• You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Newbie >.> With questions

#1 User is offline   Tessasia 

• Pip
  • Group: Purge for Inactivity
  • Member No.: 8405

Posted 01 November 2006 - 03:06 PM

Hello I am a bit confused. This is my first year planning to go to one of these and the first time I have learned that something like this is actually pretty close to where I live thus giving me a chance to attend! I am trying to organize a small party of at the most 6 (or 2-4 at the least) to go to this and they have never tried anything like this either so I am all on my own on this, besides 1 other person who had told me about ACen but I only met him over the summer and never spoke to him since. He basically told me to just sit back and give him a call in May but I am not going to do that because I am not going to depend on someone I barely know so I am trying to do this myself. So I know what to do next time, and the next, and the, well, etc.

If you could help me in just answering any questions I have nicely and not making me sound dumb, that would be very much appreciated, and I will give you a cookie :D Besides I looked over this forum and I just got so lost cause things just go back and forth and are confusing me even more. And I am determined to go this year.

These are just some of my questions I am sure I will have plenty more x.x Sorry you guys but I just need to know and this is one of the only ways I can do this. (And I hope this is where I can post this type of stuff, I'm sorry If I posted in the wrong place!)

Questions
1) Registration?
Why do we need to Register exactly?

2) Pre-Registration?
Now, I saw the whole having a flyer or card thing and sending $30 in to this one place, but is that only for the people who attended what ever it was and have that flyer/card to get in for $30? If we don’t have that how can we Pre-reg anyways so we don’t have to stand in some line for hours upon hours, and does it cost so much per person?

3) How much?
How much would it cost per person? This whole badge thing, we would most likely get the 3 day badge thing for $50 (I believe it was) and is that what you get when you register? Or what your paying for or is it additional?

4) Hotel Reserves
How much does it cost to reserve a room anyway, approx. and being a two bed room? Then how much is a one bed room? I think I read that we can not reserve a room just yet but the dates will be released some time, when they are, how can we reserve a room?

#2 User is offline   DJFLuFFKiNS 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 745

Posted 01 November 2006 - 03:59 PM

Tessasia said:

Questions
     1) Registration?
Why do we need to Register exactly?

Well eventually you'll need to register so you can buy a badge for the con. ^_^ Think of it as an entrance ticket.

Tessasia said:

2) Pre-Registration?
Now, I saw the whole having a flyer or card thing and sending $30 in to this one place, but is that only for the people who attended what ever it was and have that flyer/card to get in for $30?  If we don’t have that how can we Pre-reg anyways so we don’t have to stand in some line for hours upon hours, and does it cost so much per person?

The flyer is a promotional program for those who attend some of our partner/friend cons. Essentially at the ACen table at cons such as Reactor, Youmacon, SugoiCon and Ohayocon (Jay can add more later). There will be special flyers that let you preregister at the 30$ rate.
Prices for the rest are not yet released yet. They will be roughly what they were last year, give or take 5-10$s I know that's vague, if Jay has been cleared to announce the numbers he'll come in and do so.
We also might have a little present to our preregistered attendees as far as lines... y'never know ^_^.

so in the end, more than 30$ per person, lines = ?

Don't have a flyer? no problem! We will have preregistration up soon. Keep checking the website and forums for that information. It'll be nice and easy goings.

Tessasia said:

3) How much?
How much would it cost per person?  This whole badge thing, we would most likely get the 3 day badge thing for $50 (I believe it was) and is that what you get when you register?  Or what your paying for or is it additional?

You get access to the convention for the weekend. That includes all our programming (except for the Masquerade Ball which is a 10$ ticket with proceeds going to charity, Children's Memorial Hospital). That price for the badge is what you pay if you show up at the con and pay at the "door." If you preregister, you'll probably pay less, and wait in less of a line.

Tessasia said:

4) Hotel Reserves
How much does it cost to reserve a room anyway, approx. and being a two bed room?  Then how much is a one bed room?  I think I read that we can not reserve a room just yet but the dates will be released some time, when they are, how can we reserve a room?

