Anime Central Forums: rhetorical question: Why can't we all get along? (the title is an understatement) - Anime Central Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

rhetorical question: Why can't we all get along? (the title is an understatement)

#1 User is offline   Kasemei 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 5705

Posted 30 September 2006 - 11:51 PM

The following was a post that I made in another thread titled “I wish I could’ve depended on the Chinese communists.”

“We all make mistakes, and it doesn't matter just as long as we learn from those mistakes. We're all only people, and we should treat others the way we want to be treated. So someone messes up, do you waste your time screaming at them and not try to resolve the issue or do you actually take the time to help them sort things through? You may want someone to think one way, but they think the other way. You can't upright be like, "you're wrong." but you have to show them how and help them learn how their outlook may not be the only one.”

We all make mistakes in life, and it would be nice to forgive and forget. The only problem is that may not always be applicable to each case. In each mistake, someone is hurt, regardless if it’s yourself and others. The discussion in the thread that the quote above was taken from above had started as a nasty bash-in on the entire Chinese race because ONE solitary person didn’t send something in. I’ll be the first to admit, I was furious when I read the post. You have good times, you have bad times. Sometimes you may be lucky enough to win the lottery, other times you may have the luck of falling in front of an 18 wheeler speeding down the highway at ninety miles an hour.

You may be asking why I posted this up. Here is something I want you to think about. “Why can’t we all get along?” That’s it. Who knew only six words could mean so much, other than the 3 words I love you and the two words I do. What would happen in the world, if everyone put away their weapons and actually called for peace? I know we have allies, but even if we have allies in Europe, it doesn’t mean we have allies in the Middle East. There are people out there in Africa dying from AIDS, but shouldn’t other countries be helping the US in the Fight against AIDS? We all coexist on one earth. People get along all the time, but why do people not get along with others? People say there’s no easy solution, but could there actually be one? I know not all problems can be solved as easily as the one that occurred in the thread that was mentioned above, but couldn’t we make a move to start settling disputes that way? Yes, I know people will think I sound naïve in this, and who knows, maybe someone will think I’m intelligent. I just hope that I can get some people to think about who we are as individuals, and what happens if disputes run unresolved. This came to me while I was replying and reading the thread above. I’d like to know your opinions. Thank you.
Floating around the forums every so often.

Cosplays for 2011: Ciel Phantomhive Ballgown from Kuroshitsuji, Toph Bei Fong Fire Nation Disguise from Avatar: The Last Airbender, Revolutionary Girl Utena Schoolgirl outfit, and Meiling Hong from the Touhou Project.

#2 User is offline   sentinel28a 

• Mad Irishman
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 1435

Posted 01 October 2006 - 01:59 AM

Kasemei, answer that question and you have solved a riddle that has stumped humanity since Day One. Sad but true.

Humans are violent, because we live in a violent world--we were first fighting nature for survival (not being eaten by sabertooths, for instance), and then we were fighting each other for land, over what name to call God (which is rather dumb, when you think about it), resources, or women. Things haven't changed much, though now we've progressed--if that can be the right word for it--to the point that we've produced weapons that can wipe out everything on the planet, except possibly bacteria. Strangely enough, Europe has enjoyed its longest period of peace thanks to invention of nuclear weapons!

I think the majority of humanity would like to live in peace, free to make money, laze around, and watch anime (or maybe that's just us here on the boards). Sadly, there's always got to be some SOB that wants to screw with it because he or she thinks they're right and everyone else on earth is wrong, and therefore everyone who disagrees must die. Just naming the jerks of the 20th Century is depressing enough; throw in the jerks of recorded human history, and it's a wonder we haven't wiped ourselves out yet. Call it Lockeian impulse or grace of God, I guess.

Luckily, when those jerks come around, there always seems to be someone or a lot of someones willing to take them on. Hitler, the Japanese militarists, and Mussolini were matched by FDR, Churchill, and the Russian people (I'm not counting Stalin, because I think Russia beat the Germans in spite of Uncle Joe and not because of him). That's one example; I can think of many others, though many on this board would not agree with me.

Ben Da Mad Irishman
See my art. Love it. Hug it. http://sentinel28a.d...art.com/gallery
Read my fanfiction. NOW. You'll thank me later.
First Place, Yahoo ACen League, 2006
First Place, NFL.com Otaku Amefuto League, 2012

Those who stand for nothing will fall for anything.
BEAR CAV!

#3 User is offline   Kasemei 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 5705

Posted 01 October 2006 - 09:45 AM

*sigh* I just wish that more people would actually take the time to try and help, rather than just sit back and watch.
Floating around the forums every so often.

Cosplays for 2011: Ciel Phantomhive Ballgown from Kuroshitsuji, Toph Bei Fong Fire Nation Disguise from Avatar: The Last Airbender, Revolutionary Girl Utena Schoolgirl outfit, and Meiling Hong from the Touhou Project.

