if we send through the mail, right now, instead of paying online, can I still send a check? I just hope if I do sign up for the mailing, that I do get my badge. >< That's one thing I'm worried about.... it's not that I don't trust ACEN and all the staff... I don't trust my postal service sometimes.... ><

(I live in a very small town... they do things differently out here.)

#52 User is offline   bulwhark 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 3621

Posted 12 January 2007 - 04:30 AM

sammy-45 said:

I can tell you a few things about being a vendor, like that for this year we will be in Hall A of the convention center, Hall A is the largest hall that is there.

Hall A? Wow, just wow. Pull up a map and compare that to the the old size and location of Halls B&D. Just wow.

#53 User is offline   Aphrodite 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 6100

Posted 12 January 2007 - 09:27 AM

Ok, I wasn't going to post, but this question just nags at me..
And it might've been asked already in another "ACEN Pre-reg" thread but I reeeaaally don't want to go through ALL of those.

I heard on some other thread, that there's a limit on the special badges (1,000, I think). I was wondering if you can order the special badge on that print-out form (opening Adobe freezes my laptop, else I would look myself)?
And if so, is the toll ringing up, and the limit coming closer, for those of us who are waiting for online pre-reg to open, to get the special badge?

(Did that even make sense?)

#54 User is offline   sammy-45 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 12 January 2007 - 09:42 AM

Yes that made sense!!! You heard about a limited edition badge and you want to know if the limite is near the end yet, because you want one. This info is from the reg section :Special badges:

We will have special 10th anniversary badges! They're grrrrrrrrrreat! Once we have pictures you'll be the first to get them! They will be printed in limited quantities for our anniversary so get your orders (when prereg is open)!! Special badges will be available at 5$ per badges, get them will they're hot!

Note it does not say how many we will be doing. And I am not sure, But I can find out at the meeting, and will let you know.

To answer another question Yes we are still takeing checks and Money Orders for pre-reg. Please, Please make sure they are made out to: The Midwest Animation and Premotion Socitey, or MAPS!!!! Other wise we will not be able to deposit them, and your pre-reg will not go through.

As for Hall A, Yeah I know. When they did the walk through it was just a cavern of space. There will be plenty of room for everything!!! With big alise between sections, no more walking through areas to get to others. It will be really nice!!!

Blessed are the cracked:

Go Cubs!!!!GO BEARS!!!!

#55 User is offline   Brightdreamer 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 1105

Posted 12 January 2007 - 09:45 AM

I've been wondering about this myself. I don't want to miss out on the special badge just because I'm waiting for when they finally put up online pre-reg. If it was only going to be a day or two difference between when the flyer went up and when the website opened, that would be all right, but it's been over a week now.
"You think so too, right?"

#56 User is offline   tyr_malystryxs 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 7799

Posted 12 January 2007 - 11:51 AM

cna u still do a money order for pre-registration or is it something different?
<span style='font-size:7pt;line-height:100%'>All righty then lets get this party started, It doesn't get any better then this</span>.:p :cool:

#57 User is offline   keitaro849 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 12 January 2007 - 12:10 PM

Ok I think i might attempt that offline registration. I hope its not tooo risky. So if I put my credit card information in there does it take long to process the charge on my account?

#58 User is offline   sammy-45 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 12 January 2007 - 04:52 PM

tyr_malystryxs said:

cna u still do a money order for pre-registration or is it something different?

See my above post, cause I already answered this one.

As for the 10 year badges so far no one has gotten one yet,(as far as reg know, we don't know whats in the mail). So its going to be ok. Everyone can stop frecking out about the fact that they might be all gone, cause we have not sold any yet!!!!

Ok I think i might attempt that offline registration. I hope its not tooo risky. So if I put my credit card information in there does it take long to process the charge on my account?

Do you mean in there as in filling out the online form or mailing it in to us?
Cause if you do it online it should be quite fast.
If you mail it to us it would be a few days, because we have to gt the letter, and then prosses it on the computer.

Blessed are the cracked:

Go Cubs!!!!GO BEARS!!!!

#59 User is offline   keitaro849 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 13 January 2007 - 08:00 AM

yeah you're right i should do the online registration

#60 User is offline   TheMagicWithin 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 5842

Posted 13 January 2007 - 09:56 PM

I'm just so happy ^_^

It really brightens your day to get Acen news when you've been sick for almost 3 weeks. (It started with a cough and MUTATED o.O)

Now my only concern is passing geometry so my parents won't change their minds...

but thanks for the news!
ACen 2014:
John Watson: Sherlock
Charlie: Supernatural

Tardis: Doctor Who

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users