Hotel hates have not been announced. The dates have, May 11-13th. You simply call the Hyatt (if you have troubles finding the number google O'hare hyatt) and call and request a room in the ACen block for that time. I think previously the rooms that you're talking about go for about 130$ a night. Just so you know, some of the people have already called and reserved even though no rates have been announced. Dunno if that's what you should do... Someone else pays for my room ;)

More questions? keep asking
Sam Chen - Email me

ACen 2011 - Vice Chair
ACen 2008 - 2010 - Guest Relations - Assistant Section Chief (Industry Liaison in 2009, Programming Liaison in 2008)
ACen 2005 - 2007 - Panel Programming - Department Head (ADH in 2005)
ACen 2002 - 2005 - Live Programming - Staff

Follow me on Twitter: djfluffkins

#3 User is offline   sammy-45 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 42

Posted 01 November 2006 - 08:52 PM

Sam I was going to help but you did such a great job!!!!

I just want to ad one thing.

You can NOT resrve a room online for the O'Hare Hyatt, or over the phone USEING the 1800 number listed for the Hyatt. Both of those will tell you that the Hyatt is sold out for that weekend- WHICH IT IS NOT YET SOLD OUT- what really is going on is that Acen has a hold on most of the rooms for their fans, so you have to call the O'Hare Hyatt to get a room. We will have the O'Hare Hyatt's phone number up when the room rates for this year are posted.

I hope this dose not confuse anyone, but many people get confused by that every year.
Staff from 2003 to 2010. Currently Retired.

Blessed are the cracked:
for it is they who let in the light!

Go Cubs!!!!GO BEARS!!!!

#4 User is offline   Moogle_21 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 2191

Posted 01 November 2006 - 08:58 PM

You also don't need to pre-register if you don't want to either. You can get badges at the convention as well, and for specific days if you only plan on being there for a day. However the registration lines are much shorter for people who pre-register.

#5 User is offline   Tessasia 

• Pip

Posted 03 November 2006 - 02:54 PM

(:.)

To zeh djfluffkins! THANK YOU for being so kind as to answer moi questions in a nice manner! :D *Glomps* (My lame attempt to make a cookie XD I tried.)

Okie, well I got some more questions, aren't you all excited to hear 'em? ^^ All I have to say this is more difficult then I thought it would be to plan all of this especially trying to plan it with a group. Oi. And its not a HUGE group but still its difficult.

Questions pt. II

1) Parking? and related. . .
I think I got someone to be the driver if I can not do it (I still need to get my license ><) and well they suggested taking the train up there. And I really don't want to becuase for one, the luggage. I am planning to be down there for 5 days straight, I wanted to get there a day before the convention and leave a day after, so it will be like May 10-14 for us (which means lots of luggage >.>). Now, is this Hotel relatively close to the convention so we can like walk to it and leave the car somewhere? If so, someone told me we would have to pay somewhere for parking, so, do we? If so, how much would that be?

2) Lights, camera, COSTUME!
Do we have to wear anime related costumes? Or game related (Final Fantasy, etc.) Or can we wear, like almost anything? Almost like a halloween type thing, we can dress up as a angel, or maybe even our own character (for example I role play and I have been writing a few books so I have over 100 characters and may dress up as one of them). Or even a character from a movie (I saw somewhere about someone dressed up as a thing from Saw) or maybe superman? (XD One of the peeps I am hoping to get to come really like superman and I dunno, he may want to dress up as that) or can we just go as ourselves? Just to walk around and enjoy the costumes of others and just take a load of pictures and etc.

#6 User is offline   DJFLuFFKiNS 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 745

Posted 03 November 2006 - 03:29 PM

Tessasia said:

1) Parking? and related. . .