#4 User is offline   randy 

• Pip
  • Group: Purge for Inactivity
  • Member No.: 7996

Posted 01 October 2006 - 05:46 PM

The root of all evil is money which causes people to steal and religion causes war. If your christian then you should know where humanity went wrong and that is Adam for wanting a soul mate and eve telling him to eat the fruit. After they ate the fruit i think they became as smart as God but not a God and God wanted no one to know truth and i believe most religions have something in common and that is a almighty being but which is true or is there not a almighty being true after we answer this the world would probably be the same because some people don't want to exept truth. If we do find out the truth that God doesn't exist and we just fade away after we die the world would be in chaos because people would stop praying and do whatever they wanted. People pray and do good deeds to get into heaven so they don't suffer anymore right well if there isn't a heaven then people wouldn't be praying and most likely reak havok on the world because they've been praying for nothing.

#5 User is offline   astro girl 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 5188

Posted 01 October 2006 - 09:57 PM

Humans want to be/feel superior to others.
They have to think they're better - except thinking isn't enough, they have to prove it.
There's many people who aren't aggressive about this [me and all the other hippie-like people of the world], but deep down it still exists.

Being better than someone else also involves having things you want [to make yourself feel better] and especially having things that others don't have. Thus the fight for land, money, oil and in children - crayons or toys.

Different personalities and narrowminds don't help either.
spaceship/eljay/music

intelligence without ambition is a bird without wings.
[dali]

#6 User is offline   randy 

• Pip

Posted 02 October 2006 - 12:40 PM

not all people want to be superior to feel good about themselves like me i don't care about be superior to someone cause someone is always gonna beat me in something so i just give up when i am happy with my progress in anything i do :D

#7 User is offline   GiveUpTheGhost 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 3441

Posted 02 October 2006 - 01:41 PM

The world will never get along because of the chevy trucks and dodge trucks debates. THis will be the destruction of humanity!
My barren plan to be a better man
Rots in abandoned fields
These idle hands inherit spoiled lands
As the hungry become the pigs
We reap (and) we sow
We mourn who we were
Love what we lost

#8 User is offline   randy 

• Pip

Posted 02 October 2006 - 01:46 PM

lol we are being serious here though this isn't a goof off thread

#9 User is offline   sentinel28a 

• Mad Irishman
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 03 October 2006 - 05:02 AM

Randy, if we can't joke around, then the thread gets too serious, people start getting angry at each other, and we end up basically proving Kamenei right.

I mean, look at it this way--we could avoid all this stuff with North Korea if we would just field one or two Evas. The thought of a manic-depressive young Japanese boy and a crazed German girl running into Pyongyang and stomping everything would give Kim Jong-Il reason to think about not developing a nuke. Because, as we all know, nukes can't penetrate an AT field. See? Now that's funny.

And I don't think that money is quite the root of all evil, and religion doesn't cause wars. We need money to buy neat anime stuff that we don't need and will forget about in a month (except my Kirara plushie; that I hug every day). And it's not religion that's the problem, it's what idiots do with it. Get this--the Sunni and the Shi'a Muslims hate each other, right? They're willing to murder each other wholesale in Iraq right now, neh? And what's the whole thing over? Who got to succeed Mohammed almost 1000 years ago. That doesn't seem worth killing over to me, but it doesn't seem to stop them. Heck, 600 years ago, Christians were doing pretty much the same thing (with a lower casualty rate because high explosives hadn't been invented yet) over whether or not God meant this or Jesus said that.

God must be pretty disappointed in us.

Ben Da Mad Irishman

BEAR CAV!

#10 User is offline   Keiran928 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 6158

Posted 03 October 2006 - 10:53 AM

Side note before getting back on topic. "money is the root of all evil" is actually a misquote. The King James translation is "the love of money is the root of all evil" and a more current, more accurate translation is "the love of money is the root of all kinds of evil". Stated that way, I have to agree. Not just money, but possessions. When your biggest priority is money, you're more likely to make immoral choices in that pursuit. And then there's coveting, when someone else has better stuff than you, which in extreme cases can result in violence in trying to take it outright.

Even in general, focusing on money and stuff distorts your values and priorities, which in turn determine your attitudes and actions.

Couple this with ingrained, often erronious beliefs about others and the innate need of humans to be superior, quite messy situations arise.

On a positive note, as they say, knowing is half the battle. When we're honest about and aware of our flaws, we can begin to work to change them.

But then again, we don't always like to take honest looks at ourselves. It's ugly sometimes, the truth.
(_/)
(O.o) This is Bunny. Add Bunny to your signature
(> <) to help him achieve world domination.

