• This topic is locked

Bigger Print on the con programs

#1 User is offline   Serenahind 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 5347

Posted 12 November 2006 - 04:29 PM

I brought this up last year. I have a vision disability and I found that trhe convention program books were too small for me to see. Plus I couldn't find any of the panels or programming because there weren't any signs. Is there anything you can do about labeling where things are and having bigger print books?

#2 User is offline   DJFLuFFKiNS 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 745

Posted 12 November 2006 - 06:51 PM

I won't speak on publications' behalf, but there was signage for the rooms. There were NOT signs for "these rooms -> this way"
How did you find the print and the usefulness of the foldout schedule/map?
But yes there were signs... perhaps we can get them bigger, I had my staff specifically put lists of programming on those signs for those rooms (because there were none there and there was some confusion because of changes not making it to print.
Sam Chen - Email me

ACen 2011 - Vice Chair
ACen 2008 - 2010 - Guest Relations - Assistant Section Chief (Industry Liaison in 2009, Programming Liaison in 2008)
ACen 2005 - 2007 - Panel Programming - Department Head (ADH in 2005)
ACen 2002 - 2005 - Live Programming - Staff

Follow me on Twitter: djfluffkins

#3 User is offline   Serenahind 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 12 November 2006 - 10:12 PM

The foldout schedule and map were handy but if the print was bigger it would have been more useful to me. Last year, there were signs but it said like programing 1, programmimng 2 and not what the titles of the panels were. I spent and wasted alot of time finding things last year. I mostly was in the viewing rooms because I could find thiose and those signs were easier to see.

#4 User is offline   sammy-45 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 42

Posted 12 November 2006 - 11:01 PM

I know thereason that the print is so small in the pocket guide is to make it fit in your pocket. So we try to keep the number of pages down, and that means a smaller print.

I know one person came up with the idea of a small hand-held magnafier to help them with the small print. It was not anything nice, but just something to help them out a bit. Just an idea to try.
Staff from 2003 to 2010. Currently Retired.

Blessed are the cracked:
for it is they who let in the light!

Go Cubs!!!!GO BEARS!!!!

#5 User is offline   Alysia 

• MAPS Director
  • PipPip
  • Group: MAPS Board
  • Member No.: 237

Posted 13 November 2006 - 12:00 PM

We are looking at options to improve the readability of both guides. However, there does come a point where we have to think about cost effectiveness and usability for the average person as well.
What type size would you suggest that we use? Without elaboration, it's hard to figure out our target and what we need to do to accomodate special needs.

#6 User is offline   PepeluTivursky 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Purge for Inactivity
  • Member No.: 8314

Posted 13 November 2006 - 04:29 PM

I really do suggest investing in a small magnifying glass. Most of them are pretty cheap, depending on their size.
My husband is legally blind himself so I usually end up reading off menussigns/etc. for him. That's one option if you have someone with you. Otherwise, definetly a magnifying lens.

#7 User is offline   Serenahind 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 13 November 2006 - 05:16 PM

I suggest a 12 or 14 point font and I usually end up romaing by myself because I end up getting separated or ditched by my group. I already have a manigification glass but I still have to cram to read the guides. I usually have to bring a visually impaired cane with me too to handle the stairs. Elevators are way too crowded.

#8 User is offline   Riker 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 17316

Posted 05 December 2006 - 11:12 PM

A couple of theories:

a) Would it be possible to stock a smaller number of "large print program books" for congoers with vision impairments? (Similar to how "large print hymnals" are available in the back of many churches?) They could pick them up from registration or from conops or such if they found it necessary. I know this would be a little expensive -- getting a small quantity of printing done always is -- but it would be a pretty nice solution, if it was affordable.

B) This probably wouldn't work for the entire program book, but could items like the pocket guide/foldout schedule be made available online a few days before the con? Then if people with impairments wanted to print them out at a larger font size themselves, they could. I know there are always last-minute changes but a few corrections or inaccuracies might be worth it if it meant finding the right room more of the time.

I know these solutions aren't perfect, but I think they could be reasonable.

#9 User is offline   sammy-45 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 42

Posted 06 December 2006 - 08:38 AM

This year I am trying to encourage all departments to get more info on the website. That means programming too. What I would like them to do is as they add events and panels to the list to put them on the website with a description of what the event or panel is. This would give you some idea of what you wanted to see at the con.

Now, in no way shape or form, would they have times and locations yet. One it’s too early for times, and two we have to see how the hotel turns out after the re-model that they are doing. From what I understand, we are not going to be losing any event space just some of it will look different. So based on the size we will have to see what events and panels can go in each room.

But I think that just having a list of panels and events on the website with description will help a lot this year. If closer to the con (like 3 to 4 days before) we could get the programming timetables on the website that would be really good.
Staff from 2003 to 2010. Currently Retired.

Blessed are the cracked:
for it is they who let in the light!

Go Cubs!!!!GO BEARS!!!!

#10 User is offline   DJFLuFFKiNS 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 745

Posted 06 December 2006 - 09:23 AM

First off, except for some updates that haven't been made while I'm still busy with school, the panel programming website is up to date with the panels we have recieved so far. http://panelprogramming.com/ will be the primary resource for the information (hopefully we'll get it on the ACen website when it's up).
We'll be possibly implementing CSS for the programming site, and probably making a mailing list (moderated) to announce updates to the website.
This year we'll also be making a push for panelists to get their information in earlier so we can expidited the process of making the schedule. The way I invision the schedule working out this year is that we will have a print version done maybe 2 weeks before the con and switch over to working on an addendum. Most likely that's when you can start seeing a draft copy of the schedule. and from then we'll work on an addendum. Probably the week of the con I won't make any changes to the times and locations of current panels and it'll be locked into just additions and removals.
If any of you out there are good with coding websites and such please contact me because we might have a spot for you to help create a interactive programming schedule for release.
Sam Chen - Email me

ACen 2011 - Vice Chair
ACen 2008 - 2010 - Guest Relations - Assistant Section Chief (Industry Liaison in 2009, Programming Liaison in 2008)
ACen 2005 - 2007 - Panel Programming - Department Head (ADH in 2005)
ACen 2002 - 2005 - Live Programming - Staff

Follow me on Twitter: djfluffkins

#11 User is offline   Smokey 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 6522

Posted 06 December 2006 - 06:47 PM

jazz said:

a) Would it be possible to stock a smaller number of "large print program books" for congoers with vision impairments? (Similar to how "large print hymnals" are available in the back of many churches?) They could pick them up from registration or from conops or such if they found it necessary. I know this would be a little expensive -- getting a small quantity of printing done always is -- but it would be a pretty nice solution, if it was affordable.

Having a copier that can enlarge nearby would work for that. Blowing the smaller guide up to 8.5 x 11 should make it very legible.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users