So the hotel IS the convention. We have programming in the hotel AND the convention center. The masquerade ball was in a different hotel but that's a special event. The hotel will charge a parking fee. It's usually 40$s for the weekend. But since I moved out of state, I fly in and therefore have no idea what the deals for 5 days are. If you're really worried about the fees you can do long term parking at O'Hare, and take your luggage to the airport, then take the complementary shuttle from O'Hare to the Hyatt. That might be a little annoying though. There is a train station right outside the Hyatt, maybe 100 yards away. You could park there but they won't let you park for the entire weekend. Having not parked there I don't know the tricks around it.

Tessasia said:

2) Lights, camera, COSTUME!

You most certainly do not need to wear something anime related... Obviously good taste and nothing breaking the law would be important. You can definitely just walk around and enjoy. I do that a lot. I've kinda taken to dressing up in my suit, or tux, or perhaps as Mickey Mouse! (aka the suit + a hat). But have fun with it. We don't see a lot of Superman costumes, just note that if you dress in something others don't recognize, they might ask you where it's from, and that might turn into a long conversation, but that shouldn't deter you.

More questions if you've got em ;)
Sam Chen - Email me

ACen 2011 - Vice Chair
ACen 2008 - 2010 - Guest Relations - Assistant Section Chief (Industry Liaison in 2009, Programming Liaison in 2008)
ACen 2005 - 2007 - Panel Programming - Department Head (ADH in 2005)
ACen 2002 - 2005 - Live Programming - Staff

Follow me on Twitter: djfluffkins

#7 User is offline   Tessasia 

• Pip

Posted 08 November 2006 - 12:14 AM

Just another question having to do with the con. Ok, my friend also like, is obsessed with WoW (World of Warcraft) and he wants to dress up as one of his characters and most likely will (if he goes >< He better or imma kill him). Has anyone else done that before? Will there by chance be any sort of WoW stuff there? (I doubt it but I thought I'd ask for him) like a booth? I dunno-its probably a dumb question but I just thought i'd ask.

#8 User is offline   Wolftin 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 6866

Posted 08 November 2006 - 09:09 AM

I know that my wife is planning on going as a mithra from Final Fantasy XI so it would not be to odd for him to do that. He may be mistaken for something else though (not sure about WOW never played it myself). There will be alot fo cosplayers there so if you think it wold be strange doing it i sware to you that you would fit right in if you do.

Also about the hotel. I called yeterday (11-07-06) and they said there already out of double bed rooms >.< oerukek;adjkfjdkj;asdfkasdlkjk..crap
Just FYI this year there runnign out fast
If you see some one anywhere named Wolftin, 99% sure it is me :D
Soldier of the Glomp Team
A member of the glomp team's Glomp Wolf Duo *wolfglomps you*

#9 User is offline   Sayuri-chan 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 3228

Posted 08 November 2006 - 09:47 PM

Tessasia said:

Just another question having to do with the con. Ok, my friend also like, is obsessed with WoW (World of Warcraft) and he wants to dress up as one of his characters and most likely will (if he goes >< He better or imma kill him).  Has anyone else done that before?  Will there by chance be any sort of WoW stuff there? (I doubt it but I thought I'd ask for him) like a booth?  I dunno-its probably a dumb question but I just thought i'd ask.

Hey, no question is a dumb question. ^^ And don't be surprised if your friend isn't the only one in WoW costume. The gaming community is ga-ga over it, and I'm sure there will be multiple cosplays of characters from it. Hope this helps! :)

Kristen~
♥ ACen REG STAFF: 2005-2008 ♥
♥ Persona owns my soul. Proud to be a member of the UYFA! Proud Supporter of the I.R.T.!
"The Chumps" are back to entertain and amuse. Come join us Friday, in Panel Room 4 from 12:30-2:45pm, and Saturday/Sunday in Panel Room 12, from 12:45-3:15a.
Cosplay for 2014 ACen:|Skull Kid--LOZ: Majora's Mask/0% complete|||Genkai-Yuu Yuu Hakusho/100% complete|||Sir Integra Fairbrook Wingates Hellsing-Hellsing Ultimate Abridged Ver./75% complete
Current quote: "Costumes, I need to do that still...Costumes, I need to do that still...Costumes, I need to do that still..."
Current blurb: はい、少し日本語を話します。たのしすぎる! ♪♫♪♫音楽が大好き!♪♫♪♫