#11 User is offline   sentinel28a 

• Mad Irishman
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 05 October 2006 - 02:34 AM

"On a positive note, as they say, knowing is half the battle."

YO, JOE!

Ben Da Mad Irishman
"I am such a geek"

BEAR CAV!

#12 User is offline   randy 

• Pip

Posted 07 October 2006 - 02:48 PM

true but the hard part is to learn to live it

#13 User is offline   lazerflesh 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 527

Posted 09 October 2006 - 08:16 PM

The war with Iraq is a fabricated war of Christian vs Muslam. The Christians have been trying to take over this country completely and just now are moving faster than ever. They must be stopped my friends.
Lulz is a CORRUPTION of the internet word L.O.L.

#14 User is offline   GiveUpTheGhost 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 3441

Posted 10 October 2006 - 06:42 AM

ahahaha thats not a conspiracy theory or anything of the sort.
My barren plan to be a better man
Rots in abandoned fields
These idle hands inherit spoiled lands
As the hungry become the pigs
We reap (and) we sow
We mourn who we were
Love what we lost

#15 User is offline   Mr_Invader 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 2700

Posted 20 December 2006 - 02:17 PM

lazerflesh said:

The war with Iraq is a fabricated war of Christian vs Muslam. The Christians have been trying to take over this country completely and just now are moving faster than ever. They must be stopped my friends.

Justin, that is one of the single most retarded things I have ever read. I feel like to make up for reading that, I must stick my hand in a sock full of razor blades in order to punish myself for contemplating the meaning of what you just said.

Of all the things you can criticize about the war, you say it's a way America is forcing Christianity on America, or something to the extent. I think my brain stopped working at this point.

Oil makes sense. Stopping terrorism makes sense. Building a strategic middle eastern base of great value makes sense. Liberating oppressed people makes sense.

Trying to destroy Muslims (note the spelling. I got it right) in America by fighting a war overseas does not make sense.

If you want to stop them, go right ahead. I'm sure if you swing a baseball bat wildly in the air for five minutes, your battle will be won.
You are all diseased

#16 User is offline   RinkinPark HP84 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 717

Posted 20 December 2006 - 02:20 PM

Newski...you got to it before me.
"I'm not changing direction, I'm stepping my game up. Maintaining my name, the same way that I came up. You're gonna see that I'm not playing, and start asking the names that I'm not saying. But I'm trying not to mention the names of people who wanna siphon attention. You like the hype but pretending you're part of the picture, won't pass. You're like a high school dropout, no class. You can say what you want about me. Keep talking while I'm walking away" - Fort Minor

Acen Original Est.1999

#17 User is offline   Lesser_Shoe 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 7048

Posted 21 December 2006 - 07:28 AM

I think, which dosen't make me right, that the world is in an age of "proxy wars" were the the most powerful countries, G8, fight over power and prestige in the poorest countries wether it is covert, sout america in the 70's, or overt, like Iraq. If nothing is done now we may be in a large pickel.

The world won't be peaceful untill we dissolve all borders, people need to see themselfs as the human race, not by nationality or creed.
I need talk,

AIM:greatershoe (yes I upgraded):cool:
Upoc: lessershoe
Email: greatershoe@aol.com

If you can't buy it, then don't steal it.... :mad:

#18 User is offline   Mr_Invader 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 2700

Posted 22 December 2006 - 12:04 PM

Lesser_Shoe said:

I think, which dosen't make me right, that the world is in an age of "proxy wars" were the the most powerful countries, G8, fight over power and prestige  in the poorest countries wether it is covert, sout america in the 70's, or overt, like Iraq. If nothing is done now we may be in a large pickel.

The world won't be peaceful untill we dissolve all borders, people need to see themselfs as the human race, not by nationality or creed.

Problem is people are stupid and irrational. Some people actually think the country of ones birth means something besides the geographic location where you reside. That some countries are inherently superior to others (Sure, there might be more freedoms, better government, but this is besides the point).

We still war over religion. Hell, we still put the needs of God in front of the needs of our fellow man. What's so rational about that? Our mentally incompetent world is not based on rationalism, though. Right now, it's based on world leaders thwapping their dicks around, trying to find out whose is bigger.

(Metaphorically speaking. It's a world where leaders are driven by power and a thirst for power and supremecy and not the good of the people in the country, or other countries).

Democracy is a great thing. Even a representative one like we have in America. Problem with a representative democracy is that people can be so easily manipulated into voting for people who are not looking out for the interests of everyone, but looking for the same power and supremecy (and, of course, money). Problem with a true democracy is the majority of people are stupid and probably do not have the cranial capacity to decide things for themselves.

Of course, if you teach people, and keep handing more and more power to them, and move from a crappy representative democracy to a dictatorship of the proleteriet, people will be able to do it. This is over time.
You are all diseased

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users