• This topic is locked

How Organized is A-Cen?

#1 User is offline   Lady Tenkage 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Purge for Inactivity
  • Member No.: 8795

Posted 17 December 2006 - 01:53 PM

A friend and I are considering attending A-Cen for the first time. We happen to be regular attendees of Colorado's NDK, which is a very well-organized con, though admittedly a smaller one. We were wondering just how organized A-Cen is, according to the experiences of other A-Cen attendees and staff.
"Qua?"

Planned Cosplays;
Rydia Drake, FFIV (Custom Version)
Ayane, DOA Ultimate, C-1 (Purple Ninja)
Kage-Kanbu Shinobi Uniform
Additional Cosplay: Secret!!

Check out my cosplays! http://images.cosplay.com/gallery.php?memb...931&cat=500

#2 User is offline   Cherry_Wolf 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 2860

Posted 17 December 2006 - 04:04 PM

ACen? ORGANIZED!? HA!!! It's mass chaos!!!

:P

I cannot say really... but I think it's as organized as it can be for a convention that has over 12,000 people going to it... they try and they will beat down on those who don't follow the rules. It is the only con I've ever been too... so I don't have any other experiences other than ACen.
Possible 2015 Cosplays- TBA
Thursday-
Friday- Gon Freecs(HunterxHunter) - 0%
Saturday- Shimizu Kiyoko(Haikyuu!!) - 0%
Sunday-

#3 User is offline   sammy-45 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 42

Posted 17 December 2006 - 07:59 PM

I think that for all the crazy-ness that goes on before and during the con that despite that we are pretty well organized. Most events start on time, we do have a few problems sound stuff once in a while but that is common. I think our biggest problem with getting things to start on time is clearing the room from the last event to get set-up done for the next one.

At times things may not look it but really they are going along smoothly.
Staff from 2003 to 2010. Currently Retired.

Blessed are the cracked:
for it is they who let in the light!

Go Cubs!!!!GO BEARS!!!!

#4 User is offline   Kazara 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 4599

Posted 19 December 2006 - 11:55 PM

I think they are fairly organized. I think the Acen staff and coordinators care about their attendees and try to do the best for them.

It does seem like chaos, but there are A LOT of people.
'You should never hurt the feelings of a brutal killer. You know, that's, uh, that's actually some pretty good advice.'

Xander
Crush

#5 User is offline   DJFLuFFKiNS 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 745

Posted 20 December 2006 - 07:30 AM

me love all of you long time! ^_^

Ya I care about all of you! hence why I let you heckle me on aim and spam my wii! ^_^
Sam Chen - Email me

ACen 2011 - Vice Chair
ACen 2008 - 2010 - Guest Relations - Assistant Section Chief (Industry Liaison in 2009, Programming Liaison in 2008)
ACen 2005 - 2007 - Panel Programming - Department Head (ADH in 2005)
ACen 2002 - 2005 - Live Programming - Staff

Follow me on Twitter: djfluffkins

#6 User is offline   Anbaachan 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 2186

Posted 23 December 2006 - 08:31 AM

Although we have our slip ups, time starting problems mainly, for a con that hosts over 12,000 people in one weekend in two different buildings, I'd say were pretty darn organized. We havebeen planning since August, some of us with ideas in are head as soon as ACEN was done last year.

If you're from a small con, you can't compare it to us. We're #4 in the US in size and #1 in the midwest I believe. ACen is an expeirence you will never forget, and with year 10 on it's way, it's sure to blow you right out of this fricken galaxy. That's one of our main goals this year. You miss Acen this year, you'll miss everything. Not saying that we won't be trying to top this year next year, but it is our 10 year anniversary.
Anime Fan Zone - Milwaukee's Newest Anime and Gaming Store!
Visit us in the Vendor Room or check out our games in the Game Room at ACen 2009!

#7 User is offline   Lady Tenkage 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Purge for Inactivity
  • Member No.: 8795

Posted 23 December 2006 - 08:43 AM

So far, I've had some good opinions, and some bad opinions from other people on Cosplay. However, as you said, A-Cen is a big convention, NDK can't really compare. All in all, it sounds like a lot of fun, and I look forward to attending.
"Qua?"

Planned Cosplays;
Rydia Drake, FFIV (Custom Version)
Ayane, DOA Ultimate, C-1 (Purple Ninja)
Kage-Kanbu Shinobi Uniform
Additional Cosplay: Secret!!

Check out my cosplays! http://images.cosplay.com/gallery.php?memb...931&cat=500

#8 User is offline   psyco_chick32 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 1735

Posted 25 December 2006 - 06:32 PM

ACEN is pretty darn awesome... there are two main problems with it organization-wise:

1) It often takes a LONG time to get any official info announced... and then even longer to get information confirmed. From my experiences, much of the "uber-important" (not to diss on anybody else, really!) staff (such as the people "in charge" of hotels and registration) aren't online very much... so by the time you get something confirmed, things have changed. They're pretty lenient, to be sure, but if you like to planplanplan ahead of time (like me), it gets irritating to get down to the wire and still not know.

2) Things generally don't start on time at the con. Then again, this is much more forgivable because there are THOUSANDS of people at the con, and it's hard to move that many people at a time.

#9 User is offline   In Silico 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 4720

Posted 26 December 2006 - 09:25 AM

To address the above comment, the 'really important people' are few in numbers, and have much to do, so it's understandable that they don't always have time to 'blog' the forums with every little step of the way. They're really good about updating us online as soon as they have the info.

Moving people IS a little problem that occurs at ACEN. Then again, it only takes as long to clear them out with human locomotion as it would to bulldoze the people out of the room anyways, so not much we can do there...

Overall, the con runs WAY more smoothly and is VERY MUCH more organized than it should be for the number of people attending vs. the number of people on staff. I give everyone on staff a big THUMBS UP for workin so hard for us! :D

Payed for by Beryl Turner for President and the commision to permanently instate Allen Castillo as the Con Chair.
Contributing funding from Chris King for Secretary of Defense.

~~へ へ~~
\__/\___/

#10 User is offline   psyco_chick32 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 1735

Posted 31 December 2006 - 11:12 AM

In Silico said:

To address the above comment, the 'really important people' are few in numbers, and have much to do, so it's understandable that they don't always have time to 'blog' the forums with every little step of the way.

Now, see, that's totally understandable.

But one would think (or maybe just me, I dunno) that as few of them as there are, they would be in touch with OTHER staff members enough that maybe one out of the entirety of the staff could say with certainty one thing or another.

I love the staff that are actually on the forums, I really do, they're great and friendly and helpful as they can be. But the staff I HAVE spoken with have all informed me that "they're not sure" or "that hasn't really been confirmed yet" or things to that effect.
I can understand the hassle of many people from a wide area having difficulties communicating, especially as this is all volunteer work. But if it is, and if there are so few people working on things, wouldn't you think that that's information that should be shared by the group?

I dunno, I have a morbid "what-if" mind (comes from working in the media too long, I guess), but really: What if the registration head died in a car accident? From the way I see things from talking to other staff, that information would be gone, since it seems to not be being shared with many people. It just seems more logical that a con that has people saying "If you miss this year, you miss everything" would have those same people keeping the people who want to attend the con in the loop, at least a little.

But I do digress... I enjoy ACEN, have enjoyed the con ever since I started going, and should the relevant information be posted within enough time for me to be able to request it off of work (which is actually a very long time, I can't just "call in sick" for the weekend), will be attending this year.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users