#10 User is offline   ToraRaven 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 4859

Posted 09 November 2006 - 01:04 PM

Just so you know, my friends and I went last year and parked in a parking lot across from the convention center, and behind double tree, embassy suites, ect. Its across from the rosemont theater and it was really cheap, really HUGE, and we just walked over to the con. I dont know why people dont bother to use that garage, maybe we're not supposed to? I suggest you try though. Go around to the side entrance (across from the theater) though because my mom went into the same lot from the entrance right behind embassy suites and they charged her ALOT more. Maybe that's their section or something. Anyway, yea, pre-reg is a quicker way to register, its usually cheaper then normal at-con prices, and you do usually avoid long lines. Here are some other tips though.
If you get a room in the hyatt or a close hotel and intend on spending the weekend (actually, this goes for even if you're just there for the day and go home after) BRING YOUR OWN FOOD!!!! Everything there costs an arm and a leg, even though this year i think i noticed prices went slightly down. Bring a cooler though to the hotel and fill it with munchies and drinks. Bring lots of water too!
WEAR COMFY SHOES. You'll be doing lots of walking.
Gosh, i think i'll private message you, Tessasia. I can think of numerous tips.
*sigh* the days of being a newbie....it feels like just yesterday when i went to my first ACEN convention....

#11 User is offline   neomiroku 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 1692

Posted 09 November 2006 - 02:17 PM

I agree bring comfy shoes... I think i'll bring my sandals for night time crusing of the halls and rooms :) and have my running shoes or regular shoes for walking around..both are comfortable for me.

as for hotel food, we didn't bother..and it's expensive from what I've heard..never really checked.

but I remember the only year i went in 2004..was that we ordered a pizza at like midnight friday night/saturday morning and that's only cause we were hungry and all..and the only problem was the pizza was freakin' huge and we only ordered a medium..anyways me and my friend had to eat the whole thing cause we didn't want it to get spoiled and the rooms don't have any refrigerators..not even dorm room type ones. soo...either eat all the food on a binge ..which isn't a bad idea..but can make u bloated like crazy orrrr bring along a cooler.

and I was really confused where to go when i first go there too, like I went to the hotel and just saw a whole bunch of people in costumes near the hotel desks and i was freakin' out cause i didn't know what to do..

and luckily I called up the people I was supposed to room with and they told me where to go. btw I didn't know the people I was rooming with in RL (real life)..I just met them on the forums. they were koo guys and 1 girl she just needed a place to store her costumes and clothes.

I'm gonna freak out again I'm sure, since I got more things to worry about this year...(2007). but as long as you got someone with you..everything is pretty much easy..cause they'll usually calm you down and not make u jump off into the road haaaaaaaaaaahahaha j/k ..

oh yeah, and another food tip, just drive by to the near by restaurants..like for breakfast or lunch.. mcdonalds. I don't remember what I had for dinner saturday night..or even if I had anything at all, I just remember drinking beer and a huge bottle of trail mix. hahaha.

bring money for food ..that's a good tip :)
"he is the ONE", yeah the one that gropped my A**!"

#12 User is offline   sammy-45 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 42

Posted 13 November 2006 - 01:32 PM

I also recommend takeing the train. One its cheaper then parking your car for 5 days in a lot and not moving it so you dont lose your spot. Two less to worry about.

I know your concerned with the laggage thing, but belive it or not people travel cross the county on trains. For a short trip you should be fine. Just pack in one large suitcase, and a carry back.

Also the rate last year for parking at the hotel for 4 days was something like $70. Both my husband and I were really suprised at that rate.

I will find out what the rate is for the hotel's parking and post it up so you know how much it will be a day. But train tickets will be cheaper, and easier even with all the baggage.
Staff from 2003 to 2010. Currently Retired.

Blessed are the cracked:
for it is they who let in the light!

Go Cubs!!!!GO BEARS!!!!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users